PDA

View Full Version : Egypt

57Brave
07-08-2013, 03:41 PM
What do you think? Curious to see where people stand ==

Dalyn
07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I love what is happening there--at least as far as the change of power goes; wish people didn't have to die for it to happen.

Krgrecw
07-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Kudos to the Egyptian Army for sticking up for the common folk and not giving a **** about the Muslim brotherhood. Egypts on a better road now then they were a week ago

Gary82
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
<-pro secular government. we shall see.

thethe
07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
It was right to oust Morsi. He was as Corrupt as the last guy. Problem is that who knows how long this is going to last for. Muslim Brotherhood is not just going to go away silently.

Krgrecw
07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Army can contain the Brotherhood. They did for a long time. Just round up the leaders and jail them

thethe
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Army can contain the Brotherhood. They did for a long time. Just round up the leaders and jail them

You can't stop a radical Islam gropu by jailing the leaders. New ones will always emerge.

Julio3000
07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I'll wait and see. The only way that it will be a real benefit to the people is if any kind of meaningful reforms are allowed to develop. A technocrat, caretaker government is an improvement, but the military still runs the country.

50PoundHead
07-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Similar problems in Turkey at some points during the 20th century. Army views itself as the ensurer of the secular state and relinquishes control when it appears a legitimate secular state and internal support systems are in place. Trouble is, army often steps back in.

I'm not surprised something like this happened. Was more surprised over the speed with which it happened, both in terms of how soon during Morsi's term the intervention took place and how quickly the army established control. Egypt has a very interesting history. It's where a lot of the more extreme (read conservative) interpretations of how Islam should interface with government and at the same time, it's been a crossroads between East and West for centuries.

For the West, stable regimes have almost become an obsession and I'm sure that's in play here.

jpx7
07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
For the West, stable regimes have almost become an obsession and I'm sure that's in play here.

Often a negative preoccupation: stability for the sake of less/no instability. See: Latin America in the previous century.

50PoundHead
07-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Oh, absolutely. Bismarck's balance-of-power theory crossed with "there's a communist behind every tree" thinking produced more than one mess in Latin America.

goldfly
07-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Was really interesting being there last week

Talked politics with a lot of people and they really hate Obama, fox news and CNN over there

elmonthc
07-12-2013, 04:51 PM
I love what is happening there--at least as far as the change of power goes; wish people didn't have to die for it to happen.

Im glad we didnt get involved. We should stay oit of situations like this all the time.