PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins Richie Incognito Texts

Krgrecw
11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Transcripts of voice mail messages and text messages left for the Miami Dolphins' Jonathan Martin by teammate Richie Incognito indicate a pattern of racial epithets and profane language.

Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN that the following is a transcript of a voice message Incognito left for Martin in April 2013, a year after Martin was drafted:

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Does the NFL blackball his ass?

The Chosen One
11-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Same as the bounty thing. It's been going on for years, so he's going to made example of.

It'll probably continue, but if it gets too big t here will be consequences.

CK86
11-05-2013, 12:13 AM
I think he's done.

goldfly
11-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Hope Martin gets paid from this

absurd that the Dolphins would let it go this far

Gary82
11-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Is this the NFL's idea of rookie hazing?

zitothebrave
11-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Is this the NFL's idea of rookie hazing?

Yeah. What happened to making them dress like women? Or giving them terrible haircuts or whatever. And usually it stops after the first year. Though by most accounts incognito is a grade A doucher so I'm not surprised if he's a team leader that the dolphins would be that ****ed up.

Tapate50
11-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Classic case of Incognito being well...not.

Pretty crass fellow apparently.

Krgrecw
11-05-2013, 08:51 AM
This isn't hazing. Incognito has a history of being a dick and this Martin fellow obviously has some 'mental issues' Looks like its 100% incognito being a bully to a person who he knows can't take it and won't fight back.

I can't cut and paste Incognitos timeline in here but to be kicked out of a college, transfer than only a month later, get kicked out of the second school is pretty incredible. Makes you wonder if something bad happened at school A that School B found out and let him go too after only a month

Incognito has to be an idiot to still have pictures of him making fun of Martin up in his twitter.

AerchAngel
11-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Some people in the locker room thinks this is snitching, but if you rather have dead Incognito (well people don't actually care about this d-bag) than a live one with no job, most sane people would rather have him live. Most players would have just beat him up or shot him considering the mindset of this world today. So many people are bullied don't say anything and just commit suicide or the opposite, kill their oppressors. Thankfully a really educated guy did the right thing and say the NFL do something about this or I will in the above sentence.

50PoundHead
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't follow pro football the way I used to, but I just shook my head when this story hit the radar. I imagine there's been all kinds of rookie hazing over the years. I remember the annual stunts when the Vikings would make the rookies wear dresses and carry the veterans' luggage. All in good fun (although still incredibly stupid). But when I read about Incognito, all I could think is "WTF?" Where is the coach in all of this? And Incognito's IQ must be right around 70, because in the era of the twitterverse and voice-mail, he's just leaving his little pearls of wisdom around for everyone to see.

The Chosen One
11-06-2013, 06:07 PM
This story just got more interesting.

All of Incognito's teammates (Especially the black ones) are stepping up and defending Richie, saying he's not racist and he's an honorary black teammate...

jpx7
11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I think this has been my favorite quote throughout this flap:

"Before, he wasn't around Nebraska, LSU kind of guys," Eumont, a former Tulane offensive guard, told the Palm Beach Post. "He's always been around Stanford, Duke, Rice kind of players."

Eumont goes on to place the Universities of Southern California and Miami in the "Nebraska, LSU" zone.

jpx7
11-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Also: between issues like this Incognito imbroglio and more and more headlines like this (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9931754/former-nfl-stars-tony-dorsett-leonard-marshall-joe-delameilleure-show-indicators-cte-resulting-football-concussions), the NFL's future is looking more and more precarious. Like the O'Doyle family, I've got a feeling this whole league's going down.

AerchAngel
11-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I think this has been my favorite quote throughout this flap:

Eumont goes on to place the Universities of Southern California and Miami in the "Nebraska, LSU" zone.

Basically saying Thug U type of universities.

Krgrecw
11-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Never thought of Nebraska as a 'thug' type of college

Figured it was a 'farm boy' type of team.

Tapate50
11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Just because he was ****ty to a guy of a different color doesn't make him a racist. Just a huge asshole.

jpx7
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
A great take (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9939308/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-bullying-scandal):

There will always be locker-room assholes. They should be curtailed. And when a player says he needs time off for mental reasons — again: in a sport with a suicide problem — it shouldn't spark a national conversation on whether he's soft.

Julio3000
11-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Thank you for posting that.

I just despise the garbage about how grown men can't get paid to play a sport without all of this. That's horse****. If the people at the top of the org chart are permissive, it'll happen. If they aren't, it won't. Don't make excuses for assholes.

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Soft? Shrewd? Maybe some of both. Or just really good guy? Team seems to really be rallying around Incognito instead. I suspect this is pretty common place in the NFL. You've certainly seen stuff like this it up close and personal if you've ever worked in a physically-demanding, male-dominated industry. Goodness, I soon found out I was no longer in Sunday School when I went into such a world during my early work days.

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Thank you for posting that.

I just despise the garbage about how grown men can't get paid to play a sport without all of this. That's horse****. If the people at the top of the org chart are permissive, it'll happen. If they aren't, it won't. Don't make excuses for assholes.

I suspect they weren't so much permissive as they were directing Incognito to "toughen" the guy up.

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Also, you guys on here talk this sort of trash all the time. Why does this story bother you so much? I don't quite get it.

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Oh, and to be clear - I think this sort of culture is hideous...

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Nice article (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941696/jonathan-martin-walked-twisted-world-led-incognito)

Julio3000
11-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Soft? Shrewd? Maybe some of both. Or just really good guy? Team seems to really be rallying around Incognito instead. I suspect this is pretty common place in the NFL. You've certainly seen stuff like this it up close and personal if you've ever worked in a physically-demanding, male-dominated industry. Goodness, I soon found out I was no longer in Sunday School when I went into such a world during my early work days.

Right, and I have no question about whether or not it's prevalent. I've been there (in that kind of environment, not the nfl). Many of us have, probably. My question is whether it's necessary or unavoidable.

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I think it is inevitable in a Fallen world. Yet, inevitability shouldn't then be used as an excuse.

Julio3000
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Also, you guys on here talk this sort of trash all the time. Why does this story bother you so much? I don't quite get it.

I'm not offended by the word "****ing," or sh*t," or, even, under certain circumstances, "n*****," though admittedly the latter is in a different category.

I've got a knife. I can use it for entertainment, for survival, to aid another person, or to cut someone. I think the context in which it's used matters a great deal.

jpx7
11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
I think the context in which it's used matters a great deal (http://assets1.theroomsoundboard.com/ItMattersAGreatDeal.mp3).

BedellBrave
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm not offended by the word "****ing," or sh*t," or, even, under certain circumstances, "n*****," though admittedly the latter is in a different category.

I've got a knife. I can use it for entertainment, for survival, to aid another person, or to cut someone. I think the context in which it's used matters a great deal.

True enough, but we often aren't the best judges of when helping becomes or is hurting...

BedellBrave
11-10-2013, 09:22 PM
More here (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9955599/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-only-product-environment).

Runnin
11-11-2013, 12:04 AM
I haven't followed this story much, just not that interested, but if you can't take that level of trash talking you don't need to be in professional football.

I don't think that kind of language is necessary but linemen communicate in a much rawer and direct way than most people and their word choices reflect that. Aren't they all hopped up on steroids?

yeezus
11-11-2013, 02:44 AM
The more i hear about this, the more I'm on Incognito's side. He and Martin exchanged texts after Martin left, and all was good and friendly. They were reportedly best friends, or at least Richie spoke to him the most. The Martin files a complaint? Sounds like he just kind of snapped suddenly.

Krgrecw
11-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I think Martins a mental case. I believe the reason Martin reached out to Richie is because 'he didn't want Richie mad at him'. You see a lot of abused people act like this: 'I don't want him in trouble' 'please don't be mad at me' 'Are you mad at me' A mental version of 'Stockholm syndrome'