PDA

View Full Version : GDT: Braves @ Dodgers (NLDS Game 4, October 7, 2013)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

NinersSBChamps
10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Let's win this and head back to Atlanta!

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Must win. I work til 8 today so I'll be running home drom work grabbing dinner on the way so that I don't have to risk missing any of the action. I'll be more into this game than yesterdays even if it's a blowout simply because this may be the last time I watch the Braves until next April. (Don't count preseason)

NYCBrave
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I took the day off tomorrow because this is going to be a late night. Hopefully my loyalty to the team will be rewarded lol.

NinersSBChamps
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Must win. I work til 8 today so I'll be running home drom work grabbing dinner on the way so that I don't have to risk missing any of the action. I'll be more into this game than yesterdays even if it's a blowout simply because this may be the last time I watch the Braves until next April. (Don't count preseason)

Same boat my friend. I work until 8 and the game starts at 7:30 for me. Gonna record the first 45 minutes or so and stay off the internet and my phone until I am watching it live.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I think we'll score some runs off Nolasco. Five solid innings, or even four, from Garcia would be great. Carpenter and Kimbrel were not used last night. I expect those two to pitch three innings between them.

NYCBrave
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I think we'll score some runs off Nolasco. Five solid innings, or even four, from Garcia would be great. Carpenter and Kimbrel were not used last night. I expect those two to pitch three innings between them.

I'd actually like to hear the explanation of not going with Medlen to give us our best chance to win, but of course the cream puff Atlanta media doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. :YDS:

Tapate50
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Rally caps ENGAGE!

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Our season has come down to the community consensus negative poster making our GDT.

Oh my lord. :Bunchie1:

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Our season has come down to the community consensus negative poster making our GDT.

Oh my lord. :Bunchie1:

he reminds me a little of Frodo

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:04 AM
I'd actually like to hear the explanation of not going with Medlen to give us our best chance to win, but of course the cream puff Atlanta media doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. :YDS:

Two questions. What would you expect from Garcia tonight? What would you expect from Medlen?

I'm waiting for someone out there to give some data on the performance of guys going on three days rest in the playoffs.

NYCBrave
10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Two questions. What would you expect from Garcia tonight? What would you expect from Medlen?

I'm waiting for someone out there to give some data on the performance of guys going on three days rest in the playoffs.

I'm not advocating either one really. But with the season on the line, I'd like to see us use our ace of the past 2 months, even if it's only on 3 days rest. I have no idea what to expect out of Garcia. He wasn't very good last year with the Yankees in the playoffs, and wasn't very good before we picked him up.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:07 AM

For many, it's the principle of go with what got you to the dance, not the scraps you found on the side of the road that was left for dead.

I personally would rather have Medlen in there just because, he helped us get to the dance. At the same time I'm not bashing Fredi for using Freddy.

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm not advocating either one really. But with the season on the line, I'd like to see us use our ace of the past 2 months, even if it's only on 3 days rest. I have no idea what to expect out of Garcia. He wasn't very good last year with the Yankees in the playoffs, and wasn't very good before we picked him up.

Hopefully Fredi has Medlen in the pen ready to go if it's a close game and we need multiple innings. I'd rather burn him today than get eliminated while trying to stretch Garcia or by putting someone like Hale in there for too long. We won't have Wood available I presume, Avilan may not be available, so we're a little low on options.

NYCBrave
10-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Here's the best I can find on 3 days rest stats, draw your own conclusions:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/764422/three-days-rest_medium.jpg

Enscheff
10-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I saw nothing out of Medlen that makes me think he would be more effective on short rest than Garcia will be.

Having said that, if Garcia's spot in the lineup comes up in the 2nd or 3rd with men on base, Fredi better PH for him. The BP should be able to handle 6-7 innings in an elimination game. They have all offseasone to rest if they fail.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Hopefully Fredi has Medlen in the pen ready to go if it's a close game and we need multiple innings. I'd rather burn him today than get eliminated while trying to stretch Garcia or by putting someone like Hale in there for too long. We won't have Wood available I presume, Avilan may not be available, so we're a little low on options.

I think the plan for tonight has to be:

Innings 1-4: Garcia (possibly with help from Hale or Avilan if necessary)

Inning 5: Ayala

Inning 6: Avilan/Walden/Hale

Innings 7-9: Carpenter/Kimbrel

Innings 10 and beyond: Medlen

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Avilan may not be available

Have you been asleep this entire season?

Everyone should know, Always Available Avilan is ready at the beat of a drum.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Here's the best I can find on 3 days rest stats, draw your own conclusions:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/764422/three-days-rest_medium.jpg

Thanks for that. Check my math, but I come up with a 4.7 ERA for the group.

NYCBrave
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks for that. Check my math, but I come up with a 4.7 ERA for the group.

How many of those outcomes would you consider "acceptable"?

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Avilan threw 9 pitches last night. He will be available.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:22 AM
We are assuming that Avilan, Walden, Carpenter, and Ayala do not give up any runs at all.

Kimbrel likely pitches the 8th if we're down by a run me thinks.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:22 AM
How many of those outcomes would you consider "acceptable"?

All except the last three.

What are the chances you can get this or better than Garcia: 5 IP 3 Runs 3 Earned Runs

To be honest, my own expection from Medlen on three days rest and Garcia are about the same. I'm sort of neutral on this issue. Which makes me take exception to those claiming a compelling case one way or the other.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM
All except the last three.

What are the changes you can get this or better than Garcia: 5 IP 3 Runs 3 Earned Runs

Or based off this series so far, Garcia : 5 IP, 5 runs, 3 earned.

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM

I would guess 3 IP 6 runs 2 earned. Elliot and Wood had errors yesterday I'm guessing today it will be Gattis and CJ. :YDS:

On a serious note I think Freddy does ok, today he'll have a short leash so if he starts struggling someone will come in.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Well if you are assuming the team makes errors behind Garcia that leads to unearned runs, is there a reason to think they will play better defense behind Medlen?

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Well if you are assuming the team makes errors behind Garcia that leads to unearned runs, is there a reason to think they will play better defense behind Medlen?

Probably not.

I'd still probably rather watch Medlen pitch. He didn't throw that many innings or pitches the other day anyways.

Like I said, I'm not gonna bash Fredi for going with Freddy because if Huddy or Beachy is not out for the rest of the season we're probably looking at a different scenario anyways.

NinersSBChamps
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I may or may not be able to post the lineups. My phone gets awful service inside, but I will try and take my lunch around 4:00 and I will check if they have been posted.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Lineup should be the same as it has been if we're trying to get maximum offense.

tululush
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Crap. I take full responsibility for the loss last night. Friday night at the game around the 4th inning I took my hat, flipped it inside out and wore it for the remainder of the game. They played excellent since I made the change. Vowed I'd wear it the same way all through game 3. Totally forgot and look what happened. Crap. Someone remind me to wear my rally cap tonight, please.

Rally caps ENGAGE!

stpeteirish
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Maybe we taught him how to pitch again.

Joking, of course but he's been good with us, and we do have a pitching coach so maybe they were able to help him.

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Lineup should be the same as it has been if we're trying to get maximum offense.

Yup

Though I'll make a strong case for game 5 to start the game is put Gattis behind the plate and Bossman in CF. While we're taking a big hit losing Mac there, we massively improve our OF defense which really hurt us in game one costing us 2 runs minimum that normal defensive OF probably saves. Games when facing someone like Kershaw, defense is Magnified as is situational hitting. So having Mac off the bench may prove even more valuable. While he made solid contact against Kershaw in game one I'd take my defensive improving chances then bring Mac in later in the game as a PH for the pitcher/defensive replacement for Gattis. If we're in say the 7th and tied and there's a runner on second who would you want to call on more, Mac, or Reed?

There's of course a huge offensive risk to this strategy but given what our offense looked like on Thursday, I'll take my crack with the defensive first play.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:44 AM
This could be Garcia's last chance at a postseason start becuase chances are if we cut him, he's only going to go to a team desperate like Cubs or Twins or Miami.

Let's hope he's locked in.

stpeteirish
10-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Getting Hanley out would appear to be essential to our success tonight. He's 3-8 vs Freddy and 5-9 vs Medlen.

This isn't helping much, I know.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
IBB Hanley every opportunity you can.

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
IBB Hanley every opportunity you can.

Problem is that right after him you have Adrian. So it's not like you get rest. I think we need to approach Hanley in a similar manner we approached Ryan Howard, heavy diet of breaking balls, preferably out of the zone. He kills fastballs, and he hits breaking balls well, but he smokes fastballs, we're more likely to contain him with breakingballs and hoping he chases a few bad pitches. He's the guy we have to focus all our attention on because keeping him off the bases makes life easier for handling the guys behind him.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Adrian other than the homerun and fisted single he hit, has looked somewhat human.

Hanley on the other hand... every swing he takes I cringe.

tululush
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
That's the problem, with maximum offense we're getting killed defensively. Balls that should be caught in left are dropping. Weather that be bloops where Gattis is playing so deep, or he misplays a ball off the wall (see Hanley's triple last night). I just think we have to find a happy medium. Two out of the three games there have been runs scored and innings extended bc his lack of defense has hurt us. Literally every ball is finding him. I don't want to lose his bat or take Mac out since he's hit Nolasco hard but damn if we lose tonight bc an inning was extended or a ball wasn't caught I don't know if I can handle that.

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Adrian other than the homerun and fisted single he hit, has looked somewhat human.

Hanley on the other hand... every swing he takes I cringe.

I agree that Hanley is the biggest threat, but putting him on 100% of the time isn't the solution either. Now if there's a runner on second, I'd probably agree with you I wouldn't throw him a pitch withing 6 inches of the plate. I'd try to get him to chase ball one and 2 and if he doesn't then I'd put him on.

Right now the Dodgers have 4 guys who're killing it so far, Hanley, Puig, A-Gon, and Uribe. They're the guys we have to gameplan for they're the ones who hurt us the most. Crawford has done well, AJ Ellis has done well (though I believe he was the benefactor of our OF defense game one IIRC)

BTW this is how our hitters are doing for ****s and giggles in OPS

Gattis 1.083
Freeman .801
Simmons .750
Heyward .692
Johnson .667
Justin .580
Mac .250
Elliot .091

Elliot and Mac are also the only players not on the Reds in the NL to not have a hit. 2 other Braves don't have extra base hits (Gattis and CJ)

The dodgers have basically power drained the Braves so far, so it would be really nice to have a power surge tonight. We have a lot of guys walking, a lot of guys hitting for decent averages. But no one is hitting for power since we have only 1 homer and 3 doubles through 3 games. Same total that the Reds had in their elimination game.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
If we must lose, I want it to be in LA because I can't stomach another game 5 loss in Atlanta, and I want it to not be heartbreaking because I've had enough of that recently between this team, the Falcons and UGA in the postseason.

Now that we got that out the way,

let's go win us a damn baseball game. :tchop::rock:

stpeteirish
10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
MLBN is showing Garcia vs Nolasco in their trailer for the Tigers, A's game. Personally, I'd much rather see Nolasco/Kershaw than Kershaw/Grienke.

Media would know by now if he's throwing Kershaw, wouldn't they?

Julio3000
10-07-2013, 12:55 PM
We know Garcia isn't going to blow them away. I just hope he can locate, and our defense sharpens up.

tululush
10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
I think since he's more of a soft tosser a lot more balls are going to be put in play. I'd bench one of Mac/Gattis, have one play catcher and go with either Schafer or BJ in the outfield.

We know Garcia isn't going to blow them away. I just hope he can locate, and our defense sharpens up.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 02:04 PM
We are assuming that Avilan, Walden, Carpenter, and Ayala do not give up any runs at all.

Kimbrel likely pitches the 8th if we're down by a run me thinks.

You absolutely have to pitch him.

CrimsonCowboy
10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Mark Bowman is saying that it sounds like the Dodgers are starting Kershaw tonight. He's waiting on confirmation.

Confirmed: Clayton Kershaw is staring tonight for Los Angeles

Mrs. Meta
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
http://imgur.com/NpPM3yW

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
In that case, Medlen needs to be ready to roll if Garcia falters any. I can't say I blame the Dodgers. Nolaso has been awful lately, and Greinke isn't a bad guy to have starting game 5.

Gary82
10-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Mark Bowman is saying that it sounds like the Dodgers are starting Kershaw tonight. He's waiting on confirmation.

Confirmed: Clayton Kershaw is staring tonight for Los Angeles

LOL.

I didn't expect us to win tonight either way. Might as well make it as difficult as possible.

CrimsonCowboy
10-07-2013, 02:33 PM
For whatever it matters, Kershaw has never pitched on short rest

Mrs. Meta
10-07-2013, 02:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NpPM3yW.png

drewdat
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Seems like it opens the door a bit in a very hypothetical Game 5.

Gary82
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 3m
With a win today the Pirates would win their 1st postseason series since 1979. Every active MLB team has won at least 1 since then.

Damn. Are we heading toward Pirate territory?

CrimsonCowboy
10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m
#Dodgers’ move to Kershaw probably will work - he’s facing #Braves’ Garcia - but history of post-season starters on short rest is NOT good.

sturg33
I hope Fredi doesn't look like a total fool tomorrow. Starting Freddy Garcia against Kershaw in an elimination game has the prospects of being a laughable decision.

Maybe Kershaw falls on his face due to the short rest.

Garmel
Kershaw tonight? ****'s about to get real.

jdunn
10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Crazy damn thing. The team that lead the majors in ERA, suddenly doesn't have the pitching to get through a 5 game series.

jdunn
10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Mattingly is probably thinking he only needs 5 innings from Kershaw, though he's liable to 8.

bravesfan247
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Im a die hard Braves fan but at least throwing Kershaw saves me time of watching and staying up late.

weso1
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Dumb decision by Mattingly, imo. Nolasco is not bad at all as a #4 guy. No reason to make this move when you're up a game.

I honestly like our chances better facing Kershaw on short rest and Greinke rather than Nolasco and then a fully rested Kershaw.

Not saying that our chances are good now, but I personally think this is better.

Bdawg2309
10-07-2013, 02:48 PM
bench mccann now that nolasco isn't pitching?

Gary82
10-07-2013, 02:48 PM
This move could end Mattingly's stint as Dodgers manager. The Braves beat Greinke, and throwing Kershaw at us on three days rest could go wrong.

But they're playing against the Braves. Nothing will go wrong.

goldfly
10-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I hope Fredi doesn't look like a total fool tomorrow. .

hahahaha

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
bench mccann now that nolasco isn't pitching?

Absolutely. Need the best defense possible in the outfield.

Hawk
10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Can't believe they are throwing Kershaw out there again. Just doesn't seem smart all things considered.

weso1
10-07-2013, 02:53 PM
This move could end Mattingly's stint as Dodgers manager. The Braves beat Greinke, and throwing Kershaw at us on three days rest could go wrong.

It's just a pretty big risk that I don't think the Dodgers need to take. What if Kershaw just isn't as good on 3 days rest? You've essentially wasted your best weapon if that happens.

Dalyn
Dumb decision by Mattingly, imo. Nolasco is not bad at all as a #4 guy. No reason to make this move when you're up a game.

I honestly like our chances better facing Kershaw on short rest and Greinke rather than Nolasco and then a fully rested Kershaw.

Not saying that our chances are good now, but I personally think this is better.

I agree. It is an unnecessary risk. If we had won yesterday, it would be the right move.

The Chosen One
Can't believe they are throwing Kershaw out there again. Just doesn't seem smart all things considered.

With as hittable as our pitching has been, Kershaw could probably give up 2-3 runs and it'd be safe.

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Ah hell freddi should definitely start meds but he won't ugh

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
So I assume Garcia has a short hook just how short is it though woods not avaliable so hale or Medlen? I'd ask Garcia to get through 4 and turn it over to Medlen

weso1
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
With as hittable as our pitching has been, Kershaw could probably give up 2-3 runs and it'd be safe.

Another reason not to throw Kershaw tonight. It's not like the Dodger's aren't favored to win tonight.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2013/09/12/3c41120d-384d-49c8-b8cb-05b6bac4fa27news.ap.org_r420x280.jpg?ca0e922ee927e b2e02de37a91d76a7b88ee18120

Braves1976
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Garcia vs Kershaw? are you kidding me? Oh man, this is a nightmare. This is exactly why I complained so much about throwing games away by starting Loe in Sept. Of course we only missed first overall by a single win too. What a nightmare.

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I want minor in game 5 if it gets that far and then let Medlen start game 1 against stl/pit if we beat Kershaw and grienke but imagine the egg on the medias face If we pull it off

bravebonebook
10-07-2013, 03:02 PM

I'm afraid the baseball gods hate the Braves. Maybe Ted Turner p!ssed them off somehow. Mattingly will come out looking like a genius after tonight...

weso1
10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
The media will be ripping the crap out of Mattingly if the Dodgers lose tonight.

Pugfan
10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
He just threw 124 his last start. Now he's pitching on short rest? Pretty stupid if you ask me.

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Reminds me of when bochy brought Kevin brown out of the pen when there was no need to and we beat brown that night fun fact Maddux got the save that day. Anyway anythings possible here's to hoping for a game 5 I just hope Freddi's stubbornness doesn't come back to bite us. Medlen should be starting this game not Garcia

weso1
10-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm afraid the baseball gods hate the Braves. Maybe Ted Turner p!ssed them off somehow. Mattingly will come out looking like a genius after tonight...

Probably because he gave all that money to the UN instead of the Braves. Imagine where we'd be if Turner gave a billion dollars to the Braves instead of the stupid UN. That selfish bastard.

jdunn
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Mac actually had good swings against Kershaw. He'll be in there.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM

The thing that pissed off the baseball gods was cutting Buddy Hernandez at the end of spring training 2005.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
The chess game continues. That's all I can say.

weso1
10-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Fredi will now start Laird at catcher to counter the move.

Mrs. Meta
10-07-2013, 03:09 PM

I heart your chess posts!

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Not a bad move Kershaw is death on lefties and Mac hasn't hit lefties as well this year then previously start laird

jdunn
10-07-2013, 03:15 PM
The 9:30 game time actually gives Kershaw 3.25 days rest

graffy
10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
The 9:30 game time actually gives Kershaw 3.25 days rest

Didn't Game 1 start at 8:37?

tululush
10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Fredi wants to know why his chess pieces come in two colors (red and black) and why they all have the same flat shape to them.

Braves1976
10-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Dodgers going for the kill, Fredi going for veteran presents. Embrace the horror!

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Does anyone agree that Medlen should be starting this game?

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Fredi wants to know why his chess pieces come in two colors (red and black) and why they all have the same flat shape to them.

Odd. He should checkers up on that.

weso1
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Does anyone agree that Medlen should be starting this game?

Normally I would, but he looked pretty bad in game one. The problem is that we don't have any good options for a #4 starter. Blame Wren for that, imo.

CrimsonCowboy
10-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Normally I would, but he looked pretty bad in game one. The problem is that we don't have any good options for a #4 starter. Blame Wren for that, imo.

Not sure about Wren, but absolutely agree with the rest

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:21 PM

Yep.

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 03:24 PM
All the better I don't think Medlen will be that bad again redemption time

Braves1976
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
There is certainly plenty of blame to go around. I kept hearing about that money we had for upgrades at the deadline. But instead it passed with no upgrades aside from a cheap reliever that isn't even on our playoff roster. Wren gave us plenty of excuses about that of course.

I reckon Liberty just pockets that money we never spent. If it ever was really what we had to spend to begin with.

jsebe10

Lol hardly.

It's a great move dude. He's relying soley on the Dodgers offense here. We do not have an arm on this staff that can slow this offense down at all right now.

Kershaw will be pin point tonight and the Braves will continue their historical October warm up for the WS Champs.

jcc03004
All the better I don't think Medlen will be that bad again redemption time
Medlen is our best option that's avaliable I have more faith in hale starting over garcia

jcc03004
10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Wacha is perfect through 5

Heyward
We were gonna have to beat Kershaw to win the series.

Take my chances with Kershaw on short rest over full rest.

Braves1976
Just think, if Loe would've pitched well in his one start he'd probably made the playoff roster too. Veteran presents and all that...

tululush
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
I can say with 100% confidence that if this happened to anyone else the other team would light up Kershaw and Mattingly would be burned at the stake. However, since this is the Braves this will make him look like a genius and the Dodgers will go on to win the world series. Always happens. ALWAYS. I just don't understand why we're always the stepping stone for the world series champs? Seriously.

Five
10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Regardless of postseason short rest history, if I were Mattingly, I'd do the same thing.

Im assuming he believes they are gonna score against any of our pitchers, even if Kershaw gives up 4 or 5, they're still gonna win.

Brash move, hope it backfires tho.

Enscheff
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
We were gonna have to beat Kershaw to win the series.

Take my chances with Kershaw on short rest over full rest.

Most logical post in this thread.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
There is certainly plenty of blame to go around. I kept hearing about that money we had for upgrades at the deadline. But instead it passed with no upgrades aside from a cheap reliever that isn't even on our playoff roster. Wren gave us plenty of excuses about that of course.

I reckon Liberty just pockets that money we never spent. If it ever was really what we had to spend to begin with.

We did claim Lohse. But the Brewers were not interested in a trade, at least one that had reasonable terms.

tululush
10-07-2013, 03:38 PM
If that's the case then why do it? Why not save Kershaw for a game 5 on full rest or a game 1 on full rest? Nothing good can come of this if you think your team (dodgers) can hit any of our pitchers. It reeks of desparation and I hope he falls flat on his gd face.

Regardless of postseason short rest history, if I were Mattingly, I'd do the same thing.

Im assuming he believes they are gonna score against any of our pitchers, even if Kershaw gives up 4 or 5, they're still gonna win.

Brash move, hope it backfires tho.

tululush
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Think not only would we have Loshe as an extra great arm in the post season but he wouldn't have thrown that gem against up in the Carlos Gomez game...so we'd have hfa, the pirates, and a better starter. Hmmmm.

We did claim Lohse. But the Brewers were not interested in a trade, at least one that had reasonable terms.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:40 PM
We could've had Lohse before the season. Then we wouldn't have Teheran throwing more innings than ever before (and it showing). Wren messed up.

thethe
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
We could've had Lohse before the season. Then we wouldn't have Teheran throwing more innings than ever before (and it showing). Wren messed up.

So you wanted to start Teheran in the minors again? Thats not right iMO.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
So you wanted to start Teheran in the minors again? Thats not right iMO.

I am already on the record with that before the season started (minors or bullpen). It is what it is. Obviously, it would've been the right move.

thethe
10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I am already on the record with that before the season started (minors or bullpen). It is what it is. Obviously, it would've been the right move.

I don't agree with that and I don't think you can say it was the right move because of what happened yesterday.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't agree with that and I don't think you can say it was the right move because of what happened yesterday.

It is not just about yesterday. Obviously. Teheran's performance is a small part of it. We also have the throw away games in September and Garcia going tonight. With Lohse, we likely have HFA with Teheran pitching tonight (if necessary).

Diesel
10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
This does stink of desparation for Mattingly. I think it's a poor decision and could backfire. He must really think we have Nolasco's number, because they are going to need to rely on him at some point if they advance. If we had a chance beat Kershaw, it's definitely in this scenario. I think he's doing the opposite of what all coaches should do....put your players in position to succeed.

Believe me when I say this is a good thing for the Braves. Atlanta wins 9-4.

thethe
10-07-2013, 03:48 PM
It is not just about yesterday. Obviously. Teheran's performance is a small part of it. We also have the throw away games in September and Garcia going tonight. With Lohse, we likely have HFA with Teheran pitching tonight (if necessary).

I just can't agree with a strategy that didn't have Teheran starting the season in the major league rotation after he did not need to do anything left at the minor league level. Teheran proved all year that he deserved to be in the majors and the Braves long term are better off that he did. Hudson's injury was so freak that you can't lump it in with regular pitcher injuries. If that didn't happen then we would have been more than fine.

Braves1976
10-07-2013, 03:49 PM

True, but that was an attempt to improve our starting pitching after the deadline. I was speaking about the lack of moves before the deadline.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 03:50 PM

How did he mess up. Boras always waits very late in the game trying to extract the last penny before his clients sign. Lohse signed very late. And before he signed his salary demands were unreasonable. No wanted wanted him on those Boras' terms. You can't plan your roster around the assumption you can sign a player whose agent is using those kinds of negotiating tactics. I do think we were thin in AAA in terms of starting pitching depth. We could have upgraded the staff there at no great cost and maybe had a better option or two once Hudson went down and Beachy's recovery did not go as planned.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:50 PM
I just can't agree with a strategy that didn't have Teheran starting the season in the major league rotation after he did not need to do anything left at the minor league level. Teheran proved all year that he deserved to be in the majors and the Braves long term are better off that he did. Hudson's injury was so freak that you can't lump it in with regular pitcher injuries. If that didn't happen then we would have been more than fine.

Do we really need to go over this again? Sure. Hudson's specific injury was not something you could predict, but needing more depth WAS. This was not an unusual year. We used the amount of pitchers we typically do.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
How did he mess up. Boras always waits very late in the game trying to extract the last penny before his clients sign. Lohse signed very late. And before he signed his salary demands were unreasonable. No wanted wanted him on those Boras' terms. You can't play your roster around the assumption you can sign a player whose agent is using those kinds of negotiating tactics. I do think we were thin in AAA in terms of starting pitching depth. We could have upgraded the staff there at no great cost and maybe had a better option or two.

Even if you don't agree regarding Lohse, you still answered your own question.

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Fellas...we GOT THIS!

Trust 'Ol Hula here.

I have sacrificed a whole pile of live ants today.

thethe
10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Do we really need to go over this again? Sure. Hudson's specific injury was not something you could predict, but needing more depth WAS. This was not an unusual year. We used the amount of pitchers we typically do.

Its just not fair to hold this against Wren. Huddy should have been healthy all year and we would have been fine all year with the right amount of depth. Its fair to get on his case about CF/2B and the bullpen not the starting rotation. No team would have started Teheran in AAA this year. That would make no sense.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Fellas...we GOT THIS!

Trust 'Ol Hula here.

I have sacrificed a whole pile of live ants today.

It better work. Or...

http://www.gweem.net/pictures/Jones/antsofdoom.gif

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Its just not fair to hold this against Wren. Huddy should have been healthy all year and we would have been fine all year with the right amount of depth. Its fair to get on his case about CF/2B and the bullpen not the starting rotation. No team would have started Teheran in AAA this year. That would make no sense.

Even if you don't agree regarding Lohse/Teheran, Wren still ignored the depth problem. Saying Huddy should've been ANYTHING is just being silly. You can't do that when you are building a team for a 162-game season.

thethe
10-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Even if you don't agree regarding Lohse/Teheran, Wren still ignored the depth problem. Saying Huddy should've been ANYTHING is just being silly. You can't do that when you are building a team for a 162-game season.

Wren could have acquired someone at the deadline thats fine. But before the season like you are advocating makes no sense. There was no room in the starting rotation to add someone.

You aren't getting a frontline guy to be in the AAA rotation and the guys that came up during the year actually did a good job. But, thats why they are willing to go to AAA because they aren't big time pitchers so whats the difference for now?

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Even if you don't agree regarding Lohse, you still answered your own question.

No, that part we are in agreement. I think several of us discussed this early this year. We needed more starting pitching options in AAA. There was one spot in the Gwinnett rotation in particular that went to Tom Corcoran at the start of the season. The season is so long and the attrition rate for pitchers is so high that you don't want to waste even one spot on the AAA rotation on someone who has very little chance of being able to help the big league team.

In retrospect, I wish David Hale had been given 3 or 4 more major league starts (some of which went to Garcia). He might yet play a significant role tonight.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Other than tommy john, Huddy's been pretty reliable in his career and for us. He's had a few DL stints but what starting pitcher hasn't?

What type of depth were you looking for? You can't just sign guys to the AAA club and have htem ready to come up when we need. Only guys who take those deals are guys like Kameron Loe or Freddy Garcia.

We started out with the projected rotation of

Hudson
Medlen
Minor
Teheran
Maholm

with the assurance that Beachy could come back later on, and that we had some guys in the minors who could give us a few spot starts llike we've done for years.

Wren knew it was time to take the diapers off Teheran after he got rid of Delgado.

What more depth were you thinking of other than signing old guys off the street?

Nobody starts off with projected 6-7 man rotations.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:06 PM
No, that part we are in agreement. I think several of us discussed this early this year. We needed more starting pitching options in AAA. There was one spot in the Gwinnett rotation in particular that went to Tom Corcoran at the start of the season. The season is so long and the attrition rate for pitchers is so high that you don't want to waste even one spot on the AAA rotation on someone who has very little chance of being able to help the big league team.

In retrospect, I wish David Hale had been given 3 or 4 more major league starts (some of which went to Garcia). He might yet play a significant role tonight.

Yeah. I would rather Hale be going tonight than Garcia.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Other than tommy john, Huddy's been pretty reliable in his career and for us. He's had a few DL stints but what starting pitcher hasn't?

What type of depth were you looking for? You can't just sign guys to the AAA club and have htem ready to come up when we need. Only guys who take those deals are guys like Kameron Loe or Freddy Garcia.

We started out with the projected rotation of

Hudson
Medlen
Minor
Teheran
Maholm

with the assurance that Beachy could come back later on, and that we had some guys in the minors who could give us a few spot starts llike we've done for years.

Wren knew it was time to take the diapers off Teheran after he got rid of Delgado.

What more depth were you thinking of other than signing old guys off the street?

Nobody starts off with projected 6-7 man rotations.

That is exactly my point. And PLENTY of competitive teams leave Spring Training with two or three options for the #5 spot. We had one pretty much all of Spring Training. Gilmartin never made a step in the right direction. We got lucky with Wood or this could've been a lot worse. As is, it will likely sink the team. Cost us HFA and a decent #4 for the playoffs.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:13 PM
That is exactly my point. And PLENTY of competitive teams leave Spring Training with two or three options for the #5 spot. We had one pretty much all of Spring Training. Gilmartin never made a step in the right direction. We got lucky with Wood or this could've been a lot worse. As is, it will likely sink the team. Cost us HFA and a decent #4 for the playoffs.

Where are those two or three options going to? Our bullpen was clogged at the beginning of the year. They're going back to AAA.

What options would you have had? You're either going to sign the Kameron Loe's of the world looking to hang on to a team and designate him to AAA on standby, or you call up young pitchers to start from the minors like we've done the last 10 years.

Where is the depth going to go?

And still, no team starts out the year with 6-7 starters on the roster.

jpx7
10-07-2013, 04:13 PM
While it should by no means vindicate Fredi, I really hope Freddy's string of recent luck continues, with a phenomenal performance backed by some thunderous PAs from Freddie.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM
You can say we got lucky with Wood, and unlucky with Beachy.

You know why there are Freddy Garcias of the world? Because other teams use guys like that to fill out rotations. Guys like Buddy Carlyle, Mike Redman, Adam Bernero.

You can't realistically expect to have 6-7 solid starters, no team does that.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Where are those two or three options going to? Our bullpen was clogged at the beginning of the year. They're going back to AAA.

What options would you have had? You're either going to sign the Kameron Loe's of the world looking to hang on to a team and designate him to AAA on standby, or you call up young pitchers to start from the minors like we've done the last 10 years.

Where is the depth going to go?

And still, no team starts out the year with 6-7 starters on the roster.

On the 25-man? No. 40? Competitive teams absolutely do. All the time.

Braves1976
10-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Personally, I don't our think depth was a major issue. I would argue Fredi preference for washed up veterans over our more solid yet younger depth hurt a lot more. If Fredi would've gave Hale or Poveda a shot instead of Loe. I really think we'd finished first overall (we lost it by a single game in the end). I also believe Obispo would've helped if given a shot when we needed it.

Dalyn

You know why there are Freddy Garcias of the world? Because other teams use guys like that to fill out rotations. Guys like Buddy Carlyle, Mike Redman, Adam Bernero.

You can't realistically expect to have 6-7 solid starters, no team does that.

Man. Garcia isn't filling out any rotation. He is pitching the deciding game in the playoffs.

drewdat
Could have let Lohse play 2B until we needed him in the rotation.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Could have let Lohse play 2B until we needed him in the rotation.

:happy0157:

That's true.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
On the 25-man? No. 40? Competitive teams absolutely do. All the time.

Show me.

I don't count long men like Cristian as starters either.

Depth was not an issue. Depth would be an issue if we had only 3 starters. We had 5 very capable starters at the start of the season plus Beachy coming back if needed. You sign guys like Freddy to linger in AAA until you have to call him up. You don't sign Kyle Lohse and ask him to sit at AAA until Huddy goes down. Wren was ready to let Teheran start, Minor who was durable last year, and a full year of Medlen with Maholm who had no injury issue last season.

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Show me.

I don't count long men like Cristian as starters either.

Depth was not an issue. Depth would be an issue if we had only 3 starters. We had 5 very capable starters at the start of the season plus Beachy coming back if needed. You sign guys like Freddy to linger in AAA until you have to call him up. You don't sign Kyle Lohse and ask him to sit at AAA until Huddy goes down. Wren was ready to let Teheran start, Minor who was durable last year, and a full year of Medlen with Maholm who had no injury issue last season.

I've shown it several times already. No point in going over this again and again.

weso1
10-07-2013, 04:22 PM

It's always best to get lucky with Wood.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 04:23 PM

I think you want all five of your starting pitchers in AAA to have some possibility of helping the big league team if the need arises. You need to assume injuries. A couple to the major league rotation. A couple to the AAA rotation.

The interesting thing is that a couple of the guys in the AAA rotation did have decent seasons. Hale and Poveda. In light of that, it is puzzling and disappointing that someone like Loe got called up and was even given a start. Both Hale and Poveda were pitching better than Loe in AAA. I won't argue against Freddy Garcia. By that point in the season he was a good pickup. He had pitched well for the Orioles in AAA, but not in the majors. And he gave us three good starts. I think the Loe callups were the real headscratchers among the pitching choices the front office made late in the season.

And going back early in the season, I still get angry thinking about the way Fredi ran Gearrin into the ground. Gearrin was the kind of guy I would have wanted around come October. But he was destroyed through overuse in May. Fredi does a lot of weird things with his pen. I think he is for the most part a decent manager. But when he comes to bullpen management, I think he leaves a lot to be desired.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I've shown it several times already. No point in going over this again and again.

Ok, link me to those posts because I haven't seen it.

Depth was not an issue, if it was then we wouldn't be here in the playoffs.

We're a mid market team that has to rely on guys being healthy, we don't have the luxury of having 7-8 reliable starters. We had 5 projected, with Beachy coming back and then pick your scraps.

If we had money, we wouldn't have to pick up guys like Elliot Johnson off waiver.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't see Kershaw struggling much tonight. Knowing the Braves we'll do even worse against him.

In any event, we're going to have to beat him anyway.

And I don't care how tough he is on lefties, Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman both are going to have to deliver tonight.

Braves1976
10-07-2013, 04:26 PM
I think you want all five of your starting pitchers in AAA to have some possibility of helping the big league team if the need arises. You need to assume injuries. A couple to the major league rotation. A couple to the AAA rotation.

The interesting thing is that a couple of the guys in the AAA rotation did have decent seasons. Hale and Poveda. In light of that, it is puzzling and disappointing that someone like Loe got called up and was even given a start. Both Hale and Poveda were pitching better than Loe in AAA. I won't argue against Freddy Garcia. By that point in the season he was a good pickup. He had pitched well for the Orioles in AAA, but not in the majors. And he gave us three good starts. I think the Loe callups were the real headscratchers among the pitching choices the front office made late in the season.

And going back early in the season, I still get angry thinking about the way Fredi ran Gearrin into the ground. Gearrin was the kind of guy I would have wanted around come October. But he was destroyed through overuse in May. Fredi does a lot of weird things with his pen. I think he is for the most part a decent manager. But when he comes to bullpen management, I think he leaves a lot to be desired.

My thoughts exactly.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't disagree with injuries are to be assumed and that AAA needs to be filled up with filler guys.

Problem is, those quality guys you're asking for won't help the team that much. They're in AAA for a reason.

Not many teams had the luxury like us to have a rookie start the year out as the #5.

weso1
10-07-2013, 04:29 PM
There's no doubt the Dodgers are still favorites in this game. But now they aren't favorites in game 5 anymore if they play it.

Diesel
10-07-2013, 04:30 PM
124 pitches last time out and now he's going on short rest for the first time in his career. Why even risk that? In a non elimination game?

It gives Atlanta their best shot at success, if you ask me. It might work out for LA, but it's a weird move nonetheless.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Maybe not, but Greinke isn't exactly a walk in the park. And the way their bats are swinging right now, I'd like their chances.

I view this as Mattingly showing a sign of respect that he doesn't want this thing to go back to Atlanta.

nsacpi
10-07-2013, 04:33 PM
The most recent weird/bad pen decision by Fredi was bringing back Walden for the second inning last night. It was predictable Walden would struggle. And also he probably won't be available or effective in tonight's game because of the extra pitches he threw in that second inning.

I also remember in September when Walden was coming back, Fredi pushed him hard in back to back games as soon as he got back. Completely unnecessary and led to a setback.

And I remember thinking that it was ridiculous the way he pushed Beachy into the eight inning in his second start (third overall, but second after the first setback). It sounds like Beachy had some problems with his elbow that needed cleaning up anyhow and I wouldn't blame Fredi for that. But I was shocked Beachy was brought out for the eighth inning in that game.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:35 PM
The most recent weird/bad pen decision by Fredi was bringing back Walden for the second inning last night. It was predictable Walden would struggle. And also he probably won't be available or effective in tonight's game because of the extra pitches he threw in that second inning.

I also remember in September when Walden was coming back, Fredi pushed him hard in back to back games as soon as he got back. Completely unnecessary and led to a setback.

And I remember thinking that it was ridiculous the way he pushed Beachy into the eight inning in his second start (third overall, but second after the first setback). It sounds like Beachy had some problems with his elbow that needed cleaning up anyhow and I wouldn't blame Fredi for that. But I was shocked Beachy was brought out for the eighth inning in that game.

I remember that game and it had nothing to do with innings as Beachy was efficiently around 80 pitches or so.

Unlike Teheran, who pitches 5-6 innings and is already at 102 pitches.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Another thing. If Kershaw is gonna be bad on short rest, seems like an ideal time to have Uggla's power in the lineup.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Another thing. If Kershaw is gonna be bad on short rest, seems like an ideal time to have Uggla's power in the lineup.

Can we DL Fredi?

DirkPiggler
10-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Maybe not, but Greinke isn't exactly a walk in the park. And the way their bats are swinging right now, I'd like their chances.

I view this as Mattingly showing a sign of respect that he doesn't want this thing to go back to Atlanta.

I see it the exact opposite. I think Mattingly is counting this series as in the bag, and is trying to set his rotation to where he'll have Greinke in game one and Kershaw in game two of the NLCS.

Agree 100% with the posters who have said that this is the best of a sorry set of circumstances for the Braves. I'd rather see Kershaw with three days rest after throwing 124 pitches, even if he's facing Garcia, than on full rest against Medlen in the deciding game. We know for sure that to win the series we will have to beat Kershaw at some point. Might as well be when there are at least a couple of factors that might work against him.

I also see a small bright side to starting Garcia. The Dodgers have been murdering fastballs in this series. Maybe a junkballer will upset their rhythm a little bit. At the very least they may not hit his mistakes quite as far.

[/optimism]

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Can we DL Fredi?

I just want to know who all was in on the roster-making decision, and how they all managed to let each other get away with it. It defies logic so much to carry seven outfielders, at least two of which carry redundant skill sets to the table, and only one backup infielder.

Oh well. Hoping for the best. But the sooner we jump on Kershaw the better.

tululush
10-07-2013, 04:48 PM
10 spot in the first inning and don't look back. Please. Just one time. Actually two times, one for game four and one for game five. Annnnnd GO!

I just want to know who all was in on the roster-making decision, and how they all managed to let each other get away with it. It defies logic so much to carry seven outfielders, at least two of which carry redundant skill sets to the table, and only one backup infielder.

Oh well. Hoping for the best. But the sooner we jump on Kershaw the better.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:50 PM
WE WILL COCKTHRUST TODAY.
:pound:

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Oh. Yeah.

Happy Birthday, Medlen! :Alone:

NinersSBChamps
10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
So our season rides on Freddy Garcia against Clayton Kershaw. Doubt anyone thought this would ever happen. Go get boys!

TURBO
10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
WE WILL COCKTHRUST TODAY.
:pound:

I wake up everyday and say this to myself.

jpx7
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Can we DL Fredi?

He's clearly disabled; not sure if it's been listed anywhere else, but it's been catalogued copiously here.

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 04:55 PM
What we WILL SEE is a FREAKING FIRST INNING BEAT DOWN of KERSHAW. That is all.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:56 PM
What we WILL SEE is a FREAKING FIRST INNING BEAT DOWN of KERSHAW. That is all.
'Yeah, probably not but I love the enthusiasm.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Hopefully by the end of the night, all the Fredi bashing will be blaming him for not starting Freddy Garcia in Game 1 sooner. :Alone:

Dalyn
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Garcia will probably pitch five no-hit innings and Fredi will pull him.

weso1
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Everyone on the TBS postgame show agreed it was an unnecessary risk. I want to see the meltdown so bad if we win tonight.

bravesfan247
10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Guys I appreciate the optimism but we've got a better chance of Chipper coming out of retirement and hitting 2 HR's tonight than we have of beating Kershaw.
I was leary facing Nolasco. Kershaw? Let's hope he gets hurt in 1st.

jpx7
10-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Guys I appreciate the optimism but we've got a better chance of Chipper coming out of retirement and hitting 2 HR's tonight than we have of beating Kershaw.

Awesome Post, Great Job!

weso1
10-07-2013, 05:06 PM

I'm not entirely convinced you really do appreciate the optimism.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not entirely convinced you really do appreciate the optimism.

He was the infamous poster that said we would get swept by St. Louis and Rockies during that homestand in August.

You had to shut him and the doubters wrong when we ended up sweeping both.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Garcia will probably pitch five no-hit innings and Fredi will pull him.

To protect himself from you bashing him when he lets Garcia go out there for another inning and gives up 3 bombs back to back to back. :cooter:

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
We need unrelenting support from everyone today.

I want an army users so big we hit close to a 75 page GDT and the server collapses.

OR SO HELP ME GOD
:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:: pound::pound::pound::pound:

TURBO
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_73vrC8K-GHM/TClRy99u5VI/AAAAAAAADZU/FF50VbGmtJU/s1600/believe_tomahawk_hdr.gif

chipchildress
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
It will probably work out for LA, but this is crazy starting Kershaw on short rest.

The ace in the hole for the Dodgers has always been having the Cy Young winner available on full rest with the season on the line. Now that's gone.
I feel this move significantly increases Atlanta's chances of winning the series, as slim as those odds still are.

It's gonna take a Freddie Garcia miracle though.

TURBO
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Desperate Measures
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1009222/Cups.gif.opt_medium.gif

drewdat
Same lineup. So we've got that going for us.

holden
Garcia vs Kershaw for our playoff lives.

Ordinarily, I'd compose a long post about how idiotic this is, and how Garcia is really a 5 ERA pitcher who got hot/lucky for a couple starts, and we're just throwing our season away.. but the absurdity of this situation is too much for me. It makes me want to laugh, literally.

I love baseball.

Bdawg2309
10-07-2013, 05:22 PM

guaranteed W now

bravesfan247
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
He was the infamous poster that said we would get swept by St. Louis and Rockies during that homestand in August.

You had to shut him and the doubters wrong when we ended up sweeping both.

It worked then. :)

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
It worked then. :)
:icwudt:

I C WUT U R DOIN THER.

holden
10-07-2013, 05:27 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 16h
#Braves Freddy Garcia: "I don't panic. I just make pitch."

:Gasp:

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Garcia's been in the United States for how long, and his english is still that bad?

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Well, you know what they say. It takes a miracle to end a curse.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
This thread just reeking optimism.

Time to watch porn and go to the gym before the game, or gym and then porn? :confused:

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Garcia vs Kershaw for our playoff lives.

Ordinarily, I'd compose a long post about how idiotic this is, and how Garcia is really a 5 ERA pitcher who got hot/lucky for a couple starts, and we're just throwing our season away.. but the absurdity of this situation is too much for me. It makes me want to laugh, literally.

I love baseball.

Great post. Same here.

drewdat
10-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Garcia's been in the United States for how long, and his english is still that bad?

Plus he didn't even have to attend US public schools. Really no excuse.

Bj1133
10-07-2013, 05:32 PM
As good as Kershaw is, having seen the guy just 4 days ago has to help the Braves somewhat.....right? I'm grasping for anything right now

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
As good as Kershaw is, having seen the guy just 4 days ago has to help the Braves somewhat.....right? I'm grasping for anything right now

:cooter:

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Kershaw will not be Roger Clemens and beat us on short rest.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 05:35 PM
You guys need to CHILL OUT.

All of your reverse jinxing is cancelling out the real jinxing and it's bringing the odds back to neutral which means not in our favor of winning.

holden
10-07-2013, 05:35 PM

The Rog had some extra help.

holden
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Let Garcia get through the lineup once, then play the match-ups. That could actually work, maybe. If Fredi is able to pull this off, I'll sing his praises.

Chances are though he treats it like a regular game and Garcia gets torched in the fifth.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Where is Jake Taylor with Pedro Cerrano's bucket of KFC chicken?

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I just sent some more ants up to the baseball Gods for good measure.

Haven't started drinking the lucky IPA yet...but am getting close to that point as well.

Feeling GOOOOOOD about this one.

We got this bitches.

AerchAngel
10-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Dorn infused impression.

"Let' go and kick their ass tonight and make the pundits smell our sweat down below...............after sex"

jpx7
10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
This thread just reeking optimism.

Time to watch porn and go to the gym before the game, or gym and then porn? :confused:

Going to hit the tanning-bed and laundromat while you're at it, bro?

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I just want someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be alright.

Tapate50
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Dorn infused impression.

"Let' go and kick their ass tonight and make the pundits smell our sweat down below...............after sex"

You rang? I was out hobnobbing with my broker

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
I just want someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be alright.

I'll bring you some warm milk, your teddy bear, and blue blankie too.

Relax. We got this.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 06:24 PM

http://youtu.be/SwobPulFSXw?t=4m17s
Skip to 4:17

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Found out today I'm being transferred within my company and have to commute an extra 25 minutes to and from work each day. I think God owes me a Braves win tonight.

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I think you are owed one too.

He'll, I think we all are.

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 06:53 PM
We're owed a ****ing postseason series victory is what we're owed. And that's the very least of it.

But it doesn't look like we're going to get it.

Five
10-07-2013, 06:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tp55eSBxKk

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Not to quote the much inferior Major League 2, but....

"Hell! When a man's lights are about to turn out.....THE FAT LADY CAN'T SING IF IT'S NOT OVER!"

jsebe10
10-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Like I've been saying. I wish and pray for some of the optimism that some of you have, but I strongly believe that we do not have an arm on our staff that can slow this Dodger offense down. Kershaw will be lights out off the intimidation factor alone.

$220 mil trumps $90 mil anyday of the week. Sorry, just no winning tonight for the Braves. The Dodgers are locked in right now b

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Like I've been saying. I wish and pray for some of the optimism that some of you have, but I strongly believe that we do not have an arm on our staff that can slow this Dodger offense down. Kershaw will be lights out off the intimidation factor alone.

$220 mil trumps $90 mil anyday of the week. Sorry, just no winning tonight for the Braves. The Dodgers are locked in right now b

1) We have the heart of a Lion. We simply will NOT lose tonight.
2) Kershaw wasn't all that in the first game. And now he is on three days rest after a very long (123 pitch) outing.
3) Our junk baller will get a lot of weakly hit balls in play. I have a strong hunch he will baffle the Dodgers. Just need to get him through four.
4) Our offense is way over due to put more than a few in the seats. Says here Kershaw gives us every opportunity.
5) See point # 1

Braves 8
Dodgers 1

Book it.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Man, I'm as pessimistic as most, but at this point the whole $220 million vs. $90 million thing only drives the point further home....

All we've got left is to hope and believe.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Greg Colbrunn is Boston's hitting coach.

Further proof we need to bring Keith Lockhart back.

TDlxANDER
10-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I think this is a stupid move by Mattingly that will prob work out for him. I do think it increases the Braves odds of winning the series.

TDlxANDER
10-07-2013, 07:32 PM
OT: Evan Longoria is so good

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Man, all this Elliot Johnson talk, it would be ok if Mark DeRosa was traded to us after we claimed him in August.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I could have gotten behind DeRosa. I know some said his defense had tailed off, but it couldn't be worse than what we've had.

Really wish Heyward hadn't taken his hate for baseball out on Pastornicky on that pop up.

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 07:35 PM

I wouldn't lack so much confidence if it wasn't Freddy Garcia pitching.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't lack so much confidence if it wasn't Freddy Garcia pitching.

I'd feel a million times better about it if we were up 2-1.

The Chosen One
10-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd feel a million times better about it if we were up 2-1.
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves (https://twitter.com/ajcbraves)18h (https://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/387090964365312001)
#Braves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Braves&src=hash) Freddy Garcia: "I don't panic. I just make pitch."

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 07:41 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves (https://twitter.com/ajcbraves)18h (https://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/387090964365312001)
#Braves (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Braves&src=hash) Freddy Garcia: "I don't panic. I just make pitch."

#Braves Fredi Gonzalez: "I don't fret. I just tip cap."

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
#Braves Fredi Gonzalez: "I don't fret. I just tip cap."

#Ol' Hula: "I don't worry about Garcia vs. Kershaw. I just kill ants to appease the baseball Gods."

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
And, more sacrificial ants have gone to the great anthill in the sky.

We should win a blowout.

gbpackers231
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
collectively, this braves roster has gotten on base 21 times in 100 PA vs kershaw (including game 1), with 1 homer and 5 RBI. but kershaw has never pitched on such short rest. and our offense is due. anything can happen

thethe
10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm feeling an El Oso Blanco homer!

cajunrevenge
10-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm feeling an El Oso Blanco homer!

Only 1?

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm feeling an El Oso Blanco error!

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Got myself some terrapin to drink, and if **** gets bad early, some Punkin to get wrecked on.

stpeteirish
10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
so what happens if the Rays/Redsox game isn't over at 9:37?

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 08:13 PM
so what happens if the Rays/Redsox game isn't over at 9:37?

TNT.

Dalyn
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02461/CHICKEN_2461356b.jpg

bravesnumberone
Got myself some terrapin to drink, and if **** gets bad early, some Punkin to get wrecked on.

Rye? Hopsecutioner? Drink enough Hopsecutioners and you won't remember the game.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 08:14 PM
If the Braves have to play on TNT, can Charles Barkley do color commentary?

Elliot Johnson is tuuurrrrible. turrible.

Carp
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
TNT.

Dynamite

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 08:17 PM
On another note, please don't wear the blue away jerseys tonight. Never liked them.

CyYoung31
10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
On another note, please don't wear the blue away jerseys tonight. Never liked them.

They're not.

Hawk
10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
If the Braves pull this out, first round of beers on me Wednesday night at the Ted.

atl717
10-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Its a joke we are sending Garcia out there in a pivotal game. Teams with championship aspirations dont do that. This is the biggest postseason mismatch I have ever seen. Zero chance of winning and a 1st round exit makes our season a failure.

Five
10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
http://rantsports.media.s3.amazonaws.com/mlb/files/2013/02/Fredi-Gonzalez-Atlanta-Braves.jpg

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Its a joke we are sending Garcia out there in a pivotal game. Teams with championship aspirations dont do that. This is the biggest postseason mismatch I have ever seen. Zero chance of winning and a 1st round exit makes our season a failure.

Relax! WE GOT THIS!!!!!!

I have killed thousands of ants here.

sc1767
10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Gotta say it doesn't look good for us but really, a little better defense and an ounce of luck on a couple of balls we were in it with Kershaw the first time. Garcia starting, yes kind of scary. Maybe we can still get it back to Atlanta.

zitothebrave
Rye? Hopsecutioner? Drink enough Hopsecutioners and you won't remember the game.

Hopsecutioner. No matter what I drink I'll be drunk before the game is over. May switch after my first hopsecutioner to the Punkin just ot have one in honor of October.

yeezus
The Rog had some extra help.

So does Kershaw: Elliott Johnson

yeezus
10-07-2013, 08:31 PM

I'm not saying I'm happy to watch Garcia tonight, but baseball might be the most random game-to-game sport there is, hence the 162-game season. He could go out and throw a gem. We could get a few timely hits off Kershaw. It's one game, and it's more of an "any given game" thing in baseball than it is in football or basketball (maybe not hockey...).

The A's started Sonny Gray and he absolutely dominated. Now, Gray has nice potential. But he had made 10 career starts and flat-out shutdown a very, very good offense.
Anything could happen. I'm going to try and enjoy it, and if Garcia surprises me, then it'd be awesome.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Alright, let's do this damnit!!!!

mossy
10-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I'll be happy with whatever happens tonight. We won our division, won a home playoff game, and we have the youngest team in baseball.

*satisfied Braves fan*

gbpackers231
10-07-2013, 08:34 PM

we dont have anyone that can go on short rest. the dodgers do. simple as that

Hulavol
10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Alright Boys, I am tuning in and cracking a good luck IPA.

Y'all give 'em he'll.

Be back later to celebrate!!!

Julio3000
10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/c3f/50d/259/resized/fred-meme-generator-da-mystery-of-chessboxing-1478b4.jpg?1381196133.jpg

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Good start. We'll take it. Wouldn't hurt to take some pitches though!!

zitothebrave
10-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Let heyward run.

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 08:41 PM
What the absolute ****? Justin Upton bunting isn't going to win this game.

Five
LMFAO........here we ****ing go, WTF DONT ****ING BUNT

zitothebrave
Wtffffffffff justin

holden
Way to take the bat out of your hands, Upton.

I really, really hope Fredi didn't call for that.

Julio3000
Freddy vs. Kershaw?

Just look at it as less pressure on us.

Sincerely,

Julio3000
*Relentlessly lowering expectations since the early 2000s*

TDlxANDER
10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Lol...our big power bat is bunting to set up our lefties...

bravesnumberone
10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Not only that, he bunted with a lefty coming up.

ViperVisor
10-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Bunt down to 3rd and everyone is safe.

He could also hit a rocket HR or rocket Double play.

Got to execute.