PDA

View Full Version : The Comeback is Complete. Tiger's Back. Masters 2019 Winner

Runnin
03-16-2018, 12:05 PM
There's another golf thread somewhere but this story may deserve a second.

I was very skeptical that Tiger would ever get his game back, but after watching his swing the last few weeks, I think he's back in the mix of the best 20 or so players in the world at this time. He's a different player now, more humble one would think, and what magic he still possesses is yet to be seen, but many good players find a good groove in their late 40's and if Tiger does this, he still could win a bunch of tournaments.

The media, of course, is going crazy in anticipation, but fortunately Tiger is not only used to this but seems to love the attention. It's hard to believe that he's already the favorite to win at Augusta, considering how many good players there are now. Will they wilt before the glory of Tiger like they used to? I think not. The wins are going to be much harder to come by at this stage of his career, even if he gets his game back.

thethe
03-16-2018, 12:49 PM
He already recorded the fastest swing speed on the tour this year. I'd say his back is feeling good.

Still has got the short game down but missing a lot of putts. I didn't think the putter would be the weakest part of his game right now.

Runnin
03-16-2018, 12:59 PM
He already recorded the fastest swing speed on the tour this year. I'd say his back is feeling good.

Still has got the short game down but missing a lot of putts. I didn't think the putter would be the weakest part of his game right now.

I don't trust that clubhead speed record BS, nor should he. It means nothing for players at that level. He should refuse to talk or think about it. If his back feels good, that's all that matters. Now hit fairways and greens.

It will be interesting to see if he still has the Sunday magic or not. If not, it could be really fun watching him re-learn. I would personally rather see him as one of several top tier players than being better than everyone else.

thethe
03-16-2018, 01:14 PM
I don't trust that clubhead speed record BS, nor should he. It means nothing for players at that level. He should refuse to talk or think about it. If his back feels good, that's all that matters. Now hit fairways and greens.

It will be interesting to see if he still has the Sunday magic or not. If not, it could be really fun watching him re-learn. I would personally rather see him as one of several top tier players than being better than everyone else.

That putt he made on 17 last Sunday was some of the old magic. His irons seems strong he is just a little off on the tee which was kind of always his thing. Shorter courses will be great for him because that 2 iron is deadly.

Tapate50
03-16-2018, 03:26 PM
I didn’t think he get back to competitive. This is surprising to me. Good for golf though

The Chosen One
03-19-2018, 02:05 AM
I didn’t think he get back to competitive. This is surprising to me. Good for golf though

Same. Thought he was pretty much done mentally after the wife thing.

He's looked a lot better these last two weeks, but still curious to see what he does in a major again. Thankfully his hot play is close to Augusta where he knows that course just about as good as anyone.

Tapate50
03-19-2018, 11:14 AM
He doesn't look nearly as big as he has in the past.

Runnin
05-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Tiger is on the leaderboard late on Sunday afternoon in a big tournament. Much respect.

The Chosen One
06-21-2018, 12:18 AM
Not so well here at the Open. Then again, most of the field had a hard time with the horrendous conditions set by the USGA.

I don't know if Tiger is going to be doing well at the Open, since he's never really had a good showing at Carnoustie in previous tries.

The Chosen One
07-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Tiger is leading at The Open.

The Chosen One
07-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Shortlived. But still. Do it Tiger!

Runnin
07-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Tiger is leading at The Open.

He looks like the Champion out there. Now to see if he can hold it together down the stretch.

The Chosen One
07-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Those two bad holes there the difference for Tiger here.

Molinari 36 holes without a bogey.

Runnin
07-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Jean Van de Velde has been avenged.

Runnin
07-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Jean Van de Velde has been avenged.

Italian, French? What's the difference when it comes to golf?

Acuña’s Bat Flip
08-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Tiger is washed up.

The Chosen One
08-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Too many short putts on the back 9.

If he even gets one or two of those for birdies he's right next to Brooks. Was so frustrating to see him racking up so many pars after hitting so many solid drives and approaches.

Heyward
08-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Too many short putts on the back 9.

If he even gets one or two of those for birdies he's right next to Brooks. Was so frustrating to see him racking up so many pars after hitting so many solid drives and approaches.

He shoots well on the fronts, then cant get anything going on the back 9's.

If he birdies the 17th, he's 2-3 back heading into Sunday. Very frustrating when he's leaving himself makeable birdies.

The Chosen One
08-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Soooo close. Brooks itz just solid as a rock

Acuña’s Bat Flip
08-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Unbelievable finish for Tiger! It seemed like Brooks gave Tiger the cold shoulder when he was congratulating him.

NinersSBChamps
08-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Soooo close. Brooks itz just solid as a rock

And chiseled like a rock as well.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
08-12-2018, 08:34 PM
He would fit in with the Brewers team of OL for sure!

The Chosen One
08-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Unbelievable finish for Tiger! It seemed like Brooks gave Tiger the cold shoulder when he was congratulating him.

Probably a bit bitter most of the gallery were surrounding and gravitating to whatever hole Tiger was at. I think CBS showed Brooks at 16 when Tiger was at 17 and the gallery for Brooks was so small you wouldnt have known the guy was a 2 time major winner and atop the leaderboard. Meanwhile Tiger's gallery loops deep around the green and extends all the way to the fairway.

NinersSBChamps
08-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Good to see Brooks get it done again. Even better to see Woods not win.

The Chosen One
08-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Good to see Brooks get it done again. Even better to see Woods not win.

https://i.redd.it/4vhd9872fyf11.jpg

NinersSBChamps
08-14-2018, 10:10 AM
https://i.redd.it/4vhd9872fyf11.jpg

Shocking. A bunch of fair weather fans gathering up to watch him make a charge and fall short.

Carp
08-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Tiger is an all time great. But this is probably as close as he ever gets again. The field now is just way better overall than when Tiger was at his best.

The Chosen One
08-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Shocking. A bunch of fair weather fans gathering up to watch him make a charge and fall short.

It's no different than Jordan being old and playing with Wizards and selling out arenas on the road. People want to see a legend play once more. And the fact Tiger turned back the clock 15 years the way he was playing.

Runnin
08-15-2018, 12:53 AM
Tiger is an all time great. But this is probably as close as he ever gets again. The field now is just way better overall than when Tiger was at his best.

The field is maybe better but Tiger is still Tiger and he's as good as anyone in "the field". I don't see the reasoning behind saying "this is probably as close as he ever gets". He's finished near the top in the last 2 majors. He needs to win a tournament, any tournament, to break thru that wall. He still has a 10 or 15 year window to play winning golf in today's tour. I just wonder if he ever learns how to hit his driver straight.

Runnin
09-23-2018, 10:02 PM

https://image-cdn.hypb.st/https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F09%2F tiger-woods-wins-pga-tour-championship-twfb-1.jpg?w=960&cbr=1&q=90&fit=max

Runnin
09-23-2018, 10:05 PM

The field was the top 30 money winners and he whipped them easily. Very impressive.

Carp
09-24-2018, 08:42 AM
The field was the top 30 money winners and he whipped them easily. Very impressive.

It's very impressive, particularly at his age. But it's not a major.

Runnin
09-24-2018, 09:49 AM
It's very impressive, particularly at his age. But it's not a major.

Meaning?

Runnin
09-24-2018, 09:59 PM
Good article -Tiger has done what many of us thought he would never do again. So, what’s next? (https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/09/23/now-that-tiger-won-again-whats-next/)

— Woods was his old, intimidating self. He arrived at East Lake looking like he was coming straight from a Navy SEALs killhouse, in assassin’s shades and a sleeveless shirt that showed off his bulging biceps. He showed up on the 1st tee in a throwback blood red polo, and then played three perfect shots for a birdie that extended his lead and announced his intentions. ...

The fire hydrant, the 85 at Memorial, chip-yips, a DUI, hacked naked photos, shooting pains that brought him to his knees between the ropes, the layup on the 72nd hole at Valspar, the back-nine bogies at Carnoustie…you could see all of that in Tiger’s watery eyes. The fans were feeling it, too: The madcap scene at East Lake looked more like a religious revival than a golf tournament.

The Chosen One
04-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Tiger is about to do this. Holy ****.

thewupk
04-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Tiger is about to do this. Holy ****.

He looks poised as ****. Everyone else looks scared. Young guys finally feeling what it was like to play 15 years ago.

The Chosen One
04-14-2019, 01:02 PM
He looks poised as ****. Everyone else looks scared. Young guys finally feeling what it was like to play 15 years ago.

At the PGA last year, It was Tiger chasing Brooks who wouldn't give an inch. Now Tiger is relentless. Brooks was about to tee off and had to stop because of the Tiger Roar on the next hole over.

thewupk
04-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Tiger woods yall

thethe
04-14-2019, 01:36 PM
One the best sporting events in the last 25 years. Amazing.

The Chosen One
04-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Hot damn if I wasnt nervous he was gonna three putt that 18th and have to play Brooks in a playoff.

Runnin
04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Tiger says eff all you mother*******! He's a MAJOR winner again.

In case anyone isn't sure, what he just did was extremely difficult. It took a lot of backbone and focus to pull out of that pack on the back nine.

He won that by guts, experience and patience. I have no idea what happened to him on the 2nd shot on 18 - maybe a limb was in his way and he tried to go over it, but the wind was in his face.

Carp
04-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Awesome to see. I went to yesterday's round and he was completely dialed in, alomg with several others. It's a shame weather robbed us of an incredible final round, but still, it was probably the best major tournament in recent memory. Glad to see Tiger win it, though I was pulling for Brooks.

NinersSBChamps
04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Fair weather golf fans unite.

thewupk
04-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Fair weather golf fans unite.

Haha. I only watch when tiger is in the hunt on a major.

The Chosen One
04-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Haha. I only watch when tiger is in the hunt on a major.

Same. Even when Spieth and Rory were winning majors it just wasn't the same. I mean Speith came close to winning the first three majors that one year. But he has since been pretty meh.

Koepka is probably closest thing we've had to matching Tiger. Power and iceman mental game.

NinersSBChamps
04-14-2019, 02:44 PM
I am not an Eldrick fan nor am I a hater. I don’t care one way or the other. The excitement level is a lot higher when he’s involved and really in contention. I have become a fan of golf the last few years and it’s not because of Tiger. Today was awesome because there were at any given time at least three golfers who had a legit chance to stake their claim. Ultimately they died off and Tiger did what he needed to. Good day for golf and great day for Tiger.

The Chosen One
04-14-2019, 04:20 PM
I am not an Eldrick fan nor am I a hater. I don’t care one way or the other. The excitement level is a lot higher when he’s involved and really in contention. I have become a fan of golf the last few years and it’s not because of Tiger. Today was awesome because there were at any given time at least three golfers who had a legit chance to stake their claim. Ultimately they died off and Tiger did what he needed to. Good day for golf and great day for Tiger.

I mean Tiger adapted to the conditions though. The guys like Brooks and Moli that found the water didn't adapt to the greens and conditions.

It's not like Tiger wasnt playing aggressive today.

Just great to see the guys like Brooks and Fowler going nuts to see their idol win. Tiger is responsible for the power game in golf today.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
04-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Congrats Tiger, a fine representative of Braves Country!

Heyward
04-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Hot damn if I wasnt nervous he was gonna three putt that 18th and have to play Brooks in a playoff.

If they had a playoff and Brooks won, he'd probably be the most hated golfer in the world. But glad Tiger held on, great for golf he won a major.

The Chosen One
04-14-2019, 06:39 PM
If they had a playoff and Brooks won, he'd probably be the most hated golfer in the world. But glad Tiger held on, great for golf he won a major.

Still would probably be Patrick Reed.

NinersSBChamps
06-14-2019, 11:00 AM
It’s 2019. How can’t they televise early tee times for a major!

Runnin
02-24-2021, 09:40 PM
"Purely an accident", my ass. It was a case of speeding and reckless driving, at the very least. He's lucky he didn't kill two or three people.

Runnin
06-07-2021, 05:26 AM
Any thoughts on Jon Rahm? Not being vaccinated turned into a big bummer for him. Some think if he were a big American star, like say Lebron, the PGA would've relaxed to accommodate his screw up.

Tapate50
06-07-2021, 07:10 AM
I doubt it, but people like to stir the pot

Krgrecw
06-07-2021, 10:12 PM
Why couldn’t he golf by himself?

Runnin
06-10-2021, 06:45 PM
Why couldn’t he golf by himself?

PGA Tour guidelines mandated that Rahm withdraw from the tournament immediately and go into isolation for 10 days. At this point, Rahm can leave isolation on June 15, which is the Tuesday of U.S. Open week.