PDA

View Full Version : Pitch clock for 2018 season.

salmagundy
01-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Regardless of MLBPU approval or not, Manfred is going to install a 20 sec pitch clock probably.

From MLBTR

....... but that Manfred will likely exercise his power to unilaterally implement the new measure despite a failure to reach agreement with the union.

Jeff Passan has a copy of the details of the MLB's intentions

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlbs-plan-can-make-baseball-games-least-10-minutes-shorter-224752035.html

Horsehide Harry
01-19-2018, 01:49 AM
Regardless of MLBPU approval or not, Manfred is going to install a 20 sec pitch clock probably.

From MLBTR

....... but that Manfred will likely exercise his power to unilaterally implement the new measure despite a failure to reach agreement with the union.

Jeff Passan has a copy of the details of the MLB's intentions

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlbs-plan-can-make-baseball-games-least-10-minutes-shorter-224752035.html

If they want to speed the games they need to cut some of the commercials...

clvclv
01-19-2018, 10:42 AM

Of course.

But then how do you propose paying salaries???

bravesnumberone
01-19-2018, 10:50 AM
What is their solution for every single playoff game getting bogged down starting in the fourth inning with pitching change after pitching change the second someone hits a line drive?

The Chosen One
01-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Yep. Pretty sure all the time cut out of pitchers delay and stuff will just be put towards more commercials.

bravesfanMatt
01-19-2018, 12:24 PM
This is awesome. Couple this with the no pitch intentional walk and we have a fix. I mean alone the no pitch walk saved. Wait what. Games were longer last year. ****. Colored me shocked. Manfred needs to be banned for life for just being a dumb ****.

drewdat
01-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Just scrap the pitch clock and run commercials between pitches. You're welcome.

At least during mound visits.

The Chosen One
01-19-2018, 03:03 PM
I don't get why broadcasters here don't do what a lot of international networks do for advertising.

Instead of cutting away from the game to commercial, the commercials will pop up on screen in a smaller window during the game for a few second advertisement. Could easily do that during pitching changes, during mound visits, etc.

drewdat
01-19-2018, 03:08 PM
I don't get why broadcasters here don't do what a lot of international networks do for advertising.

Instead of cutting away from the game to commercial, the commercials will pop up on screen in a smaller window during the game for a few second advertisement. Could easily do that during pitching changes, during mound visits, etc.

NFL started doing that in between PAT and kickoff for whichever ones didn't get full commercial breaks, and I don't think it really took anything away, other than 30 seconds of cheesy forced camaraderie.

The Chosen One
01-19-2018, 03:10 PM
NFL started doing that in between PAT and kickoff for whichever ones didn't get full commercial breaks, and I don't think it really took anything away, other than 30 seconds of cheesy forced camaraderie.

You'd be more inclined to stay on that channel watching the things in the background, than changing the channel and lingering on something else.

bravesnumberone
01-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Just show commercials through an electronic screen on the backstop and give us the option of muting Chip and Joe. Will give Chip more time in the powder room.

mossy
01-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Just show commercials through an electronic screen on the backstop and give us the option of muting Chip and Joe. Will give Chip more time in the powder room.

This, though I'd like an option to listen to the radio side while watching the TV broadcast.

Mad Dog Murph
01-20-2018, 06:47 PM
What's a commercial? I haven't seen a commercial since the invention of the DVR. Start watching the game an hour later and zip right through those suckers.

jpx7
01-21-2018, 04:12 PM

It’s really a twofer: no “full” commercial break, and no additional excuses for subbasement-level “banter” from the Joe Simpsons of the world.

salmagundy
02-02-2018, 09:53 AM
To those who complained about the length of commercials and number, rejoice. Manfred has dropped the pitch clock for this season but wants more effort in compliance with existing "speed up the games" rules including shortening of commercials.

From MLBTR

The on-field procedures would include hitters remaining in the batter’s box at all time, and both hitters and pitchers would have to be immediately ready once the commercial break in between innings comes to an end. (The commercial breaks themselves would also be shortened.) As well, each team would be limited to six total mound visits per game, whether it was a manager, pitching coach, catcher or another player making the trip. Should these changes result in an average game-time of two hours and 55 minutes in the coming season, Manfred said a pitch clock wouldn’t be implemented for the 2019 season. The pitch clock also wouldn’t be used in 2020 should game times in 2019 fall to two hours and 50 minutes.

Super
02-02-2018, 10:08 AM
watching soccer is awesome because there's only commercials once.

Garmel
02-02-2018, 10:55 AM
watching soccer is awesome because there's only commercials once.

Yep. However, one can make the argument that soccer is more boring than the commercials themselves.

Super
02-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Yep. However, one can make the argument that soccer is more boring than the commercials themselves.

i personally enjoy the beauty and grace of it a lot. but i used to feel it was boring.

salmagundy
02-03-2018, 09:12 PM
IMO, another BAD choice for speeding up games.

Put a runner on 2B to start an extra inning. Wouldn't help the Braves at all, could put him at 3B and the likelyhood of him scoring is slim and none if '17 is the measure.

https://tomahawktake.com/2018/01/30/mlb-put-runner-second-base-try-speed-play/

Horsehide Harry
02-03-2018, 10:51 PM
To those who complained about the length of commercials and number, rejoice. Manfred has dropped the pitch clock for this season but wants more effort in compliance with existing "speed up the games" rules including shortening of commercials.

From MLBTR

The on-field procedures would include hitters remaining in the batter’s box at all time, and both hitters and pitchers would have to be immediately ready once the commercial break in between innings comes to an end. (The commercial breaks themselves would also be shortened.) As well, each team would be limited to six total mound visits per game, whether it was a manager, pitching coach, catcher or another player making the trip. Should these changes result in an average game-time of two hours and 55 minutes in the coming season, Manfred said a pitch clock wouldn’t be implemented for the 2019 season. The pitch clock also wouldn’t be used in 2020 should game times in 2019 fall to two hours and 50 minutes.

Hey, they could just widen the strike zone by one foot to either side and lengthen from the top of the dirt to the bill of the cap. That should speed things up nicely.....:roll:

salmagundy
02-21-2018, 10:01 PM
In addition to the announced limited number of visits to the mound, there is a new wrinkle. This added "time shortening" wrinkle has not been talked about much by media pukes.

2:05 breaks between innings, with details on milestone within that time period shown here.

Pitchers are no longer guaranteed the current 8 warm-up pitches.

Pitcher will be advised when his last warm-up pitch is happening (25 seconds remaining between innings).

Batter must approach the box as the last warm-up pitch is thrown. (Does this mean no throw down by catcher??)

Pitcher must be ready to go once the batter is ready in the box.

jpx7
02-21-2018, 10:30 PM
Hey, they could just widen the strike zone by one foot to either side and lengthen from the top of the dirt to the bill of the cap. That should speed things up nicely.....:roll:

Just make the whole game sudden-death.

50PoundHead
02-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Just make the whole game sudden-death.

The late Gene Mauch would love it. His penchant for first-inning sacrificing bunting would become the uber-strategy!

I think the nibbling around the edges is a bit ridiculous with the approach to warm-up pitches, etc., but limiting mound visits should help a lot. I haven't kept up with this and does the mound visit limit include visits where there is a change in pitchers or just the times the pitching coach goes to the mound to discuss strategy, check how the pitcher feels, etc. The innocuous visits to the mound really do p*ss me off. Professional baseball players have been playing since they were 5 or 6 in most cases and if they haven't been taught through the years of how to handle each situation in a baseball game, they really must have not been listening to their coaches or have had really lousy coaching. Make every player read Fred Stanley's The Complete Instructional Baseball Manual.

bravesfanMatt
02-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Coaching visits are only going to be replaced with catcher visits or SS visits or 1B visits. Plus have they even spelled out penalties. They basically said don’t do this or you will be in trouble. I hope a manager visits the mound once every inning just to piss dumbfred off. What a freaking idiot this commissioner is.

salmagundy
02-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Coaching visits are only going to be replaced with catcher visits or SS visits or 1B visits. Plus have they even spelled out penalties. They basically said don’t do this or you will be in trouble. I hope a manager visits the mound once every inning just to piss dumbfred off. What a freaking idiot this commissioner is.

Anyone going to talk to the pitcher, coach, manager, catcher or SS, is considered a visit. 6 per game. Visits to replace a pitcher do not counted as one of 6 visits.

thewupk
02-22-2018, 09:43 AM

It really is dumb. I agree with some things like shorter breaks between innings and the absurdity that can happen when a batter steps in and out and the pitcher goes through a million signs. But limiting pitching visits per game? come on.

Managuarantano's Volunteers
02-22-2018, 11:03 AM
It really is dumb. I agree with some things like shorter breaks between innings and the absurdity that can happen when a batter steps in and out and the pitcher goes through a million signs. But limiting pitching visits per game? come on.
Do we have a projection for how much time limiting mound visits will cut off per game? I would imagine it’s very insignificant.

The breaks between innings thing should cut off a decent amount of time though

50PoundHead
02-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Do we have a projection for how much time limiting mound visits will cut off per game? I would imagine it’s very insignificant.

The breaks between innings thing should cut off a decent amount of time though

I think the mound visit limit will cut time, but it depends on what one thinks is significant. I just get tired of all the mound conferences that are used to buy time for the bullpen and the interminable discussions to go over strategic implications that anyone who has ever played high school baseball can figure out on their own.

4maddux_cy's
02-22-2018, 01:10 PM
In addition to the announced limited number of visits to the mound, there is a new wrinkle. This added "time shortening" wrinkle has not been talked about much by media pukes.

2:05 breaks between innings, with details on milestone within that time period shown here.

Pitchers are no longer guaranteed the current 8 warm-up pitches.

Pitcher will be advised when his last warm-up pitch is happening (25 seconds remaining between innings).

Batter must approach the box as the last warm-up pitch is thrown. (Does this mean no throw down by catcher??)

Pitcher must be ready to go once the batter is ready in the box.

I was listening to Inside Pitch on MLB Radio the other day and they had a reliever on talking about how he didn't think the 2:05 time was enough for when a guy has to come from the bullpen to warm up between innings. I am not sure I like this restriction. Also, they said that umpires are being given discretion to allow more than 6 visits if needed if there appears to be a cross-up between catcher and pitcher and other things. Basically giving umps the ability to not enforce the rule.

clvclv
02-22-2018, 01:41 PM
I was listening to Inside Pitch on MLB Radio the other day and they had a reliever on talking about how he didn't think the 2:05 time was enough for when a guy has to come from the bullpen to warm up between innings. I am not sure I like this restriction. Also, they said that umpires are being given discretion to allow more than 6 visits if needed if there appears to be a cross-up between catcher and pitcher and other things. Basically giving umps the ability to not enforce the rule.

How dare you listen to XM - don't you know the blackjack dealer says people shouldn't do that?!?!?

Managuarantano's Volunteers
02-22-2018, 05:12 PM
I think the mound visit limit will cut time, but it depends on what one thinks is significant. I just get tired of all the mound conferences that are used to buy time for the bullpen and the interminable discussions to go over strategic implications that anyone who has ever played high school baseball can figure out on their own.

I think having six of those mound conferences in a game is rare, but I have no proof of that. I agree that it’s annoying when they do that too.

57Brave
02-24-2018, 08:45 PM
If football players taught their whole live to lead with their heads can adjust,
I think Joe Maddon and rest of today's brainiac managers can figure this one out

I get tired of professional sports people trying to make the games into rocket science.
You get 6 visits, make them meaningful .

How's about cutting out the 7th inning stretch that since 9/11 has turned into an inning unto itself
and yes, 2 minutes between innings is plenty.
Good high school coaches teach their catchers 30 second rules

Don Sutton offers the opinion that 8 warm up pitches are unnecessary and should be added to pitch count considration.

Baseball played in 70-90F temperatures, the players arms are always warm and loose.
Just an excuse for more commercials

jpx7
02-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Real #hottake territory here, but I think people (myself included) just need longer and better attention-spans.

I liken this to complaining about films that run longer than the supposedly-magical one-hundred-minute mark. If a film is good and sustains itself, why shouldn’t it run 2.5-3 hours (or even longer, for that matter). If you can’t sit through a good film, or a competitive game, for three hours, maybe—just maybe—you don’t really like film, or baseball, all that much.

Now go ahead and kindly remove yourselves from my lawn.