PDA

View Full Version : Uggla likely to not be on NLDS roster

tvsportscaster
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/2013/10/01/uggla-could-be-left-off-the-braves-nlds-roster/

thethe
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Thats the right move. He has no use to this team.

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Cant say I am surprised. Such a volatile subject on forum boards but Im guessing that this is the beginning of the end for Uggla in Atlanta.

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
If Uggla is not on the roster than means Janish is. They do need one backup infielder. I would go with Uggla over Janish. Suppose Elliott Johnson gets hurt. Do you want Janish or Uggla playing the remaining games at second?

tvsportscaster
10-01-2013, 03:31 PM
If Uggla is not on the roster than means Janish is. They do need one backup infielder. I would go with Uggla over Janish. Suppose Elliott Johnson gets hurt. Do you want Janish or Uggla playing the remaining games at second?

There is a new rule in place now that if Johnson gets hurt and needs replacing you can add Uggla mid series now.

CJC
10-01-2013, 03:31 PM
I"d rather play Janish, honestly.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Well. Nailed him being a dud. :Gasp:

thethe
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I"d rather play Janish, honestly.

Agreed. You know for sure that Janish will play great defense. With Uggla, you just don't know if he will provide anything of positive value. He could suck as bad as Janish with th ebat and provide ZERO defensive value.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 03:40 PM
If not Uggla, I want EJ out there (and bat him 9th).

rniki10
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
If we honestly had better options I wouldn't mind this, but Johnson is not necessarily that. Oh well, not that it will matter too much. 2B will continue to be a black hole.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 03:45 PM
If we honestly had better options I wouldn't mind this, but Johnson is not necessarily that. Oh well, not that it will matter too much. 2B will continue to be a black hole.

You are completely right, of course. It is a surprise move.

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Wonder if BJ got the same message? When we reach the WS, really have little choice but put Uggla back on the roster. Dont see any of our bench players as having value enough to DH.

jpx7
10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Wonder if BJ got the same message? When we reach the WS, really have little choice but put Uggla back on the roster. Dont see any of our bench players as having value enough to DH.

If the Braves reach the World Series, Gattis (or McCann) should DH and someone who isn't a defensive liability should play LF.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 03:48 PM

I sure hope not. Uggla has one year left. BJ has several. Can't dump all over him when your replacement options are Jordan Schafer or Jose Constanza (both much worse than BJ).

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
If the Braves reach the World Series, Gattis (or McCann) should DH and someone who isn't a defensive liability should play LF.

But that still puts us at a disadvantage. AL teams dont have to deal with a patchwork lineup and worrying who can and who cant catch the ball.

50PoundHead
10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm a bit surprised. We don't have much of a bench and he can draw a walk (although that is pretty much it).

We've been over this a bunch, but I remain firm in that I was fine acquiring Uggla, but I thought it was crazy to re-negotiate with (and extend) him after he was acquired. Just a terrible move.

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
If true this is very interesting from a couple angles. Fredi played Uggla more the last couple weeks than he played BJ. Does this mean BJ also won't make the roster? The other interesting aspect is the question of who makes these roster decisions. Does Fredi have final say?

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 04:02 PM
But that still puts us at a disadvantage. AL teams dont have to deal with a patchwork lineup and worrying who can and who cant catch the ball.

Sure they do (when they are playing in the NL).

50PoundHead
10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
If true this is very interesting from a couple angles. Fredi played Uggla more the last couple weeks than he played BJ. Does this mean BJ also won't make the roster? The other interesting aspect is the question of who makes these roster decisions. Does Fredi have final say?

Upton can pinch-run and play the OF well. Those qualities might get him on the roster.

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Sure they do (when they are playing in the NL).
FWIW The AL has HFA again this year thanks to Bud. Reallity is that we dont even have 8 consistent bats much less 9.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 04:17 PM
For those still thinking Uggla should be on the roster or is in any way better than Elliot Johnson at this point, you're delusional, and this line sums it up:

The veteran second baseman has hit .133 with one home run and a .508 OPS in the 77 plate appearances he has compiled while playing 24 games since undergoing LASIK surgery to repair his vision in August.

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 04:17 PM
It is my opinion that Uggla should be on the roster, more out of a sense of loyalty to the guy since he's been on the roster all year.

Plus, he is probably the second best RH bat off the bench (behind Laird) since he is a power threat and can take a walk. You obviously wouldn't use him in a spot where a productive out is required, but there are times when that HR threat resulting in a walk could be useful. Basically, any situation where the pitcher would pitch around a HR threat would be an ideal spot to PH Uggla because he has shown he will take that walk. Someone like BJ or Janish or Schafer will just be mowed down by the same pitcher because nobody fears their power.

Building the roster with the mindset of having backups is not the way to go for the playoffs, in my opinion. You need guys that can be used as weapons in certain specific situations. HR threats, base stealing threats, guys that can make productive outs, guys in the BP to take advantage of platoon splits, things like that. And then those threats must be used correctly.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 04:19 PM
It is my opinion that Uggla should be on the roster, more out of a sense of loyalty to the guy since he's been on the roster all year.

Plus, he is probably the second best RH bat off the bench (behind Laird) since he is a power threat and can take a walk. You obviously wouldn't use him in a spot where a productive out is required, but there are times when that HR threat resulting in a walk could be useful. Basically, any situation where the pitcher would pitch around a HR threat would be an ideal spot to PH Uggla because he has shown he will take that walk. Someone like BJ or Janish or Schafer will just be mowed down by the same pitcher because nobody fears their power.

Building the roster with the mindset of having backups is not the way to go for the playoffs, in my opinion. You need guys that can be used as weapons in certain specific situations. HR threats, base stealing threats, guys that can make productive outs, guys in the BP to take advantage of platoon splits, things like that. And then those threats must be used correctly.

How the heck can you consider Uggla a HR threat when he has hit ONE!!!!! in his past over 100 ABs. He's done.

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
FWIW The AL has HFA again this year thanks to Bud. Reallity is that we dont even have 8 consistent bats much less 9.

I am aware. They will still play away.

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Uggla's hit lefties worse than righties this year (which is consistent with the pattern for his career), which further reduces the argument of keeping him on the bench as a righty bat.

He has hit Nolasco extremely well and I would have put him in the starting lineup for that game. I'm ok with starting Elliot Johnson for most of the games, but we need to be realistic about him too. I think given the options at second you mix and match the best you can taking into account the opposing pitcher and whether your own starter is a groundball or flyball pitcher.

cajunrevenge
10-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Good to see they have come to realization that Uggla isnt just slumping, he is this bad. Hope they just bench or release him and get a new 2B for next year. No team has made the playoffs with a starting position player hitting .190 or less since 1906 and the Braves did it with 2 of them this year. Can only imagine how good this team would be if we could just plug in .700 OPS players in CF and 2B.

I have always said if your going to have to deal with a crappy hitter atleast go with a good defensive one. They might not hit a lick but preventing a run is just as good as scoring one.

jpx7
10-01-2013, 04:32 PM

The best team in the AL had a pretty patchwork lineup a lot of the year; the victorious team in last night's AL play-in did as well.

I think slotting Gattis at DH/C and McCann at C/DH, with Schafer, Reed Johnson, or BJ playing playing in the outfield, is a better alignment than anything the Braves will field in the NL-only portion of the playoffs.

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 04:33 PM
How the heck can you consider Uggla a HR threat when he has hit ONE!!!!! in his past over 100 ABs. He's done.

Whether or not he is hitting HRs is immaterial. He is seen as a HR threat, so he is pitched accordingly. And when pitchers try to pitch around him, Uggla takes his walk.

I'm not saying it's a potent weapon to have on the bench, but it is a weapon nontheless. Janish is not a weapon in any shape or form.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Uggla's hit lefties worse than righties this year (which is consistent with the pattern for his career), which further reduces the argument of keeping him on the bench as a righty bat.

He has hit Nolasco extremely well and I would have put him in the starting lineup for that game. I'm ok with starting Elliot Johnson for most of the games, but we need to be realistic about him too. I think given the options at second you mix and match the best you can taking into account the opposing pitcher and whether your own starter is a groundball or flyball pitcher.

See that doesn't tell the whole story, but I looked it up just to be sure. Sure, his numbers vs. Nolasco OVERALL on paper look good, but here's the past two years since he's turned into garbage:

Uggla Vs. Nolasco

2012: 0-3 (2 BBs)
2013: 1-4 (single)

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Whether or not he is hitting HRs is immaterial. He is seen as a HR threat, so he is pitched accordingly. And when pitchers try to pitch around him, Uggla takes his walk.

I'm not saying it's a potent weapon to have on the bench, but it is a weapon nontheless. Janish is not a weapon in any shape or form.

Realistically, the only thing we could ever hope for out of Uggla is a walk. Janish, he should never see an AB in the post season. He should strictly be a defensive replacement for CJ at 3rd or sac bunt or run for someone.

holden
10-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Yeah, this is dumb. Personally I think he should still be starting, but to not even have him available to PH is asinine.

CrimsonCowboy
10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I can't help but to think this is a sign the Braves will try and trade Uggla in the offseason

tvsportscaster
10-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I can't help but to think this is a sign the Braves will try and trade Uggla in the offseason

I don't think there's much doubt they'll try, problem is who is willing to take on the 13 million dollar salary

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I don't think there's much doubt they'll try, problem is who is willing to take on the 13 million dollar salary

Be lucky to save two million.

Enscheff
10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Uggla will probably have some value to a non-contender looking to take a flier on catching lightning in a bottle in hopes of having a trade piece at next year's deadline. A non-contending team could pay him $5M and hope he figures it out. If he does they swap him to a contender for a prospect. If he doesn't they lost $5M and are still a non-contender.

Then the Braves sign Cano! Wahoo!!

Too early for 2014 lineup posts?

Heyward RF
JUp LF
Cano 2B
Freeman 1B
Gattis C
CJ 3B
BJ CF
Simmons SS

2014 WS champs!!

emk418
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, this is dumb. Personally I think he should still be starting, but to not even have him available to PH is asinine.

Have you watched baseball the last 3 years? How can you say he should be starting?

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Have you watched baseball the last 3 years? How can you say he should be starting?

Janish (past 3 years/majors) - .214 .259 .262 .521 / .186 .269 .234 .502 / .171 .222 .220 .442

EJ (past 3 years/majors) - .194 .257 .338 .595 / .242 .304 .350 .654 / .209 .255 .283 .538

Uggla (past 3 years/majors) - .233 .311 .453 .764 / .220 .348 .384 .732 / .179 .309 .362 .671

sturg33
10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I sure hope not. Uggla has one year left. BJ has several. Can't dump all over him when your replacement options are Jordan Schafer or Jose Constanza (both much worse than BJ).

Uggla has 2 years left, no?

Dalyn
10-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Uggla has 2 years left, no?

:Sad: He sure does.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Janish (past 3 years/majors) - .214 .259 .262 .521 / .186 .269 .234 .502 / .171 .222 .220 .442

EJ (past 3 years/majors) - .194 .257 .338 .595 / .242 .304 .350 .654 / .209 .255 .283 .538

Uggla (past 3 years/majors) - .233 .311 .453 .764 / .220 .348 .384 .732 / .179 .309 .362 .671

I know he asked for a 3 year sample, but you gotta go with "what have you done for me lately". With Janish and Uggla, it's zero. At least we get a slight something out of Elliot Johnson, even if most of that value comes from fielding and stealing bases.

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Uggla will probably have some value to a non-contender looking to take a flier on catching lightning in a bottle in hopes of having a trade piece at next year's deadline. A non-contending team could pay him $5M and hope he figures it out. If he does they swap him to a contender for a prospect. If he doesn't they lost $5M and are still a non-contender.

Heyward RF
JUp LF
Cano 2B
Freeman 1B
Gattis C
CJ 3B
BJ CF
Simmons SS

2014 WS champs!!
True enough. When you look at Uggla and consider paying him 3 or 4M compare his overall numbers to Adam Dunn and his cost. And strange as it would seem, Uggla is probably an improvement defensively over Dunn.

But going a bit farther, I hope you were joking about Cano. Just cant see that one.

thethe
10-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't see how you can justify Uggla taking up a postseason spot. No pitcher in baseball fears his bat anymore.

stpeteirish
10-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Be lucky to save two million.

correct, and would that be a good move? Because that's what Wren is looking at. He's probably never going to be an everyday player for us again and we're on the hook for the $ but is not having him with the team worth 2-3 million bucks?

I wonder if he's become a "clubhouse problem".

VirginiaBrave
10-01-2013, 06:50 PM
This is a huge mistake if true. Give me 100 Uggla's anyday over babies like Chris Johnson. We will suffer with Elliot at 2nd. Just wait and see.

nsacpi
10-01-2013, 06:52 PM
This is a huge mistake if true. Give me 100 Uggla's anyday over babies like Chris Johnson. We will suffer with Elliot at 2nd. Just wait and see.

Unfortunately, we can't run history twice--once with Uggla at second and once with Elliot Johnson at second--to settle the issue. But I'm comfortable giving EJ the nod. I would prefer, however, to have Uggla on the roster and I would start him against Nolasco.

VirginiaBrave
10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
If we would sign a high profile 2B (we won't) he'd be just like Dan, BJ, and Reggie. He would forget how to hit by the time he got here.

PawPawMaxwell
10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=VirginiaBrave;47881]This is a huge mistake if true. Give me 100 Uggla's anyday over babies like Chris Johnson. We will suffer with Elliot at 2nd. Just wait and see.[/QUOA

Are you serious or just trying to spur more meaningless debate????

VirginiaBrave
10-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Dead serious.

gcbraves
10-01-2013, 07:21 PM
If he had just been the 2011 Uggla this year we wouldn't be having this conversation...

DirkPiggler
10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't see how you can justify Uggla taking up a postseason spot. No pitcher in baseball fears his bat anymore.

We're comparing Uggla to Janish, not to Cano or some other infielder with even a decent bat. Janish may very well be the worst hitter on the roster of a playoff team, including pitchers. When Uggla closes his eyes, swings as hard as he can, and the hand of Jesus miraculously allows the bat to meet the ball there is a chance that the ball will go over the fence. When the same happens for Janish he might get the ball to an infielder.

VirginiaBrave
10-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Look it would be different E. Johnson were a difference maker, but he's not. He's Brooks Conrad with less power. I know Uggla's not much but there is lightning in his bat and we won 70 some games with his under- .200 avg out there. We're not replacing Sid Bream with Freddie McGriff here. All this does is p--- off the baseball gods.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Look it would be different E. Johnson were a difference maker, but he's not. He's Brooks Conrad with less power. I know Uggla's not much but there is lightning in his bat and we won 70 some games with his under- .200 avg out there. We're not replacing Sid Bream with Freddie McGriff here. All this does is p--- off the baseball gods.

Wow, I really don't think you get it at all. Uggla has NOTHING. Look at the stats I've posted in this thread!!! Elliot Johnson bare minimum gives us stolen bases and defense. Plus we've seen him contribute with the bat way more than Uggla has over the past 2 months.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately, we can't run history twice--once with Uggla at second and once with Elliot Johnson at second--to settle the issue. But I'm comfortable giving EJ the nod. I would prefer, however, to have Uggla on the roster and I would start him against Nolasco.

Like I posted earlier, Uggla is 1-7 with a single over the past two years against Nolasco. All of his good work came against him before he turned into trash in the past two years.

VirginiaBrave
10-01-2013, 08:06 PM
I hope you're right, but remember there was a reason Johnson was on the scrapheap to begin with...

DirkPiggler
10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Wow, I really don't think you get it at all. Uggla has NOTHING. Look at the stats I've posted in this thread!!! Elliot Johnson bare minimum gives us stolen bases and defense. Plus we've seen him contribute with the bat way more than Uggla has over the past 2 months.

Johnson is definitely on the roster. It's not between him and Uggla.

Janish: .171 BA .222 OBP .220 SLG .442 OPS

There's no amount of defense that can make up for that. God help us if Janish has to pick up a bat at all.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Johnson is definitely on the roster. It's not between him and Uggla.

Janish: .171 BA .222 OBP .220 SLG .442 OPS

There's no amount of defense that can make up for that. God help us if Janish has to pick up a bat at all.

Janish's value is as a late inning defensive replacement for Chris Johnson or a pinch runner during the game. If he ever sees an at bat during the series we're in trouble. That's already way more value than Uggla can provide.

holden
10-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Like I posted earlier, Uggla is 1-7 with a single over the past two years against Nolasco. All of his good work came against him before he turned into trash in the past two years.

Whoa, Uggla has only gotten one hit off him in his last SEVEN at bats?!? There's just NO WAY he'll ever get a hit off him again! Thanks for that useful information!

The Chosen One
10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Uggla needs to be in over Schafer.

If we're going to have Reed and BJ in, we certainly don't need Schafer.

DirkPiggler
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Uggla needs to be in over Schafer.

If we're going to have Reed and BJ in, we certainly don't need Schafer.

Reed is the one I'd leave off. With his bum wheel he's not going to help much as a defensive replacement. He's not an outstanding hitter. He hasn't played enough lately to be "in the groove". I'd go with Schafer and B.J.

skillet
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
If this is true, I wonder what this will mean for him and the Braves over the next two seasons. If he is left off this post season roster (and I'm not saying he shouldn't), the writing is on the wall that his days as an Atlanta Brave are numbered. The relationship between him and the organization would be forever strained at best if not irreparably damaged. We still owe him $26MM over the next two years and we would have to eat most all of that to trade him, but I think that will have to be our course of action.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Whoa, Uggla has only gotten one hit off him in his last SEVEN at bats?!? There's just NO WAY he'll ever get a hit off him again! Thanks for that useful information!

Is this a joke? The argument was made that Uggla should be in there to start against Nolasco because he has good numbers against him. Well I refuted that, which is also coupled with how horrible he's been this year and especially the past two months, hitting .133 with one home run and a .508 OPS in the 77 plate appearances he has compiled while playing 24 games since undergoing LASIK surgery to repair his vision in August.

Game over

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Reed is the one I'd leave off. With his bum wheel he's not going to help much as a defensive replacement. He's not an outstanding hitter. He hasn't played enough lately to be "in the groove". I'd go with Schafer and B.J.

Unfortunately, almost out of necessity I feel like Reed is our top pinch hitting option. Who else do we really have? Laird?

DirkPiggler
10-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Unfortunately, almost out of necessity I feel like Reed is our top pinch hitting option. Who else do we really have? Laird?

If he was healthy I'd agree, but I don't think he is.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
If he was healthy I'd agree, but I don't think he is.

I think the Braves needed to see that he was by starting him over the weekend and he passed that test. We don't necessarily need him to play the field, just hit and that's it. By all indications, the injury really only hampered him while running, so he should be fine to hit.

bravesnumberone
10-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I could see not starting Uggla, but he needs to be on the roster. Also I'd go Schafer over Reed.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:41 PM
I could see not starting Uggla, but he needs to be on the roster. Also I'd go Schafer over Reed.

Why does he need to be on the roster? I'm still waiting for someone to give a stat based argument or legit use we could have for Uggla based on what we've seen from him.

Heyward
10-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Kinda surprised but the right move.

Heyward
10-01-2013, 08:44 PM

Heyward RF
JUp LF
Cano 2B
Freeman 1B
Gattis C
CJ 3B
BJ CF
Simmons SS

2014 WS champs!!

Lol, Cano is gonna cost near 25-30 million per, yeah right.

bravesnumberone
10-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Why does he need to be on the roster? I'm still waiting for someone to give a stat based argument or legit use we could have for Uggla based on what we've seen from him.

Can you give a stat that Janish needs to be on there over him? EJ can play 2nd, short and third.

Heyward
10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Can you give a stat that Janish needs to be on there over him? EJ can play 2nd, short and third.

Uggla isn't a great defender.

Playoff games are usually low scoring, can't have Uggla botching a throw or striking out,EJ can at least make contact.

And Janish is an extremely good defender.

NYCBrave
10-01-2013, 08:49 PM

EJ is our starting second baseman. Janish is strictly a fefensive replacement for CJ in the late innings, especially since CJ had the jammed shoulder issue crop up recently. That alone is reason enough to have him on the roster. I think we've seen in recent playoffs how important defense is.

Gary82
10-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Uggla can't hit, and he can't field. He doesn't belong on the postseason roster. Runs will be scarce and defense will be incredibly important in this series against the Dodgers.

bravesnumberone
10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Then BJ shouldn't be on there either because he can't hit, and Schafer has the defense and Jose the speed to offset his absence.

Runnin
10-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I think it's the right move. We've got enough guys with random power in the lineup. Solid defense and more balls in play trumps Uggla's occasional HR.

It's really a shame because he does have such potential if he could've just gotten back to his old self. I'd like to have him on the bench though.

Yogi44
10-01-2013, 09:09 PM
From the article: "the 33-year-old batted .099 with a .416 OPS over his final 129 regular-season plate appearances and the Braves have grown comfortable with Elliot Johnson at second base."

I think Fredi gave him every opportunity to prove he needed to be there. He simply failed the same way he has all year.

bravesnumberone
10-01-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm gathering from the articles we're planning on a 12-man pitching staff, pending Walden's health.

Carp
10-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Janish's value is as a late inning defensive replacement for Chris Johnson or a pinch runner during the game. If he ever sees an at bat during the series we're in trouble. That's already way more value than Uggla can provide.

Sorry I don't agree with that. Some players simply have the # on certain pitchers. And 7 at bats in 2 yrs is hardly enough info to say otherwise.m, regardless of his troubles.

tvsportscaster
10-01-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm gathering from the articles we're planning on a 12-man pitching staff, pending Walden's health.

Regardless of Walden's health, they don't need to carry 12 pitchers for the NLDS, you are only going with 4 starters, so you can add the 5th to the pen and go with a 11-men pitching staff and still have 7 relievers. Use the extra spot for a position player and no I'm not necessarily saying that person should be Uggla.

NinersSBChamps
10-01-2013, 11:12 PM
This is the right move. As awful as he's been I cant see a team having any desire to trade for Uggla this off season. Regardless it seems that the Braves will be stuck paying the 26 million or so he is owed over the next two seasons.

yeezus
10-02-2013, 12:50 AM
I can't fathom why anyone would WANT uggla on the playoff roster.
Fundamentals in games like this is extremely important. There will be a lot of intensity and good pitching. We need to go with the better defense and stronger skillset, even if that skillset isn't particularly strong. Uggla is completely terrible in nearly every AB. He can't run. He can't field. I'd rather not pray to god that he will make up for these deficiencies by hitting a few homers. He brings nothing to the table right now. He just not a good baseball player by any means anymore. Leaving him off is kind of ballsy and an extremely smart move in order to win, IMO.

COGPK
10-02-2013, 05:20 AM
My only consideration is what it means in the clubhouse to not have him there. This bunch seems to be a close group. I would imagine, Fredi discussed this with Hudson and McCann to get their take on it. Other than that, it suits me if they release him. His act has worn too thin. I'll give BJ one more year.

Runnin
10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
With 2 low scoring, good pitching teams a couple of extra inning games would not be surprising. We may need every one of those bullpen arms.

jdunn
10-02-2013, 07:06 AM
If nothing else, Kershaw just lost 3 to 4 K's in Game 1.

NYCBrave
10-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Sorry I don't agree with that. Some players simply have the # on certain pitchers. And 7 at bats in 2 yrs is hardly enough info to say otherwise.m, regardless of his troubles.

Well then we'll just agree to disagree. I think you can throw any good numbers he had out the window because it's obviously he's no longer the same player he was 2 years ago, which is why the sample size of in the past 2 years applies.

ProbationDeac
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
I think BJ still makes the roster as someone you can pitch run late in the game if you have someone like Gattis on base. No, I am not saying that's a great reason to have him on the roster, just my prediction. He's also a better fielder then Gattis.

As far as Uggla, I get the move. All Uggla offered at this point was a lot of walks and power "potential."

50PoundHead
10-02-2013, 08:42 AM

+1. Reed Johnson brings zip to the table. My guess is he's the RH pinch-hitter if Uggla is left off the team, but that's all. He's not as good defensively as either Schafer or BJ Upton.

I know I rag on Uggla a ton (and I didn't like the extension of his contract and I'm not going to gloat because I was pretty much right when the entire world on most Braves' boards thought I was nuts) and I'm going to back off a bit. This is sad at a level, but he's a one-dimensional guy and the playoffs are often decided at the margins (where Uggla brings little value). He hits the ball 400 feet or cools off everyone in the box seat with the breeze from his bat.

Tapate50
10-02-2013, 08:52 AM
It really is amazing how far he has fallen.

50PoundHead
10-02-2013, 08:56 AM
It really is amazing how far he has fallen.

Yes it is.

NYCBrave
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
So hypothetically, what is the pecking order of our pinch hitting options in the playoffs?

nsacpi
10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
So hypothetically, what is the pecking order of our pinch hitting options in the playoffs?

That's a good question. One thing to keep in mind is the Dodgers typically use three righties at the end of close games: Jansen in the 9th, Wilson in the 8th and Belisario in the 7th. They will bring in a lefty as the situation demands, but mostly they like to go with those three guys in high leverage situations. Their lefties in the pen are JP Howell and Paco Rodriguez. Chris Capuano might be a third lefty in the pen.

Given that their high leverage guys are righties, I think it would be good to have two lefty pinch hitters on the bench. This is why I've advocated Constanza being on the roster in addition to Schafer. Terdoslavich, a switch hitter, is another option but he hasn't hit well down the stretch.

The righty pinch hitters will be Reed Johnson and Laird. I suppose BJ Upton is a possibility as well, but I see him more as a pinch runner and defensive replacement in the post season.

stpeteirish
10-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Then BJ shouldn't be on there either because he can't hit, and Schafer has the defense and Jose the speed to offset his absence.

None of the three guys you mention have hit. Schafer's been dreadful for a couple months and Jose isn't going to do anything BJ wouldn't besides maybe pounding one into the dirt on purpose and beating it out. At least BJ has a post season history.

Not a big deal, it sure looks like Heyward, Gattis and JUp are getting the starts, any of those three could cover Gattis' glove in late innings. BJ might actually hit a HR as a PH which is more than I can say for the other two.

bravesnumberone
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
None of the three guys you mention have hit. Schafer's been dreadful for a couple months and Jose isn't going to do anything BJ wouldn't besides maybe pounding one into the dirt on purpose and beating it out. At least BJ has a post season history.

Not a big deal, it sure looks like Heyward, Gattis and JUp are getting the starts, any of those three could cover Gattis' glove in late innings. BJ might actually hit a HR as a PH which is more than I can say for the other two.

So can Uggla. If it's just going to be five bench players, then fine. But if EJ gets hurt and Janish has to cover second, that completely defeats the purpose of Janish being used late for CJ.

NYCBrave
10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
So can Uggla. If it's just going to be five bench players, then fine. But if EJ gets hurt and Janish has to cover second, that completely defeats the purpose of Janish being used late for CJ.

If EJ got hurt, we can replace him on the roster with Uggla if needed.

bravesnumberone
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
If EJ got hurt, we can replace him on the roster with Uggla if needed.

During a game?

Bdawg2309
10-02-2013, 12:33 PM
uggla out

walden
hale
constanza in

The Chosen One
10-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Hale is in. Wow that's a big surprise. Fredi must view him as the long man for sure, this means Freddy will pretty much start Game 4 if we make it there.

bravesnumberone
10-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Hale has just as much of an argument to start game 4 as Garcia.

Again, if we go down 2-1, can someone explain to me why Garcia would start that game? Is Medlen terrible on 3-day rest or something? Especially, since knowing our manager, he may pull Medlen in the 6th or so if he gets in trouble?

The Chosen One
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Hale may have an argument, but Fredi comes from Bobby's line of coaching. That means the veteran is in line to start.

bravesnumberone
10-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Nah Bobby would have him starting the first or second game.

Heyward
10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Only surprise to me is Constanza on and Downs left off.

Hale making it over Varvaro is a little surprise but not really.

The Chosen One
10-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Nah Bobby would have him starting the first or second game.

Don't think so.

Bobby loves veterans, but he was also realistic and loyal to guys that were good for him all season.

Garcia only has made a handful of starts, whereas Meds and Minor have been there all year.

JohnAdcox
10-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Only surprise to me is Constanza on and Downs left off.

Hale making it over Varvaro is a little surprise but not really.

Both of those surprised me a little. No complaints, just surprised. If nothing else, I like the "not typical Braves" thinking.

Braves1976
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM

As usual, I am with you. But I guess the Braves have finally given up on Dan Uggla. It will be interesting what happens with him this off-season.

Braves1976
10-02-2013, 01:14 PM

I tend to agree about Reed not playing enough to be ready. But I also agree that Schafer hasn't looked good since his return. He's back to his old bad habits again. Plus we are carrying too many outfielders IMO.

nsacpi
10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Hale is in. Wow that's a big surprise. Fredi must view him as the long man for sure, this means Freddy will pretty much start Game 4 if we make it there.

That's the biggest surprise to me. But it makes a certain amount of sense. Hale pitched very well in his two starts. He has experience as a reliever, which Maholm does not. I think Fredi will have a quick hook if Garcia stumbles out of the gate in his start. Wood or Hale could end up pitching quite a few innings in that game.

The Chosen One
10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Uggla should be thankful we left him off.

The potential for him to strikeout 3 times in a game, plus make a defensive blunder will save him from being the new Brooks Conrad.

At least if Elliot does something crappy, we know its' just EJ being EJ.

emk418
10-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I still much rather would have gone with Wood in game 4.

ViperVisor
10-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Uggla's splits are just horrid.

Terrible vs RHP
Terrible vs LHP
Terrible at home
Terrible at night

mediocre speed
mediocre defense

No role for him to fill

striker42
10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I was surprised Uggla was left off. Not because he deserved to be on the roster but because the Braves tend to be pretty loyal to aging vets.

Uggla's toast. His bat is incredibly slow and he's shown no willingness to change his approach. His one and only goal is to pull the ball out of the park. Maybe that's all he knows. But right now his bat is so slow he can't catch up to anything by the time he recognizes the pitch. He either guesses and misses by a mile or by the time he sees it he's so late on the swing he either can't connect or pops it up.

Maybe if he was willing to go up the middle and the other way more he could extend his career. Right now he's a slow pitch softball player.