PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NFL Tax Exempt?

Blumpkin
09-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone know?

goldfly
09-21-2013, 02:38 PM
cause sports are the new religion in this country

Blumpkin
09-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Well the NBA and MLB lost their exempt status years ago, curious why the NFL still has theirs. They make more money than all the others combined IIRC

goldfly
09-21-2013, 03:40 PM
cause our tax code is bull**** where rich people get to cheat the system

zitothebrave
09-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Well the NBA and MLB lost their exempt status years ago, curious why the NFL still has theirs. They make more money than all the others combined IIRC

"While Public Law 89-800 was being negotiated with congressional leaders, NFL lobbyists tossed in the sort of obscure provision that is the essence of the lobbyist’s art. The phrase or professional football leagues was added to Section 501(c)6 of 26 U.S.C., the Internal Revenue Code. Previously, a sentence in Section 501(c)6 had granted not-for-profit status to “business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, or boards of trade.” Since 1966, the code has read: “business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, boards of trade, or professional football leagues.”"

Here's a big list of why the NFL is ridonkulous

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

Tapate50
09-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Boy thats regronkulous.

50PoundHead
09-23-2013, 09:48 AM
The teams themselves aren't tax exempt, but I can see the logic (although I disagree with it violently) as to how the league's governing organization can be construed (barely) as a non-profit organization. Just another example of "lobbyist magic."

I don't imagine that there were too many free tickets handed out to help secure the tax-exempt status. :roll:

goldfly
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
yeah, non profit my ass

the tv black out rule proves that

**** those greedy ****s

50PoundHead
09-23-2013, 12:06 PM
yeah, non profit my ass

the tv black out rule proves that

**** those greedy ****s

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with you. It's just that the non-profit loophole is so vague that it's rife with cheaters claiming the status. What makes this one so outrageous is that the NFL knew it needed legislation because any scrutiny would have denied the status. That's not to say that some trade associations snuggle up close to this same problem.