PDA

View Full Version : Braves Trade Deadline Rumors

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

skidlee
07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
With just about 24 days away from the deadline I thought I would post a thread where we can add all the rumors.

This is from Rosenthal today

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2h

Sources: #WhiteSox’s Thornton on long #RedSox list of possible bullpen targets. #Braves also inquired on Thornton; interest “limited.”

I know some don't like Thorton but I do think he is a target all be it a "limited" one.

BoneThrower
07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Sounds like we're interested in the Yankees Joba Chamberlain....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-giants-phillies-among-possible-trading-partners-york-175600823.html

The Chosen One
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Olney says we were scouting Chase Utley during the Philly series.

Yeah right.

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Heyman reports Braves interest in Oliver Perez. Yikes!

TURBO
07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Heyman reports Braves interest in Oliver Perez. Yikes!

Thats scary.

BRule
07-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Not really, Ollie is perfect for us...he's been a really good arm out of the pen the last 2 years.

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi strand rate and low HR/FB rate the last couple years for Ollie. Ex-FIP around 3.7 over the two year period. Not bad. But not great either.

PawPawMaxwell
07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Question: If the Braves trade for another bullpen arm, who on the current roster would get moved down or traded?

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Question: If the Braves trade for another bullpen arm, who on the current roster would get moved down or traded?

Good question. Kimbrel, Walden and Avilan aren't going anywhere. So one of Wood, Carpenter, Varvaro and Ayala. It is possible two of those guys get sent down if there is a trade and one of the starters is displaced by Beachy.

Varvaro and Ayala don't have options left. Wood and Carpenter do.

BRule
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I would send Wood and/or Ayala down in favor of Ollie

nsacpi
07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Wood is better than Ollie imo.

zitothebrave
07-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I assume we're looking for a lefty to replace Wood so he can get back to his normal developmental schedule.

Braves1976
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Wood is better than Ollie imo.

Agreed, but Obispo is better than Ayala too. It's the better to go with the vet view. I'm annoyed we've went through so many relievers and Obispo hasn't gotten his shot yet.

CrimsonCowboy
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Olney says we were scouting Chase Utley during the Philly series.

Yeah right.

There is NO WAY Utley will be dealt to Atlanta. Next chance of having a new second baseman will be in the offseason

thewupk
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Starters like Perez can sometimes thrive when being limited to a relievers role. I would definitely give him a look. Either way unless an injury goes down we are really only looking at restocking the pen. I would prefer to get a shutdown loogy more than anything.

Knucksie
07-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Getting Utley would send a strong message though!

zitothebrave
07-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Getting Utley would send a strong message though!

I'd love the idea of going after Utley in the offseason and dumping off Uggla, unfortunately there's no shot of that happening. Utley's only issue is injury and we could bring up manchild LaStella to replace Utley when he goes down.

Knucksie
07-10-2013, 06:13 PM
That's been my thinking all along, too, about Uggla. So many posts at The Other Place made it sound as if it would be a breeze to unload him with a package, including a couple of desirable prospects. It'd pretty much require bringing back another bad contract.

jason27nc
07-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Threads like this get rumors started.

BRule
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I'd love the idea of going after Utley in the offseason and dumping off Uggla, unfortunately there's no shot of that happening. Utley's only issue is injury and we could bring up manchild LaStella to replace Utley when he goes down.

Saw a blurb on Uggla the other day on Roto:

Dan Uggla said Monday that the new prescription for his contacts have greatly improved his vision at the plate.Uggla has battled vision issues all year and will undergo Lasik surgery after the season is over. He's batted .277/.327/.574 with three homers and 12 RBI over his last 12 games, though, and gives plenty of credit to his new contacts. "There are some at-bats when it does not feel like it's quite there," Uggla said. "But more times than not, it's night-and-day different."

Now if someone wants Uggla, I still trade him....but maybe this was really his problem and he will be back to normal at the plate?

gilesfan
07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
U guys need to watch Perez. He's filthy

jason27nc
07-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Wed, Jul 10

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles and Braves "are among many teams" who have inquired about Mariners' reliever Oliver Perez.

Advice: Perez has found new life in the Mariners' bullpen, posting a 1.89 ERA and 46 strikeouts over 33 1/3 innings this season. While his velocity was lacking during his final days in New York, he's averaging close to 93 mph on his heater this year and his slider has returned as a legitimate weapon. Competing executives tell Heyman that he may come cheaper than White Sox left-hander Matt Thornon. We should also hear plenty of chatter about Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez in the coming weeks, though Heyman hears that the Mariners are reluctant to start selling off their veterans

Bj1133
07-10-2013, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see 2 or 3 relief pitchers added - Kimbrel/Avilan/Varvaro/Walden are locked in, Wood should probably be in the minors and I don't have much confidence in Ayala or Carpenter or really anyone in the minors.

Knucksie
07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Isn't Oliver Perez somebody they tried to get previously?

stpeteirish
07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Saw a blurb on Uggla the other day on Roto:

Dan Uggla said Monday that the new prescription for his contacts have greatly improved his vision at the plate.Uggla has battled vision issues all year and will undergo Lasik surgery after the season is over. He's batted .277/.327/.574 with three homers and 12 RBI over his last 12 games, though, and gives plenty of credit to his new contacts. "There are some at-bats when it does not feel like it's quite there," Uggla said. "But more times than not, it's night-and-day different."

Now if someone wants Uggla, I still trade him....but maybe this was really his problem and he will be back to normal at the plate?

I think you have to be pretty naive to believe that Uggla's problem was this. He's had plenty of bad AB's since the new "eyes". I'm skeptical.

BRule
07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Not saying I believe BUT he was actually great in June.

250 / 394 / 452 / 847

Julio3000
07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
That's pretty much the line that I think we were hoping to see from him this year.

jason27nc
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Uggla is a likable player and I wish he would have a career 2nd half because with his struggles in Atlanta it would be bitter sweet for him.

ChapelHillMatt
07-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah Uggla always hustles, he has done better recently. Still is a boom or bust hitter though.

Knucksie
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
If MLBTR is thorough, then it looks like only the D-backs are in on Peavy, and the only name coming up is Delgado. Wren should at least kick the tires. As solid as the rotation seems to be, there would be question marks going into the second half and post-season. It's not known how Beachy will respond. Medlin isn't close to what he was a year ago. Minor is the only relatively sure thing. Wouldn't it make sense to consider an ace, like Peavy, if there's a chance to get him?

yeezus
07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Per Peter Gammons, "every GM ive talked to say the mariners want premier prospects for LHP rel. O. Perez, Furbush, B. Moran."
premier prospects??

nsacpi
07-12-2013, 11:11 AM
There are quite a few selling teams with competent relievers to trade. I think Wren should be patient. Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a buyers market. Wait until a trade or two has been made to get a sense of the market. We don't have to be the first unless it is a really good deal. And with Wood and possibly Maholm as options in the pen, we don't HAVE to make a deal.

zitothebrave
07-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Per Peter Gammons, "every GM ive talked to say the mariners want premier prospects for LHP rel. O. Perez, Furbush, B. Moran."
premier prospects??

Yeah, Mariners do that then settle at the deadline typically. not a horrible approach. Hope some teams overpays and then settle down, rarely hurts especially with a reliever since they have minimal value.

What's dumb is that the Mets and Twins won't consider trading Parnell or Perkins. Bad teams shouldn't hold onto top relievers. If the Braves start stinking we better ship Kimbrel off to the highest bidder.

yeezus
07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Mariners do that then settle at the deadline typically. not a horrible approach. Hope some teams overpays and then settle down, rarely hurts especially with a reliever since they have minimal value.

What's dumb is that the Mets and Twins won't consider trading Parnell or Perkins. Bad teams shouldn't hold onto top relievers. If the Braves start stinking we better ship Kimbrel off to the highest bidder.

agreed, and those two aren't even close to kimbrel. they're treating them like cornerstones.

cajunrevenge
07-12-2013, 02:38 PM
I dont think the need for a reliever is that great. What contender has a better big 3 in the pen that Kimbrel/Walden/Avilan? I use Wood in more high leverage situations. If need be use Beachy out of the pen. I think if we do make a trade its going to be for a marginal veteran reliever anyways.

emk418
07-12-2013, 02:43 PM
If Wren is only targeting a LH reliever I think he's making a mistake. We are in better shape than most teams with Avilan and Wood. I just think a set up man that can get both lefties and righties out consistently is what's needed. Regardless of what arm they throw with. Crain would be perfect if he's healthy.

Bye Week
07-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Oliver Perez would be an excellent pickup although his splits vs LHP are not as good. I like Matt Thornton too.

By the way this is Cokeman aka RHT10 from the Scout boards. pfiggy invited me to join this forum so I am in and done with the crap Scout boards.

zitothebrave
07-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard cokester

The Chosen One
Oliver Perez would be an excellent pickup although his splits vs LHP are not as good. I like Matt Thornton too.

By the way this is Cokeman aka RHT10 from the Scout boards. pfiggy invited me to join this forum so I am in and done with the crap Scout boards.

Welcome aboard! I was wondering who you were when I validated. WHYYY YOU MAKE SO DIFFICULT JUST MAKE IT RHT10 so everybody knows! :cooter:

Bye Week
Crain would be my #1 option if he is healthy by July 31st.

Bye Week
07-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Welcome aboard! I was wondering who you were when I validated. WHYYY YOU MAKE SO DIFFICULT JUST MAKE IT RHT10 so everybody knows! :cooter:

I am Bye Week on every other board that I'm, its my fantasy team names and my twitter handle. I'm trying to keep it easy for me.

The Chosen One
07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Well in that case, you've earned a Bye with me. :Bunchie1:

BRule
07-12-2013, 04:08 PM
premier prospects??

As they should, Perez has been amazing....pretty sure he is unscored on in 34 of his last 36 outings or something nuts. If a contending team needs a closer or setup man to get over the top, why not?

Would LOVE to get Perez, don't think we will get him though.

weso1
07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Has any team ever gotten a premier prospect for a loogy?

BRule
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Has any team ever gotten a premier prospect for a loogy?

He's not a LOOGY

weso1
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
He's not a LOOGY

For his career:

OPS vs LHB: .682

OPS vs RHB: .782

BRule
07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
For his career:

OPS vs LHB: .682

OPS vs RHB: .782

Wouldn't using the last 2 years be more relevant? Since that's when he's been pitching out of the pen?

2013 vs RH's : BAA of 171 and a OPS against of 588

2012 vs RH's : BAA of 204 and a OPS against of 541

elmonthc
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Id only trade for perez for him to pitch in games against the mets.

skidlee
07-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I still think Wren should look into really upgrading the rotation to be honest.

I just don't think its enough.

NinersSBChamps
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Who is out there for CF options? Jordan is out until possibly September. Throw in these injuries to our outfielders and we need some outside help.

skidlee
07-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Justin Ruggiano
Alejandro De Aza
Franklin Gutierrez
David DeJesus
Chris Denorfia
Rajai Davis
Endy Chavez
Dewayne Wise
Ryan Sweeney
Alex Rios

NinersSBChamps
07-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Justin Ruggiano
Alejandro De Aza
Franklin Gutierrez
David DeJesus
Chris Denorfia
Rajai Davis
Endy Chavez
Dewayne Wise
Ryan Sweeney
Alex Rios

Miami shouldn't trade him, but that doesn't mean anything. De Aza is a decent hitter, but awful with the glove. Gutierrez and De Jesus are both injured. Denorfia is intriguing and Rajai Davis would be awesome to add. Meh on the remainders and we can't afford Rios.

jason27nc
07-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Thornton is off the board. Boston just got him from the White Sox.

nsacpi
07-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Thornton is off the board. Boston just got him from the White Sox.

Looks like the price was a player similar to Lipka.

Jay212033
07-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Would you guy pull the trigger on this deal?

White Sox get:
Kris Medlen - RHP
J.R. Graham - RHP
Joey Terdoslovich - 1B/OF
Christian Bethancourt - C

Braves get:
Chris Sale - LHP

NinersSBChamps
07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I think we overpay a tad in that deal. I assume Graham is a decent prospect? I'd probably do that deal though.

Jay212033
07-13-2013, 07:28 PM
I think we overpay a tad in that deal. I assume Graham is a decent prospect? I'd probably do that deal though.

I think we'd have to overpay to get Sale imo. He's a TOR guy and pair him with Minor, Teheran and Beachy we'd be good for the next few years.

NinersSBChamps
07-13-2013, 07:34 PM
I think we'd have to overpay to get Sale imo. He's a TOR guy and pair him with Minor, Teheran and Beachy we'd be good for the next few years.

This rotation lacks a power arm and Sale fits that 100 percent. I just don't see us acquiring a starter right now.

Knucksie
07-13-2013, 07:42 PM

White Sox get:
Kris Medlen - RHP
J.R. Graham - RHP

Braves get:
Chris Sale - LHP

One of the reasons for getting away from The Other Place, besides PD's psychotic episodes, was to avoid dipsh*tted trade proposals.

TURBO
07-13-2013, 07:50 PM
One of the reasons for getting away from The Other Place, besides PD's psychotic episodes, was to avoid dipsh*tted trade proposals.

That was harsh, Why does it bother you so much. Just disagree and move on

skidlee
07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
not a bad deal but I don't think Wren pulls the trigger

Bye Week
07-13-2013, 08:01 PM

White Sox get:
Kris Medlen - RHP
J.R. Graham - RHP

Braves get:
Chris Sale - LHP

Yes, Sale is an ACE

thethe
07-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't think that will be enough to get Sale. I love the deal though. Sale is filthy. But, he is a huge injury concern.

ChapelHillMatt
07-13-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't think Chicago is trading Sale.

thethe
07-13-2013, 08:23 PM

I don't get the aggressive reply here.

ChapelHillMatt
07-13-2013, 08:27 PM

It's also not true.

The idea of this place is to be able to discuss anything you want without the fear of being banned for it.

Knucksie
07-13-2013, 08:41 PM

It's going to encourage more of the same. 99% of the trade proposals at Scout were a waste of time and bandwidth.

When the invitations went to head over to InVision, it was with the understanding that it was going to be different. If this is just going to be a relocated Scout site with trades proposals and fantasy league talk, then just let me know.

TURBO
07-13-2013, 08:44 PM
It's going to encourage more of the same. 99% of the trade proposals at Scout were a waste of time and bandwidth.

When the invitations went to head over to InVision, it was with the understanding that it was going to be different. If this is just going to be a relocated Scout site with trades proposals and fantasy league talk, then just let me know.

Its gonna be what anybody wants to talk about. Thats what a discussion board is for. Not for you to come be a complete tool. I hope you hang around, but if this is how you are, you wont be missed by me.

ChapelHillMatt
07-13-2013, 08:45 PM

A lot of us play fantasy, we most definitely will talk about that on here. There isn't going to be a ban on any particular topic.

Knucksie
07-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Not requesting a ban. Just wanted to know if that was going to be the form that discussions were going to take. Not my reason for visiting. It's been fun then.

thethe
07-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Not requesting a ban. Just wanted to know if that was going to be the form that discussions were going to take. Not my reason for visiting. It's been fun then.

I'm not really understanding why you would have to leave a board simply because you don't agree with peoples trade proposals. Don't you think it would be a better idea for you to just not read them and enjoy the rest of this great board?

The Chosen One
07-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Knucksie this is a forum for people to post whatever they want.

It's not going to be perfect and everything you read isn't going to please you but I'm not going to tell people how to post and neither should anyone else. I'm not sure what place you're looking for but this place is 100x better than scout.

ChapelHillMatt
07-13-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't enjoy every topic here but those posts I don't like I just don't read them or comment on them. Trade proposals (even the bad ones) promotes discussion. That's not a bad thing. I can't believe you are going to leave the board because of this.

The Chosen One
07-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Also, not sure what you mean by "this type of discussion". For every non-realistic trade proposal post, we have about 500 valid legitimate posts...

I don't want this place to be boring. This is a place to talk about our team, realistic or fantasy.

weso1
07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
If it gets out of hand a trade suggestion thread wouldn't be a bad idea, but it really hasn't been a problem yet. It's just one post. What a silly overreaction.

CyYoung31
07-13-2013, 09:42 PM

Actually, the motto of this place has always been that this was basically just going to be a relocated Scout, without the fear of being censored or banned. You clearly missed something.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpd46mewk51qd6k8fo1_500.gif

Jay212033
07-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Thank you! Wow it's just a proposal if anyone doesn't like it don't comment gee whiz!

Jay212033
07-13-2013, 10:56 PM
I mean all of this over a trade proposal?! Wow smh! If it's gonna cause a problem please delete the post man oh man!

ChapelHillMatt
07-13-2013, 10:57 PM
I mean all of this over a trade proposal?! Wow smh! If it's gonna cause a problem please delete the post man oh man!

You are fine, it's his problem, not yours

Funny thing is the proposal was actually a good one, lol

Jay212033
07-13-2013, 11:04 PM
You are fine, it's his problem, not yours

Funny thing is the proposal was actually a good one, lol

Thank you! I thought it was a realistic proposal and this is a trade deadline thread! I didn't make a new thread or anything like that I'm just stunned by the reaction of one poster.

yeezus
07-13-2013, 11:07 PM
I don't think there's even a slight chance Chicago makes that trade. No way.
Knucksie gotta chill.

NinersSBChamps
07-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Wow I went to sleep early and wake up to this. Goodness gracious.

drewdat
07-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Yankees get:

Uggla
BJ

Braves get:

Cano
Granderson
Robertson (6th inning guy)
$$$$$$$$

DO IT JS

yeezus
07-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Yankees get:

Uggla
BJ

Braves get:

Cano
Granderson
$$$$$$$$

DO IT JS

haha

sentenza
07-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Yankees get:

Uggla
BJ

Braves get:

Cano
Granderson
$$$$$$$$

DO IT JS

Murph?????

jgriff3029
07-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't even think Murph would propose this one. :icon_biggrin:

Carp
07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Yankees would probably have done this 4-5 years ago.

nsacpi
07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Bowden reports the Braves were one of four teams to ask the Twins about Perkins. The other teams were the Rangers, Red Sox and Diamondbacks. The Twins were not interested. I'm glad to see the Braves aiming high.

Would anyone offer Wood for Perkins?

Tapate50
07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Bowden reports the Braves were one of four teams to ask the Twins about Perkins. The other teams were the Rangers, Red Sox and Diamondbacks. The Twins were not interested. I'm glad to see the Braves aiming high.

Would anyone offer Wood for Perkins?

OOF. I wouldn't think so.

nsacpi
07-17-2013, 03:35 PM
OOF. I wouldn't think so.

I wouldn't do it either. But it is not crazy to think that it would cost a prospect of that caliber to get Perkins. Especially when you consider the team friendly contract Perkins is signed to.

So who is the highest rated Braves prospect that you would be willing to part with for Perkins.

TURBO
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't do it either. But it is not crazy to think that it would cost a prospect of that caliber to get Perkins. Especially when you consider the team friendly contract Perkins is signed to.

So who is the highest rated Braves prospect that you would be willing to part with for Perkins.

I would be willing to part ways with thethe

BravesBlock
07-17-2013, 07:48 PM
What about David Price at Tampa. Isn't he a free agent soon? Perhaps we could make a trade. Think they would take BJ back? 😳

bravesnumberone
07-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Are the Rays not in the middle of a pennant race?

Two things the Braves need: late-inning (preferably lefty) reliever and another bench bat, preferably left-handed or switch, who can play middle infield. Would also like a TOR starter, but don't see it happening, nor would there be room without significant roster re-working.

BravesBlock
07-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I think we are missing a TOR starter. Depending on who from our major league roster gets traded we should have enough depth to replenish the bullpen. I like our rotation but if it were game seven and you had to send out your TOR starter who would that be. The only person who could fill that role that I would trust is Tim Hudson but I don't even have faith in him in that type of scenario. Age has begun to catch up with him I'm afraid.

If I am the GM I go for a TOR starter at the deadline and another veteran reliever.

cajunrevenge
07-17-2013, 08:26 PM
If the Rays wouldnt sign BJ for 15 mill a year why would they change their mind after he has the worst half season of his career?

BravesBlock
07-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I was kidding. We are stuck with BJ for the next three years unless one of two things happen. He turns everything around and becomes a player worth the money he is being paid (which would make the majority of braves fans want to keep him) or we include a ton of cheap and desirable talent as a package.

But I wasn't kidding about Price. They may want more than just a draft pick as compensation and we do have the talent to make it worth their consideration.

Bottom line is I think we need a TOR starter and he is coming up for free agency soon.

Bdawg2309
07-17-2013, 09:18 PM
braves are interested in some cuban pitcher

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/miguel-alfredo-gonzalez-could-sign-next-week.html

cajunrevenge
07-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Says he could get up to 5 years 60 million. I have a hard time seeing the Braves giving out even half of that. With a contract like that you have to think he would not be long for the minors and would be expected to step into the rotation quickly. I predict the Cubs or Dodgers win the bidding. Heavily leaning towards Cubs.

VirginiaBrave
07-17-2013, 11:50 PM
I don't want Perkins. He's a closet Nats fan, even posts on wnff.net. I wouldn't trust him late against them.

nsacpi
07-18-2013, 10:21 AM
What about David Price at Tampa. Isn't he a free agent soon? Perhaps we could make a trade. Think they would take BJ back? ��

I think it makes a certain amount of sense to see if we can upgrade the starting pitching. We have five who have done a good job in the first half and Beachy coming back. And maybe Wood. But I think the team could still benefit from an upgrade. A horse like Price would make us a much more dangerous team in a short series. I don't think Price is available. But I would would kick the tires on Josh Johnson and James Shields. They haven't had their best season this year. Which to me might be a good thing. It would keep the price reasonable and I still like the upside of those two.

We might be facing the Dodgers in a five game series. I don't like the pitching matchups there. If Wren can change that for a reasonable price he should consider it.

nsacpi
07-18-2013, 11:28 AM
From mlbtraderumors.com

The Braves' priority is to add a left-handed reliever, writes MLB.com's Mark Bowman, with James Russell of the Cubs, Mike Gonzalez of the Brewers, and Wesley Wright of the Astros on their wish list. The Braves are more interested in Russell and Gonzalez, he adds.

The Braves' need for a southpaw reliever has increased with the plan to put Alex Wood in the starting rotation, possibly swapping roles with right-hander Kris Medlen. That would leave Luis Avilan as the only lefty in the Braves' pen, with Eric O'Flaherty and Jonny Venters both out for the season due to Tommy John surgery.

The Braves also seek a backup infielder to fill the void after the loss of Ramiro Pena to season-ending surgery; they'd prefer a left-handed hitter with more offense than Paul Janish.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
From mlbtraderumors.com

The Braves' priority is to add a left-handed reliever, writes MLB.com's Mark Bowman, with James Russell of the Cubs, Mike Gonzalez of the Brewers, and Wesley Wright of the Astros on their wish list. The Braves are more interested in Russell and Gonzalez, he adds.

The Braves' need for a southpaw reliever has increased with the plan to put Alex Wood in the starting rotation, possibly swapping roles with right-hander Kris Medlen. That would leave Luis Avilan as the only lefty in the Braves' pen, with Eric O'Flaherty and Jonny Venters both out for the season due to Tommy John surgery.

The Braves also seek a backup infielder to fill the void after the loss of Ramiro Pena to season-ending surgery; they'd prefer a left-handed hitter with more offense than Paul Janish.

If the Braves are seriously considering dropping Medlen from the rotation. Then why not try to package him in a trade for Headley? The Padres reportedly are open to trading him (according to a recent MLBTR report). Also, Medlen is from Cali and a good pitcher. So I'd think they'd have interest in him. Plus Medlen won't be happy about going back to bullpen.

Of course, I already suggested this to you privately. I'm just repeating it here based on this latest report.

emk418
07-18-2013, 11:42 AM
If the Braves are seriously considering dropping Medlen from the rotation. Then why not try to package him in a trade for Headley? The Padres reportedly are open to trading him (according to a recent MLBTR report). Also, Medlen is from Cali and a good pitcher. So I'd think they'd have interest in him. Plus Medlen won't be happy about going back to bullpen.

Of course, I already suggested this to you privately. I'm just repeating it here based on this latest report.

Completely agree. Moving Medlen to the pen is a complete waste of value. I have no problem removing him for Wood but Medlen needs to be traded. We could get a very good set up man plus at a minimum at top notch prospect.

nsacpi
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Wren could go in several directions. Some possibilities:

1) Just strengthen the bullpen, mainly by getting a lefty.

2) Trade for Headley or some other third baseman.

3) Upgrade the starting pitching.

The above are obviously not mutually exclusive.

emk418
07-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Wren could go in several directions. Some possibilities:

1) Just strengthen the bullpen, mainly by getting a lefty.

2) Trade for Headley or some other third baseman.

3) Upgrade the starting pitching.

The above are obviously not mutually exclusive.

Do you guys think Medlen gets us Headley since he's a free agent after the year? I would highly consider that.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Do you guys think Medlen gets us Headley since he's a free agent after the year? I would highly consider that.

I don't think Medlen alone would, no. But I do think we could possibly get Headley with a package built around Medlen.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 12:49 PM

I think Headley actually isn't a free-agent until after the 2014 season, but the Padres might consider it anyways with Headley's down year and Medlen's being under-contract through the 2015 season. And, despite being a big Medlen fan, I'd personally probably lean towards supporting the move, considering Headley's good defense at 3B, Johnson's terrible defense at 3B, and the likelihood he hits closer to his previous norms in the second-half.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I think Headley actually isn't a free-agent until after the 2014 season, but the Padres might consider it anyways with Headley's down year and Medlen's being under-contract through the 2015 season. And, despite being a big Medlen fan, I'd personally probably lean towards supporting the move, considering Headley's good defense at 3B, Johnson's terrible defense at 3B, and the likelihood he hits closer to his previous norms in the second-half.

Correct, Headley is a free agent in 2015 and Medlen is a year later.

emk418
07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Correct, Headley is a free agent in 2015 and Medlen is a year later.

With that being the case then I definitely would package Medlen with another piece for Headley.

tululush
07-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Also look at Headley's home/road splits. His numbers are supressed by PetCo. I say go get him and we fix our offensive woes a bit and turn 3rd base into a strength.

thethe
07-18-2013, 01:01 PM
With that being the case then I definitely would package Medlen with another piece for Headley.

You would have to then have another trade for Johnson. Makes no sense not to capitalize on his value right now. I bet the Yankees would give us something for him.

Enscheff
07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I doubt Medlen gets Headley. According to MTR:

"People who have spoken with San Diego have gotten the impression it would take a special prospect to make the Padres even think about trading their star player. In the case of the Yankees, they don't have that kind of prospect to give and they'll probably have to seek out a bat elsewhere"

The Braves certainly don't have any special prospects, and I seriously doubt Medlen qualifies. I was one of the people who thought Wren should have sold high on Medlen this offseason, so I would obviously jump at a Medlen/Headley deal. I would even do Medlen plus CJ for Headley, but I doubt the Padres do that.

Of course, Headley has a 644 OPS away from Petco this year, so last year could have been a flash in the pan for him.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:21 PM
You would have to then have another trade for Johnson. Makes no sense not to capitalize on his value right now. I bet the Yankees would give us something for him.

True, but one step at a time.

emk418
07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
True, but one step at a time.

I mean if he gets us something good then yes but he would be a great bat off the bench and spell Headley and Freeman.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I mean if he gets us something good then yes but he would be a great bat off the bench and spell Headley and Freeman.

Given the third base market and his career first half, you think he'd have as much value now than ever. So unless he was packaged in the same trade I'd guess he'd be moved should we trade for Headley.

nsacpi
07-18-2013, 01:30 PM
I doubt Medlen gets Headley. According to MTR:

"People who have spoken with San Diego have gotten the impression it would take a special prospect to make the Padres even think about trading their star player. In the case of the Yankees, they don't have that kind of prospect to give and they'll probably have to seek out a bat elsewhere"

The Braves certainly don't have any special prospects, and I seriously doubt Medlen qualifies. I was one of the people who thought Wren should have sold high on Medlen this offseason, so I would obviously jump at a Medlen/Headley deal. I would even do Medlen plus CJ for Headley, but I doubt the Padres do that.

Of course, Headley has a 644 OPS away from Petco this year, so last year could have been a flash in the pan for him.

I think Alex Wood would get us Headley.

thethe
07-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Trading Alex Wood would be a HUGE mistake.

First off, he will be dirt cheap for 3 years.

Secondly, the guy has sick stuff.

There is no way I am trading him for Headly and then having to pay him 12-15 million a year.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:33 PM

No doubt, but I don't want Headley that bad. I could see a number of packages including Medlen getting Headley. I also reject the notion that the Braves don't have any special prospects. Wood is a special prospect, but he's not the only one. The Braves have a lot better system of prospects than some give them credit, IMO.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Trading Alex Wood would be a HUGE mistake.

First off, he will be dirt cheap for 3 years.

Secondly, the guy has sick stuff.

There is no way I am trading him for Headly and then having to pay him 12-15 million a year.

I wouldn't take nsacpi's comment as suggesting trading Wood. He was likely just disputing the statement in the post concerning the Braves prospects (and using Wood as the best example to do so).

nsacpi
07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
I don't want to trade Wood either. I just wanted to make the point we have the means to trade for Headley. And also for David Price or some other top pitcher if we wanted to.

thethe
07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
No doubt, but I don't want Headley that bad. I could see a number of packages including Medlen getting Headley. I also reject the notion that the Braves don't have any special prospects. Wood is a special prospect, but he's not the only one. The Braves have a lot better system of prospects than some give them credit, IMO.

I just don't see 3B being that big of a need for the next 18 months honestly. If Headly was under control for another year or two I would consider trading our top prospects but I will just take Chris Johnson and try to improve the club elsewhere.

thethe
07-18-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't want to trade Wood either. I just wanted to make the point we have the means to trade for Headley. And also for David Price or some other top pitcher if we wanted to.

Yeah, I think any team would love to have Wood. You just don't see that kind of stuff from a left handed starting pitcher that often.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't want to trade Wood either. I just wanted to make the point we have the means to trade for Headley.

It's cool, I knew what you were doing. Good point too, IMO.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Considering the lingering shoulder issues and Wood's emergence (hiyo), how would people feel about Melden plus JR Graham for Headley and Joe Thatcher (or maybe Luke Gregerson)?

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I just don't see 3B being that big of a need for the next 18 months honestly. If Headly was under control for another year or two I would consider trading our top prospects but I will just take Chris Johnson and try to improve the club elsewhere.

I disagree, third base is one of the few positions we can upgrade now.

nsacpi
07-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Considering the lingering shoulder issues and Wood's emergence (hiyo), how would people feel about Melden plus JR Graham for Headley and Joe Thatcher (or maybe Luke Gregerson)?

I like this idea. Maybe us sending them a third baseman could be part of the deal, either Johnson or Salcedo.

I will say though that I think Medlen is going to pitch better going forward than he did in the first half. But you have to give up quality to get quality.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
The Red Sox have some spects at 3b in the minors. Eh?

Also, i don't think we would get a pick if we got Headly and he walked in the offseason.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
I like this idea. Maybe us sending them a third baseman could be part of the deal, either Johnson or Salcedo.

I will say though that I think Medlen is going to pitch better going forward than he did in the first half. But you have to give up quality to get quality.

True, I like Medlen but if we can move him in a package to fill a bigger need. I'd do it. I don't want two poor defenders at second and third in the playoffs. The playoffs tend to be more lower scoring games so defense is more important (our recent playoff history serves as a few good examples).

NYCBrave
07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Why do we want Headley? Outside of last year, his career has been average/below average. This year so far is showing that last year could have been a fluke. Plus he's 29 now, will be 30 next year. I don't see a need to upgrade over Johnson with someone who is not even an upgrade right now.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Why do we want Headley? Outside of last year, his career has been average/below average. This year so far is showing that last year could have been a fluke. Plus he's 29 now, will be 30 next year. I don't see a need to upgrade over Johnson with someone who is not even an upgrade right now.

Never got the love affair with Headley other than he had good peripherals and put together a good year last year that all the stat heads said they predicted.

jpx7
07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Also, i don't think we would get a pick if we got Headly and he walked in the offseason.

Good thing he's under contract for another year and a half, so he couldn't do that.

NYCBrave
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Never got the love affair with Headley other than he had good peripherals and put together a good year last year that all the stat heads said they predicted.

Right. I'd also like to hear someone defend his .680 OPS this year with over 300 ABs.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Right. I'd also like to hear someone defend his .680 OPS this year with over 300 ABs.

These questions were already covered in the recent CJ thread (click here (http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131&page=2&p=5492&viewfull=1#post5492)). I'd also add that Headley hit a large amount of his homeruns the second half last season (23 homeruns after All-Star break last year, etc). Plus Headley has been nothing short of great defensively at third this year.

JCarbo76
07-18-2013, 02:30 PM

Could not agree more. His career numbers are pretty dang indicative that his 2012 was an extreme flash in the pan. If you think Petco hurts him, consider this: His home slash line in 2013: .238/.354/.375. On the road he is hitting a whopping .219/301/.342.

Even if Headley was the second coming of Brooks Robinson defensively (which he isn't) I fail to see how he could be considered an upgrade over CJ, who is younger and not FA eligible until 2017.

JCarbo76
07-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Which numbers have been INFLATED (not deflated) by Petco.

No thanks.

Tapate50
07-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Good thing he's under contract for another year and a half, so he couldn't do that.

I meant walk as in exercise, light jog, etc... :pimp:

I don't follow below average 3b we have no shot of getting very closely.

PawPawMaxwell
07-18-2013, 03:13 PM
If my name was Wren and I really wanted to upgrade 3rd (down the road) I would offer Kimbrel for Castellanos and Rondon. But only if I truly believe Avilan and Walden can move up an inning.

Bdawg2309
07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
what ever happened to Olt??

BRule
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
what ever happened to Olt??

Health issues and had an issue with his eyes.

As far as Headley goes, are people just going to pretend like his injury wasn't a big deal? In July he's hitting 271 with a 817 OPS...he's going to be fine, it takes time to come back from a major injury and find your swing again.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
As far as Headley goes, are people just going to pretend like his injury wasn't a big deal? In July he's hitting 271 with a 817 OPS...he's going to be fine, it takes time to come back from a major injury and find your swing again.

Apparently so, I've noted this point (among others) being pretty much ignored by the anti-Headley crowd.

tvsportscaster
07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
From mlbtraderumors.com

How about James Russell, and Luis Valbuena from the Cubs. It fills both needs.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
How about James Russell, and Luis Valbuena from the Cubs. It fills both needs.

Valbuena isn't a suffice replacement for Pena at short, IMO. He's strong defensively at third, but he's not someone you want filling in at short for Simmons. I'm also not sold on his bat to be honest. So while an upgrade to Janish with the bat, he's a downgrade with the glove at short. Which matters more for a team that has bad defenders starting at second and third.

However, I am sure he'd be a major upgrade at third defensively. I really like his defense at third base (if he only hit better and was a better option at short).

Bj1133
07-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Valbuena isn't a suffice replacement for Pena at short, IMO. He's strong defensively at third, but he's not someone you want filling in at short for Simmons. I'm also not sold on his bat to be honest. So while an upgrade to Janish with the bat, he's a downgrade with the glove at short. Which matters more for a team that has bad defenders starting at second and third.

However, I am sure he'd be a major upgrade at third defensively. I really like his defense at third base (if he only hit better and was a better option at short).

You can live with the sub-par defense at short if it is only for a game or two. If Simmons were injured and had to be placed on the DL, you could just recall Janish to take his spot (I'm assuming Janish still has options)

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 06:26 PM
You can live with the sub-par defense at short if it is only for a game or two. If Simmons were injured and had to be placed on the DL, you could just recall Janish to take his spot (I'm assuming Janish still has options)

No thanks, I am not supporting downgrading further defensively (esp. since I am not even sold on Valbuena's bat). Besides, you can make that kind of argument for keeping Pastornicky over Janish too (and I'm more sold on Pastornicky's bat than I am Valbuena's). However, it is hard to get worse than Pastornicky at short. Bottom line, I want an actual shortstop backing up short (not a third baseman than can play it a game or two).

Note, if we had better defenders at second and third I'd look at it different. Also, I am pretty sure Janish is out of options but he'd likely clear waivers either way.

NYCBrave
07-18-2013, 06:37 PM

And what do you consider "going to be fine"? Before he broke out for 31 HR at age 28, his previous 3 years were 12, 11 and 4 (injury shortened). Too many question marks to give up something very valuable for him.

skidlee
07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
No thanks, I am not supporting downgrading further defensively (esp. since I am not even sold on Valbuena's bat). Besides, you can make that kind of argument for keeping Pastornicky over Janish too (and I'm more sold on Pastornicky's bat than I am Valbuena's). However, it is hard to get worse than Pastornicky at short. Bottom line, I want an actual shortstop backing up short (not a third baseman than can play it a game or two).

Note, if we had better defenders at second and third I'd look at it different. Also, I am pretty sure Janish is out of options but he'd likely clear waivers either way.

I don't believe Janish is out of options. I think he still had this year left where he can be moved up and down with no issues.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't believe Janish is out of options. I think he still had this year left where he can be moved up and down with no issues.

I was just going by a report I read before the season that stated that he'd have to pass through waivers. Personally, I don't see it as a concern either way. Luis Cruz was passed by every team before the Yankees signed him (and he's better than Janish).

tvsportscaster
07-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Janish was already down in the minor leagues once this year, and the Braves can send him down as many times as they want for the rest of the year. Options are seasons, not separate acts.

BRule
07-18-2013, 07:44 PM
And what do you consider "going to be fine"? Before he broke out for 31 HR at age 28, his previous 3 years were 12, 11 and 4 (injury shortened). Too many question marks to give up something very valuable for him.

270-275 hitter, 20-25 HRs, 15-20 steals with a 820-840 OPS, while playing gold glove D at 3b

skidlee
07-18-2013, 08:02 PM
While I would not mind Headly I don't think Wren should be focused on getting him over getting a LOOGY and a decent bench piece. I would even say upgrade the rotation before worrying about 3B. Now with that said and deal built around Medlen for Headly should be considered if its an option. I would not add much more then that because while Headly is a nice player he is numbers suggest he is flawed, just like Medlen.

tvsportscaster
07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I don't know why everybody is so keen on getting rid of Chris Johnson at 3B. That position is not anywhere close to being a problem right now. Focus on getting a lefty reliever, which I think will probably wind up being Mike Gonzalez and add that bench piece and go to war from there.

emk418
07-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I don't know why everybody is so keen on getting rid of Chris Johnson at 3B. That position is not anywhere close to being a problem right now. Focus on getting a lefty reliever, which I think will probably wind up being Mike Gonzalez and add that bench piece and go to war from there.

It's only a problem because he is an atrocious defender. Nothing to do with his bat.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Janish was already down in the minor leagues once this year, and the Braves can send him down as many times as they want for the rest of the year. Options are seasons, not separate acts.

No one was disputing that Janish was in the minors nor how options work.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 08:32 PM
It's only a problem because he is an atrocious defender. Nothing to do with his bat.

Exactly. Plus they ignore my point about low scoring games and the importance of defense in the playoffs too.

skidlee
07-18-2013, 08:33 PM

And his glove isn't so much of an issue that he has to be replaced because of it.

JCarbo76
07-18-2013, 08:40 PM
270-275 hitter, 20-25 HRs, 15-20 steals with a 820-840 OPS, while playing gold glove D at 3b

"Gold Glove defense"?

You're kidding, right? And, yeah, I know he won it last year, but it was a year when his Dwar was 0.0 and his defensive runs saved was a -3. As a comparison, Chipper at age 40 had a Dwar of 0.2 and saved 4 runs defensively.

He was about as deserving of a GG as was Rafael Palmeiro in 1999, when Raffy played a grand total of 28 games at 1B.

JCarbo76
07-18-2013, 08:45 PM

And the July version of Chris Johnson is hitting .358/.370/.491. Please explain the upgrade with an older, more expensive player.

Braves1976
07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Headley's 8 DRS so far this year ranks third in MLB among third basemen behind only Machado and Arenado. Machado is clearly the best at the position in MLB. But Headley is still great and only Arenado has been better in the NL so far this year.

chipchildress
07-18-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd like to use this forum to say that I have no faith in Frank Wren not to make a terrible trade. Although I've come to expect it's about that time for his annual future star pitcher giveaway for two months of garbage.

skidlee
07-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I'd like to use this forum to say that I have no faith in Frank Wren not to make a terrible trade. Although I've come to expect it's about that time for his annual future star pitcher giveaway for two months of garbage.

I might be late to the party on this but Wren makes pretty decent trades. He doesn't make good decisions on free agents.

Nerfherders
07-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Yep I'd say last year's deadline trade was pretty good.

Perfect Cell
07-19-2013, 12:22 AM

His track record skews to the good side more than bad. Even if the trade with Jeff Locke is now looking bad.

cajunrevenge
07-19-2013, 01:44 AM
What star pitchers has Wren traded?

Carp
07-19-2013, 04:39 AM
If you can get can Headley at a discounted price, you do it and don't think twice. May be a package centered around Wood?

Carp
07-19-2013, 04:43 AM
His track record skews to the good side more than bad. Even if the trade with Jeff Locke is now looking bad.

Took Locke quite a few yrs to figure it out as well. Players like Locke don't break out with teams like the Braves. B/c competitive teams don't have the luxury of waiting on them to develop for 7 yrs. People forget that we drafted him all the way back in 06.

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 07:32 AM
If you can get can Headley at a discounted price, you do it and don't think twice. May be a package centered around Wood?

Lord I hope not. I think we are going to need lots of Wood in the rotation.

skidlee
07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
How is trading Wood+ for Headley a discounted price?

Medlen and a reliever is a discount. Not a SP that is dirt cheap for the next 4-5 years. Plus whatever else is in the deal.

Dunit24
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Yeah we would be dumb to pass on Headley, or not go after him I should say. Some guys have unbelievably good yrs in a contract yr. Others have seasons like Headley where hes probably trying to do too much.

Id trade Medlen, Graham, Bethancourt for Headley in a heartbeat.

Simmons
Heyward
JUpton
Freeman
Headley
McCann
Uggla
Upton

It takes Chris Johnson out of the lineup, but Headley is an All-Star "caliber" 3B and a switch hitter. Id be all over this if I were Wren.

JCarbo76
07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah we would be dumb to pass on Headley, or not go after him I should say. Some guys have unbelievably good yrs in a contract yr. Others have seasons like Headley where hes probably trying to do too much.

Simmons
Heyward
JUpton
Freeman
Headley
McCann
Uggla
Upton

It takes Chris Johnson out of the lineup, but Headley is an All-Star "caliber" 3B and a switch hitter. Id be all over this if I were Wren.

Good grief. Please, no. Headley caught lightning in a bottle last year and has regressed a ton this season. Chris Johnson is : 1) a year younger, 2) THREE YEARS further removed from free agency, 3) cheaper and, most importantly, 4) no worse, if not a better player.

BRule
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
There's a reason teams want to trade the farm for Headley on a down year....and there's a reason Chris Johnson was an afterthought in the Upton trade.

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
There's a reason teams want to trade the farm for Headley on a down year....and there's a reason Chris Johnson was an afterthought in the Upton trade.

Yeah, but this year isn't that far "down" for headley. He hit 31 dingers and people started popping wood for the dude and now he is closer to his norms.

Johnson has been excellent so far. That said, i would trade him in a minute if we could sell very very high.

Johnson OPS

Headley

I don't see a whole lot of upgrade (at the cost of Meds or prospects)

BRule
07-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah, but this year isn't that far "down" for headley. He hit 31 dingers and people started popping wood for the dude and now he is closer to his norms.

Johnson has been excellent so far. That said, i would trade him in a minute if we could sell very very high.

I would say the 50 points in avg, 40 in OBP, 100 in slg and 100+ in OPS is kinda far off from were he should be. Unless you think he's a 230/330/359 hitter....

Perfect Cell
07-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I want to keep Bethancourt. Jmo

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
I would say the 50 points in avg, 40 in OBP, 100 in slg and 100+ in OPS is kinda far off from were he should be. Unless you think he's a 230/330/359 hitter....

Add that 100 up in OPS and he still falls short of CJ.

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Even with his down offensive season, Headley is having a better year than Johnson cause of DEFENSE! CLAP CLAP

The Chosen One
07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Even with his down offensive season, Headley is having a better year than Johnson cause of DEFENSE! CLAP CLAP

:cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::c ooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::coo ter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::coote r::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter: :cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::c ooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::coo ter::cooter:

Tapate50
07-19-2013, 10:06 AM

yeah, thats what this lineup needs. A guy having a low BA year. He would fit in nicely. Oh and he hits WORSE outside of Petco.

Its not like CJ's D has kept us from becoming a juggernaut.

Julio3000
07-19-2013, 10:09 AM
YEAH MR. ZITO! YEAH DEFENSE!

zitothebrave
07-19-2013, 10:10 AM
FWIW I'd only trade for Headley if they took Reed or Schafer (or used a 3 way deal) as leveraged value and we got a window to extend him. I don't think he's the missing piece to winning a championship and he's a FA after next season. I mean it would be a great trade to build a 2 year strong team. But I'd rather gun for someone in the rotation who's a true difference maker or a reliever.

JohnAdcox
07-19-2013, 10:10 AM

How is that a discount?

jpx7
07-19-2013, 10:15 AM
It's not like CJ's D has kept us from becoming a juggernaut.

It's nonetheless a potential area for improvement. If one thinks Johnson's BAbip recedes and his offensive production falls in the second-half, and likewise that Headley regresses towards his career averages (and thus hits a lot better in the second-half), then it's at least sensible to value the defensive improvement Headley would bring this season (and the next) even if their respective offensive production in the second-half remains about the same.

On the other hand, if one genuinely think the Braves will keep Chris Johnson as their starting third-basemen through the 2016 season, then it's sensible to value his being under contract (and thus cost-controlled) for an additional two seasons when compared to Headley.

BRule
07-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Of course but CJ isn't going to continue at this pace...he is not a 840 OPS guy. His previous high in AB's coming into this year is 378, his career OPS is 760. He is a nice player and I was a fan of getting him and I even said he would have a better year than Prado but Headley > Johnson.

Chico
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM
FWIW I'd only trade for Headley if they took Reed or Schafer (or used a 3 way deal) as leveraged value and we got a window to extend him. I don't think he's the missing piece to winning a championship and he's a FA after next season. I mean it would be a great trade to build a 2 year strong team. But I'd rather gun for someone in the rotation who's a true difference maker or a reliever.

Agreed. I'd be much more interested in getting a guy like Perkins or Sale.

thethe
07-19-2013, 10:48 AM
I want to keep Bethancourt. Jmo

Same here.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:06 PM
We don't have the prospects for Headley so not happening.

CJ isn't better than Headley but trading a haul for 1 1/2 months of Headley is dumb. If you wanna make a move for someone big, get a top notch ace.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Agreed. I'd be much more interested in getting a guy like Perkins or Sale.

Hell yes on Perkins.

Sale would cost Tex 2.0 and then some.

thethe
07-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Hell yes on Perkins.

Sale would cost Tex 2.0 and then some.

I wonder...

Medlen/Gattis(I know shocking)/Martin/Cabrera

Sale is that good. I am not even sure if that is enough.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Simmons
Heyward
JUpton
Freeman
Headley
McCann
Uggla
Upton

And what happens when he walks in 2 years for nothing.

Unless you get a window to extend him, nope.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:10 PM
I wonder...

Medlen/Gattis(I know shocking)/Martin/Cabrera

Sale is that good. I am not even sure if that is enough.

Swap Gattis for Heyward.......

thethe
07-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Swap Gattis for Heyward.......

Nobody is going to trade that much...but they will try to get it.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Nobody is going to trade that much...but they will try to get it.

I don't see us getting Sale without giving up a huge piece like that.

He's a legit #1.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Probably need another high leverage arm for the pen.

I think Varvaro/Carpenter will regress a bit in the 2nd half.

Maybe a bench bat too, still not sure why we let go of Francisco but it is what it is.

But we will get Schafer back in 3 weeks.

Heyward
07-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Of course but CJ isn't going to continue at this pace...he is not a 840 OPS guy. His previous high in AB's coming into this year is 378, his career OPS is 760. He is a nice player and I was a fan of getting him and I even said he would have a better year than Prado but Headley > Johnson.

Most agree Headley > CJ, but we don't have the chips to land Headley.

And unless we got a window to sign him, it would be stupid since he'd walk in a few years anyway.

Carp
07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
How is trading Wood+ for Headley a discounted price?

Medlen and a reliever is a discount. Not a SP that is dirt cheap for the next 4-5 years. Plus whatever else is in the deal.

Whats the likelihood that Wood is ever better than Medlen? Not very good. If you can get a stud hitter on a discount, you have to go for it. This time 6 months ago, it would have took a similar package to what we have up for J-Up in order to get Headley

Carp
07-20-2013, 12:08 AM
yeah, thats what this lineup needs. A guy having a low BA year. He would fit in nicely. Oh and he hits WORSE outside of Petco.

Its not like CJ's D has kept us from becoming a juggernaut.

He had a putrid June which tanked his overall numbers. Outside June he's been very good.

And this is basically the first time he's ever hit worse on the rd than at home. Had .900 OPS and .860 OPS away from PetCo the last 2 yrs. I'd say that holds more merit than the 40 odd games he's played on the rd this yr.

Tapate50
07-20-2013, 06:43 AM
He had a putrid June which tanked his overall numbers. Outside June he's been very good.

And this is basically the first time he's ever hit worse on the rd than at home. Had .900 OPS and .860 OPS away from PetCo the last 2 yrs. I'd say that holds more merit than the 40 odd games he's played on the rd this yr.

Wood appears to be a stud prospect and its not at all crazy that he can be better than Medlen.

It's an overpay and why we won't get him so let's move on. Our 3b is fine and still raking.

chipchildress
07-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Yep I'd say last year's deadline trade was pretty good.

did you forget about the raping of a trade he wanted to make? last year may have worked out ok because ryan demster made saved his bacon.

chipchildress
07-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Whats the likelihood that Wood is ever better than Medlen? Not very good. If you can get a stud hitter on a discount, you have to go for it. This time 6 months ago, it would have took a similar package to what we have up for J-Up in order to get Headley

NO NO NO NO NO. stop giving away good young pitchers for guys that used to be good. on top of that, the current third baseman in atlanta is about their best player.
if you trade anybody figure out how to get a second baseman or a center fielder in return. if you must trade away good young pitching, find a way to have uggla's or bj's contract included with it.

chipchildress
07-20-2013, 07:03 AM
And what happens when he walks in 2 years for nothing.

Unless you get a window to extend him, nope.

on top of that, this current team doesn't need a third baseman. chris johnson continues to impress and is one of the few guys in the lineup that can be counted on at this point. it makes zero sense to give away so much for what would likely not improve the team at all this season.

but more imporantly, please please please no rick ankiel like moves. there's a reason why teams like the cardinals are alway good. they don't trade away guys that have big upsides that are young for rick ankiel.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 07:21 AM
I just don't get why we have to go get Headley. If CJ wasn't hitting it would be a different story but he is.

We need a TOR starting pitcher before we need a new 3B.

thethe
07-20-2013, 07:25 AM
I just don't get why we have to go get Headley. If CJ wasn't hitting it would be a different story but he is.

We need a TOR starting pitcher before we need a new 3B.

I agree. 3B isn't the position where we should blow our wad.

CJ is not bad at all. He is under control and won't demand a large salary number through arby.

I would still want a bullpen arm if the price for a top starter is too much but I am in agreement with you Sid. I have a feeling Jake Peavy is going to be a Brave.

Peavy plus 5 million for Medlen/Martin/Kubitza

I don't want to give up Martin but with Peavy here next year it will give the organziation another year to not worry about filling a SP role.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 07:31 AM
They are going to get another lefty RP. Just be shocked it that doesn't happen. I would bet its Mike Gonzalez.

I think you can add someone else and not give up Martin. The White Sox just got a real toolsy guy for Thronton so I could see them liking Lipka.

I would love to get Peavy and Crain. Medlen, Lipka, Gerrian, Kubitza then Trade Hale for Gonzo.

thewupk
07-20-2013, 07:31 AM
NO NO NO NO NO. stop giving away good young pitchers for guys that used to be good. on top of that, the current third baseman in atlanta is about their best player.
if you trade anybody figure out how to get a second baseman or a center fielder in return. if you must trade away good young pitching, find a way to have uggla's or bj's contract included with it.

By that do you mean he has the best batting average? Because that's about it. He has been the 3rd best hitter on the team to this point (key phrase is to this point) and not even close to the top when you consider defense and base running.

Johnson is a decent player and a cost controlled player so I see no reason in upgrading him right now unless something falls in our lap. That's something the team can keep exploring through next season before 2016 when he won't be a cost controlled player. There really is nobody on the offense we should be thinking about replacing right now. Yes BJ is struggling really bad. But he's not going anywhere. Uggla isn't living up to his contract but they aren't going to replace him either in the middle of the year. And with 18 homers and a really good walk rate he has been decent this year.

The only thing I see this team doing is adding more depth to the bullpen. They will inquire about the best starters available to see what might happen there but there is really no need there since we have Beachy coming back to help the rotation.

To look at this from another angle.

The Braves have 16.1 WAR from their position players which is FIRST in the NL. This combines hitting, base running, and defense. And offensively they are 2nd in the NL behind the Cards with a 104 WRC+. You can argue about batting average, strikeouts, and consistency but our group is really really good.

The Braves rotation has a 3.61 ERA which is good for 6th in the NL. The group has been dominant at times and shaky at times. Hopefully Beachy returning will help out and share the load with Julio so we don't push him too high with his innings. Replacing Maholm with a better starter would be nice as well but more of a luxury than a necessity as he is a solid starter.

The Braves pen have a 2.61 era and is the best in the NL yet again. This is despite two injuries to key members of the pen which has been amazing. Still I would like to see some more depth added to the pen because you can never have enough. I want a shut down loogy the most and I suspect some depth of some kind is the trade we are most likely to see.

That being said. This team is in great shape going forward the rest of the year assuming we don't take any hits on the injury list.

Our position players are top notch, our pen is top notch, and our rotation is good.

thethe
07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
They are going to get another lefty RP. Just be shocked it that doesn't happen. I would bet its Mike Gonzalez.

I think you can add someone else and not give up Martin. The White Sox just got a real toolsy guy for Thronton so I could see them liking Lipka.

I would love to get Peavy and Crain. Medlen, Lipka, Gerrian, Kubitza then Trade Hale for Gonzo.

I worry about Peavy's health but that might be a great scenario if it played out like that.

Tapate50
07-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I worry about Peavy's health but that might be a great scenario if it played out like that.

Peavy is a pure dice roll from a health standpoint. Just spooky scary to me.

nsacpi
07-20-2013, 08:13 AM
I'd kick the tires on Peavy, Josh Johnson, James Shields. The first two are high risk/high reward. The price might be reasonable.

BRule
07-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Toronto already said JJ isn't moving and KC isn't moving Shields they traded Meyers to get him. Peavy, I'd take but wouldn't give up much, since he's likely to end up on the DL, again.

The Chosen One
07-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Wasn't Peavy in the latest Bourne movie?

Heyward
07-20-2013, 10:00 AM
No thanks on Peavy.

Johnson isnt better than our current starters.

KC isnt moving Shields.

If we're dealing with Chw, get Crain. A high leverage BP arm is more important over a SP.

CyYoung31
07-20-2013, 10:09 AM
on top of that, this current team doesn't need a third baseman. chris johnson continues to impress and is one of the few guys in the lineup that can be counted on at this point. it makes zero sense to give away so much for what would likely not improve the team at all this season.

but more imporantly, please please please no rick ankiel like moves. there's a reason why teams like the cardinals are alway good. they don't trade away guys that have big upsides that are young for rick ankiel.

The Braves aren't always good?

I find it strange that you would throw out the Ankiel trade as an example of a bad Braves deal.

nsacpi
07-20-2013, 10:28 AM
xFIP numbers 2011, 2012 and so far 2013

Josh Johnson 3.32, 3.73, 3.56

Mike Minor 3.62, 4.32, 3.58

Tim Hudson 3.49, 4.10, 3.67

Paul Maholm 4.03, 3.84, 3.77

Julio Teheran 3.84 (2013)

Kris Medlen 2.97 (2012), 4.07 (2013)

Braves1976
07-20-2013, 02:39 PM
The main reason to upgrade third is for the playoffs. The Braves recent playoff history is telling in this area. In other words, it's a good example of how costly bad defense is come playoff time. We'll have lower scoring games and face better pitchers in the playoffs. So an error or play not made by CJ could be very costly.

PawPawMaxwell
07-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Last coupla starts Maholm has looked pretty pedestrian. Lost some trade value today and I wonder how many millions hes lost on next contract.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Last coupla starts Maholm has looked pretty pedestrian. Lost some trade value today and I wonder how many millions hes lost on next contract.

He didn't have much trade value,to begin with.

Hopefully Beachy replaces him assuming he's ready of course and has no setbacks.

thethe
07-20-2013, 07:17 PM
The important thing is not to freak out. Braves are still a really good team and only tweaks need to be made. When Jason comes back and hits this is going to be a fun second half.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 07:19 PM
The important thing is not to freak out. Braves are still a really good team and only tweaks need to be made. When Jason comes back and hits this is going to be a fun second half.

Yup, ideally I'd like 2 bullpen arms but one will do and that's the biggest hole.

Jesse Crain is ideal depending on cost.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Yup, ideally I'd like 2 bullpen arms but one will do and that's the biggest hole.

Jesse Crain is ideal depending on cost.

yeah I would like to drop one of Varvaro and Carpenter. One of them as the 7th man is good.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 07:52 PM
yeah I would like to drop one of Varvaro and Carpenter. One of them as the 7th man is good.

Probably Carpenter, he's pitched over his head this year.

Varvaro has decent stuff at least.

tvsportscaster
07-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Take it for what its worth, but this tweet came from a Minneapolis sports writer.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson7m
Partial list of teams with scouts at Target Field tonight: Red Sox, #Braves, & #Phillies.

CrimsonCowboy
07-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Take it for what its worth, but this tweet came from a Minneapolis sports writer.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson7m
Partial list of teams with scouts at Target Field tonight: Red Sox, #Braves, & #Phillies.

I wonder who the attraction is

tvsportscaster
07-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I wonder who the attraction is

Yeah, outside of Glen Perkins I don't have a clue. I just looked at their roster and I can't imagine who Atlanta would be looking at besides Perkins.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah, outside of Glen Perkins I don't have a clue. I just looked at their roster and I can't imagine who Atlanta would be looking at besides Perkins.

Brian Duensing

Not saying I want him just saying he is a lefty and the braves could be interested.

I hope not

Heyward
07-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Brian Duensing

Not saying I want him just saying he is a lefty and the braves could be interested.

I hope not

He's not awful but yeah outside of Perkins I don't know.

Braves1976
07-20-2013, 09:41 PM
They might be looking at one of their infielders to back-up short and third.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 09:42 PM
They might be looking at one of their infielders to back-up short and third.

Pastor/Janish is plenty good enough.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Its been said that they are looking for a inf that bats left handed

tvsportscaster
07-20-2013, 09:46 PM

And the Twins don't fit that quota. That's why its hard to imagine another match outside of Duesing or Perkins.

Braves1976
07-20-2013, 09:51 PM

If you combine them, sure. But there's no room for both once we're healthy again. Janish cannot hit and Pastornicky can hit but isn't good enough to be a regular back-up at short. Plus he's never played third before either.

It's been reported that they're looking into a back-up infielder similar to Pena. I am not sure the Twins have someone that fits though. But it's hard to get worse than Janish with the bat.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 09:51 PM

We had that in Francisco but I know...

skidlee
07-20-2013, 10:08 PM
We had that in Francisco but I know...

Sorry but not really

He isn't missed.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Sorry but not really

He isn't missed.

Just off the bench, he is.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Just off the bench, he is.

If he could play more then 3rd he would still be here.

Braves1976
07-20-2013, 10:23 PM
If he could play more then 3rd he would still be here.

He can, he's done very well at first for the Brewers (even better than I expected). He's pretty much a first baseman now with the Brewers (rarely plays third for them). He also had a .852 OPS so far with the Brewers going into tonight.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 10:25 PM
He can, he's done very well at first for the Brewers (even better than I expected). He's pretty much a first baseman now with the Brewers (rarely plays third for them). He also had a .852 OPS so far with the Brewers going into tonight.

This.

He never really got the chance to play 1st with the Braves and Freeman is usually there but still...

Would of been nice to keep him, still on pace for 20+ HR's.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 10:40 PM
We don't need a 1b. If he could play 2b, ss, and 3rd he would still be here.

And he has had some very bad errors with the brewers.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 10:55 PM
We don't need a 1b. If he could play 2b, ss, and 3rd he would still be here.

And he has had some very bad errors with the brewers.

He can play 3B, he's better defensively than CJ.

skidlee
07-20-2013, 11:08 PM
not by much

and with as much has this team strikes out give more ABs to Juan would not have been a smart idea

He isn't missed.

zitothebrave
07-21-2013, 07:54 AM
not by much

and with as much has this team strikes out give more ABs to Juan would not have been a smart idea

He isn't missed.

While Juan doesn't have much of a sample size to judge on defense, he's around average. Johnson's defense at 3B costs around 15 runs. So you're looking at over a course of the season Juan saving at least 10 more runs than Johnson.

Tapate50
07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
MLB.com's Peter Gammons was told that the Dodgers are prepared to offer Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez a contract in the five-year, $50 million range, which is expected to be enough to sign him.
"Word is Dodgers will go five years, close to $50 million," a general manager told Gammons. "If so, he'll be a Dodger." Gonzalez, a 26-year-old right-hander, left Cuba earlier this year and was declared a free agent by MLB on Monday. He's expected to be nearly major league-ready but seems unlikely to make an impact this season. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins have also been connected to him.

tvsportscaster
07-21-2013, 08:52 AM
MLB.com's Peter Gammons was told that the Dodgers are prepared to offer Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez a contract in the five-year, $50 million range, which is expected to be enough to sign him.
"Word is Dodgers will go five years, close to $50 million," a general manager told Gammons. "If so, he'll be a Dodger." Gonzalez, a 26-year-old right-hander, left Cuba earlier this year and was declared a free agent by MLB on Monday. He's expected to be nearly major league-ready but seems unlikely to make an impact this season. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins have also been connected to him.

When the Dodgers really want somebody, no one is going to be able to outbid them, so they will in all likelihood get whoever they want.

Tapate50
07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I posted that because it seeme like we were really hot on this guy compared to other IF type guys. No one has really put out a scouting report on his stuff though.

tvsportscaster
07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Just wanted to mention, that the Garza could possibly affect the Braves. Now that the Cubs are getting Olt back from the Rangers to play 3B. Does that now make Luis Valbuena expendable, and if so, perhaps a Jeff Russell/Luis Valbuena trade to Atlanta. Just thinking out loud here.

CrimsonCowboy
07-22-2013, 07:02 PM
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m

Braves continue pursuit of LH relievers including: Oliver Perez SEA; Mike Dunn MIA, Glen Perkins (unlikely), Scott Downs and James Russell

Heyward
07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m

Braves continue pursuit of LH relievers including: Oliver Perez SEA; Mike Dunn MIA, Glen Perkins (unlikely), Scott Downs and James Russell

The latter 4 since they arent one yr rentals.

Perkins would cost too much.

Bye Week
07-22-2013, 07:15 PM
No Mike Dunn please.

Perfect Cell
07-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Im actually fine brining dunn back

emk418
07-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Anybody know what type of contract Aramis Ramirez has? He's obviously a huge injury risk but he's still an impact bat when healthy. I know we need a leadoff hitter but a healthy Aramis could be a nice addition to the lineup for the stretch run.

Tapate50
07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
I'll take Ollie for 1,000 Alex

Heyward
07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Anybody know what type of contract Aramis Ramirez has? He's obviously a huge injury risk but he's still an impact bat when healthy. I know we need a leadoff hitter but a healthy Aramis could be a nice addition to the lineup fo

r the stretch run.

3B is not a problem!

Hes owed like 25+ mil for next two years i think.

skidlee
07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15: mutual option ($4M buyout)

Thats his contract

He really isn't what we need.