PDA

View Full Version : Ohtani

TheBravos
11-29-2017, 11:37 PM
The more I think about him....the more interested I become. He could play in the outfield (Ohtani, Ender and Acuna), and then Lane on days he pitches. He might be expensive, but if you consider getting a possible power bat AND power pitcher...he could be worth every penny. Also signing him would bolster the rotation and allow us to trade someone. Am I crazy?? What’s the downside here??

zbhargrove
11-29-2017, 11:46 PM
The more I think about him....the more interested I become. He could play in the outfield (Ohtani, Ender and Acuna), and then Lane on days he pitches. He might be expensive, but if you consider getting a possible power bat AND power pitcher...he could be worth every penny. Also signing him would bolster the rotation and allow us to trade someone. Am I crazy?? What’s the downside here??

The downside? How the hell are we going to pay him with our international penalties? Everyone can forget Ohtani.

Enscheff
11-29-2017, 11:58 PM
Every team has a shot at Ohtani because he is supposedly prioritizing many other things besides his signing bonus. Every single team is interested and will make their pitch to him by answering the memo his agent sent out.

The Braves best shot would be to offer him time in the OF between starts. He is very unlikely to be a legit hitter, but the team that gets him will be a team who offers him a chance to show what he can do at the plate.

Having said that, I would be completely shocked if Ohtani doesn’t sign with an AL team in one of the Top 2-3 markets or Toronto.

thewupk
11-30-2017, 07:50 AM
The downside? How the hell are we going to pay him with our international penalties? Everyone can forget Ohtani.

If Ohtani only cared about the money he would of just waited one more year and not be subject to the IFA cap of ~5 million or whatever it is. I think the team that gives him what he wants in terms of playing time as a hitter will have the best shot.

4maddux_cy's
11-30-2017, 01:10 PM
I could see him landing in Seattle as well. They have had success in signing Japanese players over the years.

Enscheff
11-30-2017, 01:18 PM
I could see him landing in Seattle as well. They have had success in signing Japanese players over the years.

Yeah, it's probably NY, LA, Chicago, Seattle, or Toronto. Maybe a Texas team...maybe.

Personally, I'd rather see him go to a fringe contender rather than a team that's already good, so I'd like to see him on the Angels, Jays, or Mariners.

Southcack77
11-30-2017, 01:25 PM
May just be me, but I see them talking about him playing two ways and my first instinct is that he probably fails both ways.

I totally support the effort to sign him though, cause the risk/reward is right.

TheBravos
11-30-2017, 04:10 PM

Sorry, I thought he was a free agent that did not count as international pool money. ��

nsacpi
11-30-2017, 04:17 PM
I hear Kawakami-san strongly recommended the Braves to him

jpx7
11-30-2017, 04:36 PM
I hear Kawakami-san strongly recommended the Braves to him

I wonder how big of an impediment to signing Japanese players that relationship-bungling has been / will be.

thewupk
11-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Sorry, I thought he was a free agent that did not count as international pool money. ��

Actually him being subject to that is the only chance the braves would have.

thewupk
12-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Ohtani turned down the Yankees who could have given him the 2nd biggest offer. Reports are he's leaning towards a west coast team. I'm thinking Seattle.

Horsehide Harry
12-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Ohtani turned down the Yankees who could have given him the 2nd biggest offer. Reports are he's leaning towards a west coast team. I'm thinking Seattle.

I think it will be San Diego. Reportedly he wants to blaze his own trail as far as a japanese player goes. Can't do that in Seattle.

jpx7
12-04-2017, 02:13 AM
I think it will be San Diego. Reportedly he wants to blaze his own trail as far as a japanese player goes. Can't do that in Seattle.

Will San Diego allow him to play the field when he isn't pitching? That seems to be the strike against NL teams—that he can't DH his way to two-way status.

The Cubs could be a darkhorse if the NL is indeed in play: his "own trail as far as a Japanese player" could be erasing the Fukudome memory.

nsacpi
12-04-2017, 08:00 AM

San Diego can make a strong pitch. Young team on the rise. Laid back market. And they can play him in right for two or three games a week. The other favorites have guys like Cruz and Pujols that presumably stand in his way of getting at bats.

thethe
12-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Uh oh

Jaw
12-13-2017, 12:44 AM
Wow.

msstate7
12-13-2017, 06:21 AM
How significant is this? Does a sprain generally lead to a tear?

JxnMissFan
12-13-2017, 07:50 AM

Doesnt surprise me he has an elbow issue. Darvish and Tanaka both had elbow issues early on. This probably means his career will look a lot like Tanaka

Obtani has become the biggest diva in the MLB in my opinion. What a clown. He makes this big deal out of where he will sign a la LeBron James while knowing he has a UCL sprain and can't pitch.

NYCBrave
12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Doesnt surprise me he has an elbow issue. Darvish and Tanaka both had elbow issues early on. This probably means his career will look a lot like Tanaka

Obtani has become the biggest diva in the MLB in my opinion. What a clown. He makes this big deal out of where he will sign a la LeBron James while knowing he has a UCL sprain and can't pitch.

Why is this his fault? The reports are saying every MLB team had the medical reports, so they were well aware. Additionally, he has full clearance to be ready for spring training. Tanaka has a similar injury and thus far has been able to avoid Tommy John surgery, FYI.

Southcack77
12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Makes a little more sense why he would come over early rather than wait for a payday.

He's racing time with that elbow.

UNCBlue012
12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Makes a little more sense why he would come over early rather than wait for a payday.

He's racing time with that elbow.

I wonder how much the Angels already knew?

clvclv
12-13-2017, 09:37 AM

They knew everything - every team bidding on him got full medical workups - this wasn't a secret to the teams bidding on him.

Enscheff
12-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Why is this his fault? The reports are saying every MLB team had the medical reports, so they were well aware. Additionally, he has full clearance to be ready for spring training. Tanaka has a similar injury and thus far has been able to avoid Tommy John surgery, FYI.

Sour grapes because he didn't even give the Braves the time of day. I can promise you folks would be all over his nuts if he picked Atlanta.

Enscheff
12-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Did you even read the article? Or just fall for the click bait headline?

Bravesfannchar
12-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Technically, a sprain is a tear. It’s just reallllly small tear of ligament.

Edit added for reading pleasure:
https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/understanding-sprains-strains