PDA

View Full Version : Chip Kelly to the Gators

BlackwaterPark
11-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Super excited for this hire. His offense with Florida talent will be fun one would think.

Go Gators!

Krgrecw
11-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Good pick up by the gators

Carp
11-14-2017, 10:47 PM
Fake news. No reputable news sources have reported such info. And Florida AD seems to be squashing it pretty heavily. It may yet happen at some point, but for now it's fake news.

goldfly
11-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Fake news. No reputable news sources have reported such info. And Florida AD seems to be squashing it pretty heavily. It may yet happen at some point, but for now it's fake news.

well, if it's fake news in the way our president has brought that stupid saying to the main stream

it is for sure happening then

striker42
11-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Chip Kelley in the SEC could be interesting. Its been a while since the NCAA handed down the death penalty.

BlackwaterPark
11-15-2017, 01:50 PM

You really dont think deals can get made, and people know about it, without mainstream media knowing?

Carp
11-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Sure. But not one reputable source has mentioned this. Even the UF AD is shooting it down. Not to mention, there is zero chance he signed for an AAV of 4.5 million. He has his choice of jobs and easily could get 6-7 million (or more) in this market.

There are tons of rumors about Gruden to Tennessee right now and some fairly credible sources confirming it's been agreed upon (guys who were the first to report various injuries/suspensions before they were publicly announced). But you won't see me doing cartwheels until the ink is dry and someone other than a random twitter account or message board "insider" is reporting that it's done.

striker42
11-15-2017, 04:11 PM
I honestly have no idea why Gruden would want to go to Tennessee and that's not a knock against Tennessee.

First, why would he want to leave his broadcasting job. Dude makes more money than any coach and works 17 days a year.

Second, if he was interested in coaching again, there would be half a dozen NFL teams interested.

Gruden has also made it known in the past that he hates recruiting.

There's no guarantee of success for Gruden at the college level. If he's not a good recruiter then his NFL resume wont save him.

Carp
11-15-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm skeptical to say the least. Still, Gruden does have ties to UT and he owns 21.5 acres near Knoxville. The smoking gun would appear to be the layoffs at ESPN, the pourus MNF numbers, and his contract not being guaranteed.

Several former players and at least one journalist are confirming it's legit, so who knows. Again, I remain skeptical.

Carp
11-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Spurrier also squashed this rumor tonight as well. Says he believes there's almost a 100 percent chance the next Florida coach is currently coaching right now.

CrimsonCowboy
11-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Kelly may not be the coach now, but I won’t be surprised to see it happen eventually. Florida fans will want a big splash as a coaching hire and Chip Kelly would fit that bill.

Krgrecw
11-16-2017, 01:52 AM
Does Florida have the balls to go for Kiffin? He’s right there.

Carp
11-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Definitely could happen, though I don't expect it. I would venture Scott Frost, Charlie Strong, or Willie Taggart. May be a possibility of Dan Mullen, but his wife just recently stated she didn't want to live in Gainesville didn't she?

striker42
11-16-2017, 09:12 AM
I'm skeptical to say the least. Still, Gruden does have ties to UT and he owns 21.5 acres near Knoxville. The smoking gun would appear to be the layoffs at ESPN, the pourus MNF numbers, and his contract not being guaranteed.

Several former players and at least one journalist are confirming it's legit, so who knows. Again, I remain skeptical.

I think if he goes back to coaching it will be in the NFL. Better pay, better gig, and he'd have his pick of teams.

Mark Schlabach tweeted this morning that if Gruden takes the Tenn job, Schlabach would sing Rockey Top in the town square of Madison, GA on Christmas Eve.

Tapate50
11-16-2017, 09:30 AM
You really dont think deals can get made, and people know about it, without mainstream media knowing?

You still doubling down on this?

Carp
11-16-2017, 12:46 PM
I think if he goes back to coaching it will be in the NFL. Better pay, better gig, and he'd have his pick of teams.

Mark Schlabach tweeted this morning that if Gruden takes the Tenn job, Schlabach would sing Rockey Top in the town square of Madison, GA on Christmas Eve.

I don't know about better pay. The highest paid NFL coach is Payton at 8 million. But, you would be correct about better gig. Someone mentioned he'd be interested in the Titans gig if it came available due to his man crush on Mariota. Not sure I believe that one either, but it doesn't really matter. Titans gig won't open up as long as we make the playoffs this year, and it's looking like that's a pretty likely scenario as long as Mariota stays healthy.

striker42
11-16-2017, 12:51 PM
I don't know about better pay. The highest paid NFL coach is Payton at 8 million. But, you would be correct about better gig. Someone mentioned he'd be interested in the Titans gig if it came available due to his man crush on Mariota. Not sure I believe that one either, but it doesn't really matter. Titans gig won't open up as long as we make the playoffs this year, and it's looking like that's a pretty likely scenario as long as Mariota stays healthy.

I'm not sure I'd want Gruden if I was Tennessee. He's a big name and has a Super Bowl ring but he doesn't have much of a college resume. Also, the man has expressed his disdain for recruiting in the past and a head coach that's not a great recruiter will get eaten alive in the SEC.

Carp
11-16-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure I'd want Gruden if I was Tennessee. He's a big name and has a Super Bowl ring but he doesn't have much of a college resume. Also, the man has expressed his disdain for recruiting in the past and a head coach that's not a great recruiter will get eaten alive in the SEC.

To be fair, the guy is a rock star. His repuation alone would drive interest from recruits (at least in the beginning). You don't think QB recruits would line up to be coached by him? Having a great staff would have to be a priority though.

Again, I think it's wishful thinking and message board hooplah. But reports from a least a couple of reputable news sources that the UT AD and a crew of "recruiters" flew down to Tampa last night to make their pitch.

BlackwaterPark
11-18-2017, 07:35 PM
You still doubling down on this?

Yes. It’s going to happen still as far as I’ve heard.

BlackwaterPark
11-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Spurrier also squashed this rumor tonight as well. Says he believes there's almost a 100 percent chance the next Florida coach is currently coaching right now.

Spurrier has no decision making ability in this process.

BlackwaterPark
11-19-2017, 07:10 PM
It’s done. Watch, news will be breaking soon.

Krgrecw
11-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Jim Mora Jr was just fired by UCLA. UCLA wants chip badly.

Carp
11-20-2017, 10:52 AM
It’s done. Watch, news will be breaking soon.

News reports are saying no agreement and Chip (or is his agent as it were) is reportedly meeting with UCLA today. Why would he be meeting with UCLA if it was done?

zitothebrave
11-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Jim Mora Jr

https://i.giphy.com/media/VMgcrwq9imGHu/giphy.webp

Krgrecw
11-20-2017, 04:58 PM
News reports are saying no agreement and Chip (or is his agent as it were) is reportedly meeting with UCLA today. Why would he be meeting with UCLA if it was done?

He’d do much better at UCLA. The sec defenses would show the holes in Chip Kelly’s schemes

BlackwaterPark
11-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Hes not meeting with UCLA, just rumors.

Carp
11-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Really? Cause MSN, CBS, and several other sites have reported Kelly is meeting with UCLA today. While what you say could be true, it's unlikely big media outlets would run this story without legit sources.

Also, even two local Florida sports writers have reported no agreement has been made.

BlackwaterPark
11-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Really? Cause MSN, CBS, and several other sites have reported Kelly is meeting with UCLA today. While what you say could be true, it's unlikely big media outlets would run this story without legit sources.

Also, even two local Florida sports writers have reported no agreement has been made.

Ok well they can report that all they want, but Chip hasn't, and I feel very strongly never will, meet or talk with UCLA...He will be announced shortly after UF's season ends on Saturday to be compliant with his buyout from the 49ers.

Carp
11-21-2017, 01:50 PM
I read an article yesterday that stated his NFL buyout would have no affect on a college position. I'm trying to find that article now. Still, multiple reports from UF beat writers still claim no agreement was reached. If this were true, it would have been leaked by now by more than message board "insiders". You don't think people at ESPN, (where he works) would get info before anyone in Florida?

zitothebrave
11-21-2017, 02:41 PM
I think Kelly signs with Florida because it's a football first school while UCLA is a basketball first school, but I think the only draw to UCLA is the prestige of playing in the biggest market in the world.

BlackwaterPark
11-21-2017, 04:00 PM
I read an article yesterday that stated his NFL buyout would have no affect on a college position. I'm trying to find that article now. Still, multiple reports from UF beat writers still claim no agreement was reached. If this were true, it would have been leaked by now by more than message board "insiders". You don't think people at ESPN, (where he works) would get info before anyone in Florida?

Chip signing the deal any time before the end of the Gators vs FSU game would cost him 6.5 million from the 49ers. There is no reason to just not wait. The deal is done, they just cannot formally announce anything until the Gators season is over. Once the season is over, he would be the coach of the 2018 Florida Gators, not the 2017 Gators.

The UF president, AD, head PR person, and 3 assistant AD's were all with Chip for 3-4 hours on Sunday night. You dont get that many big guns, on a Sunday night, to fly to NH for no reason. Also, numerous big money donors and contacts I have, are told the deal is done, they are just waiting to clear the contract stipulation. Also, why dont you think UF is trying to beg for the game that got cancelled to be rescheduled to get a bowl birth, similar to what FSU did? Because by doing so, it would extend UF's 2017 season into late December, and effect when Chip could be signed and announced.

Tapate50
11-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Ok well they can report that all they want, but Chip hasn't, and I feel very strongly never will, meet or talk with UCLA...He will be announced shortly after UF's season ends on Saturday to be compliant with his buyout from the 49ers.

ESPN's Mark Schlabach reports Chip Kelly met with UCLA officials on Tuesday and will choose between UCLA and Florida "in the coming days"

Schlabach adds Kelly will not consider any other openings. The two offers and locations are quite different from a recruiting standpoint. Thanks to his transition from college to the NFL, we know Kelly wants to enforce his identity on his program. Deciding which school will accept and buy into that is the most important piece to this choice.

Carp
11-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Just getting ready to post that Tapate. Still a chance UF hires him, but it's pretty clear he hasn't agreed to anything yet.

jpx7
11-22-2017, 02:06 PM
ESPN's Mark Schlabach reports Chip Kelly met with UCLA officials on Tuesday and will choose between UCLA and Florida "in the coming days"

Schlabach adds Kelly will not consider any other openings. The two offers and locations are quite different from a recruiting standpoint. Thanks to his transition from college to the NFL, we know Kelly wants to enforce his identity on his program. which school will accept and buy into that is the most important piece to this choice.

Then he'll choose Florida, in the end: they're definitely more desperate.

Krgrecw
11-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Then he'll choose Florida, in the end: they're definitely more desperate.

Los Angeles or Gainesville?

jpx7
11-22-2017, 04:06 PM
Los Angeles or Gainesville?

I wouldn't choose to live in either location, but if those were my only two options, I'd choose Los Angeles easily (no humidity, better restaurants).

But, according to the report Tapate posted, Kelly's decision won't come down to where he wants to live more, but to "which school will accept and buy into" his identity more. With UF desperate to get back to glory-days—but, even more than that, to get back to scoring points—I'd give the edge to the Gators in terms of "accepting and buying into" whatever Kelly wants.

Carp
11-22-2017, 04:17 PM
If UF is his choice, I see that relationship going south pretty quick. Too many ego's at UF to cater to his "identity."

NinersSBChamps
11-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Coaching carousel is going to be nuts in the coming weeks. So many “big time” jobs could open up.

Carp
11-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Reports coming out that Chip has accepted the UCLA job.

Krgrecw
11-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Coaching carousel is going to be nuts in the coming weeks. So many “big time” jobs could open up.

Especially if Jimbo leaves FSU and goes to TAMU.

jpx7
11-22-2017, 07:16 PM

Certainly he knows the state, from recruiting at Oregon, and likewise the league overall; and moreover knows it's easier to compete, and compete quickly, in the Pac-12.

Carp
11-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Yep. He obviously wanted to be out West. He knows the area better and the pressure to win won't be as high. UF just fired a coach who had been to back to back SEC Championship games. Kelly can average 8-9 wins at UCLA and have it made.

Wonder where UF turns now after getting spurned by their top 2 choices? Strong may be? Mike Norvell? I really can't see Mullen going to UF after reports that I've read.

Carp
11-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Appears the articles were deleted. Perhaps they were a bit premature. A couple different sites were reporting it though, as well a few sports writers. Strange.

Tapate50
11-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Haven’t seen that, but I saw where UF was expected to expand its search as of Tuesday. That was Pat Forde so it wasn’t a throwaway rumor

jpx7
11-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Yep. He obviously wanted to be out West. He knows the area better and the pressure to win won't be as high. UF just fired a coach who had been to back to back SEC Championship games. Kelly can average 8-9 wins at UCLA and have it made.

Wonder where UF turns now after getting spurned by their top 2 choices? Strong may be? Mike Norvell? I really can't see Mullen going to UF after reports that I've read.

I think Charlie Strong is a great coach, and would be a good hire—except that his specialty is the other side of the ball from where UF wants to focus.

Tapate50
11-23-2017, 06:35 PM
I think Charlie Strong is a great coach, and would be a good higher—except that his specialty is the other side of the ball from where UF wants to focus.

I agree completely

Carp
11-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Haven’t seen that, but I saw where UF was expected to expand its search as of Tuesday. That was Pat Forde so it wasn’t a throwaway rumor

SB NATION originally reported it, but has since deleted the article. They were probably a bit premature. Profootballspot.com also has an article out on it.

Carp
11-23-2017, 10:22 PM
I think Charlie Strong is a great coach, and would be a good hire—except that his specialty is the other side of the ball from where UF wants to focus.

I like Charlie Strong, but not sure I'd call him a "great" coach. He definitely runs a clean program though, and is a helluva recruiter. Florida could do a lot worse.

NinersSBChamps
11-23-2017, 10:48 PM
I like Charlie Strong, but not sure I'd call him a "great" coach. He definitely runs a clean program though, and is a helluva recruiter. Florida could do a lot worse.

Clean program and the SEC don’t belong together.

Carp
11-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Sources reporting that UF is out for Kelly.

NinersSBChamps
11-24-2017, 05:26 PM

UCLA is a better fit for him I think. Florida is a high profile position. Don’t think Chip wants to have that burden on his shoulders.

Krgrecw
11-24-2017, 05:35 PM

But we were told it’s a done deal

Tapate50
11-24-2017, 06:19 PM
But we were told it’s a done deal

Yep was told it was a lead pipe lock.

So I’m going with Blackwater, he said it’s all rumor he met with UCLA

Carp
11-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Some reports say Kelly signed a preliminary non-binding agreement with UF. Either way, I won't bash Blackwater for getting excited. I was the same way in 2012 before we hired Butch Jones. The Jon Gruden rumors were in full force back then as well and at one point several "inside sources" said it was a done deal. Clearly that never happened. Which is why I am not buying those same rumors this time around.

NinersSBChamps
11-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Let the madness begin.

Bielema out at Arkansas. Reily out at Nebraska. Chip to UCLA.

Tapate50
11-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Gus to Ark? Jimbo to A&M ?

Frost to UF?

Carp
11-25-2017, 06:45 PM
I think Frost to Nebraska is a forgone conclusion at this point.

mqt
11-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Gus to Ark? Jimbo to A&M ?

Frost to UF?

Why would Malzahn or Fisher leave their current schools to go to obviously inferior programs?

mqt
11-25-2017, 07:04 PM

This aged well.

Carp
11-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Why would Malzahn or Fisher leave their current schools to go to obviously inferior programs?

Malzahn to Arky has been rumored for awhile. Apparently some bad blood in the program and Malzahn wants out. Plus he is from Arkansas, went to school there, and started his coaching career there.

Krgrecw
11-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Jumbo is an SEC guy. I could see all the distractions at LSU making one want leave.