PDA

View Full Version : 40 Man Roster Decisions

nsacpi
10-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Let's start with a list of players currently on the 40 man roster or DL who are under contractual control for 2014.

Catchers (3): Laird, Gattis, Bethancourt

Infielders (10): Freeman, Gosselin, Janish, C Johnson, E Johnson, Mejia, Pastornicky, Pena, Simmons, Uggla

Outfielders (8): Constanza, Cunningham, Heyward, R Johnson, Schafer, Terdoslavich, B Upton, J Upton

RHP (13): Beachy, Carpenter, Gearrin, Hale, Jaime, Kimbrel, Loe, Martinez, Medlen, Northcraft, Teheran, Varvaro, Walden

LHP (4): Avilan, Minor, Venters, Wood

That's 38 right there.

Wren has said he would like to bring back Hudson. We are a bit thin in lefty arms, making it likely we try to bring back EOF or some other lefty.

If we brought back both Hudson and another lefty, that would push us up to 40.

Are there any minor leaguers not on the 40-man roster that we want to add to it in order to avoid losing either via the Rule 5 draft or minor league free agency? I think there are two pitchers who did well in AAA and have potential to help as extra depth: Omar Poveda and Wirfin Obispo. Who might we let go to make room for those two?

Kameron Loe is the most logical guy. Next would be Gosselin. I don't think anyone would claim him if we designated him for assignment. In addition, Janish and Martinez are non-tender candidates.

The Braves would probably want room for two or three more acquisitions. They have a knack for picking up relatively obscure guys that no one else wants and it helps to have a spot or two for such pickups. They might also want to bring back McCann or pick up a major league second baseman.

So let's say they want to create two or three more spots on the 40-man. How might they do that. Non-tendering Janish and Martinez might be the most logical steps. I would try to sign Martinez to a minor league deal if we did that. After that it gets harder. If we tried to designate Cunningham or Constanza for assignment, I suspect another team would claim them and put them on their 40-man roster. I'd say the next guy to move off the 40-man if we needed to create a spot would be Elliot Johnson. I would rank him behind Pena, Pastornicky, Uggla and La Stella as candidates for second base.

So of the guys currently on the 40-man who we might want to move off, I'd say the ranking might look like this: Loe, Gosselin, Janish, Martinez, Elliot Johnson.

The guys from the minors I think we should add to the 40-man to protect would be Poveda and Obispo.

emk418
10-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I think easy ones are Janish, EJ, Mejia, Loe to free up space. Gosselin wouldn't really be missed if we removed him. Martinez will probably be removed also. I'm curious which prospects need to be protected this year.

Knucksie
10-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I think easy ones are Janish, EJ, Mejia, Loe to free up space. Gosselin wouldn't really be missed if we removed him. Martinez will probably be removed also. I'm curious which prospects need to be protected this year.

Those are good names to remove, to free up space. It seems trivial, but even seeing Loe's name is sort of disconcerting. E. Johnson is waiver fodder, too.

nsacpi
10-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Mejia is a guy who I think still has some upside. He has enormous power, but needs to shorten up the swing some. I like having someone like him stashed in AAA. Given the other options for creating space on the 40 man, I'd hold on to him. I'm pretty sure another team would add him to the 40 man if we designated him for assignment.

I believe Elliot Johnson is out of options. So unless we believe he is going to make the team out of spring training, chances are we are going to lose him at some point. So if we have to create another spot, I'd rate we move EJ rather than someone who still has options such as Mejia, Cunningham and Constanza. The guys with options have extra value because we can shuttle them on and off the major league roster as needed during the season.

NYCBrave
10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
What is the requirement that makes someone subject to the rule 5 draft? I know if they're not on the 40 man roster, but at what point do they have to reach to be eligible to be taken?

cajunrevenge
10-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Loe, Constanza, Elliot Johnson, Martinez, Mejia, and Janish are all eady cuts. Even if another team claims them they are not hard to replace. I don't think Reed Johnson will be back which is another spot.

nsacpi
10-17-2013, 02:11 PM
What is the requirement that makes someone subject to the rule 5 draft? I know if they're not on the 40 man roster, but at what point do they have to reach to be eligible to be taken?

Eligibility for Rule 5 is five years in the minors if they signed at 18 or younger, 4 years in the minors if they signed at 19 or older.

50PoundHead
10-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Loe, Constanza, Elliot Johnson, Martinez, Mejia, and Janish are all eady cuts. Even if another team claims them they are not hard to replace. I don't think Reed Johnson will be back which is another spot.

I believe he gets them all. I will be surprised if Gosselin remains on the 40-man over the winter as well.

I don't know which prospects are Rule 5 eligible if not on the 40-man. I believe Hefflinger, Leonard, and Rohm are the only guys that will truly enter that discussion of Braves' draftees. I think Salcedo may also need to be protected, but I'm not sure of his age at signing. Of the non-draftees, Poveda and Obispo will probably be in the discussion. After that, we've got to keep some spots open to sign guys.

Knucksie
10-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Mejia is a guy who I think still has some upside. He has enormous power, but needs to shorten up the swing some. I like having someone like him stashed in AAA. Given the other options for creating space on the 40 man, I'd hold on to him. I'm pretty sure another team would add him to the 40 man if we designated him for assignment.

I believe Elliot Johnson is out of options. So unless we believe he is going to make the team out of spring training, chances are we are going to lose him at some point. So if we have to create another spot, I'd rate we move EJ rather than someone who still has options such as Mejia, Cunningham and Constanza. The guys with options have extra value because we can shuttle them on and off the major league roster as needed during the season.

Mejia is one of those AAAA guys - big star at AAA but can't hang around long enough at the major league level. Last year, he was the lone Gwinnett AAA All Star selection, but he wasn't able to parlay that into anything more than a Sept. callup. Surprised that there wasn't interest from other clubs. He must not be perceived as more than career minor leaguer or injury fill-in. Usually, these types of players get cut loose to try and allow them to find another opportunity within another organization. It doesn't help his cause with Freeman in ATL, especially since Mejia only plays 1B (and could DH).

nsacpi
10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't know which prospects are Rule 5 eligible if not on the 40-man. I believe Hefflinger, Leonard, and Rohm are the only guys that will truly enter that discussion of Braves' draftees. I think Salcedo may also need to be protected, but I'm not sure of his age at signing. Of the non-draftees, Poveda and Obispo will probably be in the discussion. After that, we've got to keep some spots open to sign guys.

You're right about Hefflinger, Rohm and Leornard being eligible for the Rule 5 draft. But I don't think any of them would be drafted. The Braves can probably take a calculated risk and leave them off the roster. I don't think Salcedo has to be protected until next year. He signed in 2010 at age 18 and has 4 minor league seasons under his belt.

ElChupanibre
10-17-2013, 04:13 PM

The following are all Rule 5 eligible in December (nearly half are also minor league free agents and will no longer be in the Braves system by then unless they are resigned):

Mitch Atkins
Luis Ayala
William Beckwith
Brandon Boggs
Rafael Bricero
Cory Brownstein
Brett Cammons
Albert Campos
Dan Castro
Dan Carroll
Juan Cedeno
Dimasther Delgado
Pat Egan
Abraham Espinosa
Robert Fish
Carlos Franco
Hector Garcia
Stefan Gartrell
Yean Carlos Gil
Greg Golson
Tyler Greene
Robert Hefflinger
Mycal Jones
Sean Kazmar
Thomas Keeling
Barrett Kleinkneckt
Emerson Landoni
Michael Lee
Jose Lugo
Ronald Luna
Christian Marrero
Felix Marte
Jose Martinez
Shawn McGill
Gary Moran
Anthony Nunez
Andy Otero
Ronan Pacheco
Carlos Perez
Williams Perez
Benino Pruneda
Wilson Rivera
David Rohm
Edison Sanchez
Chasen Shreve
Chris Sims
Matt Weaver
Ryan Weber
Nick Weglarz
Keenan Wiley

nsacpi
10-17-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't think Lipka should be on the above list. Signed at age 18 in 2010 and has 4 pro seasons.

ElChupanibre
10-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't think Lipka should be on the above list. Signed at age 18 in 2010 and has 4 pro seasons.

Removed him, had his birthyear incorrect.

jsebe10
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Lol still wondering why Constanza's name is even mentioned in the "cut " or trade. I don't what else this bastard has to do to prove he's a decent valuable asset.

nsacpi
10-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Lol still wondering why Constanza's name is even mentioned in the "cut " or trade. I don't what else this bastard has to do to prove he's a decent valuable asset.

Plus he has an option left. I would definitely keep him on the 40 man.

nsacpi
10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Ryan Buchter is another one who could be added to the 40-man roster. His walk rate is much too high. But the strikeout rate in AAA was one of the best in the league. We don't have too many lefty relievers in AAA, which should help his chances.

Last season he had 51 walks and 103 strikeouts in 62 innings, both cartoonishly high numbers.

He's pitching in the Mexican Winter League and so far has 9 strikeouts and 1 walk in 6 innings.

Fastball sits at 95 and has a nasty slider. The stuff is there. Maybe Roger McDowell can work a little magic with his control.

50PoundHead
10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Must be some kind of Vulcan mind meld going on because I thought of Buchter this morning after looking at the Winter League stats.

I was shocked to see his walk rate is as high as it is, but he could be a LOOGY. His splits against LHH in 2013 were pretty impressive although he walked a lot of them as well.

nsacpi
10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
The Rodrigo Lopez trade might yet pay off!