PDA

View Full Version : Playoff roster announcement?

tululush
09-30-2013, 09:52 AM
When will we know the official roster for the DS? Curious to see if Uggla and BJ make it on.

thethe
09-30-2013, 09:57 AM
I would say that BJ makes it. NOt so sure about Uggla.

graffy
09-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I doubt we hear anything official until Wednesday.

zitothebrave
09-30-2013, 10:02 AM
I think BJ and Uggla make it, though it's not a lock. I can't imagine Schafer making it over BJ and the Braves wont' go with too many Cs.

My guess for position players its

C - Mac and Laird
1B - Freeman
2B - Johnson Uggla
SS - Simmons
3B - Johnson
OF - Gattis, Justin, Jason, BJ and Reed

nsacpi
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I doubt we hear anything official until Wednesday.

Agree. Among other reasons, they want to see how Walden is throwing and how he's feeling.

thethe
09-30-2013, 10:04 AM
I think BJ and Uggla make it, though it's not a lock. I can't imagine Schafer making it over BJ and the Braves wont' go with too many Cs.

C - Mac and Laird
1B - Freeman
2B - Johnson Uggla
SS - Simmons
3B - Johnson

I just don't see what Uggla brings to the table at this point. I think he would be dead weight on the roster. At least Janish can play a sick D.

graffy
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM

C - Mac and Laird
1B - Freeman
2B - Johnson Uggla
SS - Simmons
3B - Johnson

I don't think they will carry 13 pitchers for a 5 games series.

stpeteirish
09-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I think they can wait until the day of the game to announce the roster. Usual breakdown is one less pitcher than the regular season, for me that would be Maholm. Extra position player gives us plenty of room for Uggla and BJ.

zitothebrave
09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
I just don't see what Uggla brings to the table at this point. I think he would be dead weight on the roster. At least Janish can play a sick D.

What Uggla brings is a second bat off the bench. is there anyone you'd take over him? Schafer? Terds? Constanza? Janish? BJ?

Braves will probably carry at least for the DS both Janish and Uggla. But to me I take the bat.

nsacpi
09-30-2013, 10:31 AM
I think they will go with 14 position players and 11 pitchers.

The 14 position players: McCann, Laird, Freeman, E Johnson, Simmons, C Johnson, Gattis, Heyward, J Upton, BJ Upton, Schafer, Constanza, Uggla, R Johnson

The 11 pitchers: Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Garcia, Kimbrel, Carpenter, Ayala, Avilan, Downs, Wood will be ten. The 11th will be Walden if healthy. If not Maholm.

If they go with 12 pitchers, Varvaro would be the guy. The guy on the bubble among position players is probably Constanza. I think the two pinch hits he got in the Phillies series probably won a spot for Constanza. It makes sense to me to have Constanza there as a second lefty bat/pinch runner on the bench because the Dodgers use mainly right-handed relievers in high leverage situations. We might have a long game where we need two lefty pinch hitters.

The other consideration is Chris Johnson's shoulder. If it is iffy they might want Janish instead of Constanza. But I don't think so given the option of bringing in Uggla (yes the thought of Uggla as a defensive replacement is a bit mind boggling) and moving Elliot Johnson to third.

NYCBrave
09-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Janish has played 9 games at 2B, 6 games at SS and 36 games at 3B this year. I'm assuming he could be our primary backup infielder and good reason to leave Uggla off of the roster.

At that point, as crazy as it sounds, I want Constanza in there over Uggla. Do you really want Uggla in a key situation off of the bench? The only thing he can really do for us is take a walk. He hit .122 in September in 60 plate appearances. He's done.

Runnin
09-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I can't believe that they will leave either Uggla or BJ off the roster, know matter how much they might deserve it. How much salary is that between them?

At least you know they will both be motivated, though that doesn't make me feel much better.

tululush
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
I bet they leave BJ on and leave Uggla off. BJ will be used as a late game defensive replacement for Gattis and with CJ's shoulder they'll carry Janish over Uggla. That's my guess.

I can't believe that they will leave either Uggla or BJ off the roster, know matter how much they might deserve it. How much salary is that between them?

At least you know they will both be motivated, though that doesn't make me feel much better.

50PoundHead
09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
zito, I think it will be Schafer over Reed Johnson. Don't know about Uggla. Janish does bring the ability to play SS if that would become necessary. I think they will go with 11 or 12 pitchers.

bravebonebook
09-30-2013, 11:37 AM
If there were no personal feelings involved I could see Uggla left off the roster. We all know he has been abysmal this year! But this not being a video game where the characters have no feelings, I just think the team chemistry would nosedive if Uggla were left off. Struggles aside, he seems to be a favorite in the clubhouse and a 'team leader' (cough cough). I'm sure this chafes every one on here but IMO, I don't see the management risking that kind of bad mojo by leaving the big veteran off the postseason roster, warranted or not!

NYCBrave
09-30-2013, 11:46 AM
If there were no personal feelings involved I could see Uggla left off the roster. We all know he has been abysmal this year! But this not being a video game where the characters have no feelings, I just think the team chemistry would nosedive if Uggla were left off. Struggles aside, he seems to be a favorite in the clubhouse and a 'team leader' (cough cough). I'm sure this chafes every one on here but IMO, I don't see the management risking that kind of bad mojo by leaving the big veteran off the postseason roster, warranted or not!

I mean, can't he still sit in the dugout with the team? I touched on the human side of things yesterday, but the team has to understand the situation of how historically bad he's been

stpeteirish
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Kind of amazing that Elliot Johnson is now a lock for the postseason roster and probably a starter. Vs their great starting pitching he'a a better choice than Uggla, who can't even hit bad pitching now. EJ might scratch out a leg hit or bunt, steal a base, and help us manufacture a run in what almost certainly be a low scoring game.

I think you need Janish to replace CJ defensively, and have the roster space to do it. You don't need Costanza if you already have EJ and Schafer.

There's room for Uggla and BJ with one less pitcher needed.

ProbationDeac
09-30-2013, 12:25 PM

They will both be on the roster and some on here will go nuts and demand Fredi fired on the spot. Should be fun!

Julio3000
09-30-2013, 12:38 PM

The 14 position players: McCann, Laird, Freeman, E Johnson, Simmons, C Johnson, Gattis, Heyward, J Upton, BJ Upton, Schafer, Constanza, Uggla, R Johnson

The 11 pitchers: Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Garcia, Kimbrel, Carpenter, Ayala, Avilan, Downs, Wood will be ten. The 11th will be Walden if healthy. If not Maholm.

If they go with 12 pitchers, Varvaro would be the guy. The guy on the bubble among position players is probably Constanza. I think the two pinch hits he got in the Phillies series probably won a spot for Constanza. It makes sense to me to have Constanza there as a second lefty bat/pinch runner on the bench because the Dodgers use mainly right-handed relievers in high leverage situations. We might have a long game where we need two lefty pinch hitters.

The other consideration is Chris Johnson's shoulder. If it is iffy they might want Janish instead of Constanza. But I don't think so given the option of bringing in Uggla (yes the thought of Uggla as a defensive replacement is a bit mind boggling) and moving Elliot Johnson to third.

Is CJ's throwing shoulder hurt? I was watching from the 3B line Saturday and he was windmilling and shaking his arm while taking IF between innings.

bravesnumberone
09-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Heyward
Justin
Freeman
CJ/Gattis
Mac
Gattis/CJ
Simmons
EJ/Uggla

Bench
Laird
EJ/Uggla
BJ
Schafer
Reed
Janish or Jose (probably Janish)

Medlen
Minor
Teheran
Garcia

Kimbrel
Carpenter
Avilan
Downs
Wood
Ayala
Walden if healthy. If not, Maholm or Varvaro

JohnAdcox
09-30-2013, 12:53 PM

If they go with 12 pitchers, Varvaro would be the guy.

Just curious ... why Maholm over Varvaro?

nsacpi
Is CJ's throwing shoulder hurt? I was watching from the 3B line Saturday and he was windmilling and shaking his arm while taking IF between innings.

He jammed it diving for a ball. That's why he was given yesterday off.

nsacpi
Just curious ... why Maholm over Varvaro?

Possible long game. I want Fredi to be able to manage the pen aggressively to get the best platoon matchup. That means burning through a lot of pitchers. He can do that more comfortably knowing the last guy in the pen can go five or more innings if necessary. Also could step in if a starter had to leave early.

bravebonebook
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
They will both be on the roster and some on here will go nuts and demand Fredi fired on the spot. Should be fun!

Prognostication: the real BJ will return from whatever alien planet he was abducted to have a great playoff performance and Uggla will have some memorable hit or homer to win a game for us this post-season.

Just to, you know, make most of your heads explode!!

BRule
09-30-2013, 02:48 PM
According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are leaning toward Freddy Garcia for NLDS Game 4.

Tapate50
09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are leaning toward Freddy Garcia for NLDS Game 4.
Garcia earned that start by posting a 1.65 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 20/5 K/BB ratio over his final 27 1/3 innings this year for Atlanta. But he owns a 4.84 ERA in 187 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 season and will face an extremely tough test at Dodger Stadium.

Sorry for the repost. Might have some additional info in it though.

cajunrevenge
09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I'll wait until that game is over to critisize. If we win Fredi's a genius. If we lose he's an idiot. But hey, from what I hear we wont even make it to a game 4.

bravesnumberone
09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't care if he wins or loses, if we go down 2-1, there is no damn sense in not pitching Medlen in game 4.

ProbationDeac
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I'll wait until that game is over to critisize. If we win Fredi's lucky. If we lose he's an idiot. But hey, from what I hear we wont even make it to a game 4.

Fixed. Many will never give him credit for anything.

Dalyn
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Garcia earned that start by posting a 1.65 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 20/5 K/BB ratio over his final 27 1/3 innings this year for Atlanta. But he owns a 4.84 ERA in 187 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 season and will face an extremely tough test at Dodger Stadium.

Sorry for the repost. Might have some additional info in it though.

What an odd way to use the word earned.

Dalyn
09-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Fixed. Many will never give him credit for anything.

Fredi could be the best manager in the game right now, and it wouldn't change that pitching Garcia is a bad move. Regardless of how Garcia performs, it is an unnecessary risk that potentially weakens both the rotation and the bullpen.