4. Ruiz C
5. Brown LF
6. Ruf 1B
7. Asche 3B
8. Bernadina RF
9. Lee P

tululush
09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
For the love of g-d I would just like to see us have a 1-2-3 top of the first and then just blast the ever loving **** out of them with a 6 spot in the bottom half.

zitothebrave
09-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Why is Reed hitting 2? Seriously? Who does Chris Johnson have to sleep with to bat higher?

Heyward
09-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Uggla is playing 2B, don't mind Reed playing but hitting 2nd?!?!?

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Why is Reed hitting 2? Seriously?

I agree, you don't put a rusty player in his first game back in the two hole. Reed missed too much time, this isn't the same as Heyward's situation. Plus Reed has looked terrible in his AB's pinch hitting so far.

Reed Johnson should be hitting no higher than 8th, IMO.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:11 PM
It also seems Fredi has chosen Reed over Joey T. I doubt either are ready to contribute much if any come the playoffs. This is why I'd been getting Joey T starts off and on the past month. Oh well, I hope it doesn't burn us in the playoffs but it probably will at some point.

tiger2vette2
09-27-2013, 03:12 PM
So Reed hits for the cycle tonight?

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I like Reed getting a start, but...

Wish the NL had the DH in September, if nothing else.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:13 PM
It also seems Fredi has chosen Reed over Joey T. I doubt either are ready to contribute much if any come the playoffs. This is why I'd been getting Joey T starts off and on the past month. Oh well, I hope it doesn't burn us in the playoffs but it probably will at some point.

Reed is a much better option. Fredi made the correct choice there.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:13 PM
So Reed hits for the cycle tonight?

Maybe in fantasy land, lol.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Reed is a much better option. Fredi made the correct choice there.

He is at 100% (at least vs lefties) and with the time including AB's to be ready. But do you really think a few games is enough after all the time he missed? I don't.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:18 PM
He is at 100% (at least vs lefties) and with the time including AB's to be ready. But do you really think a few games is enough after all the time he missed? I don't.

Enough to be more useful than Joey T? Yes.

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
This is Reed Johnson's audition to see if he's ready for the playoffs. Last night on the broadcast they had mentioned him along with Walden going to instructional leagues earlier next week to get into game shape.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Enough to be more useful than Joey T? Yes.

That wasn't the question, obviously neither have been useful this month. Nor is there reason to expect either to change without enough time, including starts and AB's to get going again.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Why is Reed hitting 2? Seriously? Who does Chris Johnson have to sleep with to bat higher?

:fredi:

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
This is Reed Johnson's audition to see if he's ready for the playoffs. Last night on the broadcast they had mentioned him along with Walden going to instructional leagues earlier next week to get into game shape.

Hopefully that helps both of them, but we really should've played Joey T more this past month just to be safe. We also should've called up Obispo giving us another power righty option in the bullpen. Now if Walden cannot comeback we're going to be pretty screwed in the playoffs there too.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
That wasn't the question, obviously neither have been useful this month. Nor is there reason to expect either to change without enough time, including starts and AB's to get going again.

If it is between him and Joey T, like you proposed, that is definitely the question.

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 03:28 PM
For the love of g-d I would just like to see us have a 1-2-3 top of the first and then just blast the ever loving **** out of them with a 6 spot in the bottom half.

Did you copy and paste this from yesterday's game thread?????

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
If it is between him and Joey T, like you proposed, that is definitely the question.

Nah, it is a simple fact of what our bench options are that I noted. But I understand why you refuse to answer the question.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Nah, it is a simple fact of what our bench options are that I noted. But I understand why you refuse to answer the question.

Are you kidding me? I answered the question. Is Reed ready? More ready than the other option. That might not be the answer you want, but it is definitely an answer.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Your hate for Fredi is showing.

Reed or Terdo is like choosing between apples and oranges, not much difference, and it sure as hell doesn't cost us a playoff game.

Still comes down to JUp and Heyward hitting at an MVP level.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Are you kidding me? I answered the question. Is Reed ready? More ready than the other option. That might not be the answer you want, but it is definitely an answer.

I should be asking you the same since my question was clear enough. Obviously, you don't have much confidence is Reed Johnson being ready either.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Your hate for Fredi is showing.

Reed or Terdo is like choosing between apples and oranges, not much difference, and it sure as hell doesn't cost us a playoff game.

Still comes down to JUp and Heyward hitting at an MVP level.

I guess you haven't been watching the Braves in the playoffs very long. If you had you'd recall all the big games bench options won for us going back to the early 90's and Frankie Cabrera. Maybe the reason you don't is because you're also a Yankee fan. Maybe you changed the channel to watch your Yankees at that point, lol.

Bottom line: If we go far enough the bench will come into play so they need to be sharp too.

Also, save the Fredi bashing nonsense. It's old and tired but expected from you.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I should be asking you the same since my question was clear enough. Obviously, you don't have much confidence is Reed Johnson being ready either.

:happy0157:

So. Let's get super specific, since that seems to be what you are going for.

Is Reed ready for what?

5th spot on the bench? Yes.

Starting in LF (in the playoffs)? In an emergency.

CF? No.

RF? Probably not.

Is Joey T ready for any of that? No.

Is anyone else on the roster (who isn't going to make the playoffs)? No.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 03:45 PM
I guess you haven't been watching the Braves in the playoffs very long. If you had you'd recall all the big games bench options won for us going back to the early 90's and Frankie Cabrera. Maybe the reason you don't is because you're also a Yankee fan. Maybe you changed the channel to watch your Yankees at that point, lol.

Bottom line: If we go far enough the bench will come into play so they need to be sharp too.

Also, save the Fredi bashing nonsense. It's old and tired but expected from you.

One, I'm not a Yankee fan but nice to make things up I suppose. I don't hate or like them.

Two, who should PH then, it will likely be Schafer depending if it's a righty or lefty.

Three, Regards to Fredi, you're always complaining about something, so that means you have something against him, not rocket science.

Four, Reed Johnson pinch hitting wont be the reason we win or lose in the playoffs.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:45 PM

So. Let's get super specific, since that seems to be what you are going for.

Is Reed ready for what?

5th spot on the bench? Yes.

Starting in LF (in the playoffs)? In an emergency.

CF? No.

RF? Probably not.

Is Joey T ready for any of that? No.

Is anyone else on the roster (who isn't going to make the playoffs)? No.

If you really have that much confidence in Reed being ready, no reason not to be clear on that initially. Unless you were just looking to take a shot at Joey T or something.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:49 PM
If you really have that much confidence in Reed being ready, no reason not to be clear on that initially. Unless you were just looking to take a shot at Joey T or something.

You made it sound like Fredi choosing Reed over Joey T was a bad choice. That is the only reason Joey T is even in the discussion.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 03:52 PM
With the bench it looks like we are going to have, Reed at 80% is the best hitter on it.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 03:56 PM
One, I'm not a Yankee fan but nice to make things up I suppose. I don't hate or like them.

Two, who should PH then, it will likely be Schafer depending if it's a righty or lefty.

Three, Regards to Fredi, you're always complaining about something, so that means you have something against him, not rocket science.

Four, Reed Johnson pinch hitting wont be the reason we win or lose in the playoffs.

I didn't make anything up, I am going by old posts you made at Scout. Maybe you're not a Yankee fan as much now that your boy went to Cleveland? If so, I don't know that but still didn't make anything up.

As far as who will pinch hit, I'd like to have both Joey T and Reed as ready as possible to be safe. But I've been saying that all month off and on. I just don't see that realistically happening at this point. Unfortunately, Reed Johnson missed more time than we'd hoped and hasn't really been 100% since returning. This is why it was and still is important to have Joey T ready for the playoffs too. Obviously, Schafer is only an option vs righties and given his struggles the second half not one that gives me confidence either. Further, no I don't blame Fredi for that since you seem to think I blame him for everything. Actually you seem to think anyone that questions something Fredi does "hates" him, etc. That's humorous and all but really gets old reading after a while.

Also to your fourth point, neither you nor I can know if a Reed Johnson AB could factor in us winning or losing in the playoffs. It is certainly possible with all the tight games in the playoffs and probably likely at least a game or two should we go far enough (World Series). As I noted, the '92 NLCS came down to our last man on the bench, catcher Frankie Cabrera.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:00 PM
You made it sound like Fredi choosing Reed over Joey T was a bad choice. That is the only reason Joey T is even in the discussion.

Nah, you read that into what I said. I want both as ready as possible and have said so on and off for at least a month now.

Bdawg2309
09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
reed>joey T
easily.

joey T had his shot while the OF was decimated and didn't take advantage of hit
his avg is garbage, no power in the big leagues so far.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:04 PM
reed>joey T
easily.

joey T had his shot while the OF was decimated and didn't take advantage of hit
his avg is garbage, no power in the big leagues so far.

Didn't you make a similar post about Gattis a while back before his demotion and return to starting? Or was that someone else? Whatever the case, I don't agree with the popular view of Joey T anymore than I did on Gattis.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I didn't make anything up, I am going by old posts you made at Scout. Maybe you're not a Yankee fan as much now that your boy went to Cleveland? If so, I don't know that but still didn't make anything up.

As far as who will pinch hit, I'd like to have both Joey T and Reed as ready as possible to be safe. But I've been saying that all month off and on. I just don't see that realistically happening at this point. Unfortunately, Reed Johnson missed more time than we'd hoped and hasn't really been 100% since returning. This is why it was and still is important to have Joey T ready for the playoffs too. Obviously, Schafer is only an option vs righties and given his struggles the second half not one that gives me confidence either. Further, no I don't blame Fredi for that since you seem to think I blame him for everything. Actually you seem to think anyone that questions something Fredi does "hates" him, etc. That's humorous and all but really gets old reading after a while.

Also to your fourth point, neither you nor I can know if a Reed Johnson AB could factor in us winning or losing in the playoffs. It is certainly possible with all the tight games in the playoffs and probably likely at least a game or two should we go far enough (World Series). As I noted, the '92 NLCS came down to our last man on the bench, catcher Frankie Cabrera.

I'm a fan of Swisher, I was hoping we'd sign him, that's why. Im also a huge fan of Trout, am I an Angels fan too, then huh? I've said many times I don't hate or like the Yankees, no reason too.

If it comes down to the last man on the bench, then whatever. Actually, no, it seems everytime we lose, or something goes wrong people bitch about Fredi. Like when he gives someone a day off, or we lose a close game, or pulling a pitcher too early, or whatever that might be. Fact holds true.

Again, I doubt a PH will be the reason we lose or win, it comes down to Heyward and JUp playing at an MVP level, if so we can win it all, if not we wont go very far, period.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 04:17 PM
is like choosing between apples and oranges, not much difference

I think you're missing the real meaning of that maxim.

stpeteirish
09-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Kinda crazy, Big argument about Reed Johnson. Really?

They're just giving him a game to see if he's ready to go for the playoffs. He hits lefties so he goes tonight. Big deal. His injury effect his running, not his hitting. That's why they put him in left, I presume.

Should he be hitting 2nd? Probably not, but its not a big deal by any means.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm a fan of Swisher, I was hoping we'd sign him, that's why. Im also a huge fan of Trout, am I an Angels fan too, then huh? I've said many times I don't hate or like the Yankees, no reason too.

If it comes down to the last man on the bench, then whatever. Actually, no, it seems everytime we lose, or something goes wrong people bitch about Fredi. Like when he gives someone a day off, or we lose a close game, or pulling a pitcher too early, or whatever that might be. Fact holds true.

Again, I doubt a PH will be the reason we lose or win, it comes down to Heyward and JUp playing at an MVP level, if so we can win it all, if not we wont go very far, period.

Given the hard time you've given Giles about being a Nats fan, I find your response to my calling you a Yankee fan quite funny. But it's really not worth debating further. I just honestly thought you were a Yankee fan after a response you made at Scout in past asking what AL Teams board members cheer for. As I recall you said the Yankees because of Swisher, etc. Further, I totally disagree that there's no reason to hate the Yankees. There's very few Braves fans I've met that disagree with me on that thankfully.

As far as the other stuff in your post, I've already pointed out my take in that area. I will add that every team's fans question the manager over losses and such. Managers tend to get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. That's just the way it goes and how many fans take out their frustrations. While others are hard on the players a lot, etc.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Nah, you read that into what I said. I want both as ready as possible and have said so on and off for at least a month now.

Of course I read into it. That is what you are meant to do when asked a question (so you can accurately answer it). I assumed it had depth.

Let me ask you this: If Reed does not make the team, who does?

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Of course I read into it. That is what you are meant to do when asked a question (so you can accurately answer it). I assumed it had depth.

Let me ask you this: If Reed does not make the team, who does?

Obviously, I simply meant you read into more than intended. As far as your question goes, I would expect there to be room for Reed Johnson and Joey T on the playoff roster.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Obviously, I simply meant you read into more than intended. As far as your question goes, I would expect there to be room for Reed Johnson and Joey T on the playoff roster.

Really? How would that work?

Heyward
Upton
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis
Simmons
P
EJ

Laird, BJ, Uggla, Schafer, Reed (if they go with one less bullpen pitcher, that bench spot will go to Janish)

Where would you put Reed AND Joey T?

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I would expect there to be room for Reed Johnson and Joey T on the playoff roster.

But I understand why you refuse to answer the question.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SyjbhKtJrjU/T75BExBjJDI/AAAAAAAAALo/mep7ebYg1qM/s1600/ryan+renolds+sly+smile.gif

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Really? How would that work?

Heyward
Upton
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis
Simmons
P
EJ

Laird, BJ, Uggla, Schafer, Reed (if they go with one less bullpen pitcher, that bench spot will go to Janish)

Where would you put Reed AND Joey T?

I don't think we'll need both EJ and Janish on the roster. Though I understand that means one of Uggla or CJ plays the ninth. Of course, if Uggla starts he is going to finish the game regardless knowing Fredi.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't think we'll need both EJ and Janish on the roster. Though I understand that means one of Uggla or CJ plays the ninth.

So you would go with one less bullpen pitcher and give Joey T the nod over Janish? Would you also give Joey T the nod over Reed?

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:54 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SyjbhKtJrjU/T75BExBjJDI/AAAAAAAAALo/mep7ebYg1qM/s1600/ryan+renolds+sly+smile.gif

Let's jump the gun already, OK? :happy0157:

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Let's jump the gun already, OK? :happy0157:

Take your time.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 04:57 PM
So you would go with one less bullpen pitcher and give Joey T the nod over Janish? Would you also give Joey T the nod over Reed?

I'd go with one less arm given we only need a four man rotation anyway. I would go with both Reed and Joey over Janish unless Reed just isn't ready at all. But Janish cannot hit either way so that's a wash. The only value he brings is as a defensive sub which is a role EJ can also fill.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
I'd go with one less arm given we only need a four man rotation anyway. I would go with both Reed and Joey over Janish unless Reed just isn't ready at all. But Janish cannot hit either way so that's a wash. The only value he brings is as a defensive sub which is a role EJ can also fill.

Interesting.

Joey T = .215 .315 .266 .581 with questionable defense.

So, my question? If Fredi goes with an extra arm in the bullpen (which he most likely will), would you go Joey T over Reed? Or am I still jumping the gun?

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I dont know about everyone else but I am tired of the regular season. Been waiting on the playoffs for a month now. Win lose or draw I am ready for it to be over with so I can focus fully on football season.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Interesting.

So, my question? If Fredi goes with an extra arm in the bullpen (which he most likely will), would you go Joey T over Reed? Or am I still jumping the gun?

I only want them if they're ready to go; Joey T hasn't been playing enough either though he's 100% unlike Reed. So right now I'd not be happy with either of them for the reasons already noted earlier in this thread. I also already agreed that Reed is a better option vs lefties normally. But he's not 100% and remains to be seen if he will be able to get back hitting enough for the playoffs. Again, I am doubtful about that as I've stated.

However, it does seem Fredi will go with just Reed Johnson. If that wasn't the plan I expect we'd seen Joey T more the last week or so. The Walden situation in the bullpen complicates matters too.

CyYoung31
09-27-2013, 05:17 PM

My thoughts, exactly.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 05:21 PM
I dont know about everyone else but I am tired of the regular season. Been waiting on the playoffs for a month now. Win lose or draw I am ready for it to be over with so I can focus fully on football season.

Wait, so are you saying you're ready for the entire MLB season (including playoffs) to get over? If so, it sounds like you're more of a football fan than baseball fan. Personally, I love this time of year just so long as the Braves are in the playoffs and winning. I hated the one game playoff last year though. I didn't support it going in and after what happened I am even more against it.

Julio3000
09-27-2013, 05:41 PM

I was waiting for that.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 05:44 PM
I only want them if they're ready to go; Joey T hasn't been playing enough either though he's 100% unlike Reed. So right now I'd not be happy with either of them for the reasons already noted earlier in this thread. I also already agreed that Reed is a better option vs lefties normally. But he's not 100% and remains to be seen if he will be able to get back hitting enough for the playoffs. Again, I am doubtful about that as I've stated.

However, it does seem Fredi will go with just Reed Johnson. If that wasn't the plan I expect we'd seen Joey T more the last week or so. The Walden situation in the bullpen complicates matters too.

Julio3000
09-27-2013, 05:44 PM

A kilo of one, 35.274 ounces of another.

/Chip Caray idioms.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 05:45 PM
A kilo of one, 35.274 ounces of another.

/Chip Caray idioms.

:snort:

"I'm no idiom!"

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Wait, so are you saying you're ready for the entire MLB season (including playoffs) to get over? If so, it sounds like you're more of a football fan than baseball fan. Personally, I love this time of year just so long as the Braves are in the playoffs and winning. I hated the one game playoff last year though. I didn't support it going in and after what happened I am even more against it.

I am just tired of the regular season. Playing for homefield just doesn't excite me. It feels like its been a certainty that we would win the division for 2 months now. It feels like half the reason I want the braves to win in the nlds is so the negatrons don't spend all off season telling us how horrible the team is. Now I know we could win the world and they would still be ready to jump off a clip anyways.

I have never really had my football team and my baseball team be good in the same year.Its always been one or the other. This is a new experience.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 06:19 PM
still be ready to jump off a clip anyways.

Which one?

http://blog.neosusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/paperclip.jpghttp://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/akmag.jpg

NinersSBChamps
09-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Probably the guy who makes the lineup.

NinersSBChamps
09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Interesting.

Reed over Joey T if I have to choose one. Reed can play all over the outfield and is a good base runner. He also usually puts together quality at bats.

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
The first one

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Reed can play all over the outfield and is a good base runner.

Do you realize Reed isn't even 100%?

jpx7
09-27-2013, 06:42 PM

Looked a little slowed, but passable, in LF during that inning.

By the way: all games are free today on mlb.tv.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Do you realize Joey T hasn't had a hit since August 27th?

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Looked a little slowed, but passable, in LF during that inning.

By the way: all games are free today on mlb.tv.

True, but you wouldn't want to use him anywhere else (esp. not centerfield). My concern is his bat though, not so much being passable in left.

Also, I noticed that about the free mlb.tv but I already paid for the 3.99 deal.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I am encouraged by how impressive Heyward has looked lately. It will be huge if we have a hot and all the way back Heyward heading into the playoffs. He didn't get a hit in the first but that was another line drive.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Gattis looked foolish.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:03 PM
If that doesn't hit Lee it's a hit up the middle. Oh well.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, Simmons at least cleared Uggla. Hopefully Uggla can at least clear the pitcher.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Terrible AB.

Lee went right after Uggla down 3-1 in the count and Uggla takes them both down the pipe.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Well, Simmons at least cleared Uggla. Hopefully Uggla can at least clear the pitcher.

Yea, right.

I've stuck with Uggla awhile longer than most this season, but at this point I had more hope Medlen would drive in a run, if only Lee would just pitch around Uggla.

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Terrible AB.

Lee went right after Uggla down 3-1 in the count and Uggla takes them both down the pipe.

Is there any excuse for why Uggla takes so many called third strikes looking?

stpeteirish
09-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Is there any excuse for why Uggla takes so many called third strikes looking?

He's trying to 1 up BJ who takes more than anyone,ever.

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Terrible AB.

Do you think he would have made contact if he swung? Drawing walks is about the only way he doesn't make an out anymore.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
To wit: Medlen put a good swing on that ball.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Do you think he would have made contact if he swung? Drawing walks is about the only way he doesn't make an out anymore.

It's like he just assumed they'd pitch around him. He actually has hit Lee in the past so at least give it a go. However, I agree with your lack of faith in his contact skills at this point.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:18 PM
To wit: Medlen put a good swing on that ball.

Medlen to Uggla: This is how you do it.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Uggla.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhm1h4XDwt1qa6j6co1_500.gif

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:26 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with Uggla this off-season. If we move him we'll probably need to take on a bad contract in return. But at this point I am okay with that.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 07:31 PM
It will be interesting to see if Uggla gets another hit this season.

thethe
09-27-2013, 07:33 PM
At some point everyone will realize that Medlen is a potential ace.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Cardinals already up 2-0 on Cubs, all hits with two outs. If Wood cannot beat them I doubt anyone else going against them this weekend does.

It might take a sweep Philly for us to take home field.

Runnin
09-27-2013, 07:37 PM
That was a horrible at bat El Oso.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Lee is making our hitters look bad for most part so far (including Gattis both AB's).

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 07:40 PM

thethe
09-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Its a pleasure watching Medlen pitch.

Heyward
Lee is making our hitters look bad for most part so far (including Gattis both AB's).

This surprises you?

Lee is one of the top pitchers on the planet, hope we can get him out of the game and see what happens.

Braves1976
Wood only pitching one inning for Cubs and so far he stinks. 3-0 Cardinals now still batting bases loaded. All this started with two outs.

Heyward
Cardinals already up 2-0 on Cubs, all hits with two outs. If Wood cannot beat them I doubt anyone else going against them this weekend does.

It might take a sweep Philly for us to take home field.

I said they'd sweep and everyone bashed me for it.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:42 PM
This surprises you?

Lee is one of the top pitchers on the planet, hope we can get him out of the game and see what happens.

I didn't say that. I knew Lee could potentially shut us down. He's a very good pitcher.

Gary82
09-27-2013, 07:42 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 07:43 PM

You also said you weren't confident they'd sweep.

And that you wouldn't bet on them sweeping.

You're on your way to a ban for flip flopping.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:44 PM

I reckon I'm not included among everyone then, lol.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Man, CJ chased ball four there.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 07:47 PM

I said it depends what happens.

If the matchups stay as projected, I think they'll sweep.

Hope I'm wrong but don't think I will be.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Lee is even making our best contact hitter look bad tonight (Simmons).

thethe
09-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Lee is so good. Probably still the best pitcher in baseball at his best.

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Man Lee is rolling, hope Medlen keeps matching.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Lee is even making our best contact hitter look bad tonight (Simmons).

I'd say CJ is our best contact hitter but yes, Lee is quite awesome.

Braves1976
We knew Uggla was going to strikeout after CJ and Simmons looked so bad before him. Uggla was no match when no one else can touch him.

jpx7
Glad Uggla did a lot with his strike-three-looking reprieve: he made Lee throw two whole additional pitches.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I'd say CJ is our best contact hitter but yes, Lee is quite awesome.

No way, not even close. Simmons is one of the best contact hitters in the league. He's similar to Prado with regard to his contact skills.

JusticeForAll23
09-27-2013, 07:53 PM

What about wearing flip flops while you post? Is that a bannable offense?

stpeteirish
09-27-2013, 07:54 PM
maggening how inept we look vs good pitching.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 07:55 PM
What about wearing flip flops while you post? Is that a bannable offense?

As long as you are not wearing pants, you should be good.

thethe
maggening how inept we look vs good pitching.

I would still argue that the only pitcher better in baseball than Lee would be Kershaw. Hopefully we can avoid him.

ProbationDeac
This is much better then good pitching. Don't get me wrong, we are slumping this month offensively but Chris Lee is a great pitcher.

thethe
Medlen has the nasty curve tonight!

JusticeForAll23
09-27-2013, 07:56 PM
As long as you are not wearing pants, you should be good.
Pants? Don't be silly. Who wears pants while they post?

NYCBrave
I would still argue that the only pitcher better in baseball than Lee would be Kershaw. Hopefully we can avoid him.

You think Lee is the second best pitcher in baseball?????

Braves1976
That was strike three! Come on Ump!

CyYoung31

They haven't even won a game yet.

thethe
09-27-2013, 07:57 PM

He isn't? I don't care what his numbers say this year he is a stud.

Braves1976
That's a crap way to lose a no hitter. He had him struck out before hand.

Gary82
BOO

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Pants? Don't be silly. Who wears pants while they post?

No one who wants to stick around here, that is for sure.

ProbationDeac
While we are all drooling over Lee, Medlen is pitching pretty damn well.

thethe
That was a howitzer but I think he was safe.

thethe
09-27-2013, 07:59 PM
OUT!

jpx7
That was strike three! Come on Ump!

And I knew Hernandez would get a hit after that call.

Braves1976
Great throw by Gattis, looks like he slid over the bag too so good call. But I still say Medlen had him struck out before the cheap hit.

Dalyn
:facepalm:

jpx7
That was a howitzer but I think he was safe.

Check the replay: Hernandez missed the bag when he slid.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:00 PM
And I knew Hernandez would get a hit after that call.

Yea, I figured as much too. Oh well.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Check the replay: Hernandez missed the bag when he slid.

Yep, great throw and thankfully bad slide helped too.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 08:04 PM

Not that crazy, Lee at his best is great.

Can make an argument he is, no question.

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 08:04 PM
He isn't? I don't care what his numbers say this year he is a stud.

You actually think Lee is better than King Felix? Or even Darvish? Theyre putting up better numbers than Lee ever has. Lee is probably in the end of the top 10 at best

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Medlen needs to shut them out for us to have a shot.

NYCBrave
Not that crazy, Lee at his best is great.

Can make an argument he is, no question.

Go ahead and try. he's not better than Felix

Heyward
They haven't even won a game yet.

They are up 3-0 and have 6+ innings of the Cubs pen, it's over.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Go ahead and try. he's not better than Felix

Probably not but I've seen dumber things said.

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
NYCBrave, have you completely given up? Ha

BlackwaterPark
09-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Sick

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Nice DP, now let's get Medlen some runs!

stpeteirish
09-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Reed hurt again?

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 08:15 PM
NYCBrave, have you completely given up? Ha

Given up on what?

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:16 PM
The game? The year?

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 08:18 PM
The game? The year?

Are you confusing me with Heyward? Pretty sure you are lol.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Wow: bad call for strike-two to Freeman.

ProbationDeac
Oops, you are right. Ha ha.

Braves1976
Now the ump is screwing us... Gattis you better be ready to swing as Ump has plane to catch.

Gary82
09-27-2013, 08:24 PM
what an awesome pitcher's duel.

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
what an awesome pitcher's duel.

Nice work Medlen!

Gary82
09-27-2013, 08:30 PM
I know it's the Phillies, but Medlen starting game one of the NLDS sounds OK with me.

Braves1976
Now please can we get him some runs?

Lville21
Go with Medlen one more inning unless the Braves take the lead in the 8th.

Bj1133
I think I'm ok with giving Medlen the start in Game 1

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Medlen appears done. Let's get a run!

thewupk
I think I'm ok with giving Medlen the start in Game 1

It's lined up that way.

Kershaw and Wainwright also pitching tonight.

Bye Week
Medlen is ready boys.

Garmel
09-27-2013, 08:33 PM
BABIP!!!

Braves1976
Yes! CJ golfed that one out!

ProbationDeac
Ha ha yes sir Chris Johnson!!

Bye Week
Bang Biscuit!!!!!

Heyward
It's lined up that way.

Kershaw and Wainwright also pitching tonight.

Wainwright doesn't pitch until Sunday.

Gary82
YEAH BABY! :tchop:

TURBO
bllooooooooooooooopppppppp

Bj1133
BOOM!!!

Heyward
09-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Man, what to do?

Let Meds finish it or have Kimbrel save the game?

jpx7
09-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Very nice.

Gary82
Man, what to do?

Kimbrel needs to get his 50th. Not that it means anything, but it's 50!

Julio3000
Wow.

Bj1133
Man, what to do?

Bottom part of the lineup due up, but I go with Kimbrel. Braves need this game

thewupk
Wainwright doesn't pitch until Sunday.

Thought he was going tonight. Still think it lines up that way. He's our best home starter.

NYCBrave
Man, what to do?

Tough call but gotta go Kimbrel

Gary82
09-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Is Uggla starting at second in the playoffs? Or is Fredi going with Johnson?

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:36 PM
EJ is pinch hitting so Kimbrel will pitch the 9th. Great game by Medlen!

Hopefully CK can save it.

Gary82
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
There's the lead, Craig. Shut 'er down.

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Let's go Kimbrel!

TURBO
09-27-2013, 08:40 PM
scary

Runnin
09-27-2013, 08:40 PM
LOL at Chris Johnson

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Medlen finishing the second half with a 2.38 ERA. Who says we dont have an ace!

thethe
09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Medlen is awesome.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Medlen says bring on Kershaw.

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Magic number down to two. BIG win tonight against one of the best pitchers in the game. Great game Medlen!

TURBO
WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON

Gary82
That's 50!

We can't beat aces. Lulz.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
He blew him away, yea what a game. Save number 50 for Kimbrel and great game by Medlen!

Cardinals blowing out Cubs 6-0 though so will stay tied.

zitothebrave
09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Great job by Meds and Kimbrel to keep it shutout and thank god we scored a run. Have to feel bad for Lee he pitched way better than Medlen but made one mistake and his team didn't pull it off.

Bj1133
09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Huge win for this team

Gary82
09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
95 wins. We've surpassed last year's total.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Well Clifford, there's always a spot for you in our rotation next year if you want. :rock:

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
I'll feel bad for Cliff Lee another day. Happy for Meds!

MadduxFanII
09-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Great job by Meds and Kimbrel to keep it shutout and thank god we scored a run. Have to feel bad for Lee he pitched way better than Medlen but made one mistake and his team didn't pull it off.

Good lord, man. You are trying really hard not to be impressed by Medlen.

zitothebrave
09-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Well Clifford, there's always a spot for you in our rotation next year if you want. :rock:

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.12151752.8089/sticker,375x360.png

AerchAngel

It helps when you get 2 inches off the ground and 2 inches inside and outside the black on your pitches.

Can't complain though, Glavine and Maddox lived in those spots as well.

Heyward

The is where I hate the win loss stat, both pitched awesome, vintage pitchers duel.

Nice win though.

zitothebrave

8 innings 13 Ks 0 BB and you get the loss, that's some hard luck there.

Braves1976
Medlen impressed me more tonight than any game all season. He was at his best and that was a great game by him.

Well done Kris!

NYCBrave
09-27-2013, 08:50 PM
So the Phillies still haven't announced a starter for tomorrow to take Halladay's spot. What options do they have?

Heyward

Both pitched great, was Lee better than Medlen, maybe not, maybe so.

I'll take the win though.

zitothebrave
So the Phillies still haven't announced a starter for tomorrow to take Halladay's spot. What options do they have?

Can they throw Cloyd again? He barely pitched yesterday

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 08:51 PM
8 innings 13 Ks 0 BB and you get the loss, that's some hard luck there.

Lee was at his best too no doubt. He just made one pitch too good for CJ to golf out. But other than that he dominated us all night.

Bj1133

Pretty sure I saw a tweet by DOB saying it was a bullpen game tomorrow for them

Heyward

Good question, could go with Ethan Martin but he's in the bullpen.

It was gonna be Halladay but he is shut down.

JusticeForAll23
09-27-2013, 08:56 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 2m
Cliff Lee is the 1st pitcher with 13 strikeouts and 0 walks in a complete-game road loss since Randy Johnson in 1999.
Poor Cliff.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately unless he gets some type of shoulder surgery, Halladay may be shut down for his career.

MadduxFanII
09-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Saw that too. Bullpen game, Ethan Martin gets the "start" and goes two or three innings.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Good question, could go with Ethan Martin but he's in the bullpen.

ESPN's probables indicate it will be Ethan Martin.

ProbationDeac
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Medlens era the last 6 starts? 0.83

The Chosen One
Poor Cliff.

Also makes you appreciate just how many dominant pitchers there were back then in an era of roiders.

I mean Maddux, Unit, Pedro, Schilling, Glavine, Smoltz, were putting up solid W-L records, ERA's, and striking out guys. Most importantly many of them were going the distance in a lot of games.

The Chosen One
Medlens era the last 6 starts? 0.83

Minor >

cajunrevenge
09-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Dont feel sorry for Cliff. He chose to take 25 million a year to play for a ****ty team. Even if they werent ****ty when he signed they were in obvious decline. If he really wanted to win he could have signed for half that with a better team. Not hating on him for taking the money but he signed up for this.

jpx7
09-27-2013, 09:00 PM
It would be nice of Edwin Jackson to pitch well tomorrow, and for Wainwright to drop a dud.

zitothebrave
09-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately unless he gets some type of shoulder surgery, Halladay may be shut down for his career.

Such a shame. Guy isn't quite a HOF pitcher yet but another year or 2 of high play and he would have been in, but now hes more of a bubble guy. Like Pettitte but Halladay isn't a Yankee and doesn't have a fistful of rings.

zitothebrave
09-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Dont feel sorry for Cliff. He chose to take 25 million a year to play for a ****ty team. Even if they werent ****ty when he signed they were in obvious decline. If he really wanted to win he could have signed for half that with a better team. Not hating on him for taking the money but he signed up for this.

Lee took a discount to sign with Philly. Texas and NYY offered more money. Sometimes money isn't everything. Apparently he and his family liked the area.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Fredi pretty much confirming Reed is going to be on the bench during the playoffs during his post-game PC.

Does this mean Schafer is odd man out?

BJ is probably a given, Elliot is Fredi's new toy. Uggla's on the bench as well.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Also, I wish Minor would learn a thing or two from Medlen on pitching efficiency and pitching to contact.

They're essentially the same pitcher from different sides of the rubber. Minor can hit maybe a mph more than Medlen on the fastball, but both are Fastball-Changeup and occasional curveball guys.

thethe
09-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Can we extend Medlen please?

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Can we extend Medlen please?

We control him until 2016 I think. If he proves next year he can do it a full season, instead of just dominating down the stretch, I say give the kid his due.

thethe
09-27-2013, 09:14 PM
We control him until 2016 I think. If he proves next year he can do it a full season, instead of just dominating down the stretch, I say give the kid his due.

Have to be proactive. He will cost 50-75% more if he has another good season.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Fredi pretty much confirming Reed is going to be on the bench during the playoffs during his post-game PC.

Does this mean Schafer is odd man out?

BJ is probably a given, Elliot is Fredi's new toy. Uggla's on the bench as well.

It will be interesting what the bench is.

Depends if Mac is out for the playoffs or not.

I could see Uggla left off but you're probably right.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Have to be proactive. He will cost 50-75% more if he has another good season.

Was gonna say the same, his value isn't as big as it could be this time next year.

If he repeats this, he may command ace money.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Because of his lack of run support early in the year, Medlen could easily be 19-8 instead of 15-12.

thethe
09-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Because of his lack of run support early in the year, Medlen could easily be 19-8 instead of 15-12.

I don't think people realize that this is the 2012 Medlen all over again. He has been unhittable for quite some time now.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 09:37 PM
As much as I don't want Schafer starting in CF, I also don't want to see Janish beat him out for a spot on the bench. That's crazy. Schafer has quite a bit of value defensively and on the bases. Could easily see him running for McCann in the 9th and stealing a run.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 09:45 PM
As much as I don't want Schafer starting in CF, I also don't want to see Janish beat him out for a spot on the bench. That's crazy. Schafer has quite a bit of value defensively and on the bases. Could easily see him running for McCann in the 9th and stealing a run.

In a close game with the lead, you could theoretically have Janish-Simmons-Elliot as your infield. Could sub for Uggla or CJ whichever.

Schafer's biggest value is probably on the bases.

If Reed is on the team, Schafer is out. Reed is essentially the 5th OF. He may not be as fast as Schafe but could pinch run. The thing is, I don't trust Gattis or Laird defensively over McCann late in the game enough to want to pinch run for McCann.

I only see us pinch running for McCann if we're behind and McCann is on 2nd.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 09:48 PM
In a close game with the lead, you could theoretically have Janish-Simmons-Elliot as your infield. Could sub for Uggla or CJ whichever.

Schafer's biggest value is probably on the bases.

If Reed is on the team, Schafer is out. Reed is essentially the 5th OF. He may not be as fast as Schafe but could pinch run. The thing is, I don't trust Gattis or Laird defensively over McCann late in the game enough to want to pinch run for McCann.

I only see us pinch running for McCann if we're behind and McCann is on 2nd.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 10:14 PM
The debate about having Schafer on the roster is interesting. I had not considered removing him till reading this discussion. Schafer has been bad at the plate the second half. Plus BJ Upton can pinch run and steal if needed. So can EJ if he's not starting. This being the case it makes Schafer not needed really unless he's hitting. We already know Heyward will be starting in centerfield if he's good to go.

To sum it up, I could certainly see a case for leaving him off the roster. I just doubt Fredi does so regardless.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 10:23 PM
So I just read Mac will miss the final two games of season (possible to pinch hit Sunday though). That hurts our chances to sweep, but I understand we cannot take any chances with Mac.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 10:24 PM
So I just read Mac will miss the final two games of season (possible to pinch hit Sunday though). That hurts our chances to sweep.

Looks like Laird's tactics have worked. He probably got a cheap shot in on Mac during the scuffle against Milwaukee the other day.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Looks like Laird's tactics have worked. He probably got a cheap shot in on Mac during the scuffle against Milwaukee the other day.

So they kicked him out of the game to protect Mac?

Heyward
09-27-2013, 10:29 PM
So I just read Mac will miss the final two games of season (possible to pinch hit Sunday though). That hurts our chances to sweep, but I understand we cannot take any chances with Mac.

Probably the right move, don't wanna risk anything.

Heyward
09-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I'd keep Schafer on the playoff roster, not sure who you leave off though.

The Chosen One
09-27-2013, 10:32 PM
The only benefit of Schafer being on the roster is he's a left handed hitter. Problem is he hasn't hit anything and Elliot is a lefty.

Braves1976
09-27-2013, 10:41 PM
The only benefit of Schafer being on the roster is he's a left handed hitter. Problem is he hasn't hit anything and Elliot is a lefty.

Yea, like I said I do believe your case is solid. I just doubt Schafer is left off regardless.

bravesnumberone
09-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Been working and on the road all night, but a freaking great job by Medlen tonight. Now let's win tomorrow and Go Cubbies.

VirginiaBrave
09-28-2013, 01:23 AM
The is where I hate the win loss stat, both pitched awesome, vintage pitchers duel.

Nice win though.

Waah...cry me a river for Lee. He lost a baseball game. He didn't lose anything of any real value and he pitched well. No different than Smoltz in game seven of '91 WS. Thats what you compare tonight to.

Braves1976
09-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Waah...cry me a river for Lee. He lost a baseball game. He didn't lose anything of any real value and he pitched well. No different than Smoltz in game seven of '91 WS. Thats what you compare tonight to.

I wouldn't compare it to that game. It's too big a game to compare a regular season game that means nothing to Philly. Plus Smoltz didn't lose unlike Lee, Pena lost it for Atlanta in the 10th inning. As much as I try to forget that game it still comes back now and then. I've never been so crushed after a baseball loss in my life than after that game. The closest I've been to that feeling again is last year's so called one game playoff.

That said, I agree with your point about not crying for Lee. Hudson pitched a gem against the Dodgers and lost with the only run he allowed being a missed catch (basically an error but earned because it wasn't touched). At least in Lee's case the run was legit and he gave it up (not his defense failing him).

thewupk
09-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Lee's 'loss' is just further proof that wins and losses for a pitcher should be an obsolete stat. It never will be due to the history of the game but wins and losses are a team stat. Yes, I believe the starting pitcher has the most control of any of the other players whether the team wins or not but it's still a team stat. And it should be treated that way. Lee pitched great and most educated fans don't care about wins and losses for a pitcher.

Runnin
09-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Kudos to Kris Medlen. You need a starter, any starter, to step up and raise the bar for everyone else. He's done that for us in September the last 2 years. Hopefully it will motivate the rest of the pitching staff - Time to man up and follow My Little Pony.

thethe
09-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Kudos to Kris Medlen. You need a starter, any starter, to step up and raise the bar for everyone else. He's done that for us in September the last 2 years. Hopefully it will motivate the rest of the pitching staff - Time to man up and follow My Little Pony.

There is no disputing it anymore. As of this moment Kris Medlen is our best starting pitcher and he is pitching his best at the right time.

Hulavol
09-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Medlin will start game one on Thursday....;

NYCBrave
09-28-2013, 09:22 AM
The obvious answer to our last bench spot is, Uggla needs to be left off and Schafer should be added. Uggla adds no value to this team at all.

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 09:26 AM
The obvious answer to our last bench spot is, Uggla needs to be left off and Schafer should be added. Uggla adds no value to this team at all.

Carrying 3 4th OF would be dumb.

And Uggla is a better hitter than Schafer.

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 09:27 AM
There is no disputing it anymore. As of this moment Kris Medlen is our best starting pitcher and he is pitching his best at the right time.

Need him to keep dominating next week. Hopefully our pitching goes strong through the post season.

thethe
09-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Need him to keep dominating next week. Hopefully our pitching goes strong through the post season.

Agreed. But are you ready to admit that for the last 1 1/2 years that Medlen has been the best starting pitcher?

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Agreed. But are you ready to admit that for the last 1 1/2 years that Medlen has been the best starting pitcher?

He has by a smidgen. Minor has been better this year, but Medlen was better in the second half of last year.

NYCBrave
09-28-2013, 09:36 AM

That's a nice break for us if that's the case

The Chosen One
09-28-2013, 09:47 AM
The bullpen game for Philly is probably why St. Louis moved up Wainwright.

If Philly is basically throwing the game, they'll need Wainwright to at least get them through to tomorrow and hope we lose.

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
The bullpen game for Philly is probably why St. Louis moved up Wainwright.

If Philly is basically throwing the game, they'll need Wainwright to at least get them through to tomorrow and hope we lose.

I don't think Waino goes too hard today. They may pull him early so he can go game 1 with plenty of rest.

thewupk
09-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Minor has barely been better this year. In the first half it wasn't close but Minor has taken a little step back in the second half while Medlen has been flat out dominant. Overall the difference in the last year and a half has been about a .20 advantage for Medlen in FIP. Not sure if you would call that a smidgen but both have been really good.

AerchAngel
09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Minor has barely been better this year. In the first half it wasn't close but Minor has taken a little step back in the second half while Medlen has been flat out dominant. Overall the difference in the last year and a half has been about a .20 advantage for Medlen in FIP. Not sure if you would call that a smidgen but both have been really good.

I think Julio pitched better than them both if you include both halves in regards to consistency, plus FG had kid gloves on him (Teheran) when getting into the 6th inning. Understandable though because he hasn't pitched this many innings ever in a single season. Minor has done well, no doubt, but the latter half, it is like he is nonchalant out there and that troubles me. Medlen is not Maddox and never will be but he has similar bulldog mentality out there, Julio has it somewhat, but Minor does not. The stats will say this and that but your demeanor out there means as much as stats when crap hits the fan.

thethe
09-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Julio will be better than both for sure but right now its pretty obvious that Medlen is our best pitcher. Need to either lock him up or trade him for two top prospects.

AerchAngel
09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Julio will be better than both for sure but right now its pretty obvious that Medlen is our best pitcher. Need to either lock him up or trade him for two top prospects.

I agree, but I was saying the whole year. I trust Medlen more than anyone on the staff, then Julio is next in line, but you need Minor in the second slot and hopefully he brings it.

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Depending on today, Minor could crush Medlen. Minor sits with a 3.2 fWAR to Medlen's 2.5. Medlen pitched great down the stretch and Minor was average. Minor has a healthy FIP advantage And has pitched more innings per start.

jason27nc
09-28-2013, 10:37 AM

I hope he doesn't get locked up. Especially during the season. I think we will need him in the post season. I mean he seems like a good kid and that would not look good on his record.

thewupk
09-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Depending on today, Minor could crush Medlen. Minor sits with a 3.2 fWAR to Medlen's 2.5. Medlen pitched great down the stretch and Minor was average. Minor has a healthy FIP advantage And has pitched more innings per start.

3.48 to 3.39 isn't a healthy advantage. It's an advantage but nothing crazy. Medlen closed the gap quick with his great 2nd half.

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 11:25 AM
3.48 to 3.39 isn't a healthy advantage. It's an advantage but nothing crazy. Medlen closed the gap quick with his great 2nd half.

It is over a full season. Obviously not compared to their first halves. If Minor has a near full fWAR advantage then I think it's fair to say a smidgen.

Second half of last year Medlen had a full fWAR advantage over Minor in the second half as a starter. If Minor is close to that this year, then I don't think my statement is wrong.

NinersSBChamps
09-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Minor gives up way too many long balls.

zitothebrave
09-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Minor gives up way too many long balls.

One knock on him. Strikes out a good number, walks few.

goosecreekbrave
09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
I think it's Medlen, Minor, Julio in that order.
No question about it in my mind.
Here's a thought though, if Hudson hadn't been injured and continued his season like he had been, would he beat any of those 3?