PDA

View Full Version : 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CJ9
02-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Figured this was a good time to start this thread as college baseball season starts on Friday. As a reminder, we don’t have a third-round pick this year because of the offseason scandal. We pick eighth overall in the first round. Our second round pick is currently 48th, but that will almost certainly change as more free agents sign.

Fangraphs released their 2018 (and 2019 + 2020) draft rankings today. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

CJ9
02-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Most recent draft rankings from MLB Pipeline (top 50): http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

And Baseball America (top 200): https://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2018-top-200-mlb-draft-prospects/#OLcCtBr6B0wvX9bf.97

nsacpi
02-12-2018, 09:29 AM
It is still early days and the rankings will change quite a bit, but the two guys that hold a lot of interest to me are Madrigal and Turang. I like position players with multiple possible paths to success. Guys with the hit tool and the potential to play a premium defensive position. Madrigal might be a Black Swan type player. A guy who might not check all the boxes physically but has exceptional talent. Think Lincecum--a position player version of Lincecum.

Super
02-12-2018, 09:58 AM
jenista, plz.

BeanieAntics
02-12-2018, 11:33 AM
My boy Matt Wallner in 2019! Dude is going to be a monster. I would love for the Braves to figure out a way to pick him up

Enscheff
02-12-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm hoping a college hitter like Conine or Eierman goes nuts and becomes an option at #8.

Otherwise I fully expect the Braves to take the best HS arm available because that seems to be where this draft is stacked at the top.

BeanieAntics
02-12-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm hoping a college hitter like Conine or Eierman goes nuts and becomes an option at #8.

Otherwise I fully expect the Braves to take the best HS arm available because that seems to be where this draft is stacked at the top.

I live right beside the baseball park at Southern Miss, and I'm telling you that Wallner is going to be a 1-1 candidate in 2019. He is the most talented baseball player I have ever personally seen at any amateur level. It still blows my mind that he wasn't recruited any harder than he was and wasn't drafted high out of high school. He is from Minnesota, so not exactly a baseball hotbed, but you would think that the scouts would find a talent like him.

Hudson2
02-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Sedas looks pretty legit. This draft is loaded so at #8 we will get a very good player there.

Enscheff
02-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Sedas looks pretty legit. This draft is loaded so at #8 we will get a very good player there.

The difference in talent/value among the Top 10ish picks seems to be pretty small.

FG says this draft is "generally seen as deep and strong, particularly in prep pitching. There isn’t a player yet on whom we’d currently put a 55 FV".

For reference, they hung a 55+ on 5 guys last year (Wright, Greene, Gore, McKay, Lewis), and the Braves were fortunate enough to have arguably the best one fall to them at pick #5.

If the Braves are choosing between 2-3 FV 50 guys at #8, I hope they take the college bat, and I hope it's a power college bat.

Hudson2
02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
The difference in talent/value among the Top 10ish picks seems to be pretty small.

FG says this draft is "generally seen as deep and strong, particularly in prep pitching. There isn’t a player yet on whom we’d currently put a 55 FV".

For reference, they hung a 55+ on 5 guys last year (Wright, Greene, Gore, McKay, Lewis), and the Braves were fortunate enough to have arguably the best one fall to them at pick #5.

If the Braves are choosing between 2-3 FV 50 guys at #8, I hope they take the college bat, and I hope it's a power college bat.

I’d agree with that. We have taken so much pitching I’d love to get a fast rising bat for either 3b or the OF. Maybe with AA in charge now things will shift a little bit towards offense. I’d still take BPA but if a pitcher or a bat are equally ranked then it’s a bat all day for me.

thewupk
02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

As the Braves move into their contention window a power college bat that can get to the majors quickly would be ideal. I suspect we get another arm though.

nsacpi
02-12-2018, 02:32 PM

We should be able to. The top talent seems a bit more skewed toward pitching. We will need a little luck to have the right position prospect drop to us. That's what I'm hoping for. But if it doesn't happen we should be able to get a very good pitching prospect.

Southcack77
02-12-2018, 02:42 PM
I would imagine that a high school SS is another pretty good bet given what the Braves lost in the penalties.

DirkPiggler
02-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Eiermann would be my top choice. Got to see him in person last year. He looks legit.

Enscheff
02-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Eiermann would be my top choice. Got to see him in person last year. He looks legit.

I only know what I read about him, but he seems like one of those prototypical power bats that can't quite stick at SS so are good defensively at 3B.

It's obviously way too early to have favorites for this draft, but he looks to be the exact type of player I hope the Braves draft. Whether or not he is actually that good 6 months from now is a completely different story though.

DirkPiggler
02-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Those were exactly my thoughts when I saw Eiermann play. He was decent as a college SS, but he looks like a future 3B, especially as he gets bigger.

Burger was supposed to be the best player on that SMS team, but I’d take Eiermann over him all day long.

JxnMissFan
02-12-2018, 08:30 PM
I live right beside the baseball park at Southern Miss, and I'm telling you that Wallner is going to be a 1-1 candidate in 2019. He is the most talented baseball player I have ever personally seen at any amateur level. It still blows my mind that he wasn't recruited any harder than he was and wasn't drafted high out of high school. He is from Minnesota, so not exactly a baseball hotbed, but you would think that the scouts would find a talent like him.

How many fans from Mississippi frequent this site? There seems to be a lot. I’m from Brandon. SMTTT

CJ9
02-17-2018, 04:59 PM
Anthopoulos, Bobby Cox and Tim
Hudson are in Gainesville today to watch Jackson Kowar. Not sure if they were there for Brady Singer last night.

MadduxFanII
02-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Kowar's a guy who hasn't really lived up to his hype and stuff - had a scary medical problem his freshman year, and was surprisingly hittable his sophomore year. Could definitely bump his stock sky high with a good junior season, and in that situation he could conceivably be available to us at eight and be a decent pick there.

Singer probably won't be there at eight, though you never know - Faedo was a popular 1-1 pick this time last year and ended up falling to the back half of the first round.

Enscheff
02-23-2018, 05:36 PM
I take back everything bad I ever said about Kiley. This is perhaps the best prep scouting info I have ever read:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/draft-notes-in-person-scouting-scuttlebutt-galore/

clvclv
02-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Griffin Conine is 6/18 with a HR, 2 2Bs, 5 RBI, and 5 BBs in the early going including a strong opening series against Vandy.

Nick Madrigal hurt his wrist on a slide at the plate last night - no word on how seriously but he's already been ruled out for the rest of the weekend.

Oklahomabrave
02-24-2018, 09:20 AM
I take back everything bad I ever said about Kiley. This is perhaps the best prep scouting info I have ever read:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/draft-notes-in-person-scouting-scuttlebutt-galore/
I was a bit surprised by your disdain for his return. I generally think Eric is a little better, but Kiley was always excellent and a asset to FG.

Super
02-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Griffin Conine is 6/18 with a HR, 2 2Bs, 5 RBI, and 5 BBs in the early going including a strong opening series against Vandy.

Nick Madrigal hurt his wrist on a slide at the plate last night - no word on how seriously but he's already been ruled out for the rest of the weekend.

what are the best ways to watch college ball?

Enscheff
02-24-2018, 11:37 AM
I was a bit surprised by your disdain for his return. I generally think Eric is a little better, but Kiley was always excellent and a asset to FG.

I think I allowed my resentment of the Coppy/Hart FO to unfairly color my opinion of him.

He may be a bit pozzy Brave (to be expected for a while), he may be a bit of a tool, and he may not produce much content, but he seems pretty competent overall.

clvclv
02-24-2018, 12:23 PM

I usually keep tabs on BA, watch games on the Fox regional packages, and track any players I'm interested in through boxscores on their teams' websites.

4maddux_cy's
02-24-2018, 12:44 PM
How many fans from Mississippi frequent this site? There seems to be a lot. I’m from Brandon. SMTTT

I just moved to Oxford in December from the pacific northwest.

nsacpi
02-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Would love it if Madrigal dropped to us.

4maddux_cy's
02-24-2018, 01:21 PM

WATCHESPN app has a lot of college games to stream.

nsacpi
03-04-2018, 05:44 PM
BA put out a new Top 10 on March 1.

1. RHP Brady Singer | R-R | 6-5 | 180 | Florida | Blue Jays ’15 (2)

2. LHP Shane McClanahan | L-L | 6-1 | 173 | South Florida | Mets ’15 (26)

3. LHP Matthew Liberatore | L-L | 6-5 | 200 | Mountain Ridge HS, Riverdale, Ariz. | Arizona

4. RHP Ethan Hankins | R-R | 6-6 | 215 | Forsyth Central HS, Cumming, Ga. | Vanderbilt

5. SS Brice Turang | L-R | 6-1 | 165 | Santiago HS, Corona, Calif. | Louisiana State

6. 3B Nolan Gorman | L-R | 6-1 | 210 | Sandra Day O’Connor HS, Phoenix | Arizona

7. LHP Ryan Rolison | R-L | 6-2 | 195 | Mississippi | Padres ’16 (37)

8. RHP Casey Mize | R-R | 6-3 | 208 | Auburn | Never Drafted

9. SS/2B Nick Madrigal | R-R | 5-7 | 160 | Oregon State | Indians ’15 (17)

10. OF Travis Swaggerty | L-L | 5-11 | 180 | South Alabama | Never Drafted

It's a pitcher heavy group. I'm hoping Turang or Madrigal is available when we pick (at #8). If neither is there I'd go with a pitcher. Madrigal broke his wrist (hairline fracture) last week and will be out for a month. Hoping he is there when we pick.

msstate7
03-04-2018, 05:45 PM

3. LHP Matthew Liberatore | L-L | 6-5 | 200 | Mountain Ridge HS, Riverdale, Ariz. | Arizona

4. RHP Ethan Hankins | R-R | 6-6 | 215 | Forsyth Central HS, Cumming, Ga. | Vanderbilt

5. SS Brice Turang | L-R | 6-1 | 165 | Santiago HS, Corona, Calif. | Louisiana State

6. 3B Nolan Gorman | L-R | 6-1 | 210 | Sandra Day O’Connor HS, Phoenix | Arizona

It's a pitcher heavy group. I'm hoping Turang or Madrigal is available when we pick (at #8). If neither is there I'd go with a pitcher.

No beer? Thought he was the GOAT?

nsacpi
03-04-2018, 05:50 PM
No beer? Thought he was the GOAT?

GOAT in the beer league maybe.

msstate7
03-04-2018, 06:03 PM
GOAT in the beer league maybe.

I remember everyone (probably not everyone) wanting us to tank to draft the generational talent, beer at #1

BeanieAntics
03-04-2018, 06:06 PM

It's a pitcher heavy group. I'm hoping Turang or Madrigal is available when we pick (at #8). If neither is there I'd go with a pitcher. Madrigal broke his wrist (hairline fracture) last week and will be out for a month. Hoping he is there when we pick.

One of the pitchers that I really like is Kumar Rocker. His is absolutely massive and has really good stuff and is from Georgia. He seems like a Braves type of guy, but it may just not line up right for us to pick him.

Hudson2
03-04-2018, 06:24 PM
I’m really hoping for a position player to with Turang as my first choice and then Madrigal. I have a feeling we’ll go pitcher though

CJ9
03-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Swaggerty is the guy I’m keeping an eye on. Seems like he’s climbing boards so far this season and fits us well as a college OF who can hit.

Enscheff
03-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Things just don’t seem to shake out so the Braves are in line to pick an impact corner bat.

I’m guessing they get another college pitcher with their first pick.

msstate7
03-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Things just don’t seem to shake out so the Braves are in line to pick an impact corner bat.

Thought AA was big on HS pitchers. Could be dreaming, but thought that was his preference

Tapate50
03-04-2018, 07:36 PM

Conine cooling off?

Horsehide Harry
03-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Conine cooling off?

Madrigal isn't someone you take that early in the draft. Sure, there are examples of small guys playing up. But it's long odds.

I like Gorman, Turang, Kelenic, Eierman right now or Hankins (if he drops) right now.

nsacpi
03-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Madrigal isn't someone you take that early in the draft. Sure, there are examples of small guys playing up. But it's long odds.

I like Gorman, Turang, Kelenic, Eierman right now or Hankins (if he drops) right now.

I like guys with multiple paths to success. Guys with the hit tool AND the ability to play a premium defensive position. So Turang and Madrigal are the guys I'm hoping we take. I like them more than someone like Gorman or Conine.

clvclv
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
I like guys with multiple paths to success. Guys with the hit tool AND the ability to play a premium defensive position. So Turang and Madrigal are the guys I'm hoping we take. I like them more than someone like Gorman or Conine.

Just me, but I lean a little more towards Gorman and Conine as guys who have the power (we so desperately need) and can move fast personally. If Riley's defense doesn't cut the mustard, there's a chance he could move to LF and Gorman could replace him as your "comer" at 3B. Conine reminds me a little of Markakis in the sense that he could probably have enough pop to profile on a corner early on even if he eventually just turns into a "hitter".

The organization has always had so much success finding solid up-the-middle guys (even though they might not have turned into All-Stars) that weren't highly-rated originally and has developed so few corner guys with legitimate pop that it'd be tough for me to pass one up if your scouts were convinced he'd be able to stick somewhere defensively and not turn into a "tweener" (Matt Adams/Beer/etc. that you don't think can play anywhere other than 1B without hurting you). Those fortunes obviously could change at any time though, and if AA brings in more guys that can help with launch angles and such, I can see drafting the best defenders as well if you're confident you can help them add pop.

nsacpi
03-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Just me, but I lean a little more towards Gorman and Conine as guys who have the power (we so desperately need) and can move fast personally. If Riley's defense doesn't cut the mustard, there's a chance he could move to LF and Gorman could replace him as your "comer" at 3B. Conine reminds me a little of Markakis in the sense that he could probably have enough pop to profile on a corner early on even if he eventually just turns into a "hitter".

The organization has always had so much success finding solid up-the-middle guys (even though they might not have turned into All-Stars) that weren't highly-rated originally and has developed so few corner guys with legitimate pop that it'd be tough for me to pass one up if your scouts were convinced he'd be able to stick somewhere defensively and not turn into a "tweener" (Matt Adams/Beer/etc. that you don't think can play anywhere other than 1B without hurting you). Those fortunes obviously could change at any time though, and if AA brings in more guys that can help with launch angles and such, I can see drafting the best defenders as well if you're confident you can help them add pop.

Assessing the power tool, especially for high school players, is a very tricky and risky thing. For hitters, it is one of the most difficult things to project. The hit tool and defensive talent are much more reliable in terms of translating from an 18-year old to the major league level. If you have someone like Turang or Madrigal with both a high ceiling and a high floor, you need to draft them.

High school players with good power tools but limited upside in other areas are a better bet in rounds 2 and 3.

Horsehide Harry
03-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Assessing the power tool, especially for high school players, is a very tricky and risky thing. For hitters, it is one of the most difficult things to project. The hit tool and defensive talent are much more reliable in terms of translating from an 18-year old to the major league level. If you have someone like Turang or Madrigal with both a high ceiling and a high floor, you need to draft them.

High school players with good power tools but limited upside in other areas are a better bet in rounds 2 and 3.

Madrigal is a guy who turns 21 in 10 days and is listed at 5'7", 160 which probably means he's 5'6" and 160.

Albies is listed as 5'9" 160 so he's likely at least 2" taller.

Altuve is a 5'6" guy.

So short CAN be done. But the odds are against it.

I see Madrigal as more likely a high floor, low ceiling pick.

Turang I could get behind because he might be a player at ss or eventually third if his power develops. He's also relatively young not turning 19 until after the 2018 season.

I like Gorman because he's showing big power already with a 50 hit grade and he won't turn 18 until May 10. The draw back is if he can't stick at 3rd then he's at 1B. But considering his projected timeline to the Majors and FF contract that might not be a bad thing.

PS: I like Hankins most of all as a potential TOR starter.

nsacpi
03-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Madrigal is a guy who turns 21 in 10 days and is listed at 5'7", 160 which probably means he's 5'6" and 160.

Altuve is a 5'6" guy.

Turang I could get behind because he might be a player at ss or eventually third if his power develops. He's also relatively young not turning 19 until after the 2018 season.

I like Gorman because he's showing big power already with a 50 hit grade and he won't turn 18 until May 10. The draw back is if he can't stick at 3rd then he's at 1B. But considering his projected timeline to the Majors and FF contract that might not be a bad thing.

in general there are physical characteristics that favor success...but there are also black swan type players where talent trumps those characteristics...it happens more often than you think...altuve, lincecum, Pedro Martinez, Kirby Puckett, Tony Gwynn, etc etc

I rate Turang at the top of this year's draft...imo Madrigal is the next best position prospect...i dont think Turang will drop to #8...Madrigal might

btw both Albies and Altuve are shorter than the height you listed...Altuve is more like 5'4

clvclv
03-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Not just for the high school kids - I agree - but Gorman's a bit different here. He's been given at least a 60 grade power-wise pretty much across the board (with several scouts giving him a 70), there haven't been any concerns about his hit tool that I've read (quick hands and bat speed as well), and most reports have him as a good athlete even if he's not a GG winner.

I'm not "spitting" on Turang or Madrigal by any means, I'd just prefer a bat with a higher ceiling personally. That said, I think there's more of a chance that any of the four is taken over Rocker than there would have been previously - I don't see the Georgia connections carrying quite as much weight with AA as they have previously. Really tough to get much of a take about any of them just yet though IMO.

Enscheff
03-05-2018, 12:40 PM
It would take a small miracle for Gorman to fall to the Braves at 8.

We should talk about guys who will realistically be available.

SJ24
03-05-2018, 12:57 PM
I like Kumar Rocker. I hope he goes nuts this year, but not too nuts. By all accounts a good student and good kid. 6'5, 250 lbs of muscle. Topped out at 98 mph with some scouts thinking more velocity could come.

While I understand high school pitchers are the riskiest of all potential draftees, the plus athleticism at his size is very rare in baseball.

He's also a Georgia boy and is African-American, which the Braves should be mindful of. The organization and baseball itself would be best served by appealing more to African-Americans.

I would take him at 8. If you get him for under slot since he's projected to go mid-1st, then great.

Enscheff
03-05-2018, 01:00 PM
I like Kumar Rocker. I hope he goes nuts this year, but not too nuts. By all accounts a good student and good kid. 6'5, 250 lbs of muscle. Topped out at 98 mph with some scouts thinking more velocity could come.

While I understand high school pitchers are the riskiest of all potential draftees, the plus athleticism at his size is very rare in baseball.

He's also a Georgia boy and is African-American, which the Braves should be mindful of. The organization and baseball itself would be best served by appealing more to African-Americans.

I would take him at 8. If you get him for under slot since he's projected to go mid-1st, then great.

Hey, you "know athletes", so if you like Rocker...I like Rocker.

nsacpi
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM
I'm fine with taking a pitcher if Turang and Madrigal are gone...at this point I am not sold on Gorman

smootness
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM

He probably won't be there, but it's just now March, and he's a high schooler. He's projected around 5-6 right now, so it's absolutely within the realm of possibility for him to ultimately be there at 8.

But I'd be totally fine with Madrigal. I don't think it's necessary to go full upside there at 8, and I don't care that much about position. You worry about position when he's ready for the majors and you have to make a decision. But a guy who can hit .280-.300 with average defense and elite speed? I'll take that. He won't walk much, but he'll hardly K at all, and those guys can be really valuable.

Jaw
03-05-2018, 02:02 PM

What if we offer to him buy him a car?

Enscheff
03-05-2018, 02:11 PM
He probably won't be there, but it's just now March, and he's a high schooler. He's projected around 5-6 right now, so it's absolutely within the realm of possibility for him to ultimately be there at 8.

But I'd be totally fine with Madrigal. I don't think it's necessary to go full upside there at 8, and I don't care that much about position. You worry about position when he's ready for the majors and you have to make a decision. But a guy who can hit .280-.300 with average defense and elite speed? I'll take that. He won't walk much, but he'll hardly K at all, and those guys can be really valuable.

Agreed. I should probably hold off from making any declarations on draft prospects for at least a couple months.

All I will say for now is my preference is an impact college hitter like what folks hope Eierman is. Whether or not one emerges as a candidate at #8 is still up in the air.

50PoundHead
03-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Hoping this Rocker would not be off his rocker.

Tapate50
03-05-2018, 02:15 PM
What if we offer to him buy him a car?

Or sign his buddy In round 5 and he gets half his bonus too

nsacpi
03-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Agreed. I should probably hold off from making any declarations on draft prospects for at least a couple months.

Yeah. As I said I'm not sold on Gorman yet. Could change. But as a general proposition I believe the bar for persuasion has to be higher for players with his set of attributes than for guys like Turang.

clvclv
03-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Mize and Bohm drawing attention...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-draft-tracker-casey-mize-making-his-case/

Another fast-moving college arm to pair with Wright wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...could be looking at a 2020 rotation of Gohara, Wright, Soroka, Newcomb, and Mize while using the rest as trade bait.

bravesfanMatt
03-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Mize has been dominate this year.

CJ9
03-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Only way Mize falls to us is if he gets hurt, and durability has been a question for him so that's not out of the question. But I'd be stunned if he gets to us. Jeff Passan was talking the other day about him getting a lot of attention at 1-1, especially with the Tigers' history with college arms.

smootness
03-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Bohm would be perfect if his defense is at least average at 3B.

zbhargrove
03-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Altuve is a 5'6" guy.

You know who also already had shown big power in HS? Braxton Davidson

nsacpi
03-15-2018, 04:02 PM
You know who also already had shown big power in HS? Braxton Davidson

he is an example of what I was talking about...the power tool is one of the hardest to project...the rational response is to apply a discount to prospects whose value is largely tied to power

MadduxFanII
03-15-2018, 04:12 PM
I guess I’ll open myself up to ridicule: I still think Beer should be an option for us at 8, if the organization evaluates him as a potentially top-notch hitter.

clvclv
03-17-2018, 02:04 PM
Casey Mize blows away #10 Texas A & M with 13 Ks/0 BBs on 5 hits. Shane McClanahan Ks 15 and walks 3 for USF in a combined no-no against Army. Several other "Aces" strong last night as well.

clvclv
03-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Callis' most recent list has Hankins slipping out of the Top 5...would certainly make things interesting if he's there at #8...

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-draft-early-predictions/c-268754686?tid=151437456

Hudson2
03-17-2018, 10:00 PM
We have a very good chance and getting what would normally be a top 5 pick bc the draft is so deep.

clvclv
03-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Arkansas stomped on Brady Singer last night.

Casey Mize with 12 Ks against Kentucky - now 5-0 with 63 Ks and 3 BBs in 39.2 IP.

msstate7
03-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Arkansas stomped on Brady Singer last night.

Casey Mize with 12 Ks against Kentucky - now 5-0 with 63 Ks and 3 BBs in 39.2 IP.

Where do Konnor Pilkington and Trevor knight rank on sec pitchers being drafted this season?

50PoundHead
03-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Where do Konnor Pilkington and Trevor knight rank on sec pitchers being drafted this season?

I think Konnor Pilkington ranks #1 on the all-name team.

ball4life32
03-29-2018, 08:30 PM
8. ATLANTA BRAVES

ELLIS - Nolan Gorman, 3B, Sandra Day O'Connor HS (AZ): Under Alex Anthopoulos the Blue Jays often went with prep talent and the top prep talent on most boards would be Gorman. There have been conflicting reports on his defense and future position, but no conflict on his bat. Gorman is the top prep talent on most boards by this point in the draft.

WARD - Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA): Last summer, the Braves were set to select Royce Lewis before a deal was cut and landed him as the top pick in the draft. This year, another prep shortstop from Southern California is among the top 10 amateurs available, and could be picked apart enough to land just outside the top five. Even with a picked apart scouting report after being on the radar for a lengthy time, Turang brings an advanced approach, speed, defense and a steadily improving bat with him. Keeping with Anthopoulos trends of taking the best upside player available, and the Southern California scouts who have had a large say in recent Braves' drafts, Turang could be the Lewis they didn't have.

https://247sports.com/Article/WARDELLIS-Duo-Mock-Draft-March-116780935

Hudson2
03-29-2018, 09:47 PM
8. ATLANTA BRAVES

ELLIS - Nolan Gorman, 3B, Sandra Day O'Connor HS (AZ): Under Alex Anthopoulos the Blue Jays often went with prep talent and the top prep talent on most boards would be Gorman. There have been conflicting reports on his defense and future position, but no conflict on his bat. Gorman is the top prep talent on most boards by this point in the draft.

WARD - Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA): Last summer, the Braves were set to select Royce Lewis before a deal was cut and landed him as the top pick in the draft. This year, another prep shortstop from Southern California is among the top 10 amateurs available, and could be picked apart enough to land just outside the top five. Even with a picked apart scouting report after being on the radar for a lengthy time, Turang brings an advanced approach, speed, defense and a steadily improving bat with him. Keeping with Anthopoulos trends of taking the best upside player available, and the Southern California scouts who have had a large say in recent Braves' drafts, Turang could be the Lewis they didn't have.

I’d be good with either of those 2 guys. I just want a stud position prospect.

CJ9
04-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Looks like Baseball America put a new mock out, but it also seems like their whole site is subscription only now. That sucks.

Nerfherders
04-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Yep they did that right in the middle of fantasy drafts so that suddenly I had no access to their top 100 and had to get the list from another source. It's kind of silly. It's just a list. Someone is going to repost that eventually.

Enscheff
04-03-2018, 11:07 AM
8. ATLANTA BRAVES

I just really wish a college bat would step forward and be worthy of the #8 pick.

Hudson2
04-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Funny how losing just a couple of more games could have been so important 2 years ago. Getting Senzel instead of Anderson would have been huge for us. If only Cespedes would have hit it a couple more feet.

clvclv
04-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Looks like Baseball America put a new mock out, but it also seems like their whole site is subscription only now. That sucks.

The article isn't behind the paywall as far as I can tell - most here won't like it though.

Enscheff
04-03-2018, 12:13 PM
John from Peru
12:27 Has a top tier of the draft formed yet? Who's on it and how deep is it so far? Is there anyone just on the outside of that tier who could potentially sneak in by draft day?
Eric A Longenhagen
12:28 Kiley and I were talking about it yesterday as we're prepping an draft board update. We agree Mize, Bohm and Madrigal are tier 1, Libby, Swaggerty and the rest of the premium college pitching are tier 2. Still time for some of the NE high schoolers to start playing and really blow up.

Given these tiers, I hope the Braves end up with Swags or an advanced college arm.

CJ9
04-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Bohm is interesting. He was asked for clarification and said he thinks Bohm goes top 5. "Crazy raw power, chance to stay at 3B. Yes, I thikn he goes top 5."

That's the highest I've seen anyone on Bohm. I don't think I've seen anyone say top 10 for him even.

CJ9
04-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Longenhagen on Swaggerty: "I have some bat path concerns. Bat head drags into the zone a little bit. Corey Ray me once, shame on you. Travis Swaggerty twice...."

MadduxFanII
04-03-2018, 07:25 PM
One rising name who might make sense for us: Florida third baseman Jonathan India. Hitting .423/.542/.911 (yes, that's the slugging percentage) while playing a dynamite third base. Could even potentially play short, if Swanson can't figure things out. There's a more detailed scouting report here (https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/981239233984847872).

Probably still an over-draft at 8 - he was good-but-not-great his first two years in college. But if you're looking for a college bat at a possible position of need, you could do worse.

Southcack77
04-03-2018, 07:53 PM
One rising name who might make sense for us: Florida third baseman Jonathan India. Hitting .423/.542/.911 (yes, that's the slugging percentage) while playing a dynamite third base. Could even potentially play short, if Swanson can't figure things out. There's a more detailed scouting report here (https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/981239233984847872).

Probably still an over-draft at 8 - he was good-but-not-great his first two years in college. But if you're looking for a college bat at a possible position of need, you could do worse.

Overdrafting for need just doesn’t make sense.

Not crapping on the idea of drafting the guy if the talent merits it.

But need just doesn’t work for me in baseball.

ball4life32
04-03-2018, 07:59 PM

They have us taking Ethan Hankins. Would absolutely love if he fell to 8.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/4/3/17193834/new-baseball-america-mock-draft-has-atlanta-braves-with-ethan-hankins

Hudson2
04-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Hankins would be an awesome get.

Enscheff
04-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Kiley just posted his most recent scouting notes: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/far-too-many-scouting-notes-on-college-draft-prospects/

Bohm is turning into exactly the type of impact college corner bat I was hoping would emerge as a possibility at #8. Swaggerty is a possibility too.

SJ24
04-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Kiley just posted his most recent scouting notes: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/far-too-many-scouting-notes-on-college-draft-prospects/

Bohm is turning into exactly the type of impact college corner bat I was hoping would emerge as a possibility at #8. Swaggerty is a possibility too.

Give me Bohm or give me death.

clvclv
04-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Given the pitching depth and the money available to spend, Bohm at #8 and a sliding Conine in the 2nd Round would be one *ell of a coup.

Super
04-09-2018, 06:58 AM
either EL or KM stated they think Bohm will go top 5.

CJ9
04-09-2018, 07:43 AM
either EL or KM stated they think Bohm will go top 5.

Yeah, I think they both did actually. They also said Swaggerty has been falling, so he may be our most realistic target at 8.

Fangraphs is supposed to be updating its draft rankings this week.

Carp
04-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Seth Beer is raking again. I know he's limited defensively, but he just oozes offensive potential.

UNCBlue012
04-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Seth Beer is raking again. I know he's limited defensively, but he just oozes offensive potential.

There is a really great story from The State on Beer finding his offense again thanks to Twitter.

Check it out: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article207677944.html

ball4life32
04-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I think they both did actually. They also said Swaggerty has been falling, so he may be our most realistic target at 8.

Fangraphs is supposed to be updating its draft rankings this week.

A college bat? I would be shocked. Hope we go for one of the higher upside guys.

CJ9
04-09-2018, 08:14 AM
A college bat? I would be shocked. Hope we go for one of the higher upside guys.

We need 3B and corner OF help, so if our draft guys think Bohm or Swaggerty is the best option, I think it makes a lot of sense.

thewupk
04-09-2018, 08:15 AM

We are right on the edge of being too high for where someone like Beer would get drafted. True defensive liabilities this early in a players careers just don't go this high.

thethe
04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
We are right on the edge of being too high for where someone like Beer would get drafted. True defensive liabilities this early in a players careers just don't go this high.

Unless you think the DH is coming in the new CBA I wouldn't take him. Freeman should be good for another 6 years so there is no place to put him otherwise.

I'd just draft another pitcher honestly. Keep that pipeline flowing. THe position player core looks real strong right now.

Enscheff
04-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Unless you think the DH is coming in the new CBA I wouldn't take him. Freeman should be good for another 6 years so there is no place to put him otherwise.

I'd just draft another pitcher honestly. Keep that pipeline flowing. THe position player core looks real strong right now.

Right. The Braves have hit on almost all top position prospects the last decade, and have a much worse record with pitching prospects.

Therefore, it's wise to continue drafting guys more likely to bust. Excellent plan!

thethe
04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Right. The Braves have hit on almost all top position prospects the last decade, and have a much worse record with pitching prospects.

Therefore, it's wise to continue drafting guys more likely to bust. Excellent plan!

We have done quite well with pitching the last three years. Not even sure what you are talking about.

Enscheff
04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
We have done quite well with pitching the last three years. Not even sure what you are talking about.

I know you aren't. It's adorable.

MadduxFanII
04-09-2018, 01:13 PM
If you evaluate Beer as a potential elite hitter (and I don’t know if the Braves do or should), there’s an argument for taking him at 8.

The most obvious comparison would be the Brewers using a top 10 pick on Matt LaPorta when they still had Prince Fielder at first. They made noises about trying LaPorta at other positions, but predictably they ended up dealing him (for CC Sabathia), which isn’t bad value for a draft pick.

If Beer rakes, he has a ton of value. You can trade him. You can try him in left and see if that’s actually a possibility. And if you keep him in the minors to develop through 2020, then Freeman has just one more year on his contract, and you can potentially use Freddie as a dynamite trade chip, finally fulfilling Horsehide Harry’s dearest dream.

Southcack77
04-09-2018, 01:58 PM
If you evaluate Beer as a potential elite hitter (and I don’t know if the Braves do or should), there’s an argument for taking him at 8.

The most obvious comparison would be the Brewers using a top 10 pick on Matt LaPorta when they still had Prince Fielder at first. They made noises about trying LaPorta at other positions, but predictably they ended up dealing him (for CC Sabathia), which isn’t bad value for a draft pick.

If Beer rakes, he has a ton of value. You can trade him. You can try him in left and see if that’s actually a possibility. And if you keep him in the minors to develop through 2020, then Freeman has just one more year on his contract, and you can potentially use Freddie as a dynamite trade chip, finally fulfilling Horsehide Harry’s dearest dream.

If the Braves were to make big signings and live near the top of their payroll threshold while the young ones are cheap, then a trade of Freeman -- or at the very least the necessity of having internal replacement for him -- becomes almost certain.

CJ9
04-10-2018, 07:28 AM
2080baseball just put out their updated draft ranks. I don't view them as being as credible as Fangraphs, Baseball America or Pipeline, but still interesting to look at them -- https://2080baseball.com/2018/04/2018-mlb-draft-ranking-the-top-125/.

bravesfanMatt
04-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Those who want Beer. Wonder if he could fall to our second round pick.

thewupk
04-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Those who want Beer. Wonder if he could fall to our second round pick.

That would be a lot to ask. If he's viewed as an elite bat with his defensive issues he will go mid 1st round more than likely. Still, lots of things can change between now and draft day.

CJ9
04-10-2018, 09:27 AM
College players, bats especially, ALWAYS move up the boards as draft day gets closer and teams crave less risk. I'd be pretty surprised if Beer made it to our pick at 49.

Tapate50
04-10-2018, 09:28 AM
That would be a lot to ask. If he's viewed as an elite bat with his defensive issues he will go mid 1st round more than likely. Still, lots of things can change between now and draft day.

Maybe we could offer him a car on the side?

thewupk
04-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Maybe we could offer him a car on the side?

No way MLB would care about that

Horsehide Harry
04-10-2018, 10:11 AM
I would like to see Gorman or Hankins fall to the Braves. Gorman looks like the best bat in the draft and is still 17. Hankins looks like a guy with TOR stuff.

Evad
04-10-2018, 10:16 AM
I would like to see Gorman or Hankins fall to the Braves. Gorman looks like the best bat in the draft and is still 17. Hankins looks like a guy with TOR stuff.

Seem it a few times and kinda let it go.. but, what does TOR stand for?

50PoundHead
04-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Seem it a few times and kinda let it go.. but, what does TOR stand for?

Top-of-Rotation.

Evad
04-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Top-of-Rotation.

Thanks.

clvclv
04-10-2018, 03:27 PM

Ideally (for me, anyway) Gorman or Bohm slips to us at #8, and then Beer, Conine, and Noah Naylor slip to #49 and we get to choose from them. My guess of course is that we could luck into Hankins with the early pick and Naylor or Jordan Groshans are there in the 2nd Round.

ball4life32
04-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Got to think C Joey Bart from Georgia Tech is on the rise in the draft. Hometown boy... I wonder if the Braves would give him a look at 8? 3-3 with 2 HR, 2B, 4 BB’s and threw out a baserunner at second today vs Mercer. 11 home runs and batting .362 on the year. He has a plus arm and is a plus behind the plate. Danny Hall said he is right there with Wieters and Varitek.

CJ9
04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Lot of good notes from Kiley's chat: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-4-11-18/

Says Hankins likely doesn't go top five, "still a chance" to go top 10. Swaggerty and Bohm were our best shot to get an elite college bat, and he thinks they both go top five.

Enscheff
04-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Lot of good notes from Kiley's chat: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-4-11-18/

Says Hankins likely doesn't go top five, "still a chance" to go top 10. Swaggerty and Bohm were our best shot to get an elite college bat, and he thinks they both go top five.

I literally just came to post this haha.

Here's the main quote I was interested in:

Jr
12:12 Who's the top 3 draft prospects right now?
Kiley McDaniel
12:13 Mize, Bohm, Madrigal for me but you could argue Swaggerty or McClanahan or Stewart could be in there.

I'm hoping one of those college bats fall to the Braves at 8. Otherwise, I hope one of the elite college arms is there.

I would be shocked if Mize makes it to 8 though. It would be a bigger coup than Wright at 5.

CJ9
04-11-2018, 12:49 PM
I literally just came to post this haha.

Here's the main quote I was interested in:

Jr
12:12 Who's the top 3 draft prospects right now?
Kiley McDaniel
12:13 Mize, Bohm, Madrigal for me but you could argue Swaggerty or McClanahan or Stewart could be in there.

I'm hoping one of those college bats fall to the Braves at 8. Otherwise, I hope one of the elite college arms is there.

I would be shocked if Mize makes it to 8 though. It would be a bigger coup than Wright at 5.

What concerns me about that is I don't really consider anyone other than Mize/McClanahan to be an elite college arm. The Singer/Rollison/Gilbert grouping doesn't excite me all that much. At that point, I might prefer to just go best HS bat available and hope for the best.

Tapate50
04-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Hankins at 8 would be really really fortunate if you believe in his upside

CJ9
04-18-2018, 07:45 AM
New Fangraphs draft rankings and there have been significant changes — https://t.co/nKJF0Aa1OP

Super
04-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Is Joey Bart a possibility? Rare combo of need and appropriate draft placement.

Tapate50
04-18-2018, 07:55 AM
New Fangraphs draft rankings and there have been significant changes — https://t.co/nKJF0Aa1OP

Really good write up. Bart is right there around our pick along with several pitchers and 3B options that would work really well. So basically, we will have our choice of a nice player for a fit.

They have Hankins around 31 or so...

Hell, ought to be watching every one of Bart's home games being he plays in ATL. Like the fact he calls his own games and is plus on D and the arm.

CJ9
04-18-2018, 08:36 AM
I’m not a Bart fan. I’d rather see if Jackson, Cumberland or Lugbauer can turn into our catcher of the future than go Bart at 8. We can also keep Flowers or sign someone like Grandal for the next couple years.

I read there were concerns about Bart’s swing and miss earlier this spring and most scouts questioned his ability to make consistent contact. Just think we can shoot higher than him at that spot.

Hudson2
04-18-2018, 08:43 AM
I like Bohm a lot but the positional and pitching talent looks strong this year so we should get a good player at least.

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Still of the view that the only hitters I would want the Braves to pick are Madrigal and Turang. If one of those two drops to us, I want him drafted. If not, I'd go with a pitcher.

CJ9
04-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Cole Wilcox strikes me as a candidate for our second pick. #36 in these rankings, high school righty in Georgia.

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 09:34 AM
I hope we avoid a HS pitcher with our second round pick. We've picked a ton of HS pitchers at that point of the draft with poor returns.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2018, 09:45 AM
I hope we avoid a HS pitcher with our second round pick. We've picked a ton of HS pitchers at that point of the draft with poor returns.

Just means we are due you damn quitter.

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Just means we are due you damn quitter.

if at first you fail try again...that's one philosophy

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 09:58 AM
based on the way the talent is distributed in this draft, I wouldn't mind seeing us go this way:

1) Madrigal or Turang
2) college pitcher (maybe someone we agree to go above slot to a la Alex Wood)

Super
04-18-2018, 09:59 AM

this reasoning..i don't like it.

Tapate50
04-18-2018, 10:00 AM
based on the way the talent is distributed in this draft, I wouldn't mind seeing us go this way:

1) Madrigal or Turang
2) college pitcher (maybe someone we agree to go above slot to a la Alex Wood)

Don't see madrigal as realistic and we may be able to do better than Turang at that point with how its shaking out. Also- what pitchers would you target if those two aren't options?

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 10:05 AM

its not just us...there are patterns to the draft where returns on certain types of player are better in certain rounds

I'm not advocating being completely inflexible about this...just arrange your draft board so that there are fewer HS pitchers in the population under consideration for those rounds

But when it comes to what I call the early rounds outside the first round (supplemental, second and third rounds): we've done better with college pitchers (Wood, Kimbrel), HS hitters (McCann, Saltalamacchia, Freeman), and college hitters (Simmons).

Enscheff
04-18-2018, 11:21 AM
I have Bohm as my #1 wish list item, with Swaggerty hesitantly as #2.

Never really heard of Bart, but it would be great to get an actual catching prospect in the system that isn't pure pozzy hype (let the bitching about that comment begin).

The HS pitchers just don't excite me other than perhaps Stewart because he has improved this year. Some concerning comments about HS arms around #8:

McClanahan has "been hit around and has regressed across the board". No thanks.

Liberatore's "stuff waxes and wanes throughout his outings". I'll pass.

I'd rather see the Braves go after a prep hitter like Kelenic or Scott than another HS pitcher with questions.

So players I'd like (assuming Mize and Madrigal have no shot to fall to #8):

Bohm
Swaggerty
Bart
Kelenic
Scott
Stewart

That's 6 players plus 2 I assume will go Top 5...and the Braves pick 8. There is guaranteed to be a player available that I like when the Braves pick.

clvclv
04-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Pretty interesting look at AA's draft history...

http://toronto.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2017/06/12/how-good-were-anthopoulos-and-shapiroatkins-blue-jays-drafts/

2010:
1.11 - Deck McGuire (College Pitcher)
1.34 - Aaron Sanchez (HS Pitcher)
1.38 - Noah Syndergaard (HS Pitcher)
1.41 - Asher Wojoiechowski (College Pitcher)
2.61 - Griffin Murphy (HS Pitcher)
2.69 - Kellen Sweeney (HS 3B)
2.80 - Justin Nicolino (HS Pitcher)
3.93 - Chris Hawkins (HS SS)
3.113 - Marcus Knecht (JC OF)
4.126 - Sam Dyson (College Pitcher)

2011:
1.21 - Tyler Beede (HS Pitcher) UNSIGNED
1.35 - Jacob Anderson (HS OF)
1.46 - Joe Musgrove (HS Pitcher)
1.53 - Dwight Smith Jr. (HS OF)
1.57 - Kevin Comer (HS Pitcher)
2.74 - Daniel Norris (HS Pitcher)
2.78 - Jeremy Gabryszwski (HS Pitcher)
3.108 - John Stilson (College Pitcher)

2012:
1.17 - D. J. Davis (HS OF)
1.22 - Marcus Stroman (College Pitcher)
1.50 - Matthew Smoral (HS Pitcher)
1.58 - Mitch Nat (HS 3B)
1.60 - Tyler Gonzales (HS Pitcher)
2.81 - Chase De Jong (HS Pitcher)
3.112 - Anthony Alford (HS OF)

2013:
1.10 - Phil Bickford (HS Pitcher) UNSIGNED
2.47 - Clinton Hollon (HS Pitcher)
3.83 - Patrick Murphy (HS Pitcher)
4.115 - Evan Smith (HS Pitcher)

2014:
1.9 - Jeff Hoffman (College Pitcher) Coming Off Of TJS
2.49 - Sean Reid-Foley (HS Pitcher)
3.83 - Nick Wells (HS Pitcher)
4.114 - Matt Morgan (HS C)

Southcack77
04-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Pretty interesting look at AA's draft history...

http://toronto.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2017/06/12/how-good-were-anthopoulos-and-shapiroatkins-blue-jays-drafts/

2010:
1.11 - Deck McGuire (College Pitcher)
1.34 - Aaron Sanchez (HS Pitcher)
1.38 - Noah Syndergaard (HS Pitcher)
1.41 - Asher Wojoiechowski (College Pitcher)
2.61 - Griffin Murphy (HS Pitcher)
2.69 - Kellen Sweeney (HS 3B)
2.80 - Justin Nicolino (HS Pitcher)
3.93 - Chris Hawkins (HS SS)
3.113 - Marcus Knecht (JC OF)
4.126 - Sam Dyson (College Pitcher)

2011:
1.21 - Tyler Beede (HS Pitcher) UNSIGNED
1.35 - Jacob Anderson (HS OF)
1.46 - Joe Musgrove (HS Pitcher)
1.53 - Dwight Smith Jr. (HS OF)
1.57 - Kevin Comer (HS Pitcher)
2.74 - Daniel Norris (HS Pitcher)
2.78 - Jeremy Gabryszwski (HS Pitcher)
3.108 - John Stilson (College Pitcher)

2012:
1.17 - D. J. Davis (HS OF)
1.22 - Marcus Stroman (College Pitcher)
1.50 - Matthew Smoral (HS Pitcher)
1.58 - Mitch Nat (HS 3B)
1.60 - Tyler Gonzales (HS Pitcher)
2.81 - Chase De Jong (HS Pitcher)
3.112 - Anthony Alford (HS OF)

2013:
1.10 - Phil Bickford (HS Pitcher) UNSIGNED
2.47 - Clinton Hollon (HS Pitcher)
3.83 - Patrick Murphy (HS Pitcher)
4.115 - Evan Smith (HS Pitcher)

2014:
1.9 - Jeff Hoffman (College Pitcher) Coming Off Of TJS
2.49 - Sean Reid-Foley (HS Pitcher)
3.83 - Nick Wells (HS Pitcher)
4.114 - Matt Morgan (HS C)

Not often highlighted around here, but his history and comments suggest he’s generally been on board with a pitching heavy approach to the draft.

He also wasn’t regarded as especially analytics driven in Toronto.

Tapate50
04-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Heavy with the prep players

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Heavy with the prep players

A yuge number of HS pitchers. He did hit on some of them.

50PoundHead
04-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Don't see madrigal as realistic and we may be able to do better than Turang at that point with how its shaking out. Also- what pitchers would you target if those two aren't options?

Madrigal can hit, but where does he play at the pro level?

nsacpi
04-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Madrigal can hit, but where does he play at the pro level?

Probably worth giving him an opportunity to stick at short. There are a lot of other possibilities--second, third, center, corner outfield. That's what I like about players like Madrigal and Turang. They have the hit tool. But also another path to success due to their potential for being above-average defenders at a variety of positions.

auyushu
04-18-2018, 08:01 PM

It's not just the Braves, drafting HS pitchers in the 2nd round is just a bad idea period during current draft history. There has been one top pitching prospect drafted in the second round from high school from the 2010-2017 drafts, and that's Mitch Keller from the Pirates. There have been barely any college pitchers worth a crap drafted in the 2nd round during that time frame either. Velaquez and Alex Wood are the only decent starters during that time frame.

clvclv
04-18-2018, 09:25 PM
It's not just the Braves, drafting HS pitchers in the 2nd round is just a bad idea period during current draft history. There has been one top pitching prospect drafted in the second round from high school from the 2010-2017 drafts, and that's Mitch Keller from the Pirates. There have been barely any college pitchers worth a crap drafted in the 2nd round during that time frame either. Velaquez and Alex Wood are the only decent starters during that time frame.

All the more reason to expect Hankins at #8 if he somehow slips that far - AA's apparent preference for Pitchers with high upside (and "misses" when drafting bats early) combined with the chance that a bat with upside (Beer, Conine, McCarthy, Bart, Gray, Groshans could slip to you in the Second Round makes me wonder at least. Hard to pass on an arm with that type of upside if there's not a "no-brainer" bat available.

Super
04-19-2018, 06:44 AM

that's more fair than just saying the braves haven't done well, considering it's a different FO and previous drafts don't have a relationship to this one.

nsacpi
04-19-2018, 06:54 AM
it seems that college pitching is the deepest part of this draft...thats why I'm thinking we can get a good one with our #2 pick

smootness
04-19-2018, 07:58 AM

There have been some that at least looked promising at one time. Nick Burdi, Duane Underwood, Justin Nicolino (drafted by AA).

Daniel Norris, also drafted by AA, was absolutely a top prospect.

There honestly haven't been a lot of great prospects/players drafted in the 2nd round over that time range, period. That's probably the case for most rounds after the 1st.

AA has actually had great success when drafting pitching of some kind between the late 1st and 2nd rounds (Syndergaard, Musgrove, Stroman, Hoffman, Reid-Foley, Nicolino, Norris). Does it do a lot of good to draw a line between the late 1st and 2nd rounds? I don't really know, especially since our 2nd round pick this year will come pretty close to the CBA round.

nsacpi
04-19-2018, 08:21 AM
There have been some that at least looked promising at one time. Nick Burdi, Duane Underwood, Justin Nicolino (drafted by AA).

Daniel Norris, also drafted by AA, was absolutely a top prospect.

There honestly haven't been a lot of great prospects/players drafted in the 2nd round over that time range, period. That's probably the case for most rounds after the 1st.

AA has actually had great success when drafting pitching of some kind between the late 1st and 2nd rounds (Syndergaard, Musgrove, Stroman, Hoffman, Reid-Foley, Nicolino, Norris). Does it do a lot of good to draw a line between the late 1st and 2nd rounds? I don't really know, especially since our 2nd round pick this year will come pretty close to the CBA round.

any line is obviously arbitrary to some extent but it makes sense to analyze yields in various segments of the draft by type of player taken

CJ9
04-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Perfect game rankings update: https://t.co/4rONd0lMq7

Keith Law also updated his but it’s insider.

CJ9
04-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Fangraphs mock draft — we take Kumar Rocker at 8. Says we are connected to mostly the same kind of players as under Coppy. Upside Hs players, mostly arms. https://t.co/lKIuEr6JjZ

nsacpi
04-19-2018, 10:37 AM

My draft board right now would be something like this:

1. Madrigal
2. Turang
3. Liberatore
4. Mize
5. Stewart
6. Hankins
7. Rolison
8. McLanahan

More pitchers than hitters. But if one of the two hitters I like drops to us, I'd be very happy to see us take him.

Enscheff
04-19-2018, 11:35 AM
The FG mock has Mize, Bohm, Madrigal and Swaggerty all off the board in the first 4 picks. Stewart and Kelenic are also off the board before the Braves pick.

If the draft shakes out like this, I'd much rather see the Braves take a position player like Bart or Scott, but if they go HS pitcher it would be good to see them grab a guy like Rocker whose stuff hasn't regressed this season.

Hudson2
04-19-2018, 01:22 PM
What happened to Brady Singer? Has he stunk it up that bad?

CJ9
04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
What happened to Brady Singer? Has he stunk it up that bad?

He hasn’t been terrible. Lot of reports that his velocity has been down though.

50PoundHead
04-19-2018, 01:42 PM
The FG mock has Mize, Bohm, Madrigal and Swaggerty all off the board in the first 4 picks. Stewart and Kelenic are also off the board before the Braves pick.

If the draft shakes out like this, I'd much rather see the Braves take a position player like Bart or Scott, but if they go HS pitcher it would be good to see them grab a guy like Rocker whose stuff hasn't regressed this season.

How can you go wrong with a name like Rocker?

Tapate50
04-19-2018, 01:53 PM

Let him ride the Ny subway ?

jpx7
04-19-2018, 01:55 PM

There'd an amazing irony to the next great Brave named "Rocker" being also named "Kumar". That alone makes me hope the team strongly considers him.

SJ24
04-19-2018, 04:37 PM
I was saying suck for Kumar a lot last year.

He's perfect.

CJ9
04-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Perfect Game mock has us taking Nolan Gorman at 8. https://t.co/ZrRdu3pqqR

Hudson2
04-20-2018, 09:31 AM
I’m good with either Bohm or Gorman

Enscheff
04-26-2018, 03:30 PM
2:07
Len: Any new buzz in the top 10 since your mock and rankings updates last week?

2:08
Kiley McDaniel: yep, hearing 2-3-4 will go Swaggerty-Bohm-Madrigal now, with Cincy at 5 being the first wild card where people don’t really have a beat on it. Bart seems to be the favorite with Singer as the cut rate option. Then after that it’s still shrug emoji

Seems my hopes of the Braves getting an impact college bat are evaporating.

It's looking more and more like a pitcher will be BPA at #8.

BeanieAntics
04-26-2018, 03:34 PM
2:07
Len: Any new buzz in the top 10 since your mock and rankings updates last week?

2:08
Kiley McDaniel: yep, hearing 2-3-4 will go Swaggerty-Bohm-Madrigal now, with Cincy at 5 being the first wild card where people don’t really have a beat on it. Bart seems to be the favorite with Singer as the cut rate option. Then after that it’s still shrug emoji

Seems my hopes of the Braves getting an impact college bat are evaporating.

It's looking more and more like a pitcher will be BPA at #8.

I wish we could trade up or something. I think it is beyond stupid that all draft picks aren't tradeable. I just don't get it.

Tapate50
04-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Any scouting reports on Rocker ?

CJ9
04-27-2018, 11:46 AM
New Baseball America mock, but it's behind a paywall - https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-mlb-draft-picks-1-15/

clvclv
04-27-2018, 11:52 AM
New Baseball America mock, but it's behind a paywall - https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-mlb-draft-picks-1-15/

Rocker.

MadduxFanII
04-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Mize and Singer had a fun duel yesterday. Singer won and dominated and Mize took the loss after giving up a home run to future first rounder Jonathan India, but looked pretty great after that.

More than 50 scouts in attendance, allegedly.

Enscheff
04-27-2018, 01:43 PM

They have it as:

1. Mize
2. Bart
3. Bohm
4. Madrigal
5. Liberatore
6. McClanahan
7. Stewart

Then the Braves take Rocker.

With Swaggerty still on the board, I would have a hard time being happy with drafting Rocker.

I have a feeling Swaggerty (and all other impact college bats) won't be available, so the Braves end up with a pitcher...may as well be Rocker if he's who they like. At least there are no reports of him being hurt or his stuff regressing.

CJ9
04-27-2018, 01:46 PM
They have it as:

1. Mize
2. Bart
3. Bohm
4. Madrigal
5. Liberatore
6. McClanahan
7. Stewart

Then the Braves take Rocker.

With Swaggerty still on the board, I would have a hard time being happy with drafting Rocker.

I have a feeling Swaggerty (and all other impact college bats) won't be available, so the Braves end up with a pitcher...may as well be Rocker if he's who they like. At least there are no reports of him being hurt or his stuff regressing.

Seems like there have been some questions about Swaggerty's swing lately and a potential hitch that is scaring teams some -- think I read that in someone's chat this week, but I can't remember who. That said, Longenhagen just said two days ago that they would change their mock to put Swaggerty at 2 right now. Seems pretty unlikely that we'd have a shot at him anyway, but I agree. Would way rather have him than another HS arm.

nsacpi
04-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Bart with the helium. Turang seems to have dropped off some.

CJ9
05-01-2018, 10:11 AM
MLB Pipeline's mock: https://www.mlb.com/news/projections-for-all-30-first-round-draft-picks/c-274577288?tid=151437456

"8. Braves: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida

Last year, the Braves went the college arm route and were thrilled to have Kyle Wright available for them to take. McClanahan is a lefty with power stuff that will play at the next level. High school bats like Kelenic or Arizona-area third baseman Nolan Gorman also get brought up, as do the top two prep arms already off the board in this mock."

nsacpi
05-01-2018, 10:25 AM
MLB Pipeline's mock: https://www.mlb.com/news/projections-for-all-30-first-round-draft-picks/c-274577288?tid=151437456

Last year, the Braves went the college arm route and were thrilled to have Kyle Wright available for them to take. McClanahan is a lefty with power stuff that will play at the next level. High school bats like Kelenic or Arizona-area third baseman Nolan Gorman also get brought up, as do the top two prep arms already off the board in this mock."

I can live with that kind of pick. Alec Bohm is one hitter I'm starting to take an interest in but it looks like he and Madrigal will both be gone by the time we pick.

Enscheff
05-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Another scenario where 1 of the 4 best college bats is available and the Braves go pitching.

I would have a hard time being happy with that pick in that scenario.

Maybe I'll be more excited about the non-Mize pitchers as more info is released.

India is also starting to get interesting.

CJ9
05-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Another scenario where 1 of the 4 best college bats is available and the Braves go pitching.

Maybe I'll be more excited about the non-Mize pitchers as more info is released.

I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I don't really like any of them. McClanahan has big reliever risk because his command sucks, and he's already had TJ. I've seen him pitch a few times and have no interest in him at 8.

Enscheff
05-01-2018, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't expect that to be the case. I don't really like any of them. McClanahan has big reliever risk because his command sucks, and he's already had TJ. I've seen him pitch a few times and have no interest in him at 8.

At least Rocker, and to some extent Stewart, has seen his stuff improve this year. Everyone else has either regressed or been shaky.

msstate7
05-01-2018, 11:49 AM

India is also starting to get interesting.

India scares me some. He obviously has been great this season, but not so much his first 2 years. His slugging this season (.839) is almost the sum of his freshman (.440) and his sophomore (.429) years. I watch sec baseball a good bit, but not close enough to know if he changed his swing or something. His babip this season is .448 after being .351 freshman year and .308 his soph year. You obviously are smarter than me at scouting stats... any of that a red flag or just natural progression?

CJ9
05-01-2018, 11:59 AM
India scares me some. He obviously has been great this season, but not so much his first 2 years. His slugging this season (.839) is almost the sum of his freshman (.440) and his sophomore (.429) years. I watch sec baseball a good bit, but not close enough to know if he changed his swing or something. His babip this season is .448 after being .351 freshman year and .308 his soph year. You obviously are smarter than me at scouting stats... any of that a red flag or just natural progression?

I'm a Florida fan and have watched India a lot. It's an approach change. He's talked a lot about being more selective and using the entire field instead of the dead pull guy he was for the first two years, and he's in better shape/stronger now than his first two years. He had a few smaller injuries last year that hurt his progress, too. He has been a well known guy since he was a sophomore in HS, but he made it clear he was going to Florida and wouldn't be signing out of HS unless it was really high.

He's interesting in that he has handled shortstop well as an emergency guy. Dalton Guthrie was one of the best defensive shortstops in the country during India's first two years, so there was no need for him there. Early this season, Deacon Liput was suspended and all-world freshman Brady McConnell got hurt. India filled in capably at short when both were out, but he returned to third when Liput came off suspension. He's passable at shortstop, just doesn't have the elite range that make him a no brainer there. But with the way the game is going with shifts and defensive positioning, that might not be a huge deal anymore.

Either way, India is an elite defender at third. Arm strength, athleticism, glove -- it's all there. It all comes down to how you project the bat as to whether or not we should consider him at 8. I'm admittedly biased, but I think the breakout is real.

Enscheff
05-01-2018, 01:00 PM

No idea. I suspect BABIP in college is a bit like BABIP in MiLB in the sense that good hitters can sustain marks that are a bit higher than we are used to seeing at the MLB level due to inferior defenses. However, I'm confident .448 is unsustainable anywhere.

MLB teams aren't looking at his 1.388 OPS when the consider drafting him. They are looking at contact rates, pitch recognition, swing mechanics, swing speed, and exit velocities (somehow). Those are all things that can be improved upon between the ages of 20 and 21, so maybe he legitimately got better.

I'm not one of those guys who sits there trying to scout players from grainy video and pass myself off as an expert, so I'm not passing any prep prospect evaluation off as my own. I just read what I can from sources I consider competent, and formulate my opinions off that. I'm not Fat Ben trying to make myself sound like a scouting guru from the comfort of my couch.

Enscheff
05-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Pretty much what I have been expecting.

2:35
Fleer: What names are the braves connected to with the 8th pick of the draft? Is AA going to change their previous draft strategy of going pitcher heavy?

2:35
Kiley McDaniel: Hearing mostly prep/power arms there, so seems like it’ll be more of the same, but that is a question the industry is also wondering

Hudson2
05-02-2018, 04:17 PM
If Gorman is there I really hope we take him.

SJ24
05-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Kumar Rocker is the easy choice.

He's very athletic with great stuff that hasn't regressed at all, and the Braves need to market to the African American portion of the fan base.

He's a potential TOR guy, IMO.

SJ24
05-02-2018, 05:05 PM
If anyone with the Braves is reading this: PLEASE TAKE KUMAR.

He will be a star. He's pretty much a hometown kid, too.

PLEASE.

He is Ronald Acuna in pitcher form.

bravesfanMatt
05-02-2018, 05:09 PM
If anyone with the Braves is reading this: PLEASE TAKE KUMAR.

He will be a star. He's pretty much a hometown kid, too.

PLEASE.

He is Ronald Acuna in pitcher form.

Touki be mad now

MadduxFanII
05-03-2018, 10:09 AM
CJ9’s India take is a good one. Bondsian slugging percentage notwithstanding, I don’t think anyone looks at India as a huge power prospect. He doesn’t have the body or swing for that.

That said, he hit .303/.367/.440 as a freshman, and if everything breaks right for him I could see him being that sort of hitter in the pros.

Add in plus-plus defense at third, the ability to capably fill in at short and positive contributions on the bases, and he could be a real solid, well-rounded player.

That said, I suspect eighth is still a little too high for India, unless the front office REALLY wants an advanced bat.

CJ9
05-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Keith Law mock: http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=8328

He gives us Gorman at 8 and says he’s heard about the connection a few times. Interesting. Not a huge fan.

Every other HS bat is still available and Carter Stewart is the only HS arm gone in this scenario.

The Chosen One
05-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Is Kumar, John Rockers son

smootness
05-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Kumar Rocker is the easy choice.

He's very athletic with great stuff that hasn't regressed at all, and the Braves need to market to the African American portion of the fan base.

He's a potential TOR guy, IMO.

I don't know much about him, but why has he slipped so much in mocks?

The stuff may not have regressed, but it looks like it probably hasn't progressed like hoped.

Super
05-03-2018, 10:52 AM

joke?

CJ9
05-03-2018, 10:53 AM
I don't know much about him, but why has he slipped so much in mocks?

The stuff may not have regressed, but it looks like it probably hasn't progressed like hoped.

Law said he had a hamstring injury and velo was down because of it. There’s a knock on basically every HS arm right now that’s more than the normal risk they already come with.

Jaw
05-03-2018, 11:06 AM

John Rocker having an african american son named Kumar would be so very right.

Enscheff
05-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Law said he had a hamstring injury and velo was down because of it. There’s a knock on basically every HS arm right now that’s more than the normal risk they already come with.

Well there goes the only reason I was cool with the Braves taking Rocker.

Enscheff
05-03-2018, 04:00 PM
2:29
Tim: Whats the lowest Hankins and Vasil can go due to injuries? Any chance they fall to the second round?
2:31
Eric A Longenhagen: The cluster of HS pitching in rd 1 was pretty tight and injuries have moved them toward the back of the group, so yeah I think they both could slip into the comp round and maybe one of them gets to rd 2.

With good HS arms like this possibly falling the early 2nd round due to injury concerns, it makes me want the Braves to target a position player at #8 even more...even if it means reaching a little.

ball4life32
05-04-2018, 04:53 PM
leprekhan: You mentioned Nolan Gorman as being connected to the Braves in your mock, are there any other names that they have been connected to? How strong of a possibility is Kumar Rocker at #8?

Keith Law: I don’t think there’s any chance they do Rocker there. He’s not good enough, and yesterday didn’t help his chances.

msstate7
05-05-2018, 10:26 AM
What's happened to Seth beer? Where is he projected now? His ops has gone done every season, but so has his BABIP... it has been in .200s last 2 seasons

Deester11
05-05-2018, 01:46 PM
leprekhan: You mentioned Nolan Gorman as being connected to the Braves in your mock, are there any other names that they have been connected to? How strong of a possibility is Kumar Rocker at #8?

Keith Law: I don’t think there’s any chance they do Rocker there. He’s not good enough, and yesterday didn’t help his chances. Law is full of it. If we took Kumar, we should be ecstatic. He is plenty good, Workhorse body and projectible. I wouldn't take him necessarily but not good enough is stupid.

msstate7
05-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Watching Jackson kowar of Florida vs aTm. This kid has really good stuff... touching 98 and looks like a good changeup. Florida guys, why only 8.34 k9? Sec network guys think he could potentially jump in to the teens this draft

MadduxFanII
05-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Watching Jackson kowar of Florida vs aTm. This kid has really good stuff... touching 98 and looks like a good changeup. Florida guys, why only 8.34 k9? Sec network guys think he could potentially jump in to the teens this draft

I mentioned earlier in this thread that Kowar has never really pitched up to his stuff, though he's having his best season this year. The 98 today is kind of an outlier - he's more a low 90's guy who can run it up into the mid-90's when needed. But his changeup is absolutely dynamite, a killer pitch when he's on.

Command can be an issue, and he's prone to random innings where his control just completely deserts him. Generally speaking he's just one of those guys who never makes hitters as uncomfortable as his stuff suggests he should. Chris Reitsma is actually a really good comparison in terms of build, stuff and the nature of their struggles.

Horsehide Harry
05-06-2018, 01:58 AM
I like:

at 8- Gorman or Hankins, Stewart, Liberatore
49 - Cole Wilcox, JT Ginn, Kyler Murray, Owen White
112 - Jonathan Ornelas, Pipkin, Braxton Ashcraft

I would go heavy money early since there is no 3rd rounder and go with min guys the rest of the way.

ball4life32
05-06-2018, 06:44 AM
I like:

at 8- Gorman or Hankins, Stewart, Liberatore
49 - Cole Wilcox, JT Ginn, Kyler Murray, Owen White
112 - Jonathan Ornelas, Pipkin, Braxton Ashcraft

I would go heavy money early since there is no 3rd rounder and go with min guys the rest of the way.

I saw someone say it’s possible Hankins could slip to 49. I don’t think there’s anyway we take him at 8.

I also like the outfielder from Wisconsin Jarred Kelenic. Keith Law mentioned he’s had a good senior year and we had been scouting him.

CJ9
05-08-2018, 12:35 PM
New Baseball America mock behind a paywall: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-mlb-mock-draft-picks-1-35/

CJ9
05-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Looks like BA gives us Kelenic in this mock and says we've had someone watching his every move. Interesting. They also mention McClanahan, Gorman and three HS arms (Hankins, Rocker and Stewart).

nsacpi
05-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Looks like BA gives us Kelenic in this mock and says we've had someone watching his every move. Interesting. They also mention McClanahan, Gorman and three HS arms (Hankins, Rocker and Stewart).

Kelenic is of interest to me. The other hitters I would like us to consider with that first pick are Madrigal, Bohm and Turang.

nsacpi
05-08-2018, 01:10 PM
The latest BA mock looks like this:

1) Tigers Mize
2) Giants Bart
3) Phillies Bohm
4) White Sox India
5) Reds Singer
6) Mets Madrigal
7) Padres Liberatore

This is a pretty deep draft as far as having a strong top 10-12 group. Maybe not a super player at #1, but good depth. Works out well for where we are drafting.

Enscheff
05-08-2018, 01:17 PM

I think I'd prefer Kelenic over Gorman or the HS arms.

It looks like some risky HS arm with upside will be available at 49, so that's where I'd like to see them pop a pitcher.

I'll wait for more info from EL and Kiley though. KLaw is pretty bad...

Hudson2
05-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Bart flew up the draft. I hope that Bohm slips some and we have a chance to take him.

Tapate50
05-08-2018, 01:54 PM
The Giants taking Bart would be interesting. It’s one of the few positions they are set for the next 5 years.

Super
05-08-2018, 02:02 PM
The Giants taking Bart would be interesting. It’s one of the few positions they are set for the next 5 years.

think posey is sure to last 5 years?

Tapate50
05-08-2018, 02:24 PM
think posey is sure to last 5 years?

Yes. That last year is an option year and I think he ages pretty well behind the dish.

Enscheff
05-08-2018, 02:31 PM
It would be a small miracle if Posey is still catching more than half the time in his mid-30s.

mqt
05-08-2018, 03:45 PM
I'm obviously not saying he's anywhere close to Trout, but Kelenic excites me as a cold weather toolshed of his ilk.

Horsehide Harry
05-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Bart flew up the draft. I hope that Bohm slips some and we have a chance to take him.

I read that as Fart Blew up the draft....and had to double take:suprise:

CJ9
05-10-2018, 08:49 AM
New Perfect Game mock: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=15176

8. Atlanta Braves | Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (Ga.)
Yes, the Braves taking local talent is a cliché, but cliches generally exist for a reason and the relationship between Hankins and the Braves goes much deeper than geography. And don't forget that Hankins was a 1:1 consideration a couple of months ago and that the Braves system is so talented already that they can roll the dice on Hankins' ceiling.

smootness
05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
New Perfect Game mock: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=15176

Yes, the Braves taking local talent is a cliché, but cliches generally exist for a reason and the relationship between Hankins and the Braves goes much deeper than geography. And don't forget that Hankins was a 1:1 consideration a couple of months ago and that the Braves system is so talented already that they can roll the dice on Hankins' ceiling.

I really hope we don't go Hankins if India and Kelenic are both there.

nsacpi
05-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Bohm seems to be this year's Senzel.

smootness
05-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Bohm seems to be this year's Senzel.

I actually like India as a prospect more than Bohm at this point. Bohm has more power, according to all scouting reports, and India has been the beneficiary of some luck...but India is also facing better pitching night in and night out and continues to rake. The K's are a little high, but so are the BB's. And his defense and speed are both better than Bohm's.

Bohm looks like he absolutely won't be there at 8. And India may not be. But I would be more than happy with India at 8 if he falls.

Russ2dollas
05-10-2018, 10:34 AM
I haven't followed this much. It sounds like most experts are saying there isn't a real clear top tier or two. Seems like a year when lots of under slot deals will be cut.

Enscheff
05-10-2018, 11:04 AM
There are reports Hankins may fall to round 2 due to injury concerns. It would be pretty lame if the Braves reach for him at #8.

CJ9
05-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Dave
2:03 Any chance the Braves go with Kelenic at 8?

Kiley McDaniel
2:03 Definitely in the mix, we're hearing lots of high school names there and he's arguably the top prep bat

bravesfanMatt
05-10-2018, 01:08 PM
It is fun having a high pick and be in first place and still have a good farm.

thewupk
05-10-2018, 01:12 PM
It is fun having a high pick and be in first place and still have a good farm.

91 all over again

Jay212033
05-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Dave
2:03 Any chance the Braves go with Kelenic at 8?

Kiley McDaniel
2:03 Definitely in the mix, we're hearing lots of high school names there and he's arguably the top prep bat

Imagine him at 8 and Hankins in the 2nd

CJ9
05-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Would be best case scenario, but I don't think we're in a position to take one of those big money HS guys in the second round. Not having a third round pick (and more importantly, the bonus pool that comes with it) limits our ability to do that unfortunately. Plus, there are a lot of teams with multiple picks before our second pick, and they'd be the ones to do that. Unlikely that we take a Wentz-type overslot guy at 49, which means it's even more likely we go true talent best available at 8.

Southcack77
05-10-2018, 02:04 PM

One of the guys at Perfect Game had Hankins sitting back at 94-97 with movement in late April as opposed to the 88-92 that caused his stock to drop.

Southcack77
05-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Vandy commit. He isn't going to sign for less than top first round money.

CJ9
05-11-2018, 06:57 AM
MLB Pipeline mock: https://www.mlb.com/news/college-players-lead-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-276190214?tid=151437456

8. Braves: Nolan Gorman, 3B, O'Connor HS (Phoenix)

Atlanta would love a shot at local product Bart, but will have to settle for choosing from among Gorman, who has as much power as any high schooler, Kelenic, Stewart and Swaggerty.

CJ9
05-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Weird that Callis and Law have us heavily connected to Gorman while Fangraphs guys recently said they hadn’t heard much about a connection there.

BeanieAntics
05-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Here is a mid round sleeper that I hope Atlanta targets: Nick Sandlin. I am a USM fan, and he is probably the best pitcher we have ever had. He is currently sitting on a 0.88 ERA with 106 strikeouts to only 10 walks in 72 innings. This is his first year starting, he was our closer his first two seasons. But he has been absolutely dominant. He is a smaller guy that throws from different arm angles, but is mostly an exaggerated sidearm guy. Throws a really good sinker at 92-93 and maybe one of the best sliders in college baseball right now. His size will keep him from being a top round guy, but I'm pretty confident that he could be a steal in round 4 or 5. I think he could start at the next level for sure, but at worst I think he would be a very solid reliever.

UNCBlue012
05-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Weird that Callis and Law have us heavily connected to Gorman while Fangraphs guys recently said they hadn’t heard much about a connection there. he’s annoying as hell sometimes, but I typically trust Law’s sources.

CJ9
05-11-2018, 05:54 PM
he’s annoying as hell sometimes, but I typically trust Law’s sources.

Agree on all parts of that post. My only hesitation is that if there’s one team Kiley should be able to accurate on, it’s obviously the Braves. You’d certainly think he’s got a lot of leftover connections.

rico43
05-12-2018, 10:29 PM
I have high confidence that the Braves will draft a high school player at No. 8 because they need to start filling the gap caused by Coppygate. Kelenic would be as big a shocker as Wright falling to them last year.

Heyward
05-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Havent followed the draft much but need to draft a HS hitter with graduation of Riley soon, Swanson, Albies, and Acuna.

mqt
05-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Agree on all parts of that post. My only hesitation is that if there’s one team Kiley should be able to accurate on, it’s obviously the Braves. You’d certainly think he’s got a lot of leftover connections.

I'd have to think that his leftover sources have taken a backseat in terms of decision making.

CJ9
05-13-2018, 07:33 AM
I'd have to think that his leftover sources have taken a backseat in terms of decision making.

Not sure about that. I haven’t seen any reported changes from the draft side of the decision makers.

TheBravos
05-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Oh, as in most years...we will have all of these potential guys, and it will end up being a guy we will collectively say “Who??”. That said guy will then go onto to prove us wrong most likely lol. I do hope we nab a hitter though, but I’m not counting on it at all.

CJ9
05-15-2018, 07:31 AM
New Fangraphs mock has us taking Gorman at 8. Just a week or two ago, they were saying they hadn't heard that connection while others were projecting it, so they've clearly come around on that. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-2-0/

8. Atlanta Braves – Nolan Gorman, 3B, O’Connor HS (AZ)
It’s still unclear what the Braves’ draft direction will be under a new GM, but they’ve been tied to all the usual prep names this spring aside from Bart, who won’t make it this far. California prep righty Cole Winn is in play starting around this pick, and Kelenic is also being considered, along with a number of other prep arms.

Enscheff
05-15-2018, 11:29 AM
New Fangraphs mock has us taking Gorman at 8. Just a week or two ago, they were saying they hadn't heard that connection while others were projecting it, so they've clearly come around on that. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-2-0/

It’s still unclear what the Braves’ draft direction will be under a new GM, but they’ve been tied to all the usual prep names this spring aside from Bart, who won’t make it this far. California prep righty Cole Winn is in play starting around this pick, and Kelenic is also being considered, along with a number of other prep arms.

At least it's a position player.

Another very interesting note is where they have guys like Rocker (#38) and Hankins (#42) being picked.

As I said earlier, a talented and risky HS arm is likely to be available in the 2nd round, so I would like to see the Braves get a position player at #8 and grab one of those arms at #49.

Southcack77
05-15-2018, 09:11 PM

Having "heat in to see him" is a stupid thing to say repetively in semi-formal writing. Or once really.

Managuarantano's Volunteers
05-15-2018, 09:35 PM
Having "heat in to see him" is a stupid thing to say repetively in semi-formal writing. Or once really.

It’s really weird. Must be a scouting thing

Tapate50
05-16-2018, 05:35 AM

Another very interesting note is where they have guys like Rocker (#38) and Hankins (#42) being picked.

As I said earlier, a talented and risky HS arm is likely to be available in the 2nd round, so I would like to see the Braves get a position player at #8 and grab one of those arms at #49.

Some of those guys are known not to be signable at that range. It would take a massive overpay and top money for some of them to sign. They may not go top 10, so teams won’t take them knowing they likely cannot sign around slot.

Southcack77
05-16-2018, 08:31 AM
It’s really weird. Must be a scouting thing

I obviously knew what it meant after thinking about it, but this is not a phrase that regular people use. And it's sort of a stupid phrase to boot.

Using it once or twice for color and faux authority is stretching it. Using it 10-15 times in a 40 paragraph article is just poor writing.

Southcack77
05-16-2018, 08:33 AM
KC and Tampa would seem to be the best destinations for risky first round arms if they really fall.

It looks like a relatively weak draft for hitters, but the pitching depth seems to be there. One of those teams should give Hankins above slot money.

cajunrevenge
05-16-2018, 08:44 AM
I don't think he is going to be available at 8 but I will go ape**** if we draft Bart. I hate college catchers with a passion. The "safer" and higher "floor" they have the more I hate them. I would sooner draft a college senior who would sign for 5$ so we can draft real prospects later than to draft Bart.

I am not comparing them as prospects but it would be the whole Cody Johnson situation all over again for me if anyone remembers how much I hated that pick.

mqt
05-16-2018, 03:41 PM

I don't see where the money would come from. I can't imagine Gorman goes underslot at 8.

Russ2dollas
05-16-2018, 03:43 PM
I don't think he is going to be available at 8 but I will go ape**** if we draft Bart. I hate college catchers with a passion. The "safer" and higher "floor" they have the more I hate them. I would sooner draft a college senior who would sign for 5$ so we can draft real prospects later than to draft Bart.

I am not comparing them as prospects but it would be the whole Cody Johnson situation all over again for me if anyone remembers how much I hated that pick.

I don't get all of the rules. It seemed like last year we may have made it known we would pay a lot for Wright and he fell.

If we have a guy we really like maybe his demand is so high that he can fall. Then we'd have to make it a 1-2 player draft and put in a lot of senior signs.

Enscheff
05-16-2018, 03:55 PM
I don't see where the money would come from. I can't imagine Gorman goes underslot at 8.

Same place the Wright money came from last year...cheap seniors after the top picks.

bravesfanMatt
05-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Same place the Wright money came from last year...cheap seniors after the top picks.

Under the table deals for cars?

CJ9
05-16-2018, 05:18 PM
The problem with going big money in the second round is we lost the pick value of our third rounder. That makes it a lot more difficult to game the system, especially when there are many teams with multiple picks before our second pick. I wouldn’t bank on that happening.

Enscheff
05-16-2018, 05:24 PM
The problem with going big money in the second round is we lost the pick value of our third rounder. That makes it a lot more difficult to game the system, especially when there are many teams with multiple picks before our second pick. I wouldn’t bank on that happening.

This "many teams with multiple picks before our second pick" line was used last year too, but the Braves still got Wright over slot.

If the Braves want to punt their entire draft to get Gorman at #8 and a HS arm at #49, they can certainly do it.

Whether or not a guy will be there at #49 worthy of such a move is obviously not going to be certain until daft day.

CJ9
05-16-2018, 05:29 PM
This "many teams with multiple picks before our second pick" line was used last year too, but the Braves still got Wright over slot.

If the Braves want to punt their entire draft to get Gorman at #8 and a HS arm at #49, they can certainly do it.

Whether or not a guy will be there at #49 worthy of such a move is obviously not going to be certain until daft day.

The point about teams with multiple picks was in reference to 49. It’s going to make it a lot harder for a Rocker/Hankins to fall to 49 when teams with multiple picks (and multiple pick values in their draft money) have the chance to take them before we do at 49.

50PoundHead
05-16-2018, 05:32 PM

I worry about that a strategy that goes in the two "big" picks at the expense of the rest of the draft this year because our depth in the lower minors is going to be non-existent due to the Coppolella scandal. I'm all for going high-buck with the first pick, but after that I think we are going to have to be more cautious than we have been in recent years. Of course, if someone falls into our laps at #49, that can change.

Enscheff
05-16-2018, 05:45 PM
The point about teams with multiple picks was in reference to 49. It’s going to make it a lot harder for a Rocker/Hankins to fall to 49 when teams with multiple picks (and multiple pick values in their draft money) have the chance to take them before we do at 49.

I'd go into it more with the understanding that if someone like Hankins falls to 49, grab him and punt the rest of the draft. If nobody like that falls, draft BPA the rest of the way.

I would absolutely not try to work out some deal trying to make him fall to 49, and I wouldn't draft this year's Anderson at 8 to save money for pick 49 either.

Pick BPA at 8. Pick BPA at 49. If it's Hankins or another high price arm at 49 try to save later cash to sign him.

Horsehide Harry
05-16-2018, 10:58 PM
The draft is about risk and high end talent. Sure, there is always the out of nowhere pick like Mike Piazza who gets drafted late and goes on to become a HoF. But that's extremely rare, playing very long odds.

The whole idea about skipping a player that you really want because his cost will mean pinching pennies later in the draft is a little weird to me.

The odds are that your impact ML players mostly (by a big margin on a % basis) come from 1 and 2 round picks. Most often, anyone not picked that high turns into a bit player at the ML level if at all. Sure, you get a lot of 4,5 and 6 round guys who bang around the upper minors for a number of years, might get a cup of coffee and certainly help the real talent out by being somewhat competent teammates. But, being overly concerned that you will miss on a real star after the first couple of rounds of the draft is a bit like worrying what you will look like when a super model comes to ask you out. So you say it could happen.

I think if you can get high end talent with 1/2 in the draft and it means that you punt rounds 4+, then so be it. You can always populate the lower minors with guys looking for a second chance from getting cut with other organizations and with cheap college seniors. If you could get Gorman and Hankins and nothing else, your talking about two guys who have at times been projected to go 1/1. Neither may ever amount to anything. But both have certain tools that are being graded at future ML star level. If both make it to the ML (or even one who becomes a star) who cares that your 4th round pick was a blind midget with a club foot?

mqt
05-16-2018, 11:52 PM
I worry about that a strategy that goes in the two "big" picks at the expense of the rest of the draft this year because our depth in the lower minors is going to be non-existent due to the Coppolella scandal. I'm all for going high-buck with the first pick, but after that I think we are going to have to be more cautious than we have been in recent years. Of course, if someone falls into our laps at #49, that can change.
We can sign IFA depth pieces all but one year under our penalty. Where we'll be hurt the most is in impact talent. If we can afford to do so, I'd swing for the fences on two players. I just don't necessarily see enough money to execute that strategy.

TheBravos
05-17-2018, 06:31 AM
Baseball is the only sport that you don’t always take the player you want at your draft spot because of your money pool. It is really crazy when you think about it.

CJ9
05-17-2018, 06:41 AM
One guy I think makes sense with our second round pick is LHP Luke Bartnicki from Marietta. Perfect Game has him #34 overall. He was in the PG All-American Classic, touches 94 and supposedly has a plus slider. Combining our love for Georgia players and second round HS arms, he makes sense: https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=422313

Super
05-17-2018, 06:46 AM
We can sign IFA depth pieces all but one year under our penalty. Where we'll be hurt the most is in impact talent. If we can afford to do so, I'd swing for the fences on two players. I just don't necessarily see enough money to execute that strategy.

"impact talent" is what we thought we were getting the year of the scandal.
i like the strategy of going after a bunch of cheaper guys.

Super
05-17-2018, 06:48 AM
our depth in the lower minors is going to be non-existent due to the Coppolella scandal.

i don't necessarily agree with this. i think there's already some good depth there. continuing to draft well will be way more important than signing INTFA, IMO.

CJ9
05-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Keith Law's new mock is up -- http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23522324/keith-law-2018-mock-draft-20

He has us taking Gorman at 8. Says he has heard this connection a lot "without much discussion of alternatives (yet)."