PDA

View Full Version : Ipad air

Krgrecw
10-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Looks sweet. Almost half as thin as an ipad, same battery life, updated specs. Faster processor. Weighs one pound. But what I don't get is why the M7? I can understand putting a motion sensor on an iPhone or watch to keep track of walking/jogging/gps etc but why on an ipad?

Probably going sell my ipad3 anyways. The retina ipad mini looks sweet too

BlackwaterPark
10-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Prolly more of a why not type thing

zitothebrave
10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
I like the Air, apple is seemingly not happy about the iPad Mini cannibalizing it's big brother's sales. The Mini 2 is stupid expensive. The Wifi iPad Mini 2 costs 399.99. More than 170 bucks than the Nexus 7, it's 20 bucks more than the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, same price as the Nexus 10, both of which are "retina" displays. The LG G-Pad is a similar featured device.

gtcway
10-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I like the Air, apple is seemingly not happy about the iPad Mini cannibalizing it's big brother's sales. The Mini 2 is stupid expensive. The Wifi iPad Mini 2 costs 399.99. More than 170 bucks than the Nexus 7, it's 20 bucks more than the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, same price as the Nexus 10, both of which are "retina" displays. The LG G-Pad is a similar featured device.

The good news for Apple is that most people who are looking at buying an iPad aren't looking at iPad price vs. Nexus (or Android) price. They want an iPad and price doesn't matter much. They will pay whatever it costs or not get one at all.

BlackwaterPark
10-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I will be buying a new iPad Mini Retina :)

zitothebrave
10-23-2013, 08:15 PM
The good news for Apple is that most people who are looking at buying an iPad aren't looking at iPad price vs. Nexus (or Android) price. They want an iPad and price doesn't matter much. They will pay whatever it costs or not get one at all.

That attitude will more or less lead to Android having a market domination similar to their Smart Phone domination.

Krgrecw
10-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Androids 'market domination' is on par with Wally Worlds retail domination. The majority of people can't afford nice stuff hence why Wally World is so big, but a decent percent of the population can afford nice stuff and will buy nice stuff. And they will always buy Apple.

Developers hate android. Many developers arent even creating apps for android. Samsung is dropping android. I wouldn't place a wager on android. Once Samsung drops android, google is ****ed.

zitothebrave
10-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Androids 'market domination' is on par with Wally Worlds retail domination. The majority of people can't afford nice stuff hence why Wally World is so big, but a decent percent of the population can afford nice stuff and will buy nice stuff. And they will always buy Apple.

Developers hate android. Many developers arent even creating apps for android. Samsung is dropping android. I wouldn't place a wager on android. Once Samsung drops android, google is ****ed.

Those are all silly statements.

First off many people choose android over iPhone because they're more premium devices, is it at the same rate as the people who choose it for cheapness? Not globally I'm sure but in the US it is (subsidized phones means if you really want a cheap iPhone you can get one for as cheap as an android)

I would like to see the "many" developers who aren't making apps for android and I'll laugh at their missing revenue. I could be wrong but I believe both of the most recent Angry Birds games debuted on Android first. Apple had to pay to hold reserve on Plants vs. Zombies 2. Android isn't as big of a cash cow per unit as Apple as far as apps go so you expect iOS to get first attention, but anyone who ignores android is ignoring the largest sector of the market.

Samsung isn't dropping android. They're kicking the tires on Tizen but my hunch is that it will at most be a replacement for their cheap phones if it even becomes that. Samsung has stopped trumpeting about Tizen recently and I think they mostly did that to make sure Google didn't just give favoritism to Motorola. It costs a lot of money to build an OS from scratch, I'm fairly sure if Samsung takes it's S stuff off of Android GOogle will sue them successfully for many things since they don't run independently of Android odds are they'll have to totally rework the apps or steal some stuff from Android. In the end, I can't imagine Samsung even pretending that it's worth the money. They tried in the past to make thier own OS, and failed. Android dominated the previous exclusive OSs for a reason, Symbian, Palm, and Blackberry all had strengths, all at one point or another were the top smartphone OS, Android took them all down. Why? Because Android is cheap. No longer does LG or Motorola or Samsung have to waste time making a base OS, Android already provides them a stable OS, they give them an app store with nearly a million apps at their disposal. Android is the reason Samsung is big, they can try to leave it but their's some **** about the hand that feeds and cannibalism that I think they'll watch out for. Apple is the lone successful OS exclusive that works for a reason.

So Samsung can drop Android, then watch users drop Samsung. May not happen immediately but it will happen. Unless Samsung can launch an OS environment as functional and pretty as iOS they'll get left behind and people will leave for Motorola, or HTC, or a number of other manufacturers. Android is the reason people choose Samsung, not the other way around.

sturg33
10-24-2013, 09:49 AM

Is that why iOS 7 basically copied android to a t?