PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Directors

zitothebrave
09-27-2013, 04:16 PM
So who you got?

For me my favorites are Scorsese, Kubrick, Leone, Coen Bros, Nolan, Kurasawa, Fellini, Tarantino, Eastwood, and more.

I'll discuss the more later if no one hits them.

Anyway. Why I like them.

Marty hasn't had a miss. Not easy to say that. Also don't know if someone has tackled the variety that he has. He's done mob movies, historicalish movies, thrillers, dramas, and even Hugo (which is freaking fantastic) Kubrick had a miss, Eyes Wide Shut. But he's got arguably the greatest Vietnam movie of all time, and I don't think there ever was someone who could so skillfully adapt a book as him. Coen Brothers certainly are awesome, Fargo, Big Lebowski, etc. Don't know if there are better active directors then them. Nolan is a very detail oriented director and I think that's why he works. Yes there is an issue at times that he has with odd plot twists. A short career for him so far but he hasn't really had a miss either. Leone and Kurasawa are legends of their epic craft. Kurasawa clearly influenced Leone but is there anyone who better crafted a shootout than Leone? Fellini is super bizarre but awesome. I think 8 1/2 is his magnum opus and it is just amazingly done. Tarantino is a master of imitation. Basically everything he does is an homage to someone he idolized. I think Reservoir Dogs is the perfect example of that. Eastwood has only done a handful of movies but he really hasn't had a miss. Of course I don't think he has an epic yet like the others on the list. Unforgiven is probably his closest to that.

Looking reading to hearing some people's lists.

Dalyn
09-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Nichols, Tarantino, Gilliam, Coen Brothers, Affleck, Eastwood, Scorsese, Hitchcock, Welles, and Allen immediately come to mind. I am sure I am forgetting a ton.

Gary82
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
The director of films Jack and Peggy Sue Got Married, Francis Ford Coppola.