PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Fall League

CrimsonCowboy
10-09-2013, 12:02 PM
That season opened yesterday. The Braves prospects are playing for the Scottsdale Scorpions. Here is how they fared:

Juan Jamie: 1IP, 1H, 1R, 0ER, 1BB, 0K
Tommy La Stella: 2-4, RBI, BB
Robby Hefflinger: 0-5, 4K, 5LOB
Kyle Kubitza: 3-4, RBI, R, K

nsacpi
10-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I like the group we have playing in the AFL. No elite prospects but most of them have a better than even chance of playing in the majors. I'd rank their prospect status as follows:

1. La Stella
2. Kubitza
3. Northcraft
4. Jaime
5. Cornely
6. Reyes
7. Hefflinger

thethe
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I thought Shae Simmons is there as well. Is that not accurate?

thethe
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Not surprised to see LaStella start out right. Hope he gets every chance to be our everyday second baseman next year

nsacpi
10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I thought Shae Simmons is there as well. Is that not accurate?

Good catch. I'd rate him 4th, between Northcraft and Jaime.

thethe
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I like him a bit more than northcraft but I think the difference is negligible.

50PoundHead
10-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I like the group we have playing in the AFL. No elite prospects but most of them have a better than even chance of playing in the majors. I'd rank their prospect status as follows:

1. La Stella
2. Kubitza
3. Northcraft
4. Jaime
5. Cornely
6. Reyes
7. Hefflinger

I'm not as high on Northcraft as you, but if I think the difference between 3 and 5 are very slim here.

Not sure on Kubitza. Had a nice rebound year. Ks a ton with marginal power, so that will have to improve. Good walk rate and supposedly a better fielder than his stats indicate.

Everyone knows I like Reyes, but I think all-glove back-up IF is his ceiling.

Hefflinger has supposedly has all-world power, but he really scuffled in Mississippi.

mfree80
10-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Not surprised to see LaStella start out right. Hope he gets every chance to be our everyday second baseman next year

Like the idea of his bat, but reports are that his defense will make Uggla look like a gold glover. Makes me nervous.

Teheran_49
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Oh Tommy La Stella. Just another 2-4 with a walk and no strikeouts....what a breath of fresh air he would be to this line-up.

50PoundHead
10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Tough night for our prospects. Reyes took a size 4 collar and Northcraft, Simmons, and Cornely all got lit up.

For the hardcore, here's how that translates:

That Elmer Reyes, FYI 0-4, 2 K
Northcraft (SP, LP) 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, WP
Cornely (7th pitcher used) 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, K, HR, WP
Simmons (8th) 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K.

nsacpi
10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
The AFL is a tough league for pitchers. I can only recall Tommy Hanson and Kris Medlen doing well there among Braves prospects. We have also shied away from sending our top pitching prospects there. None of Minor, Wood, Kimbrel, Beachy, Teheran pitched there.

emk418
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM

I think bringing in Infante and letting La Stella battle it out is the way to go unless there's some top of the order long term 2b that becomes available. I love La Stella and he projects as the type of player this lineup needs but we can't go into the season with him starting.

thethe
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
I think bringing in Infante and letting La Stella battle it out is the way to go unless there's some top of the order long term 2b that becomes available. I love La Stella and he projects as the type of player this lineup needs but we can't go into the season with him starting.

I get the approach you advocate but I disagree. If a player is ready he is ready. Now maybe LaStella isn't ready but I would roll the dice with him out of ST. If we have extra money then hell yeah bring in INfante but I wouldn't worry if he was the starting second baseman next year. We wouldn't be relying on him to be anything special.

buck7580
10-10-2013, 02:37 PM

I have heard that he is a better fielder than most of us think. We shall see. He may be ready. I was hoping that he would have been called up by thecl middle of August.

Bdawg2309
10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
..but apparently gosselin/elliot were better options....

CrimsonCowboy
10-10-2013, 10:12 PM
La Stella went 1-3, with 2 RBI's and 2 walks tonight. Both Kubitza and Hefflinger went 0-3 with a walk and two strikeouts.

Garmel
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Tommy La Stella is hitting .429 (3-for-7) with 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 3 walks & 0 strikeouts in two games.

yeezus
10-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I fail to see how LaStella's OBP skills won't translate. He may lack power, but damn, he's just hit everywhere.

thethe
10-11-2013, 05:28 AM
I fail to see how LaStella's OBP skills won't translate. He may lack power, but damn, he's just hit everywhere.

I'd really like to know why he wasn't given an opportunity to play this year. Just odd decisions all around for the 2013 Braves.

Tapate50
10-11-2013, 06:38 AM
I'd really like to know why he wasn't given an opportunity to play this year. Just odd decisions all around for the 2013 Braves.

It really is odd . Seeing how desperate we were at the position really makes it baffling.

chipchildress
10-11-2013, 08:20 AM
It really is odd . Seeing how desperate we were at the position really makes it baffling.

i second that. it makes you wonder if they see something really troubling there, but i don't know.

yeezus
10-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah makes no sense they felt Gosselin and ELLIOTT JOHNSON were better options. You can't be a worse option than Elliott Johnson. You just can't.

50PoundHead
10-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't know if it played into the decision or not, but La Stella has one more year before he has to go on the 40-man roster and if the Braves still have questions about him, they may not have wanted to use the spot in an off-season where there may be a lot of shuffling and as a result the spot on the 40-man would be needed.

emk418
10-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah makes no sense they felt Gosselin and ELLIOTT JOHNSON were better options. You can't be a worse option than Elliott Johnson. You just can't.

There is one worse option. His name is Dan Uggla.

yeezus
10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
There is one worse option. His name is Dan Uggla.

Very true, I meant LaStella could not have been worse...than either Uggla or Johnson, really.

JohnAdcox
10-11-2013, 05:01 PM

I am waiting for Dan Uggla to come and give this post a thanks.

rico43
10-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Friday AFL report:

Jaime 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
Kubitza 0-3, 2 K
E. Reyes 0-2, BB, GIDP

JohnAdcox
10-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Has anyone read any reports of La Stella's fielding?

thethe
10-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Has anyone read any reports of La Stella's fielding?

Seems you can never get a consensus. Leads me to believe he has good days and bad days and depending on the days you see him you form your evaluation. I'm sure he will be the front runner next ST as long as another FA isn't brought in.

atl717
10-12-2013, 12:47 PM
LaStella the frontrunner? You are dreaming. He isn't the type of prospect to skip AAA and be a starter.

And Dan Uggla is still under contract and nobody is taking on that countract regardless of how much the Braves eat.

skillet
10-12-2013, 01:11 PM
LaStella the frontrunner? You are dreaming. He isn't the type of prospect to skip AAA and be a starter.

And Dan Uggla is still under contract and nobody is taking on that countract regardless of how much the Braves eat.

He's not the type of prospect to skip AAA and be a starter?? Is that a joke? He has an unbelievable minor league career OBP of .412 and .422 this year in AA. He's walked more times (111) than struck out (88). These qualities are not found very often, but they are exactly the qualities that do translate to the major leagues, probably more than any other. Oh, and his career batting average is .327. The guy is legit.

JohnAdcox
10-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Seems you can never get a consensus. Leads me to believe he has good days and bad days and depending on the days you see him you form your evaluation. I'm sure he will be the front runner next ST as long as another FA isn't brought in.

I meant in Arizona, but yeah, I hear you. That's why I am so curious. Seems like Fall is when a larger number of scouts are getting a solid look over a number of days. If course, it'll take more than, uh, three to get any meaningful analysis I'm sure.

atl717
10-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I like the guy a lot. But he isn't a top prospect. He won't be awarded a starting spot right out of AA.

Tapate50
10-14-2013, 07:57 AM
I like the guy a lot. But he isn't a top prospect. He won't be awarded a starting spot right out of AA.

I don't think I have heard anyone mention awarding him anything. Now, if he comes to ST and stays hot, what then? Id say he earns it. I think he starts the year in the minors though.

thethe
10-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Tommy's play will speak for itself. He has never NOT so far in his career. I dont think that is going to stop. He won't be a star or anything like that at the major league level but I think a solid piece on a championship club.

JohnAdcox
10-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Tommy's play will speak for itself. He has never NOT so far in his career. I dont think that is going to stop. He won't be a star or anything like that at the major league level but I think a solid piece on a championship club.

I'd be happy with that.

stpeteirish
10-14-2013, 12:50 PM

don't think the last part is true. Someone will be willing to take Uggla if they don't have to pay much. Its just a matter of how much the Braves are willing to eat. If he's still hitting .185 in May they'll sell him to the highest bidder. And it won't be very high.

Enscheff
10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
If all the Braves can get for Uggla is a few million in relief, then it isn't worth the risk of him rebounding with another team. It would be a nightmare for Wren if the Braves only saved a few million bucks and then Uggla went on to hit .250 with 25 HRs for another team.

If Wren can't get significant salary relief he will just make Uggla compete for a roster spot. If Uggla ends up in AAA, so be it.

ramadon101
10-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm in the opposite camp when it comes to LaStella. I firmly believe he has the bat to post a .800 OPS in the majors -- which, coming from a 2B (assuming he can play average defense at the position), IS absolutely a star. Maybe not a superstar, but definitely a star...

... and a star who will cost us pennies for years to come.

thethe
10-14-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm in the opposite camp when it comes to LaStella. I firmly believe he has the bat to post a .800 OPS in the majors -- which, coming from a 2B (assuming he can play average defense at the position), IS absolutely a star. Maybe not a superstar, but definitely a star...

... and a star who will cost us pennies for years to come.

I'll take that!

Lastella is interesting. He has doubles power with excellent on base skills. Thats exactly the type of hitter this team needs.

skillet
10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I'll take that!

Lastella is interesting. He has doubles power with excellent on base skills. Thats exactly the type of hitter this team needs.

Yes and Yes!

buck7580
10-14-2013, 04:54 PM
If all the Braves can get for Uggla is a few million in relief, then it isn't worth the risk of him rebounding with another team. It would be a nightmare for Wren if the Braves only saved a few million bucks and then Uggla went on to hit .250 with 25 HRs for another team.

If Wren can't get significant salary relief he will just make Uggla compete for a roster spot. If Uggla ends up in AAA, so be it.

Can't look back if the Braves move Uggla. Don't worry. Press on.

thethe
10-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Everyone, prepare to be shocked......

Tommy LaStella walked in his first AB!

SHOCKING!

Garmel
10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Everyone, prepare to be shocked......

Tommy LaStella walked in his first AB!

SHOCKING!

After a little seasoning he needs to become our lead off guy.

thethe
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
And now a single after a 3-2 count to drive in a run.

BremanFan88
10-15-2013, 01:06 AM
La Stella's pretty much a beast who should of been playing in Atlanta when September and October came...

Tapate50
10-15-2013, 07:47 AM
If I was Fredi looking at my roster in Sept and all I had in my arsenal was Elliot, you can believe I would be going to see him play in person at the very least.

MURF21
10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
If I was Fredi looking at my roster in Sept and all I had in my arsenal was Elliot, you can believe I would be going to see him play in person at the very least.

AMEN!!!!!

CrimsonCowboy
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Dear Dan Uggla,

You're services are no longer needed with the Atlanta Braves. Nothing personal.

Sincerely,
Braves Country

thethe
10-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Shocked again. First AB tonight......a walk

Thats now 5 walks and 0 K's against what is supposed to be potential major league starting pitching.

skillet
10-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Shocked again. First AB tonight......a walk

Thats now 5 walks and 0 K's against what is supposed to be potential major league starting pitching.

Out of all 16 guys on the team, he is the only one with more walks than strike outs, and he now has 5 to 0. But he has done that his whole career. I simply do not know what else this guy has to do to make people believe he is for real. He is an on base machine.

thethe
10-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Out of all 16 guys on the team, he is the only one with more walks than strike outs, and he now has 5 to 0. But he has done that his whole career. I simply do not know what else this guy has to do to make people believe he is for real. He is an on base machine.

I'm not expecting a star but a really solid major leaguer.

He is now at 6 walks and no K's. Just awesome.

rico43
10-17-2013, 06:43 AM
La Stella hitting .417 through four games with six walks, six RBIs and no strikeouts. It will aggravate me all winter that he didn't get a look-see.

stpeteirish
10-17-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm not expecting a star but a really solid major leaguer.

He is now at 6 walks and no K's. Just awesome.

maybe a Matt Carpenter type. I'll take that 7 days a week.

Teheran_49
10-17-2013, 07:31 AM
maybe a Matt Carpenter type. I'll take that 7 days a week.

That's what i compared him to. If he's even close then we have a really good 2B on our hands.

Garmel
10-17-2013, 05:45 PM
La Stella went 2-2 with 3 walks today.

Jay212033
10-17-2013, 06:22 PM
La Stella went 2-2 with 3 walks today.

The 2 hits were both doubles!

thethe
10-17-2013, 07:11 PM
The 2 hits were both doubles!

Sick.. guy needs to be our second baseman next year.

thethe
10-17-2013, 07:22 PM
9 walks 0 Strikeouts

Lol

Its like Lynchburg all over again.

CrimsonCowboy
10-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Seriously Dan. Pack your bags

Deester11
10-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Listen, forget about La Stella....I was so excited by Eliot Johnson, I just couldn't stand to watch any other Second Basemen. And Uggla....I think we need to stop hating on the guy. He runs circles around La Stella...More RBI, higher avg, higher OBP.....

Ok, Vodka and Redbull typed this entire reply! La Stella is a complete breast!, er beast!

zitothebrave
10-18-2013, 12:36 AM
La Stella's pretty much a beast who should of been playing in Atlanta when September and October came...

Unfortunately we all know the traditional baseball decision wouldn't have been to cut Elliot or something like that (which should have happened) and bring up Tommy because there's more risk involved, Of course there's also way more reward as well but there is a risk that a rookie can come up and be overmatched and blah blah blah. Of course one of those inflatable tube men would have likely done better at the plate than Elliot.

thethe
10-19-2013, 08:29 AM
LaStella is such a bum. Only went 1 for 4 with a single and a walk last night. Very pedestrian 10/0 BB/K ratio now.

skillet
10-19-2013, 12:09 PM
After 6 games Tommy hitting .444/.643/.667/1.310.

Garmel
10-19-2013, 12:26 PM
After 6 games Tommy hitting .444/.643/.667/1.310.

Yeah. These stats convince me that he's no way ready to be our 2nd baseman. Let's trade the farm for a declining Phillips instead.

skillet
10-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah. These stats convince me that he's no way ready to be our 2nd baseman. Let's trade the farm for a declining Phillips instead.

Excellent post and couldn't agree more. It would be lunacy to trade for a quickly declining Phillips and take on 4 years of a big contract when we have a guy that would cost us next to nothing for years who won't be a superstar, but will be a solid, .280-.290, high OBP hitter.

zitothebrave
10-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I said at the start of the year I think La Stella is a left handed Prado without the versatility, and I think I'm right. Of course the upside on La Stella is that while like Prado he doesn't have much power, he walks so while Prado is an ideal 2 hitter, Tommy is an ideal leadoff hitter.

We'd be a little lefty heavy but I'd droll over this lineup next year (obviously after Tommy proves himself)

La Stella
Heyward
Justin
Freeman
Gattis
Johnson
Bossman
Simmons

Presuming Bossman bounces back, that's a 1-7 not many can come close to matching.

skillet
10-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I said at the start of the year I think La Stella is a left handed Prado without the versatility, and I think I'm right. Of course the upside on La Stella is that while like Prado he doesn't have much power, he walks so while Prado is an ideal 2 hitter, Tommy is an ideal leadoff hitter.

We'd be a little lefty heavy but I'd droll over this lineup next year (obviously after Tommy proves himself)

La Stella
Heyward
Justin
Freeman
Gattis
Johnson
Bossman
Simmons

Presuming Bossman bounces back, that's a 1-7 not many can come close to matching.

I like it. I would probably move Chris up ahead of Oso, but a very good lineup. Tommy at the top would give Jason, Justin and Freddie a lot more RBI opportunities.

skidlee
10-20-2013, 10:10 AM

La Stella
Heyward
Justin
Freeman
Gattis
Johnson
Bossman
Simmons

How is only having 3 lefties in a lineup be left handed heavy?

zitothebrave
10-20-2013, 10:11 AM
if Bossman starts hitting he may move to 5. Next year aside from keeping Justin, Jason and Freddie in the top 4 I'm open to other changes.

thethe
10-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Gattis needs to be at worst fifth.

zitothebrave
10-20-2013, 10:21 AM
How is only having 3 lefties in a lineup be left handed heavy?

Sorry I meant at the top. 3/4 of our 1-4 would be lefty which could create situational issues.

Would love to sign Infante to prevent that though. Would be killer if someone brought in a lefty for Tommy, JHason and Freddie and then we sub out Tommy for Infante. But Omar will probably sign for more than he's really worth to us.

thethe
10-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Braves have money. We should bring Omar in.

skidlee
10-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry I meant at the top. 3/4 of our 1-4 would be lefty which could create situational issues.

Would love to sign Infante to prevent that though. Would be killer if someone brought in a lefty for Tommy, JHason and Freddie and then we sub out Tommy for Infante. But Omar will probably sign for more than he's really worth to us.

Ok makes more sense now.

Well we will have Pena on the team who is a switch hitter and could pinch hit for tommy.

thethe
10-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Pena isn't a good right handed hitter. I'd rather bring in Omar and play him all over the place. 2-3 years 7 per year.

skidlee
10-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Braves have money. We should bring Omar in.

I would take more then 1 year (I could see 3 year deals being offered to him) and 5-7 mill a year.

He is going to get offers from teams to be their starting 2B

Jay212033
10-20-2013, 11:49 AM
IMO La Stella would be the perfect 2 hole guy. With Heyward leading off the Braves could hit and run more with a good contact hitter at the plate.

Teheran_49
10-22-2013, 12:47 AM
I see no reason why La Stella isn't our starter at 2b. Chris Johnson was pretty bad in the field at the beginning of the year but became decent near years end. Guys who are natural baseball players and have determination to become better will and La Stella is one of those guys. He will have some "WTF" moments in the field but as the year goes on he will be better. I mean we let BJ and Dan get like 700+ AB's last year and some how still won the east so let the kid play. Infante would be nice but I'm quite sure La Stella can and will put up similar numbers at the plate for a whole lot less.

thethe
10-22-2013, 05:13 AM
La Stella with a mediocre 1 for 3 night with a walk and no strikeouts.

11/0 BB/K ratio now.

Tapate50
10-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Impressive for sure. Tommy needs to keep it up. Jaime doing well too.

I don't think anyone needs to count on Pena being anything but a Utility guy in spot duty.

BremanFan88
10-22-2013, 04:00 PM
La Stella with a mediocre 1 for 3 night with a walk and no strikeouts.

11/0 BB/K ratio now.

Both the outs were line outs.

thethe
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Both the outs were line outs.

Ridiculous. I don't know why we are looking for a second baseman this offseason. Just deal with Uggla as a sunk cost or try to save 2-3 million per year and just roll with LaStella. If you want to get a backup as a caddy on the right side then fine but LaStella should be the guy.

skillet
10-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Ridiculous. I don't know why we are looking for a second baseman this offseason. Just deal with Uggla as a sunk cost or try to save 2-3 million per year and just roll with LaStella. If you want to get a backup as a caddy on the right side then fine but LaStella should be the guy.

I could not agree more.

rico43
10-22-2013, 06:23 PM
I could not agree more.

The Braves are out there in force. They see the same things we're seeing, and if his defense holds up, then this could be a happy ending for everyone but Uggla.

thethe
10-22-2013, 06:25 PM
The Braves are out there in force. They see the same things we're seeing, and if his defense holds up, then this could be a happy ending for everyone but Uggla.

I bet they liked Northcraft last night. He is going under the radar by many. He has 3/4 starter written all over him. That's great value.

zitothebrave
10-22-2013, 06:40 PM

Don't need someone for the rightside with Pastor and Pena

This is what I'd do if I was the Braves this offseason in about the most realistic way

Offer Mac a qualifying offer, if he takes it awesome, if not cool. I presume he won't and we get a sandwich pick.

Trade Uggla for as much salary relief as possible.

Re-sign Huddy

Sign a guy like Madson or Marmol as a gambling reliever

Sign Omar to a 3 year 15 M deal. He may get a better offer than that elsewhere.

Turn down Reed's option

Cut guys like Elliot Johnson and Ernesto Mejia.

So our 25 man will be

2B - Tommy
RF - Jason
LF - Justin
1B - Freeman
C - Gattis
3B - CJ
CF - Bossman
SS - Simmons

Bench

Bethancourt (Laird is trade bait)
Omar (platoon type with Tommy, defensive replacement for CJ)
Schafer
Terds
Pena/Pastor/Georgie

Rotation

Minor
Medlen
Julio
Hudson
Wood

Pen

Kimbrel
Walden
Madson/Marmol
Avilan
Carpenter

So on so forth.

thethe
10-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Pena isn't a good right handed hitter. Omar would be perfect.

thethe
10-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Kubitza is quietly having a solid AFL showing. Hopefully he will be able to handle AA this year.

buck7580
10-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Kubitza is quietly having a solid AFL showing. Hopefully he will be able to handle AA this year.

I am pretty sure he could be a decent corner outfielder as well (as 3B).

KB21
10-22-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm really curious about Tommy's defense. This guy's bat is ridiculous. He's not going to hit a lot of home runs, but honestly, that would be something I would welcome to this line up. The Braves are too reliant upon the home run to score runs as it is. They need another bat that can control the bat and not strike out in this line up.

It seems Tommy's detractors talk about his lack of power and lack of tools as a reason he won't be able to replicate what he's done to this point. Defense is also brought up a lot. I haven't found a website that keeps up with minor league defensive metrics yet, but with his defense, are we talking about Matt Carpenter type average defense with 0 DRS or are we talking about Dan Uggla type defense with a -19 DRS? Because if his defense is at least passable, this guy's bat is very valuable.

Heyward
10-23-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm not completely sold on Tommy but no reason Uggla should be on the team next year.

I think Frank is a good GM but the Uggla deal was a disaster, admit your mistakes and move on even if he has to eat most of the deal.

We have too many easy outs in the lineup with Uggla.

If we cant sign a stop-gap like Infante, i'd be cool with Gattis, FF, Tommy, Simba, CJ, JUp, BJ, Heyward position wise.

Not sure what the lineup 1-8 could be though.

Assuming Mac gets a huge offer elsewhere.

Heyward
10-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Assuming Mac bolts, here is my near 25 for now.

I dont think we'll do much, nor do we need too.

We were 1 game from having the best record in the NL despite a ridiculous amount of injuries.

Bring back Huddy on a 1-yr deal.

Find a way to trade Uggla at all costs, just no reason he should be on the team anymore.

Sign EOF to a 1 yr deal, tender Venters, and see if both are ready sometime down the line, if both are healthy, our pen would be ridiculous.

Trade Laird, make CB the backup C.

Gattis
FF
Tommy
Simba
CJ
JUp
BJ
Heyward

Huddy
Medlen
Minor
Julio
Wood/Beachy (only thing here is it would be tough to send one down unless one would be in the pen?)

Could go Beachy/Wood if Huddy isnt brought back.

Kimbrel
Walden
Carpenter
Avilan
FA (we'll have some money to play with)
Two of Hale/Varvaro/Gearrin/Graham, etc.

Bench:

CB/Laird
Terdo
Schafer
Pastor
FA

Infante would be perfect but he'll probably get a big deal elsewhere.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Anyone know what the MLEs would be for La Stella's Southern League line this past season?

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 07:48 AM
His MLE for the Braves is .279/.344/.376

And we all know how often MLE is wrong as far as using this season's numbers to predict the next step.

MLE is a good reminder that results in AA don't equal results in the majors. But that's all they are since they don't factor in growth or factors that aren't easily calculated like someone's swing. Someday when minor league stats are more indepth I'll put more weight into MLE but we're not at even 90% accuracy with major league projections I have little faith anytime soon we'll see good minor league to major league projections.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 07:49 AM
His MLE for the Braves is .279/.344/.376

And we all know how often MLE is wrong as far as using this season's numbers to predict the next step.

MLE is a good reminder that results in AA don't equal results in the majors. But that's all they are since they don't factor in growth or factors that aren't easily calculated like someone's swing. Someday when minor league stats are more indepth I'll put more weight into MLE but we're not at even 90% accuracy with major league projections I have little faith anytime soon we'll see good minor league to major league projections.

I believe it is estimated so that about half will do better than their MLEs and half worse. Anyone care to make the case for La Stella being part of the group that overperforms or underperforms their MLEs?

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Infante would be perfect but he'll probably get a big deal elsewhere.

I don't know for sure but I'm betting Infante doesn't sign for big bucks. He last signed a 2/8 deal. I expect he gets a raise from that which is why I think he gets around a 3/15 deal which I think we can offer for him. He'd get enough work spelling CJ, Tommy and Co. to be worth that. And he wouldn't hamper our long term goals of keeping Jason, Freddie, and Justin.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 07:51 AM
I think Infante will get 8-10M/yr.

As a player he is somewhere between Scutaro (6M/yr) and Prado (11M/yr for the 3 free agency years in his contract).

thethe
10-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Braves have money for the next two years. Sign Infante for 2 years 7-9 million per year.

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 08:01 AM
I believe it is estimated so that about half will do better than their MLEs and half worse. Anyone care to make the case for La Stella being part of the group that overperforms or underperforms their MLEs?

I would say over. Especially if we're going off last season. MLE has his iso under .100 and I'm fairly sure that he's got more power than that. I think he winds up in the .130 range maybe a little lower as a rookie though but who knows cause Tommy has shown good power other seasons. I don't think his average really can be much worse than .280 unless he either starts striking out way more often or he stops hitting line drives. Guys who don't strike out and hit line drives have high averages. Heck even if he doesn't hit a ton of linedrives, the guys with the 30 lowest K% (qualified) only 13 were below .280, only 8 below .270 so I'd consider Tommy a pretty comfortable bet to meet his average and OBP and he should beat his slugging.

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 08:08 AM
I think Infante will get 8-10M/yr.

As a player he is somewhere between Scutaro (6M/yr) and Prado (11M/yr for the 3 free agency years in his contract).

Infante is much more Scutaro than Prado.

With only about 4 years of experience as a starter (I'm using that term pretty loosely since he was more of a super sub for us his last year than a pure starter) his fWAR has been 2.1 2.1 2.9 (fluke defensive year) and 3.1 (fluke offensive year) I think most teams will see past the smoke and mirrors and see him as a valuable but not invaluable piece. I liken Infante to Polanco and Scutaro, those guys have never made more than 6M and Infante doesn't have their defensive reps.

I think most will see in Infante a guy who's league average with the bat or worse and league average with the glove depending on position. There's certainly some value to that but I highly doubt teams go much over 6 million for him. Could be wrong of course but I think if a team goes high with him it's on a 2 year deal tops.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 08:08 AM
I would say over. Especially if we're going off last season. MLE has his iso under .100 and I'm fairly sure that he's got more power than that. I think he winds up in the .130 range maybe a little lower as a rookie though but who knows cause Tommy has shown good power other seasons. I don't think his average really can be much worse than .280 unless he either starts striking out way more often or he stops hitting line drives. Guys who don't strike out and hit line drives have high averages. Heck even if he doesn't hit a ton of linedrives, the guys with the 30 lowest K% (qualified) only 13 were below .280, only 8 below .270 so I'd consider Tommy a pretty comfortable bet to meet his average and OBP and he should beat his slugging.

I like the fact he improved second half relative to the first. In terms of the jump to the majors, I think a big key is ability to hit a major league breaking ball. It is a big adjustment. We saw Gattis and Terdoslavich have a bit of trouble with that. Anyone see enough of La Stella to have a view as to how well he will do in that department relative to Gattis and Terdoslavich?

thethe
10-23-2013, 08:09 AM
LaStella has a great statistical profile and I love guys that don't stall at any level. He adjusts quickly to a higher quality of pitching. He should be the guy this year.

thethe
10-23-2013, 08:10 AM

With only about 4 years of experience as a starter (I'm using that term pretty loosely since he was more of a super sub for us his last year than a pure starter) his fWAR has been 2.1 2.1 2.9 (fluke defensive year) and 3.1 (fluke offensive year) I think most teams will see past the smoke and mirrors and see him as a valuable but not invaluable piece. I liken Infante to Polanco and Scutaro, those guys have never made more than 6M and Infante doesn't have their defensive reps.

I think most will see in Infante a guy who's league average with the bat or worse and league average with the glove depending on position. There's certainly some value to that but I highly doubt teams go much over 6 million for him. Could be wrong of course but I think if a team goes high with him it's on a 2 year deal tops.

You have to adjust for the inflation in baseball. 7-9 million is what 5-6 was in years past.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Infante is younger and better than Scutaro. You can cite fluke defensive and offensive years for just about every player. If you look at three year totals, that smooths out the ups and downs. Scutaro put up 3 year WAR of 6.8 leading up to his contract. Infante is at 8.1. Infante is also hitting free agency five years younger than Scutaro.

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 08:16 AM
I like the fact he improved second half relative to the first. In terms of the jump to the majors, I think a big key is ability to hit a major league breaking ball. It is a big adjustment. We saw Gattis and Terdoslavich have a bit of trouble with that. Anyone see enough of La Stella to have a view as to how well he will do in that department relative to Gattis and Terdoslavich?

I think Tommy will struggle with LOOGY types to start his career. Which is why getting a good RHB to back him up will help early on until he's more comfortable in the bigs.

PawPawMaxwell
10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
1. This is Infantes last go round for a big, extended contract. Expect 3 years at whatever price
2. Infante cannot play SS. He does have some value as a CF in a pinch.
3. Whatever he signs for will be too expensive for a bench player/pinch hitter

Bench for next year:

LH hitting catcher if Fredi wants to carry 3 catchers I think he has seen the value in this. AJ Pierzynski would be ideal but may cost more than willing to pay.
Middle IF backup. Pena should fill this role ideally, if healthy, read: Cheap
4th OF LH Hitting preferred. With all others need that LH hitter Not Shafer, Not Constanza. A NL team cannot afford the luxury of these guys.
A proven switch hitting pinch hitter. See the value in these guys like Giambi (poor example) when the playoffs come? At least capable if you make the WS.

yeezus
10-23-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm all fo Infante, but where exactly do we play him? Does LaStella not get the ML job? CJ will be at 3rd.

yeezus
10-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Tommy just feels like that Cardinals type player that doesn't have huge projection but always produces. He needs a shot.

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm all fo Infante, but where exactly do we play him? Does LaStella not get the ML job? CJ will be at 3rd.

He'd get 300-400 PA as a super sub and lots of innings as Johnson's designated defensive replacement or La Stella's LOOGY relief. Not to mention injuries will happen.

Omar can play (though not for long terms at most) SS, OF, 2B and 3B. All of those positions we could have potential long term needs. Having a go to bench guy is extremely valuable. We didn't have that this year, in the past we had Infante, or Prado, but having someone someone you can plug in at just about any position is invaluable. This year our closest thing to a super sub was Gattis. Pena was but he got hurt pretty early on and I don't know if he can handle the OF. Janish and Elliot can't hit a lick.

So either we need to sign Omar of try to go bonkers and get someone like Zobrist who can move around as the team need adjusts.

thethe
10-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Omar would get plenty of AB's. He can play all 3 OF spots and basically every IF spot but it would be hard to get both he and Pena a lot of AB's.

yeezus
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Will Omar go somewhere he isn't a full-time starter guaranteed? I really don't know.
I'd love Zobrist, but we'd run into a similar problem. He'd have to be our starting 2B and then use him elsewhere as injuries arise. He has a very reasonable contract and would probably take a lot to pry away from TB. I'm not sure they would trade him, actually.

thethe
10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
I think if we pay Omar he will come to play here. Luckily the Braves will have money considering Mac isn't coming back and hte starting rotation is cheap. Braves can afford to pay him what other teams will probably pay him.

PawPawMaxwell
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Have you ever seen Infante play SS? He is like a statue out there and between him and CJ the whole left side would be a hole. CF aint much better but if not many are hit out there he will suffice in a minimal role. There is a very good reason he has been a 2nd baseman his whole career.

thethe
10-23-2013, 09:51 AM
He is not going to be asked to play it all the time. If anything it would be Pena who would be hte backup SS. Simmons is a monster. He will play 155+ times.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Given that we have La Stella, Pena and Pastornicky, I would not be interested in Infante at 8-10M/yr.

thethe
10-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Where else are we going to spend the money?

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Where else are we going to spend the money?

I would rather spend on McCann and have Gattis replicate his super sub/power bat off the bench role.

To me 15-16M/year for four years on McCann is money better spent than 8-10/year for Infante.

Under this scenario, we will have an option down the road to trade Gattis to an American League team (possibly to upgrade the rotation), and slide Bethancourt and/or Caratini into the catcher-of-the-future role.

PawPawMaxwell
10-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Given that we have La Stella, Pena and Pastornicky, I would not be interested in Infante at 8-10M/yr.

Bingo

thethe
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
I would rather spend on McCann and have Gattis replicate his super sub/power bat off the bench role.

To me 15-16M/year for four years on McCann is money better spent than 8-10/year for Infante.

Under this scenario, we will have an option down the road to trade Gattis to an American League team (possibly to upgrade the rotation), and slide Bethancourt and/or Caratini into the catcher-of-the-future role.

There is no way that a 4 year contract to a 30 year old catcher is better than a 2 year contract for less money for a MIF super util guy. Mac is going to be way overpaid.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 10:34 AM
There is no way that a 4 year contract to a 30 year old catcher is better than a 2 year contract for less money for a MIF super util guy. Mac is going to be way overpaid.

Take a look at the aging curve of catchers with high similarity scores to McCann. The five post-WWII catchers with the highest similarity scores to him are Lance Parrish, Gary Carter, Bill Freehan, Yogi Berra and Del Crandall, in that order.

Parrish made the AS team at age 30, 32 and 34. He fell off sharply after age 34.

Carter was an AS every year from age 30 to 34. He hit 20 or more HR every year from age 30 to 33.

Freehan was an AS at ages 30, 31, and 33. Strangely, his age 32 season was better than any of those.

Berra received MVP votes in each of his age 30-34 seasons, winning the MVP at age 30 and was runner up for MVP at age 31.

Crandall had a very good age 30 season, missed most of his age 31 season, rebounded with a decent age 32 season, then went into sharp decline.

thethe
10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Yes, that is what history says but each person is different. Mac seems to be dealing with nagging injuries and iffy finishes to seasons the last three years. Lots of red flags with Mac IMO.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Yes, that is what history says but each person is different. Mac seems to be dealing with nagging injuries and iffy finishes to seasons the last three years. Lots of red flags with Mac IMO.

Yes each person is unique. On that we can agree.

I suspect tho that McCann is not unique among catchers for nagging injuries and tailing off toward the end of the season.

thethe
10-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes each person is unique. On that we can agree.

I suspect tho that McCann is not unique among catchers for nagging injuries and tailing off toward the end of the season.

That is a disturbing trend and not one that I want to gamble on for the next 4 years at 16 million per year. Not when Gattis/CB are basically ready to take over.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 10:56 AM
That is a disturbing trend and not one that I want to gamble on for the next 4 years at 16 million per year. Not when Gattis/CB are basically ready to take over.

What is a disturbing trend? Being unique? Tailing off? Nagging injuries?

Are you thinking there is a catcher out there who doesn't tail off or have nagging injuries? Gattis has missed time the past two seasons with injuries. So has Bethancourt (broken thumb last year, hamstring this year). Does that constitute a worrisome trend?

Within the universe of catchers, McCann actually stands out for being unusually productive, consistent and yes durable.

thethe
10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Of course its a concern but we aren't going to have to pay them 15 million dollars.

nsacpi
10-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Of course its a concern but we aren't going to have to pay them 15 million dollars.

True. But I thought we were debating paying Infante 8-10M versus paying McCann 15-16M.

If we keep McCann, Gattis becomes our supersub in 2014.

If we sign Infante instead, I assume he will get most of the playing time at second, and our bench will look something like this (Laird, Pena, Schafer, Reed Johnson, Terdoslavich).

To me we are a stronger team with both McCann and Gattis. We take more risk I agree. But we also preserve what I view as a very intriguing option, which would be trading Gattis sometime down the road to an American League team.

By the way you should check out the aging curves of the players with high similarity scores to Infante. Some of them declined very sharply after age 31. Second base is also a position where players suffer quite a bit of wear and tear.

KB21
10-23-2013, 12:04 PM
One surprising stat that I saw on Evan Gattis was that in 340 some odd innings as a catcher, he had a DRS of +3. He was a -10 in 340 some odd innings in left field. He's surprisingly better as a defender than I anticipated as a catcher.

thethe
10-23-2013, 12:06 PM
One surprising stat that I saw on Evan Gattis was that in 340 some odd innings as a catcher, he had a DRS of +3. He was a -10 in 340 some odd innings in left field. He's surprisingly better as a defender than I anticipated as a catcher.

Yup, that is why I don't see why we are contemplating spending a lot of money on a catcher. Sure, Gattis might be rough at the plate (I think he will be fine) but he is overall a solid defensive catcher.

thethe
10-23-2013, 06:04 PM
LaStella went 1 for 4 today with a triple. Still no strikeouts.

Heyward
10-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Agree with thethe here.

I love Mac, but 15-16 million for 4-5 years is a LOT.

With CB/Gattis waiting in the wings who are on the league minimum for the next 2-3 years, we can use Mac's money elsewhere.

Whether thats trying to extend core players, or adding a key bullpen or bench piece.

Or whatever that may be.

KB21
10-23-2013, 07:28 PM
LaStella went 1 for 4 today with a triple. Still no strikeouts.

During the season, La Stella swung at a ridiculously low 3.6% of pitches outside the strike zone. The guy has the best strike zone judgement in the system.

Another interesting tidbit is that Salcedo swung at only 9.4% of pitches that were outside the zone, suggesting that he actually has a pretty good idea what is and isn't a strike. It also suggests that he has a big fat hole in his swing that he hasn't closed up, because he swings and misses on a lot of pitches in the zone.

skillet
10-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Through 8 games, 36 plate appearances, Tommy's slash line is .400/.583/.640/1.223 with 11 walks and 0 strikeouts. Incredible.

skillet
10-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Kubitza having a good AFL as well, .310/.412/.414/.826. Hopefully he can build on his solid campaign with Lynchburg this year.

thethe
10-23-2013, 09:55 PM
From Frangraphs:

Regarding Thomas La Stella
Since last week’s edition of the batting leaderboard, Atlanta infield prospect Thomas La Stella has recorded seven walks in 18 plate appearances — all this while striking out zero times. For La Stella to control the plate so well isn’t an entirely suprising development. He posted walk and strikeout rates of 11.5% and 10.5%, respectively, in 323 PAs at Double-A Mississippi. He’s posted similarly excellent rates at other levels, previously.

If one takes for granted his plate discipline and what appears to be below-average second-base defense*, then projecting La Stella as a major-leaguer becomes a matter mostly of targeting his home-run rate (HRC%) on contact and BABIP.

*Note: the author isn’t suggesting that one ought, necessarily, to take either of these for granted. For the sake of the minor experiment below, however, that’s what’s happening.

Below are four possibilities for a major-league version of La Stella, if one controls for everything but HRC% and BABIP. The walk and strikeout rates included here are those projected by Steamer for 2014. The defensive constant presupposes either a -5 defender at second base (Dan Uggla, basically) or a +5 defender in left field (i.e. another destination for defensive misfits).
Line PA BB% K% HRC% BABIP Fld+Pos HR AVG OBP SLG Off Def WAR
1 550 7.3% 10.2% 1.5% .280 -2.5 7 .260 .319 .360 -6 -3 1.1
2 550 7.3% 10.2% 2.5% .280 -2.5 11 .267 .325 .396 0 -3 1.7
3 550 7.3% 10.2% 1.5% .300 -2.5 7 .278 .335 .378 0 -3 1.7
4 550 7.3% 10.2% 2.5% .300 -2.5 11 .284 .341 .413 6 -3 2.4
Line 1 represents La Stella’s 2014 line according to Steamer, more or less. A 1.5% HRC is what La Stella recorded in 2013 at Mississippi, as well. Line 2 features 2.5% HRC, i.e. what La Stella has posted over the entirety of his minor-league career. It wouldn’t be surprising, necessarily, for La Stella to hit for more power, either, as he advances toward complete physical maturity. Line 3 features La Stella with his Steamer home-run projection, but with a major-league average BABIP. Not an impossibility, that. Finally, Line 4 is an example of La Stella recording the more productive versions of his HRC% and BABIP. It’s probably hard to get much more reasonably optimistic than this final example, in terms of La Stella’s true talent.

The Chosen One
10-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Gattis our supersub?

He can only play catcher decently, a ticking time bomb left field, and probably first base.

When I think of super sub, I generally think of any infield position plus a corner outfield position.

thethe
10-24-2013, 05:22 AM
Gattis our supersub?

He can only play catcher decently, a ticking time bomb left field, and probably first base.

When I think of super sub, I generally think of any infield position plus a corner outfield position.

I agree with this. Gattis should be our everyday catcher. The experiment with him in LF needs to be over.

KB21
10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
From Frangraphs:

Regarding Thomas La Stella
Since last week’s edition of the batting leaderboard, Atlanta infield prospect Thomas La Stella has recorded seven walks in 18 plate appearances — all this while striking out zero times. For La Stella to control the plate so well isn’t an entirely suprising development. He posted walk and strikeout rates of 11.5% and 10.5%, respectively, in 323 PAs at Double-A Mississippi. He’s posted similarly excellent rates at other levels, previously.

If one takes for granted his plate discipline and what appears to be below-average second-base defense*, then projecting La Stella as a major-leaguer becomes a matter mostly of targeting his home-run rate (HRC%) on contact and BABIP.

*Note: the author isn’t suggesting that one ought, necessarily, to take either of these for granted. For the sake of the minor experiment below, however, that’s what’s happening.

Below are four possibilities for a major-league version of La Stella, if one controls for everything but HRC% and BABIP. The walk and strikeout rates included here are those projected by Steamer for 2014. The defensive constant presupposes either a -5 defender at second base (Dan Uggla, basically) or a +5 defender in left field (i.e. another destination for defensive misfits).
Line PA BB% K% HRC% BABIP Fld+Pos HR AVG OBP SLG Off Def WAR
1 550 7.3% 10.2% 1.5% .280 -2.5 7 .260 .319 .360 -6 -3 1.1
2 550 7.3% 10.2% 2.5% .280 -2.5 11 .267 .325 .396 0 -3 1.7
3 550 7.3% 10.2% 1.5% .300 -2.5 7 .278 .335 .378 0 -3 1.7
4 550 7.3% 10.2% 2.5% .300 -2.5 11 .284 .341 .413 6 -3 2.4
Line 1 represents La Stella’s 2014 line according to Steamer, more or less. A 1.5% HRC is what La Stella recorded in 2013 at Mississippi, as well. Line 2 features 2.5% HRC, i.e. what La Stella has posted over the entirety of his minor-league career. It wouldn’t be surprising, necessarily, for La Stella to hit for more power, either, as he advances toward complete physical maturity. Line 3 features La Stella with his Steamer home-run projection, but with a major-league average BABIP. Not an impossibility, that. Finally, Line 4 is an example of La Stella recording the more productive versions of his HRC% and BABIP. It’s probably hard to get much more reasonably optimistic than this final example, in terms of La Stella’s true talent.

The projections aren't very kind to him right now outside of anticipating that his home run contact % will go up some.

thethe
10-24-2013, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't expect all that much from LaStella in his first season. But considering second base was a big negative last year even someone producing at the above levels would be nice.

yeezus
10-24-2013, 01:00 PM
The projections aren't very kind to him right now outside of anticipating that his home run contact % will go up some.

I'm fine with the averages, any of them are possible, but I think his BB% will be better than the projections.

thethe
10-24-2013, 04:20 PM
LaStella hit his first homer today.

1 for 3 still without a strikeout.

skillet
10-24-2013, 05:23 PM
I would think a good guess as to Tommy's first year might be something like .275/.350/.400/.750. He has too good of location recognition to have much lower OBP, and quite possibly it could be higher. He rarely swings at balls outside of the strike zone.

Bye Week
10-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Through 8 games, 36 plate appearances, Tommy's slash line is .400/.583/.640/1.223 with 11 walks and 0 strikeouts. Incredible.

Hot damn

50PoundHead
10-24-2013, 06:15 PM
I would think a good guess as to Tommy's first year might be something like .275/.350/.400/.750. He has too good of location recognition to have much lower OBP, and quite possibly it could be higher. He rarely swings at balls outside of the strike zone.

I think you'd have to shave some off the SLG you've projected. I'm guessing something Gregor Blanco-like in that his SLG may be lower than his OBP. I'd guess his OPS would be anywhere between .675 and .725, but I have no way of quantifying my prediction.

skillet
10-24-2013, 06:43 PM
A good rough guess as to a major league equivalent might be somewhere in the 85% range. His career minor league slash is .327/.412/.496/.908. 85% of each of those is .278/.350/.422/.772.

skillet
10-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Tommy through 9 games .379/.550/.690/1.240 with 11 walks, still 0 strikeouts in 40 plate appearances.

zitothebrave
10-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I think you'd have to shave some off the SLG you've projected. I'm guessing something Gregor Blanco-like in that his SLG may be lower than his OBP. I'd guess his OPS would be anywhere between .675 and .725, but I have no way of quantifying my prediction.

I really think that Tommy offensively will wind up a lot like Dustin Pedroia. Good across the board but not really great. I don't get where people are coming up with the idea that he doesn't have too much power.

thethe
10-24-2013, 06:58 PM
I really think that Tommy offensively will wind up a lot like Dustin Pedroia. Good across the board but not really great. I don't get where people are coming up with the idea that he doesn't have too much power.

I think his first year would be an adjustment but I think he will be just fine offensively.

50PoundHead
10-24-2013, 07:05 PM

He has doubles power, but from his early career, I don't see him as a double-digit HR guy. Of course, that's why we wait to let them play.

zitothebrave
10-24-2013, 08:40 PM
He has doubles power, but from his early career, I don't see him as a double-digit HR guy. Of course, that's why we wait to let them play.

That's not far from Pedroia who averages about 13 homers a full season.

thethe
10-24-2013, 08:42 PM
I really don't care about homeruns. I care about good AB's and linedrives.

zitothebrave
10-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I really don't care about homeruns. I care about good AB's and linedrives.

You should care about homers, everything is a factor for a player. That said if all Tommy amounts to is Placido Polanco with more walks and less defense, I won't complain at all.

I know I'm about to go full thethe but I don't see Tommy being any worse than a good major league hitter. only question on him is defense. Which I think is blown out of proportion.

KB21
10-24-2013, 10:35 PM
This guy is a smaller version of Matt Carpenter. Great eye at the plate, doubles power, great contact hitter, average to below average in the field.

50PoundHead
10-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I really don't care if he hits HRs either, but he's probably not going to have an isoSLG above .125 if he doesn't.

thethe
10-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I really don't care if he hits HRs either, but he's probably not going to have an isoSLG above .125 if he doesn't.

I exported all statistical data from fangraphs and did the following filters:

HR's: >=5 & <=8
OBP: > 330 (I believe LaStella will have that)
ABs: > 300

Only 13 players qualified for this filtering all year and 7 of them had over an isoSLG of .125

I think your number though is pretty spot on. But, if he had a slash of 280/340/400 I think we should be elated.

GovClintonTyree
10-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Will he hit more than .179, you think?

KB21
10-25-2013, 08:17 AM
I exported all statistical data from fangraphs and did the following filters:

HR's: >=5 & <=8
OBP: > 330 (I believe LaStella will have that)
ABs: > 300

Only 13 players qualified for this filtering all year and 7 of them had over an isoSLG of .125

I think your number though is pretty spot on. But, if he had a slash of 280/340/400 I think we should be elated.

Well, Matt Carpenter's triple slash at the minor league level was .297/.417/.461 with 13 home runs, 29 doubles, and 3 triples in 451 official at bats. His career minor league ISO was .167

Tommy La Stella's triple slash is currently .327/.411/.496 with 20 HR, 57 2B, and 13 3B in 847 official at bats. His career minor league ISO is .169.

Carpenter in his first full ML season posted .294/.365/.463 with 6 HR and 22 2B with an ISO of .169.

thethe
10-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Well, Matt Carpenter's triple slash at the minor league level was .297/.417/.461 with 13 home runs, 29 doubles, and 3 triples in 451 official at bats. His career minor league ISO was .167

Tommy La Stella's triple slash is currently .327/.411/.496 with 20 HR, 57 2B, and 13 3B in 847 official at bats. His career minor league ISO is .169.

Carpenter in his first full ML season posted .294/.365/.463 with 6 HR and 22 2B with an ISO of .169.

Carpenter is a little bigger than LaStella so i could see the power developing as he reaches his prime years but I agree in principal. For some odd reason LaStella is being looked over by our fanbase. He has destroyed minor league pitching thus far.

50PoundHead
10-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Will he hit more than .179, you think?

Easily.

I'm not trying to dis La Stella. I don't trust MLEs that much and I think a big difference between Carpenter and La Stella is their physical size. I think La Stella would have better contact numbers than Carpenter, but I don't think he could ever hit 50 2Bs in a season. We'll just have to see what happens.

nsacpi
10-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Carpenter and La Stella both spent their age 24 seasons in AA. At age 25, Carpenter spent most of the year in AAA. We shouldn't underrate the difficulty of jumping from AA to the majors. The fact that some players do it does not mean that it is easy or that everyone can do it successfully. The Braves have jumped Heyward, Simmons and Gattis in recent years. Freeman spent almost a full year in AAA. Is it a coincidence that Freeman is our most mature, consistent hitter? Maybe. But I think in general it helps to have a player spend half a season to a season in AAA.

thethe
10-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Carpenter and La Stella both spent their age 24 seasons in AA. At age 25, Carpenter spent most of the year in AAA. We shouldn't underrate the difficulty of jumping from AA to the majors. The fact that some players do it does not mean that it is easy or that everyone can do it successfully. The Braves have jumped Heyward, Simmons and Gattis in recent years. Freeman spent almost a full year in AAA. Is it a coincidence that Freeman is our most mature, consistent hitter? Maybe. But I think in general it helps to have a player spend half a season to a season in AAA.

Fair point. I think I am just so sick of Uggla that I want some fresh blood at second base. I wouldn't mind LaStella being in AAA if we got someone like Infante.

nsacpi
10-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Fair point. I think I am just so sick of Uggla that I want some fresh blood at second base. I wouldn't mind LaStella being in AAA if we got someone like Infante.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have some combination of Pena/Pastornicky/Uggla hold down the fort while La Stella went to finishing school for 2-3 months. There is a benefit also in terms of his service clock. The Braves tend not to pay much attention to that but some other teams do. The Rays for example were quite careful about when they called up Wil Myers.

thethe
10-25-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't think this team can bring back Uggla. He has been brutal for a LONG time. Its time to move on. I'd rather see Pastor everyday than Uggla.

nsacpi
10-25-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't think this team can bring back Uggla. He has been brutal for a LONG time. Its time to move on. I'd rather see Pastor everyday than Uggla.

There is no harm in letting them battle it out in spring training.

JohnAdcox
10-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Me, too.

thethe
10-25-2013, 10:48 AM
There is no harm in letting them battle it out in spring training.

I think its an unnecessary distraction. I think it also sends a message that this team will not tolerate absolute suckage.

nsacpi
10-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I think its an unnecessary distraction. I think it also sends a message that this team will not tolerate absolute suckage.

They're pros. Not little kids with ADD.

thethe
10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
They are humans. I believe distractions in a clubhouse are real.

Teheran_49
10-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Offensively I think that's a good comparison. I don't think there's any reason Tommy can't have a rookie year similar to Pedroia's. Honestly I don't see how anyone can doubt this guy offensively. He's mashing the AFL as if it's HS competition and he's always produced at every level he's ever played. Your talking about a guy whose lowest OPS in a year was .855 yet has never hit more than 10 HR's. The guy is a run producer, doesn't strike out, walks, hits doubles, and is a team leader. Trust me, if you watch him at the plate you would know that he has plenty of power and hits to all fields.

Tommy could hit 20 HR's if he wanted to but he doesn't swing for the fences on every pitch he sees(you know like that guy we have now who pulls everything) which is exactly what this team needs. If he stays healthy I will guarantee this guy will be an all-star caliber 2B.

50PoundHead
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Offensively I think that's a good comparison. I don't think there's any reason Tommy can't have a rookie year similar to Pedroia's. Honestly I don't see how anyone can doubt this guy offensively. He's mashing the AFL as if it's HS competition and he's always produced at every level he's ever played. Your talking about a guy whose lowest OPS in a year was .855 yet has never hit more than 10 HR's. The guy is a run producer, doesn't strike out, walks, hits doubles, and is a team leader. Trust me, if you watch him at the plate you would know that he has plenty of power and hits to all fields.

Tommy could hit 20 HR's if he wanted to but he doesn't swing for the fences on every pitch he sees(you know like that guy we have now who pulls everything) which is exactly what this team needs. If he stays healthy I will guarantee this guy will be an all-star caliber 2B.

I seriously doubt that.

nsacpi
10-25-2013, 11:53 AM
They are humans. I believe distractions in a clubhouse are real.

If there is a 5% chance we can see Uggla go back to the form he had in the first half of 2013 (not exactly ancient history) when he had .738 OPS, then I would be willing to put up with these "distractions in the clubhouse."

Teheran_49
10-25-2013, 11:56 AM
I seriously doubt that.

I guarantee he could. The guy has really good power he just doesn't swing for the fences. Have you ever seen Tommy hit?

Teheran_49
10-25-2013, 12:05 PM
I seriously doubt that.

20 HR's isn't hard for any guy that has MLB talent. You do know that Andrelton hit all of one home run in 2011 in over 500 AB's and yet hit 17 last year in MLB. I mean you could argue age but 20 HR's is not some magical feat for anyone that is a major league hitter. It's pretty easy to attain if your swinging hard at every pitch you see.

50PoundHead
I guarantee he could. The guy has really good power he just doesn't swing for the fences. Have you ever seen Tommy hit?

No. But you can't guarantee anything, I know that much. For one thing, he has to stay on the field for a whole year.

thethe
There is no way that we can prove that. I really do hope though that your optimistic views on LaStella are correct. He is what the Braves need.

skillet
10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
This article gives even more reason to not trade for BP and pick up that 4 year commitment and instead go with Tommy.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2013/10/25/5024576/bloomberg-valuation-of-the-atlanta-braves-what-it-means

50PoundHead
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
If anyone in major league baseball could hit 20 HRs, there'd be a lot more guys with 20 HRs.

Teheran_49
10-25-2013, 03:50 PM
If anyone in major league baseball could hit 20 HRs, there'd be a lot more guys with 20 HRs.

I would be willing to guess most players that get 500 ABs have hit 20 HRs in their career.

50PoundHead
10-25-2013, 04:26 PM
I would be willing to guess most players that get 500 ABs have hit 20 HRs in their career.

In a season or in their entire career?

Checking at Baseball Reference, a grand total of 301 players (out of the 999 listed with at least 3,000 plate appearances have a HR/AB ratio of better than 1 in 25 (which equates to 20 HRs in 500 ABs). We can keep going and maybe La Stella can do it, but you're pretty much wrong on your macro-assumption on HR frequency.

CrimsonCowboy
10-25-2013, 08:28 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 8m
#Braves La Stella not in lineup, day off. Impressive in BP, used whole field, line drives everywhere. Serious, sharp guy, (4 yrs college).

thethe
10-25-2013, 08:30 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 8m
#Braves La Stella not in lineup, day off. Impressive in BP, used whole field, line drives everywhere. Serious, sharp guy, (4 yrs college).

I can't wait to see this guy in spring training. Need to give him a chance to make the club.

nsacpi
10-25-2013, 08:51 PM
DOB loved Ahmed after watching him in the AFL last year. Not saying that La Stella isn't a good prospect, but DOB (and others) gushing over Ahmed is a cautionary tale.

thethe
10-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Though a year younger Ahmed never had close tot he production as LaStella.

skillet
10-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Through ten games now, Tommy hitting .364/.523/.636/1.159 with 11 walks and still no strikeouts in 44 plate appearances. His bat is definitely special.

@KevinMcAlpin: Via the great @pgammo, #Braves 2B prospect Tommy La Stella is drawing comparisons to the Cardinals Matt Carpenter. Not bad company to join.

thethe
10-26-2013, 07:17 PM
It would be fracking amazing if we had the next Matt Carpenter.

Thanks for posting that skillet.

skillet
10-26-2013, 07:50 PM
It would be fracking amazing if we had the next Matt Carpenter.

Thanks for posting that skillet.

Let's compare minor league careers for Matt Carpenter and Tommy La Stella.

Carpenter (23-25 years old, low A through AAA) - .299/.408/.450/.858
La Stella (22-24 years old, low A through AA) - .327/.412/.496/.908

As you can see, Tommy compares at least as well if not better than Carpenter.

Now let's look at Carpenter's first year in the majors at age 26. .294/.365/.463/.828. Now Carpenter did have the benefit of playing 130 games in AAA as a 25 year old while Tommy has not yet played above AA yet, so I can see where he either could possibly use a month or two in Gwinnett to complete his seasoning, or he could have an adjustment period in the majors if he starts for us game 1. Either way, we should be very excited about the future of Tommy La Stella.

nsacpi
10-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Matt Carpenter is an enticing comparison for La Stella. But if you took a sample of players with similar hitting results at similar ages, Carpenter would be out there at the 95th percentile or so in terms of future major league performance.

Here is another comp worth pondering. At age 23, this left-handed hitting second baseman put up slash lines of .315/.391/.460 in 409 at bats in AAA. He had 52 walks and 41 strikeouts.

For five quatloos, name this future Brave second baseman.

His ceiling ended up being well below Carpenter's, but still I'd be happy if La Stella turned out to be a similar player.

nsacpi
10-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Here's another former Brave second baseman. At age 22 his put up slash lines of .300/.372/.797 in 440 ABs in AA. He had 50 walks and 53 strikeouts.

For eleven quatloos name this former Brave prospect.

nsacpi
10-27-2013, 11:50 AM
And another one. At age 24 he put up slash lines of .281/.408/.809 in 480 plate appearances in AA. He had 84 walks and 49 strikeouts!

For nineteen bitcoins name this former Braves infield prospect.

nsacpi
10-27-2013, 12:11 PM
I give hints:

The first player did not come up through the Braves farm system, had Bobby Cox as his Braves manager and is not Keith Lockhart.

The next two players were both drafted by the Braves in the same year and judging by their last names have the same ethnicity as La Stella.

depley
10-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Matt Carpenter is an enticing comparison for La Stella. But if you took a sample of players with similar hitting results at similar ages, Carpenter would be out there at the 95th percentile or so in terms of future major league performance.

Here is another comp worth pondering. At age 23, this left-handed hitting second baseman put up slash lines of .315/.391/.460 in 409 at bats in AAA. He had 52 walks and 41 strikeouts.

For five quatloos, name this future Brave second baseman.

His ceiling ended up being well below Carpenter's, but still I'd be happy if La Stella turned out to be a similar player.

I believe this would be Jeff treadway

50PoundHead
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I believe this would be Jeff treadway

Never thought of it, but Treadway could be a comp for La Stella. La Stella's minor league stats infer that he'd walk more, but the other stats may end up being similar. If La Stella could give us something in the range of Treadway's 1990 and 1991 seasons, that would be solid.

PS--Other two guys would be Ed Giovanola and Tony Graffanino. I was surprised to see that Graffanino actually managed to get 2,800 big league ABs over 13 seasons. I expect La Stella will be better than both of these guys.

thethe
10-28-2013, 04:43 PM
LaStella FINALLY struck out once in the AFL.

1 for 3 with a double today.

yeezus
10-28-2013, 04:54 PM

wow what an awful game.

Teheran_49
10-28-2013, 09:08 PM

What a terrible stat line. I like my 2B to go 0-3 with 2 k's and 5 men LOB, you know like the one we've had the past few years.

Tapate50
10-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Many scouts and other AFL observers were surprised that Simmons was the only Braves prospect selected to play in Saturday’s all-star game, as hot-hitting second-base prospect Tommy La Stella has been one of the big stories of the fall league.

La Stella entered Monday ranked among AFL leaders with a .364 batting average and was second in the league in on-base percentage (.523) and fourth in slugging percentage (.636).

La Stella’s double was one of three Scottsdale hits in Monday’s 4-0 loss to the Peoria Javelinas. He also flied out to the warning track in front of the 430 (feet) sign in center field at Scottsdale Stadium, and struck out for the first time in 37 at-bats this spring.

The AFL leader with 11 walks before Monday, La Stella struck out looking after falling behind 0-2, then working the count full and taking a pitch that appeared to be a bit outside.

The all-star game Saturday starts at 8 p.m. EDT and will be shown live on MLB Network.

thethe
10-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for those updates. Makes me feel even better about yesterday.

rico43
10-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Stats through 10/27:

Shae Simmons 5 G, 0 GS, 0-0, 0 saves, 5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 1.80
Northcraft 4 G, 4 GS, 1-3, 11 IP, 13 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, 13 K, 5.73
Juan Jaime 6 G, 0 GS, 0-0, 0 Sv, 8.2 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 8 K, 5.40
John Cornely 6 G, 0 GS, 1-0, 1 Sv, 5.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 9 K, 6.35

Kyle Kubitza 11 G, 33 AB, 5 R, 9 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .273, 14 K
Tommy LaStella 11 G, 37 AB, 6 R, 13 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 8 RBI, .351, 1 K, 1 SB
Elmer Reyes 7 G, 25 AB, 4 R, 7 H, 4 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .280, 4 K
Hefflinger 11 G, 42 AB, 4 R, 9 H, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .214, 18 K

Teheran_49
10-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Stats through 10/27:

Shae Simmons 5 G, 0 GS, 0-0, 0 saves, 5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 1.80
Northcraft 4 G, 4 GS, 1-3, 11 IP, 13 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, 13 K, 5.73
Juan Jaime 6 G, 0 GS, 0-0, 0 Sv, 8.2 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 8 K, 5.40
John Cornely 6 G, 0 GS, 1-0, 1 Sv, 5.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 9 K, 6.35

Kyle Kubitza 11 G, 33 AB, 5 R, 9 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .273, 14 K
Tommy LaStella 11 G, 37 AB, 6 R, 13 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 8 RBI, .351, 1 K, 1 SB
Elmer Reyes 7 G, 25 AB, 4 R, 7 H, 4 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .280, 4 K
Hefflinger 11 G, 42 AB, 4 R, 9 H, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .214, 18 K

Not the best of showings for Braves prospects. Obviously La Stella has done well but so has Elmer Reyes and Kubitza has a nice average but the 14 k's in 33 AB's is alarming. Shae has dominant stuff and could be special if he learns how to keep those walks down. I thought Northcraft would of had a better showing but he's getting lit up. I know Shae is no Craig Kimbrel but Craig also had a bit of a control issue in the minors that has obviously went away since becoming a ML player. I'm not a scout or know what's going on but maybe these guys are being told to work on their secondary pitches.

Tapate50
10-31-2013, 07:35 AM
I like the fact that TLS has 13 hits, and 7 are XBH

nsacpi
10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
The AFL is an extreme hitters league. The pitching stats are actually not bad considering. The four guys we have pitching there all have very good arms. Mostly they need to refine control and their second and third pitches.

thethe
10-31-2013, 08:16 AM
The AFL is an extreme hitters league. The pitching stats are actually not bad considering. The four guys we have pitching there all have very good arms. Mostly they need to refine control and their second and third pitches.

You once mentioned NOrthcraft as the guy who is the top of our AA and above level arms. I think you may have hit that one on the head.

Teheran_49
10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Cornely could be in our pen real soon and most likely will see time next year. I doubt he's ready by opening day but by mid season and definitely in September the guy should be in Atlanta. He must have some pretty good stuff as he's k'd quite a bit per inning in his couple years in the minors. He's a guy that isn't getting any pub but one that is close to being ready. We seem to have a few internal options and McDowell sure knows how to teach these guys when they get here.

CrimsonCowboy
11-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Two more hits today for La Stella. Now hitting .302 with an OBP of .443

Teheran_49
11-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Two more hits today for La Stella. Now hitting .302 with an OBP of .443

Good to see him get back on track.

rico43
11-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Two more hits today for La Stella. Now hitting .302 with an OBP of .443s

Kubitza has first AFL homer, Hefflinger gets triple. Simmons strikes out the side in his inning, Cornely had two whiffs in his inning.

CrimsonCowboy
11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Tonight and the next two nights, MLB Network will be showing Scottsdale games from the AFL, so we'll have a chance to see the Braves prospects in action.

Heyward
11-07-2013, 02:18 AM
Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo8m
Tommy LaStella was a '11 8th rounder out of Coastal Carolina by Atlanta. Now, with a .550 OBP/g 690 slug in AFL. Now? Matt Carpenter comps

Heyward
11-07-2013, 02:19 AM
PHOENIX—Tommy La Stella may be the best “under the radar” player among the current bevy of Arizona Fall League prospects.

The Scottsdale Scorpions second baseman is batting .364/.523/.636 at the midpoint of the season, ranking second in the league in both on-base average and OPS. Moreover, La Stella has yet to strike out in over 40 plate appearances while drawing 11 walks. His AFL performance comes after a strong year in which he batted a combined .346/.444/.492, mostly at the Double-A level in a season interrupted twice by nagging injuries.
Tommy-LaStella-2013-bm-300x211.jpg

Tommy La Stella (Photo by Bill Mitchell)

It’s not surprising that the lefthanded hitting La Stella, 24, isn’t yet a household name. The New Jersey native went undrafted after high school and played sparingly at St. John’s as a freshman before transferring to Coastal Carolina for two solid seasons. The Braves then drafted La Stella in the eighth round of the 2011 draft, assigning him to low Class A Rome to start his pro career.

La Stella is attracting attention in the AFL for his gritty play, gamer attitude and excellent approach at the plate. While scouts see his overall tool set as being somewhat limited, he’s regarded as having a “high floor” with the chance to be a regular second baseman in the big leagues.

That chance could come as soon as 2014 after his AFL turn, as the Braves search for answers at second after a rough season by Dan Uggla, who posted a .671 OPS in 2013 but is signed through 2015.

“He might be that guy that gets to the major leagues,” said one veteran scout covering the AFL, “and everyone says, ‘Where did that guy come from?’”

Scorpions hitting coach John Moses, who had La Stella for the early part of the 2013 season with the Braves’ high Class A Lynchburg affiliate, feels strongly that the 5-foot-11, 185-pound infielder can be a starter in the big leagues.

“He’s not a utility guy for me,” Moses said. “He’s going to be a second baseman—a starter,” he said. Moses went on to add that La Stella could slot into the number two spot in a batting order or, with his knack for getting on base, even bat in the leadoff position.

La Stella stands out for his approach at the plate, drawing more walks than strikeouts in his three-year minor league career. But he doesn’t let the extraordinary plate discipline keep him from going after good pitches. It’s a lesson he learned at an early age.

“When I was growing up my father was big on two strikes—shorten up, put the ball in play,” La Stella said. “That was something that was ingrained in me since the time I was a little kid . . . I’m not necessarily going to take away an aggressive swing if I get a pitch to hit, but at the same time I’m a little more focused. If it’s close to the zone I get the bat on it.”

Moses agrees that that La Stella’s solid approach is something that comes natural to him.

“It’s an ability. It takes guys really a long period of time to be able to acquire that, but he just has it,” Moses said. “It’s built-in. He’s very confident at the plate, he’s confident with two strikes, he puts the ball in play, and he just does pretty much everything you could ask of a guy.”

That self-confidence is what La Stella acknowledges as the most important lesson he’s learned from the Braves organization.

“It’s huge for any ballplayer to be confident at the plate and in the field,” La Stella said, “and the Braves have always been big on that with me, instilling confidence in me so that I can go out and do the job. Believing in myself is the most important thing.”

La Stella has also continuously made adjustments as he’s progressed through the farm system, seeing better quality pitching at each level.

“One of the biggest things for me was refining my approach,” La Stella said, “and coming up with something I’m confident in. Going into every game I can go back to when things weren’t going well, and I can always revert back to my approach, something I really honed in on.

“It’s still a work in progress. You never really stop learning in this game.”

But enough about La Stella’s offense. He’s been sent to Arizona to also work on his defense, the area of his game needing the most improvement, with scouts grading him as a below-average or fringy defender at the keystone. In addition, he’s still building strength in his elbow after some early season inflammation.

While it’s obvious that hitting is La Stella’s passion, he knows what’s needed to improve his glovework.

“My double play turns could be a little crisper,” La Stella said. “The ground balls, the range—everything. The arm strength on the double play turns—everything could be a little bit sharper and a little more crisp. It’s just something I need to work on while I’m out here and then again obviously in the offseason.”

http://www.baseballa...l88eZu6V5OByDvJ

Heyward
11-07-2013, 02:22 AM
feature story ($) on #Braves 2B prospect Tommy La Stella: "I'm knocking on the door. I want to kick it down." http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-2b-prospect-la-stella-poised-ready-for-oppo/nbhMh/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcst ub2 …

The Chosen One
11-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Is there some way we can mold La Stella in the AFL into not being a humble professional loser, so when the playoffs comes he doesn't choke? Worked for Chris Johnson.

Tapate50
11-07-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/45054/3/almost-ready-afl-prospects?pg=1

"Almost Ready AFL Prospects"

Tommy LaStella
The Braves famously left veteran Dan Uggla off the postseason roster and have been linked to any available second baseman in trade talks. With $26 million left on his contract, it's kind of hard to believe they won't bring him to Spring Training if they can't trade him. But it's also easy to see that they'll probably have a better backup plan than Elliot Johnson this time around. Enter LaStella. By walking a ton, not striking out, and showing good power in Arizona, he's climbed to the top of statistical leader boards. And, since he played Double-A last year, and walked a ton and didn't strike out much -- and showed some pop -- these things are relevant. Expect him to challenge for the major league starting job from day one, especially with this showing. And he could be a five-category producer at second, even if the power isn't major league average right out of the gate.

thethe
11-07-2013, 09:28 AM
I think people better get used to the idea that TLS is going to be the Braves every day second baseman next year.

CrimsonCowboy
11-07-2013, 01:23 PM
I think people better get used to the idea that TLS is going to be the Braves every day second baseman next year.

I can live with that

skillet
11-07-2013, 01:24 PM

I SO hope you are right.

yeezus
11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/45054/3/almost-ready-afl-prospects?pg=1

"Almost Ready AFL Prospects"

Tommy LaStella
The Braves famously left veteran Dan Uggla off the postseason roster and have been linked to any available second baseman in trade talks. With $26 million left on his contract, it's kind of hard to believe they won't bring him to Spring Training if they can't trade him. But it's also easy to see that they'll probably have a better backup plan than Elliot Johnson this time around. Enter LaStella. By walking a ton, not striking out, and showing good power in Arizona, he's climbed to the top of statistical leader boards. And, since he played Double-A last year, and walked a ton and didn't strike out much -- and showed some pop -- these things are relevant. Expect him to challenge for the major league starting job from day one, especially with this showing. And he could be a five-category producer at second, even if the power isn't major league average right out of the gate.

Unfortunately I was told the Braves don't believe he is the answer in 2014, so this is all not worth talking about.

Heyward
11-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately I was told the Braves don't believe he is the answer in 2014, so this is all not worth talking about.

And who told you this, the tooth fairy?

Kidding but anyone credible?

yeezus
11-07-2013, 04:06 PM
And who told you this, the tooth fairy?

Kidding but anyone credible?

someone on the board, i'm being sarcastic.

Jay212033
11-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Shae Simmons looked great tonight! He has 2 big league pitches. When you can crank it up to 97 at the knees with movement and pair that with a 82 mph wicked slider that the recipe for another dominant reliever.

skillet
11-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Good write-up on Tommy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/atl/braves-infielder-tommy-la-stellas-contact-bat-makes-infielder-a-solid-prospect?ymd=20131108&content_id=63785730&vkey=news_atl

Through 16 games, 70 plate appearances, his slash line is .304/.443/.482/.925 with 14 walks to only 4 strike outs. He just continues to impress. Watched him play last night and he looked very solid at 2nd, nothing flashy, maybe not optimal range, but made all the plays to include a very good scoop on a tough grounder. You can tell when watching him hit that he really knows the strike zone. He simply doesn't swing at balls outside the strike zone. He has incredible plate awareness.

nsacpi
11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Even though La Stella got off to the hot start and got all the publicity, Kubitza has ended up also having an impressive AFL season.

Kubitza's slash lines: .305/.431/.888

La Stella: .290/.436/.904

Kubitza is a year and a half younger and is also considered to be a better defender at his position. Also has more defensive versatility as someone who can play first and corner outfield in addition to his usual third base.

thethe
11-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Even though La Stella got off to the hot start and got all the publicity, Kubitza has ended up also having an impressive AFL season.

Kubitza is a year and a half younger and is also considered to be a better defender at his position. Also has more defensive versatility as someone who can play first and corner outfield in addition to his usual third base.

I think our fans are going to be surprised when the farm system ranking come around. Braves have a lot of under the radar prospects that are close to contributing at the major league level. The potential stars are in the lower minor leagues but in the meantime there will be several players that contribute at the major league level in a support role.

nsacpi
11-15-2013, 11:23 AM
I think our fans are going to be surprised when the farm system ranking come around. Braves have a lot of under the radar prospects that are close to contributing at the major league level. The potential stars are in the lower minor leagues but in the meantime there will be several players that contribute at the major league level in a support role.

I agree. A lot of years the Triple A team is stuffed with journeymen career minor leaguer types. Next season we're going to have a AAA team mostly made up of real prospects, especially on the pitching staff. Not high ceiling guys, but players who can still contribute as role players at the major league level. Many of them college players taken in the 2010 and 2011 drafts.

I think there has been an overall strategy with recent drafts. The 2010 and 2011 drafts were done with the need to replenish our depth in the upper level minors in mind. Having accomplished this, we've seen more high ceiling/high risk high school players drafted in 2012 and 2013, a trend I expect to see continue with the 2014 draft.

yeezus
11-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I think we have A LOT of solid guys coming in to the upper levels. Like you said, not stars, but solid contributors, and a lot of them.

thethe
11-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Its those kinds of players that have resulted in the Braves having the most productive farm system in the last 10 years. Just producing solid guys with a sprinkling of stars.

nsacpi
11-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Potential pitching staff in Gwinnett: Hale, Martin, Gilmartin, Thomas, Northcraft, Buchter, Obispo, Simmons, Harper, Jaime, Lamm, Hoyt, Schlosser.

We have a bit of a surplus there, especially in terms of right-handed arms. Where possible you trade from areas of strength. We saw a hint of that last year in the Rasmus for Downs trade. I think we'll see more where the surplus of near-major league ready right-handers will be used to fill in whatever holes develop.

zitothebrave
11-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I think we have A LOT of solid guys coming in to the upper levels. Like you said, not stars, but solid contributors, and a lot of them.

That's how the Braves have been drafting for the last 4 years or so. Solid players. It seems like their strategy is to try to keep a few stars and then build around them. For us those guys would be Jason, Justin, and Freddie, and to slight lesser Simmons, Minor, Medlen, and Julio.

Braves would be wise though not to get too wrapped up inkeeping thier pitching together, I prefer the Rays way of keeping pitchers around then trading them for max value to bolster your farm.

zitothebrave
11-16-2013, 08:47 AM

There's a reason Tommy got all the Press, because he is major league ready and kept on doing what he does best, hit. Of course there are defensive concerns and a season in AA like he posted in the AFL would certianly bolster Kubitza but to me he ahs the same big question mark as Tommy did going into this year, can he continue his success into AA. If he does he'll be more legit, if he doesn't there will be a huge red flag.

clvclv
11-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Potential pitching staff in Gwinnett: Hale, Martin, Gilmartin, Thomas, Northcraft, Buchter, Obispo, Simmons, Harper, Jaime, Lamm, Hoyt, Schlosser.

We have a bit of a surplus there, especially in terms of right-handed arms. Where possible you trade from areas of strength. We saw a hint of that last year in the Rasmus for Downs trade. I think we'll see more where the surplus of near-major league ready right-handers will be used to fill in whatever holes develop.

Plus Graham at some point.

thethe
11-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Graham will be a key member of the major league bullpen by June.

nsacpi
11-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Hale made a strong impression at the end of last season. I suspect he is the one who would start out in the pole position in terms of being the next one to get a shot in the majors.

rico43
11-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Finall AFL stats, 2013:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG. SB
Kubitza 19 59 11 18 2 2 1 5 .305 1
La Stella 18 62 6 18 6 1 1 10 .290 1
E. Reyes 14 43 6 11 4 0 0 3 .256 0
Hefflinger 20 `74 8` 14 2 1 1 7 .189 0

G GS W/L Sv. IP H R ER BB K ERA
Northcraft 7 7 1-5 0 18 23 19 16 15 19 8.00
Cornely 11 0 1-0 1 12 10 7 6 13 16 4.63
Jaime 10 0 0-0 0 10 11 8 7 7 15 6.10
Simmons 9 0 0-0 0 10 6 1 1 7 13 0.00

thethe
11-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Simmons is going to be yet another dominant bullpen arm produced by this farm system.

skidlee
11-17-2013, 09:25 PM
http://berniepleskoff.mlblogs.com/

Bernie Pleskoff blog on the AFL

here is what he said about LeStalla

I don’t see why Braves Tommy La Stella can’t play 2B for the Braves at some point in the coming season. He’s a gritty, hustling contact hitter.

thethe
11-18-2013, 06:11 AM
http://berniepleskoff.mlblogs.com/

Bernie Pleskoff blog on the AFL

here is what he said about LeStalla

I don’t see why Braves Tommy La Stella can’t play 2B for the Braves at some point in the coming season. He’s a gritty, hustling contact hitter.

Braves will have TLS/Pena/Pastor/Uggla compete in ST and whoever has the best one will be the starting second baseman and if all things are equal I think TLS gets the nod.

skillet
11-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Braves will have TLS/Pena/Pastor/Uggla compete in ST and whoever has the best one will be the starting second baseman and if all things are equal I think TLS gets the nod.

I mostly agree, with a couple exceptions. If Wren can find a dance partner that will take on whatever he considers to be enough of Dan's contract, Uggla will then be traded leaving those three. I also think Rev and Tommy have a leg up on Pena, whom I think they view and believe brings more value to this team as a super sub than a regular.

50PoundHead
11-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Can't access the BA Top 20, but La Stella and Simmons are on it (don't know where they are ranked). No Braves on MLB Top 20.

clvclv
11-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Can't access the BA Top 20, but La Stella and Simmons are on it (don't know where they are ranked). No Braves on MLB Top 20.

Neither made the BA Top 20...both were listed as "Other AFL Players To Watch".

50PoundHead
11-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Neither made the BA Top 20...both were listed as "Other AFL Players To Watch".

Thanks. Couldn't access the article, but I saw their names listed in the link.

nsacpi
11-20-2013, 10:43 PM
There was a lot of talent in the AFL. Much more than in your typical regular season minor league.

I think La Stella, Kubitza and Simmons all advanced their stature as prospects.