PDA

View Full Version : Specific Predictions About 2018

striker42
11-03-2017, 07:28 AM
I want to hear some specific predictions people have about the organization in 2018. Here are a few of mine:

-Touki is permanently moved to the pen, dominates with a high 90's fastball and ridiculous curve, rockets through the organization, and ends up in Atlanta in the second half.

-Acuna finishes as a top 5 contender for ROY but doesn't win the award.

-Our best pitcher is Luiz Gohara.

-Albies makes the All Star team and is our lone representative.

-Minter ends the season as a top 10 closer in baseball.

nsacpi
11-03-2017, 08:26 AM
1) Hart is not extented and replaced by someone outside the organization

2) We lose draft picks and slot money as a result of the scandal

3) We get another strong season from our late blooming catching tandem

4) Improved "quality control" in the manufacturing of baseballs leads to a drop in home runs

5) Vizcaino becomes a top closer

6) Soroka moves into the starting rotation mid-way through the season and shines

7) Swanson continues to scuffle

8) Kemp is not traded and has a healthier season, with offensive numbers between his 2016 and 2017 results, but closer to 2016.

9) Acuna disappoints

10) Camargo displaces Swanson as our regular SS at some point during the season

Chico
11-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Freddie hits 40 Homeruns

Newk puts it all together and teams with Gohara to offer a good lefty combo

Folty is traded or moved to the pen

Jacob Lindgren dominates in the pen

Jurickson Profar becomes a fan favorite for us

Swanson corrects himself and has a solid season with the glove and the bat

Acuna and Albies struggle at some point and people lose their minds

Hudson2
11-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Swanson turns it around

Albies gets even better and is an all star

Gohara stays healthy all year and dominates

Folty just has to many mental issues to take that next step

Acuna comes up 6 weeks into the season and struggles for a few weeks before becoming what we hoped he would

Teheran continues to struggle in Suntrust

Tapate50
11-03-2017, 10:24 AM
If we could get a solid position player combo like Profar + from Texas I’d move Folty pretty quick

They ought to have pitching needs ?

msstate7
11-03-2017, 11:17 AM
thethe predicts 5 milb pitchers to be TOR

Enscheff calls at least 38 of dumb southern rednecks, and gets another time out

salmagundy
11-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Swanson continues to struggle at the plate which effects his fielding. Ends the season somewhere other than Atlanta via deadline deal.

Camargo moves to SS in late June

Snitckers doesn't finish the season as manager.

Hernandez is replaced mid season by Reid Cornelius on temporary assignment

Kemp continues to have leg problems and finishes the season on 60 day DL

Folty is traded during ST

Dickey signs on with Reds

Julio is traded in deadline deal

Jackson gets a short shot in Atlalnta because of injury to Flowers

Riley finishes season at 3B in Atlanta replacing Ruiz

bravesfanMatt
11-03-2017, 12:04 PM
thethe predicts 5 milb pitchers to be TOR

Enscheff calls at least 38 of dumb southern rednecks, and gets another time out

thread wanted predictions..not facts. seriously

Horsehide Harry
11-03-2017, 12:23 PM
1. Braves try to trade for Stanton but Stanton refuses to waive his no trade. Stanton is traded to the Dodgers for Puig plus with the Marlins paying a little salary.

2. Braves sign Arrieta and call him their ACE and spend the offseason marketing the signing as the top FA signing of the offseason by any team (pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain).

3. Kemp gets shopped but isn't moved. Markakis gets moved and Acuna starts day one 2018.

4. Braves break camp with 13 pitchers.

5. Braves trade Allard to KC to sign Dayton Moore. Hart retires as part of a back room plea bargain. Jennings named GM.

6. Braves lose 2017 J2 signings and 1st round pick (#8) of 2018 draft and are fined $5M.

7. Braves rebuild fizzles into a quagmire of mediocrity.

mfree80
11-03-2017, 01:03 PM
1. Braves try to trade for Stanton but Stanton refuses to waive his no trade. Stanton is traded to the Dodgers for Puig plus with the Marlins paying a little salary.

2. Braves sign Arrieta and call him their ACE and spend the offseason marketing the signing as the top FA signing of the offseason by any team (pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain).

3. Kemp gets shopped but isn't moved. Markakis gets moved and Acuna starts day one 2018.

4. Braves break camp with 13 pitchers.

5. Braves trade Allard to KC to sign Dayton Moore. Hart retires as part of a back room plea bargain. Jennings named GM.

6. Braves lose 2017 J2 signings and 1st round pick (#8) of 2018 draft and are fined $5M.

7. Braves rebuild fizzles into a quagmire of mediocrity.

Enscheff and Harry decide the Braves are too stupid to support and announce that they are becoming Phillies fans....:HeywardWut:

Horsehide Harry
11-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Enscheff and Harry decide the Braves are too stupid to support and announce that they are becoming Phillies fans....:HeywardWut:

Back when the Braves started their whole "reload BS" I said that this would become a morass of quicksand fed by bad decisions. Tell me where I'm wrong.

mfree80
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Back when the Braves started their whole "reload BS" I said that this would become a morass of quicksand fed by bad decisions. Tell me where I'm wrong.
You have been very consistent. Just pulling your chain a little. The emoti is supposed to make that clear.

thethe
11-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Newk throws 200IP has a delta of 6 between his k/9 and bb/9

Fried ermergs as a potential TOR canddiate but produces like a MOR for the year

Albies posts a 5-5.7 WAR season

Camargo (assuming starting at third) has a 3 WAR season

Jim Johnson has a bounceback year as a low leverage bullpen arm

Enscheff
11-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Newk throws 200IP has a delta of 6 between his k/9 and bb/9

Fried ermergs as a potential TOR canddiate but produces like a MOR for the year

Albies posts a 5-5.7 WAR season

Camargo (assuming starting at third) has a 3 WAR season

Jim Johnson has a bounceback year as a low leverage bullpen arm

LOL, ok, let's inject some realism into these predictions.

For Newk to have K-BB of 6, he would be around 10 and 4. That's better than 2002 Kerry Wood when he posted 3.6 fWAR, so that's 4 fWAR from Newk.

Fried as a MOR guy means 3 fWAR, plus Albies at 5+ wins, plus Camargo at 3 wins puts the Braves around 91 wins without making a single off season improvement.

Shocking...tehteh thinks the Braves are going to win 95 games in 2018 haha.

striker42
11-03-2017, 04:59 PM
LOL, ok, let's inject some realism into these predictions.

For Newk to have K-BB of 6, he would be around 10 and 4. That's better than 2002 Kerry Wood when he posted 3.6 fWAR, so that's 4 fWAR from Newk.

Fried as a MOR guy means 3 fWAR, plus Albies at 5+ wins, plus Camargo at 3 wins puts the Braves around 91 wins without making a single off season improvement.

Shocking...tehteh thinks the Braves are going to win 95 games in 2018 haha.

A K-BB of 6 for Newk is possible. He did it for over 100 IP in the low minors before jumping to AA and he did it in AAA last year in 57.2 IP. His K-BB last year was 4.59. So he needs to bump that 1.41. I think a 10.5 K/9 and a 4.5 BB/9 is possible. I'm not going to say it's likely but it's not laughable.

I don't see 170 IP with an ERA of a little over 4 as being unobtainable for Fried especially considering how he's pitched in the AFL. Again, not sure if I'd predict it but again, it's not laughable.

Considering how well Albies performed and his very, very reasonable BABIP of .316, a WAR of 5+ is believable. I think it's probably a bit high but as with the others, it's not laughable.

I don't agree with the Carmago love. I see him as a solid bench player and nothing more.

I think thethe's predictions are optimistic but optimism is not a bad trait in a fan.

nsacpi
11-03-2017, 05:19 PM
A K-BB of 6 for Newk is possible. He did it for over 100 IP in the low minors before jumping to AA and he did it in AAA last year in 57.2 IP. His K-BB last year was 4.59. So he needs to bump that 1.41. I think a 10.5 K/9 and a 4.5 BB/9 is possible. I'm not going to say it's likely but it's not laughable.

I don't see 170 IP with an ERA of a little over 4 as being unobtainable for Fried especially considering how he's pitched in the AFL. Again, not sure if I'd predict it but again, it's not laughable.

Considering how well Albies performed and his very, very reasonable BABIP of .316, a WAR of 5+ is believable. I think it's probably a bit high but as with the others, it's not laughable.

I don't agree with the Carmago love. I see him as a solid bench player and nothing more.

I think thethe's predictions are optimistic but optimism is not a bad trait in a fan.

There is a fallacy of composition issue here. With any given player you can make a plausible case they'll be 1-2 wins better than projected. From that it does not follow that it is plausible to make the same claim about pretty much every player on the team.

Not everyone has to play the game the same way. But when predicting surprises from our players I try to have a mix of upside and downside surprises.

Enscheff
11-03-2017, 05:26 PM

Cool. Optimistic fans think the Braves will win 95 games.

thethe
11-04-2017, 06:09 AM
There is a fallacy of composition issue here. With any given player you can make a plausible case they'll be 1-2 wins better than projected. From that it does not follow that it is plausible to make the same claim about pretty much every player on the team.

Not everyone has to play the game the same way. But when predicting surprises from our players I try to have a mix of upside and downside surprises.

Didn't know there were rules to this game.

Like you I believe Swanson is in for a rough season but will hold onto his job for the whole year. Be surprised if he eclipses 1.5 WAR.

Folty will have 20 good starts (4 WAR pace types) but his other 10 will be disasters and will flounder as a BOR guy.

Ruiz struggles in a small part time role and is sent back to AAA

WaitingFor2017
11-04-2017, 06:53 AM
Braves win 85 games despite Snit the Twit.

Snit the Twit gets a 4 year coaching deal.

Thus, Braves are set back even more.

CyYoung31
11-04-2017, 07:24 AM
A tornado blows down Suntrust and the Braves are forced to return to Turner Field.

BeanieAntics
11-04-2017, 09:52 AM

Screw that!

Acuna - 8 WAR
Ozzie - 7 WAR
Swanson - 5 WAR
Freddie - 8 WAR
Ender - 6 WAR
Matt Kemp - 1 WAR
Adonis Garcia - 4 WAR
Johan Camargo - 4 WAR

Julio's ERA will not surpass 2.50 all season
Folty emerges as a stud and they start calling Bob Gibson a "poor man's Folty"
Gohara becomes the next Randy Johnson, except slightly better
Max Fried becomes the next Tom Glavine, except wayyyyy better
Newcomb has a good, but unspectacular season with a 2.65 ERA and only 200 strikeouts

Minter, Ramirez, Viz, and Lindgren form a top 3 bullpen in baseball.

Final record prediction - We break the Mariner's 2001 record of 116 games, winning 118.

jpx7
11-04-2017, 11:25 AM
A tornado blows down Suntrust and the Braves are forced to return to Turner Field.

There's no place like home.

CyYoung31
11-04-2017, 11:42 AM
There's no place like home.

Nice.

50PoundHead
11-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Screw that!

Acuna - 8 WAR
Ozzie - 7 WAR
Swanson - 5 WAR
Freddie - 8 WAR
Ender - 6 WAR
Matt Kemp - 1 WAR
Adonis Garcia - 4 WAR
Johan Camargo - 4 WAR

Julio's ERA will not surpass 2.50 all season
Folty emerges as a stud and they start calling Bob Gibson a "poor man's Folty"
Gohara becomes the next Randy Johnson, except slightly better
Max Fried becomes the next Tom Glavine, except wayyyyy better
Newcomb has a good, but unspectacular season with a 2.65 ERA and only 200 strikeouts

Minter, Ramirez, Viz, and Lindgren form a top 3 bullpen in baseball.

Final record prediction - We break the Mariner's 2001 record of 116 games, winning 118.

That seems a little pessimistic. Talk to your doctor about Prozac.

CrimsonCowboy
11-06-2017, 01:02 AM

And Georgia State tells the Braves “tough luck, chums”.