PDA

View Full Version : Should We Be Worried?

jcc03004
09-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't want to press the panic button but some things are concerning at least to me. 1) The offense is disappearing again 2) Our rock solid pen is starting to show some cracks. Kimbrel's bs today and Walden's struggles. Our entire pitching staff is very very young
3) Teheran and Minor have not shown much lately I'm almost to the point thAt in the nlds we should go Medlen Teheran Minor Wood I still want Teheran to get his first post season stArt at home. What do you guys think? Are you worried for the post season?

jsebe10
09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't want to press the panic button but some things are concerning at least to me. 1) The offense is disappearing again 2) Our rock solid pen is starting to show some cracks. Kimbrel's bs today and Walden's struggles. Our entire pitching staff is very very young
3) Teheran and Minor have not shown much lately I'm almost to the point thAt in the nlds we should go Medlen Teheran Minor Wood I still want Teheran to get his first post season stArt at home. What do you guys think? Are you worried for the post season?

Yes I am worried. The Nats are absolutely red hot right now. Almost similar to the Rockies recently when they won like 21 games in a row to get into the playoffs. They are playing great baseball right now and we aren't.

thethe
09-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Braves aren't winning anything this year unless Jason can come back swinging which is a lot to ask of him.

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 08:50 PM
It's looking a bit like 2000 when we stumbled in the last week or so and got swept in the NLDS. Again, I think as of now, it's probably too late for them to catch us in the division. But if we haven't clinched by this time next week, I'll definitely be very worried.

As for the playoffs, I have hope as always, but very little confidence. I don't see how you can logically expect them to do anything as of now unless we start getting offensive production and the bullpen finds itself.

jcc03004
09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Braves aren't winning anything this year unless Jason can come back swinging which is a lot to ask of him.
I'm more worried about our pen suddenly not being automatic any more the offense is unfortunately par for the course this season without Jason AND Bj and uggla need to stop being automatic outs god it's like 2 belliard's at the bottom of the order. I really hope this swing for the fences offensive expirement goes by-by next year

Dalyn
09-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Good news is that the team has looked this bad several times throughout the season. We've been incredibly streaky. As bad as we look now, we've looked THAT good, too. Bad news is that we have a terrible in-game manager, an exhausted and decimated pitching staff, and it is September.

tvsportscaster
09-17-2013, 08:53 PM
There's no way this team doesn't win at least four games the rest of the year. So there's no question they will win the division. However, I think the key to any success in the post season is the return of Jason Heyward. If he doesn't come back and provide that spark at the top of the lineup they have no shot. I'm not all that concerned about the pen outside of Walden.

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't think it's out of the question for them to go 3-8 the rest of the way. But I doubt the Nats will go 11-0. Gonna need the damn Cardinals to help us out next week.

jsebe10
09-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Good news is that the team has looked this bad several times throughout the season. We've been incredibly streaky. As bad as we look now, we've looked THAT good, too. Bad news is that we have a terrible in-game manager, an exhausted and decimated pitching staff, and it is September.

I agree with the bullpen part of that. But as far as looking bad during the season you are correct, but this is the worst they have looked all year long, hands down. They just can't hit right now and it look likes each player is looking for someone else to get it done.

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM

This is the one silver lining. Just gotta hope that next hot streak comes in about two weeks and carries on throughout next month. We've struggled like this before, but we haven't had nearly the amount of question marks at the same time as we do now.

zitothebrave
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM
We need Jason back, that's it.

Jason
Justin
Freeman
Gattis
Mac
Johnson
Uggla
Simmons

That should be our roster.

Dalyn
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
I agree with the bullpen part of that. But as far as looking bad during the season you are correct, but this is the worst they have looked all year long, hands down. They just can't hit right now and it look likes each player is looking for someone else to get it done.

I don't know about that. Seems I can recall several streaks of extreme suckitude.

Dalyn
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Jason
Justin
Freeman
Gattis
Mac
Johnson
Uggla
Simmons

That should be our roster.

I am surprised to see you putting Gattis as the anchor.

zitothebrave
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I am surprised to see you putting Gattis as the anchor.

You can slide him around if you choose. Those should be our top 6 though.

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Can we hit Uggla 10th? When is Heyward going to start instructional league stuff?

Dalyn
09-17-2013, 09:03 PM
You can slide him around if you choose. Those should be our top 6 though.

I can agree with that. Would just switch him and Johnson.

Dalyn
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Can we hit Uggla 10th? When is Heyward going to start instructional league stuff?

Half the lineup is vying for the coveted 10th spot.

TXBravesFan
09-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Playoffs are a crapshoot like always, but it's hard to imagine this team doing anything of significance.

NYCBrave
09-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Here's the latest:

It'll still be at least a week before Jason Heyward returns to the Atlanta Braves, but the outfielder says he has already adjusted to his new batting helmet's protective flap that covers the right side of his face to protect his formerly fractured jaw.

Heyward, who took batting practice with the Braves last weekend, will continue doing so in Washington and says he's used to the helmet and mouth guard he has to wear.

“I’m just focused on getting ready to play,” Heyward said on ajc.com. “I’m not thinking about the helmet, mouthpiece, anything.”

The instructional league began in Florida on Monday, but games don't start until Sept. 23. Heyward says he and the Braves haven't discussed anything in terms of a comeback timeline.

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
He needs to at least get back for the Phillies series and bat leadoff for maximum ABs. A right-handed Heyward with a broken jaw is better than what we have at leadoff right now.

The Chosen One
09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
WE ALL GON DIE

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Again, if this doesn't happen:

1. Braves win one each against Cubs, Brewers, Phillies
2. Nats lose one to Cards or Dbacks

I give up on baseball.

Dalyn
09-17-2013, 09:35 PM
WE ALL GON DIE

:panic:

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
:panic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAq76TX4iLw

Bdawg2309
09-17-2013, 09:53 PM
i highly doubt heyward is the difference between first round exit and WS title

The Chosen One
09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Heyward's a 22 WAR player.

We went on that winning streak because of him igniting the team. Heyward in the lineup means we have a legitimate hitter in the lineup.

gtcway
09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Hopefully we're just getting that last poor stretch out of the way before the playoffs start. But if the nats somehow manage to catch or beat the Braves for the division, I'm done with the Braves. Forever.

Not that anyone would miss me.

Diesel
09-17-2013, 10:25 PM
There are comparisons to 1995 (offensively). The Braves had a large lead and coasted to the division title, though limping into the post season and getting swept by the Mets the last weekend. Grissom was absolutely on fire in the playoffs and made a big difference. Everyone is crossing their fingers that Heyward can be that catalyst to our offense when he comes back.

The pitching/bullpen is actually more of a concern to me.

bravesnumberone
09-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I'd have to go back and look, but most of the years we had big leads, we played poorly toward the end. I don't ever remember being quite this banged up though. And that '95 team had three HoF starting pitchers in their prime, so a lesser offense was easier to overlook.

Runnin
09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I am extremely concerned that we might not win the World Series.......again this year!!!:emot-siren.gif.17:

jcc03004
09-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Not expecting a World Series win am LOOKING for them to finally make it out of the first round for the first time since 2001. Baby steps

The Chosen One
09-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Not expecting a World Series win am LOOKING for them to finally make it out of the first round for the first time since 2001. Baby steps

WORLD SERIES OR BUST.

Bdawg2309
09-18-2013, 12:11 AM
how the past few WS winners have done in september
2012 giants: 19-8
2011 cards: 18-8
2010 giants: 18-8
2009 yankees: 19-9
2008 phillies: 17-8

Runnin
09-18-2013, 12:34 AM
how the past few WS winners have done in september
2012 giants: 19-8
2011 cards: 18-8
2010 giants: 18-8
2009 yankees: 19-9
2008 phillies: 17-8
Well that's a real downer.

The season is just too long.

jcc03004
09-18-2013, 02:32 AM
WORLD SERIES OR BUST.
No offense this team is not going to win the World Series barring some really spectacular run. I'd be satisfied with making it to the nlcs and not being embarrassed there. In order to win the World Series we can't have any bad starts from our starters considering our offensive hitting. Bj and uggla needs to at least clear the Mendoza line

CyYoung31
09-18-2013, 03:42 AM
No offense this team is not going to win the World Series barring some really spectacular run. I'd be satisfied with making it to the nlcs and not being embarrassed there. In order to win the World Series we can't have any bad starts from our starters considering our offensive hitting. Bj and uggla needs to at least clear the Mendoza line

Doesn't every team who wins the World Series need a spectacular run? Thanks Captain Obvious.

yeezus
09-18-2013, 05:52 AM
Damn you guys are annoying. Yes we're cold. Every single team goes cold. Remember when we swept the Cards and what their fans were saying? Just calm down. Kimbrel blew his first save in ages. If we lose, it's because playoffs are a crapshoot. There's nothing to "worry" about.

Dunit24
09-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I would be lying if I said I wasnt worried. Im not worried about the Nats catching us, but im worried about us going into the playoffs. This teams plays its best ball when it relaxes and just plays ball. They seem to be pressing and trying to do too much. I think they will figure it out and go on a big run come postseason.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Laird's comments implied the guys were pressing. That seems to be the case offensively, at least it was in the second game yesterday.

50PoundHead
09-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Damn you guys are annoying. Yes we're cold. Every single team goes cold. Remember when we swept the Cards and what their fans were saying? Just calm down. Kimbrel blew his first save in ages. If we lose, it's because playoffs are a crapshoot. There's nothing to "worry" about.

Same logic applies if we win it all. This team has its flaws and it's playing flat right now (which is not unexpected). Losing Heyward was huge and we're a little bit nicked in other places as well.

If we totally melt down, it will be a collapse for the ages and I'm sincerely hoping that's not the case (understatement).

gilesfan
09-18-2013, 08:50 AM
If you look at the team without Heyward, it's not a big shock. The starting staff is filled with youngsters and I think all of them have surpassed their max innings total for any year in their career. (Teheran is 30 innings over so far) It's unreasonable to expect none of these guys to have tired arms. That is the problem with the Hudson injury and why postseason teams typically have a vet or 2 in the rotation.

And really without Heyward, the lineup is not that strong. Freeman and McCann are really the only bats pitchers really fear. (and McCann has slowed down a bit) THere are just too many outs in the lineup on any given day.

jdunn
09-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Early in the season, pitchers were afraid of giving up HR's to the Braves and rightfully so. That fear is no longer there as the threat isn't there. Yep, too many outs. At this point, why even pitch to FF?

In other news, Garcia is making a push to be in the playoff rotation. Medlen, Garcia, Minor. Maybe not that scary, yet its the best we've got.

nsacpi
09-18-2013, 09:16 AM
The starting staff is filled with youngsters and I think all of them have surpassed their max innings total for any year in their career. (Teheran is 30 innings over so far) It's unreasonable to expect none of these guys to have tired arms. That is the problem with the Hudson injury and why postseason teams typically have a vet or 2 in the rotation.

Yeah. In a lot of ways this is the season Minor, Medlen and Teheran are getting blooded. They are pitching significantly more innings than they ever have. They will pitch some pressure games in the post-season. It will be good for them in the long run. But I think you have to be realistic about what you can expect from a young and inexperienced rotation.

People forget how young this team is. In terms of average batter age, we are second youngest to Houston. In terms of pitcher age, we're tied for third youngest, behind Miami and St. Louis. Combining the two, we are the second youngest to Houston. Not too many teams that are the youngest in their league win it all. Usually when you are this young, you are a rebuilding team.

This is why I was hoping for KC or Tampa to fall out of contention. I would have loved a James Shield or David Price to lead the rotation.

zitothebrave
09-18-2013, 09:45 AM
FWIW our pitching age is thrown off by a few vets. Hudson, Garcia, Downs, and Ayala aren't normal old, they're all 35+. St. Louis only has Westbrook and Choate in that extra old group. Odds of any much less multiple of the very old crew coming back for us aren't very high. Garcia is gone, maybe we'd keep him in AAA. Hudson is potentially gone depending on cost (would love to keep him) I assume Downs is gone, he makes a healthy chunk of change and I think I'd rather try to keep EOF or Venters even though there is a risk with those 2, they're more dominant than Downs, Ayala may be kept around if he'll sign for cheap.

NYCBrave
09-18-2013, 09:53 AM
I've always had extremely tempered expectations of how this team would do in the playoffs anyway. Although very fun, this has been one of the most frustrating seasons in recent memory. I still can't believe how many poor performances we've got across the board from our hitters. The Upton brothers have been disappointments to say the least (we were hoping for an MVP type season out of Justin, it's not even close), Uggla is the worst hitter in the league, and Heyward was a huge disappointment outside of that dominant stretch.

Our bullpen has been better than anyone expected even with the injuries, but recent injuries are taking their tole. Our rotation has been surprisingly steady, but we don't have the dominant power pitching that usually succeeds in the playoffs. We knew this going in.

The Chosen One
09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
I'd keep Garcia as a long man or AAA depth.

No guarantee Cristian Martinez comes back 100% after shoulder surgery, which is way riskier than TJ now.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
If I've learned anything, unless Heyward is going to be the leadoff hitter going forward past this year, we've got to find someone to stabilize the top of the order this offseason. I know Bourn tailed off in the second half typically, but it's nice having that presence there. I've also accepted that with our luck, we're never going to be healthy come playoff time. So, having several good veterans will be big. If this young team can at least win the NLDS and experience some postseason success, it'll do them a world of good next year and beyond.

nsacpi
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
FWIW our pitching age is thrown off by a few vets. Hudson, Garcia, Downs, and Ayala aren't normal old, they're all 35+. St. Louis only has Westbrook and Choate in that extra old group. Odds of any much less multiple of the very old crew coming back for us aren't very high. Garcia is gone, maybe we'd keep him in AAA. Hudson is potentially gone depending on cost (would love to keep him) I assume Downs is gone, he makes a healthy chunk of change and I think I'd rather try to keep EOF or Venters even though there is a risk with those 2, they're more dominant than Downs, Ayala may be kept around if he'll sign for cheap.

Ayala has done a nice job for us. But he is also outperforming his peripherals. I'm not sure he can sustain this sort of performance into 2014. Besides, I think we have a pretty strong group from the right side for next year's pen. Kimbrel, Walden and Carpenter are givens. Varvaro, Gearrin, Martinez (if we bring him back), Hale and Martin can compete for the remaining one or two spots.

The left side of the pen is a little bit more up in the air. Avilan will be back. Venters should be back in May or June. I would also see if we can bring back EOF. There is a little bit of an issue with starting the year with just one lefty. We've seen how Avilan has been overused this year, especially during the periods when he has been the only lefty in the pen. The way that Fredi manages the pen, I think optimally you want three lefties, though preferably no more than one LOOGY.

We also have the option of using Wood in the pen. If we bring back Hudson and the other four (Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy) come out of spring training healthy, we have a decision to make with Wood. Most teams end up using 7 or 8 starters, so I'm happy to have six good ones coming out of spring training. The question then would be do you put Wood in the pen or in the AAA rotation. You can always send him to AAA to get his arm stretched out if there is a need. Putting him in the pen allows you to have a second lefty during the period when Venters and maybe EOF are still in rehab.

PawPawMaxwell
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Next year will be typical Braves team IMO. Anywhere of 6-12 new faces coming out of spring training.
Heyward is not the long term answer at leadoff. A waste of talent IMO. Needs to be down in the order. 5 hole suit anyone else.
Pretty sure McCann is gone.
Hope Uggla is gone.
Is it time to trade Kimbrel? Value is at its peak.
If Justin Upton cant be used in the lineup where best suited, who/what would you trade him for.
Unfortunately all we can do about BJ is pray he finds his way back to productivity.

Not a whole lot of fixing required for the pitching staff.

Diesel
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
This is probably a comparison that few will agree with, but even as early as mid season of Heyward's rookie year I thought he was a supersized version of Kenny Lofton (his size cutting down on speed) rather than a power hitter. His swing and the way that he spanks the ball is more indicative of a top of the order hitter. Now, he is a large man and does have big power, but I think most will agree that he isn't the typical power hitter.

I'm fine with him as a leadoff hitter if he continues to thrive.

Runnin
09-18-2013, 11:20 AM
If we lose, it's because playoffs are a crapshoot.
Everybody knows that you've got to play your best in October so it's not exactly a crapshoot. This team has had more than one good run this year so I'm confident they have another one it them. Our young pitching is definitely a concern as much as the anemic offense.

Heyward
09-18-2013, 11:38 AM

This, very unlikely he comes back and rakes after missing a couple months.

Heyward
09-18-2013, 11:40 AM
i highly doubt heyward is the difference between first round exit and WS title

He absolutely is.

He's arguably the best defensive right fielder in baseball, gets on base at a good clip, has good,power. He's a five tool player.

Don't think he comes back strong if he does come back at all, but he's the difference.

NYCBrave
09-18-2013, 11:42 AM
This, very unlikely he comes back and rakes after missing a couple months.

He hasn't even missed one month yet, and good chance he'll be back next week.

Dunit24
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Next season, I would just focus on getting rid of Uggla and replacing him with a leadoff type hitter.

Leadoff type - 2B
JUpton - RF
Freeman - 1B
Gattis - C
Heyward - RF
CJohnson - 3B
BJ Upton - CF
Simmons - SS

I HIGHLY doubt BJ repeats the season he has had this year. Other than that, the lineup is strong.

Diesel
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
The Upton brothers have really struggled with timing this season. I mean, BJ can get a 2-0 fastball down the pipe and is late on it. Justin at least will concentrate on driving the ball oppo when he is having trouble catching up. But it is weird that JUp has had only two stretches the entire season where he pulled the ball with authority.

holden
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Fantastic post.

Make the play-offs. Then you have roughly a 1/4 shot of making the WS and a 1/8 shot of winning the whole thing. May as well toss everything else out the window and enjoy the spectacle.

clvclv
09-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Jason
Justin
Freeman
Gattis
Mac
Johnson
La Stella
Simmons

THAT should be our roster.

There you go...fixed it for ya. All better now.

57Brave
09-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Suppose had spent the money on Michael Bourne?

zitothebrave
09-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Next season, I would just focus on getting rid of Uggla and replacing him with a leadoff type hitter.

Leadoff type - 2B
JUpton - RF
Freeman - 1B
Gattis - C
Heyward - RF
CJohnson - 3B
BJ Upton - CF
Simmons - SS

I HIGHLY doubt BJ repeats the season he has had this year. Other than that, the lineup is strong.

The 2b leadoff is a Pipedream. Only 6 qualified 2b have an obp over .350. Only Scutaro and Zobrist are outside shots of being acquired. LA Stella is a better option than most realistic 2B

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Listening to Billy Shanks radio on the Internet. He says yes we need to be worried lol.

Teheran_49
09-18-2013, 02:28 PM
The 2b leadoff is a Pipedream. Only 6 qualified 2b have an obp over .350. Only Scutaro and Zobrist are outside shots of being acquired. LA Stella is a better option than most realistic 2B

Finding a great lead-off man isn't the easiest thing either and people seem to think "Oh we just need a true lead-off man and were fine". The problem is finding a guy who can hit .280-.300 with an OBP over .350 just isn't there for the picking. The game isn't what it was 20 years ago. I do think La Stella should get the shot at 2b. He may not steal the bases you would like at lead-off but he can get on base and rarely strikes out.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Elliot leading off tonight AND playing short. OOOOOOO boy.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Elliot leading off tonight AND playing short. OOOOOOO boy.

Fredi couldn't rest Simmons against the Padres or anyone else. He had to wait to rest him in the biggest series this Sept. It's the way he rolls, ya know?

That said, I agree Simmons needs a rest but so do others (and they could've been rested coming into this series). Oh well.

Heyward
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Fredi couldn't rest Simmons against the Padres or anyone else. He had to wait to rest him in the biggest series this Sept.

That's the way he rolls, ya know?

Simmons has played 30 more games than he ever has, he looks worn down a bit.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 02:57 PM
You don't rest him in a game this big. Had Miami and San Diego to do that.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Simmons has played 30 more games than he ever has, he looks worn down a bit.

No kidding, but you clearly missed my point. Simmons and others should've gotten days off previous series to this one. Then they'd not came into this series so worn out.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Exactly, a number of us have been calling for him and others to get some days off. I was afraid Fredi would wait till this series to do it because he usually does it that way. That's just bad planning, same as his in-game managing to be honest.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Listening to Billy Shanks radio on the Internet. He says yes we need to be worried lol.

Bill is probably just worried about Heyward coming back...

JCarbo76
09-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Suppose had spent the money on Michael Bourne?

We would be pissed that we overspent for a 30 year old whose production has declined significantly this season, continuing a trend that began in the second half of 2012, and who is still owed 53 million over the next four years.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 03:15 PM
We would be pissed that we overspent for a 30 year old whose production has declined significantly this season, continuing a trend that began in the second half of 2012, and who is still owed 53 million over the next four years.

That might be true for you and/or others, but not for me. Bourn is so great defensively he'd be worth it. He can have an off year and still be better than BJ Upton on defense (and offense for that matter apparently). A lot of fans overreacted to his second half on offense not considering enough how his great first half offensively and full season of great defense helped a lot.

If watching BJ Upton and co. this year doesn't make you appreciate Bourn, then I doubt you ever will.

JCarbo76
09-18-2013, 03:25 PM
That might be true for you and/or others, but not for me. Bourn is so great defensively he'd be worth it. He can have an off year and still be better than BJ Upton on defense (and offense for that matter apparently). A lot of fans overreacted to his second half on offense not considering enough how his great first half offensively and full season of great defense helped a lot.

If watching BJ Upton and co. this year doesn't make you appreciate Bourn, then I doubt you ever will.

Bourn has not been particularly good defensively this season, though. He is hitting .261/.315/.352 which is better than BJ, no doubt. And really, when you look at it, he never actually has been a great offensive player--good, some years, but he's not a 5 year 60 million player from age 30-34.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Bourn has not been particularly good defensively this season, though. He is hitting .261/.315/.352 which is better than BJ, no doubt. And really, when you look at it, he never actually has been a great offensive player--good, some years, but he's not a 5 year 60 million player from age 30-34.

Actually, Bourn has been good defensively this year, he's been very solid but not elite like last year. He was among the best of the best gold glove elite last year. Of course Bourn has still been better than BJ Upton defensively this year too. It's nothing new for Bourn to go from elite defense to good back to elite again. He seems to have an every other year thing going in that regard. Further, I agree that he's never been a great offensive player. But given Bourn's abilities on the bases. He can have a lower OPS and still score a lot of runs. While he's not done that as much this year, I'd also point out that he's missed time with injury and is learning a new league too. If he'd stayed in the NL East he'd done a lot better this year IMO (especially when you consider how weak the NL East has been this year overall).

That said, I disagree that he's not worth the contract he signed with Cleveland. I'd say given the current market that Cleveland got a very good deal. I also don't expect as much decline due to age as you do apparently.

NYCBrave
09-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Don't forget to point out he only has 22 SB this year, and 11 CS. That's a far cry from the 42 with us last year, or 61 the year before. Decline seems to be setting in.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Don't forget to point out he only has 22 SB this year, and 11 CS. That's a far cry from the 42 with us last year, or 61 the year before. Decline seems to be setting in.

Nah, he just missed time with injury and is learning a new league, etc. Plus last year Bourn had as many bad calls as anyone go against him regarding stolen bases.

NYCBrave
09-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Nah, he just missed time with injury and is learning a new league, etc. Plus last year Bourn had as many bad calls as anyone go against him regarding stolen bases.

I'm not buying the "Learning the new league". He's got over 500 plate appearances already this year. I guess BJ gets a free pass, he's learning the new league guys.

Braves1976
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not buying the "Learning the new league". He's got over 500 plate appearances already this year. I guess BJ gets a free pass, he's learning the new league guys.

I didn't list that as the only or main factor, but it's true both have been learning a new league. BJ Upton has been terrible so it's not fair to even compare the two IMO. It seems some of y'all are wishing a decline on Bourn. If not then you sure are jumping the gun along with ignoring other factors, etc.

holden
09-18-2013, 04:08 PM

What is big about this game?

Honestly, we could lose out and probably still make the playoffs at this point.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 04:11 PM
What is big about this game?

Honestly, we could lose out and probably still make the playoffs at this point.

Chance to get the magic number down. Knock Washington a game further back from the playoffs more than anything. I don't see what's so complicated. They're a red-hot team, and red-hot teams tend to do very well in the postseason. You don't want to face them in the playoffs.

yeezus
09-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Leadoff type - 2B
JUpton - RF
Freeman - 1B
Gattis - C
Heyward - RF
CJohnson - 3B
BJ Upton - CF
Simmons - SS

Why exactly would we bat Heyward 5th?

Heyward
09-18-2013, 04:49 PM

I'd probably agree, and I don't see what's so big about this game.

We may lose but if so, oh well.

And if the Nats make the playoffs, they earned it, that's baseball.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Anybody who makes the postseason "earned" it. Doesn't mean you don't make it as hard on them as possible. The game is big. Not life or death, but important nonetheless.

Enscheff
09-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Folks are acting like we haven't watched this team play horrible stretches a few times this season. Two months into the season we ALL knew this was a streaky team that is a good streak away from the WS, and a bad streak away from a embarassing playoff exit.

Let's just hope getting Heyward back into the leadoff slot and the pitching staff getting this rest sparks a hot streak that starts in about 2 weeks. Who gives a **** about what happens during the rest of these regular season games?

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Mainly because it's better for the team, especially a young one, mentally, to go 7-4 the rest of the way instead of 2-9. Everyone here knows the Braves are capable of turning it around again as early as tonight. It's more than justified, though, to be concerned with the postseason nearing.

Enscheff
09-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Every young player on this roster has watched this team go hot/cold/hot/cold all season. I doubt it catches any of them off guard to struggle for a 1-2 week stretch.

As long as they win the NL East they have just as good a chance as any other NL team to get to the WS. Everyone was all over the Dodgers nuts 2 weeks ago and now look at them...struggling just like the Braves. The Cards are about to pass both teams up for the best record in the NL, and they themselves were just playing terribly a few weeks ago.

Why? Because it's baseball.

Baseball players who are over the age of 20 understand this. Do you really think a guy like Freeman or Minor are worried one bit about a bad stretch of games when the division is all but wrapped up?

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Struggling in late September carries a little more significance than struggling in June.

I agree though. Get in, and everyone is 0-0 to start with.

NinersSBChamps
09-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Meh whatever.

JCarbo76
09-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I didn't list that as the only or main factor, but it's true both have been learning a new league. BJ Upton has been terrible so it's not fair to even compare the two IMO. It seems some of y'all are wishing a decline on Bourn. If not then you sure are jumping the gun along with ignoring other factors, etc.

But he's not overpaid as a leadoff hitter with virtually the same OBP as Dan Uggla? And I am not comparing Bourne to B.J. I am simply saying that Bourne is overpaid and a bad investment for Cleveland.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Now THAT got us back on track.

Heyward
09-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Anybody who makes the postseason "earned" it. Doesn't mean you don't make it as hard on them as possible. The game is big. Not life or death, but important nonetheless.

We won, happy now, ya negative nancy.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 09:33 PM
We won, happy now, ya negative nancy.

Sure thing, Reverse Jinx man. Don't tell me that game didn't matter. Look at the intensity we played with after the fifth.

Heyward
09-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Sure thing, Reverse Jinx man. Don't tell me that game didn't matter. Look at the intensity we played with after the fifth.

I will say it mattered since the Nats will probably sweep the Fish.

And leaving there up 9 instead if 7 is pretty huge.

Would of been sweet to clinch in DC but baseball is a cruel game.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 09:36 PM
I will say it mattered since the Nats will probably sweep the Fish.

And leaving there up 9 instead if 7 is pretty huge.

Would of been sweet to clinch in DC but baseball is a cruel game.

Yea, still it almost feels like we won the series. We practically did, other than the freaky ninth yesterday.

Heyward
09-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Just saw the Simmons error, actually a pretty tough hop but should of been made.

weso1
09-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Just saw the Simmons error, actually a pretty tough hop but should of been made.

You just complained about Simmons making an error, but yet you just made a grammatical error with that sentence. ZOMG. Remove the splinter from your own eye before complaining about the plank from another person's eye.

Bdawg2309
09-18-2013, 10:22 PM
well the last time a team with a crappy september won the WS was 2006

Heyward
09-18-2013, 10:25 PM
well the last time a team with a crappy september won the WS was 2006

Playoffs are a crapshoot, odds are we wont win it all but neither will 7 other teams.

Get in healthy, with Heyward and let the chips fall where they may.

cajunrevenge
09-18-2013, 11:08 PM
You know your a negatron when your team has a 7 game lead with 11 games to play and you are worried that they might not win the division. I am surprised negatrons can get any sleep, they must stay up all night worrying that the sun wont rise in the morning.

bravesnumberone
09-18-2013, 11:09 PM
I know one thing. If we do play well from here on out and go on to win the whole thing, we can all look back to tonight as a big catalyst.

The Chosen One
09-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I know one thing. If we do play well from here on out and go on to win the whole thing, we can all look back to tonight as a big catalyst.

It would have been Wood's hard knocks that shook the team up and made them rise to the final scenes of the season.

Bdawg2309
09-19-2013, 01:41 AM
You know your a negatron when your team has a 7 game lead with 11 games to play and you are worried that they might not win the division. I am surprised negatrons can get any sleep, they must stay up all night worrying that the sun wont rise in the morning.

pls

jcc03004
09-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Doesn't every team who wins the World Series need a spectacular run? Thanks Captain Obvious.
As usual you missed the point very few said at the beginning of the year that this was a World Series or bust team we were HOPING to win the division and get out of the first round (nlds) it was not guaranteed. No matter if we win the World Series or not this has not been a bust year and frankly if you don't see this teams weakness you are blind. Our offense is hit or miss we're prone to long slumps and months of .500 play that is not a World Series favorite team. You guys are acting like we're World Series favorites and were not. That's not pAnicing that's living in the real world. Yah I'll be ecstatic if we win the World Series but its not likely. Like I said I'll be happy making it to the nlcs. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't give you the right to attack them so stop acting like a douche Iight

CyYoung31
09-19-2013, 06:47 AM
As usual you missed the point very few said at the beginning of the year that this was a World Series or bust team we were HOPING to win the division and get out of the first round (nlds) it was not guaranteed. No matter if we win the World Series or not this has not been a bust year and frankly if you don't see this teams weakness you are blind. Our offense is hit or miss we're prone to long slumps and months of .500 play that is not a World Series favorite team. You guys are acting like we're World Series favorites and were not. That's not pAnicing that's living in the real world. Yah I'll be ecstatic if we win the World Series but its not likely. Like I said I'll be happy making it to the nlcs. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't give you the right to attack them so stop acting like a douche Iight

You have a very broad definition of the word 'attacking'. And nothing that you just posted had any relevance to my point. Every team that wins the World Series has to have a great run. Otherwise, they wouldn't win the World Series. That's an empty statement.

Dunit24
09-19-2013, 07:00 AM
This team is what it is. It looks red hot and suddenly goes on a cold streak. When they are on a cold streak, suddenly something clicks and we go on a hot streak. Our colds are colder than most and our hots are hotter than most. Lets just hope we catch fire in the postseason bc if we do, we win a title.

gcbraves
09-19-2013, 07:36 AM
I do not think there is a "super" team in the playoff bound clubs that sticks out as being far superior to all the others. Every team has some flaw or two. The Braves have just as many pros and cons as the others. And as such, are just as likely to win the whole thing as any other club, IMO.

Dunit24
09-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Exactly. Our pitching might not have an ace, but Minor-Teheran-Wood-Medlen all have the stuff, if they are on, to lead us to a title.

We have the hitters that can carry a club, and then we have Kimbrel.

I dont think anyone can beat us if we are on.

stpeteirish
09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
and don't look now but the Dodgers, everybody's trendy pick as the team to beat, are colder than we are. And the Cards, who are on our heels, have to play the Nats while we get the Cubs. We could still pull out home field.

Correction, Nats play the Marlins, then the Cards. Could be still in the WC race and give the Cards a few more losses.

stpeteirish
09-19-2013, 09:17 AM

No. I sleep. But when I wake up I start worrying again.

NYCBrave
09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
and don't look now but the Dodgers, everybody's trendy pick as the team to beat, are colder than we are. And the Cards, who are on our heels, have to play the Nats while we get the Cubs. We could still pull out home field.

Correction, Nats play the Marlins, then the Cards. Could be still in the WC race and give the Cards a few more losses.

The Dodgers are 7-10 this month. I guess we can count them out of winning the world series, you need a hot September to win from what I've read here.

jason27nc
09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't know but that win last night was huge in my book. It pretty much slammed the freaking door on the Nats! It gave our guys some much need confidence and allowed them to get the whole collapse out of their head. I know they had it because everyone was starting to talk about it. Now the great news is, we get a young energetic shot of Jason Heyward back soon. That is exactly what this team needs right now. I am hearing great stuff about him and I think he will continue what was put on pause in New York in August. GO Braves and F the Nats!

jcc03004
09-19-2013, 10:10 AM
My point is the world is not over and this season is not a bust if we don't win the World Series we are most likely going to top our win total from last year and accomplish more then most of us believed when the season started. All of this with 2 regulars hitting below .200 losing EOF, venters, huddy and Pena for the yeAr. You said World Series or bust That's what I was referring to. We can win the World Series if everything falls into place I'm not trying to be negative, actually trying to put a positive spin on things if we don't. So what do you believe is necessary for a long post season run ? Which is what I was getting at when I started the topic maybe panic was to strong a word

jcc03004
09-19-2013, 10:13 AM
My point is the world is not over and this season is not a bust if we don't win the World Series we are most likely going to top our win total from last year and accomplish more then most of us believed when the season started. All of this with 2 regulars hitting below .200 losing EOF, venters, huddy and Pena for the yeAr. You said World Series or bust That's what I was referring to. We can win the World Series if everything falls into place I'm not trying to be negative, actually trying to put a positive spin on things if we don't. So what do you believe is necessary for a long post season run ? Which is what I was getting at when I started the topic maybe panic was to strong a word
Anyway, it's good to see so many people here from the scout.com site damn that place is a ghost town now.

The Chosen One
09-19-2013, 10:32 AM
My only fear in the playoffs is that Fredi over manages and pulls the hook on our starters too quick in the 5th or 6th inning.

NYCBrave
09-19-2013, 11:58 AM
My only fear in the playoffs is that Fredi over manages and pulls the hook on our starters too quick in the 5th or 6th inning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the trend with Fredi is that he doesn't usually tend to pull pitchers (unless they get bombed) until they reach around the 100 pitch mark (I know there was that Medlen start). I can see that trend continuing in the playoffs.

The Chosen One
09-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the trend with Fredi is that he doesn't usually tend to pull pitchers (unless they get bombed) until they reach around the 100 pitch mark (I know there was that Medlen start). I can see that trend continuing in the playoffs.

Yeah but Fredi's never managed a real postseason series before, just late September games and the one Wild Card game.

I could see with him being a rookie postseason series manager, he might get a little too ancy and go to the pen too early.

bravesnumberone
09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Bobby went to the pen too late sometimes; then again he didn't have that many great bullpens to begin with.

The Chosen One
09-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Bobby went to the pen too late sometimes; then again he didn't have that many great bullpens to begin with.

Agreed.

That's why I think Fredi will go too quick... even if Avilan can't go, he's still going to put him in there anyways.

I feel Fredi may try to shorten the game by removing the starter earlier to use the bullpen, instead of giving our starter a chance to go 7 strong.

NYCBrave
09-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Here's a summation of why we lost every year in the playoffs since 2000:

2000 (Lost 3-0 in NLDS to Cardinals): Maddux, Glavine, and Millwood all got bombed. We had no shot.
2001 (Lost 4-1 in NLCS to D-Backs): Effectively, Randy Johnson owned us 2 games, and Schilling in another. Maddux got bombed on 3 days rest in Game 4 vs. Albie Lopez (!!!)
2002 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Giants): In his 2 starts, Glavine gave up 6 ER and 7 ER. We only got 1 run off of Russ Ortiz in Game 5. Bonds had 3 homers in the series.
2003 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Cubs): Wood shut us down in Game 1, Mark Prior complete game in Game 3, Wood shut us down again in Game 5.
2004 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Astros): Beltran hit 4 homers, Jaret Wright had 2 bad starts, John Thomson and Russ Ortiz did very poor. We couldn't touch that bum Brandon Backe in game 3.
2005 (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Astros): Hudson got bombed in Game 1, Sosa gave up 3 in Game 3 and then Reitsma imploded, Game 4 was the fluke game where it went 18 innings and Ausmus hit the cheapest home run known to man over some random white line on the outfield wall.
2010: (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Giants): Couldn't touch Lincecum in Game 1, miracle comeback in game 2 after Hanson did horrible, can't comment on game 3, game 4 bumgarner and lowe in a tight one that we lost.

What's the trend here? Our pitching has pretty much failed us every year, and when they've done ok, our hitting dissapeared.

bravesnumberone
09-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Here's a summation of why we lost every year in the playoffs since 2000:

2000 (Lost 3-0 in NLDS to Cardinals): Maddux, Glavine, and Millwood all got bombed. We had no shot.
2001 (Lost 4-1 in NLCS to D-Backs): Effectively, Randy Johnson owned us 2 games, and Schilling in another. Maddux got bombed on 3 days rest in Game 4 vs. Albie Lopez (!!!)
2002 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Giants): In his 2 starts, Glavine gave up 6 ER and 7 ER. We only got 1 run off of Russ Ortiz in Game 5. Bonds had 3 homers in the series.
2003 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Cubs): Wood shut us down in Game 1, Mark Prior complete game in Game 3, Wood shut us down again in Game 5.
2004 (Lost 3-2 in NLDS to Astros): Beltran hit 4 homers, Jaret Wright had 2 bad starts, John Thomson and Russ Ortiz did very poor. We couldn't touch that bum Brandon Backe in game 3.
2005 (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Astros): Hudson got bombed in Game 1, Sosa gave up 3 in Game 3 and then Reitsma imploded, Game 4 was the fluke game where it went 18 innings and Ausmus hit the cheapest home run known to man over some random white line on the outfield wall.
2010: (Lost 3-1 in NLDS to Giants): Couldn't touch Lincecum in Game 1, miracle comeback in game 2 after Hanson did horrible, can't comment on game 3, game 4 bumgarner and lowe in a tight one that we lost.

What's the trend here? Our pitching has pretty much failed us every year, and when they've done ok, our hitting dissapeared.

In a nutshell. I would also add about 2010, that the only run scored in game 1 was because an incorrect call was made at second base that later allowed the Giants run to score. Game 3, Kimbrel got squeezed, and Conrad made a costly error.

Nerfherders
09-19-2013, 03:54 PM
I would argue that our colds haven't even been that cold. Between the 14-2 start and the start of the 14-0 run, we went 43-43.

zitothebrave
09-19-2013, 05:27 PM
I would argue that our colds haven't even been that cold. Between the 14-2 start and the start of the 14-0 run, we went 43-43.

Our longest losing streak is 4 games. Before this month, our most losing month was June where we went 16-12

We're struggling this month that's for sure, but it was a risk considering we went 20-7 in August.

Bj1133
09-19-2013, 06:22 PM
I still believe that with a healthy Chipper/Prado/Wagner the Braves win that 2010 NLDS vs the Giants. Heck, even just a healthy Wagner may have been enough

Runnin
09-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Yeah but Fredi's never managed a real postseason series before, just late September games and the one Wild Card game.

I could see with him being a rookie postseason series manager, he might get a little too ancy and go to the pen too early.
Where Roger's opinion in this scenario? Any decision Frederick makes is gonna be with input from one of the best pitching coaches in baseball.