nsacpi
09-22-2018, 07:57 AM
I just found out Sobotka means Giant Wren in FINNISH!*!*

Tapate50
09-22-2018, 10:11 AM
The Finnish thing is so 90’s

MadduxFanII
09-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Wrens are not welcome in this organization.

The Chosen One
09-22-2018, 01:49 PM
As I said last night in the GDT, Sobotka has done a really good job holding down the port for his crew.

CyYoung31
09-22-2018, 01:52 PM
As I said last night in the GDT, Sobotka has done a really good job holding down the port for his crew.

He knows how to protect his union.

The Chosen One
09-22-2018, 01:58 PM
He knows how to protect his union.

Really knows how to Represent them.:FrediWut:

50PoundHead
09-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Wren would have traded him for Emiliano Bonifacio.

BeanieAntics
09-22-2018, 02:10 PM
I kinda hope we put Sobotka on the postseason roster. I wonder if we will have the room. I think we should go with a 4 man bench honestly. I think I'd rather have the bullpen arms.

DirkPiggler
09-22-2018, 02:30 PM
I kinda hope we put Sobotka on the postseason roster. I wonder if we will have the room. I think we should go with a 4 man bench honestly. I think I'd rather have the bullpen arms.

Drop Newk if he's not going to start.

50PoundHead
09-22-2018, 05:26 PM
It will be interesting to see. I don't think anything is set. Brach was acquired to do what Sobotka is doing (and not doing it very well). I think Vizcaino, Minter, Venters, and Biddle are absolute locks. I would guess Winkler is darn close to being a lock (although he has been terrible in September), but that would leave several spots wide open.

I will be curious to see if they use Newcomb out of the bullpen from here on out and see if he could help there in the post-season. Houston did some of that last year and it worked well for them.

The Chosen One
09-22-2018, 05:36 PM
It will be interesting to see. I don't think anything is set. Brach was acquired to do what Sobotka is doing (and not doing it very well). I think Vizcaino, Minter, Venters, and Biddle are absolute locks. I would guess Winkler is darn close to being a lock (although he has been terrible in September), but that would leave several spots wide open.

I will be curious to see if they use Newcomb out of the bullpen from here on out and see if he could help there in the post-season. Houston did some of that last year and it worked well for them.

Viz
Minter
Sobotka
Brach
Venters
Freeman
Biddle
Winkler

Is what I have now. @nscapi thinks Carle should be added too.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Carle is on the roster for me, there is time for him to tune up more before playoffs but he has been very good when used since coming back. Biddle and Winkler are suffering from fatigue IMO and so both are questions and in need of days off to rest and then pitch them last few to see if that helps.

Enscheff
09-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Wait....what?

Of all Braves pitchers who faced 50+ batters since the trade deadline (12 guys), Brach ranks as the #2 BP arm in terms of wOBA at .268 and xwOBA at .308, both behind only Venters.

As far as BP regulars go, Brach has been very solid.

50PoundHead
09-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Wait....what?

Of all Braves pitchers who faced 50+ batters since the trade deadline (12 guys), Brach ranks as the #2 BP arm in terms of wOBA at .268 and xwOBA at .308, both behind only Venters.

WHIP around 1.3 since we got him. WHIP isn't everything, but it's still too high for me especially when the rest of the pen is so shaky.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Wait....what?

yea, he gave up a hit today but otherwise not much with us.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:06 PM
How much of it in high leverage?

he has pitched 8th and 9th quite a bit.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Winkler in Sept: 18.90 ERA, Biddle in Sept: 6.75 ERA

Brach has a 2.08 ERA in Sept. and ERA under 2 the second half.

Carle has only allowed one run in 7.1 innings (1.17 ERA in Sept) since his return. Batters hitting .192

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Both have better second half numbers overall too btw, and that includes Carle bad spell from fatigue and injury.

nsacpi
09-22-2018, 06:14 PM
assuming we face the Dodgers we need to account for the fact they position share at four of the spots in the lineup...this allows them to aggressively seek out the platoon advantage...I think we will probably counter that with a nine man pen...four lefties five righties...once our starter is out of the game we should own all the platoon matchups

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:15 PM
If you ask me, both Winkler and Biddle who are not use to pitching this much in a while after coming off arm injuries are suffering from fatigue same as Carle had been before his shutdown, same as Freeman as well. So I am not sure either can be trusted if they are not rested now and able to get it back just before playoffs.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:24 PM
I am not ready to rule out Wright for playoffs yet, he has looked good minus one game and too many walks. I want him to get some games to decide for sure.

nsacpi
09-22-2018, 06:34 PM
If you ask me, both Winkler and Biddle who are not use to pitching this much in a while after coming off arm injuries are suffering from fatigue same as Carle had been before his shutdown, same as Freeman as well. So I am not sure either can be trusted if they are not rested now and able to get it back just before playoffs.

I dont think we can shut them down completely but we can spread out their appearances more...i imagine we will do this with all the guys who will be on the post season roster

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:36 PM
I am leaning towards an 8-man pen including Viz, Venters, Minter, Brach, Carle, Sobotka, and two of Touki, Biddle, Winkler, Wright, Freeman or Fried. Even Fried still has a shot as a lefty for me, just depends on how they all look rest of the way. Freeman has a 0.00 ERA in Sept. but still has 4 BB's in only 5.1 inning and batters hitting .286 so he is another question mark for me too.

Viz, Venters, Minter, Brach, Carle and Sobotka are my top 6 right now. But how they finish could change that too.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:39 PM
I dont think we can shut them down completely but we can spread out their appearances more...i imagine we will do this with all the guys who will be on the post season roster

I just don't want us depending on clearly fatigued relievers in the post season, ive seen that movie before and it doesn't end well.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:48 PM
AA will want to carry Adams to PR in playoffs, so if we go with shorter bench Duvall would be left off most likely. Snit has seemingly gave up on him so that might happen anyway. If snit doesn't give him enough ab's this coming week that will be telling that he isn't going to even give him a chance. Which is funny since he says the opposite.

BeanieAntics
09-22-2018, 06:49 PM
We need to take the opportunity and really use guys like Wright, Wilson, Touki, even Allard a lot over the next week of games. Don't shut guys down, but let the young guys take on a bigger role. Further evaluate them and rest the important dudes. Win-win

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 06:51 PM
We need to take the opportunity and really use guys like Wright, Wilson, Touki, even Allard a lot over the next week of games. Don't shut guys down, but let the young guys take on a bigger role. Further evaluate them and rest the important dudes. Win-win

i think Wilson sitting so long hurt him as he has really lacked control after sitting what ten days between games?

nsacpi
09-22-2018, 06:57 PM
I just don't want us depending on clearly fatigued relievers in the post season, ive seen that movie before and it doesn't end well.

clinching early will give us a chance to sort things out...the Dodgers have a lot of depth and position sharing...I think the best counter is to have a nine man pen...this will allow us to burn through a lot of relievers which is what you have to do to get the platoon advantage against a team like the Dodgers...we dont have a great pen but we have a lot of options

nsacpi
09-22-2018, 07:00 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of those guys will make the post season roster...nor will Newk

our pen will be this: Viz, Brach, Winkler, Carle, Sobotka, Biddle, Minter, Venters, Freeman

the return of Viz could be yuge...in part because it allows us to deploy Minter more flexibly

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 07:02 PM
clinching early will give us a chance to sort things out...the Dodgers have a lot of depth and position sharing...I think the best counter is to have a nine man pen...this will allow us to burn through a lot of relievers which is what you have to do to get the platoon advantage against a team like the Dodgers...we dont have a great pen but we have a lot of options

i still hope Colorado has a run in them to win it, i could see them beating up on philly so if dodgers have a losing streak it could happen. one back in loss column

nsacpi
09-22-2018, 07:05 PM
i still hope Colorado has a run in them to win it, i could see them beating up on philly so if dodgers have a losing streak it could happen. one back in loss column

I want the Dodgers and I bet AA wants them too...we can take those guys

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 07:11 PM
I want the Dodgers and I bet AA wants them too...we can take those guys

I think our pitching matches up best vs Colorado, but Colorado has a better manager. Teheran has owned Colorado pretty much. Outside of Newk, who did well vs the Dodgers?

BeanieAntics
09-22-2018, 07:19 PM
I think our pitching matches up best vs Colorado, but Colorado has a better manager. Teheran has owned Colorado pretty much. Outside of Newk, who did well vs the Dodgers?

Newk had his best start of the year against the Rockies.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 07:28 PM

I disagree, his best was the almost no hitter vs the Dodgers. Even that one run he got charged was not on the one hit he gave up, but bullpen. His 6 shutout innings vs Colorado early in the year was his second best start.

Braves1976
09-22-2018, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't mind Colorado and Dodgers finishing tied and having to play an extra game. That could help us no matter who we face.

50PoundHead
09-22-2018, 07:56 PM
Colorado swept us last time around, but they were crapping horseshoes the whole series and the bullpen coughed away two games late. They have a nice set of hitters, but with Story a question mark for the post-season (if they get that far) they are far less ominous.

UNCBlue012
09-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Colorado swept us last time around, but they were crapping horseshoes the whole series and the bullpen coughed away two games late. They have a nice set of hitters, but with Story a question mark for the post-season (if they get that far) they are far less ominous. I’m not at all afraid of Colorado. They’re solid but have way more holes than LA.

Tapate50
09-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Bring inn a Colorado AND LA... we can take em both on at the same time

Carp
09-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Did you miss the near no hitter against LA?

Carp
09-23-2018, 08:05 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say none of those guys will make the post season roster...nor will Newk

our pen will be this: Viz, Brach, Winkler, Carle, Sobotka, Biddle, Minter, Venters, Freeman

the return of Viz could be yuge...in part because it allows us to deploy Minter more flexibly

I think Newk makes the roster honestly. Gives them an extra starter if they need one and he could be used as a long reliever too. I see no reason to take Sam Freeman over Newk.

Freshmaker
09-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Bring inn a Colorado AND LA... we can take em both on at the same time

Split squad domination