PDA

View Full Version : The Pench Contract--Implications for McCann

nsacpi
09-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Pence extended for 5 years at 18M per year.

Pence is 30. Has put up WAR of 4.3, 1.6 and 5.3 in 2011, 2012 and 2013

McCann is 29. Has put up WAR of 3.9, 1.7 and 2.7 over the same period.

The Pence contract is expensive relative to other similar players who were free agents after last season. Nick Swisher, for example, got 4 years at 14M per year plus a vesting option. Swisher had put up WAR of 4.2, 3.4 and 3.8 from 2010-2012 and hit free agency at age 31.

I think the Pence premium over Swisher reflects the higher revenues coming in next year from the national TV deal and the fact he had such a good walk year, but also represents a bit of an overpay on the Giants' part.

My guess is the market price for McCann will end up about $16M for four years guaranteed. I'd be ok with the Braves going that high.

thethe
09-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Should not go that high unless the total payroll is going to go up to 110 million.

Heyward
09-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Love Mac, not sure I'd go that high though.

I would do 4/60.

Years is the main concern with me, don't think he will age well.

goosecreekbrave
09-28-2013, 02:58 PM
yeah if we go to 4 years then the total has to come down. maybe 3/48 or even 3/50 with an option for 4th?

50PoundHead
09-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I'd give him $18 million a year for 3 years. I wouldn't go a fourth.

cajunrevenge
09-28-2013, 08:34 PM
18 million a year for Pence is crazy. Its like they said "Well Zito's contract is ending so we need to replace it with another really bad contract".

Enscheff
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I think I would have a very hard time signing Mac to that kind of money unless Uggla or BJ were unloaded. I am not the biggest Gattis fan, but considering his low cost and the fact he has Laird backing him up, I see no reason to pay Mac premium dollars during his decline years.

The only way I can see carrying Mac, Uggla and BJ on the roster is if Justin is traded for a huge piece and Gattis is slotted into LF permanently. And with my mancrush on Justin, I really hope that doesn't happen.

zitothebrave
09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
18 million a year for Pence is crazy. Its like they said "Well Zito's contract is ending so we need to replace it with another really bad contract".

That's what I told my brother was happening. Giants had some free cash and decided it was better to blow it now then wait until the offseason to blow it.

graffy
09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
McCann will be playing in the American League next year.

Diesel
09-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Not that this comment is totally relevant to the financial and age considerations significant to keeping McCann, but it is my opinion that this team needs more of the McCann/Prado/Heyward types of hitters and less of the BJ/Gattis/Uggla types.

Interpret that how you will, but I think you feel me.

gilesfan
09-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Pence will go down as one of worst contracts in baseball. Nice job, SF>

gtcway
09-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Pence will go down as one of worst contracts in baseball. Nice job, SF>

Whoever ends up signing Robinson Cano will likely have the same problem. What do you guys think will be his final numbers?

I say 8 years 200 million. Not that I think he deserves anywhere near that though.

yeezus
09-30-2013, 11:48 AM
I think if McCann were going to take a hometown discount he would have been signed already. He's going to go all-out as a free agent IMO, and I don't see how we can outbid another team without hurting our future too much. As I said months ago, this is the type of move a smart GM and organization doesn't make in order to not be strapped with a bad contract in the future.

NYCBrave
09-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I think if McCann were going to take a hometown discount he would have been signed already. He's going to go all-out as a free agent IMO, and I don't see how we can outbid another team without hurting our future too much. As I said months ago, this is the type of move a smart GM and organization doesn't make in order to not be strapped with a bad contract in the future.

We're definitely offering him arbitration right?

thethe
09-30-2013, 12:08 PM
We're definitely offering him arbitration right?

Without question. It would even be great for the team if he accepted it. I would go one year contract at a time with Mac for sure.

ProbationDeac
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Sad but true.

I don't see him taking arbitration either. His stock is really high right now and he's going to get paid.

thethe
09-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm surprised that so many on this board actually believe Mac will be back.

NYCBrave
09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Without question. It would even be great for the team if he accepted it. I would go one year contract at a time with Mac for sure.

And what would be the implications for us if he took it? Do we have room for that?

thethe
09-30-2013, 12:30 PM
And what would be the implications for us if he took it? Do we have room for that?

Yeah, absolutely. For one year its very doable. I think its only a 2 million increase on his current salary. Every major league team is getting 25 million additional revenue dollars this year. Lets say the Braves only reinvest 10 million. You still have 8 million from there to take care of other raises. Braves are likely to say goodbye to EOF and get Huddy for a lesser deal. There will be money.

NYCBrave
09-30-2013, 01:10 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't we have left over payroll from this year that we never used that we were told we could re-invest during the deadline?

thethe
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't we have left over payroll from this year that we never used that we were told we could re-invest during the deadline?

Yeah, but I'm sure our absentee ownership just pocketed it.

VOLracious
09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Mac will get paid. His value is as a catcher though. His bat isn't really DH worthy. I'm a little skeptical that some AL team is going to empty the bank for him as a DH. A catcher with his bat is worth some cash. You have to figure how long he can catch and pay him for that. Would Mac sign with the Phils?

bravebonebook
09-30-2013, 01:44 PM
God, I would hate him if he signed with the Philthies. :mad0182: Glavine may appear now as a Braves announcer, he won the final game of Atlanta's only world championship but I will always hold him in less esteem (borderline disgust) because he bailed to New York of all places. BMac should be a lifetime Brave like Chipper was and it sucks that the economics probably won't support that. If McCann compounds the problem by signing with another NL East team than ^&%%#& him!!

bravebonebook
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure our absentee ownership just pocketed it.

Careful. There's a couple of guys on here who'll tell you with charts and graphs that Liberty makes no profit from the team and money saved on the Braves (or not spent on them) will never make it into the pockets of the owners, CEOs, CFOs, CEAs or any stockholder...ever!

Bye Week
09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Hunter Pence at 18M per year.:Gasp:

gtcway
09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Hunter Pence at 18M per year.:Gasp:

I think that's the best use of that emoticon I've seen yet.

Bama9507
09-30-2013, 03:06 PM
God, I would hate him if he signed with the Philthies. :mad0182: Glavine may appear now as a Braves announcer, he won the final game of Atlanta's only world championship but I will always hold him in less esteem (borderline disgust) because he bailed to New York of all places. BMac should be a lifetime Brave like Chipper was and it sucks that the economics probably won't support that. If McCann compounds the problem by signing with another NL East team than ^&%%#& him!!

Calm down little guy

cajunrevenge
09-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Brian isnt going to the Phillies unless they are comfortable fielding 6 of 8 position players as lefties.

And Brian wont ever be in the same category as Benedict Glavine. Glavine left for no reason other than satisfying the union cronies. On top of that he went to the Mutts with the stated goal of ending the streak. He didnt have the balls to stand up to his agent and the union. He cries like a baby to JS about not wanting to go but did it anyways.

bravebonebook
09-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Calm down little guy

Heh, haven't heard that since 2nd grade back in 1975!

Braves1976
09-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Brian isnt going to the Phillies unless they are comfortable fielding 6 of 8 position players as lefties.

And Brian wont ever be in the same category as Benedict Glavine. Glavine left for no reason other than satisfying the union cronies. On top of that he went to the Mutts with the stated goal of ending the streak. He didnt have the balls to stand up to his agent and the union. He cries like a baby to JS about not wanting to go but did it anyways.

I basically agree with you totally. Good point about the Phillies and lefties. I expect they'll re-sign Ruiz as there seems to be mutual interest in doing so.

That said, I still expect Mac to end up signing with the Texas Rangers. Though I am sure other teams with make a run at him too.

cajunrevenge
09-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah I am convinced it will be the Rangers. Gonna guess 6 years 90 million.

nsacpi
09-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Yeah I am convinced it will be the Rangers. Gonna guess 6 years 90 million.

It will come down to us and the Rangers and Brian will accept a slightly smaller offer from us. 4 years, 16M/year, with an option year.

The Chosen One
09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
What was all of this about Glavine not returning because of union pressure?

Also, why is the thread title called The Pench Contract. H and E are nowhere near each other on an american keyboard.

nsacpi
09-30-2013, 04:00 PM
What was all of this about Glavine not returning because of union pressure?

Also, why is the thread title called The Pench Contract. H and E are nowhere near each other on an american keyboard.

Pench is Serbo-Croatian for bad deal. Pronounced pank, like plank with the l missing.

thethe
09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
If we lose either Freeman/Heyward because we are paying a 30+ year old catcher16 million a year I am going to flip.

The Chosen One
09-30-2013, 04:04 PM
If we lose either Freeman/Heyward because we are paying a 30+ year old catcher16 million a year I am going to flip.

We aren't going to be able to afford Kimbrel, Medlen, Minor, Tehearn, Simmons either.

thethe
09-30-2013, 04:11 PM
We aren't going to be able to afford Kimbrel, Medlen, Minor, Tehearn, Simmons either.

As long as we keep Heyward/Freeman/Simmons/Teheran long term I'm fine with whatever decisions are made. Thats the core and I would consider trying to lock up Teheran now.

Dalyn
09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
McCann is going to Oakland. (I hope) :elefant:

NYCBrave
10-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Not that this was much of a surprise:

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that the Rangers are expected to target impending free agent Brian McCann this offseason.

Knobler says that the Rangers "have repeatedly tried to trade for McCann" and "had scouts following the Braves closely" in order to watch the catcher. With Evan Gattis around, the Braves are not expected to make a serious effort at re-signing McCann, but you can bet that other teams will be in on the bidding.

Heyward
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM

As Cajun said, they are ridiculousally left handed heavy.

Current left handed starters next year are Howard, Utley, Asche, Brown and Revere.

My guess they bring back Ruiz, I thought they may bring in Pence to balance out their lefties

Assuming we don't keep him, I'd guess the Rangers sign him.

Heyward
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
What would you guys think to bringing in AJ Pierzynski for a year?

If we can't keep Mac?

PawPawMaxwell
10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
What would you guys think to bringing in AJ Pierzynski for a year?

If we can't keep Mac?
I suggested this a couple weeks ago. If Mac leaves will have to have a LH hitting catcher in backup.

Braves1976
10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I suggested this a couple weeks ago. If Mac leaves will have to have a LH hitting catcher in backup.

If you recall, I agreed with you. I am fine with moving Laird and replacing him with AJ depending on the cost and years. If so, I'd only sign him to a one year deal like Texas did with him this year.

PawPawMaxwell
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
If you recall, I agreed with you. I am fine with moving Laird and replacing him with AJ depending on the cost and years. If so, I'd only sign him to a one year deal like Texas did with him this year.
Yeah I recall several who agreed. I think Fredi has uncovered the Holy Grail with 3 catchers (not really but Gattis shows the value in having 3) but he cant have 3 RH hitters.