PDA

View Full Version : GDT 9/23: Alvarez v Teheran

Freshmaker
09-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Of course the one game I come to this season Freddie has a stomach bug 😡

Freshmaker
09-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Suntrust is really nice! I'm in section 213. They did a really good job with this place

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 06:52 PM
expecting a yuge game from Peterson

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Ozzie flummoxed by the eephus

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Big River

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Dansby having a good game now that I've lifted the malediction.

thethe
09-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Camargo needs to get 600 PA next year.

BeanieAntics
09-23-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm still fairly confident that Camargo is playing way over his head at the moment, but he is one of the first players in a while that has made me question the metrics that I'm looking at. I still think he is a utility bench player, but damn...

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm still fairly confident that Camargo is playing way over his head at the moment, but he is one of the first players in a while that has made me question the metrics that I'm looking at. I still think he is a utility bench player, but damn...

There is room for the BABIP to normalize and for him to remain a good enough player to hold down third.

CrimsonCowboy
09-23-2017, 09:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/P6x0U.gif

Enscheff
09-23-2017, 09:05 PM

Chris Johnson rode a full season .391 BABIP to a batting title and a pretty nice contract extension that offseason. He was then predictably terrible for the rest of his career.

The metrics are not wrong on Camargo. He is a good utility player, or a low end regular.

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Chris Johnson rode a full season .391 BABIP to a batting title and a pretty nice contract extension that offseason. He was then predictably terrible for the rest of his career.

The metrics are not wrong on Camargo. He is a good utility player, or a low end regular.

If he gets the strikeout rate to 15% (and typically it has been there or lower in his minor league career) and sustains the ISO bump we've seen this year, I would take a Camargo with a .320 BABIP as my third baseman. Especially considering cost of the alternatives. There are a few ifs. But I think it is plausible he can bring down the K rate (which is already below 20% in the second half) and sustain the ISO.

Oklahomabrave
09-23-2017, 09:13 PM

I agree about the metrics, but hate the idea of comparing him to CJ. At least Camargo has a few decent tools. Mainly I hope someone else buys into the idea he could be a budding good young SS and trades for him.

But I do think he could possibly have 2 WAR upside.

nsacpi
09-23-2017, 09:20 PM
2 or 2.5 WAR on minimum salary is much preferable than 3-4 at market price

msstate7
09-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Missed game tonight to watch my dawgs get killed... nice to see Teheran have another nice start and dansby get 2 hits.

Enscheff
09-23-2017, 10:20 PM
I agree about the metrics, but hate the idea of comparing him to CJ. At least Camargo has a few decent tools. Mainly I hope someone else buys into the idea he could be a budding good young SS and trades for him.

But I do think he could possibly have 2 WAR upside.

I didn't mean to compare Camargo to CJ as a way to suggest they are similar players.

It was just an example of how misleading an inflated BABIP can be, and how it's possible for it to stay inflated for an entire season.

Enscheff
09-23-2017, 10:22 PM
2 or 2.5 WAR on minimum salary is much preferable than 3-4 at market price

Can't disagree with that. Camargo at 3B paired with a legit addition in LF might be the most efficient way to improve this offense.

However, by xwOBA, Camargo has been about as good as Jace and Rio (~.300). I see nothing in Camargo's profile that leads me to think he will continue to outproduce his expected production.

Of all the Braves with 100+ ABs, Camargo has been the 2nd luckiest. Ruiz and Jace have been the 2 most unlucky. When all that luck starts to normalize, I think we will see a group of very similar players that aren't good enough to be everyday guys.