LHP: 077/077/077 - 154 OPS
RHP: 230/269/432 - 702 OPS

Not looking good

Enscheff
04-28-2017, 01:21 PM

Not looking good

It hasn't been looking good for a while.

nsacpi
04-28-2017, 02:46 PM
career numbers:

.267/.307/.319 against lefties
.294/.341/.408 against righties

that's who he is as a hitter

nsacpi
06-22-2017, 10:59 AM
update on 2017 numbers

versus lefties: .346/.368/.442
versus righties: .299/.352/.402

Not bad, but half a season or even a full season can produce misleading results as far as splits go. I think his career numbers provide the most reliable indicator of what his splits are likely to be like going forward.

Super
06-22-2017, 11:07 AM
update on 2017 numbers

versus lefties: .346/.368/.442
versus righties: .299/.352/.402

Not bad, but half a season or even a full season can produce misleading results as far as splits go. I think his career numbers provide the most reliable indicator of what his splits are likely to be like going forward.

What if he's just simply gotten better at hitting lefties? It happens plenty.

Super
06-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Not looking good

Holy SSS, batman.

Enscheff
06-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Holy SSS, batman.

Is his 50 PAs against LHers this year not SSS as well?

How can you criticize a SSS when someone claims he is bad when your evidence he is good is also a SSS?

nsacpi
06-22-2017, 11:23 AM
What if he's just simply gotten better at hitting lefties? It happens plenty.

It sure does happen. And I think it has happened to some extent with Ender. Last year he had slightly negative splits. So last year and this year, his splits have been much different from his Arizona seasons.

auyushu
06-22-2017, 11:41 AM

How can you criticize a SSS when someone claims he is bad when your evidence he is good is also a SSS?

So was the 138 ABs against lefties last year when he hit .319 with a .749 OPS SSS as well?

The problem here, which was mentioned last year when you and others accused him of being a platoon player, is that you are ignoring his minor league numbers and numbers from 2016 and 2017 in favor of SSS numbers from 2015 to determine he struggles with lefties. He had normal slugging % drops against lefties (most lefties don't hit for as much power against lefties), but he overall had very solid batting avg against lefties in the minors (at least half or over half of his minor league seasons he hit higher against lefties than righties). It's really only in 2015 that he struggled against lefties, in 141 ABs.

nsacpi
06-22-2017, 11:46 AM
So was the 138 ABs against lefties last year when he hit .319 with a .749 OPS SSS as well?

The problem here, which was mentioned last year when you and others accused him of being a platoon player, is that you are ignoring his minor league numbers and numbers from 2016 and 2017 in favor of SSS numbers from 2015 to determine he struggles with lefties. He had normal slugging % drops against lefties (most lefties don't hit for as much power against lefties), but he overall had very solid batting avg against lefties in the minors. It's really only in 2015 that he struggled against lefties, in 141 ABs.

Platoon splits show a lot of volatility from year to year, in part due to the sample size against lefties being small. As a rough rule I like to see 400 plate appearances before saying much about a hitter. And hitters (even the ones playing full time) need about 3 seasons to accumulate that many plate appearances against lefty pitchers. Ender's career splits data are probably the most reliable predictor of what his splits will look like going forward.

Super
06-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Haha wtf, I didn't say he's necessarily good at hitting lefties. The post I responded to was posted on April 28th. Less than a month into the season. 52 ABs is more than however many the initial post declaring him a platoon player was. I don't understand the apparent need to call him a platoon player just yet.

auyushu
06-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Platoon splits show a lot of volatility from year to year, in part due to the sample size against lefties being small. As a rough rule I like to see 400 plate appearances before saying much about a hitter. And hitters (even the ones playing full time) need about 3 seasons to accumulate that many plate appearances against lefty pitchers. Ender's career splits data are probably the most reliable predictor of what his splits will look like going forward.

For his career at the moment he has a slash line of .281/.320/.340 against lefties, and that's weighed down by one season where he was terrible and is not in line with his other 3 seasons at all. I think it's vastly premature to say his overall splits are a reliable predictor when one single season is heavily distorting his numbers in a negative direction. It may wind up being the case, but his sample size is way too small to get any reliable predictive data.

Enscheff
06-22-2017, 01:16 PM
It will be interesting when Albies is established at the MLB level. He has pretty well established platoon splits that would suggest flip-flopping Ender/Albies in the 1 and 8 spots in the lineup might be the best course of action. Or maybe the 1 and 9 spots with Freeman batting 2nd.

nsacpi
06-22-2017, 01:22 PM
For his career at the moment he has a slash line of .281/.320/.340 against lefties, and that's weighed down by one season where he was terrible and is not in line with his other 3 seasons at all. I think it's vastly premature to say his overall splits are a reliable predictor when one single season is heavily distorting his numbers in a negative direction. It may wind up being the case, but his sample size is way too small to get any reliable predictive data.

Why would we throw out one season. I don't think we should even throw out an exceptionally good or bad game as an outlier, let alone an entire season.

The Chosen One
06-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Ender's been taking some good ab's all around. I'm very pleased with his consistency.

Enscheff
06-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Haha wtf, I didn't say he's necessarily good at hitting lefties. The post I responded to was posted on April 28th. Less than a month into the season. 52 ABs is more than however many the initial post declaring him a platoon player was. I don't understand the apparent need to call him a platoon player just yet.

Don't you have some more internet stalking of board members to do? Would you like me to save you some time and just give you a link to me FB profile?

auyushu
06-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Why would we throw out one season. I don't think we should even throw out an exceptionally good or bad game as an outlier, let alone an entire season.

When did I say you should throw it out? I'm just saying it's an outlier season in terms of a guy who has limited data against left handers, and that makes it impossible to get anything close to reliable predictive data. I mean, you are in here trying say his current splits are who he will be going forward, and his current splits have gone from .267 BA to over .280 BA versus lefties in just a couple months, there is nothing reliable there.

thewupk
06-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Holy SSS, batman.

It's the pessimists board bro. You don't belong.

nsacpi
06-23-2017, 06:51 AM
When did I say you should throw it out? I'm just saying it's an outlier season in terms of a guy who has limited data against left handers, and that makes it impossible to get anything close to reliable predictive data. I mean, you are in here trying say his current splits are who he will be going forward, and his current splits have gone from .267 BA to over .280 BA versus lefties in just a couple months, there is nothing reliable there.

I'm saying his career splits are a better predictor for what he will do going forward than his current season splits.

auyushu
06-23-2017, 07:26 AM
I'm saying his career splits are a better predictor for what he will do going forward than his current season splits.

Well, yeah.

bravesfanMatt
06-23-2017, 12:40 PM
It is so dark and cold in here. I am going to wait outside if that is ok..

Enscheff
06-23-2017, 12:48 PM

I think we should just remove every player's worst season when projecting their future production. It will lead to a much happier world of baseball.

nsacpi
06-23-2017, 01:14 PM
I think we should just remove every player's worst season when projecting their future production. It will lead to a much happier world of baseball.

that's why posi Braves are always so jolly

thethe
07-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Well this changed quickly. In much fewer AB's Ender has performed better against lefties this year.

thewupk
07-18-2017, 04:20 AM
Well this changed quickly. In much fewer AB's Ender has performed better against lefties this year.

Ender is now the man.