PDA

View Full Version : Minors Final Monday 5/8 ... Pike leads mound effort

bravesfanforlife88
05-08-2017, 02:23 PM
MONDAY SCOREBOARD

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 8, Toledo 1

WP: Simms (3-0) 6.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (2.57)
Dirks 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
Cabrera 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Albies 2-4, 2 R, 3B, RBI
Kazmar 1-3, HR (4th), 3 RBI
Recker 1-3, 2B, RBI
Rojas 1-4, 2B, R
Avery 1-3, 2B, R

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_tolaaa_gwiaaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS AA

Mississippi 9, Mobile 4

WP: Weigel (3-0) 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K (2.89)
Reynolds 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Parsons 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Demeritte 3-5, 2B, HR (2nd), 2 RBI
Curcio 2-4, 2 R, BB, SB
Franco 2-4, HR (7th), 2 RBI
Scivicque 2-5, R, RBI
Valenzuela 2-5, R, RBI

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_mobaax_msbaax_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

ADVANCED CLASS A

Florida 9, Daytona 2
7-run 6th for Frogs

WP: Pike (3-1) 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 8 K (2.29)
Lewis (Save, 1) 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Jackson 2-5, 2B, HR (10th), 5 RBI
Acuna 2-4, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI
Castro 2-5, R
Davidson 1-4, 2B, R, BB
Riley 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_floafa_dbcafa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS A

Greensboro 4, Rome 3

LP: Wentz (1-3) 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 6 K (4.03)
Davidson 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
B.S. White 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
McCreery 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Pache 2-4 2b
Murphy 1-3, 2 RBI, SB

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_romafx_gboafx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

On a side note, Austin Riley names FSL Player of the Week for May 1-7 ; went .462 with 3 homers, 10 RBIs, 2b, 5 runs

Allard was SL Pitcher of the Week (6 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 11 K)

rico's internet was down today. Thanks for filling in

CJ9
05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Rome lost earlier this morning. Pache went 2-4 with a double. Wentz: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K.

bravesfanforlife88
05-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Rome lost earlier this morning. Pache went 2-4 with a double. Wentz: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K.

Just saw that, was just going in order

smootness
05-08-2017, 02:59 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Wentz's velocity, but he's really pitched well so far this year. Given up a lot of hits, but his K and BB rates are both quite good.

CJ9
05-08-2017, 03:09 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Wentz's velocity, but he's really pitched well so far this year. Given up a lot of hits, but his K and BB rates are both quite good.

Baseball America had a writer there and he had wentz 89-92 in the first. With all the reports about mid 90s as a high school senior, that's obviously not great news. Hopefully it ticks up as he gets older and stronger.

smootness
05-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Baseball America had a writer there and he had wentz 89-92 in the first. With all the reports about mid 90s as a high school senior, that's obviously not great news. Hopefully it ticks up as he gets older and stronger.

That's fine. A pitcher who tops out at 95 is going to sit at least a couple MPH slower than that as a starting pitcher.

If he can consistently sit around 92 as a starter, that's ok as long as his command and secondary stuff are good enough.

Garmel
05-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Lucas Sims is having another good night so far. Four innings with only one run given up.

WaitingFor2017
05-08-2017, 07:26 PM
I look forward to seeing Sims up in late July/early August once we trade Garcia and Dickey.

nsacpi
05-08-2017, 07:28 PM
great to see Newcomb and Sims stepping it up

CJ9
05-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Acuna two-run triple followed by Jackson's 10th homer two batters later.

mqt
05-08-2017, 07:56 PM
This Florida team can put up runs in bunches. Kind of surprising how offensively oriented they are given that we were all so excited for the pitching.

CJ9
05-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Demeritte's second homer of the year.

bravesfanforlife88
05-08-2017, 08:01 PM
MONDAY SCOREBOARD

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 6, Toledo 1 (6th)

SP: Simms 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

Albies 2-3, 2 R, 3B, RBI
Kazmar 1-2, HR (4th), 3 RBI
Recker 1-2, 2B, RBI
Rojas 1-3, 2B, R
Avery 1-2, 2B, R

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_tolaaa_gwiaaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS AA

Mobile 1, Mississippi 0 (3rd)

SP: Weigel 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

Demeritte 1-1

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_mobaax_msbaax_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

ADVANCED CLASS A

Florida 2, Daytona 2 (6th)

SP: Pike 5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 7 K

Jackson 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI
Acuna 1-2, R
Castro 2-3
Davidson 1-3, 2B

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_floafa_dbcafa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS A

Greensboro 4, Rome 3

LP: Wentz (1-3) 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 6 K (4.03)
Davidson 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
B.S. White 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
McCreery 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Pache 2-4 2b
Murphy 1-3, 2 RBI, SB

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_05_08_romafx_gboafx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

On a side note, Austin Riley names FSL Player of the Week for May 1-7 ; went .462 with 3 homers, 10 RBIs, 2b, 5 runs

Allard was SL Pitcher of the Week (6 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 11 K)

rico's internet was down today. Thanks for filling in

No worries thanks for keeping up with everything

Tapate50
05-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Good rebound game for Ozzie

Riley seeing it well.

Sims/ Weigel with rock solid outings

weso1
05-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Would it be a radical idea for the Braves to move Austin Riley to catcher? I can't think of many position players that have switched to catcher. I've read reports that he may be a bit immobile as a 3b and thus have to move to 1b, but he's got a great arm. That made me think, why the hell not see what he can do behind the plate? I guess it's a bit early in his development and maybe he can stick at third, but he'd have a lot more value as a catcher than as a 1b.

Is there any data on position players moving to catcher in the minors? I would think it's pretty rare.

thethe
05-08-2017, 09:28 PM
DiPoto has to be regretting trading Alex Jackson right?

Deester11
05-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Would it be a radical idea for the Braves to move Austin Riley to catcher? I can't think of many position players that have switched to catcher. I've read reports that he may be a bit immobile as a 3b and thus have to move to 1b, but he's got a great arm. That made me think, why the hell not see what he can do behind the plate? I guess it's a bit early in his development and maybe he can stick at third, but he'd have a lot more value as a catcher than as a 1b.

Is there any data on position players moving to catcher in the minors? I would think it's pretty rare.
Pretty radical Weso. Probably see him at pitcher before anything. His defense has actually gotten really better. Not good glove,but serviceable..I like what he's doing defensively thus far. After 40+ errors last year he has come a along way.

weso1
05-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Pretty radical Weso. Probably see him at pitcher before anything. His defense has actually gotten really better. Not good glove,but serviceable..I like what he's doing defensively thus far. After 40+ errors last year he has come a along way.

I don't disagree that he's too young to make the move right now, but it's something to consider if the folks in the front office decide he can't play 3b at the major league level. Would it even occur to them that he could be a candidate to play catcher? Just seems like something you never see and I'm asking why not?

thethe
05-08-2017, 10:04 PM
I don't disagree that he's too young to make the move right now, but it's something to consider if the folks in the front office decide he can't play 3b at the major league level. Would it even occur to them that he could be a candidate to play catcher? Just seems like something you never see and I'm asking why not?

I would imagine that at the very least it would take someone 3 years to get the handle of calling a game at a below average level if they've never done it before. Just doesn't seem practical to me.

weso1
05-08-2017, 10:11 PM
I would imagine that at the very least it would take someone 3 years to get the handle of calling a game at a below average level if they've never done it before. Just doesn't seem practical to me.

But why not give it a shot and then you could easily move him to first if it doesn't work out? I'm just asking because there seems to be a lack of catchers in the majors but you rarely see position players like Riley move from an infield or outfield position to the catcher position.

thethe
05-08-2017, 10:29 PM
But why not give it a shot and then you could easily move him to first if it doesn't work out? I'm just asking because there seems to be a lack of catchers in the majors but you rarely see position players like Riley move from an infield or outfield position to the catcher position.

Maybe it negatively impacts the pitchers as well?

Hudson2
05-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Over\under on Jackson hitting 20 bombs?

weso1
05-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Maybe it negatively impacts the pitchers as well?

It could but only if he's a rube when it comes to baseball. If he's a guy that understands the game then he gets the catcher position.

bravesguy
05-08-2017, 10:46 PM

I go over on both he and Riley (if they both stay in Florida). If either move up to Mississippi, then under all the way.

smootness
05-09-2017, 12:02 AM

Way over. I mean, he's already halfway there.

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 09:59 AM

I'd rather keep Jackson at Catcher with him mashing and all the reports are that he's improving very fast at catcher.

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
DiPoto has to be regretting trading Alex Jackson right?

Maybe not.... just wasn't a good organizational fit... doubt he'd be doing this well there considering he didn't love the organization and the player development side is obviously an issue

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 10:03 AM
I don't think we need C prospects anymore all the sudden.... Jackson, Scivicque, Morales are all looking pretty good... one of those guys should make it... then we have Guttierez who we're also excited to see. That's 4 legit C prospects

Tapate50
05-09-2017, 10:09 AM
I don't think we need C prospects anymore all the sudden.... Jackson, Scivicque, Morales are all looking pretty good... one of those guys should make it... then we have Guttierez who we're also excited to see. That's 4 legit C prospects

Herbert?

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Herbert?

Forgot about Herbert and I'm a huge fan!! I think he's figured something out as well and is the best defender of the bunch. Plus has major power potential. Catcher is still a long ways off relatively, but the talent is amassing

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Pike has turned into a legit big arm prospect now that he's out of the joke of Seattle's farm. Tiny bit old for the level but his stuff is filthy

Julio3000
05-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Scivique's a longshot but I'm really rooting for him.

CJ9
05-09-2017, 10:26 AM
I'm going to wait longer before getting optimistic about Pike. This is his fourth straight year pitching mostly in High A.

clvclv
05-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Oops.

smootness
05-09-2017, 10:36 AM
I don't think you can ever have enough catching prospects. And I don't really consider Scivicque or Morales to be real legit options going forward. I think catcher boils down to whether Jackson can be good enough defensively, whether Herbert can continue to develop offensively, and then we'll see what we have with Gutierrez. I think those are the 3.

Russ2dollas
05-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Jackson is still older for the level and Ks a lot. I'm not sold on him as a bat. Let him catch.

Scouts I read keep saying Sims' fastball is very strait and hittable. I heard on the board that wasn't the case. Are spin rate data publicly available yet?

Still surprised TD doesnt have more bombs but the K dropping has been good.

Russ2dollas
05-09-2017, 12:48 PM
I don't think you can ever have enough catching prospects. And I don't really consider Scivicque or Morales to be real legit options going forward. I think catcher boils down to whether Jackson can be good enough defensively, whether Herbert can continue to develop offensively, and then we'll see what we have with Gutierrez. I think those are the 3.

I agree with you. I can see Scivicque or Morales maybe being a solid back up catcher soon. But I don't think either guy is a starter. But they might be better than Suzuski next year.

msstate7
05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
If Jackson continues to mash, do we find another position to move him up faster? Perhaps LF

Tapate50
05-09-2017, 03:06 PM
If Jackson continues to mash, do we find another position to move him up faster? Perhaps LF

Hahah... do you work for Seattle's FO?

Tapate50
05-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Jackson is still older for the level and Ks a lot. I'm not sold on him as a bat. Let him catch.

Scouts I read keep saying Sims' fastball is very strait and hittable. I heard on the board that wasn't the case. Are spin rate data publicly available yet?

Still surprised TD doesnt have more bombs but the K dropping has been good.

I've read this here before about Sims, but never anywhere else. Yet, he strikes out a ton of guys. Could you link the comment(s) on this? Is he getting all the swing and misses on the offspeed stuff?

I'm just curious because that'd be new info to me at least.

Enscheff
05-09-2017, 03:12 PM
I've read this here before about Sims, but never anywhere else. Yet, he strikes out a ton of guys. Could you link the comment(s) on this? Is he getting all the swing and misses on the offspeed stuff?

I'm just curious because that'd be new info to me at least.

It's been written all over the place. Here's the one from FG since I already had the site open:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-32-prospects-atlanta-braves/

Lucas Sims, RHP, 1.8 KATOH+ – Sims will sit 94-96 with a plus curveball, but the fastball plays down due to its flat, lifeless nature. Sims’ delivery is a bit stiff and oddly paced, resulting in 30 control. He needs to improve his ability to throw strikes just to be a middle-relief piece, and there’s a chance he never gets there.

Russ2dollas
05-09-2017, 03:33 PM
It's been written all over the place. Here's the one from FG since I already had the site open:

Lucas Sims, RHP, 1.8 KATOH+ – Sims will sit 94-96 with a plus curveball, but the fastball plays down due to its flat, lifeless nature. Sims’ delivery is a bit stiff and oddly paced, resulting in 30 control. He needs to improve his ability to throw strikes just to be a middle-relief piece, and there’s a chance he never gets there.

everything I've seen says the FB is bad and he's mechanical. I think road 2 atlanta's last podcast said that. Klaw has said that for years. FG and BP have not been high on the FB.

I'm not aware of the data but Klaw's new book talks about FB with high spin rates being more effective than higher velocity FB with lower spin rates.

I was under the impression that Sims need to pitch backwards and establish the other pitches and then sneak the 95 heat by vs establishing the FB due to it's propensity to get hit.

Tapate50
05-09-2017, 03:37 PM

Thanks for that.

Interesting they were likely the only outlet without him ranked at all.

I'd think this is entirely fixable, or workable. Doesn't spell doom imo...

Garmel
05-09-2017, 04:08 PM
I read one report that said that Sims' fastball is only flat when thrown high in the zone. Good movement otherwise. Don't know if it's true or not.

Enscheff
05-09-2017, 05:12 PM
everything I've seen says the FB is bad and he's mechanical. I think road 2 atlanta's last podcast said that. Klaw has said that for years. FG and BP have not been high on the FB.

I'm not aware of the data but Klaw's new book talks about FB with high spin rates being more effective than higher velocity FB with lower spin rates.

I was under the impression that Sims need to pitch backwards and establish the other pitches and then sneak the 95 heat by vs establishing the FB due to it's propensity to get hit.

Spin rate + arm angle = movement.

High spin rate 4 seamers up are good if they have sufficient velocity (Sims has that) and a spin axis that makes it "rise".

Low spin rate 2 seamers/sinkers are best down to induce grounders.

Breaking balls also require high spin rates to have good movement, and all accounts indicate Sims has a good curve.

I have no idea where to find Sims' spin rates. If he has a "straight" fastball he most likely has a spin rate that falls right in the middle, so he doesn't get any "rise" or "sink". I also have no idea if a player can increase or decrease their spin rates. So far that skill seems to be innate.

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Scivique's a longshot but I'm really rooting for him.

Not many eye popping tools but good defense and hits everything

zbhargrove
05-09-2017, 10:46 PM

He's improved quite a bit so far this year in these areas

Southcack77
05-10-2017, 12:14 AM
He's improved quite a bit so far this year in these areas

I think I read here the other day that Sims has a two seamer and a four seamer.

I'm not sure that was accurate but the argument was that only one of them was flat.

Either way, sims hasn't really been that hittable typically if I recall correctly. K rated and avg against have generally been low, but he has tended to lose command and give up runs in bunches when he does. That's been my impression of the reports here if anything.