PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Free Agent Targets

rico43
03-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Just spend a while running down the list of 2019 free agents that is being heralded as so dang deep. While there's no telling what the money will look like in lieu of a) the grievance and b) Altuve getting a $30 per year extension, I could only come up with two logical moves the Braves should and could make.

1) Craig Kimbrel. No brainer. Braves have already shown their hand.

2) Manny Machado. He will get crazy money, but if I am the Braves, and considering he's only 25, I might go eight years and well north of $200 million. But I still don't think they get him. If not, then the much-discussed Josh Donaldson figures to be on the table. But I am projecting Machado at shortstop and Swanson as a failed project.

3) As far as starting pitchers go, I'd rather they extend Julio that sign one.

Of course, it's early. But I'm bored.

Oklahomabrave
03-24-2018, 07:02 PM
I’m interested in Grandal.

Enscheff
03-24-2018, 07:19 PM
The Braves will not be signing either Kimbrel or Machado. Extending Teheran as he declines even further would be extemely foolish.

bravesfanforlife88
03-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Grandal, Pollock, wainwright (I’d like to see us have an experienced anchor in the rotation with postseason experience) maybe a 1 or 2 year deal

Acuña, Inciarte, and Pollock would make a great outfield

CJ9
03-24-2018, 08:04 PM
I’m intrigued by Keuchel, but the injuries during the last two years would probably keep me from paying what it would take.

Freshmaker
03-24-2018, 08:13 PM
The Braves will not be signing either Kimbrel or Machado. Extending Teheran as he declines even further would be extemely foolish.

While I'd of course love a Kimbrel return, I don't see us getting him either unless he really wants to come back. We already have Arodys and Minter for a (potentially pending Minter's development) solid 8/9 combo. Given Liberty's complete lack of interest in spending actual money on players, $10M+ for Kimbrel seems highly unlikely.

nsacpi
03-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Minty Hippo is gonna be the lefty Kimbrel

msstate7
03-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Minty Hippo is gonna be the lefty Kimbrel

We won’t need Kimbrel with minter, lindgren, and clouse

Skeeter31
03-24-2018, 09:08 PM
As much as I love Kimbrel, the Braves better not waste the amount of money it will take to sign him.

UNCBlue012
03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
We have to at least step up, grow some balls and spend the big money on one free agent.

Enscheff
03-25-2018, 08:32 AM
While I'd of course love a Kimbrel return, I don't see us getting him either unless he really wants to come back. We already have Arodys and Minter for a (potentially pending Minter's development) solid 8/9 combo. Given Liberty's complete lack of interest in spending actual money on players, $10M+ for Kimbrel seems highly unlikely.

Kimbrel will be looking at Jansen-money if he puts up his usual season in 2018. That’s 5/80, or an AAV of $15M+.

Tapate50
03-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Maybe. The FA period we just sat through makes me pause a bit projecting FA for relievers with mileage.

I think Machado likely gets 300 easily.

Want no part of a JT extension as we have likely seen him start his decline phase.

Hudson2
03-25-2018, 09:42 AM
3 things I’d do next offseason.

1. Go hard after Donaldson
2. Use our prospect surplus to go after one of Archer or Fulmer
3. Sign Grandal

At some point we have to go for it and that should be next offseason. Our best pitching prospects will be ready and we will know all we need to on Riley.

CrimeDog247
03-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Grandal, Pollock, wainwright (I’d like to see us have an experienced anchor in the rotation with postseason experience) maybe a 1 or 2 year deal

Acuña, Inciarte, and Pollock would make a great outfield

Wainwright is washed up, let's think a little deeper than that. Bumgarner would be one I'd be interested in signing.

nsacpi
03-25-2018, 10:42 AM
If I had to pick the free agent we are most likely to target next off-season it would be Moose. Donaldon is a real possibility too if we manage the risk/reward of his decline years.

Enscheff
03-25-2018, 10:45 AM
If the Braves have to spend money to sign a FA SP that’s more expensive than a 1 year stopgap, then the rebuild hasn’t produced enough pitching to contend anyways.

The Braves will need to find good players for LF, 3b and C. They should have around $60M to make that happen.

One of Flowers or Grandal will almost certainly be signed, and will take up $10M+.

If Riley continues to show progress, I expect the Braves to sign next offseason’s version of Nunez or Frazier. If he doesn’t I think AA will make a solid push for Donaldson. If the Braves are going to drop $125M+ to a FA, it’s going to be Donaldson.

LF should be filled with the best possible bat the Braves can afford, even if it requires cashing in some prospect capital to make it happen. No idea who might be available in trade, but I expect them to be shopping in the Cutch, Pollock, Blackmon aisle of the OF FA market.

The Braves have the resources to open the 2019 season with a rotation projected for ~12 wins, an OF projected for ~8 wins, and an IF projected for ~12 wins without Donaldson, and ~15 with him.

Hudson2
03-25-2018, 11:34 AM
You could trade Teheran to free up extra money if we had to. Pushing it towards 70 million available. Donaldson would chew up 25 of that, Grandal 10, and Blackmon probably 17-18. That would still leave around 15-18 million to fill out the rest of the roster.

bravesfanforlife88
03-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Wainwright is washed up, let's think a little deeper than that. Bumgarner would be one I'd be interested in signing.

I’d rather not dump that amount of money into a pitcher when we have a ton of good pitching prospects.

Heyward
03-25-2018, 02:54 PM
I dont think they get in the Machado bidding war even though i would since he's still super young.

Wouldnt extend Julio with the pitchers coming up soon.

Kimbrel or a RP for huge money isnt smart.

Donaldson probably depends how Riley develops, as well as how Swanson does to some extent. There's some other outfielders out there who will cost money but not 100+ million, never know with so many teams shy to spend this winter however.

AerchAngel
03-25-2018, 03:16 PM
3 things I’d do next offseason.

1. Go hard after Donaldson
2. Use our prospect surplus to go after one of Archer or Fulmer
3. Sign Grandal

At some point we have to go for it and that should be next offseason. Our best pitching prospects will be ready and we will know all we need to on Riley.

The Don is on the wrong side of 30 and probably declining and not worth the 30 mil he would want.

pass

Southcack77
03-25-2018, 08:17 PM
I’m having trouble finding realistic targets for Atlanta in next year’s free agent class.

clvclv
03-25-2018, 08:42 PM
I’m having trouble finding realistic targets for Atlanta in next year’s free agent class.

This is why I was so big on going after Moustakas THIS winter - even if you'd signed him to a backloaded deal. You'd have gone through at least one year of it this season while Riley's trying to work on finishing touches, and possibly even two years of it if AA's serious about taking his time.

By that point, the NL may even have the DH.

Sure would've made 2018 a whole lot more interesting - especially if you need to slide Camargo over to send Dansby back down at some point.

Southcack77
03-25-2018, 10:22 PM
This is why I was so big on going after Moustakas THIS winter - even if you'd signed him to a backloaded deal. You'd have gone through at least one year of it this season while Riley's trying to work on finishing touches, and possibly even two years of it if AA's serious about taking his time.

By that point, the NL may even have the DH.

Sure would've made 2018 a whole lot more interesting - especially if you need to slide Camargo over to send Dansby back down at some point.

I see Moose as a not-young, middling defender who is a year removed from a careeer year at the plate that looks more like an outlier than a breakout. In short, I wouldn’t want my team to commit to him long term.

rico43
03-26-2018, 03:22 AM
With his arm history, I make no long-term projections about Viz. Minter is Venters 2.0, but he, too, already has one TJ to his account. Kimbrel has always been healthy as a horse and there are back-channel hints that he would do his part to come home. Clouse needs to face hitters at the highest levels; wish he had been a spring invitee for that reason.

Some speculation that Folty's future is that of a long reliever is interesting. If he doesn't know that he's pitching day to day, maybe he can outgrow his anxiety.

Skeeter31
03-26-2018, 06:42 AM
With his arm history, I make no long-term projections about Viz. Minter is Venters 2.0, but he, too, already has one TJ to his account. Kimbrel has always been healthy as a horse and there are back-channel hints that he would do his part to come home. Clouse needs to face hitters at the highest levels; wish he had been a spring invitee for that reason.

Some speculation that Folty's future is that of a long reliever is interesting. If he doesn't know that he's pitching day to day, maybe he can outgrow his anxiety.

But kimbrel is one torn ulnar ligament away from being done. And to sink the amount of money into an aging relief pitcher who could break at any moment doesn’t seem like a good deal to me. I’d rather stick with the young guys we have and try to turn some of the failed starters into relievers.

Carp
03-26-2018, 07:38 AM
You could trade Teheran to free up extra money if we had to. Pushing it towards 70 million available. Donaldson would chew up 25 of that, Grandal 10, and Blackmon probably 17-18. That would still leave around 15-18 million to fill out the rest of the roster.

I don't see anyway Grandal gets less than 15 million per if he hits the open market and has a season similar to last year.

Enscheff
03-26-2018, 09:39 AM
I don't see anyway Grandal gets less than 15 million per if he hits the open market and has a season similar to last year.

You may be right. Mac got 17 per season, and that deal will be 5 years old by then.

Heyward
03-26-2018, 09:48 AM

Braves have like 38.2 mil in projected contracts pre-arb per Cots, they'll have to spend it on something.

Could be more if they trade Julio mid-season.

Southcack77
03-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Braves have like 38.2 mil in projected contracts pre-arb per Cots, they'll have to spend it on something.

I'd be curious to see folks spell out what they think is a realistic best case for the Braves this offseason. Donaldson seems to the guy for most people and I guess it is an affordable risk for this moment in time, but how long do you have to guarantee.

Frankly, I think top of the rotation pitching is the biggest need on the squad and I could totally justify that expense, but that seems relatively unlikely given the lack of real candidates out there. Kershaw isn't happening I would not think and I don't know that anyone wants to be paying Gio or Cole Hamels like an ace.

I'm not sure you want to pay Blackmon center fielder batting champion with power money to bring his relatively average road splits to left field. Pollock is interesting except that he's either going to cast doubt on his abilities or ratchet up his price this year. You can pay McCutcheon, Adam Jones, Michael Brantley, Carlos Gomez for their decline years? Maybe one of those contracts falls to you?

So maybe something like Josh Donaldson, Adam Jones, Flowers, and one or two mid range relievers and perhaps an aging veteran starter to fill out the rotation. That's maybe getting past the budget really.

Jaw
03-26-2018, 11:28 AM
My hope is that a lot of the available cash is used to lock up some of the young studs, and then the remainder is used to fill needs through trades from teams looking to upgrade via free agency. I don't keep up with things enough to know what possibilities are out there for 3B/LF/catchers that other teams may be willing to move on from. I'm sure someone else here does. The long term budget restraints dismiss any possibility of a big long term signing, but the last 2 or 3 years of declining 3-4 WAR players should fit at positions of need.

Heyward
03-26-2018, 11:37 AM
I'd be curious to see folks spell out what they think is a realistic best case for the Braves this offseason. Donaldson seems to the guy for most people and I guess it is an affordable risk for this moment in time, but how long do you have to guarantee.

Frankly, I think top of the rotation pitching is the biggest need on the squad and I could totally justify that expense, but that seems relatively unlikely given the lack of real candidates out there. Kershaw isn't happening I would not think and I don't know that anyone wants to be paying Gio or Cole Hamels like an ace.

I'm not sure you want to pay Blackmon center fielder batting champion with power money to bring his relatively average road splits to left field. Pollock is interesting except that he's either going to cast doubt on his abilities or ratchet up his price this year. You can pay McCutcheon, Adam Jones, Michael Brantley, Carlos Gomez for their decline years? Maybe one of those contracts falls to you?

So maybe something like Josh Donaldson, Adam Jones, Flowers, and one or two mid range relievers and perhaps an aging veteran starter to fill out the rotation. That's maybe getting past the budget really.

I'd try to lock up young players like Acuna and Albies, and maybe someone else if one emerges, but even then the Braves have alot of money to spend.

thewupk
03-26-2018, 11:43 AM
I'd try to lock up young players like Acuna and Albies, and maybe someone else if one emerges, but even then the Braves have alot of money to spend.

Any extensions to our young guys won't pay them big bucks until years down the road. The money we have next year will be to go next years team.

50PoundHead
03-26-2018, 11:44 AM

Hessman is available.

clvclv
03-26-2018, 03:51 PM

Donaldson is the obvious target, but the question really is whether the higher-up brass actually is willing to pony-up the dollars for a top-end of the market deal - they certainly haven't been before.

For the sake of this exercise, let's assume AA gets the go-ahead and can get Donaldson for something in the vicinity of 5 years/$125 million. That pushes the spoken-for guarantees to around $64 million. If they play on Donaldson, they're not likely to play on Grandal, so you give Flowers something like 2 years and $16 million and allow Suzuki to walk and hope A-Jax continues to improve. Now you're at ~ $72 million. As you mention, you're also not likely to play at the high-end of the SP market unless a TOR guy not named Kershaw falls into your lap, so if you get a relatively healthy season out of McCarthy (between 20-25 starts), exercising the $8 million club option you have over him looks like a bit of a no-brainer - even if Folty, Newcomb, and Soroka take steps forward and are in the rotation conversation, he certainly wouldn't be awful to keep around as depth. That puts you at roughly $80 million spent with 6 legitimate MLB-level SPs (Gohara, Julio, Folty, McCarthy, Newcomb, Soroka) with Wright and possibly Allard likely beginning to bang on the door. Make a run at signing Albies to a Ketel Marte-like deal, say 5 years/$31.5 million with two option years that could push the deal to $59.5 million ($1 million bonus - $1 million, $1.50 million, $4 million, $6 million, $8 million, $10 million with $13 and $15 million options). Now you're at ~$82 million. Call Cashman and offer to take the final year of Gardner's deal off their books if he'll trade him for something "fair" ($12.5 million) to avoid paying for 3-4 decline years from McCutchen or Jones - while buying yourself enough time for Riley to finish developing and to transition him to LF.

That puts you at roughly $95 million spent. Use another $10-ish million to add the best relievers you can get in that price range (even just one if you can get one of the Ramos/Herrera ilk on a 2 year deal) and use whatever other resources you have to pay for renewals/arb raises and see what type of range you'd be looking at to lock Acuna up to an early deal and secure a free-agent year or two.

Hudson2
03-26-2018, 05:29 PM
If you get Donaldson and Flowers or Grandal then the prospects are there to make a splash for Archer or Fulmer. A TOR starter won’t be signed it’ll be traded for.

Enscheff
03-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Something like this is what I’m thinking. If they don’t go Donaldson at 3b I expect more to be spent in LF.

It’s hard to foresee who next offseason’s Yelich/Ozuna will be, but the Braves will almost certainly be players for them too.

If they spend any significant amount of resources on a SP, something has gone so wrong with the rebuild they won’t be competitive in 2019 no matter what moves they make.

Tapate50
03-26-2018, 08:42 PM
The Giants need to rebuild, I’d be pretty stoked at the idea of Posey.

Seattle has a few pieces if they tore it down, but that gm seems more likely to double down

Russ2dollas
03-26-2018, 10:55 PM
They like Riley. Riley could be 3b ot a corner.

Ideally they would find a lh elite bat. Is there anyone other than Harper?

I think catcher, 2 relief pitchers and extensions. Likely one big trade. With all of the young pitching it would be nice to have some good multi inning to. Doubt they pay for Miller.

Russ2dollas
03-26-2018, 11:00 PM
Something like this is what I’m thinking. If they don’t go Donaldson at 3b I expect more to be spent in LF.

It’s hard to foresee who next offseason’s Yelich/Ozuna will be, but the Braves will almost certainly be players for them too.

If they spend any significant amount of resources on a SP, something has gone so wrong with the rebuild they won’t be competitive in 2019 no matter what moves they make.

I agree on sp. but they seemed obsessed with a starter trade.

Soroka
Gohara
Wright
Tehran
McCarthy has a cheap option
Newcombe
Folty

Even if they trade and move some to the pen they should be pretty good at sp.

Soroka I feel good about being a solid starter at worst.
Same thing with Wright
Gohara if healthy
Newcombe and folty....likely one is a very good 5
Tehran and mcarthy are both solid 3/4.

We will have to make a trade just to free up 40 man

UNCBlue012
03-27-2018, 05:46 AM
I've said this now for two years, but I'd make a big trade for a legit, no doubt, top of the rotation starter and use that as hopeful bait to lure a big-time free agent bat.

Add the arm and bat plus our young guys and I think we're in a REALLY good place.

I do love Tapate's suggestion on Posey. If there is any realistic way to snag him without selling the farm, I'm all in and a starter can wait. lol

Realistically, we'll get Mous or Kimbrel, though.

Enscheff
03-27-2018, 10:57 AM
The Posey idea has merit if the Giants decide to blow things up. Bumgarner too, though I’d be surprised if they dump resources into a SP.

bravesfanforlife88
03-27-2018, 11:08 AM
The Giants need to rebuild, I’d be pretty stoked at the idea of Posey.

Seattle has a few pieces if they tore it down, but that gm seems more likely to double down

It will be interesting to see what they do. For example, if the all star break comes around and they are way out of it, do they go ahead and blow it up at that point? Do you see Longoria, McCutchen, etc. moved there. Then they move to other pieces such as Posey in the off season?

The Posey move makes too much sense for us to make so I doubt it will happen.;...Ga kid, position of need,.....yeah we don't need that

Tapate50
03-27-2018, 11:49 AM
A friend of a friend told me he’d take a pay cut to play here. Grew up a Braves fan and all.

50PoundHead
03-27-2018, 11:57 AM
I don't know why we would go after Kimbrel. I know the 2018 budget is strapped, but wouldn't it make just as much sense to wait until the QO penalty deadline passed and sign Holland?

Southcack77
03-27-2018, 03:50 PM
I don't know why we would go after Kimbrel. I know the 2018 budget is strapped, but wouldn't it make just as much sense to wait until the QO penalty deadline passed and sign Holland?

I think Holland is the type of reliever that might fall into the Braves orbit for next season, but can't see them really signing him in June unless they are doing a lot better than expected.

Heyward
03-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Posey is 31 and signed for awhile and might have to move to 1B soon.

Meh, Giants could blow it up though, eventually they will.

Enscheff
06-07-2018, 05:22 PM
MLBTR just updated their Top 10 FAs: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/2018-19-mlb-free-agent-power-rankings-2.html

The talk of Grandal getting a deal in range of Mac's 5/85 makes me not want the Braves to sign him. I'd be fine with another 1-2 years of the Flowers/Suzuki duo.

Assuming none of the SPs or Kimbrel are realistic targets, and that a spot will be held open for Riley (and Donaldson falling victim to aging and injury), the only guy on the list that makes sense is Pollock.

Dude always gets hurt on injuries that should be considered freak injuries individually, but the track record certainly speaks for itself. Breaking bones isn't chronic like soft tissue injuries, but when you break a bone every year it becomes a bit of a pattern.

Pollock is a very hard player to value. How much do you ding him for his injury history? How much CF premium do you pay for a guy who will almost assuredly play LF the majority of his innings while Ender is on the roster? Is it OK to pay that CF premium if the idea is to give him time in CF and limit Inciarte's exposure to LHers?

He will be going into his age 31 season, and you have to figure Cain's 5/80 contract is very much a reasonable comp. Cain was a bit older, but also a lot more durable.

So with nowhere else to spend huge money, would the Braves give Pollock $15M-$18M per year? It might be the best upgrade they can make. An OF of Pollock/Inciarte/Acuna/Tucker is certainly a group to get excited about.

TURBO
06-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Question for you based on your info. What should the Braves do this offseason? Legit question. I dont want them to spend money on someone thats not worth it, just because they have it to spend. Obviously better then just holding on to the moeny and doing nothing with it. Seems like a tough situation.

Enscheff
06-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Question for you based on your info. What should the Braves do this offseason? Legit question. I dont want them to spend money on someone thats not worth it, just because they have it to spend. Obviously better then just holding on to the moeny and doing nothing with it. Seems like a tough situation.

I'm hoping 3+ win corner OFer with 2-3 years of control becomes available via trade, and he has so little surplus value that he doesn't cost must in terms of prospects to acquire.

Barring that, I think I would find a short term option at 3B, get Flowers back, push for Pollock, and then grab whichever legit BP arm is sitting there late in the off season.

TheBravos
06-07-2018, 07:29 PM
MLBTR just updated their Top 10 FAs: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/2018-19-mlb-free-agent-power-rankings-2.html

The talk of Grandal getting a deal in range of Mac's 5/85 makes me not want the Braves to sign him. I'd be fine with another 1-2 years of the Flowers/Suzuki duo.

Assuming none of the SPs or Kimbrel are realistic targets, and that a spot will be held open for Riley (and Donaldson falling victim to aging and injury), the only guy on the list that makes sense is Pollock.

Dude always gets hurt on injuries that should be considered freak injuries individually, but the track record certainly speaks for itself. Breaking bones isn't chronic like soft tissue injuries, but when you break a bone every year it becomes a bit of a pattern.

Pollock is a very hard player to value. How much do you ding him for his injury history? How much CF premium do you pay for a guy who will almost assuredly play LF the majority of his innings while Ender is on the roster? Is it OK to pay that CF premium if the idea is to give him time in CF and limit Inciarte's exposure to LHers?

He will be going into his age 31 season, and you have to figure Cain's 5/80 contract is very much a reasonable comp. Cain was a bit older, but also a lot more durable.

So with nowhere else to spend huge money, would the Braves give Pollock $15M-$18M per year? It might be the best upgrade they can make. An OF of Pollock/Inciarte/Acuna/Tucker is certainly a group to get excited about.

Pollock makes the most sense, but I don’t want him for five years. Four years would be the most and I would rather give him more
money on a three year deal.

TheBravos
06-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Posey is 31 and signed for awhile and might have to move to 1B soon.

Meh, Giants could blow it up though, eventually they will.

Posey signed thru 2021 with a club option (3 mil buyout) for 2022. He will be 34 at the end of 2021...Kurt Suzuki’s age right now.

Carp
06-07-2018, 08:34 PM
Not much on the FA marker I'm interested in, other than Pipe dreams like Machado and Harper. May be a veteran or 2 on a short deal, but not much else.

Much rather go the trade route. Starling Marte seems like he could be the big prize on the trade market this off-season.

nsacpi
06-07-2018, 09:03 PM

the plan should be to acquire some good players on contracts with limited surplus value...that has the virtue of limiting the damage to our farm system

ixiXSolidXixi
06-07-2018, 09:10 PM
I believe Alex will sign some players like Zach Britton if healthy. He will continue developing our own players. Save some money for the trade deadline of 2019 and beyond. Riley will be our third base. Markakis will sign one more year until Pache is ready. Those are the type of move the team need to make until we feel the window is wide open to make a push.

Russ2dollas
06-08-2018, 06:59 AM
I think we are most likely to make trades that take on money than to sign fa outright.

I’m thinking a Longoria type deal

IslandBrave
06-08-2018, 07:29 AM
I believe Alex will sign some players like Zach Britton if healthy. He will continue developing our own players. Save some money for the trade deadline of 2019 and beyond. Riley will be our third base. Markakis will sign one more year until Pache is ready. Those are the type of move the team need to make until we feel the window is wide open to make a push.

If Markakis keeps hitting (and maybe even if he doesn’t keep up the pace), a team is going to give him a multi year deal. He may love Atlanta, but at some point you think about guaranteed money.

Jaw
06-08-2018, 07:35 AM
I wish we had beaten the Pirates to Corey Dickerson when the Rays DFAd him. He would fit in nicely.

50PoundHead
06-08-2018, 08:15 AM
If Markakis keeps hitting (and maybe even if he doesn’t keep up the pace), a team is going to give him a multi year deal. He may love Atlanta, but at some point you think about guaranteed money.

I haven't had the problem with Markakis that many have and I don't expect him to keep up his performance this year, but there is probably a little more tread on his tires. That said, the market for Nick will be extremely limited. It will be interesting to see how the Braves approach his status in the off-season. I would be surprised if he gets anything more than one year at a rate lower than what he is earning on the current contract. It's a coin flip for me whether the Braves should bring him back.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 08:31 AM
I think we are most likely to make trades that take on money than to sign fa outright.

I’m thinking a Longoria type deal

I agree. To the extent we sign free agents it is unlikely to be the premium guys. More likely candidates would be guys like Flowers and Suzuki.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 08:33 AM
I haven't had the problem with Markakis that many have and I don't expect him to keep up his performance this year, but there is probably a little more tread on his tires. That said, the market for Nick will be extremely limited. It will be interesting to see how the Braves approach his status in the off-season. I would be surprised if he gets anything more than one year at a rate lower than what he is earning on the current contract. It's a coin flip for me whether the Braves should bring him back.

Bringing back Muk on a 1 to 2 year deal would be ok with me. His leadership as head of the Council of Elders is important to this team.

TheBravos
06-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Bringing back Muk on a 1 to 2 year deal would be ok with me. His leadership as head of the Council of Elders is important to this team.

One year only. Pache will be ready in 2020 (probably mid 2019) and one of Waters and Jenista could also be knocking on the door.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
I agree. To the extent we sign free agents it is unlikely to be the premium guys. More likely candidates would be guys like Flowers and Suzuki.

They are going to have spend money in free agency. The optics demand it. Just not sure what it will be.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 09:22 AM
One year only. Pache will be ready in 2020 (probably mid 2019) and one of Waters and Jenista could also be knocking on the door.

Bold projections.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 09:59 AM
They are going to have spend money in free agency. The optics demand it. Just not sure what it will be.

Optics vs being smart. I hope the latter wins out.

TheBravos
06-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Bold projections.

In looking at the way they have handled Riley...not really. To me it depends on if they were to sign say Pollock and/or depending on how Ender is hitting.

If they sign Pollock (or a big free agent)....they aren’t aggressive. If they don’t and sign Nick back...they are aggressive with Pache. Also if Ender doesn’t turn his hitting around.

IF they sign a big free agent (like Pollock) and Ender begins looking like 2017 Ender...then yes...they go much slower.

What draft pick do they loose if they sign someone like Pollock?

The Braves have to be really careful with their draft picks because of International restrictions. I doubt they sign someone that costs them a high pick. Much more likely to make a trade or sign someone like Nick short term and promote Pache as soon as possible.

thewupk
06-08-2018, 10:21 AM

We are the girl with all the money in the world but nobody wants to dance with

Chico
06-08-2018, 10:46 AM
This free agency has been overhyped for years. I like some of the relievers pending costs, but otherwise I see AA doing his usual thing. He doesn't care for free agency and likes to take on money in trades. I expect to see more of the same.

Hudson2
06-08-2018, 10:59 AM
I know paying closers is crazy but Kimbrel on a 4 year deal isn’t crazy if we wanna compete for a WS bc Viz isn’t a closer on a WS caliber team imo. This is contingent on Riley being the 3b to keep cost down of course.

Russ2dollas
06-08-2018, 11:01 AM

I just do not see us signing the big guy.

I think the second round pick of a 3 year college power bat suggests they are not thinking about locking down an OF spot with a 4+ year OF.

I could see them doing something like a trade and extend for Nick Castellanos. I think he has one more year of control and Detroit could be in a rebuild. I thought the Brewers and Braves matched well in the offseason but there wasn't even a published rumor.

I'd love someone like Mazara but he's probably not available and would cost a ton.

It wouldn't shock me if they took on someone like Choo for nothing if they could get the cost down to 10 million. Of course if Neck is willing to sign on for one year and 10-15 you'd do that first, but if he gets a multiyear deal...

I think we will do a flowers/suzuki deal again. Maybe for two years with Jackson falling off.

I still think Moose makes sense on a 1 year deal. Make Riley earn is way up and maybe he can play OF for a year if needed.

I think we will be trading, taking on money in trades, extending etc vs winning bidding wars.

I hope they offer Harper 3/150 but I don't think he'll take it.

I really wish Matt Adams wasn't a total disaster in the OF.

CJ9
06-08-2018, 11:05 AM
A question I never thought I would even consider before the season started ... Is Nick Markakis worthy of a qualifying offer?

Orphan Black
06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
A question I never thought I would even consider before the season started ... Is Nick Markakis worthy of a qualifying offer?

I'm guessing no...he would likely accept it.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Chances are Muk will be worth about 1 win the rest of the way in. In which case, he will not be getting a QO.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 11:45 AM

heck no. I doubt his next salary will be as high as this season's salary.

mfree80
06-08-2018, 11:52 AM
We are the girl with all the money in the world but nobody wants to dance with

I hope we are the the girl who is picky about who she dances with. The one who only dances with the guys who could change her life for the better, not the guys who will show her a good time, but are not really committed.

TheBravos
06-08-2018, 12:05 PM
This free agency has been overhyped for years. I like some of the relievers pending costs, but otherwise I see AA doing his usual thing. He doesn't care for free agency and likes to take on money in trades. I expect to see more of the same.

This is why I love AA. He is smart enough to see that the only way we keep this team together is having payroll flexibility in the future. You go max our payroll out next year with free agents and we’ll see our young stars leave one by one.

We sign our young stars like we did with Freeman. Make good signings on young guys with upside. Make a trade when needed. Only then can we sustain a winning team without a rebuild.

I’m so impressed with him that he held onto all our prospects and didn’t make ONE “I’m the new GM, so I have to make a big splash” move. He is the perfect GM for this next phase.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 12:12 PM
This is why I love AA. He is smart enough to see that the only way we keep this team together is having payroll flexibility in the future. You go max our payroll out next year with free agents and we’ll see our young stars leave one by one.

We sign our young stars like we did with Freeman. Make good signings on young guys with upside. Make a trade when needed. Only then can we sustain a winning team without a rebuild.

I’m so impressed with him that he held onto all our prospects and didn’t make ONE “I’m the new GM, so I have to make a big splash” move. He is the perfect GM for this next phase.

I'm hoping AA turns out to be a less is more GM.

Carp
06-08-2018, 12:12 PM
We finally have the money. I'd love to see us go big. It doesn't happen often with teams with our projected payroll range, but it does happen. With the youth of this team and core hitters locked up for 3 years or more, it would be prime opportunity to sign an elite FA.

Chico
06-08-2018, 12:38 PM
We finally have the money. I'd love to see us go big. It doesn't happen often with teams with our projected payroll range, but it does happen. With the youth of this team and core hitters locked up for 3 years or more, it would be prime opportunity to sign an elite FA.

Which one?

Assuming the reality that Harper/Machado is not happening

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 12:48 PM
What is the Machado contract realistically going to look like?

I am going to will this into happening.

thewupk
06-08-2018, 12:49 PM
What is the Machado contract realistically going to look like?

I am going to will this into happening.

10/350 as the floor

TheBravos
06-08-2018, 12:58 PM
10/350 as the floor

And in three years when we are paying him 35 mil a year (FOR ANOTHER SEVEN YEARS)....we won’t have the money to lock up any of our young stars due contracts. No thanks.

Enscheff
06-08-2018, 12:59 PM
10/350 as the floor

With 2-3 opt outs.

cajunrevenge
06-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Bring back the Kimbrel as a gesture of goodwill to the fans.

thewupk
06-08-2018, 01:10 PM
And in three years when we are paying him 35 mil a year (FOR ANOTHER SEVEN YEARS)....we won’t have the money to lock up any of our young stars due contracts. No thanks.

There are a couple of things in play here. If the payroll goes up like we want the Braves should be able to afford two 25+ per year guys. Freeman will also be off the books in a few years as well. Hopefully we can extend Acuna and Albies a few years into FA where we aren't playing them primo prices so that would buy the team some time as well.

It's a big gamble but Machado has always been 'the guy' to me for awhile now.

The other route is to sign guys on the backend of their prime to big but short term deals. Pollock would fit that role but you'd almost certainly overpay him due to him likely not playing center here.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 01:21 PM

Free Agents:

Brandon McCarthy *Club Option $8m
Nick Markakis
Tyler Flowers
Kurt Suzuki
Anibal Sanchez
Peter Bourjous
Ryan Flaherty
Peter Moylan

Julio Teheran *Club Option $12m
Arodys Vizcaino
Rex Brothers

Phil Gosselin
Sam Freeman
Dan Winkler

Freddie Freeman
Ender Inciarte *Club option $9m
Mike Folty
Charlie Culberson

Dansby Swanson
Jose Ramirez
Preston Tucker (maybe)
Matt Wisler
Josh Ravin
Socolovich (maybe)
Luke Jackson (maybe)

Ozzie Albies
Newcomb
Gohara (maybe)
Fried (maybe)
Carle
Minter

Acuna
Soroka (maybe)

Braves got a ways before they have to worry about signing up anybody young.

Worrying about arbitration dollars creeping up is their biggest concern as far as signing a big deal in the relative short term.

If you have them letting Folty, Newcomb and Freddie go it's all way down the road.

Enscheff
06-08-2018, 01:38 PM
The only plausible way the Braves can bring Harper/Machado aboard is to front load a 10-12 year deal so heavily that they are almost guaranteed to opt out after 2-3 years. Something like $35M-$40M per year for 2-3 years, then a couple opt outs, then $25M-$30M per year for the remaining 7-10 years.

It would be a gigantic gamble that could all but cripple the franchise for a decade, but it sure would be exciting to watch.

At the end of the day, too many teams with a lot more money than the Braves will be bidding way beyond what the Braves can afford. These teams bent over backwards to reset their luxury penalties this past off season for a reason, and it wasn't because they couldn't afford a few million bucks in penalties this year. They went through all that trouble so they could throw money at these 2 players and set MLB contract records in the process.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 01:46 PM
The only plausible way the Braves can bring Harper/Machado aboard is to front load a 10-12 year deal so heavily that they are almost guaranteed to opt out after 2-3 years.

It would be a gigantic gamble that could all but cripple the franchise for a decade, but it sure would be exciting to watch.

At the end of the day, too many teams with a lot more money than the Braves will be bidding way beyond what the Braves can afford. These teams bent over backwards to reset their luxury penalties this past off season for a reason, and it wasn't because they couldn't afford a few million bucks in penalties this year. They went through all that trouble so they could throw money at these 2 players and set MLB contract records in the process.

19 45
20 45
21 45
22 45

Opt out

23 35
24 35
25 35

opt out

26 25
27 25
28 25

?

Super
06-08-2018, 01:50 PM
I get that Harper is young with insane potential still left, but why would we even want to pay him that much? He's already a bad defender in RF

sturg33
06-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Not interested in Harper... Very interested in Machado

thewupk
06-08-2018, 02:05 PM
I get that Harper is young with insane potential still left, but why would we even want to pay him that much? He's already a bad defender in RF

Check his stats since 2016. Good but not what he's hyped up to be. If he gets paid what I think he will get paid then it's based on 2015, #1 draft pick status, and gracing ESPN The Mag at 16.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 02:06 PM

It seems likely that the Yankees will make a big push for Machado and the Dodgers heavy bidders for Harper. Other teams with deep pockets could be in play for one or both of them: Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Phillies, Mariners, Angels, gnats. It doesn't hurt to kick the tires, but at the end of the day we will be smart about this and conclude we do not want to get involved in the bidding on those two.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Cause he's super young and has been an MVP candidate and you could put him in LF.

I'd rather have Machado. Put that right handed bat near Freddie, plug in elite defense at 3B and roll on with his prime years and pray he opts out.

Trade Riley or let him try LF to see if he's a Freddie replacement.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 02:07 PM
19 45
20 45
21 45
22 45

Opt out

23 35
24 35
25 35

opt out

26 25
27 25
28 25

?

not gonna happen

Enscheff
06-08-2018, 02:13 PM
19 45
20 45
21 45
22 45

Opt out

23 35
24 35
25 35

opt out

26 25
27 25
28 25

?

I’m guessing the opt outs come after years 2 and 3, then a 3rd somewhere later. They will want a chance at another record setting payday before they turn 30.

It’s much more likely a team like the Dodgers signs one of them and then trades Puig or Turner to the Braves.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 02:54 PM
not gonna happen

Mike McDermott: I took a risk, I took a risk, you see all the angles, and you never have the ****ing stones to play one
Joey Knish: Stones? you little punk, I'm not playing for the thrill of ****ing victory here, I owe rent, alimony, child support, I play for money, my kids eat, I got stones enough not to chase card actions of ****ing pipe dreams of winning the world series on ESPN, but about the money I've got to turn my back, I've got to say no"

cajunrevenge
06-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Not interested in Harper... Very interested in Machado

Machado says he wont sign with a team unless they let him play SS. So would you go after him if it means trading Swanson. Sounds absurd at first but the idea is growing on me if we somehow could convince Machado to sign with us.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 02:57 PM
not gonna happen

Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: You know why I still hit that shot?
Romeo Posar: Yeah, because it's the only way you could beat Dave Simms.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: No.
Romeo Posar: 'Cause it was that look in your face...
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: I hit it again because that shot was a defining moment, and when a defining moment comes along, you define the moment... or the moment defines you.

Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: Keep shooting pars, asshole!
Dave Simms: I'll take 18 of them, all day long!
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: Do it and I'll own you.

Nice Par, David.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Machado says he wont sign with a team unless they let him play SS. So would you go after him if it means trading Swanson. Sounds absurd at first but the idea is growing on me if we somehow could convince Machado to sign with us.

I don't believe him.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
I will be pissed if the Braves don't go in guns blazing on Machado and stay in until it gets ludicrous.

I don't expect to get him.

I can live with not being in the Harper race, I think. Though I could live with being in it also.

I don't expect to get him either.

this is the one time in the cycle where a franchise like the Braves can have it make sense to do something like this. Machado (my preference) and Harper are pretty perfect fits offensively and defensively. The payroll fits. The lineup of their prime fits.

and honestly, the lineup sort of dictates it. The Braves don't really have a whole lot of positions they need to fill. They don't have room for a lot of reasonably priced veterans. Premium guys is really the place they have to go.

I am not concerned if it means that the Braves won't get to keep Folty, or Newcomb or Acuna or Albies or Soroka forever.

Yes, injuries or decline is a big risk. Roll those dice baby. I'll take on the risk of a 25 year old superstar remaining good and sleep ok. If you do have Machado fail, you still have all the upside that anyone could hope for from the internal options. They'll all still be there. And you can run your Riley and Camargo's out there and maybe it won't even matter a whole lot.

But yeah, probably not going to happen.

CyYoung31
06-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: You know why I still hit that shot?
Romeo Posar: Yeah, because it's the only way you could beat Dave Simms.
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: No.
Romeo Posar: 'Cause it was that look in your face...
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: I hit it again because that shot was a defining moment, and when a defining moment comes along, you define the moment... or the moment defines you.

Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: Keep shooting pars, asshole!
Dave Simms: I'll take 18 of them, all day long!
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: Do it and I'll own you.

Nice Par, David.

Love that movie.

50PoundHead
06-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Free Agents:

Brandon McCarthy *Club Option $8m
Nick Markakis
Tyler Flowers
Kurt Suzuki
Anibal Sanchez
Peter Bourjous
Ryan Flaherty
Peter Moylan

Julio Teheran *Club Option $12m
Arodys Vizcaino
Rex Brothers

Phil Gosselin
Sam Freeman
Dan Winkler

Freddie Freeman
Ender Inciarte *Club option $9m
Mike Folty
Charlie Culberson

Dansby Swanson
Jose Ramirez
Preston Tucker (maybe)
Matt Wisler
Josh Ravin
Socolovich (maybe)
Luke Jackson (maybe)

Ozzie Albies
Newcomb
Gohara (maybe)
Fried (maybe)
Carle
Minter

Acuna
Soroka (maybe)

Braves got a ways before they have to worry about signing up anybody young.

Worrying about arbitration dollars creeping up is their biggest concern as far as signing a big deal in the relative short term.

If you have them letting Folty, Newcomb and Freddie go it's all way down the road.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I hope we can lock down Gosselin past 2021.

Orphan Black
06-08-2018, 05:38 PM
I hope the Braves can resign Flowers and Suzuki for reasonable amounts. Looks like they are going to put up similar numbers to last season this year.

I would love to see Machado on the Braves but I don't see how they can justify have a 1/4 to 1/3 of their payroll on one player.

Hudson2
06-08-2018, 06:18 PM
If ownership saw how close we are to being a serious contender maybe they could approve a Machado deal by bumping by payroll a little extra. First step is locking up Albies and Acuna right after the season.

Orphan Black
06-08-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm curious to see what kind of contract Charlie Morton gets this off season.

Carp
06-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Which one?

Assuming the reality that Harper/Machado is not happening

I know it's extremely unlikely, but both Harper and Machado just match up extremely well with our needs, our timeline, and available budget over the next several seasons. Both are likely guys who will opt out in 3 years anyways, (especially if we front load such a contract).

Pipedream I know, but why not?

Carp
06-08-2018, 07:12 PM

In 3 years he will likely opt out, so it probably won't matter.

Southcack77
06-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Chuckie: Look, you’re my best friend, so don’t take this the wrong way. But in 20 years, if you’re still living here, coming over my house to watch the Patriots games, still working construction… I’ll f*ckin’ kill ya. That’s not a threat. That’s a fact. I’ll f*ckin’ kill ya.

No, no, no. F*ck you. You don’t owe it to yourself. You owe it to me. Cause tomorrow, I’m gonna wake up, and I’ll be 50, and I’ll still be doing this sh*t. That’s alright. That’s fine. I mean, you’re sitting on a winning lottery ticket, and you’re too much of a f*ckin’ pussy to cash it in, and that’s bullsh*t. Cause I’d do f*ckin’ anything to have what you got. So would any of these f*ckin’ guys. Be an insult to us if you’re still here in 20 years. Hanging around here is a f*ckin’ waste of your time.

Let me tell you what I do know. Everyday, I come by your house, and I pick you up. We go out and we have a few drinks and a few laughs, and it’s great. You know what the best part of my day is? About 10 seconds before I pull up to your curb, and when I go to your door. Cause I think maybe I’ll get up there, and I’ll knock on the door, and you won’t be there. No “good-bye.” No “see ya later.” No nothing. You just left. I don’t know much, but I know that.

Heyward
06-09-2018, 06:00 AM
I think we'll use some of our pitching depth for a trade, as for who, that's anyones guess.

But most of them are projected to be ready by 19-20, and not everyone can fit in the rotation or pan out for that matter.

Regarding free agency, i'd say no to Harper, his defense is bad and his bat is very streaky. Machado i'm game for, but he seems destined to be in pinstripes. Other options i like are Grandal (not sold on Zuk or Flowers keeping this up for another year), Pollock or trade for an outfielder like Mazara, and sign an elite bullpen piece like Kimbrel. No way it would happen but if you get Donaldson on a 1 yr +++ deal, i'd do that to keep Riley down for a bit. McCutchen, Puig, Brantley are other possible outfield options.

Morton, Gio, Corbin are probably only intriguing SP options if Braves didnt go in-house. But you could get rid of McCarthy and Julio, and have Soroka, Gohara, Folty, Newk, and maybe Allard if you went all in-house. Stealing Gio from the Nats would be a nice way to round out that rotation.

There's more bullpen options than SP so i could see AA shop there: Britton, Roberston, Kimbrel, Ottavino, Cody Allen, Herrera, Andrew Miller, Madson, Brach, Joe Kelly. I'd hope AA can secure one of those guys.

Heyward
06-09-2018, 06:03 AM
The Posey idea has merit if the Giants decide to blow things up. Bumgarner too, though I’d be surprised if they dump resources into a SP.

Giants just took Joey Bart, have to think Posey could be shopped. He's from Atlanta. His current contract is 22 mil next 3 years from 19-21 and a club option for 2022.

clvclv
06-09-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm curious to see what kind of contract Charlie Morton gets this off season.

A bit of a "perfect storm" brewing in Houston IMO.

Keuchel has struggled and is a free-agent, and Morton has said he's not looking to break IF he continues to pitch. Has said this expiring deal could be his last unless he was in the exact situation he wants.

My guess is they get Morton back on a VERY affordable deal for someone pitching like he is 2-3 years and $30-$45 million and allow Keuchel to walk. They then UPGRADE their rotation by promoting Forrest Whitley (who just went off in his return from a 50 game suspension).

Considering the fact that Keuchel may not even make their playoff roster (and certainly isn't likely to get a start with Verlander, Cole, Morton, and McCullers in front of him), I wouldn't be surprised if they work something out with Morton soon and then trade Keuchel when Whitley gets stretched out a little further.

UNCBlue012
06-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Giants just took Joey Bart, have to think Posey could be shopped. He's from Atlanta. His current contract is 22 mil next 3 years from 19-21 and a club option for 2022. I’d be over-the-moon about acquiring Posey.

Heyward
06-09-2018, 10:24 AM

Keuchel has struggled and is a free-agent, and Morton has said he's not looking to break IF he continues to pitch. Has said this expiring deal could be his last unless he was in the exact situation he wants.

My guess is they get Morton back on a VERY affordable deal for someone pitching like he is 2-3 years and $30-$45 million and allow Keuchel to walk. They then UPGRADE their rotation by promoting Forrest Whitley (who just went off in his return from a 50 game suspension).

Considering the fact that Keuchel may not even make their playoff roster (and certainly isn't likely to get a start with Verlander, Cole, Morton, and McCullers in front of him), I wouldn't be surprised if they work something out with Morton soon and then trade Keuchel when Whitley gets stretched out a little further.

They arent trading Keuchel but he may not be in their playoff rotation, pretty wild to think about.

Next year, Verlander-Cole-Morton-McCullers-Whitley is nasty.

GovClintonTyree
06-09-2018, 12:22 PM
I’d be over-the-moon about acquiring Posey.

One of the things that makes Posey so attractive and good in SF is they move him to 1B to rest his legs, and move Belt to LF. We can't do that. So you wind up sitting him 30 games or wearing him down.

Or hey, we could move Freddie to third those games...

GovClintonTyree
06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

I don't think so. I'd go high on Morton for three years. He's post-hype, post-injury, post-everything and pitching better than he ever has and it doesn't look fluky at all. I'll bet somebody offers him 3-$60M. I'd do it.

clvclv
06-09-2018, 01:14 PM
I don't think so. I'd go high on Morton for three years. He's post-hype, post-injury, post-everything and pitching better than he ever has and it doesn't look fluky at all. I'll bet somebody offers him 3-$60M. I'd do it.

Going to have to be the "perfect situation", and I can't imagine one much better than the one he's in. An "Ace" that doesn't have to deal with the pressure of being the "Ace" on a World Series contender for the entirety of his contract??? Where else is he going to find that? The Astros can certainly afford to pay that if that's what it takes.

Charlie's been quoted many times saying that he's honestly not sure he's going to pitch beyond this season.

Enscheff
06-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Why would you make up a fake quote for your sig?

I wasn’t even on this board in Jan of 2013, and xwOBA wasn’t invented until years later.

Have any more power projections for Albies you’d like to share?

CyYoung31
06-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Why would you make up a fake quote for your sig?

I wasn’t even on this board in Jan of 2013, and xwOBA wasn’t invented until years later.

Have any more power projections for Albies you’d like to share?

In fact, no one was on this board in January of 2013.

Enscheff
06-09-2018, 03:36 PM

It’s beyond pathetic that he would make up a quote in an attempt to make me look wrong.

It’s beyond moronic that he dated it before the board existed, and using stats that weren’t invented at the time.

No wonder he is just a paper pusher haha.

Slippyjms
06-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Since we’re talking about Morton I feel like I just have to throw it out there. How bad was that Nate McLouth deal smh

50PoundHead
06-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Since we’re talking about Morton I feel like I just have to throw it out there. How bad was that Nate McLouth deal smh

It was a now-for-later deal with the now part of the deal that came to us not really working out. Logical trade that didn't work out. I didn't particularly like the deal because I thought McLouth was overrated, but the Braves felt they needed an upgrade in CF.

And lest we forget, Gorkys Hernandez has just finished the best two-plus month stretch of his entire career in San Francisco.

Morton is another exhibit as to why it's important to be patient with pitchers. I don't think anyone could have predicted how well he has pitched since going to Houston, but always had the look of a pitcher who could contribute if he put it all together. I read that early in his career, one of his problems is that he had five workable pitches, but none of them was really top drawer. He has honed it down and has really blossomed.

jpx7
06-09-2018, 06:38 PM
It was a now-for-later deal with the now part of the deal that came to us not really working out. Logical trade that didn't work out. I didn't particularly like the deal because I thought McLouth was overrated, but the Braves felt they needed an upgrade in CF.

And lest we forget, Gorkys Hernandez has just finished the best two-plus month stretch of his entire career in San Francisco.

Morton is another exhibit as to why it's important to be patient with pitchers. I don't think anyone could have predicted how well he has pitched since going to Houston, but always had the look of a pitcher who could contribute if he put it all together. I read that early in his career, one of his problems is that he had five workable pitches, but none of them was really top drawer. He has honed it down and has really blossomed.

Great synopsis. For a long while, it looked like a trade that worked for neither team. Some later-career success, on second or third MLB teams, doesn’t really change the calculus for how Atlanta did in that decision. As you note, it all boils down to how the organization (over)valued McLouth—which, admittedly, I did too, at the time of the swap.

Freshmaker
06-09-2018, 06:57 PM

Pretty nuts that for a good chunk of this season the Giants have had Gorkys and Gregor Blanco as 2/3 of their OF.

NYCBrave
06-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Dude Charlie Morton is 34! He made his debut over a decade ago and really hasn't been good at all until last year. How long should we have waited?? Might I add he's been acused of cheating recently....

GovClintonTyree
06-09-2018, 07:27 PM

Of course not. I just think it's funny. He gets off on slamming people, I can tweak him. It's only "pathetic" and "a travesty" if you take yourself really seriously. Hopefully he'll stop with the "paper pusher" jokes. I'm so wounded, it's making it hard to sleep.

GovClintonTyree
06-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Going to have to be the "perfect situation", and I can't imagine one much better than the one he's in. An "Ace" that doesn't have to deal with the pressure of being the "Ace" on a World Series contender for the entirety of his contract??? Where else is he going to find that? The Astros can certainly afford to pay that if that's what it takes.

Charlie's been quoted many times saying that he's honestly not sure he's going to pitch beyond this season.

No doubt he'd like to stay in Houston but if somebody else put $15-20M more in his pocket he'd have to think about it. I hadn't heard him say he might retire. I can't imagine he's not having fun chopping people up, suddenly an absolute ace after all those years trying to put it together...I think he'll be more of a mind to see how far this train will go.

Enscheff
06-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Of course not. I just think it's funny. He gets off on slamming people, I can tweak him. It's only "pathetic" and "a travesty" if you take yourself really seriously. Hopefully he'll stop with the "paper pusher" jokes. I'm so wounded, it's making it hard to sleep.

It’s pathetic.

Now please, share some more thoughts on Albies power projections, unless you’re too busy going to watch your kid get hammered by players who won’t even play JC ball lol.

Enscheff
06-13-2018, 03:30 PM
If the Braves can't afford Pollock, or don't want to pay for his CF defense in LF, does Brantley make sense?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/free-agent-stock-watch-michael-brantley.html

While Pollock is probably going to get something around LoCain money (5/80), Brantley should only command something around Melky (3/42) or Bruce (3/39) money.

I wouldn't want to be the team that gives Brantley 4 years though.

AerchAngel
06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
If the Braves can't afford Pollock, or don't want to pay for his CF defense in LF, does Brantley make sense?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/free-agent-stock-watch-michael-brantley.html

While Pollock is probably going to get something around LoCain money (5/80), Brantley should only command something around Melky (3/42) or Bruce (3/39) money.

I guess due to him being injured like Keenan Ivory Wayans in "I Am Going to Get You Sucker" when he pricked his finger and cried of the pain?

I agree with you on that end.

Southcack77
06-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Since Braves aren’t going to get an interesting free agent just make Neck a QO on off chance he doesn’t take it.

If not overpay him for another contract year, sign or trade for 3b.

Pick up bullpen help and expensive bench bat.

CJ9
06-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Since Braves aren’t going to get an interesting free agent just make Neck a QO on off chance he doesn’t take it.

If the swing changes are sustainable and his offensive production continues around this pace, I actually like this idea. Would love for him to ultimately turn it down and us get an extra pick, but it wouldn’t be horrible if he accepted it in the end.

Then we have some extra money off the books to pay Arenado when he’s a free agent after the 2019 season. ;)

NYCBrave
06-13-2018, 05:09 PM
If the swing changes are sustainable and his offensive production continues around this pace, I actually like this idea. Would love for him to ultimately turn it down and us get an extra pick, but it wouldn’t be horrible if he accepted it in the end.

Then we have some extra money off the books to pay Arenado when he’s a free agent after the 2019 season. ;)

He would definitely accept it, because he'd be forced to. A team is not going to give up a pick for a 35 year old Markakis on a long term deal. Offering him a QO would wreck his free agent value and force him to accept. Plus it would be a nice raise.

Enscheff
06-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Markakis had about a 15 game stretch where was playing the best baseball of his career (due to Flaherty being very happy).

Everything before and since has been right in line with his usual performance the last 2+ years. Literally nothing about his plate discipline or batted ball profile suggests he has made much of any sort of real change to his swing or approach.

Bringing back Markakis on a 1-2 year should probably be Plan D or E. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Harper opting out of a $400M contract.

nsacpi
06-13-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm kind of neutral on bringing Muk back...his play in the second half will likely decide the issue for me

Heyward
06-13-2018, 05:50 PM

I'd look for the trade market instead, but no idea who is actually available for outfielders.

ixiXSolidXixi
06-13-2018, 05:59 PM
I really believe Braves go with Markakis and upgrade the bullpen. Saving some money for trade deadline and the near future. I believe we should trade Teheran and utilize that money for Kimbrel or Allen. I preferred Allen with World Series experience plus probably cheaper.

Southcack77
06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Markakis had about a 15 game stretch where was playing the best baseball of his career (due to Flaherty being very happy).

Everything before and since has been right in line with his usual performance the last 2+ years. Literally nothing about his plate discipline or batted ball profile suggests he has made much of any sort of real change to his swing or approach.

Bringing back Markakis on a 1-2 year should probably be Plan D or E. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Harper opting out of a $400M contract.

Well, you know I'd be on board with gambling on one of the premium guys.

I think I'd put Markakis on a 1 yr/18 million QO ahead of having to give one of the 30+ OFs in decline a 3 or 4 year deal...I think. And I'd be expecting a 1 WAR guy, more or less.

You'd roll that 18 million into 2019 along with Teheran's 11 million and you'd have a good bit of money to play with in what might be a lower profile free agent class. It's basically treading water, but it gives you the breathing space to see what your young major leaguers and Riley and Allard and the Touki, Wright, Anderson group is going to do for you.

This is your don't stick your head out of the shell and be miserly with money and prospects approach. Hope for internal improvement for the most part. Grind away.

There is also the small chance Markakis turns down the QO and actually finds someone willing to pay him and give up a pick and the Braves get a draft choice out of it.
Or he turns it down and comes back at the end to sign for less than the QO.

Carp
06-13-2018, 06:43 PM

I thought about Brantley before and was all aboard the train to trade for him 2 years ago. But the injuries are worrisome, as is his poorly rated defense in recent years.

Heyward
06-13-2018, 07:34 PM
I really believe Braves go with Markakis and upgrade the bullpen. Saving some money for trade deadline and the near future. I believe we should trade Teheran and utilize that money for Kimbrel or Allen. I preferred Allen with World Series experience plus probably cheaper.

Puke on Cody Allen, theres much better options if they want a closer anyway.

I'd just go ahead and spend on Kimbrel, Minter-Winkler-Viz-Kimbrel, games are 5-6 innings.

Tapate50
06-13-2018, 08:43 PM

I keep coming back to Reddick if we don’t sign a marquis FA. Will the Astros want to dump him off so Tucker can play ? (I think it’s Tucker their top OF ‘spect)