PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the stud and who will be the dud?

thethe
10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I believe the following two players will have a big impact on our success this postseason (in a good and bad way):

Stud:
Andrelton Simmons - all the attention goes to his glove but I am a big believer in his bat and I have a feeling he is going to but out in a big way

Dud:
J-Upt - I am not happy with where his swing is right now and I get the impression that he might try to press a little more than normal in the playoffs

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Stud: Gattis - legend will grow further. I expect a dramatic home run or two out of him against the Dodgers

Dud: Chris Johnson - the BABIP gods will desert Chris and on his next head-first slide a bunch of dirt will lodge in his sinal passages, requiring surgery and sidelining him for the rest of the season. TP will stay behind with him to hold his hand in the hospital as he recovers.

ProbationDeac
10-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I believe the following two players will have a big impact on our success this postseason (in a good and bad way):

Stud:
Andrelton Simmons - all the attention goes to his glove but I am a big believer in his bat and I have a feeling he is going to but out in a big way

Dud:
J-Upt - I am not happy with where his swing is right now and I get the impression that he might try to press a little more than normal in the playoffs

I actually feel really good about J-Up right now, he appeared to be heating up to end the season. I agree on Simmons, I just get the feeling he's going to come through in a big way.

Stud-

Jason Heyward- I think it's huge to have him back. He's starting to swing the bat again and I think he'll have some big hits in the playoffs.

Dud-

McCann struggled the last month and add the injury and I think he'll continue to struggle. HOPE I am wrong.

thethe
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I wanted to go with Heyward but I am almost so sure about him doing it I didn't even think it was worth putting him in there.

I hope you are right about Upton. I think more than anyone else on the team he can completely wreck a series and win it for the team. So much potential in his bat but he just disappears so often.

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Stud: My mancrush, JUp. I fully expect him to go full-Beltran in the postseason. He seems to play better when he has extra motivation (first few weeks with a new team, games against his old team, right after Huddy went down for the season, the last couple weeks to clinch the NL East), so I expect big things from him.

Dud: Gattis. I have a feeling the 3 Dodger studs are going to completely carve him up. And by carve him up, I mean make him routinely look foolish in front of the whole nation on prime time TV. If he sees a single fastball to hit I would be very surprised. I expect his defense in LF to hurt the team in the same way Chipper's did last year, and Conrad's did a few years ago...game changing error(s).

seanyates
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Dud:

He's batting .328/.359/.525 since September 13th. What's not to like about that?

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I actually feel really good about J-Up right now, he appeared to be heating up to end the season. I agree on Simmons, I just get the feeling he's going to come through in a big way.

Stud-

Jason Heyward- I think it's huge to have him back. He's starting to swing the bat again and I think he'll have some big hits in the playoffs.

Dud-

McCann struggled the last month and add the injury and I think he'll continue to struggle. HOPE I am wrong.

Giving Laird the start against Kershaw might not be the worst move in the world...

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
He's batting .328/.359/.525 since September 13th. What's not to like about that?

Nothing. Saying something like "I am not happy with where his swing is right now" is laughable coming from an internet forum poster.

JUp seems to have a bit of a motivation problem, which is likely why he fell out of favor in AZ. Turn up the intensity level of the games, and he seems to respond. I hope to see more of the same in the playoffs.

Julio3000
10-01-2013, 10:43 AM
JUp absolutely pounded the ball on Saturday. I think he's ok.

thethe
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Yes he turned it on towards the end of the month and had a big game against Philly but I just don't think he is what people think he is. He has that potential but he hasn't shown it to the Braves yet on a consistent basis.

thethe
10-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Nothing. Saying something like "I am not happy with where his swing is right now" is laughable coming from an internet forum poster.

JUp seems to have a bit of a motivation problem, which is likely why he fell out of favor in AZ. Turn up the intensity level of the games, and he seems to respond. I hope to see more of the same in the playoffs.

Why is that first comment even necessary? If you don't like what I said then just provide details as opposed to just attacking the poster.

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Why is that first comment even necessary? If you don't like what I said then just provide details as opposed to just attacking the poster.

Because it was a silly statement to make. As if you are a hitting coach with a direct line to JUp himself and can call him in for a quick tee session to get his swing back up to your standards. Or you have spent hours analyzing JUp's swing mechanics during his hot/cold periods and have isolated a problem in his current swing.

I'm guessing none of that is true.

MrShwag
10-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Stud: Terry Pendleton - He will be huge enforcer for us on the basepaths AND in the dugout.
Dud: Tim Hudson - I just think he's going to come up empty this series. I don't think he'll get any wins or even a strikeout.

Heyward
10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Stud: JUp

Dud: CJ

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Stud: Justin, CJ, and Gattis

Dud: McCann, Freeman, and Uggla

Bdawg2309
10-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Stud:

Dud:

Well at least you've stuck with your stance against upton all season long

Bdawg2309
10-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Stud: freeman
Dud: McCann

ESP47
10-01-2013, 01:09 PM

the gonna the.

thethe
10-01-2013, 01:12 PM

I'm hard on him (not that that means anything in reality) because its clear he has the ability to be a star. Why it hasn't happened yet on a consistent basis is a damn mystery.

JohnAdcox
10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Giving Laird the start against Kershaw might not be the worst move in the world...

Or Gattis, given BJ's semi-resurgence. (The latter half of that is not meant seriously.) I assume BJ and Uggla don't count for the dud category? Fish in a barrel and all that?

Pugfan
10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Stud. Medlen
Dud. Gattis

thethe
10-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I actually anticipated a lot of people picking Gattis as the dud. He does have his issues with quality starting pitching. Hopefully he can jump on some fastballs in the zone.

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I actually anticipated a lot of people picking Gattis as the dud. He does have his issues with quality starting pitching. Hopefully he can jump on some fastballs in the zone.

Gattis has shown an ability to rise to the occasion.

thethe
10-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Gattis has shown an ability to rise to the occasion.

We aren't talking about Alex here?

All kidding aside, I do agree. Gattis does seem to have that ability. Hopefully it will come through. If we can get production for someone other than Jason/Freddie I think we are going to win a bunch of games this postseason. I just expect Jason/Freddie to do well.

GovClintonTyree
10-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes he turned it on towards the end of the month and had a big game against Philly but I just don't think he is what people think he is. He has that potential but he hasn't shown it to the Braves yet on a consistent basis.

That's because he's a shiftless negro who tends to get on his high horse.

atl717
10-01-2013, 02:59 PM
I guarantee over reactions based on a tiny sample size(4 games). All this stuff is a crapshoot and the timing of it most fans don't understand.

That said ill be pissed if we don't win

50PoundHead
10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
We playing Mystery Date here or something?

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 04:27 PM

That's the problem as I see it tho...

I can't imagine Gattis getting ANY fastballs in the zone against the Dodgers starters. All 3 of them have good enough offspeed stuff that there is no reason to challenge him with a fastball...not even once.

I think the more likely scenario is that he ambushes a get-me-over offspeed pitch early in a count because he went up there looking for it knowing he won't see anything straight and hittable.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 04:32 PM
That's the problem as I see it tho...

I can't imagine Gattis getting ANY fastballs in the zone against the Dodgers starters. All 3 of them have good enough offspeed stuff that there is no reason to challenge him with a fastball...not even once.

I think the more likely scenario is that he ambushes a get-me-over offspeed pitch early in a count because he went up there looking for it knowing he won't see anything straight and hittable.

Gattis will get a pitch or three to hit. It just sucks that his other at-bats will also take place batting fourth. :mad0182:

thethe
10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
As long as that pitch to hit happens with a copule of runners on I think we will be happy. I still have faith in him long term but as of now I worry that he won't be able to do anything against a tough pitching staff.

cajunrevenge
10-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Pitching stud - Medlen - He is a damn good pitcher who is peaking at the right time. He pitched pretty good in the play-in game last year. I think he can be and will be an ace this post season.
Hitting stud - Freeman -

Pitching Dud - The whole pen - I have a bad feeling they are going to blow 1-2 games this series. I am going to **** bricks if I see Ayala or Downs this series.
Hittind Dud - McCann -

CrimsonCowboy
10-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Stud: Jason Heyward
When he has been healthy, he's shown he can be a guy to carry this team on offense. I really think his time has come. He's ready to take the step we have been waiting for.

Dud: B.J. Upton
See 2013 stats for the reason

thethe
10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Pitching stud - Medlen - He is a damn good pitcher who is peaking at the right time. He pitched pretty good in the play-in game last year. I think he can be and will be an ace this post season.
Hitting stud - Freeman -

Pitching Dud - The whole pen - I have a bad feeling they are going to blow 1-2 games this series. I am going to **** bricks if I see Ayala or Downs this series.
Hittind Dud - McCann -

Yeah, if that Chipper error never happened Medlen probably pitches a complete game and the Braves win. Really sucked that Chipper went out like that.

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Anyone who voted for Dud- Uggla---Vote again. We need to keep this meaningless thread open.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Anyone who voted for Dud- Uggla---Vote again. We need to keep this meaningless thread open.

I think it should count as the ultimate win. :icon_biggrin:

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Stud: Jason Heyward
When he has been healthy, he's shown he can be a guy to carry this team on offense. I really think his time has come. He's ready to take the step we have been waiting for.

Dud: B.J. Upton
See 2013 stats for the reason

I would be surprised if BJ gets more than a single AB this postseason. My guess is he will PR for Gattis and take over defensively in the OF.

cajunrevenge
10-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah, if that Chipper error never happened Medlen probably pitches a complete game and the Braves win. Really sucked that Chipper went out like that.

I doubt it would have been a complete game, when you have the best closer in the game you dont let him sit with the season on the line. Maybe any game other than an elimination game. I have so much faith in Medlen right now its crazy. In my mind if we win game 1 vs Kershaw the series is ours.

stpeteirish
10-01-2013, 06:38 PM

somebody already posted his batting average since sept 16th, that's a little more substantive than "I am not happy with his swing right now".

NinersSBChamps
10-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Stud: Elliot Johnson. Not stud like numbers, but he will do some things at the plate that will really help this team out. His solid defense will continue and he will be a pest on the base paths.

Dud: Evan Gattis because it just makes sense. I am just hoping his defense doesn't cost us a game.

Carp
10-02-2013, 03:09 AM
McCann is Mr. October. He's going to carry us. Just watch

thewupk
10-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Stud: JUP - Dude has turned it on lately and seems to be in one of those streaks again

Dud: Gattis, guy has a few holes in his swing and is supper aggressive. I see Kershaw and Greinke especially exploiting this.