PDA

View Full Version : DOTW 9/23/'13: Playoff Roster - Who Should Be Our 25?

NYCBrave
09-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Here's our current roster since we expanded the rosters. Who needs to be our 25 that make the playoff roster? I imagine the toughest decisions will be around whether we're going with 4 starters, and if so who will be the 4th, as well as the back end of the bullpen and possibly the final bench spot. Thoughts?

Pitchers

Luis Avilan
Luis Ayala
David Carpenter
Scott Downs
Freddy Garcia
David Hale
Craig Kimbrel
Kameron Loe
Paul Maholm
Kris Medlen
Mike Minor
Julio Teheran
Anthony Varvaro
Jordan Walden
Alex Wood

Catchers

Christian Bethancourt
Evan Gattis
Gerald Laird
Brian McCann

Infielders

Freddie Freeman
Paul Janish
Chris Johnson
Elliot Johnson
Andrelton Simmons
Dan Uggla

Outfielders

Jose Constanza
Jason Heyward
Reed Johnson
Jordan Schafer
Joey Terdoslavich
B.J. Upton
Justin Upton

zitothebrave
09-23-2013, 08:39 AM
This is what I presume we'll go with

SP

Medlen
Minor
Julio
Wood

RP

Kimbrel
Avilan
Walden
Carpenter
Downs
Ayala
Loe/Garcia/Maholm (to pitch the garbage innings)

C - Mac
1B - Freddie
2B - Uggla/Johnson (really hope Uggla starts hitting cause I don't want Elliot Johnson as our starting 2B)
3B - Johnson
SS - SImmons
LF - Gattis
CF - Jason
RF - Justin

Regular late defensive substitutions

Bench

BOssman
Schafer
Laird
Johnson/Uggla

Then the last 2 spots I'm largely up for consideration. I presume Janish has the inside track on one of them as the only real backup SS. Bethancourt would take a miracle to get him and Gattis both on the postseason roster so I'll just presume that won't happen. Reed I think will come down with a phantom injury to make way for Gattis. Though who knows maybe that person to come down with the phantom injury would be Terds. All I know is someone from that list won't make it because of Gattis. Personally I'd roll with one more reliever and then bring Janish. Don't need 3 backup OF with Jason and Justin who'll be starting every game.

NYCBrave
09-23-2013, 08:42 AM
It seems like Janish has settled nicely into that pinch runner/end of game defensive replacement for CJ role.

Also, I hate to say it but I'd almost rather see Constanza on here over BJ. It's not like BJ is going to have a chance to catch fire in the playoffs since he won't be starting.

bravesnumberone
09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I think the first thing you have to decide is are we going to go with three starters for the NLDS or four. And then are we going to carry 11 pitchers or 12? I'm guessing Fredi will go with 12, but he's never managed a postseason series so we don't know.

Assuming we do go 12 pitchers.

S1: Medlen
S2: Minor
S3: Julio
S4: If there is a fourth starter, it could be Wood, but I also could see it being Maholm or Garcia. The main reason being with Avilan's arm wearing down and Downs struggling, we may need Wood in the bullpen. But if we're down 2-1 at that point, I don't see how you wouldn't go with Medlen in game 4.

Bullpen:
Kimbrel
Avilan
Walden
Carpenter
Downs
Ayala or Varvaro - Would personally prefer Varvaro, but it'll be Ayala
Wood/Maholm/Garcia

Not even going to include Loe in the discussion.

Lineup
Heyward
Justin
Freeman
CJ
Mac
Gattis
Simmons
Uggla/EJ

Bench
Laird
Uggla/EJ
BJ
Schafer
Janish

And if there are six bench players, it'll be between Reed and Terd. I'm not comfortable with putting Reed in there unless we're able to get him some at bats this week, and that's difficult to do if he can't play in the field.

50PoundHead
09-23-2013, 12:20 PM
I can't get a read on Fredi's use of Varvaro, but it would seem that Ayala is preferred.

I'm not much on Eliot Johnson and I don't see how the brass could justify having a $14 million player not on the playoff roster, but that's what it has come to. What a bleak situation.

Heyward
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Tough.

Mac
Freeman
Uggla
Simba
CJ
Gattis
Heyward
JUp

Bench

EJ
Janish
BJ
Laird
Schafer

Medlen
Minor
Julio
Wood

Kimbrel
Walden
Carpenter
Avilan
Downs
Varvaro
Ayala
Garcia

Could see Wood in the pen as well.

Nerfherders
09-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Medlen
Minor
Teheran
Maholm

Kimbrel
Avilan
Carpenter
Wood
Walden
Varvaro
Downs

Freeman
Uggla
Simmons
C Johnson
McCann
Laird
Gattis
E Johnson
Janish

Upton
Upton
Heyward
Schafer

nsacpi
09-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Using Wood to relieve yesterday is a tip regarding to management's thinking.

NYCBrave
09-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Using Wood to relieve yesterday is a tip regarding to management's thinking.

You think they're seriously considering Garcia/Maholm for the 4th spot, or maybe just preparing for everything?

nsacpi
09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
You think they're seriously considering Garcia/Maholm for the 4th spot, or maybe just preparing for everything?

I think it is under consideration.

57Brave
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
God it is fun considering the playoff roster on the 23rd of September .. what a great season

BlackwaterPark
09-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Pitchers

Luis Avilan
David Carpenter
Scott Downs
Freddy Garcia
Craig Kimbrel
Kris Medlen
Mike Minor
Julio Teheran
Anthony Varvaro
Jordan Walden
Alex Wood

Catchers

Evan Gattis
Gerald Laird
Brian McCann

Infielders

Freddie Freeman
Chris Johnson
Elliot Johnson
Andrelton Simmons
Dan Uggla

Outfielders

Jason Heyward
Reed Johnson
Jordan Schafer
Joey Terdoslavich
B.J. Upton
Justin Upton

jcc03004
09-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Yah 50 I agree, Freddie's use of varvaro is questionable. Varvaro has been great pretty much all year and would prefer him over Ayala. It seems Freddie either throws Anthony a lot or he doesn't use him for 10 games. The question is though who's the set up man carpenter or walden

NYCBrave
09-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I have no idea what Varvaro's role is on this team.

nsacpi
09-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Ayala is more of a groundball pitcher, which makes me more comfortable with him on the mound in a close game. Fredi has mainly used Varvaro when the team has been behind or needed to rest the rest of the pen.

Nerfherders
09-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I find it interesting that most people are leaving Maholm off their playoff rosters, even in favor of Garcia. I'd rather have Maholm start over Garcia any day of the week, especially at home.

NYCBrave
09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I find it interesting that most people are leaving Maholm off their playoff rosters, even in favor of Garcia. I'd rather have Maholm start over Garcia any day of the week, especially at home.

The problem is there won't be an opportunity to start Maholm at home unless you want him starting in games 1 or 2 (no chance) or a do or die game 5.

bravebonebook
09-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Garcia did his job but is what he is. AT HOME, I could see Maholm being used. On the road or in a big need for an additional lefty I'd use Wood. I just don't see Garcia on the roster. But I do understand some of Ayala's experience and groundball ability over Varvaro; I just think Varvaro is the better pitcher. This team is covered top to bottom in youth. Experience will not be our strong point. If you want experience, put Huddy down there as a de facto bullpen/ bench coach and choose the pitcher with better ability: Varvaro over Ayala.

Bdawg2309
09-23-2013, 03:37 PM
@mlbbowman: "As expected Fredi said Wood's move to the pen makes Freddy Garcia a definite candidate to start Game 4 of the NLDS. #Braves"

@mlbbowman: Wood might have remained in the rotation if Walden and Avilan were doing what they had been most of the season.

emk418
09-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Wow Fredi. Freddy Garcia most likely in the playoff rotation?

MadduxFanII
09-23-2013, 03:46 PM
So, there's a non-zero chance that our season will come down to a Freddy Garcia start.

That's...that's not exactly what I was expecting.

sturg33
09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
And people wonder why folks think Fredi is a terrible manager

Heyward
09-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, Downs and Avilan haven't been great lately.

Could go with Medlen on short rest if he goes in Game 1.

Not sure why they wouldn't go Wood in Game 4.

nsacpi
09-23-2013, 04:14 PM
I suspect the game 1 pitcher might go in game 4 if it is an elimination game for us. Otherwise one of Maholm/Garcia will go in game 4, depending on which one does best in his last start and the other team's strengths and weaknesses against lefties/righties.

tvsportscaster
09-23-2013, 04:17 PM
You guys continue to trash Freddy Garcia, when all he's done is be very good for the Braves. Throw out what he did with the Orioles. EJ was crappy with KC and he's been good with Atlanta. Bottom line is right now, if Wood is moving to the pen, I'd rather have Garcia in the rotation than Maholm.

CyYoung31
09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
@mlbbowman: "As expected Fredi said Wood's move to the pen makes Freddy Garcia a definite candidate to start Game 4 of the NLDS. #Braves"

@mlbbowman: Wood might have remained in the rotation if Walden and Avilan were doing what they had been most of the season.

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1136159_o.gif

Braves1976
09-23-2013, 06:01 PM
You guys continue to trash Freddy Garcia, when all he's done is be very good for the Braves. Throw out what he did with the Orioles.

He pitched even better against Nats for O's and besides them he only faced a terrible Miami team starting. So why should we throw anything out? The last time I checked the Nats won't be in the playoffs. He's only shown so far that he can pitch well vs them and lowly Miami. But against most everyone else he's been very bad this year.

bravesnumberone
09-24-2013, 08:43 AM
A couple good starts aside, I'll be incredibly pissed if we're down 2-1 in the NLDS and we start Garcia or Maholm.

stpeteirish
09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
The question I have re the bullpen is what's the deal with Walden? He's not being used at all. Avilan is, for better or for worse.

skidlee
09-24-2013, 07:27 PM
And people wondered why I wanted a SP and another RP

FAIL WREN FAIL!!!!!

Dalyn
09-24-2013, 07:34 PM
And people wondered why I wanted a SP and another RP

FAIL WREN FAIL!!!!!

:confused:

I thought you argued with me that one wasn't needed...

skidlee
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM
I did at one point yes. But before the august 31st I was asking for one. Beachy wasn't doing well and Maholm was sucking. We needed to add one.

Dalyn
09-24-2013, 08:05 PM
I did at one point yes. But before the august 31st I was asking for one. Beachy wasn't doing well and Maholm was sucking. We needed to add one.

Thought it might have been someone else. Wren needed to grab someone before the season started. The result is that we have Freddy Garcia starting in the playoffs. You know, the guy people used as an example of the horrible choices out there and why Wren DIDN'T need to add another pitcher. :happy0157:

skidlee
09-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Wren was hoping Beachy would be healthy. Its not easy to find someone to stash in AAA at the start of the season. Most guys are going to sign where they can atleast be given a chance to win a spot in the rotation but the braves didn't have that. At the very least Wren should have gotten a RP. Avilan wasn't going to be lights out all year and Walden is a walking injury.

We are not going to fair well in the playoffs unless things change quickly.

Dalyn
09-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Wren was hoping Beachy would be healthy. Its not easy to find someone to stash in AAA at the start of the season. Most guys are going to sign where they can atleast be given a chance to win a spot in the rotation but the braves didn't have that. At the very least Wren should have gotten a RP. Avilan wasn't going to be lights out all year and Walden is a walking injury.

We are not going to fair well in the playoffs unless things change quickly.

Yep. He took several unnecessary risks. Hope the team gets lucky.

Heyward
09-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Yep. He took several unnecessary risks. Hope the team gets lucky.

Like he could of predicted all these injuries.

Dalyn
09-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Like he could have predicted all these injuries.

It was pretty easy, man. We've had no more than any other year (just different).

Last year we used 10 starting pitchers. How many this year? 10.

Last year we used 15 relief pitchers. How many this year? 15.

IT WAS OBVIOUS.

Carp
09-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Meds
Maholm
Huddy
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Gilmartin
Graham
Wood

That's 9 quality starters. That is plenty. This 10 starter stuff is crap. You can't compare other yrs pitching staffs to our current rotation. This is one of the deepest staffs we have had in recent memory. Only 2009 could be arguably better/dependable than this yr's staff. Hell, we didn't even need 10 starters this yr. And the only reason we even used 10 starters is b/c we had a playoff spot locked up, and we used Loe and Garcia in garbage tmie starts. So really we only needed 8 starters this yr.

If you have 5-6 above above average starters on ur staff already and several good starting pitching prospects at the top level of the minors, then no sane person is going to look at starting pitching depth as a need.

Dalyn
09-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Meds
Maholm
Huddy
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Gilmartin
Graham
Wood

That's 9 quality starters. That is plenty. This 10 starter stuff is crap. You can't compare other yrs pitching staffs to our current rotation. This is one of the deepest staffs we have had in recent memory. Only 2009 could be arguably better/dependable than this yr's staff. Hell, we didn't even need 10 starters this yr. And the only reason we even used 10 starters is b/c we had a playoff spot locked up, and we used Loe and Garcia in garbage tmie starts. So really we only needed 8 starters this yr.

If you have 5-6 above above average starters on ur staff already and several good starting pitching prospects at the top level of the minors, then no sane person is going to look at starting pitching depth as a need.

We have Freddy Garcia starting in the playoffs. No problem at all. Obviously.

We have needed at least eight pitchers for a decade. A decade. It isn't crap. And Beachy wasn't available for the first half and was coming off a major surgery. Gilmartin crashed in spring training. Graham was not quite ready for the big leagues. And Wood wasn't even on the radar (We got lucky there, thankfully). I can't believe some of you are so desperate not to have been wrong that you completely ignore the mess the staff is in. We are lucky the season isn't a month longer.

Bdawg2309
09-25-2013, 01:41 AM
should've gone after greinke instead of overpaid bum BJ

GovClintonTyree
09-25-2013, 04:06 AM
I suspect the game 1 pitcher might go in game 4 if it is an elimination game for us. Otherwise one of Maholm/Garcia will go in game 4, depending on which one does best in his last start and the other team's strengths and weaknesses against lefties/righties.

I don't like short rest. For anyone. There are a few examples of it working (Beckett comes to mind) but many, many more where a stud runs out of gas. We're better off with Maholm/Garcia. Actually, we're better off with Wood, but he's tired.

Carp
09-25-2013, 06:36 AM
We have Freddy Garcia starting in the playoffs. No problem at all. Obviously.

We have needed at least eight pitchers for a decade. A decade. It isn't crap. And Beachy wasn't available for the first half and was coming off a major surgery. Gilmartin crashed in spring training. Graham was not quite ready for the big leagues. And Wood wasn't even on the radar (We got lucky there, thankfully). I can't believe some of you are so desperate not to have been wrong that you completely ignore the mess the staff is in. We are lucky the season isn't a month longer.

Garcia is an option to start because Wood is needed more in the pen. Our starting pitching is still one of the strongest in the league top to bottom. So your argument doesn't hold much water.

It's hilarious how Wood wasn't even on the radar despite an very impressive ST. But somehow we were supposed to know in ST that Graham and Gilmartin would both get injured and pitch poorly even when they returned.

We had plenty of depth. I would argue we actually had more quality depth than any other Braves team of the last 7 yrs or more, sans the 2009.

thethe
09-25-2013, 07:20 AM
And if Huddy didn't have a freak injury then none of this would matter. The pitching depth was 100% fine. Maybe Wren should have considered something after Huddy got hurt but at the start of the season there was nothing wrong with it.

Tapate50
09-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Everyone just HOLD UP,

Garcia starting a playoff game? says who? When did this happen?

nsacpi
09-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Wren did take a bit of a chance in terms of not having better pitching depth in AAA.

Our AAA starting rotation at the start of the year included Gilmartin, Hale, Poveda, Daniel Rodriguez and Tom Corcoran.

Not the greatest group. But not awful either. Gilmartin and Hale were legitimate prospects ready for that level. Poveda was a good gamble, once highly regarded as a prospect but coming back from an arm injury. Rodriguez had done well in the Mexican League the year before and intrigued a lot of us going into the season. For the fifth spot Wren could have done better than Corcoran, who was never going to help us.

As for the AAA pen, at the start of the season it consisted of Buchter, Hughes, Flande, McCurry, Carpenter, Obispo, Rasmus, Russell.

I think this was a weaker group than the starters. Carpenter was a find. Obispo has a good arm and could potentially have been a good pitcher for us. Ditto Rasmus. The rest was flotsam and jetsam.

We had some good luck in the form of Wood's rapid development. But if that had not happened, I wonder how Hale and Poveda would have done. Those two had solid seasons in AAA.

zitothebrave
09-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Garcia is an option to start because Wood is needed more in the pen. Our starting pitching is still one of the strongest in the league top to bottom. So your argument doesn't hold much water.

It's hilarious how Wood wasn't even on the radar despite an very impressive ST. But somehow we were supposed to know in ST that Graham and Gilmartin would both get injured and pitch poorly even when they returned.

We had plenty of depth. I would argue we actually had more quality depth than any other Braves team of the last 7 yrs or more, sans the 2009.

Wood is not needed more in the pen. Would you move Medlen to the pen and replace him with Loe? He's more needed in the pen!!!!

Come the post season 7th inning men aren't as important as they are in the regular season. Sure it would be nice if we had the guys to put Wood in the pen and be happy, and honestly I'm almost 100% certain that Fredi is starting Garcia over Wood not because of the BP need, but because of veteran experience. Since only Medlen has post season experience and that was 1 game. And to me there's nothing dumber than giving someone a spot just because they pitched in the playoffs before.

Wood should be starting in the post season. Period. Even if Avilan and Walden are struggling now, you can't bet on them continuing to struggle. If Wood pitches every game of the post season, they all go to max games, he would throw 19 innings. Same scenario he'd make 4 starts. He easily could throw more innings for this team as a starter. And because of scheduling we could still use him as an occasional reliever. Wood should not be starting.

End rant.

That said we've sustained injuries and crap play from Graham, Gilmartin, Beachy, Hudson, Maholm, and more and if Fredi wasn't a twit we'd have a very strong though young playoff rotation.

thethe
09-25-2013, 08:22 AM
comparing Medlen to Wood is silly. Medlen is our game 1 starter. Wood would have been the 4th game starter. You could argue that a relief pitcher has just as much if not more impact on a playoff series as a #4 starter.

nsacpi
09-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Just to take a little bit more of a trip on the Back in Time Machine, I think the "incumbents" for the pen coming into spring training were: Kimbrel, Walden, EOF, Venters, Avilan, Gearrin and Martinez.

Venters started the year on the DL and missed the entire season. His spot in the pen was taken by Varvaro. So technically Varvaro can be viewed as part of the AAA depth even though he has been on the major league roster the whole season.

Ayala was acquired from Baltimore, replacing Martinez who went to the DL. Martinez eventually needed shoulder surgery and never returned.

EOF went down, and effectively was replaced by Carpenter, leaving us for a time with Avilan as the sole lefty.

There was also a period when Wood was in the pen. Not sure if this coincided with Walden's time on the DL. Ayala also had a long stretch on the DL.

Another event of note was Gearrin succumbing to a period of extremely high usage. He lost effectiveness and was sent down. But he never pitched in AAA due to tendinitis in his shoulder.

Finally, there was the deadline acquisition of Downs.

zitothebrave
09-25-2013, 09:29 AM
comparing Medlen to Wood is silly. Medlen is our game 1 starter. Wood would have been the 4th game starter. You could argue that a relief pitcher has just as much if not more impact on a playoff series as a #4 starter.

Sorry that's not the case. If Wood was closing, maybe. Or if he was the 8th man even. But he'll be a 7th/6th man. Odds are games that Minor and Medlen pitch he won't see action. I was obviously making an exaggerated statement with Medlen as I don't expect him to move to the pen but it's a similar thought process.

Diesel
09-25-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm with Zito, at least that it is very questionable as to whether we would be better served using Wood as a 4th starter or out of the pen. What is more valuable? To have him available every game in an effort to get the ball to Kimbrel or to pitch 6-7 innings in a possible elimination game?

NYCBrave
09-25-2013, 09:46 AM
If it means anything, Garcia started for the yankees in the playoffs last year and gave up 3 ER in 5 1/3 innings. He's made 10 career post season starts.

Julio3000
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
The ability to build a cheap, effective bullpen has been one of Wren's strengths (credit Roger McDowell, too). It's a shame that we may end up suffering from a lack of effective BP arms heading into the postseason. I'm sorry that we weren't able to find another good arm at the deadline, and that we weren't more proactive in bringing in someone to at least take the load off the arms of Avilan, Carpenter, etc.

nsacpi
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
I think the plan for the playoffs is to turn the game over to the pen early and to maximize the platoon advantage.

In any sort of close game we could see two pitchers used per inning--one lefty and one righty--to maximize that advantage. Avilan, Downs, Wood all used as LOOGYs. Ayala, Carpenter, and Varvaro all used as ROOGYs.

Dalyn
09-25-2013, 11:58 AM
What I think it will be (different than I would like):

Medlen
Minor
Teheran
Garcia

Kimbrel
Wood
Carpenter
Downs
Ayala
Maholm
Varvaro
Avilan/Walden (the one who makes it to the end of the season)

Heyward
Upton
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis
Simmons
EJ
P

Laird, BJ, Uggla, Schafer, Reed (if he is healthy--Janish, if he is not)

nsacpi
09-25-2013, 12:32 PM
What I think it will be (different than I would like):

Medlen
Minor
Teheran
Garcia

Kimbrel
Wood
Carpenter
Downs
Ayala
Maholm
Varvaro
Avilan/Walden (the one who makes it to the end of the season)

Heyward
Upton
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis
Simmons
EJ
P

Laird, BJ, Uggla, Schafer, Reed (if he is healthy--Janish, if he is not)

Mostly agree. My one disagreement is Maholm being preferred over one of the relievers. I think Maholm will not be on the active roster if everyone is healthy.

Enscheff
09-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I think the plan for the playoffs is to turn the game over to the pen early and to maximize the platoon advantage.

In any sort of close game we could see two pitchers used per inning--one lefty and one righty--to maximize that advantage. Avilan, Downs, Wood all used as LOOGYs. Ayala, Carpenter, and Varvaro all used as ROOGYs.

I think you are exactly right. We saw Fredi do this a bit last night when Wood was brought in just to face the LHers.

Another benefit to pulling the starter early is being able to pinch hit for the #9 slot an additional time if needed. Let's say Medlen is due up in the 5th or 6th with a couple guys on base. I would argue the Braves BP is good enough (and can match up well enough with all the LH arms) that Fredi could PH in that scenario and then mix and match the last 3/4 innings.

I'm pretty sure Garcia came up in the 5th or 6th last night with a couple guys on base. He was allowed to hit and then pitched only 1 more inning. I really hope that trade of 1 AB for 1 extra inning pitched doesn't happen in the playoffs. None of the starters are good enough to let them hit in a pivotal situation at the cost of a PHer getting an AB and turning it over to the BP.

cajunrevenge
09-25-2013, 01:44 PM
I think I would be fine with Garcia starting game 4, he has certainly pitched well so far but I would have a quick hook in that game. If he blows it in the 7th inning that will be all on Fredi. I like having Wood in the pen as the pen has been shaky lately.

Dalyn
09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Mostly agree. My one disagreement is Maholm being preferred over one of the relievers. I think Maholm will not be on the active roster if everyone is healthy.

He isn't really getting the spot over someone. I just think they will go with an extra man out there and don't think both Avilan and Walden will be ready. Maholm has also done really well vs first batters faced, so he could play a role in a big spot late vs one batter.

NYCBrave
09-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I asked this in the GameThread last night and didn't see a response so I'll bring it up again. Is it safe to assume we've seen the last of Walden this year? Since he returned from injury on September 12th, he's only made 3 appearances, and his last was over a week ago (Sep 17th). He's also given up 5 ER in those 3 games.

nsacpi
09-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I asked this in the GameThread last night and didn't see a response so I'll bring it up again. Is it safe to assume we've seen the last of Walden this year? Since he returned from injury on September 12th, he's only made 3 appearances, and his last was over a week ago (Sep 17th). He's also given up 5 ER in those 3 games.

He must have suffered a setback or else they would be attempting to get him back into form.

NYCBrave
09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
He must have suffered a setback or else they would be attempting to get him back into form.

That's just another blow to our already depleted bullpen.

bravesnumberone
09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Honestly, we're just going to need Carpenter to be what we thought Walden would be.

Also, at this point, I'm more worried about Minor giving up 2-3 home runs in the first three or four innings than I am who starts game 4. Especially with the way our offense is lagging.

Carp
09-27-2013, 03:51 AM
Wood is not needed more in the pen. Would you move Medlen to the pen and replace him with Loe? He's more needed in the pen!!!!

Come the post season 7th inning men aren't as important as they are in the regular season. Sure it would be nice if we had the guys to put Wood in the pen and be happy, and honestly I'm almost 100% certain that Fredi is starting Garcia over Wood not because of the BP need, but because of veteran experience. Since only Medlen has post season experience and that was 1 game. And to me there's nothing dumber than giving someone a spot just because they pitched in the playoffs before.

Wood should be starting in the post season. Period. Even if Avilan and Walden are struggling now, you can't bet on them continuing to struggle. If Wood pitches every game of the post season, they all go to max games, he would throw 19 innings. Same scenario he'd make 4 starts. He easily could throw more innings for this team as a starter. And because of scheduling we could still use him as an occasional reliever. Wood should not be starting.

End rant.

That said we've sustained injuries and crap play from Graham, Gilmartin, Beachy, Hudson, Maholm, and more and if Fredi wasn't a twit we'd have a very strong though young playoff rotation.

Wood is 4th is pecking order for starters. Meds is arguably our best pitcher right now. So that's a big comparison fail.

Still the point is we are having issues with our reliable LH relievers being not so reliable. So in that sense, Wood is needed more in the pen. Though certainly either/or is fine with me. I would not hesitate to use him in any of the first games if needed

thethe
09-27-2013, 07:24 AM
If Walden can't go it just makes Wood's move to the pen all the more important. Its a shame that even with all the injuries this team has suffered through this season that we are still getting new issues at the end of the year.