PDA

View Full Version : 20 Longest Homeruns of 2013

Orphan Black
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Fun watch

20 Longest Homeruns of 2013 (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/20-longest-home-runs-2013-baseball-season-172145873--mlb.html)

50PoundHead
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for posting this. It was entertaining.

I don't know the physics of it all (and this isn't surprising), but I was struck by how few of the balls were really pulled. A vast majority hit from the alleys toward center (with a bunch of them heading to dead center). Probably has something to do with the hitter being balanced when contact is made and the ball doing some of the work.

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Gattis hit that into the wind too.

Diesel
10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Pretty close. When balls are pulled, hitters have to get off the merry go round a little early to get the bat to the ball. What I mean by that is, to disconnect from the power source (thighs, torso, shoulders). The longer a hitter collects energy from the larger muscles, the more power generated. Swing late, and hitters havent had the time and rotation to generate maximum energy.

Runnin
10-01-2013, 09:02 PM
LMAO at some of those announcers. And people think Chip is bad?

50PoundHead
10-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Pretty close. When balls are pulled, hitters have to get off the merry go round a little early to get the bat to the ball. What I mean by that is, to disconnect from the power source (thighs, torso, shoulders). The longer a hitter collects energy from the larger muscles, the more power generated. Swing late, and hitters havent had the time and rotation to generate maximum energy.

I just know the rare times I really connected with a pitch (and I assure you it never went very far even when I did), it was usually a line drive right up the middle. These guys get elevation and the result is 450+.

ESP47
10-02-2013, 09:13 AM
LMAO at some of those announcers. And people think Chip is bad?

Haha no kidding. As soon as Adam Dunn hit that first home run and I heard "You can put it on the boooaaarrrdddd", I just closed the page and went and did something else. Who needs water boarding as a torture device when you can just put Hawk Harrelson's catch phrases on repeat?

kingphatcow
10-02-2013, 10:12 AM
what about a video of all the homeruns that hit a fan in the dick?

Enscheff
10-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for posting this. It was entertaining.

I don't know the physics of it all (and this isn't surprising), but I was struck by how few of the balls were really pulled. A vast majority hit from the alleys toward center (with a bunch of them heading to dead center). Probably has something to do with the hitter being balanced when contact is made and the ball doing some of the work.

When guys pull the pull or go the other way they typically get a lot side spin, which is why the balls hook and slice. When they hit it from gap to gap they get mostly backspin, which helps the ball carry.