PDA

View Full Version : Game plan for the final 6 games of 2018

Enscheff
09-24-2018, 01:42 PM
The Braves have 6 games left after clinching the NL East, and I would like to see them follow a plan designed specifically to get them ready for the postseason. Folty needs to be lined up to start Game 1 of the NLDS. Guys like Duda and Duvall need several games with several PAs to tune themselves up for a few high leverage PAs in the NLDS. BP arms need to be rested, but I would also like to see them given 2-3 games to practice being used as they should be used in the NLDS to avoid throwing them into scenarios they've never seen before.

Assuming the Braves are going to go with the listed SPs vs the Mets (Touki, Newk, Teheran):

Sept 25: Touki starts, play this game like a normal regular season game
Sept 26: Newcomb starts, treat it as his audition for the NLDS, use young BP arms, give Duda 3-4 PAs vs deGrom
Sept 27: Teheran starts, treat it as his audition for the NLDS, use young BP arms, give Duvall 3-4 PAs vs Vargas
Sept 28: Folty starts on 5 days rest, treat this game like Game 1 of the NLDS where Folty goes 18-20 batters and the BP plays matchup for the rest
Sept 29: Gausman starts on 8 days rest, use young arms to finish this game, get Duvall and/or Duda 3-4 PAs
Sept 30: Sanchez starts on 7 days rest, treat this game like Game 2 of the NLDS where Sanchez goes 18-20 batters and the BP plays matchup for the rest

That plan lines Folty to start Game 1 of the NLDS Oct 4th on 5 days rest, with Gaus and Sanchez lined up behind him.

That plan makes sure Duda and Duvall get 10+ PAs in the final week of the season to get grooved.

That plan gives the BP (and Snit) a couple of "practice" playoff games so nobody is caught off guard with new BP tactics.

nsacpi
09-24-2018, 01:44 PM
I would insert Sanchez between Folty and Gausman in the rotation. Gausman might suffer a bit from going the day after Folty. Otoh Sanchez has a completely different style.

Heyward
09-24-2018, 01:50 PM
I'd play 2/3 of Nick, Ender, Acuna vs the Mets, rest one every game, play Duval every game.

Rest Freeman in one or two of the games vs the Mets.

Dont pitch anyone in the bullpen back to back. Try to rest Minter some if possible, he looks a little gassed.

I wouldnt go full sunday Bobby lineup unless we clinched HFA or LA made it where it's impossible to pass them.

50PoundHead
09-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Enscheff's plan is a good one.

bravesfanforlife88
09-24-2018, 04:02 PM
I'd play 2/3 of Nick, Ender, Acuna vs the Mets, rest one every game, play Duval every game.

Rest Freeman in one or two of the games vs the Mets.

Dont pitch anyone in the bullpen back to back. Try to rest Minter some if possible, he looks a little gassed.

I wouldnt go full sunday Bobby lineup unless we clinched HFA or LA made it where it's impossible to pass them.

I wouldn't pitch Minter in the Mets series at all...try not to use Viz back to back if possible....You are right, Minter is gassed, Venters needs to lighten his load, Biddle the same ( I have zero confidence in him right now)

GeorgiaGirl
09-24-2018, 06:56 PM
It'd be nice to as it's fairly obvious it's true but I don't think the Braves ever really fully embrace the more than 2 time through the order penalty (HOWEVER, when it comes to more than 3 times, I'm pretty sure unless a starter is really dealing, they have! We've see Snitker pull a 6.2 IP and fly with Teheran because it was coming up on the 4th time and Curtis Granderson had owned him before). I don't think any starters go deep this week but it's not going to have anything to do with doing a dress rehearsal for the playoffs. It'll have more to do with not overworking starters before the playoffs and letting youngsters get time to pitch multiple innings.

We need to figure out if Vizcaino can go back to back this week and I'd test Sobotka in fireman situations this week (don't know if it happens). I'd stay away from Minter against the Mets.

Don't stop trying to win, but don't go all out for these games.

nsacpi
09-24-2018, 07:01 PM
I'm ok with just having Viz every other day...lots of off days in the playoffs

NYCBrave
09-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately I have a strong feeling the Dodgers will pass us for home field advantage. They're only 1 back and have the tie breaker. They also have easier matchups. We've got to face at least DeGrom, Syndegaard and Nola. That's with us potentially benching starters and testing bullpen situations. Dodgers will be going full speed trying to win their division.

Braves1976
09-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately I have a strong feeling the Dodgers will pass us for home field advantage. They're only 1 back and have the tie breaker. They also have easier matchups. We've got to face at least DeGrom, Syndegaard and Nola. That's with us potentially benching starters and testing bullpen situations. Dodgers will be going full speed trying to win their division.

We can beat Nola, just use Adams again he owns him lol

Heyward
09-24-2018, 08:40 PM

Philly could shut Nola down, wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

Braves1976
09-24-2018, 08:44 PM

yea maybe but if he starts i doubt he goes past 5 innings

Braves1976
09-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Dodgers facing lefty Ray tonight and already up 1-0 in 1st, they seem good vs lefties now.

NYCBrave
09-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Me either. He's already made a pretty significant leap in innings since last year.

Braves1976
09-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Me either. He's already made a pretty significant leap in innings since last year.

They changed his innings cap due to the pennant race too, but now that's over so yea they might just shut him down.

goldfly
09-25-2018, 06:51 AM
Win Wednesday cause I have missed the past month in Europe and moved my flight a day later return to Atlanta so I could go see the nl east champs play Wednesday. Lol

Heyward
09-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Win Wednesday cause I have missed the past month in Europe and moved my flight a day later return to Atlanta so I could go see the nl east champs play Wednesday. Lol

Newk vs DeGrom,if Braves win it's a miracle.

bravesfanMatt
09-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Is worse than Nola vs scrubs. Newk should be good with extra rest

Bluedevilruss
09-25-2018, 11:19 AM

In New York I hope?

thewupk
09-25-2018, 12:18 PM

has he beaten us this year?

goldfly
09-25-2018, 07:24 PM
In New York I hope?

Correct. Just getting into Manhattan now