PDA

View Full Version : SATURDAY MINORS THREAD 6/3 ... Can Anyone Here Get a Hit?

rico43
06-03-2017, 05:22 AM
SATURDAY SCOREBOARD

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 6, Indianapolis 4 (11)
Gwinnett blew 4-0 lead in 8th

SP: Weigel 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 5 K
Da. Peterson 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Cabrera 1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Burgos 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Cruz (BS) 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, HR
WP: Santiago (1-0) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Albies 2-5, 3B, HR (3rd), 2 R, 2 RBI
J. Peterson 3-6, 2 2B, 2 RBI
Adams 1-5, 3B, R, RBI
Du. Peterson 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB
Rojas 2-6, R
Avery 1-1, 2B (PH)

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_06_03_gwiaaa_indaaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS AA

Mississippi 4, Jackson 3

SP: Gohara 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
WP: Biddle (2-2) 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Mader 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Hursh (Save, 4) 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K

Demeritte 3-3, 3B, 2 HR (8th, 9th), 3 R, 3 RBI
Acuna 1-4, CS
Meneses 1-4, RBI

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_06_03_msbaax_jacaax_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

ADVANCED CLASS A

St. Lucie @ Florida (22-33), ppd.

CLASS A

Rome 4, West Virginia 3

WP: Wentz (2-3) 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
McCreery 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Kennedy (Save, 3) 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Cumberland 0-2, R, HBP
Concepcion 1-2, 3B, R, RBI, SF
Josephina 1-4, 2B
Hoekstra 1-3, R, RBI, SB
Ellison 1-2, 2B, R, SAC

DOMINICAN SUMMER

DSL Astros @ DSL Braves (0-0), 10:35

SP: TBA

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_06_03_wvaafx_romafx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

All Times Eastern

CJ9
06-03-2017, 09:02 AM
The DSL gets started this morning at 10:30. Here's the Braves roster: http://m.milb.com/t605/roster/

The only names I recognized were our two $1+ million RHPs in last year's July 2 class Yefri Del Rosario and Juan Contreras. Also seems like a good indication that all of the $1+ million hitters we signed will at least start in the GCL.

zbhargrove
06-03-2017, 10:31 AM
The DSL gets started this morning at 10:30. Here's the Braves roster: http://m.milb.com/t605/roster/

The only names I recognized were our two $1+ million RHPs in last year's July 2 class Yefri Del Rosario and Juan Contreras. Also seems like a good indication that all of the $1+ million hitters we signed will at least start in the GCL.

Its always fun to see if some of these unheralded guys we signed end up being legit prospects. Ideally Del Rosario and Contrera dominate early. Wonder where the Colombian guy Zuniga is going to be... seemed like he was the least heralded of the pitchers signed that were widely publicized.

CJ9
06-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Its always fun to see if some of these unheralded guys we signed end up being legit prospects. Ideally Del Rosario and Contrera dominate early. Wonder where the Colombian guy Zuniga is going to be... seemed like he was the least heralded of the pitchers signed that were widely publicized.

He actually threw 10 innings in five appearances in the DSL last year. I forgot what the loop hole was that allowed him to play last season, maybe age-related?

I bet he starts in the GCL this year. Pretty sure I remember Longenhagen being complementary of him in the fangraphs Braves write up.

SJ24
06-03-2017, 10:58 AM

I recognize Lisandro Santos (signed him last year I think?) and Alger Hodgson (Longenhagen says he's a prospect)

De Hoyos, Adrianza, and Sucre were signed last year, as well. Juan Morales the year before with Cruz and Pache.

SJ24
06-03-2017, 11:00 AM
He actually threw 10 innings in five appearances in the DSL last year. I forgot what the loop hole was that allowed him to play last season, maybe age-related?

I bet he starts in the GCL this year. Pretty sure I remember Longenhagen being complementary of him in the fangraphs Braves write up.

Correct. Zuniga is certainly intriguing. He and a couple others from the heralded 2016 class started last year. Jeffry Ramos was one.

zbhargrove
06-03-2017, 11:50 AM
That's right I forgot. I'm excited about Zuniga's potential

mqt
06-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Just based on the number of MIF we have in Extended right now, we will see some more names added to the DSL roster once they determine who gets the spots in Danville and the GCL.

Juan Morales is an interesting name to watch. He was considered a fairly high profile IFA signing. Not nearly at the Cruz/Pache level, but ranked and a pretty decent bonus.

Deester11
06-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Checking out the Rome game tonight. It'll be the second time I've seen Wentz. Hopefully he continues to pitch well. Cumberland has looked much better to this point and wasn't as lost as when I saw him earlier.

Preacher
06-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Really interested to see how they break up the playing time for our young infielders. We brought in four high profile infielders last J2.

Maitan, Soto, Pena, and Severino. Maitan probably starts at SS, Pena at 3B and Severino at 2B; but I don't know where that leaves Soto who sounds like he can play SS and has a good hit tool.

And you still have Morales and Braulio Vasquez who can play SS, Vasquez played really well last year.

Personally I was surprised one of these guys didn't start in the DSL.

msstate7
06-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Acuna 1-1, cs
Demeritte 1-1, hr (8)

mqt
06-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Really interested to see how they break up the playing time for our young infielders. We brought in four high profile infielders last J2.

Maitan, Soto, Pena, and Severino. Maitan probably starts at SS, Pena at 3B and Severino at 2B; but I don't know where that leaves Soto who sounds like he can play SS and has a good hit tool.

And you still have Morales and Braulio Vasquez who can play SS, Vasquez played really well last year.

Yeah, I would find it odd if we don't have one of Severino or Soto playing SS at a different level than Maitan. Maybe Vasquez gets bumped to Danville?

msstate7
06-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Wentz...
5.0 ip 3 h 2 r 2 bb 6 k

50PoundHead
06-03-2017, 06:53 PM

And when you figure Derrian Cruz probably starts the season in Danville as the SS unless they move him to the OF, there's yet another middle infielder in the mix.

msstate7
06-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Gohara pulled after 2.1...
2.1 ip 3 h. 1 er 1 bb 2 k 42 pitches

msstate7
06-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Demeritte hits 2nd hr

50PoundHead
06-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Demeritte hits 2nd hr

Starting to hit some HRs with his season-long K-rate down from past years. Good sign.

UNCBlue012
06-03-2017, 07:43 PM
TD is now 3-3 with 2 homers and a triple

bravesfanMatt
06-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Good game for TD.. Anyone hears anything about Gohard, post. I am not checking around for info because I am working on a patio and then dinner. I have a feeling it is just a hard pitch count, but still would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Southcack77
06-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Good game for TD.. Anyone hears anything about Gohard, post. I am not checking around for info because I am working on a patio and then dinner. I have a feeling it is just a hard pitch count, but still would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Twitter seems to suggest it was pitch count.

msstate7
06-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Albies 1-3, 3b
Jace 2-4, 2 2b

thethe
06-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Reports if TDs defense at third have been positive.

Tapate50
06-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Decent night on the farm for some of the bats.

thethe
06-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Decent night on the farm for some of the bats.

The progression of the everyday players has been quite the development this year.

msstate7
06-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Cabrera...
1.0 ip 0 h 0 er 0 bb 2 k

Last 6 outings...
7.0 ip 1 h 1 er 4 bb 4 k
3 of the 4 bb were in 1 outing

bravesfanMatt
06-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Cabrera...
1.0 ip 0 h 0 er 0 bb 2 k

Last 6 outings...
7.0 ip 1 h 1 er 4 bb 4 k
3 of the 4 bb were in 1 outing

nice job.. jinxer..

msstate7
06-03-2017, 09:09 PM
nice job.. jinxer..

Lol... why did he go back out? Look I can't help Gwinnett lost their awesome manager to the braves

Russ2dollas
06-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Demerite....does he have a shot for a call up with roster expansion?

CJ9
06-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Albies two-run homer from the left side. I want to say that's his first career homer left handed but I might be forgetting one. He also has a triple tonight.

msstate7
06-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Albies two-run homer from the left side. I want to say that's his first career homer left handed but I might be forgetting one. He also has a triple tonight.

Excellent. I'm really hoping we're about to see him string together some multi-hit games

atl717
06-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Albies has definitely hit some homers from the left side. Hit one in spring training too I think.

Deester11
06-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Well, I've not done one for you guys/gals, but here you go. Scouting the "A" ball group.
Wentz - Very good night for him. A bloop and lazy defense contributed to one run. MY THOUGHTS - Left handed Povse?...better? He's about 3" shorter, but 30 pounds heavier. Very unflappable. He literally went through adversity and you couldn't tell if he was upset or not with laziness from Yeudi. Ok. Three times now I've seen him. Fastball is guessing in most stadiums, I'd say he was about 90-94, not 89-91. The mitt was popping and his curve or slider was late breaking. Hit the corners nicely. He looks like he's going to be a horse.

Cumberland - Was right on each pitch that he swung at. Was hit in the first AB so his second was watched more intently. He looks to do damage with that swing. Was behind a good fastball in his third AB, but was on it. Defensively was were I was most intent and he blocked about 5 pitches in the dirt. He looked more than serviceable and I was impressed more than when I saw him earlier. He uses his body nicely, but is pretty big. Going to be interesting to see how he does. Does not look as lost at the plate and has an idea now.

Pache - Speed is evident, execution ....well, four times I've seen him now. He's looked good in 3/4 of those times with tonight being....YUCK. He tried to lay down the ugliest bunt I've ever seen almost. HA. Then the ump called him out on a foul ball that hit him after calling him safe/foul. IN any case, defense is not even a question with him. He has good bat speed (Not Albies elite), but with experience he should be ok. I didn't like this last game, but I've seen the talent. He's raw...or more raw than most, but holding his own. Not worried about him.

Hokestra - Stringbean...but had a couple of good hits. He's been serviceable, but I wonder if he'll make it.
Mooney - Meh....dime a dozen utility guy in my eyes.
McCreery - Love that offspeed stuff. Good FB, serviceable curve or should I say good swing and miss pitch with more play.
Josephina - heralded signing that has some bat...not enough IMHO.
Yeudi Grullon - meh. Sorry, there may be something there, but I haven't seen it much.

Justin Ellison - I would be missing out if I didn't mention him. Obvious tools. Looks like a kid...and he is. But he turned on a pitch and lined it to the fence. I've seen that a few times from him. He's an athlete for sure. I think he has a good chance with Defense, a little offense mixed in.

I have great pics, but never load them here. PM me and I'll post them here for everyone.

CJ9
06-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Good post, Deester. What'd you think of Cumberland behind the plate?

Deester11
06-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Good post, Deester. What'd you think of Cumberland behind the plate?
To be so-called questionable, he was good this last time out. I was looking for agility and blocking balls...he passed those easily. He wasn't tested before I left, but I've seen him a few times and I'm not concerned about his pop time, more with his ability to get out from the crouch. Tonight he was cat quick. He took command with Wentz and patted him on the back and controlled the infield. Much better and has a great shot to stick.

zbhargrove
06-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Cumberland is about to see his stock rise rapidly methinks. Could be quite and asset for us if he can make catching stick.

Deester11
06-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Cumberland is about to see his stock rise rapidly methinks. Could be quite and asset for us if he can make catching stick.
If he can provide an ounce of defense and keep up that bat, he'll be a revelation. He didn't look lost at all behind the plate. He's improved everytime I've seen him. Although, Herbert is coming around with the bat and is the unquestioned whiz kid defensively. I've loved his play overall.

zbhargrove
06-03-2017, 10:36 PM
If he can provide an ounce of defense and keep up that bat, he'll be a revelation. He didn't look lost at all behind the plate. He's improved everytime I've seen him. Although, Herbert is coming around with the bat and is the unquestioned whiz kid defensively. I've loved his play overall.

Yeah all the sudden if Jackson can successfully transition and Herbert keeps improving, we could have quite the luxury at Catcher.

chipchildress
06-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Weigel is bouncing back well from that awful start a few weeks back. Extremely encouraging there. I suspect he'll be in the atlanta rotation with Newcomb before long at this rate.

Preacher
06-04-2017, 10:35 AM
Weigel is bouncing back well from that awful start a few weeks back. Extremely encouraging there. I suspect he'll be in the atlanta rotation with Newcomb before long at this rate.

Was reading on TalkingChop that Wiegel was still pumping 97-98 MPH fastballs at the end of his 110 pitch outing, a lot to be encouraged with there.

Certainly a chance that he gets up to the majors this season, although he's still got work to do with his command, yesterday was at 110 pitches after 5 innings.

chipchildress
06-04-2017, 10:39 AM
his 4 walks yesterday was a season high i believe. not bad considering his command is one of his weaknesses.
i'm really interested to see how the next month unfolds for him. he could be on the verge of really breaking out here.

Preacher
06-04-2017, 10:45 AM
his 4 walks yesterday was a season high i believe. not bad considering his command is one of his weaknesses.
i'm really interested to see how the next month unfolds for him. he could be on the verge of really breaking out here.

I think there's a ton to like here.

Weigel was only walking 2.65/9 at AA, I wonder if his first couple starts at AAA are just nerves. He was clearly showing improved command earlier this year. If he's commanding his pitchers, he's going to be tough to deal with at any level -- just not many arms on the planet that are throwing 98 MPH at 110 pitches. His AAA BABIP is also sitting at .350, so clearly that'll come down a little bit..... I'm very encouraged.

zbhargrove
06-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Weigel seems to have the durability and endurance to be a work horse. If he can keep that velocity up and keep his control in check he's going to surprise with his ceiling

chipchildress
06-04-2017, 12:32 PM
I said it in the winter and I'll say it again. Weigel may end up as Atlanta's top pitching prospect before long.

mqt
06-04-2017, 05:02 PM

His stock has definitely improved with this stretch, but a college guy in Rome should be performing. This at least got me reinvested in him, though.