PDA

View Full Version : Getting An Early Start - GDT 10/4/2013: LA (Zack Stinky) @ ATL (Mike MAJOR!) Game 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mrs. Meta
10-04-2013, 02:21 AM
...so I can't sleep and I can't even really blame the last game. Either way I'm still awake, and as a nod to my favorite GDT poster of all-time (thedeathlesshorsie) I just have a few thoughts.

As ya'll know, I (and anyone who grew up with the mid to late 90's Braves) kinda got used to--and took for granted--the yearly trips to the postseason followed by the usual disappointment. Fast forward to 2013, and getting out of the first round has truly become my own sorta World Series for the Braves this year. I'm sure in a way that kinda thinking is rather silly, if not a psychological coping mechanism, but here we are. I was in fact questioning myself thinking this way until I ran across this post on the Mets' Scout board (morbid curiosity after the game? Hah!):

Man do I love watching Atlanta just crumble EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If it's not at the end of the regular season in historic fashion, it's during their annual "one and done" playoff appearance.

For as "AWESOME" as so many who don't know any better make them out to be, I'm STILL saying they aren't anything special and by the time the Mets are better than they are, the Braves won't have won anything but a few division titles in a horrible division. As far as playoff series wins go, they'll have few if any more than we do.

I dunno, I read that and afterwards kinda felt a sense of relief for myself. Obviously it's rather ironic (and lol) that a Mets fan would talk about crumbling at the end of the regular season, but I realized something; we (as Braves fans) have at least had the opportunity to crumble, choke, etc. Meaningful games in September? You can nearly always count on that. The Mets (and a whole other schmorgasm of the MLB)? Not so much.

So yeah, we're down a game and get to place our fates in the left-hand of one Mike Minor (was kinda hoping Julio would get the call in game 2, but then realized that even at 1-1, Minor would be pitching in a pivotal game anyway). And here's the thing (for me), given our recent playoff history, I don't even know how comfortable I'd feel even with a game 1 victory. So lemme tell you some things I do know (or at least believe, at 2 in the morning).

"Streaks are streaks," Bobby Cox once said (in 2004 or 2005) when we beat the Astros on a game-ending double play off the bat of Jeff Kent; this ended the Astros' streak of home wins, which was well into double digits at the time. The streak we are unfortunately on is a bad one; it's just that we've been losing games in the playoffs, but how we've been losing them that's particularly galling. And this totally calls for a gameplan, amirite?

Smoltzie also once said something that stuck out to me. In gist, he said that he preferred pitching in the playoffs because he was able to use the hitters' aggression against them.

Mikey, I know you're not Smoltzie, but I know ya can give us 6 or 7 out there on the mound with maybe 3 (hopefully) earned runs. If the offense can't support that kinda effort, then ya really will have had nothing to lose in your postseason debut.

One pitch at a time, one at-bat at a time, and one game at a time.

I do think we got this.

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 02:39 AM
I am right there with you.

I'd be thrilled if we got swept in the NLCS if it means we actually got out of the NLDS.

Ok maybe I wouldn't be thrilled, but I can really really see the monkey on the franchise's back with the 1 and done early exit thing. I know these guys with the exception of McCann and Hudson were not there when we kept choking at home, but you can see the weight on some of our guys just out there pressing. The pressure of not only the playoffs, but to bring the Braves back to the NLCS let alone World Series is getting to them.

You can see guys out there being too aggressive because they feel if they don't make something happen that somebody else won't.

McCann had two swings for the fences today, Andrelton worked counts but K'd on full counts, Gattis surprisingly walked twice. Justin worked great counts against Clayton, he just couldn't deliver anything.

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 02:45 AM
While I'd love to compliment this team on how good we are despite being so young, I don't really care about next season or the future. As of this moment, I want to
BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

jcc03004
10-04-2013, 04:56 AM
This is a winnable game but Minor has to throw zeros until we score with this offense against grienke we can not create a hole for us to dig ourselves out of. Offensively, and I'm not sure if we can, stop swinging for the fences go 1st to third on a single steal some bases and hopefully stay out of double digit strikeouts for the game. Grienke is tough but he's not Kershaw and his postseason record is nothing to write home about and god do we have to get to Ryu and nolasco maybe we don't have to face Kershaw again.

Dalyn
10-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Need to try something new.

This.

Means.

WAR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNuNsKwG1RI

Runnin
10-04-2013, 06:03 AM
The 1st inning has been Minor's nemesis lately. If he can get off to a good start I think we will score for him.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

thethe
10-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Liked the way our hitters looked yesterday. Kershaw is just an all time great. If we come to play like we did last night we will win!

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Liked the way our hitters looked yesterday. Kershaw is just an all time great. If we come to play like we did last night we will win!

Agreed about the hitters looking pretty good yesterday. We need Minor to come up big.

Also the pen did well last night. Fredi did a good job spreading the work. No threw over 20 pitches, so they can all come back today.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 07:56 AM
So we have a long time til gametime, because I'm off today and will be bored most of the day as I have to clean (YAY) It's time to post random get you pumped music.

To start the day is the king of all pump up music used as introductions for everything from the lowest sports to the highest, For Whom the Bell Tolls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17HRV8k1YMw

ProbationDeac
10-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Agreed, if can get some quality at bats and draw a few walks like we did last night I think we'll capitalize if Minor keeps us close.

Dunit24
10-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I said when the Dodgers first got hot that they were the best team in baseball. Kershaw was tough, and Greinke will be as well. I'm still confident we can win the series, but we need to win tonight.

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Excellent post, and I'm glad everyone is pumped and not too down after last night. Our hitters didn't look horrible last night, and I think we have a great chance to come back and take it out on Greinke tonight.

Greinke has made 3 career post season starts and has given up 15 runs (12 earned) in 16.1 innings pitched. With his anxiety issues, we need our crowd to be fired up tonight to get in his head.

Teheran_49
10-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I was not a fan of the Dodgers match up. Kershaw is almost a guaranteed win and will shut down any offense no matter who it is but unfortunately this team just isn't built for the play-offs right now. The line up is very feast or famine and is one of low averages and low OBP which doesn't bode well come play-off time when you have to manufacture runs. Also, we have good starters but we don't have that dominant starter that most teams have who win a WS. You know the Cliff Lee,Kershaw, Adam Wainwright(Thanks JS for never focusing on the future in your last few years) variety.

Julio3000
10-04-2013, 09:07 AM
It may be irrationally rosy to say it after a game like that, but I think this team has showed a lot of fortitude this season and I think they will bounce back, win tonight, and take the series. All of the comeback wins, responding to injuries, stepping up to throw dirt on the Nats when they had the chance, responding to challenges from serious (losing a veteran leader) to silly (Carlos Gomez?)—this team has got some mettle and, dare I say it, some g-r-i-t. It's a young team. These guys will have short memories.

Kershaw is as tough as they come, and still, if McCann's ball had snuck over the fence, the outcome of the game might have been different. I hope they stay loose and keep believing.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyGzPmgR1QY

tululush
10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I was at the game last night and it's always hard to tell but how was the home plate ump? The crowd was on him pretty hard and it felt like everytime a Brave checked his swing he said he went and refused to check with 1st/3rd base ump but when the Dodgers checked, he would check. Justin's first ab sticks out to me.

Another thing I found to be very interesting was in the bottom of the first the homeplate ump went to the mound and had a conversation with Kershaw. He was on the hill with him for a good minute or two. Did they show that on tv? Not sure what they were talking about but I thought it was a bit odd.

Julio3000
10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
I thought Kershaw got a couple of calls in the first inning, but I was in a bad place to judge inside/outside.

bravesnumberone
10-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I really don't see how we could get much worse. But Minor has got to give us a chance. He can't just give up home runs.

And we have to score early. Our success on offense depends on Heyward getting on base at the top of the lineup. I understand he was way overmatched against Kershaw, but he HAS to have a big night tonight. And we have got to put a competent defense out there. Don't put Simmons in a shift again, please. Hit cutoff men, know where you're supposed to go with the baseball. We'll have to just live with Gattis in left, but there's no excuse for not being able to catch that ball last night at this level.

I expect us to bounce back because we didn't win 96 games for no reason.

While I would be a little more satisfied getting past this series, I will not be able to stomach losing to the Cardinals again. So let's at least get to the WS while we're at it.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXumtgwtak

graffy
10-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I was at the game last night and it's always hard to tell but how was the home plate ump? The crowd was on him pretty hard and it felt like everytime a Brave checked his swing he said he went and refused to check with 1st/3rd base ump but when the Dodgers checked, he would check. Justin's first ab sticks out to me.

Another thing I found to be very interesting was in the bottom of the first the homeplate ump went to the mound and had a conversation with Kershaw. He was on the hill with him for a good minute or two. Did they show that on tv? Not sure what they were talking about but I thought it was a bit odd.

The commercial breaks are longer in the postseason, so Kershaw was ready to go well before TBS was back on the air. The umpire was out there explaining that to him. Braves radio was back on the air during this and mentioned it. Nothing odd about it, imo.

ProbationDeac
10-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Heard about this on the radio with Don and Jim. They said Kershaw was ready to go but they had to wait for tv and ump was most likely telling him not to get out to the mound too early.

bravesfan247
10-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Schafer is 5-11 vs Greinke. With his improved D over Gattis, do we see him tonight?

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Schafer is 5-11 vs Greinke. With his improved D over Gattis, do we see him tonight?

Fredi said in the post game PC last night that Gattis would be back in there.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 10:58 AM

I pray that we do. I think Gattis over 162 games is a better player than Schafer or Bossman but in games where one run can make all the difference, I think the defensive afvantage that an OF of LF - Justin CF - Bossman/Schafer RF - Jason is the best way to go and I think yesterday proved that. Gattis's bat added no runs but his glove cost us potentially 2 or 3.

Dalyn

:facepalm:

It is really hard to stay positive with that guy at the helm.

nsacpi

Schafer has a .455 OPS in the second half.

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Glad to hear it. Gattis got on base three times last night and hit the ball hard the fourth at bat.

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Schafer has looked as bad as Upton at the plate.

If you think that warrants his defense being in there over Gattis' bat potential then well...

I kind of had a big laugh last night after BJ struck out. Ron Darling said something "That just adds on to BJ's awful 1 for his last 34 skid he was in to end the season". LOL 1 for 34. Even I had to laugh at that. That's just unbelievable.

bravesnumberone
10-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Again, if the reason for Uggla not being on the roster was poor offense, then the same should apply to BJ. Schafer can't hit well, but he brings speed and defense, so that cancels the need for BJ. And again, Reed Johnson was 1-3 career against Kershaw and didn't get an opportunity there. If Schafer is 5-for-11 against Greinke, I think that deserves at least some thought to him being the first pinch-hitter up if nothing else.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Below is NSFW but when is X ever safe for work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nJo2iw3cI

emk418
10-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm not discouraged losing to Kershaw. It's expected. I'm just discouraged because yet again we made way too many errors and mental mistakes. Minors going to throw a gem tonight.

Heyward
10-04-2013, 11:34 AM
They got some good swings off Kershaw early then he found his rhythm and that's all she wrote.

Mac just missed a HR by a few feet.

Minor needs to be great.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

tululush
10-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks!

Heard about this on the radio with Don and Jim. They said Kershaw was ready to go but they had to wait for tv and ump was most likely telling him not to get out to the mound too early.

thethe
10-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Not sure why we would bench Gattis after how he looked at the plate. That might have been the best he has looked all year considering who was pitching.

Yeah, his OF play is not good but I don't think the play he missed was necessarily an "easy" play. Not sure what he was thinking when he was doubled off of first. I guess Puig faked him out well but he needs to be more conservative.

emk418
10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
:facepalm:

It is really hard to stay positive with that guy at the helm.

Gattis needs to be in the lineup. He's a huge threat for us. Just because of one baserunning mistake and a tough play he didn't make in the OF....I'm not benching him. Nobody played well yesterday.

Dalyn
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Gattis needs to be in the lineup. He's a huge threat for us. Just because of one baserunning mistake and a tough play he didn't make in the OF....I'm not benching him. Nobody played well yesterday.

Gattis is MUCH more of a weapon off the bench, especially if he is going to be batting 4th and playing left. He has proved that numerous times.

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Gattis is MUCH more of a weapon off the bench, especially if he is going to be batting 4th and playing left. He has proved that numerous times.

There is a reasonable case for Schafer, given his record against Greinke and the fact Minor is a fly ball pitcher. But Schafer hit so poorly in the second half, I'd rather take my chances on Gattis. As for lineup construction, I don't think it makes much difference if Gattis and Chris Johnson are flip flopped. I do approve of Fredi going lefty-righty with the first six guys in the lineup.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Yc3HhSl1Q

ESP47
10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Zeets we need this after that last travesty you just posted..

http://youtu.be/yeVJguP_T40

Enscheff
10-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Glad to hear it. Gattis got on base three times last night and hit the ball hard the fourth at bat.

Agreed. Gattis has to be in there tonight.

The Braves were embarrassed last night, but the proper response is not a panic move like putting Schafer in there over Gattis. This team just spent the last month figuring out who the starting 9 should be, and I think they have the right 9 no matter what happened in one game.

Enscheff
10-04-2013, 12:45 PM
The one positive to take from the game was the BP went 5 innings and only gave up 1 run on 2 hits, proving they can matchup well with the Dodgers lineup if used correctly.

I hope Fredi paid attention and will PH for Minor early tonight if a crucial situation presents itself and Minor is not pitching lights out. He already pissed away one scoring chance by letting Medlen hit in the 3rd last night. That mistake can't happen again.

gilesfan
10-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I would play Schafer. Gattis defense hurt us last night and was an embarrassment on the bases. Righty on the hill will be tough to hit. Thats not a panic move, just trying to put team with best chance to win on the field.

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I would play Schafer. Gattis defense hurt us last night and was an embarrassment on the bases. Righty on the hill will be tough to hit. Thats not a panic move, just trying to put team with best chance to win on the field.

Using a player who has a .450 OPS in the 2nd half of the year gives us the best chance to win? Gattis reached base 3 times last night, more than any other player on the team.

gilesfan
10-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Using a player who has a .450 OPS in the 2nd half of the year gives us the best chance to win? Gattis reached base 3 times last night, more than any other player on the team.

Against a lefty.

And cost runs in the field and got out on the bases.

thethe
10-04-2013, 01:46 PM
We need to score runs and Gattis looked as good last night as he has all year. His "poor" play last night only cost the team 1 run in a game we lost by many more.

cajunrevenge
10-04-2013, 01:46 PM
This game pains me because I have been a huge Greinke fan for a long time. I have been a big fan since before he was drafted. He didnt even take up pitching until 6 months before the draft. The Royals scouting director was ordered to take the most polished college pitcher in the draft. The scouting director came back and told the GM Greinke was the most polished pitcher in the draft despite being a HS pitcher who just started pitching. Really wish he found his way to the Braves. If they had been able to trade for him I think he would have re-signed long term. He was a Braves fan. When he took a break from the majors he even attended Braves spring training games. He was the mystery pitcher Shanks always teased us with. Now here he is pitching against the Braves in what very well may be an elimination game for us. Sucks.

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Yeah. I think if Schafer had hit a bit better down the stretch he would be in there. He has a good record against Greinke and Minor is a fly ball pitcher. But Schafer has just not done anything to inspire any confidence lately.

gilesfan
10-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Likewise, if Gattis had done anything since May,maybe you overlook the defense, poor baserunning, and a righty being on the mound.

OBP by month:

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 01:58 PM
This game pains me because I have been a huge Greinke fan for a long time. I have been a big fan since before he was drafted. He didnt even take up pitching until 6 months before the draft. The Royals scouting director was ordered to take the most polished college pitcher in the draft. The scouting director came back and told the GM Greinke was the most polished pitcher in the draft despite being a HS pitcher who just started pitching. Really wish he found his way to the Braves. If they had been able to trade for him I think he would have re-signed long term. He was a Braves fan. When he took a break from the majors he even attended Braves spring training games. He was the mystery pitcher Shanks always teased us with. Now here he is pitching against the Braves in what very well may be an elimination game for us. Sucks.

You shouldn't root for Greinke, the guy is an extreme prick. I've always felt that way, especially since he carried himself so smuggly, but this quote last winter solidified it (you can think these things, but don't say them out loud):

“It's obviously the No. 1 thing,'' Greinke said. “I could play for the worst team if they paid the most … If the last place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I'm going to go for the $200-million no matter what team it was.''

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Likewise, if Gattis had done anything since May,maybe you overlook the defense, poor baserunning, and a righty being on the mound.

OBP by month:

So we're using one arbitrary stat category to judge if a player has contributed more than another?

gilesfan
10-04-2013, 02:07 PM
OBP is the most important offensive stat, it's not an arbitrary stat.

Greinke said what the majority of people in thsi world would do. Go where you get paid the most.

jsebe10
10-04-2013, 02:08 PM
No change. Let's enjoy!'

At 6:07 p.m. ET, the Los Angeles Dodgers are set to take on the Atlanta Braves in Game 2 of the NLDS at Turner Field.

First, the visiting Dodgers:

Carl Crawford, LF
Mark Ellis, 2B
Hanley Ramirez, SS
Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
Yasiel Puig, RF
Juan Uribe, 3B
Skip Schumaker, CF
A.J. Ellis, C
Zack Greinke, RHP
And now, the home Braves:

Jason Heyward, CF
Justin Upton, RF
Freddie Freeman, 1B
Evan Gattis, LF
Brian McCann, C
Chris Johnson, 3B
Andrelton Simmons, SS
Elliot Johnson, 2B
Mike Minor, LHP

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24003508/nlds-dodgerscardinals-game-2-starting-lineups.

bravesnumberone
10-04-2013, 02:13 PM
:tchop:

Will be working tonight. So won't be able to watch. Pull them through. Minor needs to man up tonight.

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Greinke said what the majority of people in thsi world would do. Go where you get paid the most.

And that's how you become generally disliked by the fans. Good thing we had Chipper who showed what loyalty was and took the discount to stay. Imagine if McCann on his way out said "I'm not staying with the Braves, they're being cheap." He might leave for that reason, but he'd never be well received in Atlanta again if he said it.

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 02:15 PM

OBP by month:

Gattis OPS by month:

Schafer OPS by month
1.000 (2 plate appearances)

If you think OBP is better then Schafer in the last two months: .222 and .278. I don't think you can entirely discount the value of extra base hits. Apply whatever discount factor you wish, but it should not be close to 100%.

Draw your conclusions.

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 02:16 PM

In your opinion, OBP is the most important offensive stat.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

gilesfan
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Gattis OPS by month:

Schafer OPS by month
1.000 (2 plate appearances)

If you think OBP is better then Schafer in the last two months: .222 and .278. I don't think you can entirely discount the value of extra base hits. Apply whatever discount factor you wish, but it should not be close to 100%.

Draw your conclusions.

And take a right hander on the mound, defense, and base running into consideration.

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 02:35 PM
And take a right hander on the mound, defense, and base running into consideration.

But Schafer put up those August and September numbers while primarily facing righties. Imagine if he was facing lefties also? He only has 31 AB vs lefties on the year.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
But Schafer put up those August and September numbers while primarily facing righties. Imagine if he was facing lefties also? He only has 31 AB vs lefties on the year.

Schafer sucked down the stretch, hardly news. So did Gattis though.

In one case Fredi chose defense when he had to choose between 2 impotent bats (uggla and Johnson) on the other he chose the bat, it's a baffling inconsistency, especially when Uggla has much more history than Gattis.

Tapate50
10-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I... I just... :facepalm:

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Gattis has hit much better than Schafer in the past month.

Heyward
10-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Against a lefty.

And cost runs in the field and got out on the bases.

Schafer has sucked butt in the second half, huge regression.

While Gattis cost us a run in the field, I blame that on Mac and Meds, should of walked Ellis with the pitcher on deck.

The base running mistake was pretty bad though.

Not sure it mattered, Kershaw was just too nasty.

Heyward
10-04-2013, 03:02 PM
If we're going defense and base running, go with the Uptons and Heyward.

Since its likely we won't do much vs Greinke in all likelyhood.

gilesfan
10-04-2013, 03:05 PM
You are still putting a guy out there that is a huge liability in the field. He's also not going to give you a thing on the bases. Yes, he always has the potential to hit a homer, but what are the odds against a guy like Greinke?

So, you put a guy with low chance of getting on base (<.300), wont give you anything in the field or the bases or a lefty bat that can at least field and if he happens to get on can do a lot of damage on the bases. With a righty on the hill, Schafer gives us the best chance at winning, imo.

If Gattis hits a homer, then it was a smart move to play him. But, this is tough, grind it out playoff baseball vs. an ace caliber pitcher. THis could easily be a 3-2 game and 1 defensive misplay could be the difference. 1 stolen base could be the difference.

bravesnumberone
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
As much as it sucks to take out Gattis' bat, Schafer is still 5-11 against Greinke, a RHP, and should at least be brought into pinch-hit first if nothing else.

emk418
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
In my opinion, offense is our problem. Because of that....I'm starting Gattis.

Dunit24
10-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Gattis > Schafer

Not even a question

Heyward
10-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Gattis > Schafer

Not even a question

Agreed but this is likely going to be a low scoring game, or if we are going to win, it should.

Runs are at a premium this series, can't give runs away with bad defense, base running, etc.

I would start BJ if we are going with that.

Dalyn
10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Nothing wrong with having Gattis in the lineup if you have him batting where he should. He is one of those guys (power and nothing else positive) you have to hit #6-8 and count on people being on base when he hits his homer. Jason, Upton, and Freeman get on base too often to have Gattis making an out over 70% of the time.

emk418
10-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Anyone know if it's a sellout tonight?

Diesel
10-04-2013, 04:18 PM
LOL....some of you keep saying runs will be at a premium and then you want to take a hitter (Gattis) out of the lineup who is counted on to supply those runs (for an offense that is struggling). On very few occasions will having a plodding leftfielder cost you anything defensively. I can vaguely think of 1 or 2 times during the season where he hurt us defensively. But I can think of many times where he was the difference offensively. He makes the plays he's supposed to make 99% of the time.

seanyates
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Anyone know what the TV situation is going to be? The Rays/Red Sox game is only in the 5th inning.

emk418
10-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Anyone know what the TV situation is going to be? The Rays/Red Sox game is only in the 5th inning.

Was just going to ask this. Noway the Sox/Rays are done by 6pm. Would it be on TNT?

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvTm_BhZdOE

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioE_O7Lm0I4

Heyward
10-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Was just going to ask this. Noway the Sox/Rays are done by 6pm. Would it be on TNT?

I would guess so, this game is gonna last another hour at least.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3oBZ4_TNys

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Ok I have 5 more I'm gonna try to space a bit apart. But hopefully everyoneis pumped up enough anyway. I'm gonna end it with a big 3 video bonanza post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7IVAH1JauE

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

cajunrevenge
10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
You shouldn't root for Greinke, the guy is an extreme prick. I've always felt that way, especially since he carried himself so smuggly, but this quote last winter solidified it (you can think these things, but don't say them out loud):

“It's obviously the No. 1 thing,'' Greinke said. “I could play for the worst team if they paid the most … If the last place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I'm going to go for the $200-million no matter what team it was.''

Really I just respect him for telling the truth. Few things piss me off more than a player saying "I really want to stay with this team but thats up to the team whether they want me" which really means "I hope this team pays me the most so I can stay". If your going for the money then say it. Dont hide behind your agent or blame the team. His love for the game was really crushed when he was with the Royals. No matter how good he was the team sucked. Eventually he stopped caring about the results and just went out and tried to have fun while pitching. Whether he pitches 7 shutout innings or 5 innings giving up 5 runs the Royals were still a last place team. Then the fans got on him and he just didnt want to pitch anymore. Then he left the team and did some soul searching. Eventually he decided to come back but it was more business than love of the game. If the Royals were a winning team his first few years in the majors there is no doubt in my mind he would have re-signed with them. He actually signed one extension with them because they had a strong farm system and he believed in the rebuilding. After so many failed rebuilding attempts he let them know he no longer saw the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel and let them know he would not re-sign with them. Thats why he was traded. Greinke is a competitor. Reminds me a lot of Smoltz who had his own mind problems to come back from. Players at some point in their careers stop being fans and it starts becoming about money. Take McCann for example, his mom didnt let him have any contact with the Braves after being drafted because she knew he would sign for anything that was offered because he wanted to be a Brave. Now 15 years later he likely wont play for the Braves for 10 million a year. Thats not meant to insult Brian all I ever ask of a player is one long term extension which Brian did sign. Beyond that I fault them less for taking the money.

zitothebrave
10-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Ok time to get choppin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQ6_PrRzIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MLp7YNTznE

Lastly the greatest thing to come out of Jersey, after Jason Heyward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk

bravesnumberone
10-04-2013, 04:58 PM
How dare someone take the best deal they can get on a market...

Heyward
10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
It's on TNT for now.

BlackwaterPark
10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Dont suck today guys

Garmel
10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Dont suck today guys

This is the Post of the Day.

Mrs. Meta
10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Deep breaths, deep counts, and oh those deep balls!

One game.

emk418
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Very very important to get on the board first.

cajunrevenge
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I feel so negative going into this game. Atleast now I know how Niners and Heyward feel going into every game.

JusticeForAll23
10-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Start drinking now? Or hold off and wait to see how it goes?

Heyward
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I feel so negative going into this game. Atleast now I know how Niners and Heyward feel going into every game.

Just a terrible matchup for us.

Hope they prove me wrong.

BlackwaterPark
10-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Atta boy Mike...

Mrs. Meta
10-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Just a terrible matchup for us.

Hope they prove me wrong.

SAY IT AGAIN, BROTHER!

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 05:15 PM
15 pitches for Minor so far... please be good Mike.

BlackwaterPark
10-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Throw ****ing strikes

thethe
10-04-2013, 05:16 PM
So hard to be a Braves fan.

Five
Great start......lol

Heyward
Minor and his first inning struggles again, wonderful.

JusticeForAll23
10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Aaaaand...here we go again.

BlackwaterPark
Mother ****ers

zitothebrave
All that Elliot Johnson defense.

bravesnumberone
:snort:

Braves1976
Dang it Mike, bad walk and he should've went off-speed there. Already down a run because of stupidity.

Hanley was having trouble picking up the off-speed and he gave him the heater. That's so stupid.

pfiggy
Cheeses riced.......

bravesnumberone
10-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Can Minor get through one goddamn first inning without pitching like Kameron Loe??

Heyward
All that Elliot Johnson defense.

More on Mike, terrible pitch.

atl717
Really just pathetic

NYCBrave
It's just especially intolerable because Minor was ahead on each of the first 3 hitters and couldn't put the 2nd two away. Inexcusable.

jsebe10
How do you fckn short hop the cut off man from the wall to the beginning of the OF grass!?

Mrs. Meta
Enough with the mental midgetry.

pfiggy
Start drinking now? Or hold off and wait to see how it goes?

started at 4 pm myself, it's not helping....

BlackwaterPark
10-04-2013, 05:19 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3406552064/h0E7656A4/

holden
Terrible walk hurt us.

Yogi44
That was a terrible relay throw from Upton. Short hopped Johnson.

BlackwaterPark
10-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Roger neeeds to go also He teaches his pitchers to ****ing nibble instead of being aggressive

Heyward
Just 1, keep it at that.

The Chosen One
Ok Minor. First inning is over, time to dominate the rest of the game.

TURBO
We win this game.

Braves1976
That was a gift run by us. Hope Minor settles in and the offense is strong tonight.

nsacpi
10-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Minor looks ok out there. Good fastball tonight, but having some trouble with his other pitches.

Five
Its a shame that the only pitcher that you can consider an ace isn't pitching till game 3.

zitothebrave
Ok let's put a few runs on the board.

Heyward
Roger neeeds to go also He teaches his pitchers to ****ing nibble instead of being aggressive

Sarcasm?

Roger is awesome, he can't control how the pitchers do.

He's done a good job developing pitchers.

Lville21
Mike struggled in the 1st in LA giving up 2 runs and getting out of a bases loaded jam before the Braves ended up winning 8-2.

Julio3000
10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok Minor. First inning is over, time to dominate the rest of the game.

Well, that has been the pattern. Fingers crossed. Let's go get some back.

I meant to post this as a way of generating some positive energy, but I put it in the wrong thread. That's about par for the course. Anyway:

In the interest of staying positive, here are some things that I appreciate about our guys. I'll start with the regulars.

Jason Heyward handled crappy luck and bad breaks with aplomb. He's a complete player, and the team's record with him in the lineup reflects it. He's a leader, and he plays the game with intensity and heart.
Justin Upton carried us for stretches. 27 bombs and a career high in walks. I'm glad he's here.
Freddie Freeman took a big step forward. He was clutch and consistent; the heart of our offense all year. He's the one who knocks (in runs).
Brian McCann stepped up and showed us that "veteran leadership" wasn't an issue in the post-Chipper era.
Evan Gattis. He helped carry the team when Mac was out. He played out of position. He hit some huge home runs, in the sense of of dramatic timing AND prodigious distance.
Chris Johnson kept doing his thing. I wasn't a believer, and I am glad to have been wrong. Lord BABIP, long may he rainbow.
Andrelton Simmons was both steady and spectacular. It's worth the price of admission just to watch him work.
Elliot Johnson. Can . . . uh, steal bases.

Five
10-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Awful AB

Heyward
Smh, swung at Ball 3, awful.

emk418
Way to swing at ball 3 heyward. Great lead off hitter.

Braves1976
Now Heyward with a bad AB, has a 2-0 count and chases a bad one to ground out.

JusticeForAll23
Good decision there, Jason, to go down after a 2-0 pitch. Brilliant piece of hitting.

Mrs. Meta
Jhey, be where were you goin there with that swing?

atl717
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
2-0 count and Heyward swings at at a terrible pitch. Our guys don't know how to play in these kinds of games.

Five
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Way to swing at ball 3 heyward. Great lead off hitter.

One of two things this team lacks, the other a real ace.

jsebe10
10-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Uptown has fouled more damn balls off then I've ever seen.

Mrs. Meta
10-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Smh.

Heyward
Questionable call, umps working for LA.

The Chosen One
Haha Ron Darling... "every close call has gone the Dodgers way. Every check swing has gone against the Braves".

Braves1976
Come on! This is bullcrap, Minor missed there and it was a ball. Now it's a strike.

Garmel
Bull**** strike.

zitothebrave
Where was that call for Minor?

Seriously **** the umps.

NYCBrave
Ron Darling: "Every close pitch has gone the Dodgers way. Every check swing has gone the Dodgers way".

Enscheff
JUp sure has fouled off a lot of hittable pitches in both games so far

JusticeForAll23
We're not doing ourselves any favors by sucking, but this is some BS. The Dodgers are getting every damn nibble on the corner while our pitchers are getting squeezed.

Five
Productive inning

Garmel
10-04-2013, 05:28 PM
That half inning gives me hope. lol

Braves1976
Way to go boys, we're going to get swept if we don't wake up soon.

emk418
We're not doing ourselves any favors by sucking, but this is some BS. The Dodgers are getting every damn nibble on the corner while our pitchers are getting squeezed.

Nothing wrong with the call. We just suck.

NYCBrave
That exact pitch that Justin got called out on, was called a ball on what would have been strike 3 against Ellis

zitothebrave
Can't believe we have to beat the Dodgers and the umps.

thethe

He has been the dud so far this series.

Heyward
Minor missed there on the walk to Ellis.

About the same pitch too.

Was 2-2.

Dalyn
10-04-2013, 05:29 PM
This isn't even fun right now.

Julio3000
10-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Looked like he got two in that AB. Kershaw gave him a couple in the 1st yesterday.

jsebe10
Holy fuke the commercials!!!!!!

emk418
He has been the dud so far this series.

He's been a dud for about 75% of the year.

Dalyn
10-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Your Heyward is fine, but your math needs work.

Julio3000
This isn't even fun right now.

Just a couple of hits, a couple of runs. These guys are playing tight.

The Chosen One
2-0 count and Heyward swings at at a terrible pitch. Our guys don't know how to play in these kinds of games.

Darling said Walker told all the guys to be aggressive, not swing at anything high. Heyward swung at a low pitch in a favorable hitter's count, just didn't do much with it.

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 05:32 PM
That's just wow.

jsebe10
I really hate that fat piece of fck. I really do.

thethe

Im with you emk.

BlackwaterPark
Again, cant put batters away....

Heyward
Lol, of course.

Mrs. Meta
Just more smh

Julio3000
10-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Look at Juan ****ing Uribe get a horse**** hit.

gtcway
Can't win a game against a good pitcher when the umps are calling for the other team. No way we can win.

thethe
Needed that

NYCBrave
Im with you emk.

It's a fact, there's no stats to dispute it

Heyward

He leads the team in runs, couldn't be more wrong.

Mrs. Meta
Just a couple of hits, a couple of runs. These guys are playing tight.

They need orgasms!

zitothebrave
Awesome Pick Freddie!!!

Julio3000
10-04-2013, 05:34 PM
There it is.

JusticeForAll23
Not gonna lie, a part of me thought we'd screw up that routine DP.

Julio3000
They need orgasms!

The Dodgers have the advantage of having been stroked off by the media for 72 hours.

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Very annoyed with the umpires now.

Braves1976
That was a swing, come on!

Heyward
Lol, same exact pitch Greinke got.

These umps.

Julio3000
WTF with the checked swings?

NYCBrave
I can't believe they continue to blow calls against us.

Heyward
That was a swing, come on!

He checked.

thethe
PUT HIM AWAY!

zitothebrave
Not gonna lie, a part of me thought we'd screw up that routine DP.

Freddie Made sure that wouldn't happen.

Heyward
Of course he singles.

Figures.

Krovahn
Last night, we had check swings that didn't go as far, called swings. This one, for the Dodgers, goes farther, but isn't a swing... SMH.

...oh look, now a single. Complete BS.

Five
Good job mike, way to finish off amother hitter, dan uggla tyoe hitter too

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Johnson got a terrible break off that ball. The ball was half way to him before he even got out of his crouch.

NYCBrave
He checked.

He clearly broke the plane on the replay

The Chosen One
He checked.

So did Freeman and Justin last night.

Mrs. Meta
This series gonna make me paranoid.

Braves1976
This is bullcrap, he was struck out. Now the pitcher won't lead off next inning for sure. We are having a tough enough time and we're having to beat the Dodgers and the umps.

Ron Darling is awful, I hate listening to his nonsense.

Heyward
10-04-2013, 05:37 PM
He clearly broke the plane on the replay

It was 50-50, more pissed at the ball, same spot Greinke got on JUp.

zitothebrave
Johnson got a terrible break off that ball. The ball was half way to him before he even got out of his crouch.

Normal play for Johnson.

Tapate50
Boy, I hate to get this feeling early, but we look AWFUL.

thethe
10-04-2013, 05:38 PM
****ING MINOR! Its the GOD DAMN PITCHER!

jsebe10
Nibble nibble. Nibble

nsacpi
Minor bouncing every curve. Try the slider. He's got one.

The Chosen One
Alright guys, let's get rid of the swing for the fences approach.

I wonder what Minor's pitch limit will be today.

Heyward
10-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Boy, I hate to get this feeling early, but we look AWFUL.

Just gotta put 0's up and hope we can scratch a run across vs Greinke.

Bdawg2309
0-2 to 3-2 and then a single..

Garmel
Time to get to work, guys.

zitothebrave
Let's pick up the pitcher and score a few runs.

Braves1976
Fredi should've came out and argued that no swing call. Maybe wake our boys up.

It was a terrible call, he swung. They cannot have it both ways, Freeman swung last night but that's not a swing? Total bullcrap.

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 05:40 PM
If an unbiased announcer of the series even notices the Dodgers getting all of the calls, then you know there's an issue.

Braves1976
10-04-2013, 05:40 PM
0-2 to 3-2 and then a single..

He had already struck him out, that's on the umps.

The Chosen One
10-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Selig really pushing for a potential Dodgers-Red Sox World Series.

DjGrizz
I hate hunter wendlestedt or however the f you spell his terrible last name. I hope his wife takes a dump in his mouth tonight

cajunrevenge
Launch one for me Gattis!

NYCBrave
10-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Selig really pushing for a potential Dodgers-Red Sox World Series.

100% true. Braves being there does nothing for MLB.

Heyward
Gattis

thethe
Lets get some baserunners on for EVAN!

The Chosen One
Good redemption Evan.

You're a rookie but you certainly don't look scared up there.

Braves1976
OK another good AB by Gattis, now come on boys let's get some runs!

Julio3000
This series gonna make me paranoid.

I saw Don Mattingly at a meeting of the Bilderberg Group. Call sturg.

DjGrizz
Evan Gattis the bearded badass....

Runnin
Wow, Gattis all over the looping curve.

thethe
10-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Gattis clearly took something off of his swing there. he should do that more situationally.

Mrs. Meta
That's how we do it.

Dalyn
It's a fact, there's no stats to dispute it

How about this one - (In wins) .324 .416 .597 1.013 - That means he kicked freaking ass when the Braves won (or the Braves won when he kicked ass, however you want to look at it). The Braves won 59% of their games. That means the best you can argue is that Upton sucked 41% of the time.

Enscheff
Gattis stayed back perfectly. If he has learned to hit that pitch he will be a beast next year

Heyward
Greinke getting all the outside calls.

nsacpi
shouldn't swing so hard

cajunrevenge
With the way Gattis is hitting this series maybe we should look into signing more janitors.

JusticeForAll23
If I were Greinke, I'd just throw every pitch on the outter edge and let the ump give me calls all night.

NYCBrave
Look where that first pitch to McCann was on the tracker that was called a strike. I mean c'mon

Five
Well at least he got him to second

thethe
10-04-2013, 05:44 PM
shouldn't swing so hard

He didn't.

zitothebrave
Ok BABIP just find a gap here.

Braves1976
Well, at least not a DP I guess. Come on CJ!

jsebe10
Why not bunt here? They gave him the line and he certainly is hitting like ****.

DjGrizz
If I were Greinke, I'd just throw every pitch on the outter edge and let the ump give me calls all night.

Worked for Glavine...

Five
With the way Gattis is hitting this series maybe we should look into signing more janitors.

I laughed. Janitors have no fears.

thethe
Gattis stayed back perfectly. If he has learned to hit that pitch he will be a beast next year

This is why I don't get why people are jumping all over him. Gattis is still so young in his development. We have no clue what he will be.

Heyward
10-04-2013, 05:45 PM
This is ridiculous.

Greinke gets every call.

DjGrizz
I laughed. Janitors have no fears.

They stare crap in the face and crap blinks

JusticeForAll23
Surprised the ump didn't call that a strike.

The Chosen One

Doesn't hurt to have multiple clean up hitters.

JusticeForAll23
10-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Should be 3-1 right now, but hey, if it's just close to the black it's an automatic strike for Dodgers pitchers.

Mrs. Meta
10-04-2013, 05:46 PM
This is ridiculous.

Greinke gets every call.

WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE, BROTHER!

Five
10-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Whiffffff

The Chosen One
Come on Andrelton...

emk418
Love this team

Runnin
Dang CJ. Greinke looks nervous. I think we could really rattle him with a few hits.

The Chosen One
This is ridiculous.

Greinke gets every call.

Now I know what you meant when you said it was a terrible match up for us.

Mrs. Meta
10-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Chris... Your pitches were earlier in the count, bro.

emk418
10-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Amazing how nobody can get a hit with RISP

thethe
10-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Amazing how nobody can get a hit with RISP

THERE IT IS!

Krovahn
TRON!

nsacpi