PDA

View Full Version : Jason in Center

Runnin
09-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Looks like that's where we're at.

I like it. Defensively it's an upgrade. It also keeps his motor revved up which is good for a leadoff hitter. He's not the big power threat we had all hoped for but he's still valuable. His health is always a worry but big aggressive guys like that can get hurt anytime. Might as well use his tools when you can and we certainly don't have better options for CF.

thethe
09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm fine with Heyward in CF for the rest of the season. But the Braves have to figure out how to get BJ back on track. We just can't carry him with his poor play for much longer.

zitothebrave
09-26-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm fine with him in center for short bursts, but next year we better hope and pray bossman is back. Heyward is too big of a man to play CF. He'll flame out before 30.

zitothebrave
09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Looks like that's where we're at.

I like it. Defensively it's an upgrade. It also keeps his motor revved up which is good for a leadoff hitter. He's not the big power threat we had all hoped for but he's still valuable. His health is always a worry but big aggressive guys like that can get hurt anytime. Might as well use his tools when you can and we certainly don't have better options for CF.

I think Heyward's power will come along just fine. He just posted like a .210 iso season last year. Injuries are literally the only concern with Heyward. He is fast, has good power, makes consistent strong contact, is amazing in the field. Probably his biggest knock is his throwing arm which is only about average for a RF these days.

If Heyward can stay healthy I think we're looking at a mid .900 OPS type of player consistently. But that health thing is a big if with him so far. This year it's been fluke injuries (odds of him getting hit in the face again in his career are pretty slim) but in the past they've been more minor but too severe type of injuries.

Runnin
09-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I think Heyward's power will come along just fine. Injuries are literally the only concern with Heyward.
I don't think Heyward's real power will come until he corrects his hitting mechanics. You can't expect him to reach his potential against major league pitching with that crazy regripping thing he does.

cajunrevenge
09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I like Heyward in center. I was for signing BJ but if I knew Heyward could do this well in center I would not have been for it. The value difference between RF and CF is huge.

bravesnumberone
09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
We need BJ to get back on track because while Heyward will do well in center, Justin is a liability in right. At least he's played like it for us.

stpeteirish
09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
We need BJ to get back on track because while Heyward will do well in center, Justin is a liability in right. At least he's played like it for us.

Yes, indeed, Justin cannot play RF all year. And apparently Heyward can't play CF all year but for a few weeks he can.

So we need to figure out how to get BJ back at least somewhat and Pick up a 4th OF type. I'm done with Schafer; he can't hit major league pitching.

CyYoung31
09-26-2013, 05:07 PM
The guy just hit 27 homers last year. He's missed two different months of this season with fluke injuries that have effected his power output. Let's hold off on that talk.