PDA

View Full Version : Snitker Bullpen Usage

nsacpi
05-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Bullpen usage gets discussed a lot during the game threads. There is a lot of second guessing. I think the second guessing would have more credibility if better alternatives and plans were discussed ahead of time. With that in mind, here is what I see with respect to tonight's game:

1) Viz has pitched the last two nights (16 pitches Tuesday, 12 Wedsnesday). So has Minter (9 and 12 pitches). While those pitch counts are not so high as to preclude them pitching a third consecutive game, I would try to avoid it.

2) My plan for tonight would therefore start with the presumption that Winkler is my ninth inning guy in any sort of high leverage situation.

3) The basic assumption for starters these days is they go 6 innings. If we are tied or ahead, the 7th and 8th inning guys should be one of Biddle/Gohara in the 7th and Carle in the 8th.

4) You also need to hold back a long man in case it is a long extra inning game. That would be the other of Biddle/Gohara. Try not to use up both Biddle and Gohara tonight since you ideally want one available as your long guy for the next game. Of course there is always the option of shuttling someone up from AAA, so this is not an overriding concern. But it would be best not to use both up.

5) Sam Freeman threw 16 pitches last night. He should be available tonight. Moylan threw 28 last night. Probably not available. So out of a pen of 8 we should try to avoid using 3 (Moylan, Viz and Minter) tonight.

nsacpi
05-10-2018, 09:16 PM
bit of a questionable move bringing in Freeman to pitch the 6th inning...he pitched the previous night...maybe he was warming up...in which case the question becomes why was he the one warming up

Braves1976
05-10-2018, 09:36 PM
bit of a questionable move bringing in Freeman to pitch the 6th inning...he pitched the previous night...maybe he was warming up...in which case the question becomes why was he the one warming up

Yea, Biddle should've been warming up as you said IMO. That would've saved Freeman for next game. Now he's not available unless you're Snit.

That said, Snit was right to pinch hit for Folty with that shot we had and thankfully that big inning set up resting the rest of the bullpen with Gohara saving it. If not for that big inning everyone probably warms up and most end up pitching again. That could've been ugly since they needed a day off.

nsacpi
05-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Yea, Biddle should've been warming up as you said IMO. That would've saved Freeman for next game. Now he's not available unless you're Snit.

at least most of pen will be available tomorrow...Gohara not...and Freeman not except maybe for one batter...Biddle probably held back as the long guy in the event of a long multi inning game...leaves Snit with a fairly full deck to play with

Braves1976
05-10-2018, 09:47 PM
at least most of pen will be available tomorrow...Gohara not...and Freeman not except maybe for one batter...Biddle probably held back as the long guy in the event of a long multi inning game...leaves Snit with a fairly full deck to play with

Haha, yea I basically added that point with my edit before seeing your response.

50PoundHead
05-10-2018, 09:52 PM

He started warming up when Tucker pinch hit for Foltynewicz. Hard to foresee a grand slam HR.

I tell you, modern managers can't catch a break. If the score stays 1-1 and Snitker brings in Biddle and Biddle gets rocked (and Braves end up losing), people will gripe that Snitker didn't use his best relievers in a high leverage situation.

nsacpi
05-11-2018, 06:46 AM
He started warming up when Tucker pinch hit for Foltynewicz. Hard to foresee a grand slam HR.

I tell you, modern managers can't catch a break. If the score stays 1-1 and Snitker brings in Biddle and Biddle gets rocked (and Braves end up losing), people will gripe that Snitker didn't use his best relievers in a high leverage situation.

my quibble is Biddle has shown enough to merit a look in higher leverage situation...he was the more rested of the two...tie game going into the bottom of the sixth would have been a good spot to bring him in

the more guys the manager trusts in high leverage situations the better off the team and the pen will be

Jaw
05-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Bullpen usage gets discussed a lot during the game threads. There is a lot of second guessing. I think the second guessing would have more credibility if better alternatives and plans were discussed ahead of time.

My favorite thread idea in a long time. Well done nascar pie.

nsacpi
05-11-2018, 09:51 AM
My favorite thread idea in a long time. Well done nascar pie.

Thanks. I think Snitker gets a certain amount of unfair criticism, some of it by posters who call out particular decisions with the benefit of hindsight. What I'm trying to do here is set up a forum for people to discuss ahead of time some of the game to game decisions he has to make with respect to the pen. Of course, the game threads are also useful for that. After the Marlins tied up the score in the bottom of the fifth, I posted something to the effect that we should pinch hit for Folty if we get to his spot (he was due to hit 5th in the top of the sixth). Snitker did that and we ended up having a big inning. I noted in the same post that I would bring in Biddle or Gohara to pitch in the 6th. I didn't specify that this was dependent on the score. I just thought given who was available and rested in the pen that Biddle or Gohara should come in at that point.

With a lot of these decisions the manager has to weigh how his choices affect the team's chances of winning that particular game with how it affects his pen over the next few games (and longer term). I understand the reasoning for using Freeman last night. Just think it was slightly sub-optimal.

DirkPiggler
05-11-2018, 10:15 AM
One thing I like about Snitker is that he at least appears willing to listen to those who are smarter than he is with respect to lineups, positioning, etc. He's not dead set on being a dinosaur come hell or high water.

Fredi never seemed to want to listen to anyone other than Bobby, although in fairness there may not have been anyone smarter in the front office at that time to give him direction.

nsacpi
05-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Snit caught some flak in the game thread tonight, but generally I thought his decisions made sense. There are nights your starter doesn't have it and during the regular season under most circumstances you still try to get 5 innings/90 pitches out of him. The idea is to protect your pen.

I was fine with bringing in Moylan to pitch the 6th. Sure the first hitter is going to be a lefty pinch hitter, but the next three were righties.

bravesfanMatt
05-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Snit caught some flak in the game thread tonight, but generally I thought his decisions made sense. There are nights your starter doesn't have it and during the regular season under most circumstances you still try to get 5 innings/90 pitches out of him. The idea is to protect your pen.

I was fine with bringing in Moylan to pitch the 6th. Sure the first hitter is going to be a lefty pinch hitter, but the next three were righties.

I didn't watch the game, but I agree.. you have to ride the starter for as long as you can.. sometimes you lose a battle to win the war. now pinch hitting BUSTista vs. a RHP is DUMB

nsacpi
05-11-2018, 09:08 PM
I didn't watch the game, but I agree.. you have to ride the starter for as long as you can.. sometimes you lose a battle to win the war. now pinch hitting BUSTista vs. a RHP is DUMB

well there is the overarching issue of whether Bautista has anything left in the tank but he has been a reverse split hitter the last few years

bravesfanMatt
05-11-2018, 09:09 PM
well there is the overarching issue of whether Bautista has anything left in the tank but he has been a reverse split hitter the last few years

ok.. I will rephrase my statement. Using BUSTista to hit is DUMB..

thank you for the correction.

nsacpi
05-11-2018, 09:10 PM
ok.. I will rephrase my statement. Using BUSTista to hit is DUMB..

thank you for the correction.

de nada

nsacpi
05-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Snit used five relievers tonight, and they came through for him. The only nit to pick was bringing in Minter to face Bour to get the lefty-lefty matchup with two outs and no one on in the 7th. Everyone should be available tomorrow with the possible exception of Moylan, who has pitched in consecutive games.

nsacpi
05-13-2018, 03:04 PM
Winkler and Viz have both pitched on consecutive days. Against the Cubs tomorrow, Snit will probably try to navigate through any high leverage innings with Freeman, Carle and Minter.

I'm thinking it would be useful to get Gohara an inning if possible tomorrow. If there is a mid-game weather delay, he might get more than one.

thewupk
05-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Winkler and Viz have both pitched on consecutive days. Against the Cubs tomorrow, Snit will probably try to navigate through any high leverage innings with Freeman, Carle and Minter.

I'm thinking it would be useful to get Gohara an inning if possible tomorrow. If there is a mid-game weather delay, he might get more than one.

Ideally the Braves have a decent lead and Julio can go 6-7. Gohara for 1-2 and close it up with Minter.

Heyward
05-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Ideally get 6 from Julio, and Carle/Freeman/Minter final 3 innings if we lead.

nsacpi
05-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Ideally get 6 from Julio, and Carle/Freeman/Minter final 3 innings if we lead.

That's how it went. Snit made a good call bringing in Carle in the 7th. Viz and Winkler got the day off. Freeman probably gets tomorrow off.

Tapate50
05-15-2018, 05:22 AM
That's how it went. Snit made a good call bringing in Carle in the 7th. Viz and Winkler got the day off. Freeman probably gets tomorrow off.

Carle looked nasty. Whatever that 87-88 mph pitch was had everyone out in front of it.

nsacpi
05-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Good to see Gohara get used in a tie game and come through with a pretty good performance. Winkler and Viz have pitched in 3 games in the last 4 days. They could pitch tomorrow, but ideally not.

rico43
05-15-2018, 10:55 PM
Vizcaino is one appearance away from a trip to the DL with, you know, a stiff lower back or something. I want to see Carle close, I want to see Winkler close. I don't know if my heart can stand for Minter to close after Monday. But here's the thing -- it is a fair expectation by June 10, say, that Touki is up here and installed as a late-inning guy. It all changes when Gohara and Toussaint are equally available.

We need to put Moylan out of our misery; make him the extended spring spirit coach or something, and we need to see Toussaint up here and perhaps give Leyva a shot. The 29-year-old Cuban was not expected to be in the minors all season anyway.

nsacpi
05-16-2018, 09:33 PM
I give credit to Snit for using Vizcaino tonight. Psychologically its a good move to send your closer back out there after a rough game.

Having said that, this was Vizcaino's 4th game in 5 days. He'll need a day or two off. Closer tomorrow will be Winkler or Minter depending on matchups.

bravesfanMatt
05-16-2018, 10:02 PM
I give credit to Snit for using Vizcaino tonight. Psychologically its a good move to send your closer back out there after a rough game.

Having said that, this was Vizcaino's 4th game in 5 days. He'll need a day or two off. Closer tomorrow will be Winkler or Minter depending on matchups.

Ditto.. I thought the BP did a very good job..

nsacpi
05-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Ditto.. I thought the BP did a very good job..

Snit has done well distributing the workload

nsacpi
05-20-2018, 09:12 AM
The rainout against the Cubs gave the bullpen a precious day off. And there is another day off after the Phillies series. This might represent an opportunity to remain at a 12 man staff (that's where we are now with Wisler being sent back down) for a while.

Gohara is scheduled to pitch on Wednesday against the Phillies. He is supposed to go spend some time in Brazil after that with his mother who just had heart surgery. Does the "family leave" provision that major league baseball has now cover something like that? It would allow us to bring up another pitcher while he is away.

CJ9
05-20-2018, 09:54 AM
The rainout against the Cubs gave the bullpen a precious day off. And there is another day off after the Phillies series. This might represent an opportunity to remain at a 12 man staff (that's where we are now with Wisler being sent back down) for a while.

Gohara is scheduled to pitch on Wednesday against the Phillies. He is supposed to go spend some time in Brazil after that with his mother who just had heart surgery. Does the "family leave" provision that major league baseball has now cover something like that? It would allow us to bring up another pitcher while he is away.

Yes, he’ll go on the bereavement list and we can add someone there.

Still think Evan Phillips will be up soon. He has been dominant and control is much improved.

nsacpi
05-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Yes, he’ll go on the bereavement list and we can add someone there.

Still think Evan Phillips will be up soon. He has been dominant and control is much improved.

the Cuban guy Leyva has also done well

bravesfanMatt
05-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Good work by the pen tonight.. only Minty Hippo threw enough pitches not be available tomorrow. Liked going to Freeman early.. Only thing I might have done was toss Winkler in the 8th and Minty in the 7th, but even then, I see the match up situation when it got to Odudbal and Smooth..

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 06:55 AM
We probably won't get more than four innings from Gohara today. But with the off day Thursday Snit can lean hard on the pen. After that Boston series and double header against Mets could pose some challenges.

thewupk
05-23-2018, 08:45 AM
We probably won't get more than four innings from Gohara today. But with the off day Thursday Snit can lean hard on the pen. After that Boston series and double header against Mets could pose some challenges.

Assuming that Soroka is really fine and ready to get his next start then you could run a Gohara/Fried combo game during one of the double header games.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Assuming that Soroka is really fine and ready to get his next start then you could run a Gohara/Fried combo game during one of the double header games.

Gohara is headed to Brazil after his start today to spend some time with his mother who recently had heart surgery. Fried or Wisler will probably start one of the double header games. I would guess Soroka will be asked to make at least one rehab start before being brought back. And Sanchez probably needs at least one more rehab start.

If I had to guess starters, it would along these lines:

Boston Game 1 Newcomb
Boston Game 2 Teheran
Boston Game 3 Folty
Mets Game 1 (DH) McCarthy
Mets Game 2 (DH) Fried or Wisler
Mets Game 3 Fried or Wisler
Mets Game 4 Newcomb

thethe
05-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Gohara is headed to Brazil after his start today to spend some time with his mother who recently had heart surgery. Fried or Wisler will probably start one of the double header games. I would guess Soroka will be asked to make at least one rehab start before being brought back. And Sanchez probably needs at least one more rehab start.

I would bring up Allard to be a long relief man during this timeframe. Let him get his feet wet in a relatively meaningless position.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 09:25 AM
I would bring up Allard to be a long relief man during this timeframe. Let him get his feet wet in a relatively meaningless position.

Allard is not on the 40-man. I think that's a factor.

thethe
05-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Allard is not on the 40-man. I think that's a factor.

Don't we have multiple spots available?

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Don't we have multiple spots available?

We have a couple spots available. But I think they will avoid using them on Allard if they go to Fried and Wisler instead.

thethe
05-23-2018, 09:45 AM
We have a couple spots available. But I think they will avoid using them on Allard if they go to Fried and Wisler instead.

I think Allard forces his way onto the roster at the latest May of next year. Do we need that many open spots till that point? Probably.

Maybe Allard gets up sooner.

bravesfanMatt
05-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Why bring up Allard. Soroka should be eligible to come off DL today or tomorrow. If so he should be one of the starters for the mets series. Assuming health. No reason to add Allard to the 40 man roster before the rule 5 this winter. He can make his case in AAA and spring next season.

thewupk
05-23-2018, 09:55 AM

If I had to guess starters, it would along these lines:

Boston Game 1 Newcomb
Boston Game 2 Teheran
Boston Game 3 Folty
Mets Game 1 (DH) McCarthy
Mets Game 2 (DH) Fried or Wisler
Mets Game 3 Fried or Wisler
Mets Game 4 Newcomb

That sucks about Gohara. I'd prefer Soroka without a rehab start over Wisler.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
That sucks about Gohara. I'd prefer Soroka without a rehab start over Wisler.

Whatever we do with Soroka should prioritize his long-term health and effectiveness. I think being a bit cautious and giving him a AAA start is the way to go. I know we are trying to win this year, but we should balance that against long-term interests of players and club when it comes to Soroka and Gohara.

thethe
05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Why bring up Allard. Soroka should be eligible to come off DL today or tomorrow. If so he should be one of the starters for the mets series. Assuming health. No reason to add Allard to the 40 man roster before the rule 5 this winter. He can make his case in AAA and spring next season.

To have a long man in one of these games in the event a starter goes out early.

thethe
05-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Whatever we do with Soroka should prioritize his long-term health and effectiveness. I think being a bit cautious and giving him a AAA start is the way to go.

This 100%. While I'm loving winning games in 2018 in reality we are way ahead of expectations. Sorokas health is paramount.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 10:01 AM
To have a long man in one of these games in the event a starter goes out early.

Assuming they are not used up in the Boston series, Sims and Biddle can play that role.

thethe
05-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Assuming they are not used up in the Boston series, Sims and Biddle can play that role.

Sims should not appear in any major league games for the Braves in my opinion.

bravesfanMatt
05-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Whatever we do with Soroka should prioritize his long-term health and effectiveness. I think being a bit cautious and giving him a AAA start is the way to go. I know we are trying to win this year, but we should balance that against long-term interests of players and club when it comes to Soroka and Gohara.

I don’t think he was out long enough to have that concern. He can throw a simulated game today or even yesterday if healthy. I don’t think a AAA start is much different than a monitored MLB start. I agree long term is important. I just don’t see the risk associated at this point. Especially if this was the Braves just gaming the 10 day system.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Sims should not appear in any major league games for the Braves in my opinion.

Actually, I would rather he play the role of "sacrificial lamb" in the pen than Allard.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
I don’t think he was out long enough to have that concern. He can throw a simulated game today or even yesterday if healthy. I don’t think a AAA start is much different than a monitored MLB start. I agree long term is important. I just don’t see the risk associated at this point. Especially if this was the Braves just gaming the 10 day system.

I'd rather be cautious. Soroka seems very level-headed, but he's also competitive and would probably try to pitch through some stuff if he was in a major league game. So I'd rather he make a five inning start in AAA and make sure everything is good to go.

thewupk
05-23-2018, 10:14 AM

I agree with this. If he's ready and healthy enough for a AAA rehab start he's ready for a MLB start.

thethe
05-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Actually, I would rather he play the role of "sacrificial lamb" in the pen than Allard.

But even in those sacrificial lamb scenarios if no runs are allowed it gives the team a chance to come back. We are waiving the white flag when Sims comes in and I'd rather never do that.

thethe
05-23-2018, 10:15 AM
I agree with this. If he's ready and healthy enough for a AAA rehab start he's ready for a MLB start.

Wins and losses matter in the big leagues. That fact in it of itself makes the start 'different' for Soroka.

thewupk
05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Wins and losses matter in the big leagues. That fact in it of itself makes the start 'different' for Soroka.

You're right. And i'd rather have Soroka out there than Wisler. Put him on a limit if you want.

bravesfanMatt
05-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Only reason I see a rehab start is if they want to knock some rust off. But I feel safe with a controlled start in MLB is no less risky than a AAA start. Competitive is not an arguement. He will want to win regardless where he is.

thethe
05-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Only reason I see a rehab start is if they want to knock some rust off. But I feel safe with a controlled start in MLB is no less risky than a AAA start. Competitive is not an arguement. He will want to win regardless where he is.

But the Braves can pull the cord faster and without consequence at AAA.

bravesfanMatt
05-23-2018, 10:31 AM
But the Braves can pull the cord faster and without consequence at AAA.

They can with an mlb start. You can have him on a 70 pitch limit with Wisler or fried as backup. I would rather have soroka go five innings than either those two start. Have Wisler start game one. Then option him to AAA before game 2 and acticate soroka.

thewupk
05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
They can with an mlb start. You can have him on a 70 pitch limit with Wisler or fried as backup. I would rather have soroka go five innings than either those two start. Have Wisler start game one. Then option him to AAA before game 2 and acticate soroka.

Wouldn't be necessary because teams get a 26th player for double header days.

bravesfanMatt
05-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't be necessary because teams get a 26th player for double header days.

True

Tapate50
05-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Wait, y’all think Soroka has a real injury?

Jaw
05-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Is there an easy way to look at data for Freeman pitching on a second day in a row vs. pitching after at least one day of rest? In my limited viewing he seems much less effective on the second day in a row appearances.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Is there an easy way to look at data for Freeman pitching on a second day in a row vs. pitching after at least one day of rest? In my limited viewing he seems much less effective on the second day in a row appearances.

game logs are available on fangraphs

Ozzie Swanson
05-23-2018, 08:07 PM
I don't understand why Snit is so averse to giving Biddle a shot in a higher leverage situation. He has solid stuff and has performed well enough. I assume he'd do better if he got more consistent work.

And by higher leverage I mean using him instead of Freeman every once in awhile.

nsacpi
05-23-2018, 08:42 PM
I don't understand why Snit is so averse to giving Biddle a shot in a higher leverage situation. He has solid stuff and has performed well enough. I assume he'd do better if he got more consistent work.

And by higher leverage I mean using him instead of Freeman every once in awhile.

Yeah. Biddle should have gotten an inning or two tonight. It is a nit to pick with Snit.

Edit: He did get to face one hitter. A righty and he struck him out. Biddle has been amazing against righties. Continues the pattern of reverse splits he displayed in the minors. Usually when a lefty dominates righties it is due to a great change-up or screwball. That doesn't seem to be the case with Biddle.

nsacpi
05-26-2018, 08:56 AM
We had a little fun in last night's GDT over Snit bringing in Wisler to face Betts. I understand his concerns about using Winkler too much and generally think he's done a decent job managing the pen in recent weeks. Still, that one was a headscratcher.

msstate7
05-26-2018, 09:19 AM

To be fair, when you have a thoroughbred like wisler, you ride that stud when facing the best hitter in mlb

nsacpi
05-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Snit did use Biddle in a relatively high leverage situation last night and he did well.

nsacpi
05-26-2018, 03:56 PM
We are in decent shape going into tomorrow's game considering we only got 3 innings from Newcomb. Viz, Minter, Carle and Wisler didn't pitch. Presumably they will be the guys called upon tomorrow. Wisler is the "sacrificial lamb" in the event of a blowout or extra inning game.

GeorgiaGirl
05-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Honestly the pen usage didn't really make sense and shows that Snit really needs at least 6 IP starts to be better. Biddle should've gone another inning, but Moylan did good. Then Moylan should not have faced Betts.

It may not have mattered, but maybe if you give a RH reliever a clean start, things go better.

nsacpi
05-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Got through the double header without using Viz or Winkler. For tonight's game, Minter and Biddle probably not available except maybe to get one hitter. Unrealistic to expect more than 4 innings from Sanchez, which means we'll probably see Wisler in the middle innings. Sims will probably be the one sent down when Sanchez gets activated.

nsacpi
05-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Sanchez went four, Wisler went four and Winkler went one last night. The pen is in good shape going into tonight's game and going into the gnats series. No one has been worked too hard. And no one is rusty from too little work. Which is a neat feat considering the double header and having to use a starter last night who wasn't fully stretched out.

Newcomb's short stint against the Red Sox put the pen in a bit of a hole, but Folty's 7 strong innings the next day bailed us out.

bravesfanMatt
05-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Sanchez went four, Wisler went four and Winkler went one last night. The pen is in good shape going into tonight's game and going into the gnats series. No one has been worked too hard. And no one is rusty from too little work. Which is a neat feat considering the double header and having to use a starter last night who wasn't fully stretched out.

Newcomb's short stint against the Red Sox put the pen in a bit of a hole, but Folty's 7 strong innings the next day bailed us out.

We should really debate Folty versus Newcomb

nsacpi
05-30-2018, 08:33 AM
We should really debate Folty versus Newcomb

I'm looking forward to both pitching in the gnats series. I know every game counts. But to me pitching against the Red Sox and gnats gives us a better idea of where those two stand than pitching against the Marlins.

thethe
05-30-2018, 08:34 AM
I'm looking forward to both pitching in the gnats series. I know every game counts. But to me pitching against the Red Sox and gnats gives us a better idea of where those two stand than pitching against the Marlins.

Lineups construction against matters and not just the teams.

nsacpi
05-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Lineups construction against matters and not just the teams.

Actually it is worth keeping in mind that Betts and Martinez asked the manager to not have to face Folty. I had forgotten about that. We'll probably see a similar request from Harper and Rendon.

nsacpi
06-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Extra inning games are often when sub-optimal bullpen management can come back to bite a team. I actually agree with Snitker's reasoning in not using Winkler and Viz tonight. But he created the circumstances for that. Winkler and Viz both pitched Thursday. So Snit's decision to warm them both last night--Winkler in the 8th with Folty holding a 4-0 lead and Viz in the 9th with the same lead--is one of those subtle mistakes in bullpen management that 9 out of 10 times does not lead to any problems. But sometimes it leads to an issue the next day.

Southcack77
06-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Extra inning games are often when sub-optimal bullpen management can come back to bite a team. I actually agree with Snitker's reasoning in not using Winkler and Viz tonight. But he created the circumstances for that. Winkler and Viz both pitched Thursday. So Snit's decision to warm them both last night--Winkler in the 8th with Folty holding a 4-0 lead and Viz in the 9th with the same lead--is one of those subtle mistakes in bullpen management that 9 out of 10 times does not lead to any problems. But sometimes it leads to an issue the next day.

If Folty has run into trouble in either inning and no one was warming up folks would be slamming him the other way. But he probably should have had Winkler warm up in both innings. But that’s where baseballs development of the closer role hurts.

nsacpi
06-03-2018, 08:15 AM
If Folty has run into trouble in either inning and no one was warming up folks would be slamming him the other way. But he probably should have had Winkler warm up in both innings. But that’s where baseballs development of the closer role hurts.

good point

BlackwaterPark
06-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Wow did they really?

Heyward
06-03-2018, 09:25 AM
I had a bigger problem with taking out McCarthy than the BP management.

84 pitches, and if you know Winkler/Viz arent pitching, why take him out.

nsacpi
06-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Gohara activated. I assume the plan today is to get a combined 7-8 innings from Sanchez and Gohara. It would spare the pen a bit after yesterday's long game. On the positive side the pitch counts for Freeman, Minter, Carle and Moylan were low enough they should be available today.

Heyward
06-03-2018, 10:21 AM
The issue with the pen is there's always been a Wisler, Sims, Jackson, Socovolich type in there once they come in, games over.

nsacpi
06-03-2018, 10:24 AM
The issue with the pen is there's always been a Wisler, Sims, Jackson, Socovolich type in there once they come in, games over.

my guess is Sanchez will take over that spot once he is removed from the rotation...i think it is likely he is not well suited for a relief role...we will see

GovClintonTyree
06-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Gohara activated. I assume the plan today is to get a combined 7-8 innings from Sanchez and Gohara. It would spare the pen a bit after yesterday's long game. On the positive side the pitch counts for Freeman, Minter, Carle and Moylan were low enough they should be available today.

This is a little surprising to me, that they activated Gohara. In between checking on mom, do they think he's been in the gym and eating broiled fish and broccoli, or eating plantains and swilling beer?

TheBravos
06-03-2018, 10:57 AM
my guess is Sanchez will take over that spot once he is removed from the rotation...i think it is likely he is not well suited for a relief role...we will see

Even Sims has pitched well at times. I only remember Socovolich getting tourched every time he is in and how he keeps getting call ups is beyond me.

GovClintonTyree
06-03-2018, 10:59 AM

He has stretches of serviceable. With his 1.5 HR/9 problem, this is really the only job left for him on an MLB roster. I'd like it if he'd be the Innings Eater that keeps it close.

WaitingFor2017
06-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Seems like Snitker has all relievers but Viz and Biddle available for Game 1 in San Diego.

nsacpi
06-08-2018, 06:45 AM
With off days bracketing the Dodgers series, Snit can be aggressive going to the pen this series. Pinch hit for the pitcher after five if the game is tied or close. Aggressively seek out the platoon advantage. We are carrying 9 relievers at the moment, which also supports this approach.

TheBravos
06-08-2018, 09:11 AM
We also have Monday off.

nsacpi
06-10-2018, 07:29 AM
I thought Snit did a very good job managing the pen last night. He brought in Moylan with one out in the sixth just for the purpose of getting Kemp. Then he used Minter to get four outs, which set thing up for Winkler and Viz in the 8th and 9th.

Minter and Winkler both threw over 20 pitches last night, so Snit will probably try to avoid using them today.

It would be nice to give Gohara an inning or two.

nsacpi
06-15-2018, 09:03 PM
I though Snit made a decision in the 7th that cost us...he should have brought Moylan in to face Renfroe and Villanueva rather than Galvis

Heyward
06-15-2018, 09:07 PM
I would have used Biddle over Freeman but the way it was, Moylan to Renfroe was the right option instead.

bravesfanMatt
06-16-2018, 07:25 AM
I thought twitner was too quick to pull bmac first. I would have preferred Carl’s to go the 8th.
The 7th was a managerial mastery. He could have used Freeman, Biddle and or Moylan. But if nothing else have moylan ready for the true RH and not the switch hitter.

I really feel twitner has shown he still can’t grasp this job and the analytics that go with it. I feel he pulled a defeat from the jaws of a victory.

msstate7
06-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Moylan came in for Villanueva (Rh). The problem was moylan should've came in for Renfroe.

jpack1
06-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Snit pulling Sanchez the night before and burning our best relievers are what cost us last night. Plain and simple. If we had Minter and Winkler ready for last night it’s probably another win.

bravesfanMatt
06-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Moylan came in for Villanueva (Rh). The problem was moylan should've came in for Renfroe.

True. He should not have faced the switch. Biddle or Gohard would have been better.

But I still don’t like him “trying” to manage like this we’re he pulls his starter after 80ish pitches. Agreed with the guy above.

Julio3000
06-16-2018, 09:08 AM
I think the only real answer is that we score a ****load of runs and never have to depend on bullpen management to win games for us.

nsacpi
06-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Not surprised to see Sims called up after the long extra inning game. He would have started in AAA today, so he can go multiple innings if case today's game is a long one as well. I expect him to be sent back down when Folty is activated on Monday.

Today's situation in the pen is tricky. Unclear if Viz can go. Winkler, Carle, Biddle and Moylan probably not available based on the number of pitches they threw last night. That leaves Minter, Freeman, Jackson and Sims. Hopefully, Teheran gives us at least six innings.

salmagundy
06-23-2018, 05:34 PM
snitckers hasn't "used" the BP effectively. He's abused the relief core badly. Call the police for abuse.

nsacpi
07-03-2018, 08:43 AM
The aftermath of extra innings games often poses challenges. Winkler and Minter pitched for the second consecutive day yesterday. Presumably they won't be used today. Ditto for Biddle who went 2 innings and threw over 30 pitches.

Viz is supposed to be activated. If so he will be available as closer.

There are a couple things working for us today. American League rules, so we don't have to worry about double switches etc. Second we have a lefty starting. The Yankees will load up on righty hitters. This works to our advantage because we can bring in Carle in the 6th or 7th and have him go multiple innings. The other guy available is Luke Jackson, who I assume will be held back as the "sacrificial lamb" if the game goes extra innings and we need someone to protect the rest of the staff.

If we need to get one lefty hitter out in the 8th, don't be surprised if Sam Freeman is called upon. Biddle and Minter are unlikely to be used, and Sam only threw 15 pitches last night.