PDA

View Full Version : My Big, Fat Second Guess

rico43
07-31-2017, 03:02 PM
I do give myself credit for grumbling about this at the time...

Coming out of spring training, the Braves elected to send right-handed reliever David Hernandez to Gwinnett to be their closer instead of keeping him -- even though he had a clause in his contract that, if he wasn't recalled by May 1, he could become a free agent.

In the month of April, easily the best month the G-Braves had, Hernandez pitched in seven games, going 1-0, 1.12 with four saves. He allowed one run in his eight innings of work. But come May 1, nothing, so Hernandez bolted.

It took only days for the Angels to sign him. In 38 games, he was a strong 1-0, 2.23 with a save. In 36 innings, he struck out 37 as opposed to eight walks (29 hits) and he's just been dealt to the Diamondbacks. Could've kept him since Opening Day, could've called him up May, could've traded for him today. Yet the Braves still have their sorry current bullpen.

zbhargrove
07-31-2017, 03:33 PM
I do give myself credit for grumbling about this at the time...

Coming out of spring training, the Braves elected to send right-handed reliever David Hernandez to Gwinnett to be their closer instead of keeping him -- even though he had a clause in his contract that, if he wasn't recalled by May 1, he could become a free agent.

In the month of April, easily the best month the G-Braves had, Hernandez pitched in seven games, going 1-0, 1.12 with four saves. He allowed one run in his eight innings of work. But come May 1, nothing, so Hernandez bolted.

It took only days for the Angels to sign him. In 38 games, he was a strong 1-0, 2.23 with a save. In 36 innings, he struck out 37 as opposed to eight walks (29 hits) and he's just been dealt to the Diamondbacks. Could've kept him since Opening Day, could've called him up May, could've traded for him today. Yet the Braves still have their sorry current bullpen.

Pretty sure we traded him to the Angels for cash or a PTBNL

rico43
07-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Pretty sure we traded him to the Angels for cash or a PTBNL

You are right! Traded him on April 24 with the May 1 opt out looming.

Still a second guess worthy of a grumble.

blueagleace1
07-31-2017, 04:52 PM
If I correctly recall, they decided to go with Motte instead? I agree, Hernandez was the better option and could (would have) netted us a prospect.