PDA

View Full Version : Updates on players physical

salmagundy
01-27-2018, 09:52 PM
condition entering ST

Freddie had lazik surgery during the off season.

Camargo has beefed up as noticed by both AA and Snitckers

Questions about Kazmir' contributing to team won't be answered until ST.

Snitckers said Julio and Folty have locks in rotation unless physical problems appear.

msstate7
01-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Don’t think folty has earned lock status

thewupk
01-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Don’t think folty has earned lock status

He's a league average starter. I'd argue that's good enough for lock status.

msstate7
01-27-2018, 10:22 PM
He's a league average starter. I'd argue that's good enough for lock status.

We have Newcomb and gohara who have just as good stuff. Kazmir and McCarthy are certainly capable of starting for us if healthy. Teheran is a lock. Without squinting too hard, I can see a rotation of Teheran, McCarthy, kazmir/fried, gohara, and Newcomb.

CyYoung31
01-27-2018, 10:32 PM
I came in expecting a BSOML thread.

I leave disappointed.

bravesfanMatt
01-27-2018, 10:38 PM
We have Newcomb and gohara who have just as good stuff. Kazmir and McCarthy are certainly capable of starting for us if healthy. Teheran is a lock. Without squinting too hard, I can see a rotation of Teheran, McCarthy, kazmir/fried, gohara, and Newcomb.

Gohard is what 20/21. Let him start in AAA. Newk and Folty need to show us they are ready. Fried and Sims can be fill in to control the fragile arms of McCarthy and Kazz.

CrimeDog247
01-27-2018, 10:44 PM

Folty will be in rotation.

msstate7
01-27-2018, 10:46 PM
Folty will be in rotation.

I hope he is. I hope he finally puts it all together. I just don’t like telling him publically he is. I would rather him earn that spot

thewupk
01-27-2018, 11:29 PM

Fried/Kazmir should not be in the rotation to start the season.

thewupk
01-27-2018, 11:31 PM
Gohard is what 20/21. Let him start in AAA. Newk and Folty need to show us they are ready. Fried and Sims can be fill in to control the fragile arms of McCarthy and Kazz.

Now that we have a GM who understands service time we won't be seeing anymore of the dumb **** like we saw with Swanson. Keeping Goahard down to start in AAA is a smart move in a year in which we are punting.

thethe
01-28-2018, 06:24 AM
So if gohara is in the majors to start the year AA isn't a smart GM?

thethe
01-28-2018, 06:30 AM
Curious to see if camargo continues to develop his power tool while also maintaining his defensive ability. I feel all this third base talk is to send a message to Johan so that he knows he still has to earn the job. I fully expect him to get the first 300 PA at third base this year and then afterwards the braves make a decision.

Let's go get a left fielder on the cheap...maybe gomez on a short deal and then see if we are in the hunt come late July.

bravesfanMatt
01-28-2018, 09:21 AM

No. If Gohard kills spring and his pitches look ready or a few guys go down and he has to fill in. But if he doesn’t have to start then having him in AAA to refine pitches is fine. Service time isn’t as big a deal for me yet. He would have to stay down until close to June I would imagine to get that year back. Math in all.

That said Swanson situation was a dumbass move. Lost a year. Maybe won some games we shouldn’t have which cost us Senzel. Just a dumb move that AA will have to clean up hopefully.

Chico
01-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Fried/Kazmir should not be in the rotation to start the season.

I hope like heck Kazmir is in the opening day rotation. If he’s healthy he should be and we need for him to be healthy to recoup some of the investment

thewupk
01-28-2018, 06:54 PM

No. If Gohara still had zero service time and started the year in the rotation I would have some concerns about that. At this point he already has a month and would need to be kept down like two months to regain a year of eligibility. I'm not sure if that is really necessary at this point if he pitches well. But if they did it wouldn't be the worst thing that.

thewupk
01-28-2018, 06:56 PM
I hope like heck Kazmir is in the opening day rotation. If he’s healthy he should be and we need for him to be healthy to recoup some of the investment

Kazmir could surprise I guess but he's probably done.

Tapate50
01-28-2018, 08:08 PM
I came in expecting a BSOML thread.

I leave disappointed.

CYs just here for the beefcake.

Southcack77
01-28-2018, 09:00 PM
If Kazmir is healthy and pitching well, I have no problem with him opening in the rotation and one of the young pitchers come out of the pen or work on things in AAA. It's not like any of the young guys don't have things to work on.

salmagundy
01-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Freddie says wrist is stronger than ever. Has already started taking BP.

From MLBTR

Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman feels great about the strength of his left wrist; strength he believes he lacked at the end of last season. Mark Bowman of MLB.com wrote a detailed article that includes plenty of confident words from Freeman, who told reporters he began hitting earlier than he usually does, and even took batting practice in 25-degree whether just to see if he experienced any pain. “I have had zero problems.” Freeman said. “Everything feels great and everything feels strong.” Though he doesn’t regret coming back early after being hit by a pitch in May, Freeman experienced some frustration when his wrist fatigued during August and September. Notably, the two-time All-Star also had Lasik surgery to help alleviate some eye irritation issues he experienced while wearing contact lenses. Freeman also expressed his excitement to see top prospect Ronald Acuna arrive at the MLB level.

Russ2dollas
01-29-2018, 12:42 PM

I think Gohard decision will be about what they think is best for his body.

They might think it's better to keep him in the MLB with more money and more eyes on him. Send him to AAA with 15 bucks a day for meals and he might be all McDonald's.

thewupk
01-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Freddie says wrist is stronger than ever. Has already started taking BP.

From MLBTR

Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman feels great about the strength of his left wrist; strength he believes he lacked at the end of last season. Mark Bowman of MLB.com wrote a detailed article that includes plenty of confident words from Freeman, who told reporters he began hitting earlier than he usually does, and even took batting practice in 25-degree whether just to see if he experienced any pain. “I have had zero problems.” Freeman said. “Everything feels great and everything feels strong.” Though he doesn’t regret coming back early after being hit by a pitch in May, Freeman experienced some frustration when his wrist fatigued during August and September. Notably, the two-time All-Star also had Lasik surgery to help alleviate some eye irritation issues he experienced while wearing contact lenses. Freeman also expressed his excitement to see top prospect Ronald Acuna arrive at the MLB level.

BWOML - Best Wrist Of My Life

msstate7
01-29-2018, 01:02 PM
BWOML - Best Wrist Of My Life

And the eye problem is solved #eastchamps

Enscheff
01-29-2018, 01:05 PM
I think Gohard decision will be about what they think is best for his body.

They might think it's better to keep him in the MLB with more money and more eyes on him. Send him to AAA with 15 bucks a day for meals and he might be all McDonald's.

This is a pretty good point I hadn't really considered.

I typically don't worry about a pitcher's service clock because they are so likely to get injured or flame out before they reach FA that it doesn't make much sense to worry about gaining the extra year of control. Gohara is so young, and so many other arms (Fried, Newk, Sims) nearing their mid-20s need to be given 10-15 starts at the MLB level now, that I was all for letting Gohara work on his change (a clear area of potential improvement) in AAA.

However, if it's determined that the MLB lifestyle might actually improve Gohara's physical conditioning (his other clear area of potential improvement), that could trump anything Fried or Sims could prove in 10+ starts.

At the end of ST I think it will be all but impossible for the Braves not to have Gohara in the rotation though. He is simply so much better than everyone else it won't be a debate.