PDA

View Full Version : Next years payroll

Hudson2
05-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Bowman is saying we have 50 million to spend in the offseason. What would you spend it on?

CJ9
05-01-2018, 11:07 AM
AJ Pollock in left field is the biggest no brainer out there for me. He'll be 31 most of next season which isn't ideal, but he's a strong defender, which AA values, and is putting it all together at the plate. I think he makes perfect sense for us.

I'm still not completely sold on Riley, so I'd at least be involved in the Donaldson talks but it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.

I wouldn't sign Kimbrel and I hope Anthopoulos is smart enough not to give big money for extended deals to relievers, but I wouldn't be very surprised if he's back in Atlanta next year.

The part that's hardest to predict is what we do in trades. I think that'll be a big part of this, but just tough to know who will be available.

Managuarantano's Volunteers
05-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Saw this post by rajah on TalkingChop - apparently we have a debt problem causing a lower payroll: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/5/2/17313674/the-braves-debt

zbhargrove
05-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Machado and Harper

bravesfanMatt
05-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Neck 2 year extension.

zbhargrove
05-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Neck 2 year extension.

Let's also see what we have in Flaherty

zbhargrove
05-04-2018, 10:47 PM
For real though... if I squint I can see us signing Machado and Pollock. Let's also trade for Realmuto and some bullpen pieces and call it good. Easy as pie. I think our starting pitching will be fine and it's a waste of resources to trade for an ace now.

bravesfanMatt
05-04-2018, 10:59 PM
I refuse to talk about next years payroll until we finally all agree on the great Folty/Newcomb debate..

jpx7
05-04-2018, 11:02 PM
I refuse to talk about next years payroll until we finally all agree on the great Folty/Newcomb debate..

The answer is “Soroka”.

Enscheff
05-05-2018, 01:13 AM
Main issue facing the Braves is that they are something like $660M in debt and only had profits of $7M last year. MLB rules dictate a team can’t have more than 12x yearly profit in total debt.

So the Braves either need to get profits closer to $55M, or substantially pay down that debt. The easiest way to increase profit is to cut payroll, which is what we saw happen this season. Hopefully they can have the $120M+ payroll we are hoping for next season.

zbhargrove
05-05-2018, 01:52 AM
Main issue facing the Braves is that they are something like $660M in debt and only had profits of $7M last year. MLB rules dictate a team can’t have more than 12x yearly profit in total debt.

So the Braves either need to get profits closer to $55M, or substantially pay down that debt. The easiest way to increase profit is to cut payroll, which is what we saw happen this season. Hopefully they can have the $120M+ payroll we are hoping for next season.

This was all covered verbatim like 6-8 posts up.

DirkPiggler
05-05-2018, 07:57 AM

I smell some "creative accounting" coming soon. At least I hope that is the case.

They need to get the Battery off the books of the major league team somehow, while keeping the income streams. Maybe spin off the real estate interests into a separate entity, then lease them back to the Braves at a below market rate.

It's going to be one hell of a letdown if the new stadium revenue bump is more than offset by cuts to get within MLB debt limit rules.

TheBravos
05-05-2018, 09:01 AM
The Brave’s payroll next year is $46 mil. That’s “if” we keep Julio and pay him 11mil and pick up the option on McCarthy also. Take that $19 mil off and “could” be sitting at $27 mil. Add back the other arb salaries at say $30 million (because we won’t keep all of them), and that puts the payroll at $57 mil...so we could spend a little over $60 mil (assuming payroll sits at $120 mil).

I think at least one (and probably two) of Folty, Julio and McCarthy will not be here. This depends on how Gohara and Allard progress of course. Rotation “could” be
Newk, Gohara, Soroka, Allard and one of the three above. That would have FOUR pitchers on rookie wages. We might even go after a ace, but either way...past that...we will have four solid options.

I think Riley is a lock if he keeps to the same path for next year. If I’m AA...why go spend big money on a position that will not be a weakness. Riley might not be a super star, but he will be above average, dirt cheap and an immeadiate upgrade.

Maybe drop some money in the pen. Spend say $15 mil on two guys? Then what? Drop some money on an outfield position and bench?

What’s left? Catcher? Signing Suzuki and Flowers back would be fine for a year or two.

If we are careful...a couple of the “right” trades and a few good contracts will load this team up. I don’t think we have to sign a Machado or Harper to load down the payroll and possibly keep from locking up a ton of these rookies (Soroka, Acuna, Albies)...long term.

TheBravos
05-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Seeming a lot easier these days...Newk.

TheBravos
05-05-2018, 09:12 AM
AJ Pollock in left field is the biggest no brainer out there for me. He'll be 31 most of next season which isn't ideal, but he's a strong defender, which AA values, and is putting it all together at the plate. I think he makes perfect sense for us.

I'm still not completely sold on Riley, so I'd at least be involved in the Donaldson talks but it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.

I wouldn't sign Kimbrel and I hope Anthopoulos is smart enough not to give big money for extended deals to relievers, but I wouldn't be very surprised if he's back in Atlanta next year.

The part that's hardest to predict is what we do in trades. I think that'll be a big part of this, but just tough to know who will be available.

So you want to be “in” on signing a then 33 year old to a big contract in his declining years?...but you figure Riley just won’t cut it? I can see if we go after Machado sure. Why in the world would you want Danaldson at his price and age, but have no interest in Riley on a minimum salary? Might as well just bring Joey bats in that case....

Bravesfan
05-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Albies
Acuña Jr
Freeman
Machado

Good luck facing that. Yeesh.

TheBravos
05-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Albies
Acuña Jr
Freeman
Machado

Good luck facing that. Yeesh.

In that case could Riley play left?

Machado wants to go back to SS btw

The Chosen One
05-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Cya later Dans.

Bravesfan
05-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Im not sure if its the best long term decision. Buts its appetizing to think about adding Manny to the mix. If he wants SS then Dansby has to go. I like Dansby but he isnt Machado.

CJ9
05-05-2018, 09:55 AM
So you want to be “in” on signing a then 33 year old to a big contract in his declining years?...but you figure Riley just won’t cut it? I can see if we go after Machado sure. Why in the world would you want Danaldson at his price and age, but have no interest in Riley on a minimum salary? Might as well just bring Joey bats in that case....

Because I’m not convinced Riley will be good.

TheBravos
05-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Because I’m not convinced Riley will be good.

Not as much Riley being good, but paying a guy (any guy), to a big contract in declining years. We just got rid of Kemp’s contract.

CJ9
05-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Not as much Riley being good, but paying a guy (any guy), to a big contract in declining years. We just got rid of Kemp’s contract.

You should probably go back and read what I wrote. Pretty clearly said that I’d be involved in the Donaldson talks but “it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.”

Hudson2
05-05-2018, 10:22 AM
I know it’s a long shot but Machado or Harper make a ton of sense. Anybody who looks at the Braves are gonna see Albies, Acuna, Swanson, Freeman, Soroka and the other young guys and how good we will be for a long time and will wanna be a part of it. Machado or Harper would fit in perfectly with the bunch we have. Harper fits the bigger need of the 2 but his personality is also a little more toxic so that’s why I would lean towards going after Machado. 8/260 get it done?

jpx7
05-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Early returns have been negative across the board and suggest he should return/stick to 3B.

TheBravos
05-05-2018, 10:26 AM
You should probably go back and read what I wrote. Pretty clearly said that I’d be involved in the Donaldson talks but “it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.”

He will want a long term deal no matter what we are paying him a year. Better to find a young up and coming guy to gamble on. What exactly has Riley not done for you? He is pretty young to even be in AA. Just not sure why some people are so low on him. I don’t expect him to really be a star, but feel pretty comfortable about him being a above average starter. Even scouts that didn’t like him have admited he’s made adjustments and has improved in all areas.

CJ9
05-05-2018, 10:31 AM
He will want a long term deal no matter what we are paying him a year. Better to find a young up and coming guy to gamble on. What exactly has Riley not done for you? He is pretty young to even be in AA. Just not sure why some people are so low on him. I don’t expect him to really be a star, but feel pretty comfortable about him being a above average starter. Even scouts that didn’t like him have admited he’s made adjustments and has improved in all areas.

I hope he’s awesome and proves me wrong, just not fully buying the bat yet. I’ve seen a lot of his at bats in the last two years, and he struggles to hit velocity. Add in his strikeout numbers and not having good walk numbers, and I’m just not very high on him. I know I’m probably in the minority on here and that’s fine. I definitely hope I’m wrong.

Heyward
05-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Not sure i'd spend on 3B with progression of Camargo and Riley.

SP are some options but i dont know if AA spends on that.

As someone else said, AJ Pollock seems like a no-brainer, only issue is how many years. Pollock-Ender-Acuna would be a nasty outfield to have.

Depending on his price, i wouldnt be against going for Grandal, and signing one of Suzuki/Flowers back.

I'd look to get a veteran arm, i dont know if AA will go all out for Kimbrel. Wouldnt hate it but not sure thats his style.

As has been said as well, the biggest thing next winter is going to be trades. AA will have had a year to see the system and what prospects are what. Not sure he guts the farm for anyone but he would have had time to see the farm.

It will be interesting.

Garmel
05-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Would Pollock come here knowing he has to play a corner outfield position?

jpx7
05-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Would Pollock come here knowing he has to play a corner outfield position?

Depends on the money, I’d think; but given his age and injury history, you’d think the team could sell him on a move helping his longevity, at the right price. But Enscheff speculated there are enough teams that’ll be willing to pay him more to play CF than the Braves will be willing to pay him to play RF.

chop2chip
05-05-2018, 12:49 PM
McGuirk is such a slime ball. Right after the team built Sun Trust Park he ran to the AJC claiming the Braves would have top ten payrolls and now he’s suggesting payroll will be limited until the debt is paid off, which may be a while! How convenient for the beneficiaries of this new stadium that’s significantly increased the franchise value that they have this wonderful excuse to prevent raising payroll.

What a joke. This team should have stayed at Turner.

jpx7
05-05-2018, 01:28 PM
McGuirk is such a slime ball. Right after the team built Sun Trust Park he ran to the AJC claiming the Braves would have top ten payrolls and now he’s suggesting payroll will be limited until the debt is paid off, which may be a while! How convenient for the beneficiaries of this new stadium that’s significantly increased the franchise value that they have this wonderful excuse to prevent raising payroll.

This was always one part of the slimy implicit of the move, was obvious to those of us who were skeptics and critics of the move to Cobb County, and shouldn’t come as a great surprise to those who were boosters of the move.

chop2chip
05-05-2018, 01:42 PM
This was always one part of the slimy implicit of the move, was obvious to those of us who were skeptics and critics of the move to Cobb County, and shouldn’t come as a great surprise to those who were boosters of the move.
A Faustian bargain at its best. I think the optimists held their nose at the stench of the chicanery with the expectation we would get higher payrolls. Without the higher payroll there is nothing to mask the grossness.

chopdrew
05-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Anyone who thinks this team should've stayed at Turner hasn't been to the new park.

cajunrevenge
05-06-2018, 10:45 AM

that's just about his payday. Once he gets the big contract so doubt he cares. Plus we have the recent legacy of a great 3B that came up as a SS to follow.

If we sign him without trading for him we would have an uber versatile team. Machado starts at 3B and can backup SS if Dansby goes down. Riley should be capable of starting in LF and backing up 3B and 1B. Beyond that Camargo is a great super sub. Maybe add a good defensive catcher that's good with the pitching staff if we can't keep Flowers and/or Suzuki and a championship caliber team imo. We wouldn't even need our pitching prospects to become aces with position players like that.

Carp
05-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Core of the team being locked up for 3+ years gives us a ton of flexibility. With our competitive window now open, we can afford a little luxury. So I'd spend the money this way:

BP. Sign Kimbrel. A great fit for our current need and future payrolls.

LF. Not much on the FA front aside from Pollock. Rather not give 125 million (or more) to a 31 year old OFer. So likely trade at this point.

C. Honestly, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Part of me wants to go after Grandal, but Suzuki and Flowers are a great combo. I'd look to bring both back.

SP. Gio Gonzalez will be the prize of the off-season here on the FA front. But I can't see us spending that sort of cash on a pitcher giving our current state. I'd consider bringing McCarthy back (or a similar pitcher) as a veteran presence and allow the 2nd wave of pitching prospects to get their feet wet slowly at the ML level.