PDA

View Full Version : Is Brantley the new Braves outfielder?

rico43
11-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Stronger than usual rumors out of Cleveland indicate free agent outfield Michael Brantley, who was not offered arbitration by the Tribe, is close to signing a three-year deal with the Braves. A three-time all-star, he missed most of the 2016 season after a late 2015 mishap where a dive tore up his right shoulder so badly it required two major surgeries.

He appaerntly has recovered enough to be passable in the outfield, but would be put in left, necessitating Acuna's move to right. He's only 31, walks as much as he strikes out, and hits nothing but line drives.

Thoughts?

Chico
11-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Stronger than usual rumors out of Cleveland indicate free agent outfield Michael Brantley, who was not offered arbitration by the Tribe, is close to signing a three-year deal with the Braves. A three-time all-star, he missed most of the 2016 season after a late 2015 mishap where a dive tore up his right shoulder so badly it required two major surgeries.

He appaerntly has recovered enough to be passable in the outfield, but would be put in left, necessitating Acuna's move to right. He's only 31, walks as much as he strikes out, and hits nothing but line drives.

Thoughts?

Of course like everyone I'd like someone a little sexier, but I keep coming back to Brantley as the most logical. Also, a great clubhouse guy and with the current team chemistry I do think that will play a part as well as the talent and value.

zbhargrove
11-08-2018, 12:16 PM
This rumor has been out for a while now with little new information... that being said, I've warmed on him quite a bit. I hate shoulder issues, but it seems as if he's recovered well and had a very strong offensive season... stronger than I realized.

Nerfherders
11-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Honestly, I was hoping for more. Brantley is basically Nick Markakis. I was hoping for more pop out of that position.

clvclv
11-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Thoughts?

Where was this anyway?

zbhargrove
11-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Honestly, I was hoping for more. Brantley is basically Nick Markakis. I was hoping for more pop out of that position.

Brantley is much more dynamic than Markakis.... Brantley on average healthy is basically like Markakis' best years. And there will be more, its one piece and I personally think its a good pick.

brian22
11-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Source?

Heyward
11-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Where was this anyway?

The rumor that has former #Indians OF Michael Brantley going to the #Braves with a three year contract certainly makes sense. Losing Brantley has increased the pressure for Cleveland to shore up a weak hitting outfield. Do they trade a pitcher to get it done?

From twitter.

Heyward
11-08-2018, 12:22 PM

If Brantley was our only move, yes, but if you add Brantley with JTR, and add a pen arm or two with a bench bat.

The team is alot improved from last year.

CJ9
11-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Isn't that old random Bernie guy the only place this supposed rumor is coming from? I haven't seen anything remotely credible suggesting this.

clvclv
11-08-2018, 12:31 PM
The rumor that has former #Indians OF Michael Brantley going to the #Braves with a three year contract certainly makes sense. Losing Brantley has increased the pressure for Cleveland to shore up a weak hitting outfield. Do they trade a pitcher to get it done?

From twitter.

Not sure you can take "is close to signing a three year deal with the Braves" from that tweet.

Heyward
11-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Not sure you can take "is close to signing a three year deal with the Braves" from that tweet.

I dont, and free agents usually dont sign this early into the winter. Maybe a bench bat will sign, but once the QO's are declined/accepted, maybe by the end of the month some guys will sign.

And some trades will happen as well but i dont see any big names signing anytime soon.

Enscheff
11-08-2018, 12:32 PM
It would not surprise me at all: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8437&highlight=brantley

"I keep coming back around to Michael Brantley as an option for LF. Before being sidelined by a major ankle injury, Brantley was a consistent high average, moderate power corner OFer...much like Markakis was when the Braves signed him. Since coming back from the ankle injury, he has continued to be the same high average, moderate power corner OFer he was prior to the injury. Nothing about his 2018 peripherals (.308 BABIP, 12.0% HR/FB) suggests significant sustainability issues with his current .308/.355/.493 line.

Brantley is a lot like Markakis at the time the Braves signed him (recent surgery, above average player, early 30s, good average, moderate power, below average defense, should not have a QO attached), and I expect he will cost something similar to the 2019 equivalent of the 4/44 deal Markakis got from the Braves. The difference now is that the Braves are in a position where acquiring such a player makes sense, whereas it probably didn't back when they signed Markakis. "

If the Braves can get him on a 3 year deal rather than the 4 year deal I predicted 3 months ago, I give the signing two thumbs up.

jpx7
11-08-2018, 01:38 PM

He’s more like the Markakis signed four years ago—but with a better bat and worse injury concerns.

Edit: I see Enscheff already reiterated this point.

cajunrevenge
11-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Brantley would be a great move. Excellent hitter vs RH pitching and ideally Duvall could be make an effective platoon partner. Brantley also fits well at the top of the batting order so we can move Acuna down. Even vs his weakness, left hand pitching, he has maintained a .320 OBP vs them so he isnt an automatic out when he does face them. We could also use Riley at 3B and LF to cover for platoon splits. Brantley is the hitter Markakis was in the first half but with a platoon split. Only a 3 year deal makes it a great deal. If go on to trade for Realmuto and sign a closer I will be okay with this offseason. I really dont want to trade all our pitching prospects. One trade is enough. If we have to lets get an elite player at the trade deadline.

rico43
11-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Where was this anyway?

It was attributed on MLBTR to "an old major league scout" with a podcast named Bernie Pleskoff. His info usually tracks pretty well.

rico43
11-08-2018, 02:12 PM
I dont, and free agents usually dont sign this early into the winter. Maybe a bench bat will sign, but once the QO's are declined/accepted, maybe by the end of the month some guys will sign.

And some trades will happen as well but i dont see any big names signing anytime soon.

That's not the only tweet. Cleveland beat writers verified the info.

TheRunningAgent
11-08-2018, 02:14 PM
If Brantley was our only move, yes, but if you add Brantley with JTR, and add a pen arm or two with a bench bat.

The team is alot improved from last year.

That’s the key. If he is a piece, then I’m ok with it. He is listed as the second best free agent outfielder in some publications.

CJ9
11-08-2018, 02:16 PM
That's not the only tweet. Cleveland beat writers verified the info.

Can you post those tweets from Cleveland beat writers?

clvclv
11-08-2018, 02:29 PM
It was attributed on MLBTR to "an old major league scout" with a podcast named Bernie Pleskoff. His info usually tracks pretty well.

Saw the Pleskoff tweet...just never saw anyone mention something was "close".

Hudson2
11-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Could Brantley bat lead off?

msstate7
11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

No way... gotta get that leadoff hr record - snit

Enscheff
11-08-2018, 03:27 PM

As long as he hits in front of Acuna and Freeman I don’t think it necessarily needs to be leadoff.

But yes, he is the best leadoff candidate just like Markakis was.

Heyward
11-08-2018, 03:50 PM
No way... gotta get that leadoff hr record - snit

Mookie Betts hit leadoff for the Red Sox. More AB's for Acuna the better, no?

thewupk
11-08-2018, 04:21 PM

Those that waited last year got nothing unless they were the top tier FAs

DontStopTheChop
11-08-2018, 04:22 PM
They also had the luxury of some serious power behind Betts. Outside of Freddie, the braves currently don’t have enough run producers hitting behind Acuna to warrant batting him leadoff.

clvclv
11-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Those that waited last year got nothing unless they were the top tier FAs

Pretty sure last winter shook everyone up enough to expect that players will sign the minute they hear the number they feel is acceptable going forward.

Marginal players simply can't afford to wait the market out anymore unless they're willing to gamble that they may be left without a chair when the music stops. I still haven't seen anything to make me believe that a Brantley signing is imminent, but I would bet that if he gets to the point that 3/$45 million is on the table from someone and nobody's stepped up and beat it within 36-48 hours he signs given his injury history.

Most rebuilding teams won't give out Markakis-like deals even though it worked out for the Braves, and there are an awful lot of rebuilding teams these days.

BeanieAntics
11-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Mookie Betts hit leadoff for the Red Sox. More AB's for Acuna the better, no?

Its probably not his best spot, but its a little different when you have monsters hitting behind him like JD Martinez, Benintendi, Xander, etc. Still, I think the Red Sox would benefit from hitting someone like Xander or Benintendi first and move Mookie down a bit.

elmore80
11-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Brantley walks as much as he strikes out, had an OBP of .364 OPS of .832 and hit .309. he is a smooth player, hope we get him. Get Grandal or Ramos to Catch and a good closer not named Kimbrel.

BeanieAntics
11-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I don't know what it is about Brantley, but he just seems like a bad idea to me. I know he is a better player than I am perceiving, but man he just doesn't tickle my fancy.

Perfect Cell
11-08-2018, 09:01 PM
I hope we get both him and Josh Donaldson.

Enscheff
11-08-2018, 09:05 PM
I don't know what it is about Brantley, but he just seems like a bad idea to me. I know he is a better player than I am perceiving, but man he just doesn't tickle my fancy.

I get it. He is a non-slugger that plays slugger level defense at a slugger position and seems like a guy who is about to get hurt at any minute. To make matters worse, Snit will likely miscast him as the #4 hitter.

Unfortunately, there is no mid-level star in the cOF between Brantley’s $40M and Harper’s $400M. I wish there was a $100M player for the Braves to target.

striker42
11-08-2018, 09:54 PM
I get it. He is a non-slugger that plays slugger level defense at a slugger position and seems like a guy who is about to get hurt at any minute. To make matters worse, Snit will likely miscast him as the #4 hitter.

Unfortunately, there is no mid-level star in the cOF between Brantley’s $40M and Harper’s $400M. I wish there was a $100M player for the Braves to target.

Add in that he's on the wrong side of 30 and this is where I'm at. He feels like a "good enough" fit instead of a great fit.

nsacpi
11-09-2018, 07:09 AM
All alternatives to corner outfield have pros and cons, especially when cost is taken into account. If we can get Brantley at an AAV under 15M on a 3 year deal that be a pretty good move.

50PoundHead
11-09-2018, 07:33 AM
Brantley appears to be a better athlete than Markakis, but, like others, the injury bug scares me. It would all depend on length of contract for me.

rico43
11-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Brantley appears to be a better athlete than Markakis, but, like others, the injury bug scares me. It would all depend on length of contract for me.

If Brantley had some of the qualities you are being wishful about, he would have been renewed or re-signed by the Indians.

nsacpi
11-09-2018, 12:05 PM
If Brantley had some of the qualities you are being wishful about, he would have been renewed or re-signed by the Indians.

The Indians have some tough choices to make due to payroll. Brantley is solid player with some injury risk. Not a star. We all know what he is and what he isn't. And there some risks as there are with any player. If we can get him on a 3-year deal it will limit those risks.

zbhargrove
11-09-2018, 12:07 PM

That's a weird comment and overly simplistic way to look at it. Pretty unnecessary comment and likely untrue?

Enscheff
11-09-2018, 12:18 PM
I think the correct statement is, "if Brantley didn't have the flaws we mention as concerns, he wouldn't be available for 3/45 with no QO attached".

Signing Brantley almost certainly requires a RHH cOF on the roster to split some time with him and/or fill in for an extended period of time in the event of a Brantley injury. Maybe that guy is Duvall. Maybe Duvall was acquired with an eye towards Brantley all along. Maybe Duvall is gone and the Braves look elsewhere for that RHH cOF.

50PoundHead
11-09-2018, 12:57 PM

?. It's obviously impossible to tell, but Brantley's SB stats lead me to believe he's faster than Markakis and, as such, is probably more physically gifted. That doesn't necessarily equate to better performance in other aspects of the game.

Tapate50
11-09-2018, 03:32 PM
I think the argument is likely Cutch vs Brantley. Discuss:

Carp
11-09-2018, 04:04 PM
I'd much rather have Cutch if the price was the same. But something tells me he'll get that extra 4th year that Brantley won't. Nut sure that the Braves will be willing to do that.

Enscheff
11-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I think the argument is likely Cutch vs Brantley. Discuss:

I think both fit about the same, and I don't think we talk about Cutch enough as a real possibility. I haven't dug into it much, but they seem like virtually mirror images of the same hitter at this point.

NOTE: this does not mean I think I came up with the Cutch idea...just in case a certain poster with severe reading comprehension problems takes issue with that comment.

BeanieAntics
11-09-2018, 04:21 PM
I think both fit about the same, and I don't think we talk about Cutch enough as a real possibility. I haven't dug into it much, but they seem like virtually mirror images of the same hitter at this point.

NOTE: this does not mean I think I came up with the Cutch idea...just in case a certain poster with severe reading comprehension problems takes issue with that comment.

ALL YOU DO IS COPY FROM FANGRAPHS AND POACH OTHER USER'S IDEAS!!!! WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT YOUR FANCY SCHMANCY SOFTWARE ALGAE RHYTHM PROJECTOR THING THAT NOBODY UNDERSTANDS!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

CJ9
11-09-2018, 04:58 PM
So two days ago, bowman was writing that Brantley was a real possibility and raving about him on an MLB.com podcast. Today, Bowman is writing that Brantley is likely a secondary option for the corner OF.

For that drastic of a shift, I’m guessing someone in the Braves organization corrected him. Also makes me wonder who they’re targeting as a primary option.

clvclv
11-09-2018, 09:29 PM

And I'm the one with a complex - funny.

CyYoung31
11-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Think I’d rather have McCutchen since he won’t have to be platooned. Brantley is god awful against LHP.

nsacpi
11-10-2018, 07:19 AM
There is some need to achieve righty lefty balance in the lineup which has a some relevance to choosing between Brantley and Cutch. As things currently stand we have 5 righties and switch hitters who are better from the right side, and 2 lefties in the lineup.

cajunrevenge
11-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Think I’d rather have McCutchen since he won’t have to be platooned. Brantley is god awful against LHP.

Put up a .320 OBP vs lefties the last 2 years. OPS wise yes he is terrible but gets on base about 1 out 3 tries vs lefties which is not great but no turrible. He should still be platooned but he isnt Melvining it up out there vs lefties.

BeanieAntics
11-10-2018, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure if we are going to have a similar situation as last year, where there are some talented players still without teams late into the season like Moustakas. If there are, I wonder if one of Pollock, McCutchen, or Brantley could be one of those guys. I think we need to get our catcher relatively early, since there is a pretty decent dropoff once you get past Ramos. Unless we want to roll with a defense first guy like Maldonado. But maybe it might be worth it to let the OF market simmer a little bit before we make any big moves, assuming that we plan on addressing corner outfield through free agency (which I hope we DON'T do). But if we do, maybe we could end up getting better value than we think.

weso1
11-10-2018, 10:04 AM
I really like McCutchen, so Cutch me. It would make the team even that more likeable.

nsacpi
11-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Career splits data:

Markakis .725 OPS against lefties .808 against righties

Brantley .702 against lefties .818 against righties

Duvall .760 against lefties .739 against righties

50PoundHead
11-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Put up a .320 OBP vs lefties the last 2 years. OPS wise yes he is terrible but gets on base about 1 out 3 tries vs lefties which is not great but no turrible. He should still be platooned but he isnt Melvining it up out there vs lefties.

Hope that verb finds its way into the next Oxford English Dictionary. I think McCutchen is a safer bet than Brantley and brings a bit more consistent power to the table, which we need. Curious to see if there's a significant market difference between the two in the coming months.

Enscheff
11-10-2018, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if we are going to have a similar situation as last year, where there are some talented players still without teams late into the season like Moustakas. If there are, I wonder if one of Pollock, McCutchen, or Brantley could be one of those guys. I think we need to get our catcher relatively early, since there is a pretty decent dropoff once you get past Ramos. Unless we want to roll with a defense first guy like Maldonado. But maybe it might be worth it to let the OF market simmer a little bit before we make any big moves, assuming that we plan on addressing corner outfield through free agency (which I hope we DON'T do). But if we do, maybe we could end up getting better value than we think.

Risky for sure. Upside is a 2-3 win cOF at a bargain. Downside is missing out on the few above average players available and not imroving the team.

If I’m the Braves I solve C/cOF then wait to bargain shop for the BP and bench.

Tapate50
11-10-2018, 06:19 PM

The OF market likely holds on Harper and to some extent Machado as teams will likely want to see where they go first. Really could hinge on how long Boras and his players want to sit on offers.

Enscheff
11-10-2018, 07:23 PM
The markets for Harper/Machado and everyone else are hopefully so disconnected that those guys won’t hold up everything else.

NinersSBChamps
11-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Wow is that what this once proud franchise has come to now? An oft injured player and a guy who is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago has people here going nuts over them.

BeanieAntics
11-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Wow is that what this once proud franchise has come to now? An oft injured player and a guy who is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago has people here going nuts over them.

Who here is going nuts over Brantley? At best I would characterize it as reluctant optimism if we sign him lol

msstate7
11-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Who here is going nuts over Brantley? At best I would characterize it as reluctant optimism if we sign him lol

I'm going nuts. My pants are off.

Ok, maybe not, but I'd like Brantley

50PoundHead
11-10-2018, 11:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZKpBLrq8ZI

zbhargrove
11-11-2018, 12:55 AM

Did you decide to look at the stats or just post without info like always? He played last year basically at the same level as his whole career before his long stint with one big injury that kept him out for a really long time that didn't seem to bother him at all ever since he got back to a 100%.

He had an .832 OPS in 2018 and has a career .781 OPS but isn't the player he was a few years ago? He only had one year that was clearly on another level and that was 2014 with a .890 ish OPS. He's not a star... we aren't looking for a star... As always you prove you don't follow baseball at all and don't care.

NinersSBChamps
11-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Did you decide to look at the stats or just post without info like always? He played last year basically at the same level as his whole career before his long stint with one big injury that kept him out for a really long time that didn't seem to bother him at all ever since he got back to a 100%.

He had an .832 OPS in 2018 and has a career .781 OPS but isn't the player he was a few years ago? He only had one year that was clearly on another level and that was 2014 with a .890 ish OPS. He's not a star... we aren't looking for a star... As always you prove you don't follow baseball at all and don't care.

Did you bother to actually read my post or just make your asinine assumptions like you always do? I am speaking about both Brantley and McCutch. It’s laughable that you want either of these guys on the roster.

zbhargrove
11-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Did you bother to actually read my post or just make your asinine assumptions like you always do? I am speaking about both Brantley and McCutch. It’s laughable that you want either of these guys on the roster.

It's asinine that you believe that either of these guys aren't worth being on our roster. I did read... Brantley being oft injured is a tired narrative that isn't true. It was one serious injury that he has recovered from. Okay, Cutch isn't an MVP caliber candidate anymore... you know, just still really good... lol, you're an idiot

thewupk
11-11-2018, 10:48 AM

You do realize that Brantley is an upgrade over Markakis right?

Enscheff
11-11-2018, 11:34 AM
The difference between niner and clv is that niner is trying to be stupid, while it just happens naturally for clv.

Niner is pretty clearly just a guy who stops by every few days to stir the pot. I’m a little surprised he isn’t on everyone’s ignore list.

jsebe10
11-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Nickel and diming. The Braves way.

Most GMs ask for a list of free agents...ours has to ask for a list of players coming off major injury who may be a cheap fckn bargain to find lightning in a bottle.

Enscheff
11-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Nickel and diming. The Braves way.

Most GMs ask for a list of free agents...ours has to ask for a list of players coming off major injury who may be a cheap fckn bargain to find lightning in a bottle.

You realize the only FAs the Braves cant afford are the ones projected to sign record setting $350M+ contracts who will only be pursued by 4-5 teams, right? They are strongly linked to every valuable trade candidate and every other FA on the market.

As usual, a poorly thought out comment from the guy who has to sneak obscenities into his post.

clvclv
11-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Maybe the Braves just promote a prospect then?

That would surely make you happy, right?

clvclv
11-11-2018, 12:47 PM
The difference between niner and clv is that niner is trying to be stupid, while it just happens naturally for clv.

Niner is pretty clearly just a guy who stops by every few days to stir the pot. I’m a little surprised he isn’t on everyone’s ignore list.

And again, I'm the one with a complex. Really sad that you can't find better ways to spend your time.

NinersSBChamps
11-11-2018, 09:06 PM
You do realize that Brantley is an upgrade over Markakis right?

Maybe. Maybe not. Markakis is coming off his best season in awhile and there is no reason he can’t replicate something like that in 2019. I don’t dislike Brantley, but the sights need to be set a little higher than that in my opinion.

thewupk
11-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. Markakis is coming off his best season in awhile and there is no reason he can’t replicate something like that in 2019. I don’t dislike Brantley, but the sights need to be set a little higher than that in my opinion.

Well Brantely had a better 2018 than Neck for one. And two Neck had a great 1st half but went back to hitting like his prior years in Atlanta in the 2nd half. So yeah I find don't think he comes close to repeating his 2018 overall

BeanieAntics
11-11-2018, 09:53 PM

........There is every reason in the world to believe that he won't repeat it in 2019.

NinersSBChamps
11-11-2018, 09:57 PM
........There is every reason in the world to believe that he won't repeat it in 2019.

Because he’s unfairly hated by this board. Makes total sense.

msstate7
11-11-2018, 10:06 PM

I don't wanna resign nick, but what is the reasoning that he won't repeat last season? Babip was .318 (career .317). He struck out less, but not a crazy number... 11.3% this season (13.2% career).

thewupk
11-11-2018, 10:24 PM
I don't wanna resign nick, but what is the reasoning that he won't repeat last season? Babip was .318 (career .317). He struck out less, but not a crazy number... 11.3% this season (13.2% career).

K rate was lower by a good amount the last few years. Iso was higher as well. ISO dropped to normal levels in the 2nd half and you saw normal neck production. He will have a 90 wrc+ next year. Just like the 2nd half of last year. Just like 2016 and 2017.

BeanieAntics
11-11-2018, 10:32 PM

He's one year older, the fact that he hadn't had an OPS over .746 since 2012, his late season regression... The metrics suggest that nothing he did last year was unusual, but you'd have to forgive me for trusting the past six years of data over a 4 month span where he was out of his mind. He's probably not gonna repeat last year. Or at least he isn't going to repeat the first 4 months of last year.

In all likelihood he'll be the same ~.740 OPS player that he has been since 2012. Is there a chance that he has another .800+? Sure, but to say it is likely is a bit silly

Super
11-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Neck was good for half the year. then he became the same exact player from the prior 3 years in the 2nd half. that's a great sign he won't do what he did for one half again.