PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Questions

AerchAngel
10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I am thinking of getting my wife a Kindle for Christmas. I do not know much about them or iPhones or iPads or the like.

She loves to read and heard this is the device to get.

So can someone give me the skinny on them, please?

sturg33
10-31-2013, 01:28 PM
I actually support Kindle as one of my clients.

If she only cares about reading - the PaperWhite is the best in the business.

If she wants a tablet - don't get a Kindle.

However, I've read and heard a lot of great things about the new Kindle Fire HDX- with the MayDay capability. I haven't used it yet (not available yet), but it looks pretty sweet.

Tapate50
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Sturg is dead on. If she is about reading, then a kindle is great. If apps, browsing, pictures, etc are her priority then tablet is better for that. I use the kindle app on my iphone regularly though.

AerchAngel
10-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Don't you have to have a internet prescription to do apps?

I think she only wants to read, but she is heavy into pictures/photography as well.

I will not get a tablet.......cost too much for what you want to do with it. I have a laptop and only the 5 year old uses it to play Disney games.

Can you use the PaperWhite with Amazon Prime?

sturg33
10-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Don't you have to have a internet prescription to do apps?

I think she only wants to read, but she is heavy into pictures/photography as well.

I will not get a tablet.......cost too much for what you want to do with it. I have a laptop and only the 5 year old uses it to play Disney games.

Can you use the PaperWhite with Amazon Prime?

Yes. Also - AMZ Prime allows you to borrow a book for free and keep it as long as you want - the only catch is you can only have one at a time.

If she wants something to load pictures on, the paper white is not an option. To be honest, the Kindle tablets are not that expensive. Amazon loses about $12 for everyone they sell. It's all about the content with them.

If you're going for a do-it-all affordable tablet, go with the Google Nexus.

AerchAngel
10-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Yes. Also - AMZ Prime allows you to borrow a book for free and keep it as long as you want - the only catch is you can only have one at a time.

If she wants something to load pictures on, the paper white is not an option. To be honest, the Kindle tablets are not that expensive. Amazon loses about $12 for everyone they sell. It's all about the content with them.

If you're going for a do-it-all affordable tablet, go with the Google Nexus.

Can you still purchase the same eBooks used for the Kindle and do Amazon prime if you get the Google nexus?

sturg33
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Can you still purchase the same eBooks used for the Kindle and do Amazon prime if you get the Google nexus?

Of course

Krgrecw
10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
AA, You can also log onto the local library and 'download books' for free.
There's are also Apps: Oyster and Sribd. Theyare a netflix like app for avid readers. A recent Review of those apps on allthingsD.com

AerchAngel
10-31-2013, 07:58 PM
AA, You can also log onto the local library and 'download books' for free.
There's are also Apps: Oyster and Sribd. Theyare a netflix like app for avid readers. A recent Review of those apps on allthingsD.com

Thanks

Kindle
Nexus
Nextbook
Nook

Price range from $109 to $229.

She only wants to read and share pics when she is out and about to show friends or family. Not into surfing, games or getting the latest stock quotes.

zitothebrave
10-31-2013, 08:09 PM
I would recommend the nexus. I think it's cleaner than the other ones

The Chosen One
11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
AA try and see if some store will let you use your EBT to get the IPAD?

AerchAngel
11-02-2013, 09:13 AM
AA try and see if some store will let you use your EBT to get the IPAD?

I do not want any Apple products.

Overpriced and you have to upgrade every year or two to obtain the latest OS and if you don't have the hardware, you are forced to buy it.