PDA

View Full Version : Callis, BBA release new Top 100 draft board

rico43
04-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Says that top three players have separated themselves. Sigh. I would be a little miffed if it turns out all the experts who said the Braves' good September would cost them. But that's exactly what we're talking about here (Braves draft fifth).

MLB Pipeline's Top 10 Draft prospects
1. Hunter Greene, RHP/SS, Notre Dame (Calif.) HS
2. Brendan McKay, LHP/1B, Louisville
3. Kyle Wright, RHP, Vanderbilt
4. Royce Lewis, SS/OF, JSerra Catholic (Calif.) HS
5. MacKenzie Gore, LHP, Whiteville (N.C.) HS
6. Jeren Kendall, OF, Vanderbilt
7. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina
8. Pavin Smith, 1B, Virginia
9. Austin Beck, OF, North Davidson (N.C.) HS

10. Nick Pratto, 1B, Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS

LINK (http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=draft)

smootness
04-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Says that top three players have separated themselves. Sigh. I would be a little miffed if it turns out all the experts who said the Braves' good September would cost them. But that's exactly what we're talking about here (Braves draft fifth).

MLB Pipeline's Top 10 Draft prospects
1. Hunter Greene, RHP/SS, Notre Dame (Calif.) HS
2. Brendan McKay, LHP/1B, Louisville
3. Kyle Wright, RHP, Vanderbilt
4. Royce Lewis, SS/OF, JSerra Catholic (Calif.) HS
5. MacKenzie Gore, LHP, Whiteville (N.C.) HS
6. Jeren Kendall, OF, Vanderbilt
7. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina
8. Pavin Smith, 1B, Virginia
9. Austin Beck, OF, North Davidson (N.C.) HS

10. Nick Pratto, 1B, Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS

LINK (http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=draft)

It's the MLB draft. If someone says the top 3 are clearly ahead of the rest, you can pretty much bet someone outside the top 3 will end up being the best player in the draft.

I wish we were drafting higher, but it's not going to cost us in any real sense. It's not like Kyle Wright has separated himself as some clearly superior draft prospect. I think the two players with the most upside in the draft are Greene and Beck. I also like Lewis, Gore, Bukauskas, and Adell. I like the potential of all those guys more than McKay and Wright. So if you're feeling down, just keep in mind what smootness' opinion is...and then realize that while I know nothing close to what these guys know, my opinion is also roughly as valuable.

cajunrevenge
04-27-2017, 09:44 PM
I bet we pick someone not in that top 10.

auyushu
04-27-2017, 09:45 PM
It's the MLB draft. If someone says the top 3 are clearly ahead of the rest, you can pretty much bet someone outside the top 3 will end up being the best player in the draft.

I wish we were drafting higher, but it's not going to cost us in any real sense. I

You have no idea if it's going to cost us until the draft comes around. This time last year Moniak was just inside the top 15 of prospects, and he went #1. If Beck winds up going top 4 after teams get a better look at him since he's returned from injury then it could very well cost our chance at a nice power bat we need.

Southcack77
04-27-2017, 09:54 PM

I'm guessing the pick is in that top 10 this time.

smootness
04-27-2017, 10:35 PM
You have no idea if it's going to cost us until the draft comes around. This time last year Moniak was just inside the top 15 of prospects, and he went #1. If Beck winds up going top 4 after teams get a better look at him since he's returned from injury then it could very well cost our chance at a nice power bat we need.

Just saying that in the grand scheme of percentages, picking 2nd or 3rd vs. picking 5th in the MLB draft doesn't really mean a whole lot. It can, sure. Just like you can get lucky taking a guy at 5 that you wouldn't have taken at 3.

Like I said, I wish we were picking higher because it means we would have our pick of more guys. But the attention it gets on this board is absolutely insane.

msstate7
04-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Braves need Brent rooker in 2nd round

mqt
04-27-2017, 10:51 PM

I just don't see the pool money that makes us go too far off script.

smootness
04-28-2017, 07:40 AM
Braves need Brent rooker in 2nd round

I would be totally and completely cool with that.

I think he could handle LF defensively without a problem.

Russ2dollas
04-28-2017, 07:54 AM
I think I saw a cold weather HS pitcher ranked in the 15-10 range by Klaw. From Minnesota or something like that. We'll get him at a below slot deal. No doubt.

thewupk
04-28-2017, 08:01 AM
I think I saw a cold weather HS pitcher ranked in the 15-10 range by Klaw. From Minnesota or something like that. We'll get him at a below slot deal. No doubt.

And say he was #1 on our board the whole time

Southcack77
04-28-2017, 08:04 AM
And say he was #1 on our board the whole time

But will he turn out to be the most dominant draftee in his first season in the pros, though?

bravesfanMatt
04-28-2017, 08:11 AM
But will he turn out to be the most dominant draftee in his first season in the pros, though?

Small details

cajunrevenge
04-28-2017, 08:17 AM
I just don't see the pool money that makes us go too far off script.

It's not going to be about draft pool. The Braves don't pick based on what the "experts" rank players. They have their own big board that I am sure is wildly different.

thewupk
04-28-2017, 08:20 AM

There is always a chance

Pugfan
04-28-2017, 09:12 AM
M. Gore is the player I'm hoping we draft. 4 above average pitches already.

50PoundHead
04-28-2017, 09:58 AM

And the concerns about Beck not showing enough with wood bats may be valid and his perceived swing problems may be real and he flames out terribly. MLB draft is always the most difficult to gauge. We'll get a good player and maybe a difference maker. I'll let you know in three or four years.

Southcack77
04-28-2017, 10:00 AM
There is always a chance

Sometimes the braves just get lucky I guess. Usually when something good happens. Definitely wasn't a good evaluation.

Southcack77
04-28-2017, 10:01 AM
M. Gore is the player I'm hoping we draft. 4 above average pitches already.

From the left side.

CJ9
04-28-2017, 10:25 AM
I've been pretty heavily on the "draft a hitter only" bandwagon, but I'm starting to change my thoughts just a little bit.

The college hitters in this draft suck so I'm not thinking about them at all at 5. With Royce Lewis and Austin Beck, while I really like them and would be happy with them, one thing to consider is the track they'd be on. Lewis or Beck would start 2018 in Rome, which is where Maitan and a decent amount of international signees are likely to start, and that group was heavy on hitters. That should be a decent group of hitting prospects there, so it might make sense to pair some high school arms with them as they grow together. Unfortunately for those of us who wish we had more hitting prospects anywhere from Rome to Gwinnett now, no one in this draft is going to join that group and make us feel better about the immediate future of our offense.

50PoundHead
04-28-2017, 10:48 AM
I've been pretty heavily on the "draft a hitter only" bandwagon, but I'm starting to change my thoughts just a little bit.

The college hitters in this draft suck so I'm not thinking about them at all at 5. With Royce Lewis and Austin Beck, while I really like them and would be happy with them, one thing to consider is the track they'd be on. Lewis or Beck would start 2018 in Rome, which is where Maitan and a decent amount of international signees are likely to start, and that group was heavy on hitters. That should be a decent group of hitting prospects there, so it might make sense to pair some high school arms with them as they grow together. Unfortunately for those of us who wish we had more hitting prospects anywhere from Rome to Gwinnett now, no one in this draft is going to join that group and make us feel better about the immediate future of our offense.

So many of the 2016 international signings were infielders, so I am curious as to whether all of those guys will stay in the infield or if some will move to the outfield. This isn't the NFL draft, so it's crazy to draft for a single position or even set of positions, but there's no question we need hitters. But I'm fine with whichever way they go in the first round. Always take the highest upside regardless of position.

smootness
04-28-2017, 10:58 AM

I just want us to go best available, and I think Beck will be the best available at 5 in terms of pure talent and upside.

nsacpi
04-28-2017, 11:46 AM
I just want us to go best available, and I think Beck will be the best available at 5 in terms of pure talent and upside.

Agree on going for best available. I think Beck and Royce Lewis are the hitters who are top 5 talents this year. The others are pitchers. Hopefully Beck or Lewis drops to us.

Enscheff
04-28-2017, 12:34 PM
I think Greene is the only truly elite talent in this draft. The rest are the typical lottery tickets that are at the top of every draft class.

I either want the Braves to take a position player with plus power potential, or the best college pitcher they think can be in the rotation in 2-3 years.

I would prefer the position player though.

Enscheff
04-28-2017, 12:36 PM
It's not going to be about draft pool. The Braves don't pick based on what the "experts" rank players. They have their own big board that I am sure is wildly different.

Are you aware these rankings are constructed by info leaked by MLB teams draft boards?

cajunrevenge
04-28-2017, 12:57 PM
As aware as you are about rankings varying by each organization.