PDA

View Full Version : Any X-Men fans?

thethe
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I just wanted to say that I loved First Class. I saw it when it came out but I have it on Tivo and just watch it over and over.

By far the best comic book movie that has ever come out.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Bj1133
10-14-2013, 08:17 PM
It wasn't too bad - better than the other X-Men movies that have come out. Didn't really make sense to me that they chose the "students" that they did. Why not have the original 5 X-Men (Besat, Cyclops, Jean, Angel, and Iceman)?

Also, I've been really disappointed with the lack of action in these movies. They are mutants with bad ass powers - use them and use them often.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to the next one coming out next year.

thethe
10-14-2013, 08:27 PM
I liked the way they produced First Class. The new twist to these superhero movies, which I love, is to try and create a world where the viewer can "believe" this can happen. I don't think a movie with a bunch of special effects does that. There were plenty of instances of the use of their mutant powers but it wasn't overdone. I thought it was brilliantly done.

Bj1133
10-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I was a big fan of how The Avengers movie was put together - plenty of storyline early on and then the scene in New York was fantastic. Because First Class was the initial movie in a franchise and it showed many of the students learning to harness their powers, I can see why the powers didn't show up much. Maybe we will see a difference in this upcoming movie.

Also, it still amazes me that Gambit has not been used more in the X-Men movies. He had a minor role in the first Wolverine movie, but he was by far the most popular character among my age group growing up and I'm smack dab in the middle of the target audience for these movies.

thethe
10-14-2013, 08:39 PM
I was a big fan of how The Avengers movie was put together - plenty of storyline early on and then the scene in New York was fantastic. Because First Class was the initial movie in a franchise and it showed many of the students learning to harness their powers, I can see why the powers didn't show up much. Maybe we will see a difference in this upcoming movie.

Also, it still amazes me that Gambit has not been used more in the X-Men movies. He had a minor role in the first Wolverine movie, but he was by far the most popular character among my age group growing up and I'm smack dab in the middle of the target audience for these movies.

Growing up, I never understood why Gambit was always so popular. I was always a Mangeto and Wolverine guy. Although not a major character Apocalypse was by far my favorite. I am still praying that he will be in one of these movies.

zitothebrave
10-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I haven't seen First Class but of the Original Trilogy they really went down hill after the first. Second was still OK but the first was way better.

And the best comic book movies (without repeats from the same series)

1. Dark Knight - Not even close

2. Iron Man - The first was so good. Jeff Bridges is the man.

3. Sin City - Awesome

4. Avengers - Great movie

5. Spiderman 2

6. Scott Pilgram vs the World - Everyone should see this if they haven't.

Could go on.

Bj1133
10-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Growing up, I never understood why Gambit was always so popular. I was always a Mangeto and Wolverine guy. Although not a major character Apocalypse was by far my favorite. I am still praying that he will be in one of these movies.

Just the attitude and the swagger that he had - similar to Wolverine. Plus, he threw freakin kinetically charged playing cards at bad guys, whats not to like about that? He was the easiest one to replicate too. Mom wouldn't let you cut slits in gloves to insert sharp knives, but you could slip on your bath robe and run around throwing cards all day long

zitothebrave
10-14-2013, 08:47 PM

Gambit was the man, Probably because his cards exploded.

I hated Wolverine in the TV Cartoon, but loved Magneto. 2 things the original XMen movies nailed were Magneto and Professor X. Almost as awesome of casting and nailing as McClellon as Gandalf.

thethe
10-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I haven't seen First Class but of the Original Trilogy they really went down hill after the first. Second was still OK but the first was way better.

And the best comic book movies (without repeats from the same series)

1. Dark Knight - Not even close

2. Iron Man - The first was so good. Jeff Bridges is the man.

3. Sin City - Awesome

4. Avengers - Great movie

5. Spiderman 2

6. Scott Pilgram vs the World - Everyone should see this if they haven't.

Could go on.

Telling you buddy. Watch First Class. I think it was even better than the Dark Knight.

Its on a whole different world than the other X-Men movies that preceded it.

thethe
10-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Just the attitude and the swagger that he had - similar to Wolverine. Plus, he threw freakin kinetically charged playing cards at bad guys, whats not to like about that? He was the easiest one to replicate too. Mom wouldn't let you cut slits in gloves to insert sharp knives, but you could slip on your bath robe and run around throwing cards all day long

Thats hysterical. Now I can understand.

I just always thought he was a background guy and never had too much importance in the storyline.

Bj1133
10-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Gambit was the man, Probably because his cards exploded.

I hated Wolverine in the TV Cartoon, but loved Magneto. 2 things the original XMen movies nailed were Magneto and Professor X. Almost as awesome of casting and nailing as McClellon as Gandalf.

The casting of Fassbender and McAvoy in First Class was just as good

thethe
10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
The casting of Fassbender and McAvoy in First Class was just as good

Bacon as Shaw was incredible as well.

It was just a great great movie.

The Chosen One
10-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Can't wait for the Days of Future Past movie next year.

For those not aware, they've brought back the cast from Singer's X-Men (Jackman, Stewart, McKellan etc) and First Class (Lawrence, Fassbinder, McAvoy) to do some type of Sentinel's storyline. Bishop is apparently in this movie too.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_post_349_width/2013/08/bryan_singer_xmen_tweet_a_p.jpg

thethe
10-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Sick, didn't know sentinals were in this movie. I did read they were going back to the past to correct some event. Figured that meant Bishop. He should be bad ass.

This is great..once they start playing with time they are going into the apocalypse storyline!!!

elmonthc
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I was a big fan of the cartoon. They didnt do rogue justice in the movie. IWould like Bishop in a movie. He was a good character.

As far as comic book movies, loved the punisher.with dolph lungren lol. Blade was good as well and I thought ultra violent was decent.

zitothebrave
10-15-2013, 09:16 PM
THAT'S NOT A SENTINEL!

Carp
10-15-2013, 11:28 PM
First Class is nowhere near the best Comic Book movie of all time. it wasn't even the best of the X-Men movies (original one is the best).

Nolan Batman series
Tim Burton Batman series
Avengers
Superman I and II
Man of Steel
Thor
Iron Man
Captain America

All of these movies were better than First Class. By a large margin.

The Chosen One
10-16-2013, 12:15 AM
I don't know if better. It was pretty good. Bacon's performance, fassbinder, McAvoy were all solid. Supporting cast lacked but it was pretty good.

thethe
10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
First Class is nowhere near the best Comic Book movie of all time. it wasn't even the best of the X-Men movies (original one is the best).

Nolan Batman series
Tim Burton Batman series
Avengers
Superman I and II
Man of Steel
Thor
Iron Man
Captain America

Shocker. You are wrong again.

thethe
10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
THAT'S NOT A SENTINEL!

I think its still getting to the point of being more realistic. Its going to be hard to sell to fans having a 100 foot tall robot trying to capture mutants.

Carp
10-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Shocking. Thethe overating something extremely average.

thethe
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
You could always make it your new signature like you did with Jurrjens.

The Chosen One
10-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Also keep in mind these are supposed to be the First Generation of Sentinels. The timeline inthe movie is when Gyrich first creates them. The ones more dangerous like in the comics and in Cable and Bishop's future may be the next-gen.

Bj1133
10-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Nolan Batman series - Agreed
Tim Burton Batman series - Really? These movies, aside from the 1st one, were terrible. The first one wasn't even better than First Class
Avengers - Agreed
Superman I and II - Haven't seen these, so can't comment
Man of Steel - Fell asleep during this movie, so can't comment.
Thor - First Class was better, although there was more action in Thor and thats the primary reason why I enjoy Superhero movies
Iron Man - Agreed
Captain America - I'd rate it about the same as First Class

x

Bj1133
10-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Teaser to the trailer that comes out this week

http://youtu.be/T_5PMBtrPpo

thethe
10-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Can't wait man. Hopefully tehy keep the momentum up from the first movie. I hope they don't go into the future too much. I want to see more of the new Xavier and Magneto.

Bj1133
10-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Trailer

http://youtu.be/pK2zYHWDZKo

thethe
10-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Holy crap that trailer is sick. Can't wait!

The Chosen One
05-24-2017, 01:12 AM
Bumped this thread looking for elmontc's last post :(

Anyways, Days of FUture Past surpassed my expectations and became my favorite comic book movie ever. Logan is also up there now.

And the future Sentinels we saw ended up being like Nimrod in the Cartoon. Indestructible Sentinels.

Carp
05-24-2017, 07:05 AM
Nowhere near my top 5, but a solid movie nonetheless.

zitothebrave
05-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Bumped this thread looking for elmontc's last post :(

Anyways, Days of FUture Past surpassed my expectations and became my favorite comic book movie ever. Logan is also up there now.

And the future Sentinels we saw ended up being like Nimrod in the Cartoon. Indestructible Sentinels.

Days of Future Past is impressively mediocre.

Above everything and anything, the choice to make the Sentinels absorbing powers come from Mystique when they weren't her powers, come on that's stupid. I know they attempted some BS logic, but it was just that BS logic. Especially when a very famous mutant has that power, Rogue. Also what the **** does Kitty Pride have the ability to do what she does. SHe does phasing, which means going through walls, barriers, etc. Not the ability to mess with anyones mind.

Again, it seems like a cheap vessel to retcon Mystique into a hero. At best she's a total rogue.

Garmel
05-31-2017, 12:47 PM
Finally got to see X-Men: Apocalypse. Enjoyed it but I think it was weaker than the other two installments. Apocalypse is quite different than the comic book(no use of Celestial technology for example).

thewupk
05-31-2017, 05:14 PM
Finally got to see X-Men: Apocalypse. Enjoyed it but I think it was weaker than the other two installments. Apocalypse is quite different than the comic book(no use of Celestial technology for example).

Pretty sure that's because Marvel has the movie rights to Celestial stuff. Still they could of used some kind of alien technology but Fox has never gone into that realm with X-Men before in their movies.

The Chosen One
05-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure that's because Marvel has the movie rights to Celestial stuff. Still they could of used some kind of alien technology but Fox has never gone into that realm with X-Men before in their movies.

Not exactly.

FOX has a list of like a thousand + X-Men universe characters. Marvel does not have the rights to the Shi'ar Empire. The rumored Dark Phoenix movie is going to introduce some celestial stuff supposedly.

zitothebrave
05-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Not exactly.

FOX has a list of like a thousand + X-Men universe characters. Marvel does not have the rights to the Shi'ar Empire. The rumored Dark Phoenix movie is going to introduce some celestial stuff supposedly.

You could be right in that there's "dual rights' or some ****. like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. But Celestials have made it into MCU twice, and didn't in Fox's at all. Including Fantastic 4 or Apocalypse.

thewupk
05-31-2017, 07:37 PM
Not exactly.

I literally just said this. They can't use Celestial by name. They could use something similar but never have done anything outside of mutants in their universe to this point.

thewupk
05-31-2017, 07:37 PM
You could be right in that there's "dual rights' or some ****. like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. But Celestials have made it into MCU twice, and didn't in Fox's at all. Including Fantastic 4 or Apocalypse.

They only worked because they both have huge stories tied to the Avengers and X-Men.

zitothebrave
05-31-2017, 08:22 PM
They only worked because they both have huge stories tied to the Avengers and X-Men.

Correct, and they worked out a deal. Which was likely why Quicksilver died on screen. They each get one without a drawn out legal fight.

thewupk
05-31-2017, 09:19 PM
Correct, and they worked out a deal. Which was likely why Quicksilver died on screen. They each get one without a drawn out legal fight.

There wasn't really a deal to work out. Both Fox and Marvel have certain movie rights to those two characters. Basically Marvel can't say they have mutant powers or show who their father is. Fox essentially can't include any kind of character history of them involving the Avengers or any other marvel property besides X-Men and F4 if they wanted to. I think Marvel killing off Quicksilver was just a way for them to play nice because they did film scenes with him being alive at the end of the Ultron.

zitothebrave
06-01-2017, 06:28 AM
There wasn't really a deal to work out. Both Fox and Marvel have certain movie rights to those two characters. Basically Marvel can't say they have mutant powers or show who their father is. Fox essentially can't include any kind of character history of them involving the Avengers or any other marvel property besides X-Men and F4 if they wanted to. I think Marvel killing off Quicksilver was just a way for them to play nice because they did film scenes with him being alive at the end of the Ultron.

I agree. But certain XMen were part of the Avengers at various times, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Havoc, Sabertooth, Deadpool, Cable, and a few others I'm forgetting. Of course those characters ties to the Avengers are not even remotely as strong as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, I'm not gonna pretend that's the case. I'm just pointing out they likely had an option to go with them and took it, but I think they killed Quicksilver to play nice. FWIW I think that Aaron Johnson's Quicksilver is the much cooler one.

Unrelated, I think that FOx only holds Fantastic 4 because they don't want Marvel to get it and do something cool with it. While I think there's limitations to the characters which has been a struggle, I think beyond that they don't want to see Galactus and/or Doctor Doom as the next big Marvel baddie. They're sitting on a Gold Mine of villains.

thewupk
06-01-2017, 08:01 PM
I agree. But certain XMen were part of the Avengers at various times, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Havoc, Sabertooth, Deadpool, Cable, and a few others I'm forgetting. Of course those characters ties to the Avengers are not even remotely as strong as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, I'm not gonna pretend that's the case. I'm just pointing out they likely had an option to go with them and took it, but I think they killed Quicksilver to play nice. FWIW I think that Aaron Johnson's Quicksilver is the much cooler one.

Unrelated, I think that FOx only holds Fantastic 4 because they don't want Marvel to get it and do something cool with it. While I think there's limitations to the characters which has been a struggle, I think beyond that they don't want to see Galactus and/or Doctor Doom as the next big Marvel baddie. They're sitting on a Gold Mine of villains.

Fun fact. Fox doesn't hold the movie rights to F4. A company called Constantin Films do out of Germany. They have partnered with Fox to allow them to produce the movie while Constantin distributes it. Now there are rumors of Constantin killing their films division and concentrating on other things. This was 6 months ago and if that were to happen I'm not sure if the rights would go back to Marvel or what.

Bj1133
06-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I still find it pretty ridiculous that this is a thing and that all Marvel created characters cannot be in the same film.

The Chosen One
06-01-2017, 09:05 PM
I still find it pretty ridiculous that this is a thing and that all Marvel created characters cannot be in the same film.

Well that's what happened. Marvel was on verge of bankruptcy so instead of keeping films under one roof they just sold the film rights to different studios.