PDA

View Full Version : Braves Trade Deadline Rumors

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Dunit24
07-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Simmons(we know Fredi isnt moving him out of this spot)
Heyward
JUpton
Freeman
McCann
Uggla
BUpton
Johnson

Schafer, Laird, Valbeuna, Gattis, Terdoslavich

Hudson
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Medlen

Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Wood, Russell, Varvaro, Carpenter

Is this team good enough to win a World Series?? If not, ask yourself, what else would we need...thats what Wren needs to determine.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Simmons(we know Fredi isnt moving him out of this spot)
Heyward
JUpton
Freeman
McCann
Uggla
BUpton
Johnson

Schafer, Laird, Valbeuna, Gattis, Terdoslavich

Hudson
Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Medlen

Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Wood, Russell, Varvaro, Carpenter

Is this team good enough to win a World Series?? If not, ask yourself, what else would we need...thats what Wren needs to determine.

I'd say it has about a 10% chance. And anything that Wren could conceivably do might push the odds up to around 12%. What do you think?

Dunit24
07-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I'd say it has about a 10% chance. And anything that Wren could conceivably do might push the odds up to around 12%. What do you think?

Not a good chance at all to be honest. I think we need to make a splash. Get an ace or another big bat. Something to kind of shake up the roster a bit. Guys have gotten too comfy.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Not a good chance at all to be honest. I think we need to make a splash. Get an ace or another big bat. Something to kind of shake up the roster a bit. Guys have gotten too comfy.

Thing is no team has a better than 15% chance. I'm just point out that winning in the post-season is mainly a matter of luck (see Giants last season for a recent example). General managers at this point can make moves that affect things at the margin. We need to be realistic about that.

I think a lefty for the pen is probably the one move we should make this this trade deadline. The cost will not be too high and the need is obvious. But it will not dramatically change the odds of our winning the world series. Those will go up from about 10% to about 10.5% if we get a good lefty.

Tapate50
07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers are not pursuing Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.
The Dodgers have been considered one of the favorites to sign Gonzalez, with one general manager recently telling Peter Gammons of MLB.com that the club could be willing to go to five years and $50 million, but it appears that they have backed out of the running. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins are among the other teams who have reportedly shown interest in the 26-year-old right-hander. It's believed that he could sign somewhere as soon as this week.

JCarbo76
07-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Thing is no team has a better than 15% chance. I'm just point out that winning in the post-season is mainly a matter of luck (see Giants last season for a recent example). General managers at this point can make moves that affect things at the margin. We need to be realistic about that.

I think a lefty for the pen is probably the one move we should make this this trade deadline. The cost will not be too high and the need is obvious. But it will not dramatically change the odds of our winning the world series. Those will go up from about 10% to about 10.5% if we get a good lefty.

Yep, that's the thing that everyone misses (and in my humble opinion has missed for the last 20 years). If you have 8 relatively equal teams in the playoffs (ignoring the silly one game wild card game) the chances of any one team winning is 12.5%.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Yep, that's the thing that everyone misses (and in my humble opinion has missed for the last 20 years). If you have 8 relatively equal teams in the playoffs (ignoring the silly one game wild card game) the chances of any one team winning is 12.5%.

The interesting thing about the current team is that one or two of our power hitters could get hot and carry us through a playoff series or two. People like to complain about this team's inconsistency. But I don't see that as a problem. Inconsistent teams can win the WS if they get on a hot streak at the right time.

Dunit24
07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
I understand the odds. Thats pretty much common sense. My point is we would have a better shot at winning it with a better team. Think about the 90s if we got a closer. Odds were equal then, but no one is doubting that we win it all if we had a Kimbrel type closer back in the day.

Even if we get Russell and Valbeuna, I hope Wren isnt satisfied, and was wondering what areas of the ball club you guys would think we would still need to improve. Should we sell high on Johnson or just figure his .330 average is legit?

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 09:44 AM
no one is doubting that we win it all if we had a Kimbrel type closer back in the day.

After the fact it is easy to say having this player or that player would have made a difference. But ex ante, having Kimbrel rather than some of those other closers would have only increased our chances of winning the WS by 1 or 2 percentage points.

Dunit24
07-23-2013, 09:55 AM
After the fact it is easy to say having this player or that player would have made a difference. But ex ante, having Kimbrel rather than some of those other closers would have only increased our chances of winning the WS by 1 or 2 percentage points.

I disagree respectively. If JS had traded for a Kimbrel type closer, we have more than 1 title. Period. I agree that its easy to look back and say oh if we had this, we would have won, but to my point - You look at our roster. What can we possibly do to prevent saying "oh if we had done this, etc.." in the offseason? Dont ever be satisfied. I feel like Wren and Fredi are satisfied, and I feel like its going to bite us in the butt. Weaknesses are there. Address them. Throw odds all day long but look at a team like Pittsburgh. Ok they have the same odds no matter what they do and if they add an impact player or two, sure they odds just go up percentage points, but id much rather face Pittsburgh with the team they have right now rather than if they trade for a good SS and a good OF.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I disagree respectively. If JS had traded for a Kimbrel type closer, we have more than 1 title. Period. I agree that its easy to look back and say oh if we had this, we would have won, but to my point - You look at our roster. What can we possibly do to prevent saying "oh if we had done this, etc.." in the offseason? Dont ever be satisfied. I feel like Wren and Fredi are satisfied, and I feel like its going to bite us in the butt. Weaknesses are there. Address them. Throw odds all day long but look at a team like Pittsburgh. Ok they have the same odds no matter what they do and if they add an impact player or two, sure they odds just go up percentage points, but id much rather face Pittsburgh with the team they have right now rather than if they trade for a good SS and a good OF.

To me the one weakness that can be addressed at a reasonable cost is a second lefty in the pen. There may be some other deals, but it all depends on what we have to send back in return. I'd love David Price, but I don't think it is realistic given Tampa is a contender and the price would be prohibitive. Headley would be nice, but I think again it depends on what we have to ship back in return. None of those trades would make us the favorites to win the WS. It would move the needle a percentage point or two, but that's all.

Dunit24
07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Well if it gives us a better shot to win it, im all for it. Just hope the organization isnt satisfied. Getting a second lefty and a bench player is a good start. Getting a third lefty would be even better. We have pieces to do it.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Wren and Fredi want to win more than anyone else. The notion that they are "satisfied" whereas those of us who are fans want to win more badly is just absurd. That's not the difference at all. The difference is they live in reality. A world in which there is a limit on how much they spend. A world in which other GMs are trying to extract as much as possible for the guys they make available at the trade deadline. A world in which player performance is uncertain and where you want to be careful not to overpay for rental who at the end of the day will only improve the chances of winning the WS by a small amount.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
We should be looking to do 2 things at the deadline.

First we should certainly consider and upgrade at 3B. Johnson has been more than fine, he's been our 6th best position player when defense is factored in but I don't want to pay him the 8 million or so he'll likely get in arbitration next year so looking to upgrade now isn't a bad idea. If we can get Headley for a respectable package we should. While he may not outhit Johnson, he'll way out field Johnson. And moving him from the meh offense of San Diego to the Braves offense and from Petco to Turner may just spark a hot streak from him. Not ot mention he's coming back from his injury so who knows.

Second we should make a move for a reliever. Either a dominant one like Jesse Crain or a lefty like Dunn. We need one reliever at least to help with our 6/7 inning work.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 10:22 AM
We should be looking to do 2 things at the deadline.

First we should certainly consider and upgrade at 3B. Johnson has been more than fine, he's been our 6th best position player when defense is factored in but I don't want to pay him the 8 million or so he'll likely get in arbitration next year so looking to upgrade now isn't a bad idea. If we can get Headley for a respectable package we should. While he may not outhit Johnson, he'll way out field Johnson. And moving him from the meh offense of San Diego to the Braves offense and from Petco to Turner may just spark a hot streak from him. Not ot mention he's coming back from his injury so who knows.

Second we should make a move for a reliever. Either a dominant one like Jesse Crain or a lefty like Dunn. We need one reliever at least to help with our 6/7 inning work.

What is the difference in expected wins with Headley at third rather than Johnson, and what would you be willing to give up for that?

Five
07-23-2013, 10:25 AM
The interesting thing about the current team is that one or two of our power hitters could get hot and carry us through a playoff series or two. People like to complain about this team's inconsistency. But I don't see that as a problem. Inconsistent teams can win the WS if they get on a hot streak at the right time.

Nail on the head right here. My hope is, get lefty bullpen help and hope the hot streak we had in the beginning of the year, happens at the end and goes right through the playoffs.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
What is the difference in expected wins with Headley at third rather than Johnson, and what would you be willing to give up for that?

This year Johnson has like a full WAR lower than Headley. And when healthy Headley has proven to be much much better (high of 7.2 fWAR)

As far as what I'd be willing to give up, I'd give up 1 premium prospect, 1 mid tier and a few throw ins. So like Wood, Cunningham, and a few others, or a lesser top prospect and go Graham, Betancourt, and a few others. I wouldn't go bonkers but I"d certainly more than kick the tires.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 10:34 AM
This year Johnson has like a full WAR lower than Headley. And when healthy Headley has proven to be much much better (high of 7.2 fWAR)

As far as what I'd be willing to give up, I'd give up 1 premium prospect, 1 mid tier and a few throw ins. So like Wood, Cunningham, and a few others, or a lesser top prospect and go Graham, Betancourt, and a few others. I wouldn't go bonkers but I"d certainly more than kick the tires.

What's your expectation regarding the difference in WAR between the two.

Tapate50
07-23-2013, 10:35 AM

You should be fired on the spot. GOOD DAY SIR

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
What's your expectation regarding the difference in WAR between the two.

Rest of the way? Or over the next year and 2 months? First one probably around 1 WAR second one probably around like 6 WAR barring injury to Headley.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 10:38 AM
BTW just cause I'm thinking about it our lineup would be awesome

CF - Heyward
RF - Justin
1B - Freddie
3B - Headley
C - Mac
LF - Gattis
2B - Uggla
SS - Simmons

Bench
OF - BJ
OF - Schafer
SS/2B - Pastor
3B/1B - Johnson
C - Laird

That team would be sick.

thethe
07-23-2013, 10:47 AM
WTF? Trade Alex Wood to upgrade a position that has been a plus this year? Wow.

Tapate50
07-23-2013, 10:59 AM

MIND ASPLODED

-ZITO'd

BRule
07-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Healthy Headley > Wood

jpx7
07-23-2013, 11:18 AM

Not that I'm necessarily in favor of such a deal involving Alex Wood, but it's hardly the insane proposition you and (especially) tapate make it out to be.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Healthy Headley > Wood

Value(Healthy Headley) < Value(Wood)

Where the value function is expected WAR per dollar of salary over the period of contractual control. Don't think it is even close. Those pre-arb years are pure gold. Don't underestimate.

BRule
07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Value(Healthy Headley) < Value(Wood)

Where the value function is expected WAR per dollar of salary over the period of contractual control. Don't think it is even close. Those pre-arb years are pure gold. Don't underestimate.

Depends how good you think Wood is going to be, he could also fail in the Roto and move to the pen full time. Headley, along with Wright is going to be a top 2-3 3B in the NL for the next 6-8 years. Also, Headley has way more value around the league than Wood does and that's with Headley at his lowest.

thethe
07-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Healthy Headley > Wood

Headley has had one good season in his career. I don't get the fascination. with him. Alex Wood has ace stuff. So sent mean he'll be an ace but I don't want to trade him.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Depends how good you think Wood is going to be, he could also fail in the Roto and move to the pen full time. Headley, along with Wright is going to be a top 2-3 3B in the NL for the next 6-8 years. Also, Headley has way more value around the league than Wood does and that's with Headley at his lowest.

Depends on how good both players are expected to be. It is true there is more uncertainty about pitchers and about young players. But there is uncertainty about established veterans like Headley.

BRule
07-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Headley has had one good season in his career. I don't get the fascination. with him. Alex Wood has ace stuff. So sent mean he'll be an ace but I don't want to trade him.

Well....in 2011 he had a wRC+ of 121 with a 340 wOBA and 2012 he posts a wRC+ 145 with a wOBA of 378 and a 7.2 WAR.

I would say he's coming of 1 pretty good year and 1 great year where he showed signs of what his potential is, plus he has been insane in the field this year. I think there's plenty to be fascinated with, which is why the Padres have been getting calls on him for the last year and a half with teams offering their top prospects for him.

Enscheff
07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Give me a break with the Wood for Headley nonsense. I'm not very high on Wood, but even I wouldn't trade him for 14 months of Chase "flash in the pan" Headley.

This team has just as much a chance to win the WS as any team in the game right now.

JUp seems to play better when he is sufficiently motivated, so I fully expect him to go full Beltran in the playoffs this year. We have seen this offense get incredibly hot for stretches this season, and if one of those hot stretches occurs in October they will be unstoppable. If they come out in full suckmode like last night vs Gee...they will go home.

Every pitcher in the rotation (even Maholm) has the ability to completely shut the other team down on any given night. Firing Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan and possibly Medlen or Wood out of the BP is as good as any BP can be without a healthy Venters and EOF. If Wren can get one more quality BP arm, prefereably LHed, all the better.

This team certainly has the firepower to win it all. Whether or not they step up and actually do it is anyone's guess.

BRule
07-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Lol at "flash in the pan"

Headley was a highly thought of prospect (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/9/25/3407706/prospect-retrospective-chase-headley-3b-san-diego-padres)

Sickles had him rated as a B+ prospect, meaning he thought he had a chance to be a star.

jpx7
07-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Even if one doesn't think he's worth Alex Wood, Headley is hardly a flash-in-the-pan. I also find sort of humorous this rush to totally denigrate one player just because some don't think said player is worth a second given player.

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Even if one doesn't think he's worth Alex Wood, Headley is hardly a flash-in-the-pan. I also find sort of humorous this rush to totally denigrate one player just because some don't think said player is worth a second given player.

Yeah. Headley is a very good player. He had one really outstanding season (2012), but has been solid in some other years too. I would not project a player's future performance based on his career best season, unless it is a fairly young player. Headley is 29. I would project his future performance based on his second or third best seasons.

emk418
07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Give me a break with the Wood for Headley nonsense. I'm not very high on Wood, but even I wouldn't trade him for 14 months of Chase "flash in the pan" Headley.

This team has just as much a chance to win the WS as any team in the game right now.

JUp seems to play better when he is sufficiently motivated, so I fully expect him to go full Beltran in the playoffs this year. We have seen this offense get incredibly hot for stretches this season, and if one of those hot stretches occurs in October they will be unstoppable. If they come out in full suckmode like last night vs Gee...they will go home.

Every pitcher in the rotation (even Maholm) has the ability to completely shut the other team down on any given night. Firing Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan and possibly Medlen or Wood out of the BP is as good as any BP can be without a healthy Venters and EOF. If Wren can get one more quality BP arm, prefereably LHed, all the better.

This team certainly has the firepower to win it all. Whether or not they step up and actually do it is anyone's guess.

This offense hasn't been incredibly hot since the first week of the season.

weso1
07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Got this from DOB's twitter:

@EricSoda I heard this weekend that #Braves wanted Crain, but that might be out for a while. If he's close to ready, it could happen.

This is the tweet that DOB was responding too from Eric Soda (I have no clue who Eric Soda is):

@ajcbraves Heard that Jesse Crain to #Braves is a done deal if he is healthy. That was echoed on Chciago radio this morning by Phil Rogers.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Rather have an MVP level 3B than a good one, call me crazy. Headley when healthy is a 4+ WAR player. Johnson's best full season was last year with 1.4. Even with a full year this year he'd be under 3. Not bad, but not a plus I'd say either. As stated above, Johnson is our 6th best everyday starter, barely ahead of Uggla.

BRule
07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Got this from DOB's twitter:

@EricSoda I heard this weekend that #Braves wanted Crain, but that might be out for a while. If he's close to ready, it could happen.

This is the tweet that DOB was responding too from Eric Soda (I have no clue who Eric Soda is):

@ajcbraves Heard that Jesse Crain to #Braves is a done deal if he is healthy. That was echoed on Chciago radio this morning by Phil Rogers.

Not sure why we would trade a prospect/s for a pitcher coming off a shoulder injury, would much rather just sign Brian Wilson and just risk money and not prospects + money.

PawPawMaxwell
07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Assuming that the Braves could get Headley for Wood (or anyone else) then what would you expect in return for Johnson?

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Assuming that the Braves could get Headley for Wood (or anyone else) then what would you expect in return for Johnson?

I'd keep him around this year to be a hitter off the bench. But he should net us a nice prospect. Maybe similar value to a 7-10 on a good team's top 10.

emk418
07-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Won't help us this year but I really hope we add Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. But we never spend on guys like that.

Heyward
07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Saw Crain to Atl a done deal if he's healthy. On a Chi article.

Guess we will see.

Heyward
07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Hell no on Headley unless we got a window to sign him.

Awful move for a position that has been solid.

Bullpen is a bigger need.

Heyward
07-23-2013, 01:32 PM

We arent getting Headley nor do we need him.

3B has been steady, cant have an AS at every spot.

Enscheff
07-23-2013, 01:33 PM
All of you clamoring for Wren to make a Wood for Headley deal may no longer complain about JS making the Wainwright for Drew deal.

Headley for a package centering around Medlen, sure. If that's not enough then SD can keep their mediocre-to-good guy at 3B and continue to be terrible.

PawPawMaxwell
07-23-2013, 01:39 PM

That ignores the question and assumption. I dont want nor think we need Headley but Zito in his enthusiastic trade scenariios keeps wanting Headley in spite of Johnsons very good year. So what would anyone other than you, want in return for Johnson. Its just a question.

BRule
07-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Considering we only had 2 All stars (position player wise) and 1 was a fan vote and didn't play and 1 was an injury replacement, I would say your response makes little sense.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
All of you clamoring for Wren to make a Wood for Headley deal may no longer complain about JS making the Wainwright for Drew deal.

Headley for a package centering around Medlen, sure. If that's not enough then SD can keep their mediocre-to-good guy at 3B and continue to be terrible.

I didn't really complain about Wainwright for Drew. Pitchign prospects are probably more likely to bust than not. And Headley we'd have a decent shot of keeping. Only bummer about getting Headley is it would make decisions for next year tougher financially.

jpx7
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
All of you clamoring for Wren to make a Wood for Headley deal

I see no such clamoring.

Braves1976
07-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I like Headley a lot, but I'm against trading Wood for him. I'll do a package around Medlen, including Gilmartin, among others. But I'm not trading Wood because I'm very high on him. Same as I was against trading Minor for Beltran in the past, etc. While Headley isn't simply a rental, he's still not far enough off to be trading Wood.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 01:44 PM
I like Headley a lot, but I'm against trading Wood for him. I'll do a package around Medlen, including Gilmartin, among others. But I'm not trading Wood because I'm very high on him. Same as I was against trading Minor for Beltran, etc. While Headley isn't simply a rental, he's still not far enough off to be trading Wood.

"I like this player, but I wouldn't give the team who has him anything they'd really value"

Medlen for a 3B trade we woudl have had a shot at would have been for Olt who would have been a long term replacement not a short term replacement. No team will offer us a quality player like Headley and be in the playoff mix to want Medlen who's only under team control for 2 years and 2 months. Now if we could send Medlen to a team for prospects then those prospects and our prospects for Headley that's one thing, but why would SD want Medlen?

JCarbo76
07-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Considering we only had 2 All stars and 1 was a fan vote and 1 was an injury replacement, I would say your response makes little sense.

Likewise, what all-star team has Headley ever been on?

BRule
07-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Likewise, what all-star team has Headley ever been on?

The same number as Wood

JCarbo76
07-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Likewise the Teixeira trade from Texas, which was a MUCH, MUCH bigger upgrade form the existing 1B situation than Headley for Johnson would ever be considered.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Likewise the Teixeira trade from Texas, which was a MUCH, MUCH bigger upgrade form the existing 1B situation than Headley for Johnson would ever be considered.

If we trade 2 prospects worth a damn, it's hardly the same as trading 3 5 star prospects and a 3/4 star prospect/

BRule
07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Red Sox and Cardinals "appear to be emerging" as two of the potential players to land White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy in a trade.

If STL gets Peavy and he's healthy....Wain, Miller, Peavy, Lynn, Westbrook with their O, damn....

Bdawg2309
07-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Fredi is doing a chat session
@mlbbowman tweeted the link
It's at 4:15 et.
Better flood that chat with "why is Simmons still hitting leadoff" questions

nsacpi
07-23-2013, 01:57 PM
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Red Sox and Cardinals "appear to be emerging" as two of the potential players to land White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy in a trade.

If STL gets Peavy and he's healthy....Wain, Miller, Peavy, Lynn, Westbrook with their O, damn....

Yeah. That's probably the best team in baseball. Even without Peavy. And their farm system ain't too shabby.

zitothebrave
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM

I'm gonna ask why is our worst hitter our leadoff hitter and getting the most PA.

Bye Week
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I would love to add Crain as I think he is the best option out there for the BP as long as he is healthy. I don't care if he is RH or LH, just get people out. That would remove Varvaro from any high pressure spots as well.

drewdat
07-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah. That's probably the best team in baseball. Even without Peavy. And their farm system ain't too shabby.

Their RISP numbers are insane. Gotta come back to earth eventually, right?

Dunit24
07-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Wren and Fredi want to win more than anyone else. The notion that they are "satisfied" whereas those of us who are fans want to win more badly is just absurd. That's not the difference at all. The difference is they live in reality. A world in which there is a limit on how much they spend. A world in which other GMs are trying to extract as much as possible for the guys they make available at the trade deadline. A world in which player performance is uncertain and where you want to be careful not to overpay for rental who at the end of the day will only improve the chances of winning the WS by a small amount.

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt we save 5 million atleast before the season starts? I remember when Wren had a quote earlier talking about how saving 5 million going into the season turns into 10(or could have been 15) million at the trade deadline. So money shouldnt be the excuse. We have guys we could trade(Medlen, Bethancourt, etc..) that we could use to improve the team. Realistically, we should have no problem improving this ballclub at the trade deadline.

I do see what you are saying though. This isnt a video game.

BlackwaterPark
07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
I would take Wilson in a heart beat if he is healthy

Heyward
07-23-2013, 03:21 PM
The same number as Wood

Unless Headley signs an extension its stupid to do.

For 1 1/2 years of Headley.

BRule
07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Unless Headley signs an extension its stupid to do.

For 1 1/2 years of Headley.

Obviously the idea is to extend him for any team that trades for him

emk418
07-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I would love to add Crain as I think he is the best option out there for the BP as long as he is healthy. I don't care if he is RH or LH, just get people out. That would remove Varvaro from any high pressure spots as well.

A healthy Jesse Crain is the best option for us. I guess we'll leave it up to the braves to decide if he's healthy.

Julio3000
07-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers are not pursuing Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.
The Dodgers have been considered one of the favorites to sign Gonzalez, with one general manager recently telling Peter Gammons of MLB.com that the club could be willing to go to five years and $50 million, but it appears that they have backed out of the running. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins are among the other teams who have reportedly shown interest in the 26-year-old right-hander. It's believed that he could sign somewhere as soon as this week.

Are we also in on Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez?

Julio3000
07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Fredi—

Who would be a better leadoff hitter: one Andrelton Simmons-sized duck or 100 duck-sized Andrelton Simmonses?

Enscheff
07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I didn't really complain about Wainwright for Drew. Pitchign prospects are probably more likely to bust than not. And Headley we'd have a decent shot of keeping. Only bummer about getting Headley is it would make decisions for next year tougher financially.

Which is precisely why Wren needs to hold onto all the potential stud pitchers he can get his hands on.

Everyone was all over Medlen's jock last year, called me a fool for stating he should be traded last offseason at max value, and now look how predictably mediocre he has become. Beachy is a stud, but went down for a year with TJ. Minor and/or Teheran are likely to be lost for a year due to TJ any minute now. Wren needs to hold onto guys like Wood, and resign guys like Hudson to make sure the rotation doesn't have terrible pitchers making any starts.

If you can trade for a guy like Uggla (let's face it, he was legit when the trade was made) or JUpton by essentially giving up spare parts, you do it. But you don't give up potential legit rotation fixtures for 14 months of players like Headley.

Tapate50
07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Are we also in on Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez?

Lost me pads.

jpx7
07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Everyone was all over Medlen's jock last year, called me a fool for stating he should be traded last offseason at max value, and now look how predictably mediocre he has become.

He hasn't pitched to the amazing level of last season, but he hasn't been "predictably mediocre" either.

Enscheff
07-23-2013, 03:54 PM
He hasn't pitched to the amazing level of last season, but he hasn't been "predictably mediocre" either.

Really? The man is 6-9 with a 3.62 ERA, a 106 ERA+, and 0.5 WAR. His next start is pushed back a few days, and there is talk of him moving to the BP.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of mediocre?

jpx7
07-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Really? The man is 6-9 with a 3.62 ERA, a 106 ERA+, and 0.5 WAR.

Not mine?

His next start is pushed back a few days, and there is talk of him moving to the BP.

And that's a move with which I'd disagree.

The Chosen One
07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Mediocre? That's andy ashby, kevin appier, sterling Hitchcock, territory.

Not sure if I'm ready to place Medlen in that category yet.

Bdawg2309
07-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Their RISP numbers are insane. Gotta come back to earth eventually, right?

even if it drops .050 points, it still would be high

Julio3000
07-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Ha...Andy Ashby. The quintessence of mediocrity. Even his name sounds average. Andy Average Ashby.

stpeteirish
07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
maybe "average" is a more apt word to describe Medlen's performance this year. I keep thinking he's gonna find what he had last year but, realistically, he is what he is. This years number's look a lot like 09 and 10, and that's good enough to keep your job but not TOR stuff.

Bdawg2309
07-23-2013, 04:31 PM
wooops, just realized that chat said it was tomorrow.

jpx7
07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Ha...Andy Ashby. The quintessence of mediocrity. Even his name sounds average. Andy Average Ashby.

Well, I'd say at the very least his name has an above-average number of the letter y.

tvsportscaster
07-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Saw Crain to Atl a done deal if he's healthy. On a Chi article.

Guess we will see.

Here is the link to that article.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/23/rogers-crain-to-braves-a-done-deal-if-he-gets-healthy/

drewdat
07-23-2013, 06:01 PM
even if it drops .050 points, it still would be high

Half-listening, so could be inaccurate, but I think they're at least .080 above second place, and the gap from 1st to 2nd is bigger than one from 2nd to 15th (or 30th, not sure if NL or MLB).

bravesnumberone
07-23-2013, 06:08 PM
That'd be a great move, but I'd be reluctant to give up too much.

Here is the link to that article.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/23/rogers-crain-to-braves-a-done-deal-if-he-gets-healthy/

drewdat
07-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Mediocre? That's andy ashby, kevin appier, sterling Hitchcock, territory.

Not sure if I'm ready to place Medlen in that category yet.

Appier was a fine starter for a quite a while. 140 ERA+ over his first 8 full seasons (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/appieke01.shtml#1990-1997-sum:pitching_standard). The cutoff was 1998, when he had to have surgery for a torn labrum. Then he was precisely league average from (partial) 1998-retirement (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/appieke01.shtml#1998-2004-sum:pitching_standard).

Julio3000
07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
That'd be a great move, but I'd be reluctant to give up too much.

Could be a great move or Octavio Dotel 2.0.

drewdat
07-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Half-listening, so could be inaccurate, but I think they're at least .080 above second place, and the gap from 1st to 2nd is bigger than one from 2nd to 15th (or 30th, not sure if NL or MLB).

Eh, .76 over 2nd place Colorado (http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/39/league/nl/sort/avg/order/true) (.338 to .262), who is .040 above last place (!) Pittsburgh, hitting .222 and yet in strong contention. There are several AL teams ahead of Colorado, though again none close to St. Luckiest.

tvsportscaster
07-23-2013, 06:44 PM
More lefty reliever rumors

Jon Morosi‏@jonmorosi41m
#Braves are interested in #Padres LHP Joe Thatcher, sources say. @FOXSports1

bravesnumberone
07-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Looks like Thatcher is having a solid year.

skidlee
07-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Would like both thatcher and crain.

the look for someone to replace pena and we would be about as set as we can be

emk418
07-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Thatcher would be a solid 2nd LH.

skidlee
07-24-2013, 08:03 PM
NEW YORK -- The Braves have the biggest division lead of any first-place team, but the Braves also have issues. Over the last six weeks or so, they've lost more games than they've won.

The problem, as anyone can see and as the Braves themselves fully admit, is that their offense has been wildly inconsistent.

So what are they looking for on the trade market? Pitching.

The Braves figure that the offense must heal itself, and they believe it can. They also figure that their bullpen needs a boost, despite a 2.63 ERA that is actually the best in baseball.

The main focus has been on finding a left-handed reliever, not surprising given that Jonny Venters and Eric O'Flaherty were both lost for the season with injuries. But the Braves have also looked at right-handed bullpen help, and even at starting pitchers.

The Braves have watched both Chicago teams, and also the Brewers. Brewers lefty Mike Gonzalez would make sense for them, as would Jeff Russell of the Cubs. Marlins left-hander Mike Dunn has also been mentioned by some teams, but the Braves have been told he won't be traded.

Braves people suggest it's unlikely but not totally impossible that they would deal for a starter, with the idea of putting Kris Medlen and/or Brandon Beachy (who made another minor-league rehab start Wednesday night) in the bullpen. But it appears that they don't match up with the Astros on Bud Norris.

The Braves have stayed in first place, and even added to their lead, because the Nationals and Phillies have been even worse. But the Braves have two series each against the Phillies and Nationals in early August.

They know they need to get better. They know they need to hit more consistently, and they especially know that April star Justin Upton needs to get going again. Justin has a .668 OPS and just four home runs since May 1 (his brother B.J., having a horrible year and now injured, actually has more home runs over the last 2 1/2 months).

And yes, they're looking for pitching.

bravesnumberone
07-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Only makes sense to deal for a starter if we are getting a legitimate ace.

skidlee
07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Maybe the whole starter thing was when Beachy had his setback and the rotation wasn't really doing well. I agree that unless you get a TOR starter I don't see adding a guy like Bud Noris as an improvement over what we have.

ChapelHillMatt
07-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Trading for a starter is fine if you get an ACE, something Bud Norris isn't.

I don't think he's better than Medlen or Beachy.

What we need more than anything is a consistent bat, I don't see pitching as a HUGE need but maybe I'm wrong.

bravesnumberone
07-24-2013, 08:28 PM
I've been reading about all these teams possibly wanting in on Norris and haven't kept up with him. Thought he must be having a really good season, but it isn't all that great. Guess the market for a starter is just very slim right now. Wish we could shop Maholm and get someone to overpay. But that's no longer likely.

bravesnumberone
07-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Well it may have just become a bigger need.

tvsportscaster
07-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Well it may have just become a bigger need.

Not really, you have Brandon Beachy ready to come back and he just happened to pitch tonight, so he's on turn with Tim so he could easily be ready to take Tim's spot in the rotation.

bravesnumberone
07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Not really, you have Brandon Beachy ready to come back and he just happened to pitch tonight, so he's on turn with Tim so he could easily be ready to take Tim's spot in the rotation.

Yea, I'm guessing

Minor
Teheran
Beachy
Medlen
Wood
Maholm

are our six.

skidlee
07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
I think Wren will be more likely to look harder a SPs now if the news for Huddy isn't good. Not sure if he gets one but if we go into playoffs that rotation I don't know about our chances.

bravesnumberone
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
If only we knew we could have last year's Beachy and last year's Medlen coupled with Minor and Teheran.

thethe
07-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Problem is that I don't think we are going to see Tehearn in the postseason because of an innings limit.

So the you are looking at:

Minor
Beachy
Medlen
Maholm

Eh....

Maybe Alex Wood can provide a spark.

bravesnumberone
07-24-2013, 09:18 PM
It's unfortunate we can't sign that Cuban dude and have him be the pitching version of Puig immediately.

skidlee
07-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Problem is that I don't think we are going to see Tehearn in the postseason because of an innings limit.

I have yet to read anything about this but people keep posting it.

I don't believe the braves are going to bench Teheran because of innings

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
I have yet to read anything about this but people keep posting it.

I don't believe the braves are going to bench Teheran because of innings

Agreed. Even the year they called up Tommy Hanson, he was pitching in the minors before he got called up and pitched until the very end of the year. I remember bobby specifically being careful with him on pitch-count but not innings count.

weso1
07-24-2013, 09:39 PM
The Gnats blew a shot at the WS by resting Strasburg. It's overrated.

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
The Gnats blew a shot at the WS by resting Strasburg. It's overrated.

That was different. He was coming off TJ surgery.

Teheran is not coming back from injury.

weso1
07-24-2013, 09:44 PM
That was different. He was coming off TJ surgery.

Teheran is not coming back from injury.

I still say it's overrated. He had just had Tommy John. Chances of him having it again in the short term were pretty slim.

Carp
07-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Really? The man is 6-9 with a 3.62 ERA, a 106 ERA+, and 0.5 WAR. His next start is pushed back a few days, and there is talk of him moving to the BP.

Lowest ERA in the rotation at the start of July.

Dude has had 1 bad month out of 4, and you're ready to regulate him to the pen :confused:

You have a serious case of WhatHaveYouDoneForMeLately

emk418
07-25-2013, 12:05 AM
I just don't see SP as a big need. I live Hudson to death but its not like he's pitched like an ace this year. We are fine with Beachy replacing him and Wood as depth.

Bj1133
07-25-2013, 06:13 AM
I just don't see SP as a big need. I live Hudson to death but its not like he's pitched like an ace this year. We are fine with Beachy replacing him and Wood as depth.

He has been really good for the last 2 months - 69.1 innings with a 2.72 ERA during that time

Perfect Cell
07-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Just trade for a good reliever which is what we needed and still need.

Dunit24
07-25-2013, 06:58 AM
With Hudson going down, I think we need 2 arms. Whether it be a starter and a reliever or 2 relievers..doesnt matter. We need 2.

I would be cool with Crain and Thatcher, or even Russell and Thatcher. I hope if Wren doesnt decide to get another starter, he gets 2 arms to go with an already good bullpen to make it great.

thethe
07-25-2013, 07:07 AM
One arm in the pen is a necessity. I think two is a bit of a luxury but I won't complain.

I do not think Wren has to overreact and get a starter. Wood/Maholm is fine for the fifth starter. Especially now that it doesn't seem like we are going to be playing meaningful games late in the year. But even if we do, teams could do a hell of a lot worse out of their fifth spot.

BRule
07-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Problem with trading for a starter is, there really isn't anything worth trading for...at least no one that's a huge upgrade.

Shields and Sale aren't moving and Peavy isn't a sure thing with all his health issues.

I would give Theo a call and see what he wants for Wood but he's not someone that puts us over the top.

NYCBrave
07-25-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm not saying the division is wrapped up, but like someone mentioned, we won't have a lot of meaningful games down the stretch so trading for just a good starter won't have a huge impact. it then comes down to giving up prospects for a pitcher who will give you one start in a playoff series we might not even win.

JohnAdcox
07-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Honestly, outside of Garza or Peavy, has there been anyone on the market worth considering? That would give us a significantly better matchup in game one of a playoff series?

Dunit24
07-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Hypotheticaly, what about Medlen, Bethancourt, Graham, and Terd for Sale? Would Sox do it?

Sale - Minor - Beachy - Teheran - Wood/Maholm

Guess my point is if we go after a starter, it needs to be for a #1 or #2 starter. Minor, Beachy, and Teheran are all capable of being dominant, but I would feel so much more confident if we added an ace(obviously). I just think we have a better system than some give us credit for. Next season, re-sign Hudson and your starting 5 is Sale, Hudson, Beachy, Minor, Teheran, so you really lose nothing by trading Medlen at this point, and im sure a team would love to get a guy back like Kris.

NYCBrave
07-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Another thing to consider is the fact that Teheran might have to be shut down at some point unless the Braves start getting creative with limiting his innings

Dunit24
07-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Another thing to consider is the fact that Teheran might have to be shut down at some point unless the Braves start getting creative with limiting his innings

If we do shut him down, which I doubt we will bc hes not coming off an injury, it needs to be when Maholm returns and just keep Wood in the rotation. I want Teheran ready for the postseason.

nsacpi
07-25-2013, 08:33 AM
We have to ask ourselves what has changed due to the Hudson injury.

The pre injury scenario was this:

Rotation: Hudson, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Lefty to be acquired, Medlen, Maholm, one of Carpenter/Varvaro/Ayala/Loe

The post injury scenario is more like this:

Rotation: Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Lefty to be acquired, Maholm, two of Carpenter/Varvaro/Ayala/Loe

If we acquire Peavy (say for Bethancourt and Martin), the scenario looks like this:

Rotation: Peavy, Minior, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Lefty to be acquired, Maholm, one of Carpenter/Varvaro/Ayala/Loe

I could live with the middle scenario, but I like the one with Peavy better.

Also note I have Wood in the rotation, Maholm in the pen. That could easily be reversed. Fredi indicated yesterday that Maholm would go back to the rotation. Whether he stays there or not depends on how he pitches. If he stinks it up, I could easily see Wood moving to the rotation.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 08:38 AM
I'd rather keep Meds than deal prospects for Peavy. Only positive to getting Peavy is a rival wouldn't

The Chosen One
07-25-2013, 08:42 AM
The fact that Fredi said Maholm would come back to the rotation indicates to me that he and Wren are unsure of how Wood is going to pitch as a starter the rest of the year.

Medlen has pitched better than Maholm aside from W-L, so if Paul was going to bullpen pubicly it'd indicate to me that they were confident in Wood and Beachy doing the job.

BRule
07-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Headley is hitting 292 with a 835 OPS in July, btw. Has a 877 OPS since July 7....

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Headley is hitting 292 with a 835 OPS in July, btw. Has a 877 OPS since July 7....

Overrated scrub.

BRule
07-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Overrated scrub.

I prefer to call him a "flash in the pan"

nsacpi
07-25-2013, 08:57 AM

What kind of OPS would you expect from him the rest of this year.

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Overrated scrub.

Martin Prado has an 892 OPS in July. We lost the Upton trade.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
I prefer to call him a "flash in the pan"

One year wonder?

Tapate50
07-25-2013, 09:05 AM
One year wonder?

Bingo.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:05 AM
We have to ask ourselves what has changed due to the Hudson injury.

The pre injury scenario was this:

Rotation: Hudson, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Lefty to be acquired, Medlen, Maholm, one of Carpenter/Varvaro/Ayala/Loe

The post injury scenario is more like this:

Rotation: Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Lefty to be acquired, Maholm, two of Carpenter/Varvaro/Ayala/Loe

If we acquire Peavy (say for Bethancourt and Martin), the scenario looks like this:

Rotation: Peavy, Minior, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Lefty to be acquired, Maholm, one of Carpenter/Varvaro/Ayala/Loe

I could live with the middle scenario, but I like the one with Peavy better.

Also note I have Wood in the rotation, Maholm in the pen. That could easily be reversed. Fredi indicated yesterday that Maholm would go back to the rotation. Whether he stays there or not depends on how he pitches. If he stinks it up, I could easily see Wood moving to the rotation.

It is almost painful to post this but I wonder if the injury to Hudson would now put any trade partners on the offensive where they would ask for Gattis. Having said that then would you consider a Gattis, Wood, Uggla and some money for Sale, Beckham and Flowers?

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:08 AM
It is almost painful to post this but I wonder if the injury to Hudson would now put any trade partners on the offensive where they would ask for Gattis. Having said that then would you consider a Gattis, Wood, Uggla and some money for Sale, Beckham and Flowers?

Say no to trading Gattis and Wood in teh same deal. Trading one is fine but thsoe are going to be two impactful league minimum players. You can't just deal those guys together.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Say no to trading Gattis and Wood in teh same deal. Trading one is fine but thsoe are going to be two impactful league minimum players. You can't just deal those guys together.
Jury is still out on Wood at this time. I share the love for Gattis with you but with Mac situation up in the air who knows what Wren will do. The obvious need right now is a TOR pitcher, not the LHRP we needed yesterday.

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Jury is still out on Wood at this time. I share the love for Gattis with you but with Mac situation up in the air who knows what Wren will do. The obvious need right now is a TOR pitcher, not the LHRP we needed yesterday.

I just don't agree personally. If Huddy never got hurt this would have been the playoff rotation:

Minor
Huddy
Beachy
Medlen/Tehearn

Now its:

Minor
Beachy
Medlen
Tehearn

I just don't see a HUGE difference where we have to trade one of our really good long term assets for. I know I may be over the top for Wood but that guy just has dynamite stuff. he could get hurt of course but I woudl keep him.

Also, if Sale hit the market I think it would cost more than both Gattis/Wood.

JCarbo76
07-25-2013, 09:17 AM
I just don't agree personally. If Huddy never got hurt this would have been the playoff rotation:

Minor
Huddy
Beachy
Medlen/Tehearn

Now its:

Minor
Beachy
Medlen
Tehearn

I just don't see a HUGE difference where we have to trade one of our really good long term assets for. I know I may be over the top for Wood but that guy just has dynamite stuff. he could get hurt of course but I woudl keep him.

Also, if Sale hit the market I think it would cost more than both Gattis/Wood.

Correct. The eight game lead with two months to go take a lot of pressure off of the need to trade for a starter. The situation ABSOLUTELY does not dictate trading a long-term asset for a mid range (which is all we could get, at best) starter.

jc

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 09:19 AM

I would do that trade. But I'd not want Flowers and Beckham back, I'd want someone better. That's a heck of a salary savings though.

Maybe if instead we took back Sale, Thornton, and Crain I'd do it.

THen call up LaStella

Lineup would take a big hit but pitching would be way better

2B - LaStella (he or simmons could switch but I'd take his patience over Simmons's)
RF - Heyward
LF - Justin
1B - Freddie
C - Mac
3B - Johnson
SS - Simmons
CF - Bossman

Bench (when healthy)
Laird
Pastor
Reed
Schafer
Terdo

Rotation

Sale
Minor
Medlen
Beachy
Julio

Assuming Beachy comes back to form, the weakest pitcher in that rotation is Medlen who's well above average.

Pen

Kimbrel
Walden
Crain
Thornton
Avilan
2 others.

50PoundHead
07-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Tough one. I have an admittedly irrational dislike for Uggla as a player, but I think the benefit of that trade definitely goes to the White Sox. Gattis has shown an ability to play LF (and some 1B) in addition to catching and we need his bat. I always liked Flowers (I'd love to see him and Gattis in an arm-wrestling match), but he's solely a C and a "power only" guy. I don't want to p*ss off you Georgia guys, but I don't think much of Beckham.

PS--Any deal with the White Sox would have to include DeWayne Wise coming back to Atlanta!

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Correct. The eight game lead with two months to go take a lot of pressure off of the need to trade for a starter. The situation ABSOLUTELY does not dictate trading a long-term asset for a mid range (which is all we could get, at best) starter.

jc

Are you saying Sale is a midrange asset? If so check his stats and contract situation please.

The Chosen One
07-25-2013, 09:21 AM

jc

I think we still need to aggressively go after someone like Thatcher or Ollie Perez.

With the uncertainty of our starting rotation with Hudson and Maholm and Beachy coming back from TJ, it makes me think Fredi won't trust guys to go deep into games because of pitch counts, meaning our bullpen may not even make it to the playoffs. We've been fortunate that Avilan, Carpenter, and everyone NOT Walden-Kimbrel have pitched pretty good and injury free. We had an Avilan scare early, but you know Fredi's run arms into the ground before it can happen again.

Since Minor seems to be the only guy NOT Hudson or Maholm that could go 7-8 innings, Fredi's going to rely on his bullpen more and more and more.

50PoundHead
07-25-2013, 09:21 AM
I would do that trade. But I'd not want Flowers and Beckham back, I'd want someone better. That's a heck of a salary savings though.

Maybe if instead we took back Sale, Thornton, and Crain I'd do it.

THen call up LaStella

Lineup would take a big hit but pitching would be way better

2B - LaStella (he or simmons could switch but I'd take his patience over Simmons's)
RF - Heyward
LF - Justin
1B - Freddie
C - Mac
3B - Johnson
SS - Simmons
CF - Bossman

Bench (when healthy)
Laird
Pastor
Reed
Schafer
Terdo

Rotation

Sale
Minor
Medlen
Beachy
Julio

Assuming Beachy comes back to form, the weakest pitcher in that rotation is Medlen who's well above average.

Pen

Kimbrel
Walden
Crain
Thornton
Avilan
2 others.

z! Asleep at the switch. Thornton got traded to the Red Sox the other day.

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Sale is a great pitcher so I can't say we woudn't get something extremely valueable back. I am just leary on trading both of those players. Neither will have the impact that Sale has individually but together? I'm not so sure.

What if Wood becomes a solid #2 and Gattis is a 35+ homerun hitter from the catcher position? Isn't that more valueable than just Sale?

I think there will be buyers for Uggla in the offseason. Guy is on pace to hit 30+ homers again.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 09:23 AM
z! Asleep at the switch. Thornton got traded to the Red Sox the other day.

Whoops, hardly the first time that happened haha.

Pick another reliever. Or prospect.

The Chosen One
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Sale is a great pitcher so I can't say we woudn't get something extremely valueable back. I am just leary on trading both of those players. Neither will have the impact that Sale has individually but together? I'm not so sure.

What if Wood becomes a solid #2 and Gattis is a 35+ homerun hitter from the catcher position? Isn't that more valueable than just Sale?

I think there will be buyers for Uggla in the offseason. Guy is on pace to hit 30+ homers again.

Gattis has shown no signs of being consistent enough to hit 35 homeruns. He's shown more than he has absolutely no knowledge of the strikezone than he does having 35 HR potential. He had a torrid April like Justin, but anyone can get hot for a month. Francouer is always the main case.

I have no idea what to expect from Wood. He didn't exactly dominate in his time in the bullpen either and the only reason he was rushed to the bigs was because of injuries to EOF and Venters. If they hadn't gotten hurt, Wood would probably still be in AA right now. I think expecting him to pitch as a 3 right now is generous. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but nothing mechanically or stuff wise leads me to believe he's going to give us 6-7 solid innings per start.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Tough one. I have an admittedly irrational dislike for Uggla as a player, but I think the benefit of that trade definitely goes to the White Sox. Gattis has shown an ability to play LF (and some 1B) in addition to catching and we need his bat. I always liked Flowers (I'd love to see him and Gattis in an arm-wrestling match), but he's solely a C and a "power only" guy. I don't want to p*ss off you Georgia guys, but I don't think much of Beckham.

PS--Any deal with the White Sox would have to include DeWayne Wise coming back to Atlanta!

How many at bats do you expect Gattis to get in the playoffs before the WS? The move of Uggla would be simply to make a deal with McCann easier. Flowers would be insurance for this year only. Beckham is fungible in the future but a gap filler for now since Pastornicky cant seem to stick.

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Gattis has shown no signs of being consistent enough to hit 35 homeruns. He's shown more than he has absolutely no knowledge of the strikezone than he does having 35 HR potential. He had a torrid April like Justin, but anyone can get hot for a month. Francouer is always the main case.

I have no idea what to expect from Wood. He didn't exactly dominate in his time in the bullpen either and the only reason he was rushed to the bigs was because of injuries to EOF and Venters. If they hadn't gotten hurt, Wood would probably still be in AA right now. I think expecting him to pitch as a 3 right now is generous. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but nothing mechanically or stuff wise leads me to believe he's going to give us 6-7 solid innings per start.

Alex Wood has over a k per inning and a 1.77 FIP and 2.28 xFIP in his major league career at 22 years of age. How is that not impressive?

Gattis had a better May than he did in April and in a small sample is having an ok July.

I'm not really following you on this SAV.

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:28 AM
How many at bats do you expect Gattis to get in the playoffs before the WS? The move of Uggla would be simply to make a deal with McCann easier. Flowers would be insurance for this year only. Beckham is fungible in the future but a gap filler for now since Pastornicky cant seem to stick.

If BJ UPton doesn't start hitting he is going to be a late inning defensive replacement IMO then just restart for next year. Gattis will play everyday in LF in the playoffs if he is still hitting.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Alex Wood has over a k per inning and a 1.77 FIP and 2.28 xFIP in his major league career at 22 years of age. How is that not impressive?

Gattis had a better May than he did in April and in a small sample is having an ok July.

I'm not really following you on this SAV.
Its pretty simple, are we playing for the post season this year or down the road?

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Its pretty simple, are we playing for the post season this year or down the road?

Thats always a tough question. I know one of these years the Braves just need to go for it but when you look at previous world series winners there wasn't that one move that was made which forced all of baseball to say now they are the favorites. Playoffs are a crap shoot. We have so much damn high end talent on this team. they just need to perform and we can win without Sale.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Thats always a tough question. I know one of these years the Braves just need to go for it but when you look at previous world series winners there wasn't that one move that was made which forced all of baseball to say now they are the favorites. Playoffs are a crap shoot. We have so much damn high end talent on this team. they just need to perform and we can win without Sale.

Sale is just an example of the need. There was a time recently that Ken Rosenthal was the most respected journalist of all when it concerned the Braves. Read his article posted today in MLBTraderumors.

thethe
07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Sale is just an example of the need. There was a time recently that Ken Rosenthal was the most respected journalist of all when it concerned the Braves. Read his article posted today in MLBTraderumors.

Left-hander Mike Minor, the Braves’ No. 2 starter, might not even be a true No. 2.

Clearly Rosenthal doesn't watch the Braves enough.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Left-hander Mike Minor, the Braves’ No. 2 starter, might not even be a true No. 2.

Clearly Rosenthal doesn't watch the Braves enough.
Does that mean you truly think Minor is a true #2 or just the best available on the Braves team? Me, I personally think he needs to cut down on the HRs allowed before the coronation.

50PoundHead
07-25-2013, 10:01 AM

If we make it to the WS, Gattis would be the DH in the AL park. Plus, he gives us a LF option against LHP if you put Heyward in CF and BJ Upton on the bench. Add to that his value as a PH and I think the question is answered.

In answer to the other question of "now or later," I've always been of the school that you don't make massive adjustments with just one year in mind. I haven't liked the pattern we've taken since the Texiera trade and I wouldn't sell the farm for Sale.

It's early on Wood, but the returns thus far have been promising.

thethe
07-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Does that mean you truly think Minor is a true #2 or just the best available on the Braves team? Me, I personally think he needs to cut down on the HRs allowed before the coronation.

I absolutely think he is a number 2 right now with the potential to be an Ace.

thethe
07-25-2013, 10:02 AM
If we make it to the WS, Gattis would be the DH in the AL park. Plus, he gives us a LF option against LHP if you put Heyward in CF and BJ Upton on the bench. Add to that his value as a PH and I think the question is answered.

In answer to the other question of "now or later," I've always been of the school that you don't make massive adjustments with just one year in mind. I haven't liked the pattern we've taken since the Texiera trade and I wouldn't sell the farm for Sale.

Imagine the picture of a hammer hitting a nail right on the head.

BRule
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
What kind of OPS would you expect from him the rest of this year.

830-850

BlackwaterPark
07-25-2013, 10:18 AM
#Braves Wren said will look at starters on trade market, but have to weigh whether it significantly improves team, to give up young talent.

#Braves Fredi G said he'd be comfortable going with starters they have, despite the youth and lack of playoff experience.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 10:19 AM

You chastized Zito on the THorton trade so Ill get you. I wrote BEFORE the WS. J/K I dont think this team or any other team is going to sit BJ Upton in the whole of playoffs at the risk of pissing off your 75M Man with 4 more years of sulking on the horizon.
Now or Later: I just dont see that big of a sell off if you were to move Gattis and Wood and it led to a deep run into the playoffs.

Personally, Im coming up on 74 years and would like to go to one WS before I hit the Old Soldiers Home.

thethe
07-25-2013, 10:19 AM
#Braves Wren said will look at starters on trade market, but have to weigh whether it significantly improves team, to give up young talent.

Worst thing a GM can do is panic. Just go through the process and trust the talent on your team.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 10:21 AM

#Braves Fredi G said he'd be comfortable going with starters they have, despite the youth and lack of playoff experience.
Well what about that from Wren? Guess Rosenthal guessed right. And would anyone expect Fredi to say anything else?

50PoundHead
07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
You chastized Zito on the THorton trade so Ill get you. I wrote BEFORE the WS. J/K I dont think this team or any other team is going to sit BJ Upton in the whole of playoffs at the risk of pissing off your 75M Man with 4 more years of sulking on the horizon.
Now or Later: I just dont see that big of a sell off if you were to move Gattis and Wood and it led to a deep run into the playoffs.

Personally, Im coming up on 74 years and would like to go to one WS before I hit the Old Soldiers Home.

Sorry about not reading more carefully. I'm not all gaga over Gattis, but given the injury situation in the OF and the fact that McCann has to sit periodically, I don't know how we can include Gattis in a trade, even for someone like Sale.

IF BJ doesn't like the prospect of sitting, maybe he should pick up his game a bit.

I'm turning 60 and it's still all about the journey for me. Another WS would be nice, but I don't see how acquiring Sale, Beckham, and Flowers for Gattis, Wood, and Uggla gets us there. I'm all for unloading Uggla, but I think the trade you've proposed bolsters the starting rotation, but does so at an excessive cost.

Tapate50
07-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Crain canceled his workout after feeling continued discomfort.

BRule
07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Cross him off the list

emk418
07-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm just not convinced that Peavy is really a definite upgrade. If there was a true ace available I would definitely want to trade for one but if we're looking at Peavy, Norris etc then I just go with Beachy.

The Chosen One
07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
With our luck, Peavy would get elbow discomfort on the last week of the season if we acquired him.

skidlee
07-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Well for 1 i think the Hudson injury makes the pen a MUST improve. We need 2 arms for sure. After Kimbrel, walden, and Avilan the pen is in shambles.

Odds are Medlen stays in the rotation and Beachy gets moved into the rotation.

Wren must get a RH and LH for the pen.

Tapate50
07-25-2013, 01:52 PM
With our luck, Peavy would get elbow discomfort on the last week of the season if we acquired him.

We are scouting his start, so don't rule this out. Chicago would probably love to unload that contract.

Tapate50
07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I think we ultimately get Jose Bautista, Josh Johnson, and a reliever from Tor. Just sayin'

:eusa_dance:

bravesnumberone
07-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Is there any kind of chance we can trade our manager?

Julio3000
07-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Maybe make a deal for Laird, then send Fredi instead?

emk418
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I know he's struggled this year but I think the only SP I would take a shot on is Gallardo. He's the only one that I have any confidence in being an actual impact SP.

PawPawMaxwell
07-25-2013, 04:09 PM
I know he's struggled this year but I think the only SP I would take a shot on is Gallardo. He's the only one that I have any confidence in being an actual impact SP.
Even after todays performance (or lack thereof)??????

NinersSBChamps
07-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Per MLBTR.com

Braves Considering Trades For Rotation Help
By Steve Adams [July 25 at 2:37pm CST]
In the wake of Tim Hudson's season-ending ankle injury last night, the Braves will consider making a trade to upgrade their rotation, writes David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journa-Constitution. O'Brien was among the reporters who spoke with general manager Frank Wren today, who told the media:

“A lot of thoughts have gone through my mind since last night. It’s created a lot more (trade) discussions, there’s no question.”

It wasn't long ago that the Braves looked to have an enviable surplus of starting pitching with Hudson, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Paul Maholm and Kris Medlen in the rotation and a returning Brandon Beachy on the horizon. However, the team has seen Maholm and Medlen struggle tremendously lately, and Maholm is slated to miss his next three starts with a sprained left wrist. The Braves feel that Beachy is ready to return, and rookie Alex Wood presents another option, but he didn't escape the fifth inning today. Wood lasted just three frames in his only other start for the Braves this season.

Wren and his top assistants will convene over the weekend to discuss their options, O'Brien writes. That group will try to determine if there's a starting option on the market who can improve the team significantly without costing too much in terms of young talent. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick tweets that Wren, like most general managers, is waiting to see if the asking prices on available starters drops as the deadline nears. O'Brien adds that the Braves are not in the mix for Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.

Earlier today it was reported that the Braves will be one of the many teams scouting Jake Peavy's start against the Tigers in Chicago. The team also remains in the market for a left-handed reliever to fortify its bullpen after losing Jonny Venters and Eric O'Flaherty to Tommy John surgery.

Bj1133
07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Like others have said, there is no real impact starter out there right now. I'd much rather see the Braves hold onto their prospects and make a move for David Price after the season is over

nsacpi
07-25-2013, 06:25 PM
I'd be interested in Shields if the Royals made him available. I'd be willing to give up anyone in our farm system other than Wood, Sims, Cabrera and Peraza for Shields. A deal involving two of Salcedo, Martin and Terdoslavich might work.

thethe
07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd be interested in Shields if the Royals made him available. I'd be willing to give up anyone in our farm system other than Wood, Sims, Cabrera and Peraza for Shields. A deal involving two of Salcedo, Martin and Terdoslavich might work.

Not after they gave up Myers for him who is destroying the ball.

tvsportscaster
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Ted Lilly was just DFA'd by the Dodgers, is he worth taking a chance?

NYCBrave
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Gallardo is interesting since he's pitched like an ace in the past, but this year he just hasn't seem to put it together. His K rate is way down from previous years, meaning he might be dealing with diminished velocity, but I can't say for sure. He's only 27 and relatively cheap, making 6 mil next year and then a free agent in 2015. Would coming over to a contender get him back in his groove?

COGPK
07-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Gallardo's stats aren't that far off from Huddy's but with potential. Also, 8-8 with Milwaukee is not bad.

skidlee
07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
I could get behind Gallardo.

emk418
07-25-2013, 07:28 PM
I could get behind Gallardo.

No question he's struggled this year but since he's not a long term commitment it could be worth seeing if a change of scenery could help. I think he'd be worth a shot.

BlackwaterPark
07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Ted Lilly was just DFA'd by the Dodgers, is he worth taking a chance?

He is worse than Maholm

tvsportscaster
07-25-2013, 08:11 PM
He is worse than Maholm

Agreed

Bye Week
07-25-2013, 09:12 PM
The one thing about Gallardo is he can hit better than BJ Upton.

Career line of .212/.240/.372 with 12 HR's in 344 at-bats.

Bye Week
07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Seriously though, I could get behind Gallardo. We would be buying low on him with his struggles this year but dude has put up 4 very solid seasons before that.

We would have him for 1.5 years. Of course it all depends on the cost which would still be pretty steep, imo.

Carp
07-25-2013, 09:53 PM
830-850

Total numbers includnig Petco may be. If he were playing the majority of his games elsewhere, I think it's entirely possible he'd have an .850-.900 OPS over the rest of the season.

CrimsonCowboy
07-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Per Jon Morsi, the Braves are among the teams actively pursuing Astros starter Bud Norris

NinersSBChamps
07-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Norris is good pitcher. He is on a bad team and his strikeout numbers are down some this season. He has put together a decent season all things considered. I'd take a flier on him.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Per Jon Morsi, the Braves are among the teams actively pursuing Astros starter Bud Norris

Bud Norris, seriously?

He's no bette rthan Maholm.

NinersSBChamps
07-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Bud Norris, seriously?

He's no bette rthan Maholm.

He's on a far worse team and half a run better than Maholm. We could do worse and not much better.

zitothebrave
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM
He's on a far worse team and half a run better than Maholm. We could do worse and not much better.

Norris career ERA and FIP 4.33 and 4.14, Maholm career ERA and FIP 4.27 and 4.18

Basically the same player except Norris is younger and having a better year right now.

Carp
07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I think you just make the BP stronger and make it shorter game for your starters. Get Mike Gonzalez and Jose Veras and make it a 6 inning game again.

Only starter left that would make a difference over what we already have is Ervin Santana, and he'd probably take a pretty decent haul to acquire.

Carp
07-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Will be mad if we give up any of significance for Bud Norris. Really not an impovement over we already have. Might as well wait for Maholm to return and roll with him if we are looking at the kind of pitcher

Heyward
07-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Like others have said, there is no real impact starter out there right now. I'd much rather see the Braves hold onto their prospects and make a move for David Price after the season is over

People brought this up on the scout board.

We have NOTHING to get Price, he'd cost a haul if/when he eventually gets traded.

I mean ****, they got Will Myers for James Shields.

Heyward
07-25-2013, 11:19 PM

They traded Myers for Shields, they aren't giving him away. It would take a LOT to pry away Shields.

IF they are selling, i'd want Ervin Santana but i have no idea how we could get him.

Heyward
07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Still say bullpen is a bigger need.

I mean, look at today, we don't have many good middle-RP when a starter doesn't go deep.

Need another lefty, and another high leverage (Crain) as long as the cost isn't insane more-so than a SP who isn't THAT much of an upgrade.

drewdat
07-26-2013, 12:36 AM
I don't think there is any reason to get a starter unless it's someone we want starting playoff games. The Maholm you know over the Maholms... Maholmes?... Maholemes you don't and all. Lots of teams carry a weak fifth starter, and in September it will be easier to save bullpen arms in blowouts with expanded rosters.

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't think there is any reason to get a starter unless it's someone we want starting playoff games. The Maholm you know over the Maholms... Maholmes?... Maholemes you don't and all. Lots of teams carry a weak fifth starter, and in September it will be easier to save bullpen arms in blowouts with expanded rosters.

Interesting point, the September callups. Our 40 man has a few interesting arms who aren't in the majors now, such as Northcraft and Hale. But not a ton of sports, assuming Huddy is moved to the 60 day, we're still 1 spot open only.

Also did anyone elese forget we had Blake Dewitt? Cause I did.

Heyward
07-26-2013, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't mind Norris but he's not that much of an upgrade over what we have, and the cost it would take to get him.

Heyward
07-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Norris is good pitcher. He is on a bad team and his strikeout numbers are down some this season. He has put together a decent season all things considered. I'd take a flier on him.

It would be more than a flier, Alex.

Would cost some decent prospects to get him.

rico43
07-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Not a rumor, but Braves need to make a major run at Ted Lilly. DFA by Dodgers tonight.

Bj1133
07-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Not a rumor, but Braves need to make a major run at Ted Lilly. DFA by Dodgers tonight.

He isn't what he used to be

NYCBrave
07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Interesting point, the September callups. Our 40 man has a few interesting arms who aren't in the majors now, such as Northcraft and Hale. But not a ton of sports, assuming Huddy is moved to the 60 day, we're still 1 spot open only.

Also did anyone elese forget we had Blake Dewitt? Cause I did.

The thing I don't understand about Dewitt is he came up early in the year as injury depth, and then went on the DL with a minor injury and has been with the team in the dug out all year due to this. I'm pretty sure he's not hurt.

NYCBrave
07-26-2013, 07:47 AM

No thanks on Norris. Like many have pointed out, he's no better than anything we have.

Yogi44
07-26-2013, 08:00 AM
My preference is Peavy, but a very interesting name IMO is Ervin Santana. He;s had a vood year and may take less than Peavy. But while we may have depth in arms, we have no idea if Teheran hits a wall with IP, if Beachy takes a while to get in a groove, if Malholm can find it again, if Medlen can turn it around and if Wood can pitch at this level consistently??? Too many if's. That group might get us to the division title, but playoffs, that group just won't cut it!

weso1
07-26-2013, 08:11 AM
I like Peavy myself. I think we can afford him over the next couple of years with the tv deal and the extra money we have this season. His option year is dependent on him throwing 190 Innings in 2014 and 400 innings total between 2013 and 2014. If he does that then he'll either be worth the 15 mil or won't accept the option.

But the biggest thing is because we'd be taking on his contract, he won't cost much in young players.

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
I like Peavy myself. I think we can afford him over the next couple of years with the tv deal and the extra money we have this season. His option year is dependent on him throwing 190 Innings in 2014 and 400 innings total between 2013 and 2014. If he does that then he'll either be worth the 15 mil or won't accept the option.

But the biggest thing is because we'd be taking on his contract, he won't cost much in young players.

Yes. We have the financial flexibility to take on the rest of his salary for 2013 and 2014. And that does open the possibility of getting him for a couple mid-level prospects. My guess is that we would not have to give up a Top 5 prospect for him. We can probably get him for one of our prospects ranked 6-10 or a couple guys ranked a little bit lower.

We have some good depth as far as pitching prospects go. I'd try to structure a deal to take advantage of that. Starting pitchers such as Northcraft, Hale, Schlosser. I'd try to hold on to Martin, but if push came to shove I'd be willing to part with him.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
If we get Peavy, does it spell the end of McCann?

zitothebrave
07-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Probably. I would imagine it 100% means Medlen is gone, might as well see if we can use him in that trade as a valuable piece.

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Nope. We should have close to 30M available next year to allocate to a starting pitcher and a catcher. This is with arbitration raises factored in for our younger players. Getting Peavy does NOT rule out bringing back McCann on a contract worth about 15M/year.

50PoundHead
07-26-2013, 09:25 AM
My preference is Peavy, but a very interesting name IMO is Ervin Santana. He;s had a vood year and may take less than Peavy. But while we may have depth in arms, we have no idea if Teheran hits a wall with IP, if Beachy takes a while to get in a groove, if Malholm can find it again, if Medlen can turn it around and if Wood can pitch at this level consistently??? Too many if's. That group might get us to the division title, but playoffs, that group just won't cut it!

I have heard his name mentioned in trade rumors. Has had a pretty good season. FA at the end of the year so no long-term cost. Curious to see what the Royals would want for him.

Santana and Peavy are probably the two guys who are going to draw the most interest before the deadline and with multiple bidders, it will be interesting to see what type of package lands these guys, if they indeed move.

Tapate50
07-26-2013, 09:37 AM
from mlbtraderumors I thought this paragraph was encouraging:

Wren and his top assistants will convene over the weekend to discuss their options, O'Brien writes. That group will try to determine if there's a starting option on the market who can improve the team significantly without costing too much in terms of young talent. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick tweets that Wren, like most general managers, is waiting to see if the asking prices on available starters drops as the deadline nears. O'Brien adds that the Braves are not in the mix for Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I have heard his name mentioned in trade rumors. Has had a pretty good season. FA at the end of the year so no long-term cost. Curious to see what the Royals would want for him.

Santana and Peavy are probably the two guys who are going to draw the most interest before the deadline and with multiple bidders, it will be interesting to see what type of package lands these guys, if they indeed move.

Royals aren't going to be making the playoffs.

Dayton probably won't be the GM next year.

Maybe he can just give us Santana for free? :eusa_dance:

Julio3000
07-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Us being in on Gonzales beyond simple due diligence didn't really sound right.

BRule
07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Bud Norris is also horrible away from home.

PawPawMaxwell
07-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Without a doubt I think Peavy would move Mac out. And IMO we would still need a TOR guy who isnt so injury prone.
I wonder if Hudson will even try a comeback.
Hate to reopen this can of worms but IMO unless Uggla can be moved and in fairness lately its looking more positive that he can be traded, one of J Upton or Heyward will have to go as well. This team is hampered severely in carrying big contracts.

bravesfan247
07-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Bud Norris is also horrible away from home.

Just say "NO" to Bud Norris. Last time he pitched against the Cards he got bombed.

bravesfan247
07-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Without a doubt I think Peavy would move Mac out. And IMO we would still need a TOR guy who isnt so injury prone.
I wonder if Hudson will even try a comeback.
Hate to reopen this can of worms but IMO unless Uggla can be moved and in fairness lately its looking more positive that he can be traded, one of J Upton or Heyward will have to go as well. This team is hampered severely in carrying big contracts.

See, I think McCann is gone anyway. Plus, losing Hudsons contract, we are fine.
And as far as Uggla goes, where would we be without him right now?

Enscheff
07-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Bud Norris is a good pitcher, but not the type of pitcher this team needs. He is the type of pitcher a team gets to add depth to their rotation so they can make the playoffs, not a pitcher a team adds to pitch in the playoffs.

I would argue he is worse than Minor, Beachy, Teheran, and Medlen. Surely Wren doesn't need to waste prospects on a 4/5 starter that won't start a single playoff game.

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
We have the flexibility to have both Peavy and McCann at a total of about 30M in 2014.

Payroll will rise about 15M due to national TV revenues. I'm assuming about half the extra revenue goes to payroll.

In addition the following contracts come off the books after 2013: McCann (12M), Hudson (9M), Maholm (6.5M), EOF (4.3M). That's a total of almost 32M.

If you do the math it becomes clear we can fit in McCann and Peavy, even with the arbitration and other raises coming in for other players.

To repeat there is room for both McCann and Peavy in 2014. And this room exists without need to move any of our current players under contractual control for 2014.

bravesfan247
07-26-2013, 10:49 AM
I dont know why there is no talk of trading for Santana or Sheilds from KC. Both are having great seasons and I would say that either one would come in and be the best pitcher we have. Santana is in the last year of his contract and Sheilds has a club option for 2014 with a $1 buyout.

PawPawMaxwell
07-26-2013, 11:06 AM
We have the flexibility to have both Peavy and McCann at a total of about 30M in 2014.

Payroll will rise about 15M due to national TV revenues. I'm assuming about half the extra revenue goes to payroll.

In addition the following contracts come off the books after 2013: McCann (12M), Hudson (9M), Maholm (6.5M), EOF (4.3M). That's a total of almost 32M.

If you do the math it becomes clear we can fit in McCann and Peavy, even with the arbitration and other raises coming in for other players.

To repeat there is room for both McCann and Peavy in 2014. And this room exists without need to move any of our current players under contractual control for 2014.
OK But you are only postponing the inevitable. If you have Peavy and McCann and the rest of the big contracts in 2015 along with Uggla, Uptons, who do you move on of the young guys in who will be getting expensive.

bravesnumberone
07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I agree on Santana or Shields, but if Moore gives us Shields after giving up Myers to get him, he may as well go ahead and grab a cardboard box.

Tapate50
07-26-2013, 11:18 AM
https://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/360787468947169280

DOB saying Peavy is a legit possibility

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
OK But you are only postponing the inevitable. If you have Peavy and McCann and the rest of the big contracts in 2015 along with Uggla, Uptons, who do you move on of the young guys in who will be getting expensive.

Peavy likely won't meet the conditions to trigger his 2015 options. He would be gone after 2014. Uggla is gone one way or the other after 2015.

emk418
07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I just really have no interest in Peavy or Norris. I don't see how they are an upgrade over what we have. Are we really getting better by trading valuable pieces for Peavy and moving Medlen to the pen? I would much rather keep Medlen in the rotation and trade for a reliever. I'll go to battle with Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Beachy, Maholm/Wood. I would have loved Garza tho.

Julio3000
https://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/360787468947169280

DOB saying Peavy is a legit possibility

Based on upside and potential prospect cost, I'd think so. More upside than Norris, not a high buy like Santana.

nsacpi
I agree on Santana or Shields, but if Moore gives us Shields after giving up Myers to get him, he may as well go ahead and grab a cardboard box.

I would love to get Shields.

Dalyn
07-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Like the idea of Peavy and Beachy in the rotation, Wood and Medlen (when/if Maholm returns) in the bullpen.

weso1
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Peavy has pitched very well in a hitter's league and a hitter's park. He'd immediately come in and be our first or second best pitcher.

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Are we really getting better by trading valuable pieces for Peavy and moving Medlen to the pen?

Depends on what we trade for Peavy. I would not trade one of our Top 5 prospects for him. We might be able to get him for a couple second-tier guys. I would do that.

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Shields, Peavy and Josh Johnson would all help us. I prefer the first two because they are also signed for next year.

Dalyn
07-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Peavy has pitched very well in a hitter's league and a hitter's park. He'd immediately come in and be our first or second best pitcher.

Minor
Peavy
Teheran
Maholm
Beachy

Kimbrel
Walden
Medlen
Avilan
Wood
Ayala
Carpenter/trade

That's a strong pitching staff.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Let's ask the Padres what they'd take for Peavy and Headley.

Heyward
07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I would love to get Shields.

KC isn't trading him nor do we have the prospects to get him.

CyYoung31
07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Let's ask the Padres what they'd take for Peavy and Headley.

Jurrjens and Escobar would be the starting point.

Heyward
07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Shields, Peavy and Josh Johnson would all help us. I prefer the first two because they are also signed for next year.

Johnson has sucked ass this year.

KC isn't dealing Shields.

Wouldn't mind Peavy but it would cost too much IMO.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Jurrjens and Escobar would be the starting point.

I was hoping they'd take either Delgado/Vizcaino + Lillibridge package. Maybe even include Hoover/Locke as a throw-in?

CyYoung31
07-26-2013, 12:17 PM
I was hoping since Escobar and Jurrjens are gone that they'd take either Delgado/Vizcaino + Lillibridge package. Maybe even include Hoover/Locke as a throw-in?

Way too much. I'd rather give up Teheran than Viz. Teheran's stuff is too straight and Viz is the next Rafael Soriano. And Lillibridge went in the Vasquez deal, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Way too much. I'd rather give up Teheran than Viz. Teheran's stuff is too straight and Viz is the next Rafael Soriano. And Lillibridge went in the Vasquez deal, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

Ok.

Maybe Marte, Brayan Pena, Belisle get it done? I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in Prado as well to seal the deal. Anything more and they can politely exit the same door they came in.

Heyward
07-26-2013, 12:22 PM
KC wants MLB ready talent for Santana.

Medlen+ for Santana/Herrera.....

CyYoung31
07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok.

Maybe Marte, Brayan Pena, Belisle get it done? I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in Prado as well to seal the deal. Anything more and they can politely exit the same door they came in.

Honestly, they'd probably ask for Bubba Nelson. Probably wouldn't be worth it.

CyYoung31
07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
KC wants MLB ready talent for Santana.

Medlen+ for Santana/Herrera.....

Lol, no. How does that make us any better?

NYCBrave
I wonder if the price of Peavy would be cheaper since he's signed to 15+ million next year. I also wonder if the Sox would give salary relief in exchange for getting higher calibur minor league players in a deal.

CyYoung31
Honestly, they'd probably ask for Bubba Nelson. Probably wouldn't be worth it.

If they insisted on including Bubba I would counter with Trey Hodges and see if they budge.

The Chosen One
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
If they insisted on including Bubba I would counter with Trey Hodges and see if they budge.

Hodges had a really really really good W-L record for Richmond. Solid.

CyYoung31
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Hodges had a really really really good W-L record for Richmond. Solid.

Reports are that he's white and he really loves baseball. I'd hate to part ways with him, but you got to give a little to get a little.

emk418
07-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I really have no interest at all in a multi-year commitment to Peavy.

bravesfan247
07-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Lol, no. How does that make us any better?

Really? Im amazed at the lack of baseball knowledge. Santana is a MUCH better pitcher this year than Medlen.

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 12:41 PM
I really have no interest at all in a multi-year commitment to Peavy.

Does 1 year and 2 months count as multi-year?

skidlee
07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Funny how i was laughed at for wanting Peavy and Santana and now Wren is looking hard at both

nsacpi
07-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Really? Im amazed at the lack of baseball knowledge. Santana is a MUCH better pitcher this year than Medlen.

The relevant question, as always, is how they will pitch going forward. Past performance is relevant only to the extent it is predictive of future performance. So what do you expect Santana and Medlen to pitch like in August and September? I'm curious.

ChapelHillMatt
07-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Funny how i was laughed at for wanting Peavy and Santana and now Wren is looking hard at both

Hudson's injury is forcing his hand.