PDA

View Full Version : Redskins -Indians-Braves

57Brave
10-18-2013, 07:11 AM
What do you think?

sturg33
10-18-2013, 08:03 AM
One ****ty team, one pretty good team, and one really good team with a ****ty manager

zitothebrave
10-18-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm personally more concerned with the animals. Has any animal ever taken a beating to their rep like the Jaguar? A once mighty and feared north american big cat, who's most well known human ties were to a feared Aztec warrior and sexy cars, now is associated with horrible football and a fanbase who wants Tim Tebow.

50PoundHead
10-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I understand how some could be offended and I'm not trying to minimize that, but I don't think I could lose a minute of sleep over this issue if I tried. It's truly removed from my life experience. But I'm a fan of the team and not the name, so they could change the name of the team to the Atlanta Beekeepers and they'd still be my team.

Left-of-center though I am (and I'm not trying to hijack here), I just wish the President had kept his mouth shut on this issue. I don't know when he uttered his concerns, but I know it was in the same time frame as the government shutdown and impending debt ceiling issue. I thought the fact that he said anything one way or the other was ridiculous given that context.

Bj1133
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
PC overreaction, but like 50, I don't really have a dog in the fight. Leave the names or change them, doesn't affect me one way or the other.

gilesfan
10-18-2013, 12:29 PM
What do you think?

Big fan

Gary82
10-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Redskins is pretty damn bad. I totally understand people wanting to change that one.

Indians, well, it reminds us all that Christopher Columbus was a dumb ass as well as a piece of ****. The red skin caricature of the Indian is more than likely going to get the boot in due time.

Ted Turner wanted to change the Braves into the Eagles, but no one was having that. I think Braves isn't really disrespectful, but the chop is grotesque. It's probably not going anywhere for some time.

Dalyn
10-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Doesn't offend the Algonquin part of me.

bravesnumberone
10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Redskins and Indians are far more offensive than Braves or Chiefs. I'd bring Blackhawks into the mix, but no one cares about hockey.

acesfull86
10-19-2013, 12:45 PM
link (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/indians-redskins-slur-20505945)

Tommy Yazzie, superintendent of the Red Mesa school district on the Navajo Nation reservation, grew up when Navajo children were forced into boarding schools to disconnect them from their culture. Some were punished for speaking their native language. Today, he sees environmental issues as the biggest threat to his people.

The high school football team in his district is the Red Mesa Redskins.

----------------

I dunno...it's hard for me to even pretend to care about this when there is a high school on a Native American reservation, with a 99.3% school population of Native Americans, and they call their team the Redskins.

cajunrevenge
10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I must have missed the part of the constitution where it says you have a right to not be offended. If people are offended then don't give the team or the nfl your money. Thats how capitalisim works.

What's going to happen is when the day comes that the redskins are sold Goodell is going to make a name change a requirement to buy the team.

Gary82
10-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm not offended. I just think its poor taste. The extent of my objection, however, lies within the confines of this thread.

It's up to the owner to change the name, and he is adamantly opposed to doing so. Public opinion may eventually change his mind, but I doubt it.

57Brave
10-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm not offended. I just think its poor taste. The extent of my objection, however, lies within the confines of this thread.

It's up to the owner to change the name, and he is adamantly opposed to doing so. Public opinion may eventually change his mind, but I doubt it.

confines?

thethe
10-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Why should a independent business be forced to do something they don't want to do?

Krgrecw
10-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Why is no one bringing up The Fighting Irish? I don't think All Irish people fight than again I don't think real Irish people give a **** because they know it's just a team name. Just like the majority of real Indians don't give a ****.

Just another opportunity for liberals to talk about something else while distracting people away from real problems like the economy and the ACA.

zitothebrave
10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Why is no one bringing up The Fighting Irish? I don't think All Irish people fight than again I don't think real Irish people give a **** because they know it's just a team name. Just like the majority of real Indians don't give a ****.

Just another opportunity for liberals to talk about something else while distracting people away from real problems like the economy and the ACA.

Erhm, I don't think that Native Americans played a vital role in the founding of the Braves, Redskins, etc.

It's like the difference between a black fellow calling a chap who's black of his a N word that ends with a and a white fellow call a chap who's black the N word with a hard R. Totally different words and meanings and different connotations.

Tapate50
10-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Stop allowing words to have power and we don't have this issue.

zitothebrave
10-19-2013, 06:27 PM

I agree with this sentiment, but then again words do have power so that puts us in a fun pickle. Where do you tread the line between sensitivity and practicality.

Gary82
10-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Why should a independent business be forced to do something they don't want to do?

obligatory response: should businesses be able to deny service due to color of skin?

The reason why I bring this up is you're giving me the impression that businesses should not have to do anything they don't want to do at all.

Gary82
10-19-2013, 07:14 PM

**** piss **** cunt cocksucker mother****er tits

fart turd and twat

Gary82
10-19-2013, 07:21 PM
confines?

friendly confines :)

thethe
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
obligatory response: should businesses be able to deny service due to color of skin?

The reason why I bring this up is you're giving me the impression that businesses should not have to do anything they don't want to do at all.

I think a business should have the power to serve whoever they want but they would be stupid to reject anyone because that just means another company will take up that market share and it could invariably lead to them going out of business.

Gary82
10-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I think a business should have the power to serve whoever they want but they would be stupid to reject anyone because that just means another company will take up that market share and it could invariably lead to them going out of business.

OK. Let's say, hypothetically, that a business owner decides not to serve to a minority. Yes, other businesses could say, look at that! We could make so much more money! However, let's say this business owner lives in an area where the majority of business owners feel the same way regarding serving to minorities.

What ever could go wrong.

thethe
10-19-2013, 07:30 PM
OK. Let's say, hypothetically, that a business owner decides not to serve to a minority. Yes, other businesses could say, look at that! We could make so much more money! However, let's say this business owner lives in an area where the majority of business owners feel the same way regarding serving to minorities.

What ever could go wrong.

Then I would sell my hosue and move to this area and open up the same type of business and serve to everyone. I would become richer than I could ever imagine. In reality, business owners would not be so stupid and someone would sell to everyone.

Krgrecw
10-19-2013, 10:33 PM
A business can't reject servicing minorities. A business has a 'right to refuse service' but you can't discriminate against a race. You can't say 'I don't serve blacks' but you can put a sign up saying 'no gang colors' You can make the appearance of a business not really inviting to blacks but you can't tell them they are not wanted

Thethe, in the retail world you don't want to sell to everyone. That's bad for business. The people that have money don't really like to shop where people that don't have money shop.

Tapate50
10-19-2013, 11:13 PM
**** piss **** cunt cocksucker mother****er tits

fart turd and twat
Feel better?

50PoundHead
10-21-2013, 02:45 PM
A business can't reject servicing minorities. A business has a 'right to refuse service' but you can't discriminate against a race. You can't say 'I don't serve blacks' but you can put a sign up saying 'no gang colors' You can make the appearance of a business not really inviting to blacks but you can't tell them they are not wanted

Thethe, in the retail world you don't want to sell to everyone. That's bad for business. The people that have money don't really like to shop where people that don't have money shop.

+1. You can't discriminate on race (and you shouldn't), but you can refuse to serve on behavior/expression issues.

Tapate50
10-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I agree with this sentiment, but then again words do have power so that puts us in a fun pickle. Where do you tread the line between sensitivity and practicality.

:fredi:

It is a free country. You have options.

ChapelHillMatt
10-22-2013, 07:55 AM
If they change the name I'll probably have to pick a new team to pull for. I've been a Redskins fan all my life, it's the only team I've ever known. I don't understand why this is such a big issue. It's not like they chose the name last week. It's been the team name since they came into the league. It's also just a name of a professional sports team. Don't we have more important things to worry about in this country? Once again our priorities are all screwed up.

Tapate50
10-22-2013, 07:59 AM
If they change the name I'll probably have to pick a new team to pull for. I've been a Redskins fan all my life, it's the only team I've ever known. I don't understand why this is such a big issue. It's not like they chose the name last week. It's been the team name since they came into the league. It's also just a name of a professional sports team. Don't we have more important things to worry about in this country? Once again our priorities are all screwed up.

Yes, we do. But Obammer brought it up so we have to discuss it.

I don't think you have a lot to worry about it with Snyder at the helm. He seems like he doesn't give 2 poops.

goldfly
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Redskins’ Kike Owner Refuses To Change Team’s Offensive Name

WASHINGTON—Denying widespread claims that the franchise is being offensive or disrespectful, the Washington Redskins’ kike owner announced Monday that he remains steadfast in his refusal to change the team’s derogatory name. “The Redskins represent 81 years of great history and tradition, and it’s a source of pride for our fans,” said the hook-nosed kike, stressing that the team’s insulting moniker is “absolutely not a racial slur by any means.” “‘Washington Redskins’ is much more than just a name. It stands for strength, courage, and respect—the very values that are so intrinsic to Native American culture.” The shifty-eyed hebe went on to assure fans that he will do “everything in his power” to preserve the team’s proud heritage.

50PoundHead
10-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Wow! Your dedication to the team really runs deep.

50PoundHead
10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Redskins’ Kike Owner Refuses To Change Team’s Offensive Name

WASHINGTON—Denying widespread claims that the franchise is being offensive or disrespectful, the Washington Redskins’ kike owner announced Monday that he remains steadfast in his refusal to change the team’s derogatory name. “The Redskins represent 81 years of great history and tradition, and it’s a source of pride for our fans,” said the hook-nosed kike, stressing that the team’s insulting moniker is “absolutely not a racial slur by any means.” “‘Washington Redskins’ is much more than just a name. It stands for strength, courage, and respect—the very values that are so intrinsic to Native American culture.” The shifty-eyed hebe went on to assure fans that he will do “everything in his power” to preserve the team’s proud heritage.

This provided a good laugh.

ChapelHillMatt
10-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Wow! Your dedication to the team really runs deep.

If they change their name their color scheme and uniforms will change as well. No more Hail to the Redskins theme song either. Basically it would be like pulling for a new team anyway. I probably wouldn't change teams but my love for the team would greatly diminish. I would say I'm dedicated, any fan that sticks with them for the past 20 years has to be dedicated or certifiably insane. I could have switched to the Panthers in '95 but decided to remain a Redskins fan.

Tapate50
10-22-2013, 12:58 PM
We should make Dallas change their team name too. Its probably offensive to Washington fans.

50PoundHead
10-22-2013, 03:24 PM
We Scandinavians are put out by the Vikings!

Tapate50
10-22-2013, 03:29 PM
We Scandinavians are put out by the Vikings!

With good reason.