PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball America Top 100

CJ9
05-11-2017, 09:12 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-prospects-updated-may-11/#TDH1bJru63x86EzS.97

Still eight Braves. Dansby graduated, Gohara joins the back end of the list. All the other guys who were on it to start the year moved up a couple spots with other graduations, but no crazy leaps.

CJ9
05-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Albies (8), Allard (28), Soroka (44), Anderson (60), Acuna (62), Maitan (71), Newcomb (72), Gohara (94).

Tapate50
05-11-2017, 09:15 AM
I gotta be honest... Robles ahead of Eloy ? PUH-lease.

Not sure Robles should be considered on the level of Acuna Matata either.

msstate7
05-11-2017, 09:16 AM
No idea vlad had a son that was a prospect

smootness
05-11-2017, 09:18 AM
This isn't really a new ranking, it looks like it's literally just an adjustment due to graduations with maybe a few minor tweaks.

I'd be interested to hear the rationale for believing Jimenez is clearly ahead of Robles, Tapate. Robles had a pretty similar offensive performance in A last year and has more to offer on defense/baserunning.

smootness
No idea vlad had a son that was a prospect

Really? Haha, he's been getting tons of buzz.

He's a massive beast and in a real re-ranking should probably be top 5 in all of baseball. He is torching A-ball at 18 after performing really well in rookie ball last year.

zbhargrove
Surprised Gohara is so low

smootness
05-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Again, I don't think they are really re-evaluating based on this year. I think they're just making administrative adjustments for the most part.

Julio3000
05-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Surprised the Ms cut bait on him so early.

msstate7
05-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Really? Haha, he's been getting tons of buzz.

He's a massive beast and in a real re-ranking should probably be top 5 in all of baseball. He is torching A-ball at 18 after performing really well in rookie ball last year.

I keep up with our minors and that's it... no time between keeping up with all things state and the braves.

I always liked vlad though

thethe
05-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Surprised the Ms cut bait on him so early.

Especially with the showing he had in the AFL.

thewupk
05-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Again, I don't think they are really re-evaluating based on this year. I think they're just making administrative adjustments for the most part.

They won't re-evaluate until their mid-season update.

Tapate50
05-11-2017, 09:52 AM
I keep up with our minors and that's it... no time between keeping up with all things state and the braves.

I always liked vlad though

Vlad taught me a few things at a baseball camp when he was in the minors as a youngster.

Little did I know that "You can hit whatever pitch, anywhere they throw it" was a unique trait only he could pull off. Thanks A lot Vlad.

smootness
05-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Vlad taught me a few things at a baseball camp when he was in the minors as a youngster.

Little did I know that "You can hit whatever pitch, anywhere they throw it" was a unique trait only he could pull off. Thanks A lot Vlad.

Yeah, it's not always best to take advice from the top 1% of guys in any profession, be it sports, business, or whatever. They generally have extremely unique traits or got super lucky.

CrimsonCowboy
05-11-2017, 11:12 AM

I'm not sure where he's at now, but his nephew Gabriel Guerrero was in the Diamondbacks system the last couple years. Got the chance to see him a few times. Let's just say he reminded me a lot of his uncle Vladimir's batting philosophy.

4maddux_cy's
05-12-2017, 12:06 AM
His ability to hit anything made him one of the most fun baseball players ever imo. Miss Vlad.

zbhargrove
05-12-2017, 12:26 AM
My favorite Vlad memory was when he reached out and got a base hit during an intentional walk

striker42
05-12-2017, 06:25 AM
His ability to hit anything made him one of the most fun baseball players ever imo. Miss Vlad.

He's one I always wanted to see in a Braves jersey.

Tapate50
05-12-2017, 06:57 AM
This isn't really a new ranking, it looks like it's literally just an adjustment due to graduations with maybe a few minor tweaks.

I'd be interested to hear the rationale for believing Jimenez is clearly ahead of Robles, Tapate. Robles had a pretty similar offensive performance in A last year and has more to offer on defense/baserunning.

I think Jimenez has the makings of a Mini Stanton type of player. If Robles was close offensively, then I'd be on board. Robles hasn't done anything to really make him more of a prospect than acuna or Jimenez imo.

Then again, I still think Kemp mashing in LF for us has been plenty more useful than his defense has been a penalty to this point so color me biased.

smootness
05-12-2017, 07:59 AM
I think Jimenez has the makings of a Mini Stanton type of player. If Robles was close offensively, then I'd be on board. Robles hasn't done anything to really make him more of a prospect than acuna or Jimenez imo.

Then again, I still think Kemp mashing in LF for us has been plenty more useful than his defense has been a penalty to this point so color me biased.

Well, I would argue that Jimenez hasn't done anything to make him more of a prospect than Robles. In A-ball last year Jimenez slashed .329/.369/.532. In A-ball last year Robles slashed .305/.405/.459. Jimenez is 6 months older, and it's understood that Robles is just beginning to come into his own physically, where Jimenez is basically there now.

A lesser Stanton is honestly not that great of a player. A good one, sure, but Robles projects as at least that kind of player. I just don't think you'll find many prospect guys who think Jimenez is better than Robles.

atl717
05-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Plenty of guys prefer Jimenez. There are those who think Robles will top out at 15 homers a year.

smootness
05-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Plenty of guys prefer Jimenez. There are those who think Robles will top out at 15 homers a year.

Maybe, but pretty much every legit prospect ranking has Robles ahead. And I've seen several of the scout guys talk about Robles potentially being the #1 prospect in baseball this time next year.