PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Tried to Trade for Justin Upton

MadduxFanII
09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Some interesting reporting from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/rangers/2013/09/22/nelson-cruz-practices-rangers-stumble/2852859/)...um, today. The Rangers, desperate for offense at the trading deadline, called us about Justin Upton:

The Rangers, trying to solve that power void, tried to pull off a blockbuster deal for Atlanta Braves outfielder Justin Upton before the July 31 trade deadline. The Rangers offered starter Matt Garza, All-Star closer Joe Nathan and outfielder David Murphy, but they were rejected, two high-ranking club officials told USA TODAY Sports.

Not exactly stunned we turned that down.

ramadon101
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
That's a horrible trade. Two pending FAs to be for a cost controlled, young player with MVP upside?

Can't fault Daniels for trying, though. I just think it's an asinine offer.

MadduxFanII
09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
That's a horrible trade. Two pending FAs to be for a cost controlled, young player with MVP upside?

Much like Poland, David Murphy is constantly forgotten.

50PoundHead
09-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Can't fault Daniels for trying, though. I just think it's an asinine offer.

Nathan has come all the way back, but he'd have been clearly redundant for us (unless flipped). I've never liked Garza. Million dollar arm/10 cent brain. Murphy's had an Uggla-esque season (but I've always thought him to be a decent player).

I think Justin is a tease, but this deal wouldn't have made much sense for us.

CrimsonCowboy
09-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Obviously, Daniels was trying to.......................well....I'm not sure

bravebonebook
09-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Wait for it, though! There will probably be at least 3 guys who'll come on here and say that would have been a good trade...:mad0182:

MadduxFanII
09-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Obviously, Daniels was trying to.......................well....I'm not sure

He was trying to screw us. And, you know, that's fine. "Win-win" trades are the ideal, but there's nothing wrong with giving an effin'-A trade the ol' college try. Fortunately, Dayton Moore doesn't work here any longer.

bravesnumberone
09-23-2013, 12:07 PM
They couldn't have at least offered to take Uggla too?

cajunrevenge
09-23-2013, 02:00 PM
If they try again in the offseason Justin/BJ/Uggla for Kinsler/Rios/Sardinas. Rios and Kinsler are both bad contracts. Rios makes the same as Uggla but ends after 2014 with an option for 2015. Kinsler's contract is a virtual wash with Upton except it is frontloaded instead of backloaded. Kinsler/Rios are both very over paid but far more useful than BJ/Uggla. Sardinas is a good SS prospect that will be in AA next year. This saves the Braves 13 million in 2014. 26 million in 2015(14 million if Rios option picked up). 2 million in 2016 and 6 million in 2017. This only works if the Rangers think BJ can/will rebound from this season. Maybe being back in the AL and in a good hitters park will get him back to his career norm. The Braves use the money to re-sign McCann and Heyward plays center, Gattis left and Rios holds down RF for 2014 and possibly 2015 if he has a good year.

ramadon101
09-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Much like Poland, David Murphy is constantly forgotten.

Not forgotten, just marginal enough to not make zero difference whatsoever to the overall package.

Dunit24
09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Not sure why everyone wants to trade Justin. I think him, Freeman, Heyward and Simmons should be locked up long term. Now I can understand if we can rip someone off for him, but I think we need to get pretty comfortable with having the Uptons in the OF.

Braves1976
09-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd tell them you can have both Upton's and Uggla for Rios and some solid prospects, and probably another contract they want gone too. We'd lose Justin but gain trading BJ and Uggla. Then we re-sign Mac and go with Heyward, Rios and Gattis etc in outfield next year. We also improve at second defensively and offensively by removing Uggla.

Braves1976
09-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Not sure why everyone wants to trade Justin. I think him, Freeman, Heyward and Simmons should be locked up long term. Now I can understand if we can rip someone off for him, but I think we need to get pretty comfortable with having the Uptons in the OF.

I don't really want to trade Justin, but I would if it meant getting rid of other bad contracts. Plus I doubt he'd want to stay so much if we traded his brother. So I figure if we trade one trade both.

thethe
09-23-2013, 08:55 PM
I also wouldn't actively trade Justin but aside from Freeman/Heyward/Tehearn/Simmons, everyone is available for a price.

weso1
09-23-2013, 09:08 PM
I bet Wren said.. how bout we do that trade but instead of Upton you get Uggla.

Pugfan
09-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Those are the kind of trade offers you get in fantasy baseball not from some GM. That's so laughable Wren could tell his great grandchildren about in 30 years.

wheresmykayak
09-24-2013, 01:21 AM
I guess they figured "Hey, we fooled the Braves before, maybe they'll be suckers again!"

Good thing Schuerholtz isn't at the helm anymore, or else we might be having a different conversation. It wouldn't look so bad if they'd have at least offered Profar. I mean, we'd still say no, but geez.

50PoundHead
09-24-2013, 10:32 AM
I wonder if Daniels will be on the hot seat if the Rangers don't make the playoffs. Healthy payroll with solid ownership support, but the team has fallen apart. If it were a Vegas act, the offense would be "Adrian Beltre and the Underperformers." Pitching has been pretty solid.

stpeteirish
09-24-2013, 02:51 PM
yes, Texas should be a playoff team and they need to do some serious soul searching if they aren't.

mossy
09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Why would WE trade J-Up? He validates BJ's sole existance on this planet where the Braves are concerned. And why would we do that this year?

Bit of a head scratcher that.