PDA

View Full Version : This odd-season

murph3
09-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Will it be busy? Do we keep McCann? Can we move Uggla? Will we make a move for an arm? Will Hudson return? Lots of questions anf I don't have the answers. I used to watch every game religously. Even this year I haven't watched an entire game all the way through. I am always busy and always in pain (24/7). May be looking at my 3rd back surgery.

I hate to let all of you down with my lack of trade ideas. :)

Notice my spelling of off. Didn't know if anyone would notice it as odd. LOL

cajunrevenge
09-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I think it will be pretty mild off season. There will be some money to spend but they cant afford to add any money beyond 2014. 2 years of arbitration raises are going to eat thru all of that. Plus theres the issue of re-signing Justin and Heyward after 2015. I think Hudson re-signs on a cheap 1 year deal around 7.5 million. I really wonder if they wont go after a starter like Josh Johnson who it is rumored wants a 1 year deal with a NL team to rebuild his value for a big contract the next off season. He will probably be looking for a good situation rather than who can offer the most money on that 1 year deal. The Braves can boast a superb pen that should help him rack up wins and two of the top defenders in the game in Simmons/Heyward that should help keep his ERA down. I do expect the Braves to bring back Venters and I wont be surprised if O'Flaherty comes back on a 1 year incentive laden deal as well.

bravebonebook
09-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Well, I have no idea or prediction about what will happen but this is what I'd like to see:

1. McCann resigned but I know there's really no chance of it without a large hometown discount.
2. McCann NOT signing with a NL team and especially a NL East team if Atlanta doesn't resign him!!
3. Hudson brought back on a short, small offer; I just don't want his Braves career to end like this.
4. EOF and Venters brought back; coming off injuries, both would be high risk/ high reward signings
5. Find a good hitting/ great fielding 2B and dump Uggla for something (anything)
6. Re-sign Schaffer for a minimum contract
7. Send BJ to a therapist or hypnotist to find his game again...
8. Re-sign Downs if EOF doesn't
9. Pick up option on Reed Johnson
10. Re-sign EJ for depth (with Pena returning); re-sign Janish for AAA
11. Keep Carpenter in Atlanta; Wood in AAA IF we don't sign a guy like JJohnson AND we don't get production out of EOF or Venters
12. I find the info on Josh Johnson intriguing; bid on him for a 1 year contract

Good luck and God's grace on your healing, Murph. :icon_biggrin:

stpeteirish
09-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Will it be busy? Do we keep McCann? Can we move Uggla? Will we make a move for an arm? Will Hudson return? Lots of questions anf I don't have the answers. I used to watch every game religously. Even this year I haven't watched an entire game all the way through. I am always busy and always in pain (24/7). May be looking at my 3rd back surgery.

I hate to let all of you down with my lack of trade ideas. :)

Notice my spelling of off. Didn't know if anyone would notice it as odd. LOL

Watching the Braves makes my back hurt too. But you're probably dealing with something more severe, sorry to hear.

We'll make a major effort to sign McCann and might even succeed, contrary to what everyone seems to think. We can expand our payroll to keep him as a hometown "hero" type player. Won't be able to go as long as some teams but he might not want to play forever anyhow.

I'm also optimistic about signing Hudson, he's not getting a long term deal from anyone else anyhow.

Offloading Uggla will be difficult but we should be able to get rid of him in July for a small amount of payroll relief. And we'll do it because after he fails to adjust and continues to suck again next year he'll getting any AB's so any relief will be worth it. Fredi has finally soured on him. That's the last one standing.

Orphan Black
09-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Talk about bait and switch...I thought this was going to be a discussion about how odd this season has been.

SneakyFrenchSpy
09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Don't be too shocked if McCann ends up signing with the Yankees next year. He has family in Upstate NY and would be a natural fit on a Yankee roster who hasn't found an answer @ Catcher since Posada retired. 4year / 56M gets it done?

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the most likely destination is Texas. They have had a hard on for him for a while. They did try and trade for him this year and after hearing the rumored Justin deal they offered then they probably offered Nolan Ryan's turd for him.

Dunit24
09-27-2013, 12:03 PM
I see us going with Gattis/Laird at C, shopping Uggla, and having a ton of money to lock up our guys long term and keeping our bullpen guys coming off TJS. Here is my early 2014 roster.

Elliot Johnson - 2B
Chris Johnson - 3B
Freddie Freeman - 1B
Justin Upton - LF
Jason Heyward - RF
Evan Gattis - C
Andrelton Simmons - SS
BJ Upton - CF

Bench - Laird, Schafer, RPena, Terdoslavich, RJohnson

I dont see Fredi doing this lineup, but id like to see Elliot leading off and CJ hitting 2nd in front of the big hitters. JHey leading off has sparked us this year, but he could be a huge RBI guy as well in the 5 hole. I also love the combo of Freeman-JUpton-Heyward-Gattis for years to come.

Starters
Julio Teheran
Mike Minor
Kris Medlen
Alex Wood
Brandon Beachy

Bullpen
Craig Kimbrel
Jordan Walden
Eric O'Flaherty
Jonny Venters
Scott Downs
David Carpenter
C.Martinez - long man

Heyward
09-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Unless Mac takes a discount, I think he signs with an AL team, probably the Yanks or Rangers.

Outside of that.

Rotation I would do Julio, Minor, Wood, Meds, and Beachy.

Love Huddy but time to part ways.

Provided Beachy is ready by ST.

Bullpen will be the toughest.

Especially on Venters and or EOF.

Kimbrel, Walden, Carp, Avilan are for sure in the pen next year, after that is a question.

NinersSBChamps
09-27-2013, 06:26 PM
I've thought more of this season as even.