PDA

View Full Version : Buchter and Obispo Added to the 40-Man Roster

nsacpi
11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Two solid additions. Both would have been six-year free agents I believe. They will be competing for bullpen spots in spring training.

nsacpi
11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Roster currently at 39, assuming Reed Johnson's option gets picked up. Thought Poveda would have been worth adding as well.

The roster currently includes Janish and Martinez, who will probably be non-tendered. Martinez had shoulder surgery about three months ago. Not sure what his timetable for pitching again looks like. They may want to sign him to a minor league deal.

nsacpi
11-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Next year we could be facing a 40-man roster crunch. Players newly eligible for the Rule 5 draft will include La Stella, Salcedo, Graham, Martin, Lipka, Gilmartin, Kubitza, Lamm, Schlosser, Cornely, Harper.

We might lose a couple of those. This year, there is not much risk of losing a player. Mycal Jones might be the one most likely to be taken this year.

Braves1976
11-02-2013, 09:54 AM
As usual I agree with nsacpi, both Obispo and Buchter were good adds. If they weren't added they likely sign elsewhere. I still question not calling up Obispo given our needs this past Sept. I also hope we can re-sign Poveda to a minor league deal.

KB21
11-02-2013, 10:16 AM
We've got a lot of interesting names that could be added to the bullpen if they choose to build from within. And most of them are power pitchers.

With EOF being a free agent and the Braves possibly nontendering Johnny Venters, Buchter is a guy they need to give a long look to as a lefty out of the pen. Possible LOOGY with potential to be a hold man.

Shae Simmons may make his debut before long, and John Cornely may not be far behind him. If Juan Jamie can figure things out, he's another arm. Then, you have guys starting in the minors that may end up being pen arms in JR Graham, Cody Martin, and Gus Schlosser.

skidlee
11-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Highly unlikely the braves non-tender Venters

rico43
11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Highly unlikely the braves non-tender Venters

Bet the house they non-tender CMart. Beyond that, would not speculate.

skidlee
11-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I can see C-mart being Non-tendered. 7th man in the pen coming off an injury not really a tough call. Venters is a different story. Power lefty that has been dominant in the past. Its worth the risk to pay him a few million to see how he comes back from injury

CyYoung31
11-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Obispo? Sounds like a sabermetric.

stpeteirish
11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I can see C-mart being Non-tendered. 7th man in the pen coming off an injury not really a tough call. Venters is a different story. Power lefty that has been dominant in the past. Its worth the risk to pay him a few million to see how he comes back from injury

I'd like to see Venters' deal mostly incentive based as this is his 2nd TJ surg. That would involve avoiding arb which we could do if we make the pot sweet enough.