PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Get Me An Obama Tree!

acesfull86
09-25-2013, 06:36 PM
DENVER (CBS4) – Stimulus funds aimed at jump starting the economy paid for about 4,000 trees in Denver, with many ending up at million dollar homes in Denver’s priciest neighborhoods where residents acknowledge they could have paid for their own trees, but the government was giving them out for free, so why bother?

“This fella said, ‘How would you like to have a tree in your yard?’ And I said, ‘Really?,’ “ said John Backlund, who lives in Denver’s Cherry Creek North neighborhood in a home worth more than $700,000.

Backlund said he could afford to buy his own trees but a government worker was going door-to-door trying to give away trees, so Backlund agreed to take a tree.

“Too good of a deal to say no to. I was happy to get the free tree,” he said.

A CBS4 investigation found that the tree program had no income guidelines, so trees ended up being planted at homes in Denver’s Country Club neighborhood, Hilltop, Belcaro and Washington Park neighborhoods — all considered upscale areas of the city.

Davis said the program spent about $600,000 in funds from the America Recovery and Reinvestment Act, also known as stimulus funds, to buy and plant the trees. Davis says the theory was that using government funds to plant the trees helped stimulate the economy by creating jobs planting trees.

57Brave
09-25-2013, 07:45 PM
apparently someone grew the tree to sell . Someone transported the tree to it's destination -- someone else un- loaded the tree and obviously someone planted the tree.
My guess is someone came by the next day to water the tree

After each of these 5 people performed this duty x number of times they went to the grocery store -the clothing store - maybe bought a pizza for the kids . Probably paid the electric bill, put gas in the truck and sure do hope they bought themselves a pint cause when I plant trees my back gets sore.

that night they slept good because I know when I had no job I never slept well.

down the road the trees will grow and will have to be maintained by someone and will probably add to the value of the neighbor hood. Because neighborhoods with trees are far more valuable with trees than without - but a savvy poster like you already knows that.

acesfull86
09-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Man, you really don't require much justification for taking money out of the pockets of some people and spreading it around to others, do you? This is part of what I mean when I say that there is a lack of respect for the taxpayer in this country.

I'd type a longer response, but I have to get going to work -- apparently there are landscaping costs for millionaires that I need to help subsidize!

57Brave
09-26-2013, 07:02 AM
would you care to guess what a taxpayers contribution is to planting a tree? A quarter maybe ...

What you see as "taking the money out of peoples pockets" I see as an investment in our society. I think of my $0.25 investment as well spent

Tapate50
09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Yeah, but what kinda tree is it?

sturg33
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM
apparently someone grew the tree to sell . Someone transported the tree to it's destination -- someone else un- loaded the tree and obviously someone planted the tree.
My guess is someone came by the next day to water the tree

After each of these 5 people performed this duty x number of times they went to the grocery store -the clothing store - maybe bought a pizza for the kids . Probably paid the electric bill, put gas in the truck and sure do hope they bought themselves a pint cause when I plant trees my back gets sore.

that night they slept good because I know when I had no job I never slept well.

down the road the trees will grow and will have to be maintained by someone and will probably add to the value of the neighbor hood. Because neighborhoods with trees are far more valuable with trees than without - but a savvy poster like you already knows that.

This is the funniest post I've read in some time

Metaphysicist
09-26-2013, 09:25 AM
As far as misuse of stimulus funds goes, I think you can probably find something much more egregious than green space development.

EDIT: Also, SteakSauce may have put it bit mawkishly, but he is correctly describing the way stimulus is supposed to work. If you want to complain about the mere existence of the stimulus, I suggest you go back to 2008-2009 and complain there.

acesfull86
09-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I did complain about the stimulus in 08-09...but I'm not going to stop when the hits keep on coming. 5 years into Obama's admin and that doesn't stop people from complaining about Bush.

I never thought I'd see the day where people on the left would defend taking taxpayer dollars to give rich people free trees. Wow.

57Brave
09-26-2013, 10:16 AM
The phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" would apply here

acesfull86
09-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Installing a solar panel on the roof of every house in America would create jobs and further green energy, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a stupid, grossly inefficient use of taxpayer dollars.

Metaphysicist
09-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I did complain about the stimulus in 08-09...but I'm not going to stop when the hits keep on coming. 5 years into Obama's admin and that doesn't stop people from complaining about Bush.

I never thought I'd see the day where people on the left would defend taking taxpayer dollars to give rich people free trees. Wow.

This is gonna blow your mind, but... I don't actually base my opinions on whether something is good or bad for "rich people."

The Chosen One
09-26-2013, 12:52 PM
I just hope these trees were the right height.

57Brave
09-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Down the road investing in solar panels for each house might save us trillions -- .

Just curious and a serious question,
Why are you against We the People investing in each other?
Using our tree example - you never did say what each of our tax contribution was for planting those trees. How much of your hard earned money actually was stolen from you - and
Can you give a guesstimate on how much return came out of that small investment

This is why I think I was wrong all those years ago about the mandatory draft. There is no sense of we rise and fall together like there seemed to be when everyone was required at some point in their lives to come face to face with people they wouldn't normally come face to face with. Shoot me n Wilbo might have been friends all those years ago!

sturg33
09-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Why do you insist on "we the people" all the time?

It's not "we" making these decisions. It's "the government" and they are separate entities. You keep saying we can vote them out... Well, the person I voted for isn't in congress - so I guess my say isn't being taken.

Lastly, congress has like a 20% approval rating. The majority of Americans disagree with almost everything they do. This isn't "we" it's "them" and it never changes no matter who is in power.

CK86
09-26-2013, 02:46 PM
A quarter here, a quarter there and all the sudden I don't have any quarters left over for myself. I'm all for contributing to society but seriously, trees for rich people? Seriously?

57Brave
09-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Why do you insist on "we the people" all the time?

It's not "we" making these decisions. It's "the government" and they are separate entities. You keep saying we can vote them out... Well, the person I voted for isn't in congress - so I guess my say isn't being taken.

Lastly, congress has like a 20% approval rating. The majority of Americans disagree with almost everything they do. This isn't "we" it's "them" and it never changes no matter who is in power.

Just a shot in the dark here but I am guessing that 20% (actually about 7) approval rating owes in part to voting over 40 times to repeal a law that 1) passed both houses of congress b) was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court c) signed by the President d) has been in effect for close to 3 years now. While not doing anything of substance since -- well passing the ACA.

One of the realities of adulthood is sometimes you get voted down. Happens -- doesn't mean the system doesn't work it means that you are in the minority in a majority based system. Not sure what you are trying to say -- you are not expected to live by rules you disagree with? How old are you really? 8?

"We the People in order ..." is the preamble to a document that sort of constitutes our system of government. Thus, the government

57Brave
09-26-2013, 08:14 PM
...and the more I think of it I find it outrageously disingenuous to point to "Congress' approval rating" to justify why government doesn't work and think it shows a glaring ignorance of civics and constitutional gubernment.

The history of the Congressional Approval stems from Watergate where Nixon White House in order to try to sway public opinion thought if they could pit the public against the "Congress" he could get away with illegally bombing Cambodia over Christmas 1971. Bet you didnt know that is what the grounds for impeachmentr. Fact of the matter is the Watergate breakin had no legal bearing on the impeachment. Yes, Nixon violated a Congressional vote and bombed anyway. Just like Reagan ignored Congress and traded arms for hostages with Iran to supply the Nicaraguan monsters with arms to fight back the Sandanistas. Actually, Reagan commited 2 impeachable crimes. Still not sure why he was given a second chance. Probably "Congressional Leaders" -Tip O'Neil and Ted Kennedy among them thought ---what for-- what is there to be gained by putting the country and a lame duck President through this when he will be out of office within a year and a half. Advise not heeded 10 years later.

Lets look at todays Congress. By design, Congress is not popular. The people of Louisiana have far different interests than the people of say -- Idaho. Just like today, legislators from New Jersey have an interest in getting relief from Hurricane Sandy when legislators from Oklahoma see no need. Thus, Congress has different and competing constituencies.
Congress is also a breeding ground for Presidential wannbe's,charlatans,demagogues and crooks. Of all parties.
congress has everyone from Barbara Lee to Ted Curz -from the same state. Elizabeth Warrewn and David Vitter. But, what sturg and others who point out the un-likability of Congress is each and every member has won election to their seat - in a prescribed and constitutional manner.

We could go on to the gerrymandering of districts (the preferred method used by both parties - when given the opportunity) where yes the House of Representatives is controlled by (R) yet, (D) collected many more votes. Which I think is an unintended point sturg made.

Like it or not these are the decisions our elected officials make. I thought the resolution to give Bush carte blanche in Iraq was outragious. But, never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider defaulting on our debt to make the point. Neither did the party out of power at the time.
Be carefull when making the blanket statement of"Congress' Approval rating"

edit:
Jason Heyward has 3 doubles and a HR in 5 innings. Don't think I've ever seen that before

acesfull86
09-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Just curious and a serious question,
Why are you against We the People investing in each other?
Using our tree example - you never did say what each of our tax contribution was for planting those trees. How much of your hard earned money actually was stolen from you - and
Can you give a guesstimate on how much return came out of that small investment

"I don't want government spending tax dollars to plant trees in wealthy neighborhoords" =/= "I'm against people investing in each other"

Actually, for a $10 membership, you can get 10 trees planted (http://www.arborday.org/shopping/memberships/memberships.cfm) in your yard or in one of our nation's forests.

We can play the "it only cost a nickel from every taxpayer!" game all day...like CK said, the quarters add up after a while.

I'm not going to get into an internet **** wagging contest about how much time/money I donate, but suffice to say I think there are plenty of ways to contribute to society and help your neighbors privately that don't involve the federal government. Like donating $10 to the Arbor Day Foundation to get 10 trees planted somewhere. I guess that's where we'll never see eye to eye.

57Brave
09-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Heyward just beat out an infield single to boot.

Was just thinking the other day it would have been a really good idea to leave the worst economic crash since the Great Depression to donations to the "Arbor Day foundation"

gotchya

CK86
09-26-2013, 09:15 PM

Was just thinking the other day it would have been a really good idea to leave the worst economic crash since the Great Depression to donations to the "Arbor Day foundation"

gotchya

Well clearly planting trees has worked out so much better for the economy. Plant MOAR trees.

acesfull86
09-26-2013, 09:18 PM

gotchya

I think I need to find goldfly's GIF of that Jacksonville fan...

57Brave
09-26-2013, 09:41 PM
let me again point out -- your are missing the forest for the trees

goldfly
09-27-2013, 02:22 AM
actually, i think solar panels on all houses would be a really good idea or at least a step in the right direction in this country

I would much rather our tax money going to these types of things than the military industrial complex/privatization of prisons/drug war/militarizing our police/ socializing losses and privatizing losses of big business etc etc etc

acesfull86
09-27-2013, 05:38 AM
let me again point out -- your are missing the forest for the trees

I'm not missing anything, I just don't agree with you that this is a proper function of government. But because you only see things through that paradigm, you accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being ignorant.

57Brave
09-27-2013, 06:00 AM
no, not ignorant - just easily swayed and not curious

Here is pages of critiques of the Recovery Act.
Take into account there are those that will oppose Obama should he say the sun rises in the east.

https://www.google.com/#q=did+the+stimulus+work