PDA

View Full Version : Whit Merrifield

BeanieAntics
01-29-2018, 11:20 AM
I wonder why we haven't heard any rumblings regarding him? He is coming off a 4 bWAR season and he is a versatile player on a team in desperate need of a rebuild. The reason I ask is that I was unaware of just how good a season he had last year. Hell he was 1 homer away from a 20/20 season. He also plays very good defense. I understand he is already 28 and probably would cost a decent amount in trade, but if we are truly looking to solve third base he looks like he could be a very solid option. He can also play either outfield corner so it could open up a lot of intriguing options if we were able to move Markakis. There may be an obvious reason why we haven't heard any rumblings and I'm just being a dummy, but he seems like a player that would fit like a glove for us.

mqt
01-29-2018, 11:33 AM
I wonder why we haven't heard any rumblings regarding him? He is coming off a 4 bWAR season and he is a versatile player on a team in desperate need of a rebuild. The reason I ask is that I was unaware of just how good a season he had last year. Hell he was 1 homer away from a 20/20 season. He also plays very good defense. I understand he is already 28 and probably would cost a decent amount in trade, but if we are truly looking to solve third base he looks like he could be a very solid option. He can also play either outfield corner so it could open up a lot of intriguing options if we were able to move Markakis. There may be an obvious reason why we haven't heard any rumblings and I'm just being a dummy, but he seems like a player that would fit like a glove for us.

I know that players like Jose Bautista pop up from time to time, but a 29-year-old that didn't significantly alter his batted ball profile from a lengthy minor league career in which he had no power hitting 19 HRs seems like a fluke.

Southcack77
01-29-2018, 01:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGGkJxkeHBg

This guy?

Enscheff
01-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Merrifield is a perfect example of the kind of hitter the new ball benefits. He hits the ball at a below average exit velocity, but is able to loft enough fly balls into LF to hit 15+ HRs.

I have no idea if MLB will go back to a less lively baseball, but Whit isn't a guy I would count on to continue being a .750-.800 OPS bat. I also have no idea if he can play 3B or not, and I would like to see the Braves aim higher when they fill LF for 2019+.

clvclv
01-29-2018, 08:56 PM

Because the blackjack dealer decided he wasn't worth talking about. Not going to waste my time digging for it, but I mentioned him a month or two ago. Can guarantee he can link you right to it.