PDA

View Full Version : Potential Internal Reinforcements

nsacpi
07-25-2018, 01:09 PM
I know we are focused mostly on external reinforcements ahead of the trade deadline. But it is worth giving some thought to the potential internal reinforcements in the upper minors and the DL.

1) For the bullpen: Touki and Gohara. I think both have the kind of stuff that would translate well to a high leverage or situational role. Not saying I'm advocating a long term move there. I want to give them every opportunity to develop as starters. But for September (and hopefully October) I think they could help the pen this year. It looks like Viz won't be back until late August at the earliest, but he could help too later this season.

2) For the rotation: In addition to Touki and Gohara, we have guys like Fried, Allard, Sims and Wisler who have been pitching well in AAA and McCarthy and Soroka on the DL. That's pretty good depth which is why I don't understand some of the trade rumors about us looking at starting pitching.

3) Infield help: Rio Ruiz has been hitting better. Riley has also hit well since coming off the DL. They are options if we don't pick someone up on the trade market.

These are the fallback options if AA can't swing any deals. I think he will. But it is reassuring that we have some decent internal options.

BeanieAntics
07-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Yeah I like what we have on the pitching side. I think Touki and Gohara could do fine as bullpen options and I don't think that would necessarily stunt their development as starters, as some do apparently. I think the rotation will be fine without any additions given our depth. I would still like to add a Loogy at least though.

On the bench/utility side of things, I'm not a big fan of what we have there. I think we need to make a move to extend the bench and/or find a platoon partner for the left side of the infield. I don't see Ruiz being good enough or Riley being ready enough to make a big impact.

GeorgiaGirl
07-25-2018, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see Touki come up after about 4 or 5 more starts and be given 2-3 innings here and there in games where it's needed out of the pen, even in cases where the game is still moderately in doubt (3-4 run difference either way), at least given a trial there to see if he can handle it, and maybe possibly give him more responsibility at times if he can.

Kinda like what LA is doing with Caleb Ferguson.

atl717
07-25-2018, 01:46 PM
We need to stop mentioning Gohara as help this year. he hasn't been able to get anyone out anywhere, stuff has not looked good as it has regressed a bit. It's a lost year, don't think we can count on him. We might need Touki in the rotation. The starters are not doing well.

striker42
07-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Gohara needs an intense offseason training regimen. He understandably backslid last offseason which I think has contributed largely to his struggles this year. Get him back into shape and I think he gains that edge again.

jpx7
07-25-2018, 01:59 PM
I mostly agree that it’d be developmentally better to just leave Gohara starting in AAA, and hope he can rediscover 2017 in time for 2019. But I think Toussaint’s a good candidate for feet-wetting innings later this season, whether it’s bullpen reinforcement or a need in the rotation.

Southcack77
07-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Gohara needs an intense offseason training regimen. He understandably backslid last offseason which I think has contributed largely to his struggles this year. Get him back into shape and I think he gains that edge again.

His body was exactly the reason I have never bought in to Gohara completely and would always have been willing to include him in trade discussions.

rico43
07-25-2018, 02:30 PM

With Kemp last year and Gohara this year I am beginning to think the Braves' approach to managing a players' weight is by limiting him to two plates in the buffet.

striker42
07-25-2018, 03:21 PM
I'm willing to let Gohara's fitness issues this year slide. He had his father, who he was very close to, die in his arms suddenly over the offseason. That is enough to mess with anyone. I just hope the Braves make it clear what he has to do this offseason.

Acuña’s Bat Flip
07-25-2018, 06:47 PM
What is the ETA on Salas?

Julio3000
07-25-2018, 10:57 PM
I'm willing to let Gohara's fitness issues this year slide. He had his father, who he was very close to, die in his arms suddenly over the offseason. That is enough to mess with anyone. I just hope the Braves make it clear what he has to do this offseason.

He made me eat crow last year based on my impression of him after the trade. I’m willing to give him some leeway given the circumstances this season. Guys like Zach Grienke and Joey Votto have been temporarily derailed by non-baseball challenges, and I think we should fully appreciate the adversity the kid has faced this year. In pure baseball terms, this is a lost year, but in the context of real life I hope we can recognize the difficulty of what he’s trying to do—excel in an unforgiving mental and physical arena while dealing with personal duress, culture shock, injuries, and professional setbacks. I hope he’s fit and squared away next spring, but I’m willing to be patient.