PDA

View Full Version : Gohara and the rotation

msstate7
03-10-2018, 07:57 AM
According to bowman article, gohara sprained ankle and may miss some of the regular season. Says Newcomb looks to be a lock to start with Kazmir and wisler battling for 5-spot. Who you want wisler or kazmir until gohara is healthy? I say wisler

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180309&content_id=268303620&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl

Russ2dollas
03-10-2018, 08:27 AM
According to bowman article, gohara sprained ankle and may miss some of the regular season. Says Newcomb looks to be a lock to start with Kazmir and wisler battling for 5-spot. Who you want wisler or kazmir until gohara is healthy? I say wisler

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180309&content_id=268303620&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl

Kazmir

He is owed a ton of money. But maybe he’s good early and we can move him. We’d pay most of it but maybe we could save a couple million and get a c prospect

msstate7
03-10-2018, 08:31 AM
ST stats so far...

JT: 9.0 ip 0.00 era 5 k 1.00 whip
Folty: 5.0 ip 0.00 era 1 k 0.60 whip
McCarthy: 6.2 ip 1.35 era 4 k 0.75 whip
Newcomb: 6.0 ip 4.50 era 6 k 1.00 whip
Kazmir: 6.0 ip 3.00 era 3 k 1.67 whip
Wisler: 7.0 ip 0.00 era 5 k 0.71 whip

thethe
03-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Aside from the lingering injury issues with gohara this will work out perfectly and make the planning easier. You get to monitor his innings count this year get an extra year of control and allow other guys a chance to pitch and build value.

This is borderline good news.

Enscheff
03-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Aside from the lingering injury issues with gohara this will work out perfectly and make the planning easier. You get to monitor his innings count this year get an extra year of control and allow other guys a chance to pitch and build value.

LOL, only one person could spin this into being good news.

Enscheff
03-10-2018, 11:42 AM
It doesn’t really matter who is the 5th guy, but I would rather see if Wisler can figure out how to stick as a back end SP.

bravesfanMatt
03-10-2018, 11:57 AM
LOL, only one person could spin this into being good news.

Yeah, I am fine with silver lining.. but good news, even if borderline, is a bit of a stretch..

Enscheff
03-10-2018, 12:02 PM
It will most likely be Kazmir since Wisler can be sent to AAA. We have already heard comments about the Braves plans to operate in this manner.

GeorgiaGirl
03-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Hopefully, the Braves are smart enough to option him out after ST ends to save service time but realistically, this is very concerning for Gohara himself. He really needs to get help on his weight.

JohnAdcox
03-10-2018, 12:19 PM
It will most likely be Kazmir since Wisler can be sent to AAA. We have already heard comments about the Braves plans to operate in this manner.

I still cling to desperate hope that after a rash of injuries around the league, Kazmir will pitch just well enough to get traded.

thewupk
03-10-2018, 12:27 PM

For certain prospects I would tend to agree but the biggest issue with Gohara is going to be injury so anything injury related to him is not good news. I'm not too concerned with service time for pitchers since they flame out so quickly anyways.

msstate7
03-10-2018, 12:33 PM
The injury is a sprained ankle, so not really sure this is bc he is overweight. Hell, camargo fell down and hurt his knee and he isn’t overweight

thethe
03-10-2018, 01:17 PM
It doesn’t really matter who is the 5th guy, but I would rather see if Wisler can figure out how to stick as a back end SP.

That's why I said borderline

thethe
03-10-2018, 01:26 PM
For certain prospects I would tend to agree but the biggest issue with Gohara is going to be injury so anything injury related to him is not good news. I'm not too concerned with service time for pitchers since they flame out so quickly anyways.

As long as it isn't arm troubles I'm optimistic.

Enscheff
03-10-2018, 01:44 PM
The injury is a sprained ankle, so not really sure this is bc he is overweight. Hell, camargo fell down and hurt his knee and he isn’t overweight

Would you say a guy that’s 50 lbs overweight is more or less likely to strain leg muscles and sprain leg joints?

Gohara is fat and that adds all sorts of risk for lower body injuries. It’s common in your area, but everyone else understands this simple fact.

50PoundHead
03-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Would you say a guy that’s 50 lbs overweight is more or less likely to strain leg muscles and sprain leg joints?

Gohara is fat and that adds all sorts of risk for lower body injuries. It’s common in your area, but everyone else understands this simple fact.

Of the guys listed in the other thread about contact extensions, I'm a bit reluctant to go all-in on an extension for Gohara until he learns not to extend his arm to the dinner table too often. Call it fatism, but the body type scares me.

There a plenty of candidates for the 5th starter role for the first couple of weeks (or months). Let's make sure Gohara is healthy before tossing him in there.

Enscheff
03-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Of the guys listed, I'm a bit reluctant to go all-in on an extension for Gohara until he learns not to extend his arm to the dinner table too often. Call it fatism, but the body type scares me.

It’s always been his biggest risk factor, and it is already costing him MLB starts...at age 21.

Guys don’t typically get healthier as they age. Let’s hope Gohara decides to be a professional soon.

Braves1976
03-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Wisler still stinks, a small sample size in ST won't change that. If Kazmir is healthy and really does have more velocity in the tank as he says. Then you give him a shot in hopes of flipping him later. But either way I'd not go with Wisler.

Southcack77
03-10-2018, 07:33 PM
ST stats so far...

It's Happening!!!!!

msstate7
03-10-2018, 08:48 PM
It's Happening!!!!!

Damn right it is

nsacpi
03-10-2018, 08:57 PM
ST stats so far...

Our most impressive pitcher this spring is not listed above.

msstate7
03-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Our most impressive pitcher this spring is not listed above.

I agree.... Blair is awesome

TheBravos
03-10-2018, 09:15 PM
I agree.... Blair is awesome

I’m just saying....showcase any guys we can early in the year. Start any of Blair, Wisler and Kazmir. Keep Gohora, Fried etc down for a while.

I’m not a big fan of Wisler and Blair, but the team screwed them the way they were brought up. If they earn a spot...so be it. Save service time on the other guys. Trade them a few months in if they are still doing well.

We have competition for a reason. Let the guys that win preseason battles have a go. It sends a bad message otherwise.

Enscheff
03-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Literally limited after I said this:

Barring injury, it’s pretty clear the rotation is going to be Teheran, McMarthy, Folty, Newk and Kazmir. Either Newk or Kazmir will be the long man in the BP until April 10. They could also select a different long man and stash Newk in AAA for 1-2 starts.

Bowman posted an article that said this:

“Kazmir looks in good position to be placed in the rotation and quite possibly take the Opening Day roster spot currently earmarked for fellow left-handed starter Sean Newcomb.

The Braves will not need to carry five starting pitchers until they play their 11th game of the season on April 10. Thus, if Newcomb and Kazmir are slated to fill the two open rotation spots, one of them could be asked to make a start or two for Triple-A Gwinnett before being added to Atlanta's roster.“

As long as Kazmir is healthy we should expect to see him on the opening day roster.

Jaw
03-12-2018, 07:44 AM
I’m just saying....showcase any guys we can early in the year. Start any of Blair, Wisler and Kazmir. Keep Gohora, Fried etc down for a while.

I’m not a big fan of Wisler and Blair, but the team screwed them the way they were brought up. If they earn a spot...so be it. Save service time on the other guys. Trade them a few months in if they are still doing well.

We have competition for a reason. Let the guys that win preseason battles have a go. It sends a bad message otherwise.

I still expect Wisler to make it as a back end starter somewhere. A team with patience and a competent pitching coach is going to get nice value out of him.

msstate7
03-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Wisler’s GO/AO ratio is 2.00 this spring. Could just be SSS, but I do find it encouraging. 0.78 is his mlb career number.

Super
03-12-2018, 08:43 AM
i think this gohara injury is really concerning. or, at best, a pretty bad sign. to me it shows that at his size, there are bound to be nagging injuries like this.

msstate7
03-12-2018, 08:49 AM
i think this gohara injury is really concerning. or, at best, a pretty bad sign. to me it shows that at his size, there are bound to be nagging injuries like this.

Maybe. Did he miss a start last season? Looking at his career, he has pitched 21.2 ip, 50 ip, 63.2 ip, 69.2 ip, and 153 ip. Doesn’t really tell me how much time he has missed for injury though

Hudson2
03-12-2018, 08:59 AM
So he won’t join the rotation till May now? That must be a bad sprain.

msstate7
03-12-2018, 09:01 AM
So he won’t join the rotation till May now? That must be a bad sprain.

Wow... if correct, has to be high ankle

Super
03-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Maybe. Did he miss a start last season? Looking at his career, he has pitched 21.2 ip, 50 ip, 63.2 ip, 69.2 ip, and 153 ip. Doesn’t really tell me how much time he has missed for injury though

I'm guessing he threw so few innings due to injury, yes. not sure why else he'd only throw 50 innings.

Hudson2
03-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Wow... if correct, has to be high ankle

Yeah saying he basically has to repeat spring training starting in a few weeks.

Tapate50
03-12-2018, 09:17 AM
He hasn’t been throwing, so even after he heals he has about a months worth of getting ready to do.

4 weeks for the ankle/4 weeks for the arm give or take

It’s pretty early to call him injury riddled.

Southcack77
03-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I think this is a good result for Atlanta in that it

1) Opens a roster spot for some of the other options such as Kazmir, Blair or Wisler, or Fried.
2) Not sure where his service time is, but if this gets back a year on Gohara that's theoretically good
3) Should lower the innings on his arm this season, which I think is good.

I'm not a big believer on Gohara because of the body. I know there have been good fat pitchers, but it is less than ideal.

thewupk
03-12-2018, 09:39 AM
I think this is a good result for Atlanta in that it

1) Opens a roster spot for some of the other options such as Kazmir, Blair or Wisler, or Fried.
2) Not sure where his service time is, but if this gets back a year on Gohara that's theoretically good
3) Should lower the innings on his arm this season, which I think is good.

I'm not a big believer on Gohara because of the body. I know there have been good fat pitchers, but it is less than ideal.

It's good in that it forces the team to limit the innings on his arm but still very concerning giving injuries seem to be what his downfall will be. Hopefully it's something that doesn't plague him too much.

DirkPiggler
03-12-2018, 10:39 AM
The fact that the team says he'll have to basically repeat his spring training due to the injury tells me that Gohara probably wasn't exactly in the best shape of his life.

And I state this knowing full well that round is a shape.

Enscheff
03-12-2018, 11:33 AM

It's a pretty well known fact Gohara has missed time with various injuries his entire career.

In fact, he failed the Reds physical due to shoulder concerns:
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/luiz-gohara-trade-seattle-mariners-jerry-dipoto-drew-smyly-011117

He missed time with a hamstring issue in August 2016:
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mariners-luiz-gohara-returns-from-hamstring-injury/

And now add a couple more leg issues to his resume.

Gohara is about as out of shape as a professional athlete can be. This was THE major risk in his profile, and we are seeing precisely why right now.

He needs to get in better shape and start acting like a professional athlete, period.

Hudson2
03-12-2018, 12:04 PM
This is one reason why I was for putting Gohara in a trade for Yelich over Wright.

msstate7
03-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I still want wisler over Kazmir